Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NeBaNi
Topic Author

LAX Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:49 pm

Thought it might be a good idea to start the LAX Aviation Thread for the second year in the running. Here's a link to the 2019 thread:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412539

Lots of international aircraft swaps for 2020 already, including:

In the airport-related news, three people with measles traveled through LAX in December, potentially exposing lots of travelers. More here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/12/16/three-people-infected-with-measles-traveled-through-lax-last-week-health-officials-say/

A man died after falling to his death from the Tom Bradley International Terminal on Dec 29th.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/12/29/man-dead-after-falling-at-lax-airport/

Rain, traffic, and the mess that is the new ride pickup system contributes to huge delays at LAX on a super-peak day of holiday travel.
https://abc7.com/travel/rain-traffic-impacts-super-peak-travel-day-at-lax-/5782078/
On a personal note, I planned to arrive 2 hours before departure at LAX for my Dec 19th flight, and got stuck in the traffic going into the bend on Sepulveda, well beyond where the In N Out is. As I sat in my Lyft (couldn't walk/run to the terminals as I had luggage), we moved about 200ft every hour, and my departure time came and went without me getting to the terminals. I was calling AA from my Lyft twice in half an hour intervals advising them that I probably wouldn't make my flight, and they said not to worry and that I'd be rerouted/ placed on other flights. When I finally got into the terminal and the customer service line, almost all the people there were for the same reason - they'd missed their flights due to the traffic. This whole fiasco was completely insane. The traffic was caused by the cars going into the arrivals level, and my Lyft driver said now it was worse because all the arriving passengers would call family/friends, or pay random people to pick them up curbside, because private cars are still allowed there, causing a massive logjam. When we got to the bend on the departures level, the traffic wasn't that bad. While I was initially optimistic about the rideshares being moved to a lot, the wider repercussions have made things work. LAX had an inefficient system, but by all means it wasn't broken. This made it worse. Anyone else have good (or bad) experiences like this since the airport switched over to the LAX-it system?

Here's to a great 2020!

rjbesikof

Re: LAX Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:25 am

Hello,
Does anyone know when the new satellite terminal west of TBIT is going to open?
Rudy Besikof

The777Man

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 am

NeBaNi wrote:
Thought it might be a good idea to start the LAX Aviation Thread for the second year in the running. Here's a link to the 2019 thread:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1412539

Lots of international aircraft swaps for 2020 already, including:

In the airport-related news, three people with measles traveled through LAX in December, potentially exposing lots of travelers. More here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/12/16/three-people-infected-with-measles-traveled-through-lax-last-week-health-officials-say/

A man died after falling to his death from the Tom Bradley International Terminal on Dec 29th.
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/12/29/man-dead-after-falling-at-lax-airport/

Rain, traffic, and the mess that is the new ride pickup system contributes to huge delays at LAX on a super-peak day of holiday travel.
https://abc7.com/travel/rain-traffic-impacts-super-peak-travel-day-at-lax-/5782078/
On a personal note, I planned to arrive 2 hours before departure at LAX for my Dec 19th flight, and got stuck in the traffic going into the bend on Sepulveda, well beyond where the In N Out is. As I sat in my Lyft (couldn't walk/run to the terminals as I had luggage), we moved about 200ft every hour, and my departure time came and went without me getting to the terminals. I was calling AA from my Lyft twice in half an hour intervals advising them that I probably wouldn't make my flight, and they said not to worry and that I'd be rerouted/ placed on other flights. When I finally got into the terminal and the customer service line, almost all the people there were for the same reason - they'd missed their flights due to the traffic. This whole fiasco was completely insane. The traffic was caused by the cars going into the arrivals level, and my Lyft driver said now it was worse because all the arriving passengers would call family/friends, or pay random people to pick them up curbside, because private cars are still allowed there, causing a massive logjam. When we got to the bend on the departures level, the traffic wasn't that bad. While I was initially optimistic about the rideshares being moved to a lot, the wider repercussions have made things work. LAX had an inefficient system, but by all means it wasn't broken. This made it worse. Anyone else have good (or bad) experiences like this since the airport switched over to the LAX-it system?

Here's to a great 2020!

Thanks for the new thread.

TK actually is keeping the 77W for the regular flight but will fly the 789 on the new earlier flight.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

SBowla

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:25 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
Hello,
Rudy Besikof

Second Quarter 2020 is the MSC's estimated date on the LAWA website, but there are no updates.

Here is a link to the latest video of the construction:

https://youtu.be/bsnMBUycIvE

Looks like the exterior is largely done. They have the jetbridges delivered over there. Likely still much more to do on the inside, and I wouldn't be surprised if the opening date is moved back a few months.

rjbesikof

Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:11 am

SBowla wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
Hello,
Rudy Besikof

Second Quarter 2020 is the MSC's estimated date on the LAWA website, but there are no updates.

Looks like the exterior is largely done. They have the jetbridges delivered over there. Likely still much more to do on the inside, and I wouldn't be surprised if the opening date is moved back a few months.

As of now, what airlines will be using MSC?

boi96762

Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:33 pm

Any idea about when the first phase of terminal 3 is opening? Also where will Delta's hardstand gates be located during phase 2?

SBowla

Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:09 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
SBowla wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
Hello,
Rudy Besikof

The airlines haven't been announced yet.

gregn21

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 am

boi96762 wrote:
Any idea about when the first phase of terminal 3 is opening? Also where will Delta's hardstand gates be located during phase 2?

Is DL supposed to get hard stand gates during construction? I haven’t heard anything about that. I would assume they could take over an area of the existing remote gates at the west end of the airfield. I don’t know for sure though. Seems like it would be more efficient to build their TBIT connector now and use some TBIT north gates during construction of T3 after MSC is finished.

doug

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 am

What’s LAX capacity?almost 90 million passengers now how much more can it handle?

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:24 pm

doug wrote:
What’s LAX capacity?almost 90 million passengers now how much more can it handle?

Not sure about the planned capacity, but according to Wiki, LAX handled 88 million passengers in 2019, up from 87.5 million in 2018.

aklrno

Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Is there a published schedule for the demolition of T3? Or a construction schedule for the MSC South? MSC south should go a lot faster than MSC North. It is a much simpler building.

I don't really see how a TBIT-T3 connector will help much during T3 reconstruction unless there is a secure path from T2 to the new connector through the construction area. And it will be a long walk for some people if Delta uses TBIT gates but people check in at T2. The walk from T2 to MSC will be way too long for a lot of people. I guess there are a lot of buses in the future for Delta at LAX.

FSDan

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:27 pm

SBowla wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
SBowla wrote:

The airlines haven't been announced yet.

Do we think airlines will actually be announced? I know the current process for assigning flights to TBIT jetbridge gates vs bus gates is mostly a common use setup, with flights designated as preferential for jetbridge gates based on a hierarchy of factors including on-time performance, longevity of the flight, aircraft type (e.g. A380s preferred for A380-capable gates), whether it's daily, turn time, etc. Someone posted an in depth document about it on here a summer or two ago. I'd assume that process might extend to MSC North, with flights that are less-than-daily, newer routes, and/or longer turnaround times being relegated to the satellite. The exception might be any airline that has a lounge over there, in which case that could be written into the policy. For example, the policy posted here before had some specific carveouts for certain DL flights that were prioritized for TBIT access based on LAWA's deal with DL for T2-T3 renovation.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

carljanderson

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:46 pm

Per March 5, 2020 LAWA Board Meeting agenda, Air France is set to lease an 11500 Sq.ft. lounge in the MWC. The summary report indicates that AF/KLM may have preferential rights to MSC Gates

https://www.lawa.org/en/lawa-governance ... c-meetings

gregn21

Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:22 pm

carljanderson wrote:
Per March 5, 2020 LAWA Board Meeting agenda, Air France is set to lease an 11500 Sq.ft. lounge in the MWC. The summary report indicates that AF/KLM may have preferential rights to MSC Gates

Here's the direct link:
https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=4&event_id=1351&meta_id=40659

It's pretty weird to me they would prefer MSC gates. Why would they intentionally move further away from DL at T2, T3, and TBIT B? They already have access to the KE / Skyteam lounge anyway.

hl8208

Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 pm

gregn21 wrote:
carljanderson wrote:

Here's the direct link:
https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=4&event_id=1351&meta_id=40659

It's pretty weird to me they would prefer MSC gates. Why would they intentionally move further away from DL at T2, T3, and TBIT B? They already have access to the KE / Skyteam lounge anyway.

The KE lounge is garbage (if I'm not mistaken, F pax on AF use either the Oneworld or Star lounge anyway, though I forget which one). There are up to 5 KL/AF flights per day, so makes total sense to have their own space.

USAAirline

Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 pm

Since AA will likely not have to lose the Superbay facility, what will become of United's west hangar? I expected that would be where AA maintenance moved to to clear the way for MSC South.

ericm2031

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:15 am

Looks like for quite a few meetings, it lists lease negotiations with WN and UA. Are these related to T1E (T0) and T9?

Aisak

Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:59 pm

gregn21 wrote:

We tend to overestimate the advantages of sharing facilities. LAX is in the process of a massive redevelopment grouping airlines in a way it eases, not only connections but also the flow of passengers within the airport.
There are already 10 Delta Skyteam partners +VS +WS and we still don’t know how DL&friends will spread out within the new T2-T3-TBITNorth-MFC. But given AF-KLM flights come from the East overflying every other DL hub, I guess they won’t have as many connections as partners flying from Asia or the rest of America. So being just one building further away from DL domestic doesn’t seem that bad. Even more, if that location will offer them the chance to run their own facilities.
A much worse solution would be a terminal on the south side of the airport, so the new concourse seems like a more than ok location given their use of the airport.

atlflyer

Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:38 am

ericm2031 wrote:
Looks like for quite a few meetings, it lists lease negotiations with WN and UA. Are these related to T1E (T0) and T9?

Seems like it could be...

WidebodyPTV

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:39 am

Per its website, LAX is closing its economy lot (lot E) effective Monday. I'm disappointed, because I'm in a position where I have to fly, but don't know my exact return, and most third-party lots require a reservation and will bend you over if you change your return date.

LAX772LR

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:43 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Per its website, LAX is closing its economy lot (lot E) effective Monday. I'm disappointed, because I'm in a position where I have to fly, but don't know my exact return, and most third-party lots require a reservation and will bend you over if you change your return date.

Wallypark EXPRESS does not.
Usually quite reasonable prices, and it's on 1st-come 1st-served, but even during Christmas I've never had issues finding a space there (unlike the old econo lot!)

Again, emphasis on the latter word; it's not the same operation as regular WallyPark (at least in terms of prices and shuttles).
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

WidebodyPTV

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:08 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Usually quite reasonable prices, and it's on 1st-come 1st-served, but even during Christmas I've never had issues finding a space there (unlike the old econo lot!)

Again, emphasis on the latter word; it's not the same operation as regular WallyPark (at least in terms of prices and shuttles).

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, their Express Lot is closed at the moment. Several other private lots are cutting hours with little notice, which makes me weary... I’d Uber it, but I’m in very South OC and it shows no Ubers available right now (on a Friday night), which is similar to the time I’ll be leaving. Crazy times!!!!!

ATCJesus

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, their Express Lot is closed at the moment. Several other private lots are cutting hours with little notice, which makes me weary... I’d Uber it, but I’m in very South OC and it shows no Ubers available right now (on a Friday night), which is similar to the time I’ll be leaving. Crazy times!!!!!

I think LA suspended their parking enforcement. Park in westchester and Uber I’m over.

JakubH

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:34 pm

What are the chances of LAX's renovation being expedited due to reduced travel volumes these days and weeks? What a great surprise to tens of millions of us this would be - and could help many find much-needed jobs. Is there any hope?
Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.

gmcc

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 pm

JakubH wrote:
What are the chances of LAX's renovation being expedited due to reduced travel volumes these days and weeks? What a great surprise to tens of millions of us this would be - and could help many find much-needed jobs. Is there any hope?

Wouldn't think it will move much faster right now as a lot of the long lead time stuff like structural steel wouldn't be delivered yet and the work force is probably under shelter in place orders. Once the shelter in place order is lifted they might be able to speed things up.

klkla

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:49 pm

JakubH wrote:

Maybe as part of the Infrastructure legislation being considered. It would be nice if they used this down time to finish Terminal 3 while it is closed. That would save a lot of time.

LAXintl

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:16 am

JakubH wrote:

Took part in meeting only yesterday, and while LAWA is continuing on projects like MSC and trying to keep its July 1st opening date, the fact is there are social distancing requirements for construction workers, and vendors are having supply/staffing issues which makes it hard to operate like normal.

Also long term, LAWA will have to reduce its budget (and most likely staffing) as well as airport income drops and airlines themselves put pressure on LAWA to keep cost down and slow CapEx spending.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DTWLAX

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:59 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:

Didn't they open Lot E less than a year ago? Why are they closing it down already?

LAXintl

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:02 am

It cost money to operate parking lots. With many operating at 10% capacity, they are consolidating. They are even talking about closing employee parking lots as the employee population is dropping fast and 4,000 will be allowed to park in CTA lots instead.

Same with FlyAway. All routes besides Union Station and Van Nuys are suspended and the remaining two have reduced frequencies.

FIS is closed in terminals except for TBIT, and all international arrivals are consolidated into TBIT which itself has reduced open hours.

Multiple security checkpoints are closed and others with reduced hours.

Airport Police will for first time enforce airport/CTA closure between 00:00-05:00. Unless and employee or ticketed passenger the airport will technically close overnight for the first time in memory!

Byrdluvs747

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:09 am

Meh. I hope this whole thread doesn't become about DL. Im more interested in the south concourses. Has there been any published information stemming from the meetings between LAWA and the T4-T8 airlines?
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Aceskywalker

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:20 am

LAX is a huge market, but its split and its expensive to operate in; the US3 + WN have stations that are much more cheaper to operate in. The chance for LAX being dehubbed is very much a possibility; possibly being a focus city or a simple outstation, with TATL, TPAC, and Latin American services being trimmed down heavily and pushed to cheaper or more strong hubs.

ATCJesus

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Aceskywalker wrote:
LAX is a huge market, but its split and its expensive to operate in; the US3 + WN have stations that are much more cheaper to operate in. The chance for LAX being dehubbed is very much a possibility; possibly being a focus city or a simple outstation, with TATL, TPAC, and Latin American services being trimmed down heavily and pushed to cheaper or more strong hubs.

Not gunna happen, the OD out of LA is the biggest in the nation and people in LA will pay the premium that comes with a nonstop.

WNagent310

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:16 pm

It’s so quiet you can hear the birds chirping around the airfield quite surreal. Update from the WN operation here at LAX. We’re running a peak weekday schedule of 52 flights per day now and load factors on any given day right is well below 10% even with all the cuts.

LAXintl

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:13 pm

To put things in perspective for Tuesday - the entire airport handled under 8,000 outbound passengers!

WidebodyPTV

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:35 pm

There was a pretty good article in the LA Times earlier this week, about the homeless population living within the airport. Boy, I'm an idiot... I see people sleeping in the non-secured areas all the time and have always assumed they missed their flight. While some are, apparently most are homeless.

DTWLAX wrote:
Didn't they open Lot E less than a year ago? Why are they closing it down already?

It's not a permanent closure, although it's disappointing, as the only other option is the onsite garages at $40/day. I ended up parking off-site, but the vendor called me yesterday and said they were closing indefinitely and they were making arrangements for me to pick up my car at a car rental. They probably plan to put in on the Emerald Aisle to make a few bucks ..

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 pm

LAXintl wrote:
To put things in perspective for Tuesday - the entire airport handled under 8,000 outbound passengers!

Wowza, that's less than the 10,000 pax LAX handles per hour during normal times! (2018 total pax figures divided by (number of days time number of hours/day)).

carljanderson

Fri May 08, 2020 1:14 am

Noticed in the flurry of Special Meetings that LAWA is getting updates on Real Estate Negotiations with the 4 big boys. I assume it is for a longer grace period from the gate utilization requirements. Is that right? Or is for modifications of the construction timelines, or both?

I did find it interesting that the other passenger airlines aren't listed.

gmcc

Fri May 08, 2020 4:54 am

Since many of us are not flying through LAX and might not get a chance to see the work going on here is a link to the webcams for LAMP

https://public.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLmq7T ... _-_regular

In the CONRAC cam I finally see just how big it will be.

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Already discussed in the Delta Covid thread, but a little morsel of news relevant to LAX: with Delta retiring the 777 fleet, it seems LAX will be a base for the A350s by year's end.
Ref: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-air-lines-airbus-a350s-cincinnati-base-lax/

Bradin

Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Just got this email from LAWA regarding the Midfield Satellite Concourse Trials:

As you are a valued stakeholder, LAWA wanted to take a moment to provide you with an update on the status of the Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) Trials.

COVID-19 has had an unprecedented and devastating impact on the aviation industry. At LAX, we have seen a reduction of over 90% in our passenger traffic compared to the same period last year. In order to practice social distancing and keep everyone as safe as possible, our plans for conducting the MSC facility trials are currently on hold until further notice. As our plans for opening this amazing new facility change, we will communicate them.

wnflyguy

Wed May 20, 2020 9:20 pm

Terminal Zero and terminal 9 are Also on hold.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

NeBaNi
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2020 4:54 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Flyguy

I'm not surprised to be honest, but it is disappointing. Planning new terminals/capacity is a multi-year process, so when the air traffic rebounds, LAX will be bursting at the seams again, with plans of new capacity shifted into the future.

gmcc

Thu May 21, 2020 5:22 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Flyguy

Terminal 9 I can understand as it would require a lot landslide and airside work. Putting concourse zero on hold surprises me as it is all airside which would be easier. Seems like you could complete it and then just close it off from Terminal 1 until it was needed.

Bradin

Thu May 21, 2020 8:15 pm

gmcc wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Flyguy

Terminal 9 I can understand as it would require a lot landslide and airside work. Putting concourse zero on hold surprises me as it is all airside which would be easier. Seems like you could complete it and then just close it off from Terminal 1 until it was needed.

As someone who flies in and out of LAX for work frequently, Terminal 0 would not airside. Terminal 0 would be right where LAXit is presenty.

CrankyFlier has a decent blog entry and some decent mockups to visualize. https://crankyflier.com/2019/04/16/a-lo ... ncourse-0/

gmcc

Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Bradin wrote:
gmcc wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Flyguy

As someone who flies in and out of LAX for work frequently, Terminal 0 would not airside. Terminal 0 would be right where LAXit is presenty.

CrankyFlier has a decent blog entry and some decent mockups to visualize. https://crankyflier.com/2019/04/16/a-lo ... ncourse-0/

Very true. I should have not relied on my foggy old brain. The actual location where zero would go is currently landside and I thought it didn't have anything stopping it from just fencing it in airside. After consulting google maps I realized one of the entrances, Skyway road would have to dissapeared. That's really not practical till LAMP is up and running.

AAlaxfan

Thu May 21, 2020 9:18 pm

Bradin wrote:
gmcc wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Flyguy

Though the body of Concourse 0 would extend to World Way, the entire operations would be an airside only Concourse.

From CrankyFlier's post: "For years there has been talk about creating Terminal 0, but instead it looks like it will be Concourse 0. What’s the difference? Well, there won’t be an area outside security for that concourse. People will still check in and claim bags in Terminal 1 but then walk over to have more gates in 0. "
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

atlflyer

Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 am

Here’s a nice update with photos on the MSC:

https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=42050

rjbesikof

Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 am

atlflyer wrote:

Looks like it's going to open in November per this pdf.

Bradin

Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 am

atlflyer wrote:

Now I'm super curious, with LAWA documenting COVID-19 related project risks, what is LAWA thinking for MSC South?

The MSC South was suppose to add several A320/737 gates gates. It seems like the much needed break LAWA was looking for given that airlines don't need the additional capacity immediately.

https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=38379

atlflyer

Sun May 24, 2020 3:13 pm

Bradin wrote:
atlflyer wrote:

Now I'm super curious, with LAWA documenting COVID-19 related project risks, what is LAWA thinking for MSC South?

The MSC South was suppose to add several A320/737 gates gates. It seems like the much needed break LAWA was looking for given that airlines don't need the additional capacity immediately.

https://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.ph ... a_id=38379

Yes, agreed. Seems LAX doesn’t need to build the “temporary” LAX South and can hold off and build the original/final buildout when things improve.