Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:43 pm

DL cuts appear to be this:
IND-LAX decreased to 4x weekly
IND-ATL decreased to 9x daily
IND-MCO dropped for April/May

No changes to IND-CDG yet, but I'm sure they are coming
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
kindeham
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:07 pm

American is pulling the plug on several transatlantic routes this morning. That's not too shocking considering the numbers I was seeing yesterday.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:13 pm

Will Contour actually start serving the announced routes out of IND given the current free fall in airlines ?
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:32 pm

If this thing continues past Easter, I'd say no.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:02 pm

stlgph wrote:
If this thing continues past Easter, I'd say no.


crjflyboy wrote:
Will Contour actually start serving the announced routes out of IND given the current free fall in airlines ?


Since a lot of the IND flying for them is "utilization flying," for example running TUP-BNA-IND-BNA-TUP, I think the worst case scenario is they will push the start date back. But since they already get Federal Grants for the BNA-TUP legs, I don't see them pulling out of any IND routes long-term because they have nothing else to regularly do with the aircraft during the day
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
stlgph wrote:
If this thing continues past Easter, I'd say no.


crjflyboy wrote:
Will Contour actually start serving the announced routes out of IND given the current free fall in airlines ?


Since a lot of the IND flying for them is "utilization flying," for example running TUP-BNA-IND-BNA-TUP, I think the worst case scenario is they will push the start date back. But since they already get Federal Grants for the BNA-TUP legs, I don't see them pulling out of any IND routes long-term because they have nothing else to regularly do with the aircraft during the day


You don't run empty planes burning up thousands in costs because the planes have nothing else to do.

IND will burn through their cash guarantee for the routes in just a couple of weeks.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
stlgph wrote:
If this thing continues past Easter, I'd say no.


crjflyboy wrote:
Will Contour actually start serving the announced routes out of IND given the current free fall in airlines ?


Since a lot of the IND flying for them is "utilization flying," for example running TUP-BNA-IND-BNA-TUP, I think the worst case scenario is they will push the start date back. But since they already get Federal Grants for the BNA-TUP legs, I don't see them pulling out of any IND routes long-term because they have nothing else to regularly do with the aircraft during the day


You don't run empty planes burning up thousands in costs because the planes have nothing else to do.

IND will burn through their cash guarantee for the routes in just a couple of weeks.


Did you read what I just wrote, I said I don't see them pulling out of any routes long-term, anything other than that is completely understandable and likely
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Re: Contour

One thing that bodes well for them is that they do have an airport management which would probably work with them if they wanted to push back the start date.

If they don't come in in June I wouldn't be surprised to see a September start.


Then again, this is just me yappin out loud with some bar talk.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:02 pm

stlgph wrote:
Re: Contour

One thing that bodes well for them is that they do have an airport management which would probably work with them if they wanted to push back the start date.

If they don't come in in June I wouldn't be surprised to see a September start.


Then again, this is just me yappin out loud with some bar talk.


I'd be shocked if IND does not work with them ... no reason to burn cash for no reason
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:14 am

Midwestindy wrote:
DL cuts appear to be this:
IND-LAX decreased to 4x weekly
IND-ATL decreased to 9x daily
IND-MCO dropped for April/May

No changes to IND-CDG yet, but I'm sure they are coming


Just dawned on me that we never saw the 2nd announce SLC flight come on the published schedule, either.
At this point, probably won't happen. At least the press release is already written for when it does.


Be anxious to see the American cuts and if Boston gets pushed back.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:31 am

stlgph wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
DL cuts appear to be this:
IND-LAX decreased to 4x weekly
IND-ATL decreased to 9x daily
IND-MCO dropped for April/May

No changes to IND-CDG yet, but I'm sure they are coming


Just dawned on me that we never saw the 2nd announce SLC flight come on the published schedule, either.
At this point, probably won't happen. At least the press release is already written for when it does.


Be anxious to see the American cuts and if Boston gets pushed back.


Yeah, I think the SLC situtation is discussed a bit up thread, I think the consensus was that DL changed its mind once AS announced a second SEA frequency.

Looking back, it was probably a good thing 2nd SLC didn't come this summer, as there is a huge uptick in west coast this summer & yields would have likely suffered with out even factoring in the virus. More service is good, but you don't want to cannibalize your existing network.

Next summer seems like a guarantee for it to finally actually go 2x daily, since DL is scheduling B739/A321s to SLC/LAX for the summer.

For AA cuts, IND-BOS, IND-JFK, 2nd IND-LAX, Mainline to ORD/PHL are my first guesses

In terms of NK, they appear to be cutting back IND-TPA to 5x weekly, and dropping IND-RSW for a couple weeks at the end of April
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
fedex1
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 am

ALL travel to EUROPE from the United States ends for 30 days this Friday. Well by CDG for 30 days... question, will Delta bring it back!?
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 am

I'll be the first to say no.

And I hope I'm wrong.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:43 am

fedex1 wrote:
ALL travel to EUROPE from the United States ends for 30 days this Friday. Well by CDG for 30 days... question, will Delta bring it back!?


We got much bigger issues to worry about right now...the financial stability of the airline industry....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
fedex1
Posts: 357
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:50 am

I agree. Airline industry? I saw the American economy in general.
 
Indy
Posts: 4930
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:58 am

These movies are irrational, emotional, and panicky. None of this is being well thought out. To think you can cheat the flu season is simply idiotic. The only thing we are going to do is drag out the inevitable and do significant damage in the process. Let the virus run its course and this will all be over with the rest of the flu season.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:13 am

Indy wrote:
These movies are irrational, emotional, and panicky. None of this is being well thought out. To think you can cheat the flu season is simply idiotic. The only thing we are going to do is drag out the inevitable and do significant damage in the process. Let the virus run its course and this will all be over with the rest of the flu season.


Overreaction is better than under-reaction

I don't agree with every decision made by the US up to this point, but it's time to start taking this seriously, if you haven't already.

I can't imagine how bad it could have gotten at this point if people just "let the virus run its course."
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:15 am

Indy wrote:
These movies are irrational, emotional, and panicky. None of this is being well thought out. To think you can cheat the flu season is simply idiotic. The only thing we are going to do is drag out the inevitable and do significant damage in the process. Let the virus run its course and this will all be over with the rest of the flu season.

Yup. The media is more dangerous than the virus.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:23 am

Indy wrote:
These movies are irrational, emotional, and panicky. None of this is being well thought out. To think you can cheat the flu season is simply idiotic. The only thing we are going to do is drag out the inevitable and do significant damage in the process. Let the virus run its course and this will all be over with the rest of the flu season.

This isn't the flu. The flu doesn't have a 5-10% mortality rate
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 2366
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:25 am

zackary747 wrote:
Indy wrote:
These movies are irrational, emotional, and panicky. None of this is being well thought out. To think you can cheat the flu season is simply idiotic. The only thing we are going to do is drag out the inevitable and do significant damage in the process. Let the virus run its course and this will all be over with the rest of the flu season.

Yup. The media is more dangerous than the virus.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You say this now, wait till the virus makes its way to the midwest. It is awful on the east and west.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:51 am

Overview from Delta on transatlantic plan.

Paris isn't cut, just reduced when the ban is lifted to four times weekly. Lots of cuts going all around the system to Paris, including their major hubs, so that's a good sign the service isn't being reduced entirely.

https://news.delta.com/trans-atlantic-f ... xRMWWjqMjI
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:52 am

stlgph wrote:
Overview from Delta on transatlantic plan.

Paris isn't cut, just reduced when the ban is lifted to four times weekly. Lots of cuts going all around the system to Paris, including their major hubs, so that's a good sign the service isn't being reduced entirely.

https://news.delta.com/trans-atlantic-f ... xRMWWjqMjI

The pond is going to get quiet soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:55 am

stlgph wrote:
Overview from Delta on transatlantic plan.

Paris isn't cut, just reduced when the ban is lifted to four times weekly. Lots of cuts going all around the system to Paris, including their major hubs, so that's a good sign the service isn't being reduced entirely.

https://news.delta.com/trans-atlantic-f ... xRMWWjqMjI


Time stamp is from 1:30pm, which was before the US announcement
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Indy
Posts: 4930
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:48 pm

stl07 wrote:
This isn't the flu. The flu doesn't have a 5-10% mortality rate


And coronavirus doesn't have a 5-10% mortality rate either. That is the fear mongering taking its toll. For most people, the symptoms are mild. And just like with the flu that everyone knows and hates, the acute cases are the ones that cause problems for an at risk segment of the population. I've seen articles asking how you can tell if you have the flu or coronavirus and basically the consensus is that you cannot tell the difference. The symptoms are the same. Imagine if we had given a boogieman name to the flu that hit the U.S. a couple of years ago. It would have been the same irrational panic. That year 80,000 people died in the U.S. Imagine if coronavirus was just called a new strain of the flu. People would hardly take notice. They would go on about their lives on the world would go on.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Indy wrote:
stl07 wrote:
This isn't the flu. The flu doesn't have a 5-10% mortality rate


And coronavirus doesn't have a 5-10% mortality rate either. That is the fear mongering taking its toll. For most people, the symptoms are mild. And just like with the flu that everyone knows and hates, the acute cases are the ones that cause problems for an at risk segment of the population. I've seen articles asking how you can tell if you have the flu or coronavirus and basically the consensus is that you cannot tell the difference. The symptoms are the same. Imagine if we had given a boogieman name to the flu that hit the U.S. a couple of years ago. It would have been the same irrational panic. That year 80,000 people died in the U.S. Imagine if coronavirus was just called a new strain of the flu. People would hardly take notice. They would go on about their lives on the world would go on.


That type of thinking is quite selfish, while I have no fear of this illness, I do worry that I could unknowingly transmit the illness to someone in my family who is elderly or at risk. Everyone should be taking precautions to ensure that they don't transmit the illness to someone at risk, even if there is a near zero chance of them becoming dangerously ill from the sickness.
Image
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3446
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 pm

IND-CDG as been suspended for the next month
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:46 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
IND-CDG as been suspended for the next month


As with pretty much almost every other TATL flight from the US (with the exception of the UK and Ireland of course)
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)
 
Indy
Posts: 4930
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm

A recent WSJ report paints a different picture.

"But public-health scientists say the real death rate is probably lower than the current estimates. U.S. health officials suggested in another article in the New England Journal of Medicine that the death rate could be well below 1%. (Other estimates have ranged between 1% and 2%.) That’s because current calculations are based on tallies of people who were ill enough to be tested, they wrote."

The reasoning...

"Epidemiologists say they are certain there are many more people who were infected but didn’t receive a test—either because they weren’t ill enough to get one or didn’t have access to a test. Problems with a test developed in the U.S. means many people haven’t been able to get one."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronaviru ... 1583856879

That article also suggests the flu would be similar to Covid-19 if it weren't for the vaccine. My guess is we are looking to an outbreak similar to what we saw a couple of years ago that killed 80,000 people in the U.S. Imagine how bad it would have been without the flu vaccine. Running and hiding from every virus that comes around isn't going to help us as a species. We were bless with an immune system that adapts. Trying to live in a sterile world only puts us more at risk.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Held off on posting about WN's schedule extension or LFs yesterday, but I'll post today:

WN September (compared to LYs schedule before MAX cuts):
Per Weekday: +2 flights (+1 BWI/DAL/DEN/MCO/RSW, -1 LAX/LAS/OAK) 7.9% increase in seats per weekday
Per Saturday: +2 flights (+1 ATL/FLL/RSW/MCO, -1 BOS/MCI) 7.7% increase in seats per Saturday
Per Sunday: +4 flights (+2 DAL/TPA, +1 BWI/DEN/HOU/MCO/RSW, -2 MDW, -1 LAX/MCI/MSY) 18.4% increase in seats per Sunday

WN October (compared to LYs schedule before MAX cuts):
Per Weekday: +1 flight (+1 DAL/MCO, -1 OAK) 1.7% increase in seats per weekday (19.7% increase from Post-MAX cut schedule)
Per Saturday: +7 flights (+1 DEN/LAS/MCO/PHX/RSW/TPA/FLL) 22.6% increase in seats per Saturday (30.9% increase from Post-MAX cut schedule)
Per Sunday: +1 flight (+1 BWI/DAL/DEN/FLL, -2 MDW, -1 ATL) 4.3% increase in seats per Sunday

Important notes:
-IND-BWI/DEN are both 5x on Sundays
-IND-RSW is tied with MDW/BWI for most frequencies to RSW on Saturdays (4)
-IND-MCO is up to 7x on Saturdays in October
-IND-LAX dropped for September

September Int'l LF:
*Extra weekly
IND-CDG-76.6% (Last year: 63.4%)
CDG-IND-78.8% (Last year: 64.0%)

Comparison:
CVG-CDG-82.7%; CDG-CVG-78.7%

IND-YYZ-76.0%; YYZ-IND-79.2%

December LF:
AS IND-SEA-86.1%

G4 IND-FLL-92.7%
G4 IND-SFB-92.2%
G4 IND-LAS-88.5%
G4 IND-PIE-85.8%
G4 IND-JAX-85.0%
G4 IND-SRQ-83.5%
G4 IND-PGD-83.5%
G4 IND-TUS-83.4%
G4 IND-AUS-79.6%
G4 IND-PBI-76.2%

AA IND-LAX-91.6%
AA IND-PHX-89.4%
AA IND-DFW-86.6%
AA IND-JFK-85.9%
AA IND-LGA-85.5%;
AA IND-CLT-84.0%
AA IND-MIA-80.0%
AA IND-DCA-78.0%
AA IND-PHL-77.8%

DL IND-LAX-90.3%
DL IND-SEA-88.6%
DL IND-ATL-88.6%
DL IND-MCO-85.2%
DL IND-RDU-80.4%
DL IND-MSP-79.4%
DL IND-JFK-79.1%
DL IND-SLC-78.4%
DL IND-DTW-77.8%
DL IND-BOS-71.4%

F9 IND-MCO-93.4%
F9 IND-LAS-92.6%
F9 IND-DEN-89.9%
F9 IND-RSW-77.5%

WN IND-LAX-89.4%
WN IND-LAS-89.3%
WN IND-AUS-89.0%
WN IND-PHX-88.7%
WN IND-DEN-88.2%
WN IND-HOU-86.7%
WN IND-MCO-85.7%
WN IND-FLL-82.9%
WN IND-OAK-82.1%
WN IND-ATL-81.3%
WN IND-MDW-79.0%
WN IND-RSW-78.8%;
WN IND-TPA-78.3%
WN IND-BWI-77.5%
WN IND-DAL-75.6%
WN IND-MCI-69.4%

NK IND-MCO-82.7%
NK IND-LAS-79.2%
NK IND-TPA-71.4%
NK IND-RSW-66.0%

UA IND-IAH-92.9%
UA IND-EWR-89.0%
UA IND-DEN-86.9%
UA IND-IAD-85.6%
UA IND-SFO-84.7%
UA IND-ORD-81.4%
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:57 pm

Why on earth are any of you trying to downplay COVID right now? Error on the side of caution, for the sake of your family and neighbors.
 
Indy
Posts: 4930
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:39 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
Why on earth are any of you trying to downplay COVID right now? Error on the side of caution, for the sake of your family and neighbors.


Error on the side of caution? Absolutely. I do that every flu season. Error on the side of panic like what you see today? Noooooo
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 548
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:51 pm

This has a much higher mortality rate than the flu. If as many people get this virus as the CDC expects, we could have 1-4 million dead Americans. If you aren't taking this more seriously than the flu, you are being incredibly ignorant and selfish.

Ohio thinks it actually has over 100,000 cases in the state already, but can't confirm anything due to the lack of available testing from the government. This whole thing is completely botched.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... -OeruDRoKM
 
Indy
Posts: 4930
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:11 pm

If you believe we are going to lose 1-4 million in the country you are buying into the fear mongering. As testing expands, the mortality rate plummets. Remember when it first came out and it was like 10%? It was bad science because you had a limited sample of only the worst cases. But as more and more people get tested, you get a better sample. You start to include the less sick. And as I posted before, it is predicted the number will be well below 1% when you take into account the number of people who are infected but don't even know it because they think it is just a cold or something else. The flu is bad. Always is. But we do not need to be irrational about it.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Saying "it's just the flu and we have that every year," is woefully ignorant. The bigger deal here is the spread and the amount of health care services that it will be taking up. If hospital beds are full with this, and you have another ailment -- good luck to you! Have fun with that.

The bigger deal *HERE* is that it's well on its way to wrecking the economy. As we're already starting to see, that doesn't bode well for your local community airport. And if this thing continues, and the Kentucky Derby and the Indy 500 get the axe, that *really* won't bode well for your local community airport.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:01 pm

A lot of cuts are going to come in tonight for the different airlines, I'll try to post the Indy changes in the morning

stlgph wrote:
Saying "it's just the flu and we have that every year," is woefully ignorant. The bigger deal here is the spread and the amount of health care services that it will be taking up. If hospital beds are full with this, and you have another ailment -- good luck to you! Have fun with that.

The bigger deal *HERE* is that it's well on its way to wrecking the economy. As we're already starting to see, that doesn't bode well for your local community airport. And if this thing continues, and the Kentucky Derby and the Indy 500 get the axe, that *really* won't bode well for your local community airport.


At this point the Indy 500 is pretty far down the list in terms of potential impacts to IND. There are dozens of shops & restaurants at IND that will have little to no customers for the next few months, not to mention all the airline/airport/rental car staff

With FX still going, they'll have some revenue coming in
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:14 pm

More than just an off the cuff impact on the airport but entities serving activities of interest....funded through hotel tax revenue.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
IndyHoosier
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:35 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:09 am

Indy wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:
Why on earth are any of you trying to downplay COVID right now? Error on the side of caution, for the sake of your family and neighbors.


Error on the side of caution? Absolutely. I do that every flu season. Error on the side of panic like what you see today? Noooooo


I don't know what your agenda is, but you are disgustingly ignorant.
 
IndyHoosier
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:35 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:11 am

.
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1373
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:24 am

The full economic impact is hard to fathom. I’ve heard of catering companies letting go literally their entire staff. I’m on a road trip to DC, saw a only one charter bus in 300 miles— not normal on the way to the world capital of 8th grade spring field trips. Hampton type hotels usually packed with children’s sports teams but not now. What I wonder about for Indy and elsewhere is what the crash in traffic will mean for airport debt service.
 
Moosefire
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Can we contain the Covid-19 discussion to the assigned thread please?
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:32 pm

No update on schedule changes yet, but I do wonder if there could be an slight uptick in cargo for the next few months given the pharma industry in Indiana. Roche announced yesterday that they got approval for their Coronavirus test and were getting ready to ship hundreds of thousands of tests from IND.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:34 pm

Might be perhaps a bit premature but has anyone heard anything about job cuts at the vendors at the airport? I would imagine with the flight cuts and an anticipated drop in traffic for the next 30-40 or 60 or even more days that a number of vendors would be cutting back on the schedules because of too much staffing for not enough customers.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
COSPN
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:57 pm

Looks like all construction has stopped on the new food areas 500 grill 96th st burgerA auntie Annie’s closed ...stacked pickle shake shack bubs burger hot box bens pretzels all failed to open on tine so mabe they will just not open at all really sad..A is like no food zone
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Here is what I have seen for DL, for the first 2 weeks of April in terms of change in daily flights:
(original daily flights)
IND-ATL -2 (10)
IND-BOS -1 (4)
IND-LGA -1 (5)
IND-JFK -1 (3)
IND-DTW -1 (7)
IND-MSP -1 (5)
IND-SLC down to 5x weekly (daily)
IND-LAX down to 4x weekly (6x weekly)
IND-RDU dropped through April 12th (2x daily except Saturday)
IND-CDG dropped through April 14th (Originally 5x weekly, then moved to 4x weekly)
IND-MCO dropped through June 8th (Daily)
IND-RSW ending early

IND-SEA shockingly untouched for now
IND-CUN operates as normal
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
User avatar
zackary747
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:11 am

COSPN wrote:
Looks like all construction has stopped on the new food areas 500 grill 96th st burgerA auntie Annie’s closed ...stacked pickle shake shack bubs burger hot box bens pretzels all failed to open on tine so mabe they will just not open at all really sad..A is like no food zone


All those closed locations closed on time as they were intended to. The locations that didn't open on time worse case scenario will be opened on a delay. The airport isn't going to leave half finished tenant space untouched and half finished for the next 10 years......... To even suggest that as a possibility is quite ridiculous.

Stacked Pickle, Shake Shack, and Ben's aren't set to open until Summer 2020 unless they get delayed. They were never intended to open in the Spring. The others. Depends what portion of Spring they intended. It's not specific on the IND website.

MAC Cosmetics just opened for business a couple days ago.

https://www.ind.com/business/concession ... sh-program
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)
 
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Here is what I have seen for DL, for the first 2 weeks of April in terms of change in daily flights:
(original daily flights)
IND-ATL -2 (10)
IND-BOS -1 (4)
IND-LGA -1 (5)
IND-JFK -1 (3)
IND-DTW -1 (7)
IND-MSP -1 (5)
IND-SLC down to 5x weekly (daily)
IND-LAX down to 4x weekly (6x weekly)
IND-RDU dropped through April 12th (2x daily except Saturday)
IND-CDG dropped through April 14th (Originally 5x weekly, then moved to 4x weekly)
IND-MCO dropped through June 8th (Daily)
IND-RSW ending early

IND-SEA shockingly untouched for now
IND-CUN operates as normal


WOW ... massive cuts to DL service ... but justified
 
stlgph
Posts: 11209
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Waiting to see the United cuts since they announced 50% or so being axed.

Haven't heard definite word yet from American, but I presume that's all coming, if not later today.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5123
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:29 pm

crjflyboy wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Here is what I have seen for DL, for the first 2 weeks of April in terms of change in daily flights:
(original daily flights)
IND-ATL -2 (10)
IND-BOS -1 (4)
IND-LGA -1 (5)
IND-JFK -1 (3)
IND-DTW -1 (7)
IND-MSP -1 (5)
IND-SLC down to 5x weekly (daily)
IND-LAX down to 4x weekly (6x weekly)
IND-RDU dropped through April 12th (2x daily except Saturday)
IND-CDG dropped through April 14th (Originally 5x weekly, then moved to 4x weekly)
IND-MCO dropped through June 8th (Daily)
IND-RSW ending early

IND-SEA shockingly untouched for now
IND-CUN operates as normal


WOW ... massive cuts to DL service ... but justified


There may be one or two more rounds of cuts to April/May

stlgph wrote:
Waiting to see the United cuts since they announced 50% or so being axed.

Haven't heard definite word yet from American, but I presume that's all coming, if not later today.


AA cut back on domestic Saturday, didn't post yet though because they hadn't pulled down May yet. Either way there is more to come:

For now April:
PHX -1
LAX -1
DFW -1
ORD -2
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Indianapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Another good question is which carrier outright own their planes with no leases or bank payments on them ... the one that does will be in the best position to rebound the fastest.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos