Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N292UX
Topic Author

Memphis Aviation - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:47 pm

Welcome to the Memphis Aviation 2020 thread.

Continue from the 2019 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1413441&p=21869239&hilit=memphis#p21869239

WaywardMemphian

Re: Memphis Aviation - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:33 pm

We saw Delta add back SLC 5 years after de-hubbing, will we see BOS announced in 2020?

Will WN get their Max's back and announce LAS or PHX after their start up of ATL.

Will AA start up LAX full time after their holiday experiment? Would that kill off the Allegiant flights to LAX. Will Allegiant add more routes? TYS?

New Frontier dart board destinations?

Will we see Spirit start up MEM, will Moxy?

By the end of the year MEM will be gearing up to move all flights to the 2/3rds all new B concourse. We they go ahead and refresh the other 1/3rd?

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:56 pm

I was in MEM over the holidays and noticed that the construction on B seems to finally be advancing nicely ( to the point you can see the dimensions of the new concourse layout all the way to where the"split" occurs).
Just from appearances, to me it does not look like there's really enough gates contained in the main B terminal if all they will renovate is the SE spur. Wayward, do you remember how many gates this gets them to? I think they need to reconsider demolition of C when this is finished.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:31 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I was in MEM over the holidays and noticed that the construction on B seems to finally be advancing nicely ( to the point you can see the dimensions of the new concourse layout all the way to where the"split" occurs).
Just from appearances, to me it does not look like there's really enough gates contained in the main B terminal if all they will renovate is the SE spur. Wayward, do you remember how many gates this gets them to? I think they need to reconsider demolition of C when this is finished.

Only a small portion of C will be razed, the little bit that sticks out on the southern end. They actually put some millions into A to prepare it for Delta for the B project. Afterwards, A and C will be "mothballed" till needed. I read a one point last year the airport thought that all the new parts of B would be full by the time it is completed. There is a map of the supposed gate assignments somewhere on the interwebs, Delta claims most of the Southeast hall of B much like before the rebuild. I posted numerous times that they should have included the Southwest hall at the split with the international gate at the same time to maximize construction cost efficiencies. When I read that article and the statements made by the airport I was prived correct, I imagine after a short period they will announce upgrading the Southwest hall of B as well. A Is nicer than C in my opinion but an attached smaller scale hotel would fit there pretty easy if razed completely and C is still there.

They list 23 gates plus the international gate in the link below, all but two are seemingly spoken for. AC is logical next to United as it is used only once a day. New destinations have be added since this was released. I think Southern Air Express moves to part of A from the old terminal for non secure ground boarding and there's a gate for secured ground boarding in A as well. At one point Via and GLO was listed for that, not anymore,lol maybe Sothern steps up and gets them some 19 seat Textron Sky Couriers and start MSY, XNA, TYS, IND, CVG and STL, lol.

Some info:

https://www.flymemphis.com/Modernization

course layouts can be found here:

https://www.flymemphis.com/modernization-images

N292UX
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:11 pm

I say someone will add BOS-MEM in 2020. I wouldn't rule out AA now considering they've recently added some p2p routes from BOS, including AUS. If that trend continues, I'd assume MEM would be on their radar since they have a rather large station at MEM.

TTailedTiger

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:42 pm

You would think Delta would have wanted the gates closest to their lounge.

malev2012

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:08 am

N292UX wrote:
I say someone will add BOS-MEM in 2020. I wouldn't rule out AA now considering they've recently added some p2p routes from BOS, including AUS. If that trend continues, I'd assume MEM would be on their radar since they have a rather large station at MEM.

No way AA adds BOS. AA doesn't have a lounge in MEM unlike AUS. AA doesn't have OW JV partner offering daily flights on 777/A350 to LHR.

I could see DL adding or even B6 adding well before AA.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

timh4000

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:07 am

I got the red bubble thing from a thread I'm not a part of

CX773W

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:58 pm

Let me raise a bold theory: Within the US, B6 seems to care about serving metropolitan areas that are at least moderately affluent. As Memphis is one of the poorest metropolitan area in the South if not in the US, serving MEM dose not seem to fit the business model at B6.

malev2012

Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:05 pm

CX773W wrote:
Let me raise a bold theory: Within the US, B6 seems to care about serving metropolitan areas that are at least moderately affluent. As Memphis is one of the poorest metropolitan area in the South if not in the US, serving MEM dose not seem to fit the business model at B6.

Definitely get that but B6 needs to expand connections from BOS to make flying B6 better for business passengers. Just saying as B6 grows they can't avoid midsize metros like MEM and OKC.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:25 pm

malev2012 wrote:
CX773W wrote:

Definitely get that but B6 needs to expand connections from BOS to make flying B6 better for business passengers. Just saying as B6 grows they can't avoid midsize metros like MEM and OKC.

There's a PDEW of over 100 to BOS from MEM, I bet 3/4s of that is business related.

AA has been flying mainline equipment to DCA, sometimes two out of the 3 daily flights, there's the PHL and LGA flights as well. WN has added ATL and Increased BWI, someone is seeing increased business to the Northeast. If B6 is going TATL, they may also want some of the 100s of Thousands that visit Memphis from the UK yearly.

New year, another top 10 place to visit list

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... -list.html

ThaneC

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:01 pm

In mid-December 2019 MEM released the chart outlined in this local news article showing current and future nonstop destinations.

Currently, MEM has 81 flights total per day, 40 nonstop flights, 27 cities served. MEM has been in this same stagnant range for several years which means the airport is correctly served based on current passenger demand.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/busin ... id=1&pid=1

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:23 pm

ThaneC wrote:
In mid-December 2019 MEM released the chart outlined in this local news article showing current and future nonstop destinations.

Currently, MEM has 81 flights total per day, 40 nonstop flights, 27 cities served. MEM has been in this same stagnant range for several years which means the airport is correctly served based on current passenger demand.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/busin ... id=1&pid=1

Like I said, you amuse me, we have seen larger equipment on some of those same flights and the growth has been steady year over year. Anywho, stay a Miserables, no one expects anything less.

Delta announced Dec. 17 it would add a nonstop from Memphis to Salt Lake City starting July 6, 2020. It’s Delta’s first new nonstop destination from Memphis since the airline discontinued using Memphis as a connecting hub in 2013.

Delta discontinued a Memphis-Salt Lake City nonstop five years ago.

Cooper said manager of air service research and development Chip Gentry and other airport officials would continue to advocate for nonstops to cities including Boston.

A Boston nonstop would provide a better connection for Boston-based Indigo Ag’s employees traveling to and from their North American commercial operations headquarters in Downtown Memphis.

Also coming up is a new Southwest Airlines flight to Atlanta starting March 7, 2020. Delta has had a monopoly on Memphis-Atlanta service since September 2016, when Frontier exited the market after a brief time.

San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego and Durham, North Carolina also are long-time occupants of the airport’s wish list for new nonstop service.

Airport chief financial officer Forrest Artz said total peak day flights stood at 89 in November, down from 91 a year earlier.

Growth in passenger boardings slowed a bit in November, to 1.3% above November 2018, while enplanements since July 1 were up 3.5%.

Artz said slower growth in November reflected that Thanksgiving occurred so late in the month that many travel itineraries spilled over into December.

Transportation Security Administration data bore that out, Artz said. The TSA reported seeing double-digit increases in traffic through security checkpoints in the first couple weeks of December.

Artz said he expects the airport’s total number of passenger boardings for the fiscal year ending June 30, to hit 2.4 million to 2.5 million.

That would continue the airport’s strong gains in serving local travel needs – people traveling to and from Memphis – coming out of the Delta de-hubbing.

pmanni1

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:34 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
CX773W wrote:

There's a PDEW of over 100 to BOS from MEM, I bet 3/4s of that is business related.

AA has been flying mainline equipment to DCA, sometimes two out of the 3 daily flights, there's the PHL and LGA flights as well. WN has added ATL and Increased BWI, someone is seeing increased business to the Northeast. If B6 is going TATL, they may also want some of the 100s of Thousands that visit Memphis from the UK yearly.

New year, another top 10 place to visit list

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... -list.html

Is a PDEW of 100 enough for a new airline to add a flight(s) to Boston? That 100 is already being split between connections on DL,UA,AA & WN.

jplatts

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:06 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Is a PDEW of 100 enough for a new airline to add a flight(s) to Boston? That 100 is already being split between connections on DL,UA,AA & WN.

DL can likely make MEM-BOS nonstop service work with a PDEW of 100 due to (a) connections onto transatlantic flights, (b) MEM-BOS being within the range of regional jets, (c) DL already operating regional jets on some nonstop routes longer than MEM-BOS (including MCI-BOS), (d) MEM being a former hub for NW and DL, and (e) DL having a FF base in both the MEM and BOS markets to support the return of MEM-BOS nonstop service.

DL also operates a few nonstop routes out of BOS that do not currently have nonstop competition such as BOS-CVG, BOS-IND, and BOS-ORF. DL will also no longer have any nonstop competition on BOS-MCI nonstop service with WN discontinuing MCI-BOS nonstop service today.

I agree that DL re-adding MEM-BOS nonstop service is a possibility with DL being able to operate regional jets on the MEM-BOS route and with DL being able to connect passengers onto transatlantic flights at BOS.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:18 pm

AC sends a damn CRJ 200 on MEM/YYZ, yesterday they switch to a 76 seater during the summer but....

If MEM has been supporting AC for over two years now, sometimes seeing two 50 seaters a day, I think BOS on a 76 seater is doable. AC has been serving r Canadian and UK tourist connecting via YYZ.

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:25 pm

jplatts wrote:
I agree that DL re-adding MEM-BOS nonstop service is a possibility with DL being able to operate regional jets on the MEM-BOS route and with DL being able to connect passengers onto transatlantic flights at BOS.

If DL wanted to connect MEM TATL traffic at a place other than ATL it would have MEM-JFK -- and it does not. What TATL destinations does DL have from BOS and not JFK?

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

If DL wanted to connect MEM TATL traffic at a place other than ATL it would have MEM-JFK -- and it does not. What TATL destinations does DL have from BOS and not JFK?

Why does AA fly DCA at 3x daily in addition to LGA and PHL? Sure seems like are tired of being shuffled via ATL, as it is less direct routing.

Seems DL is seeing it's market share slowly eroding, hence the SLC flight to better connect the PacNW(nike). Google is opening it's first US operations center in a MS suburb of MEM. We'll see how that effects a Bay area direct in a a year or two. If AA is growing at DL expense, it may need to counter with a direct to answer AA's somewhat explosion in Memphis.I sure know prices are falling especially if you are booking farther out.

Some Bay Area and Pac NW companys' recent dealings in Memphis

Amazon's big moves in additions to the couple already here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... ility.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... ds-of.html

Google:
https://www-bizjournals-com.cdn.ampproj ... -will.html

jplatts

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:17 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

DL will be starting seasonal nonstop service to MAN from BOS on May 21st, and BOS is the only airport that DL will be serving nonstop from MAN. However, DL's codeshare partner VS already serves MAN nonstop from DL's ATL and JFK hubs.

While DL dropped MEM-JFK nonstop service 7 years ago, I agree that DL re-adding MEM-JFK nonstop service is a possibility with DL already serving JFK nonstop from some other Southern destinations within the LGA perimeter.

jplatts

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:30 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Why does AA fly DCA at 3x daily in addition to LGA and PHL? Sure seems like are tired of being shuffled via ATL, as it is less direct routing.

Seems DL is seeing it's market share slowly eroding, hence the SLC flight to better connect the PacNW(nike). Google is opening it's first US operations center in a MS suburb of MEM. We'll see how that effects a Bay area direct in a a year or two. If AA is growing at DL expense, it may need to counter with a direct to answer AA's somewhat explosion in Memphis.I sure know prices are falling especially if you are booking farther out.

In addition to AA expanding at MEM, WN had also added MEM-DEN nonstop service back in 2018 and added MEM-DAL nonstop service almost 5 years ago. WN being able to connect passengers to points further west from MEM through DEN and DAL has also eroded DL's market share in the MEM market.

DL also lost market share in the MEM market by dropping nonstop service out of MEM to its BOS, CVG, JFK, RDU, and SEA hubs/focus cities. However, DL still offers 1-stop connecting service to BOS, JFK, and RDU from MEM through its ATL and DTW hubs (and to BOS through its LGA hub in addition to ATL and DTW). DL will also offer easier access to SEA from SLC with the return of MEM-SLC nonstop service.

ThaneC

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:42 am

These major US airports lack scheduled nonstop passenger flights from MEM:

BOS, RDU, SEA, SAN, SFO, SJC, PDX, SEA, BNA, SDF, IND, MKE, MCI, STL, JAX, JFK, IAD, MSY, PIT, SAT, CVG, CMH, CLE.

malev2012

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:11 am

ThaneC wrote:

BOS, RDU, SEA, SAN, SFO, SJC, PDX, SEA, BNA, SDF, IND, MKE, MCI, STL, JAX, JFK, IAD, MSY, PIT, SAT, CVG, CMH, CLE.

Any reason you listed SEA twice?

I think with UA increasing IAD it's a matter of time until Dulles is added if F9 doesn't get there fast.

indcd

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:36 am

malev2012 wrote:
ThaneC wrote:

Any reason you listed SEA twice?

I think with UA increasing IAD it's a matter of time until Dulles is added if F9 doesn't get there fast.

I’m curious how F9’s prior IAD-MEM load factors were. We flew it a few times and it was always slammed. F9 is not my fav airline by far, but it’s nice to have as an option.
Regardless, I’m really hopeful we can get some direct IAD-MEM flight. Right now we resort to driving to BWI - although you can’t beat the fares on WN.

airguardtn

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Is Memphis the largest city east of the Mississippi that does not have direct service to IAD? Or maybe even the largest in the country that does not?

Favre4

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:28 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

Cheaper rent is the likely reason.

ThaneC

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:41 pm

There still seems to be some hostility toward Delta among Memphis travelers over the de-hubing at MEM. Regardless, DL must still have a decent number of frequent flyers in the area. If any airline can really help improve air service at MEM it has got to be Delta.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:50 pm

Favre4 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Cheaper rent is the likely reason.

Since they completely demolished 2/3rds of B, l looked to see if, in fact, they were going to have a new location for the Delta Club and I can not find anything one way or the other on it. It would kinda make sense to relocate close to their gates. The old location was a centralized location during the hub days. It is still right there at TSA but even with the moving walkways about as far as it can be from Delta's gates with the new layout.

What the redo will do is centralize everything. Before this, all the airlines were so spread out it did seem like a ghost town but with all the gates being used on B , it will be a hopping place during certain times like the morning. It will help with additional concessions. Maybe we see a return of a local Memphis BBQ joint and hopefully a tap room featuring some of the areas best beer like Tiny Bomb from Wiseacre.

TheZ

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 pm

https://dailymemphian.com/section/busin ... pansion-at

UPS expansion appears to be going forward. Ship ALL the packages
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

WaywardMemphian

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:59 am

TheZ wrote:
https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/9893/ups-pulls-permit-for-22-million-expansion-at

3 years ago Amazon's local presence was nearly nil. Now, they are all over the place.and with the massive facility in North Memphis underway right next to the massive Nike facility, I wonder how much Amazon Air will increase use of MEM.

ThaneC

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:56 am

Memphis is well-known for its massive warehouse facilities.

TheZ

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:31 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
TheZ wrote:
https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/9893/ups-pulls-permit-for-22-million-expansion-at

3 years ago Amazon's local presence was nearly nil. Now, they are all over the place.and with the massive facility in North Memphis underway right next to the massive Nike facility, I wonder how much Amazon Air will increase use of MEM.

That's a good question. It's my opinion that Amazon won't stop until somebody at the DOJ makes them, trying to compete directly with FedEx at their own hub would be bold but they do pull stuff like this in other areas. I do wonder what their long-term plans are for Amazon Prime Air are. Maybe they'd even consider purchasing FedEx Express, I won't put anything past them.

TheZ

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:50 pm

Getting back to Memphis-related topics, the airport just posted this super cool video from 1979 when Concorde visited MEM, neat footage!

https://memphislibrary.contentdm.oclc.o ... 5/id/1031/

atcsundevil

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Just a reminder, this thread is about Memphis aviation. Other discussion belongs in more appropriate threads, so please stay on topic.

✈️ atcsundevil

ThaneC

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm

“Is Amazon Killing FedEx?” Many analysts have been discussing this possible scenario.
If it happens, it could have an tremendous impact on Memphis aviation.

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/01 ... very-fedex

TheZ

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:00 pm

ThaneC wrote:
“Is Amazon Killing FedEx?” Many analysts have been discussing this possible scenario.

Classic monopoly behavior.

membase

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:10 am

[*]
TheZ wrote:
Getting back to Memphis-related topics, the airport just posted this super cool video from 1979 when Concorde visited MEM, neat footage!

Awesome video! I was a kid then and recall Concorde visiting MEM although I didn’t get to see it.

At 1:28 and again at 1:40, I was surprised to see what appears to be a TWA 707 in the background at the south end of the C Concourse or maybe the SE leg of B. In my visits to MEM in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s I don't remember ever seeing a TWA aircraft, gate or ticket counter. Perhaps it was at MEM as a charter flight.

membase

Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 am

ThaneC wrote:

I wouldn’t worry too much (or get too excited if you are cheering for the demise of FedEx and/or Memphis). Just remember that (1) Amazon is not going to take over all global e-commerce, (2) other players in e-commerce will need a shipper and they sure aren’t going to use Amazon, and (3) FedEx Express - the airline - primarily serves not retail but the high-priority, high-value shipping market which this writer completely ignores. And what about FedEx’s massive international operations?

Think of the size of the operation FedEx has at MEM, the nearly 300 flights a day and the massive volume of freight going through there. Even if FedEx were bought out or otherwise disrupted out of business any time in the near future, all that freight (most of which is not retail e-commerce) won’t just stop getting shipped, and no other existing or emerging air hub in the country could absorb that kind volume. MEM would not disappear as a major air cargo hub.

tnair1974

Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 am

membase wrote:
[*]
TheZ wrote:

Awesome video! I was a kid then and recall Concorde visiting MEM although I didn’t get to see it.

At 1:28 and again at 1:40, I was surprised to see what appears to be a TWA 707 in the background at the south end of the C Concourse or maybe the SE leg of B. In my visits to MEM in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s I don't remember ever seeing a TWA aircraft, gate or ticket counter. Perhaps it was at MEM as a charter flight.

I can't answer when/if TWA served MEM before the 1980s. OAGs from 1979 don't show TWA at MEM so that TW 707 is an interesting question mark. Besides a charter, could also be a diversion. True, flights tend to prefer to divert to a station that already serves their airline unless it's more urgent like a medical emergency.

I do remember seeing a few TW 727-100s and DC-9-10s (maybe one a D93) at MEM during the late 1980s; looks like a mix of TWA and TWExpress to STL during this time. While active TW 721s did serve MEM, a few old TW 721s were also parted out at MEM during the late 1980s.

However, here's 1973 footage (Super 8 movie camera?) from inside an TW L-1011 in route SFO-MEM! I don't know if this was a scheduled flight or a charter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssRS4uNwwe8
A lot of fascinating footage at SFO such as the Western DC-10, several Pan Am and TW 747s, TW 707 or CV-880, Air West or Hughes Air West D93 (yellow plane, or "top banana") and so on. At MEM during the landing roll, the new terminal is seen just before it opened.

TheZ

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:21 am

tnair1974 wrote:
membase wrote:
[*]
TheZ wrote:

I can't answer when/if TWA served MEM before the 1980s. OAGs from 1979 don't show TWA at MEM so that TW 707 is an interesting question mark. Besides a charter, could also be a diversion. True, flights tend to prefer to divert to a station that already serves their airline unless it's more urgent like a medical emergency.

I do remember seeing a few TW 727-100s and DC-9-10s (maybe one a D93) at MEM during the late 1980s; looks like a mix of TWA and TWExpress to STL during this time. While active TW 721s did serve MEM, a few old TW 721s were also parted out at MEM during the late 1980s.

However, here's 1973 footage (Super 8 movie camera?) from inside an TW L-1011 in route SFO-MEM! I don't know if this was a scheduled flight or a charter.
A lot of fascinating footage at SFO such as the Western DC-10, several Pan Am and TW 747s, TW 707 or CV-880, Air West or Hughes Air West D93 (yellow plane, or "top banana") and so on. At MEM during the landing roll, the new terminal is seen just before it opened.

Great find, thanks for sharing. I love vintage footage like that. The L1011 has such a nice wing!

tnair1974

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:50 am

TheZ wrote:
tnair1974 wrote:
membase wrote:
[*]

Great find, thanks for sharing. I love vintage footage like that. The L1011 has such a nice wing!

I also loved hearing the heavenly sound of the RR engines winding up at the start of takeoff! :cloudnine:

I happened across info that DL brought L-1011s into MEM. It may have been 1979, but too tired to check back this late to confirm the year or where the DL TriStars went from MEM but ATL would be a good first guess!

I do need to correct my own post. It's actually the concourse (Concourse C??, someone with more knowledge please confirm/correct) that was about to open, not the terminal itself. The terminal and the original concourse opened in 1963.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:58 pm

Thanks for sharing that video! My, the Concorde was a smoky thing wasn't it?
That TWA 707 is interesting. I'm almost certain TWA did not serve MEM is any capacity in 1979. It might have been a press charter or something. TWA started up service to their STL hub sometime in the mid-80's. I think the largest aircraft used on the route was a 727-100. The route was flown by a prop plane for years in the '90's.
DL did serve the MEM-ATL route with at least a once daily L1011 for a while in the late 1970's. That route was a mix of 727-200, DC-9, L1011, and the occasional DC-8. In the mid 1980's as the 757's came into the fleet, I think the L1011 was taken off the MEM route and replaced by 757 flying. At the time, Delta occupied most of the gates in the present Terminal A.

chrisinbrasil

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm

I remember, as a kid, flying to Florida. I rode the L-1011 to Atlanta. Concourse A was Delta and pretty busy back in the 70s and 80s. If I remember correctly, when Republic ramped up, Delta cut flights. I also remember the random red-eye flights coming in from Atlanta.
Southern, Eastern, Delta, Northwest, United, American, Varig, Vasp, TransBrasil, Tam, Gol, British, Lufthansa, KLM, Aero, Brussels, Air Canada

TheZ

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 am

This may or may not be a relevant question for this thread, but what are the best spotting locations people have found for MEM? Next time I'm in town I would love to try and get a shot of some of the FedEx ramp, you don't see too many pictures of it (maybe by design). Maybe some approaches too... North end of the runways I'd think would be tough due to 240 but the south end maybe?

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm

Allegiant adds new seasonal routes to/from CVG/PIT/PBI and the most odd ball thing I think I've ever seen, DSM.

Considering that Allegaint started BOS this time around, DSM over BOS is wacky at best. OAK and it's once weekly did not come back.

I still say MEM/TYS on Thur/Sun would be a slam dunk.

bnabnabna

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:04 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Allegiant adds new seasonal routes to/from CVG/PIT/PBI and the most odd ball thing I think I've ever seen, DSM.

Considering that Allegaint started BOS this time around, DSM over BOS is wacky at best. OAK and it's once weekly did not come back.

DSM may be for MEM bound tourists, since Allegiant likes to connect northern/cold weather cities with southern tourist destinations. They seemed to have success with BNA-CID, so maybe MEM-DSM will work.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:23 pm

bnabnabna wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

DSM may be for MEM bound tourists, since Allegiant likes to connect northern/cold weather cities with southern tourist destinations. They seemed to have success with BNA-CID, so maybe MEM-DSM will work.

Memphis has made many travel lists as a place to visit in recent years and I can see it especially with the booming River Cruising industry and Memphis being a major start/stop point.

If they show any success on DSM, CVG, PIT, it opens the door to places like Omaha, Kansas City, Indy but they would need to open a base here.

My biggest knock on these is that one of the biggest events is Memphis in May and the Music Fest portion is always the first weekend, these all miss that and the BBQ cook off. They should also consider adding MSY add it would compliment that and the Jazz and Heritage kinda overlap a bit and it could entice those spending three days in Memphis to add on a few more in New Orleans, it would bridge the gap, so to say.

I think they should connect MEM and places like XNA to more western destinations like BZN

If these type of routes show any success it might behoove WN to add STL, as that would be the most logical connecting point for the midwestern places like DSM, OMA, CVG, MCI, ect, ect, ect.

TheZ

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 pm

Exciting news for Memphis to gain these additional nonstop flights, hopefully they do well.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:13 pm

TheZ wrote:
Exciting news for Memphis to gain these additional nonstop flights, hopefully they do well.

These will not capture the biz market but now that Allegiant is seeing places outside of beach and sand as destinations, and places as two way traffic with leasure on both ends, it opens up a world of possibilities. Take Cleveland, a Thursday/Sunday opens you fun weekend getaway opportunities for family's, I can take my family to Cleveland, see the Rock Hall of Fame, or Football Hall of Fame and a day or two at Cedar Park riding massive coasters.

The other way around is let's go to Memphis, Thurs to Sun hang out on Beale, Eat some BBQ, hit up the Zoo, drive over and see Johnny Cash's childhood home or Graceland fly to New Orleans on Allegiant and repeat for a few days, and back home on Allegiant.

They could really turn themselves into the Ryanair/Easyjet of America even more so than Frontier and Spirit.

ThaneC

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 pm

The additional services announced by Allegiant all over their network are bizarre at best. Many routes will be very short lived.
Once again Memphis business travelers are not helped by the irregular schedules. The following major US airports continue to lack scheduled nonstop passenger flights from MEM:
BOS, RDU, SEA, SAN, SFO, SJC, PDX, BNA, SDF, IND, MKE, MCI, STL, JAX, JFK, IAD, MSY, SAT, CMH, CLE.

WaywardMemphian

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:32 pm

ThaneC wrote:
The additional services announced by Allegiant all over their network are bizarre at best. Many routes will be very short lived.
Once again Memphis business travelers are not helped by the irregular schedules. The following major US airports continue to lack scheduled nonstop passenger flights from MEM:
BOS, RDU, SEA, SAN, SFO, SJC, PDX, BNA, SDF, IND, MKE, MCI, STL, JAX, JFK, IAD, MSY, SAT, CMH, CLE.

XNA/BNA is bizarre but it is back for a second summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos