Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jshank83

Re: Memphis Aviation - 2020

Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:03 pm

Poorpilot wrote:
I wonder if DL will still offer the MEM-BOS flight it had announced a few months ago?

Looks like it starts in January.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... uary-2021/

TheZ

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:35 pm

DL to begin service to IND starting in October:
https://www.flymemphis.com/NewsDetails? ... skeuSirDaA
If you have to say "pun intended," it's not a good enough pun.

WaywardMemphian

Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:05 pm

TheZ wrote:
DL to begin service to IND starting in October:
https://www.flymemphis.com/NewsDetails? ... skeuSirDaA

That is out of the blue.

Wonder if this is to keep someone from starting it, like Breeze, when it starts up.

Favre4

Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:19 am

Breeze is not close to starting up.. Use it while it’s here.

OccupiedLav

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:56 am

Today (September 15) Wheeltug held a demonstration of its electric taxiing system at MEM. If you've never heard of Wheeltug, it involves the installation of electric motors in the nose wheels, allowing the aircraft to taxi without jet thrust and eliminating the need for tugs on pushback. Here is a video of some of the demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35vkIHQGBvs

Wheeltug used an Albastar 738 for the demo. Definitely a rare bird to see at MEM. Saw it when I flew in on Sunday.

WaywardMemphian

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:25 am

I laughed at this article, many Memphians are so over the pandemic and out of @$&% to give.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/busin ... irport-tra

BNAMealer

Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
I laughed at this article, many Memphians are so over the pandemic and out of @$&% to give.

Good for MEM. I’m over it as well. We can’t keep living like this, it’s bad for us.

southwest1675

Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:32 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Good for MEM. I’m over it as well. We can’t keep living like this, it’s bad for us.

I wear a mask if I have to, and wash my hands. Nothing else we can do at this point.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

chrisinbrasil

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:20 am

So did MEM-IND already fail? IND is no longer on the airport's website. Forgive me if this has been discussed, haven't seen anything though.
Southern, Eastern, Delta, Northwest, United, American, Varig, Vasp, TransBrasil, Tam, Gol, British, Lufthansa, KLM, Aero, Brussels, Air Canada

WaywardMemphian

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:22 am

chrisinbrasil wrote:
So did MEM-IND already fail? IND is no longer on the airport's website. Forgive me if this has been discussed, haven't seen anything though.

Yes

TTailedTiger

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:35 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
chrisinbrasil wrote:

Yes

But where are all those FedEx employees a few people here claimed would pack the flight... This route never made any sense. Sounds similar to that lone EWR-South Carolina flight that Continental's CEO got in trouble for.

jreeves96

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:15 am

FedEx has a fleet of corporate aircraft. Anybody needing to travel between hubs I feel would hop on the Challenger for a quick flight. But whatever.

On a side note, been assigned to work FedEx this year at MEM with my airline. Last year I was at SDF. Gonna be real cool to see both super hubs.

Indy

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:10 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
chrisinbrasil wrote:

Yes

Actually no. It didn't fail. It was only set up to be a very short term service. Not sure what the point of it was, but that is what DL did.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

WaywardMemphian

Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:19 pm

Indy wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
chrisinbrasil wrote:

Yes

Actually no. It didn't fail. It was only set up to be a very short term service. Not sure what the point of it was, but that is what DL did.

In an article a few weeks back MEM stated that bookings for it were undererforming in contrast to the success of the Salt Lake flights and stated they were still trying to pitch it to corporate customers. A couple of weeks after that, it got zeroed out in Enrilia's weekly update without any fanfare. I checked the Delta site and it was bookable .

Here is snippet of the article shared by me previously, it was zeroed out not long after this
Delta has upgraded aircraft serving the Salt Lake City nonstop twice since it began, a positive sign for Memphis’ push for stronger nonstop connections to airports in the Western United States.

The flight launched with a 76-seat Embraer, then upgraded to a 132-seat Airbus A319, then a 160-seat Boeing 737-800, Gentry said.

Advance bookings of the Memphis-Indianapolis nonstop have been disappointing so far, but Memphis and Indianapolis airports are preparing to market the flight to logistics providers, such as FedEx, and medical device makers with large footprints in each city.

So it is what it is, it didn't work.

Indy

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:01 pm

It doesn't surprise me that MEM-IND didn't work out. That addition made absolutely no sense. Delta wasn't running that route when the economy was booming and there were still a few connections left in MEM. That was pretty much no chance it was going to work during a pandemic and economic crisis. The MEM-SLC route makes more sense since SLC is a DL hub.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

WaywardMemphian

Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Article on it from yesterday

https://dailymemphian.com/section/busin ... dianapolis

Some other stuff beside the Indy news:

The number of peak day flights at Memphis International Airport ticked up to 57 in October from 44 in September, through a combination of restored destinations, such as Delta to Los Angeles International, and increased frequencies.

The airport’s passenger boardings also continued to trend higher than the national average.

Boardings were down 54.5% in October compared to a year earlier, but the airport’s passenger activity outstripped the national average by about 10%-12%, chief financial officer Forrest Artz said.

Meanwhile, surging cargo activity at FedEx is picking up much of the slack created by the drop in passenger flights since March.

Cargo volume, more than 99% of it attributable to FedEx, was up 8.9% in October from a year earlier, while cargo volume since July 1 is up 12.1%.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos