Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BNAMealer

Re: Memphis Aviation - 2020

Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:31 am

TheZ wrote:
The airport authority released the new strategic overview today. It's got some interesting information some of the anticipated future developments. Worth a read if you're interested: https://www.flymemphis.com/Areas/Admin/ ... 135233.pdf

Interesting.

My revised suggestion would be to focus on modernizing the terminal and raze A & C completely to eliminate any costs with keeping them around. B, when fully modernized, should be sufficient to for MEM up to 15 million pax. By the time MEM hits that, they’ll need to consider more modern concourses.

Consolidate the security checkpoints into one as well.

As far as new air service, I have to think with NK moving it’s operations center into the Nashville area, that bodes well for MEM and maybe even TYS getting NK. With a potential battle looming between WN and NK in BNA, I think G4 should turn their attention to MEM and open a base.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:18 am

It will be a long time before Memphis hits 15million passengers getting half way there would be a great. They put millions into A, getting it ready for Delta to share with Southwest. Mothball that one and raze C.

They want toil replace the 3 level garage. I would like to see an on site hotel enter into the mix with to sit on top of a new structure or connected to the revamped terminal on C's footprint with it own parking underneath. It could be retro like and compliment the original terminal. I do hope those plans include keeping the original facade on the outside.

membase

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:54 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
My revised suggestion would be to focus on modernizing the terminal and raze A & C completely to eliminate any costs with keeping them around.

Some of Concourse A will continue to get use as ground boarding area for Southern Airways Express and any other part 135 operators. In the last master plan, there was an option to convert C into the international arrivals facility so that it would be adjacent to landside facilities. While MEM has scant international service now besides AC, I wouldn’t be surprised if that idea doesn’t show up again n the new master plan in conjunction with the eventual modernization of the remainder of B.

BNAMealer

Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm

membase wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
My revised suggestion would be to focus on modernizing the terminal and raze A & C completely to eliminate any costs with keeping them around.

Some of Concourse A will continue to get use as ground boarding area for Southern Airways Express and any other part 135 operators. In the last master plan, there was an option to convert C into the international arrivals facility so that it would be adjacent to landside facilities. While MEM has scant international service now besides AC, I wouldn’t be surprised if that idea doesn’t show up again n the new master plan in conjunction with the eventual modernization of the remainder of B.

I agree that is a good place, but it is going to be a while before MEM sees consistent international traffic that requires customs, so I wouldn't worry about a new FIS facility yet. The current facility, while not at all ideal, its sufficient for current levels until MEM sees more regularly scheduled international service that requires FIS facilities. When it does come time though, C will have to be rebuilt to handle widebody, so might as well tear it down in the interim and use the space for RON.

The focus should be modernizing the terminal and the remainder of B for the current period.

membase

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:41 pm

The problem is that when they modernize the remaining leg of B, they will have to shut down the existing FIS facility and open another one. Will be interesting to see whether they plan an interim customs facility or a longer-term solution.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Interesting little article/slideshow from the MBJ on the largest markets without a direct from MEM. A couple were a bit surprising and it doesn't take service like Allegiant into account. Shows there's a largest diaspora of Jamaicans than I thought but if you have been in many nursing home/rehab facilities in the area you would understand it. I would like to see a full list of the top 100 regardless of service.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... s_headline

There's the obvious holes like BOS and one of the Bay area airport to serve the SFO/OAK/SJC markets

When I put on my fantasy routing planning hat in a mythical world where oil is 25 bucks a barrel and there are plenty of pilots and working for a start up like Breeze, I see lots of ways to serve those routes listed with a nonstop and one stop/ no plane change directs like MEM-CLE-BDL-RDU-MEM on those E195s and JAX-MEM SEA/PDX on an A220. Anyway, it gives insight on what Neeleman may be seeing and I know he doesn't want connections but well thought out planning for milk run routes between unserved city pairs with some obvious business traffic and no existing service and eliminating connecting could grow these markets into just directs or a mix of both, directs on Sun/Mon/Thu/Fri and milk runs on Tue/Wed/Sat

Anyhoo, just passing the time

TheZ

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:12 pm

A Sunwing 737 heading to Calgary from Cancun made an emergency landing in Memphis last night. Sounds like the airport staff did a great job keeping the passengers comfortable while they waited for a replacement aircraft.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/cancun-fligh ... -1.4827799
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

Airventure737

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:14 pm

A Sunwing flight diverted to MEM from Cancun last night due to a vape device going off in the cabin. Passengers were held in the B concourse international gate areas while the replacement flight was readied.

Bluegrass60

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:30 pm

UPS to spend $216M on expansion at Memphis airport

https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/UP ... Ex/572926/

WaywardMemphian

Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:37 pm

MEM has sent out the call for art in the new B concourse

BOSMEMFlyer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm over the moon! BOS-MEM is back on DL!

https://www.flymemphis.com/NewsDetails?newsid=5318

TYSflyer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:24 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:

Very happy for MEM. Many had questioned why this had not been relaunched given Delta’s growth at BOS. MEM definitely getting some love from DL with the recent announcement of SLC and now BOS.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:

Must have finally got out that someone else was going to pick it up, AA perhaps.

TheZ

Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:54 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:

Fantastic news!

DakotaFlyer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:05 pm

Seems DL is trying to become the "legacy" airline of choice for the mid-south region. Sort of like how DL operates in the upper midwest.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:57 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Seems DL is trying to become the "legacy" airline of choice for the mid-south region. Sort of like how DL operates in the upper midwest.

Considering the gains AA had made in MEM as it evolved in to an O&D airport, It is more like Delta decided to stop neglecting a once loyal station that was warming up to others after getting pissed on.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Alaska start a Bay Area nonstop and a SEA nonstop on behalf of AA as this little AA/DL war rages on.

TheZ

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:04 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:

Considering the gains AA had made in MEM as it evolved in to an O&D airport, It is more like Delta decided to stop neglecting a once loyal station that was warming up to others after getting pissed on.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Alaska start a Bay Area nonstop and a SEA nonstop on behalf of AA as this little AA/DL war rages on.

AA's increased ties to AS and the fight over SEA with DL may well prove beneficial for MEM, we shall see! I sure miss being able to fly from SEA to MEM nonstop.

BOSMEMFlyer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 pm

Yeah, I feel like SEA and SFO are now the low-hanging fruit. Indigo Ag most likely pushed Boston to the front of the line.

BOSMEMFlyer

Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Also, what do mornings look like in MEM on DL now? I think Wayward posted an article a while back saying the MSCAA already acknowledged it's going to be tight post-renovation to B

SELMER40

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Delta has 6 jetways in A now and will have 6 jetways in the new B. There are 8 RONs now. SLC and BOS will add 2 more RONs
Teaching this old dog a new trick

membase

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:28 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
Also, what do mornings look like in MEM on DL now? I think Wayward posted an article a while back saying the MSCAA already acknowledged it's going to be tight post-renovation to B

I count 21 RONs on the schedule tonight (7 AA, 7 DL, 4 UA, 3 WN) but this will go up as we get into travel season. The modernized Concourse B is supposed to have 23 gates and I know they routinely exceeded that for much of 2019. I counted 24 RONs most nights starting in the summer and going right through to Christmas/New Years. If that is the baseline schedule this year and you add those 2 DL flights (which are both overnights), they will be parking several aircraft out on the ramp.

TTailedTiger

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:03 pm

What is going on with United at MEM? They had been running some mainline on IAH, DEN, EWR. But now it is all rj-45 except for a couple of E175 to DEN. It's completely unacceptable to run 50 seat jets in a market where every other airline serving that city runs mainline equipment.

WaywardMemphian

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:31 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
What is going on with United at MEM? They had been running some mainline on IAH, DEN, EWR. But now it is all rj-45 except for a couple of E175 to DEN. It's completely unacceptable to run 50 seat jets in a market where every other airline serving that city runs mainline equipment.

Losing market share with uncompetitive pricing from my booking searches. They were running the CRJ-550 to ORD which isn't a bad ride.

It's wonder what competition does. I'm seeing plenty of fares on MEM/BOS with on Delta even being as low as $160 R/T nonstop come October.

Moosefire

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:22 am

Does anyone know what the story is with the two 763s in Eastern colors parked at Signature? Initially it was easy to say they where operating a charter but considering they haven’t moved in over six weeks I figure its a different story.
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

TheZ

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:01 am

For anyone who lives close enough to the airport to look, there's a Volga-Dnepr Il-76 on its way from Shanghai by way of Anchorage, no doubt transporting important medical supplies. Would this be the first visit of the 76 to MEM? Somehow I imagine one would have come through there at some point.

TheZ

Thu May 28, 2020 9:30 pm

For whatever it's worth in these strange times, WN announced new service to PHX today starting in December. Great addition should it come to pass, who can say what things will look like by then.

OccupiedLav

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:10 am

Why is it that this thread barely gets any action while the Nashville thread is almost always trending? I don't get it. We need to step it up guys.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:13 am

OccupiedLav wrote:
Why is it that this thread barely gets any action while the Nashville thread is almost always trending? I don't get it. We need to step it up guys.

Outside of the Covid frieght boom and the Southwest add of Phx, not much is happening.

I will say there's some good photos of the new B concourse on their Facebook page.

SELMER40

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:26 am

The Delta August schedule to ATL has 7 A320, to DTW 2 CR9, to MSP 1 CR9 and to SLC 1 E75. That is 73.8% of the pre COVID seats to ATL.

jplatts

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:32 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
Yeah, I feel like SEA and SFO are now the low-hanging fruit. Indigo Ag most likely pushed Boston to the front of the line.

WaywardMemphian wrote:

UA is more likely to add SFO-MEM nonstop service than AS is with (a) SFO being a major hub for UA, (b) connections available onto UA/CA/AI/NZ/NH/OZ/BR flights to Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and Tahiti at SFO, (c) UA having a FF base and corporate contracts in the San Francisco Bay Area, and (d) AS not having nonstop service out of SFO to markets that aren't served nonstop from SFO on UA.

DAL, PAE, and JFK are also the only destinations that have nonstop service out of SFO on AS but not on UA, but UA already has nonstop service out of SFO to DFW, SEA, and EWR in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Seattle, and NYC markets.

Poorpilot

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:34 pm

I wonder if DL will still offer the MEM-BOS flight it had announced a few months ago?

OccupiedLav

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Outside of the Covid frieght boom and the Southwest add of Phx, not much is happening.

I will say there's some good photos of the new B concourse on their Facebook page.

I'll have to check those out. I flew in a few weeks ago and the main arm from security was taking shape nicely.

I understand not much is going on at MEM, but there can't be that much going on at BNA that it's one of the most talked about airports on this site. BNA is a pretty boring airport for anyone outside of Nashville (same with MEM).

tnair1974

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:35 pm

OccupiedLav wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

I'll have to check those out. I flew in a few weeks ago and the main arm from security was taking shape nicely.

I understand not much is going on at MEM, but there can't be that much going on at BNA that it's one of the most talked about airports on this site. BNA is a pretty boring airport for anyone outside of Nashville (same with MEM).

There are airport threads for the likes of LAX and ATL that one might think would be a lot busier, but aren't.

The BNA thread had a couple of key people that post all the time. This seems the be a big factor. They obviously have a desire to be active on the thread. IIRC, one works for a major airline but apparently otherwise has time to post. I've seen on other threads retired people from aviation that post a lot even if they may be grandparents.

Personally, I have read Airliners threads for over a decade. However, work (not aviation related) and parenthood only leave so much extra time. After my teenager went off to college last fall, I finally found extra time to start posting for the first time.

BowlingShoeDC9

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:32 pm

TheZ wrote:
Looks like Terminal B renovations are continuing to make good progress. Some nice photos posted to the MEM facebook account this morning. https://www.facebook.com/flymemphis/pos ... 8775769311

Are they not rebuilding the rotunda area? I’ve read a lot comments on the shortsightedness of not doing the other 1/3rd of B, but I feel like not redoing the rotunda in particular is worse. I’m not sure there’s any way to rebuild that area in the future without blocking off the newly completed DL/UA/AC/Allegiant gates. Unless the airport plans on moving them back to A or C, it seems that part of the building is there to stay. Hopefully they are at least redoing the interior.

ThaneC

Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:09 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
OccupiedLav wrote:

Correct. Apart from FedEx there is very little traffic at MEM these days. Even before the pandemic MEM saw only 80 total passenger flights per day and that number has been drastically cut. Unsure if the Delta flight to Boston will happen. Like many airports MEM is a ghost town.

TheZ

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:08 pm

I will be flying through there next month, it will be really interesting to see how much B has progressed since last time. As far as I know it's still on track for 2021.

TheZ

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:11 pm

OccupiedLav wrote:

BNA fanboys mostly. And as much as a certain frequent "contributor" to Memphis threads who loves to diss the city and its prospects would disagree, it's not a competition between the two.

chrisinbrasil

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm flying in to Memphis from Ottawa in two weeks. I was hoping for the Toronto-Memphis flight but that's been shelved long ago. Instead, going YOW-YYZ-DTW-MEM. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing progress on B.
Southern, Eastern, Delta, Northwest, United, American, Varig, Vasp, TransBrasil, Tam, Gol, British, Lufthansa, KLM, Aero, Brussels, Air Canada

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:36 pm

I was in MEM 2 weeks ago. The Terminal B re-do is coming along nicely, the glass walls were completely up on the first section, and in process on the far out gates. Gave me a good idea of what the final product will look like.
For anyone flying in or out of MEM this month, you might want to note that the only businesses open were the CNBC store down by the Allegiant gates in C, and the Interstate BBQ next door. I didn't walk over to A, but there's probably only one place open over there. I'd suggest bringing your own snacks for the plane and buying a drink at the CNBC store. It's pretty much a ghost town. I'm guessing only about 25 departures a day.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:00 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I was in MEM 2 weeks ago. The Terminal B re-do is coming along nicely, the glass walls were completely up on the first section, and in process on the far out gates. Gave me a good idea of what the final product will look like.
For anyone flying in or out of MEM this month, you might want to note that the only businesses open were the CNBC store down by the Allegiant gates in C, and the Interstate BBQ next door. I didn't walk over to A, but there's probably only one place open over there. I'd suggest bringing your own snacks for the plane and buying a drink at the CNBC store. It's pretty much a ghost town. I'm guessing only about 25 departures a day.

Yesterday from the MEM website:

LATEST

Passenger traffic, air service reflect slow but steady increases at MEM
Tuesday, June 30, 2020
Passenger traffic, air service reflect slow but steady increases at MEM
MEMPHIS, TENN. (June 30, 2020) – In response to growing passenger demand, airlines at Memphis International Airport are beginning to resume flights that were suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On Monday, June 29, the Transportation Security Administration screened more than 2880 passengers and employees, the most since March 16.

Monday’s numbers reflect the slow, steady growth that MEM has experienced since April, when the pandemic had its greatest impact. In response to increased demand, airlines are resuming previously suspended routes and frequencies, with a notable increase in July and August. Total available airline seats in July will increase to 122,836 from 81,571 in June.

Following is a current summary of destinations for each of MEM’s major airlines:

Allegiant: Austin, Destin, Ft. Lauderdale, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orlando-Sanford, Phoenix-Mesa, Punta Gorda, and St. Pete-Clearwater.

American Airlines: Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Philadelphia (resumes 7/7), and Washington, DC.

Delta Air Lines: Atlanta, Detroit (resumes 7/8), Minneapolis (resumes 8/1), Salt Lake City (launches 8/1)

Frontier: Denver, Orlando

Southwest Airlines: Atlanta, Baltimore (resumes 8/11), Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston (resumes 8/11), Orlando, Phoenix (launches 12/17), and Tampa (resumes 10/11)

United: Denver (resumes 7/7), Chicago (resumes 7/6), Houston
While the current trends are positive, passenger traffic remains down significantly, with the most recent checkpoint numbers reflecting a 73% decrease compared to the same time last year, and the national average reflecting a 78% decrease. As a result, many airport businesses remain temporarily closed or have reduced hours.

“It’s very encouraging to see passenger numbers and air service rebound at MEM and elsewhere in the U.S.” said Pace Cooper, Chairman of the Memphis-Shelby County Airport Authority Board of Commissioners. “In addition, MEM and its partners are adapting to the new reality by implementing safety measures to the combat the spread of COVID-19.”

Current retail and restaurant operations at MEM (opening times listed below – closing times vary, based on passenger traffic and departing flight times):

Ticketing:

River City News and Gifts (opens at 7 am)
A/B Connector, near the security checkpoint:

Urban Market (opens at 5 am) River City News and Gifts (Opens at 430 am)
A Concourse:

Lenny’s Subs (opens at 5 am, Mon-Sun) River City News and Gifts (opens at 6 am)
C Concourse:

Neely’s Interstate BBQ (opens at 9 am) CNBC Store (opens at 5 am)
Other:

Delta SkyClub: temporarily closed TSA Precheck Application Center: open (http://www.tsa.gov/precheck) Global Entry Application Center: reopens 7/6 (more info: http://www.bit.ly/2AaHu4e)
Operational Updates/COVID-19 Measures

Masks are now required in public buildings per the City of Memphis Face Covering Ordinance 5751. Most airlines are requiring masks/facial coverings for all boarding passengers. Complimentary masks are available at the ticketing counters, and additional masks are available for sale at retail shops.

Ridesharing companies Uber and Lyft now require both drivers and passengers to wear face masks during trips.

Floor markings are in place which illustrate the recommended 6' distancing between passengers.

Businesses and airlines have installed Plexiglass at counters as an extra measure of protection.

Check with your airline before traveling. Each airline has its own policies related to COVID-19.

MEM and its partners continue to maintain enhanced cleaning and sanitation of high contact areas, including the gate areas and the security checkpoint. Sanitizer dispensers can be found throughout both the A and C concourses.

TheZ

Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 pm

Today Southwest announced they're moving up the start of PHX nonstop service to July 26th, only 10 days from now. Interesting choice to move it up so far, but I hope it's successful, or as successful as things can be these days.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:53 am

Time to try things out

They should have added LAS

Jshank83

Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:53 am

TheZ wrote:
Today Southwest announced they're moving up the start of PHX nonstop service to July 26th, only 10 days from now. Interesting choice to move it up so far, but I hope it's successful, or as successful as things can be these days.

Looks like it is only for 2 weeks though, like some other routes WN added. They could extend it out more but for now it only added til August 10.

TheZ

Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 pm

Heard rumblings the MSP flight is being cancelled (at least temporarily) after Labor Day. Not surprising considering the current travel conditions but would be a shame. Trying to book through Delta after 9/6 routes you through ATL, DTW or SLC.

On a related note, I'm wondering just how bad this will all get in the Fall. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

BowlingShoeDC9

Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:05 pm

TheZ wrote:
Heard rumblings the MSP flight is being cancelled (at least temporarily) after Labor Day. Not surprising considering the current travel conditions but would be a shame. Trying to book through Delta after 9/6 routes you through ATL, DTW or SLC.

On a related note, I'm wondering just how bad this will all get in the Fall. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

At least we got DTW back. That should lessen the sting of not having MSP for most people.

All the numbers I’ve seen shows Memphis fairing a little better than the national average during COVID, so hopefully we won’t get hurt too bad in the long term.

SELMER40

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:11 pm

After making some cuts in the September schedule, Southwest, looking at 15 October schedules, shows all cities all flights operating. (as always schedules can change any week )

pmanni1

Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:02 pm

SELMER40 wrote:
After making some cuts in the September schedule, Southwest, looking at 15 October schedules, shows all cities all flights operating. (as always schedules can change any week )

Airlines are only a month out in scheduling so in Sept they'll start cutting Oct.

SELMER40

Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:53 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
SELMER40 wrote:

Airlines are only a month out in scheduling so in Sept they'll start cutting Oct.

Southwest is somewhat different from other airlines. They will file a long term schedule saying what they want to operate and what they believe, at filing, they can operate. Next week they will file a schedule up to 11 April 2021. We can see then if they make any changes to October. There will be seasonal adjustments within that schedule. And, as always they will react to new events.

SELMER40

Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:39 pm

Southwest has extended their schedule thru 11 April 21. There is no change (yet) to the previous schedule's October flights. I did find the December's single-plane LAS flight changes to connection in January.

BowlingShoeDC9

Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:19 pm

The airport’s twitter account just posted new pictures from inside the renovated B-Terminal. Its looking pretty good so far!

https://twitter.com/flymemphis/status/1 ... 74339?s=21

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos