Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
greenair727
Posts: 1490
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm

masseybrown wrote:
UA says they posted a new schedule yesterday showing 68% schedule reductions. No new reductions for CLE, as far as I can tell.


It looks like LA-CLE is on the list.

https://hub.united.com/united-flight-re ... 14815.html
 
avtcle
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:21 am

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Won’t run in April. It’s scheduled to return @ 2x daily in May... I doubt it.
 
swacle
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:34 pm

Numbers growing of parked planes. I saw 13 737, 1 A320, and at least 4 ERJ's today.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:40 pm

I'm a little shocked CLE SFO isn't suspended. . . .
 
SgtBarone
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 pm

Lots of United planes parked at CLE:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/loc ... a-nosedive
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAS LAX LGB MAD MCI MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:05 pm

New GTC construction gets underway April 1 (that's no joke): https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2020 ... limos.html
 
greenair727
Posts: 1490
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 pm

UA finally closed the United Club for COVID-19. As recently as yesterday, it was still open.

https://www.centerforcleveland.org/covid-19
 
masseybrown
Posts: 5582
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:58 pm

What impressed me about this CLE photo is not that UA is parking planes long-term at their gates, but that AA ISN'T - those were normal flights last week.
Let's hope AA's interest in CLE outlasts the virus interruption.

Image
 
Trk1
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:45 pm

AA looks to change quickly--they will be down to 15 daily. dropped. LGA/DCA/JFK. only 3 to Ord and DFW
FL only 1
DL to 12
 
masseybrown
Posts: 5582
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:36 pm

Trk1 wrote:
AA looks to change quickly--they will be down to 15 daily. dropped. LGA/DCA/JFK. only 3 to Ord and DFW
FL only 1
DL to 12


Some of those flights come back in May and June schedules. Whether that actually happens, of course, is pure conjecture at this point.
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:22 pm

Spirit cancels all flights to CLE April 8-May 5. https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020 ... month.html
 
swacle
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 pm

As of today, United has about 71 planes parked in CLE. 37 ERJ, 32 737, 1 320 and 1 E75.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 am

Incredibly (and sadly) CLE will have no flights to DCA as AAs new schedule goes into effect. Our peer cities didn’t have the flight cut, not yet anyway. Not sure any of us in the thread have been around long enough to know when CLE last didn’t have service to DCA.
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 am

Some destinations that still have a flight on 4/13 to DCA unlike cle. ROC BTV CVG PVD MEM MCI PIT IND SDG CAE ALB CHS CMH. I haven’t checked other days.
 
masseybrown
Posts: 5582
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:30 pm

If FlightAware is right, both UA and NK ran CLE-MCO flights this morning. Why? I thought ALL the tourist attractions were closed.
 
ncflyer
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 7:03 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:39 pm

I know a lot of snowbirds in FL trying to figure when/if to get back to NEO, independent of the parks, and with Passover and Easter coming that’s a reason for many to head north. But they sure weren’t on UA flight, about 17 people on each direction according to the seat map.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5782
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:45 pm

ncflyer wrote:

Incredibly (and sadly) CLE will have no flights to DCA as AAs new schedule goes into effect. Our peer cities didn’t have the flight cut, not yet anyway. Not sure any of us in the thread have been around long enough to know when CLE last didn’t have service to DCA.


In the 3+ weeks following 9/11 most likely.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3776
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Some destinations that still have a flight on 4/13 to DCA unlike cle. ROC BTV CVG PVD MEM MCI PIT IND SDG CAE ALB CHS CMH. I haven’t checked other days.
ncflyer wrote:
Incredibly (and sadly) CLE will have no flights to DCA as AAs new schedule goes into effect. Our peer cities didn’t have the flight cut, not yet anyway. Not sure any of us in the thread have been around long enough to know when CLE last didn’t have service to DCA.


A lot of cities get DCA cut in May though.
 
masseybrown
Posts: 5582
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:43 pm

If JetBlue can close ONT and consolidate at LAX under the CARES bill, can an airline close CAK and consolidate at CLE? The DoT does list CLE/CAK as a single point in some statistical measures and ONT-LAX is slightly greater in terms of dirving distance than CAK-CLE. Hmm ...
 
NWDALMSPDTW
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 pm

swacle wrote:
As of today, United has about 71 planes parked in CLE. 37 ERJ, 32 737, 1 320 and 1 E75.


Anybody able to get some pictures of what this looks like around the field? Curious to see where/how they're parking them in CLE after seeing all the pics of PIT.
 
swacle
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:21 pm

NWDALMSPDTW wrote:
swacle wrote:
As of today, United has about 71 planes parked in CLE. 37 ERJ, 32 737, 1 320 and 1 E75.


Anybody able to get some pictures of what this looks like around the field? Curious to see where/how they're parking them in CLE after seeing all the pics of PIT.


Ill grab some tomorrow. D concourse is packed, 6 ERJ on each end, 3 737 stacked in the first set of fingers, 4 ERJ in the second, then 737 again in the last two sets, front side is a mix of ERJ and 737. There are 5 737's on the cargo pad, 12 on pad 3, 4 ERJ's on Pad 1 (half of the Deice pad remains open) and 20 or so ERJ by Expressjet's hangar on the north side of A. It looks like a few more have been parked since I rode around the field on Sunday.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32
 
avtcle
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:21 am

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:31 am

masseybrown wrote:
If JetBlue can close ONT and consolidate at LAX under the CARES bill, can an airline close CAK and consolidate at CLE? The DoT does list CLE/CAK as a single point in some statistical measures and ONT-LAX is slightly greater in terms of dirving distance than CAK-CLE. Hmm ...


This is absolutely possible... and exactly why CAK leadership has been voicing their opposition to the bill. They’d certainly lose service to CLE.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 3776
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:39 am

avtcle wrote:
masseybrown wrote:
If JetBlue can close ONT and consolidate at LAX under the CARES bill, can an airline close CAK and consolidate at CLE? The DoT does list CLE/CAK as a single point in some statistical measures and ONT-LAX is slightly greater in terms of dirving distance than CAK-CLE. Hmm ...


This is absolutely possible... and exactly why CAK leadership has been voicing their opposition to the bill. They’d certainly lose service to CLE.


Looks like Spirit wants to quit flying to CAK and CLE for now (assuming metro area includes CAK).

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/12 ... 90689?s=20
 
chrisjake
Posts: 1026
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:19 am

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:45 am

NWDALMSPDTW wrote:
swacle wrote:
As of today, United has about 71 planes parked in CLE. 37 ERJ, 32 737, 1 320 and 1 E75.


Anybody able to get some pictures of what this looks like around the field? Curious to see where/how they're parking them in CLE after seeing all the pics of PIT.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... ateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... ateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... ateposted/
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:02 pm

To recall a better time..... I was mentally going through all the different aircraft I've seen at Hopkin's since I started being an airliner nut as a kid in the early 60's. Does anyone know if TWA ever scheduled CV-880's out of CLE? It's the only early jet I didn't see there and I never saw Elvis's when he came to town. I did see a Modern Air CV-990 once though!
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
     
    masseybrown
    Posts: 5582
    Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

    Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:22 pm

    MohawkWeekend wrote:
    Does anyone know if TWA ever scheduled CV-880's out of CLE?


    Yes, TWA's big, brief moment was in the early 60's when TWA had applied for CLE-ORD/NYC/PHL routes (United monopolies after the Capital merger). To demonstrate 'bona fides' TWA used its restricted authority to schedule four or five probably unprofitable trips between CLE and LGA/IDL. Most of the trips were 880s and discontinued within a few months. Then the restriction on TWA's authority was any CLE-NYC nonstop had to have its origin or destination at or west of STL; later they got additional rights to operate CLE-NYC nonstop provided the flight continued to Europe.
     
    User avatar
    flyPIT
    Posts: 1973
    Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

    Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:43 pm

    MohawkWeekend wrote:
    To recall a better time..... I was mentally going through all the different aircraft I've seen at Hopkin's since I started being an airliner nut as a kid in the early 60's. Does anyone know if TWA ever scheduled CV-880's out of CLE? It's the only early jet I didn't see there and I never saw Elvis's when he came to town. I did see a Modern Air CV-990 once though!


    I hope you see it before it gets deleted!

    https://www.airlinefan.com/airline-photos/Trans-World-Airlines-%28TWA%29/Convair/CV-880/N805TW/7352578/
    FLYi
     
    corn4ahead
    Posts: 78
    Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:29 am

    Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:51 pm

    Here's a good one from 2 days ago.


    Parked Planes @ CLE
     
    MohawkWeekend
    Posts: 348
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

    Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:09 pm

    Thanks Guys -

    as Archie Bunker would sing - "those were the days".
      300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
       
      joeman
      Posts: 869
      Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

      Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

      Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:40 am

      MohawkWeekend wrote:
      To recall a better time..... I was mentally going through all the different aircraft I've seen at Hopkin's since I started being an airliner nut as a kid in the early 60's. Does anyone know if TWA ever scheduled CV-880's out of CLE? It's the only early jet I didn't see there and I never saw Elvis's when he came to town. I did see a Modern Air CV-990 once though!


      Here's remnant in 1964 of what massey referred to: an 11:10 am CV-880 departure to JFK.
      http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages ... w64-09.jpg
      I saw a Modern Air CV-990 once also but never came across an AA CV-990 scheduled into CLE despite having a decent sized op back in those 1960's
       
      MohawkWeekend
      Posts: 348
      Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

      Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

      Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:27 am

      That is so cool thanks for sharing. My brother and I spent countless hours on the Observation Deck back in the sixties. Mom would drop us off at the airport and then just pick us up a couple of hours later. A couple of times Pilots or rampers would invite us out and show us around. I recall getting a cockpit tour of an Easter DC-8-61 than ran back and forth to San Juan. I believe Eastern built what is now United's 737 maintenance hanger and they would work on that plane there although it didn't fit.
        300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
         
        joeman
        Posts: 869
        Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

        Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

        Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:49 am

        MohawkWeekend wrote:
        That is so cool thanks for sharing. My brother and I spent countless hours on the Observation Deck back in the sixties. Mom would drop us off at the airport and then just pick us up a couple of hours later. A couple of times Pilots or rampers would invite us out and show us around. I recall getting a cockpit tour of an Easter DC-8-61 than ran back and forth to San Juan. I believe Eastern built what is now United's 737 maintenance hanger and they would work on that plane there although it didn't fit.

        Wow similar, in later 60's I had my mom or dad drop me off and do the same thing, lived in Fairview Park. That Modern Air CV 990 I saw was parked on the west side, probably an AA gate, at what was then I think called the "north" concourse...cheers
         
        MohawkWeekend
        Posts: 348
        Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

        Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

        Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 am

        That's where I saw it too. Bet we were at the airport at the same time. I can only imagine what the noise level would have been at your house when they used Rwy 18-36.
          300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
           
          User avatar
          CLEguy
          Posts: 372
          Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

          Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

          Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm

          joeman wrote:
          MohawkWeekend wrote:
          That is so cool thanks for sharing. My brother and I spent countless hours on the Observation Deck back in the sixties. Mom would drop us off at the airport and then just pick us up a couple of hours later. A couple of times Pilots or rampers would invite us out and show us around. I recall getting a cockpit tour of an Easter DC-8-61 than ran back and forth to San Juan. I believe Eastern built what is now United's 737 maintenance hanger and they would work on that plane there although it didn't fit.

          Wow similar, in later 60's I had my mom or dad drop me off and do the same thing, lived in Fairview Park. That Modern Air CV 990 I saw was parked on the west side, probably an AA gate, at what was then I think called the "north" concourse...cheers


          I appreciate these trips down memory lane. I'm about a decade or so behind you guys, but have some recollection of the old observation deck on top of the West Concourse (now B). Do either of you have any images, particularly of the interior of the concourses before the big renovations of the mid-1970's and early 1980's?

          I also remember the last observation deck with indoor and outdoor areas that ultimately closed after 9/11/01. As soon as I got my driver's license and had access to a car around 1983, I would spend hours on that deck. My most vivid memories are of the old Wright Airlines Convairs that parked at the end of B. I wish I had a camera back then to capture some of those memories.
           
          MohawkWeekend
          Posts: 348
          Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

          Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

          Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm

          I don't have any pictures unfortunately. I recall tile floors and small boarding areas with round back 50's Danish style seats on A and B Concourses. Maybe 30 seats max. Remember you could show up at the airport 15 minutes before your flight departed and still make the flight. And have a smoke before you walked out on the ramp. The windows were just like the ones you probably had in elementary school that were aluminum and you could open. I remember on night my brother brought a tape recorder so we opened the window and recorded the sounds of the jets. Imagine doing that today. There was a barber shop and a sit down restaurant in the "Grand Hall" of the airport which is where the middle security station is today. It really classy and impressive to me at the time. I'm sure that behind the drywall on the north side of the TSA line is the large mechanical board that showed all the flights arriving and departing. Almost like Fenway Park
            300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
             
            User avatar
            CLEguy
            Posts: 372
            Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

            Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

            Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:33 pm

            MohawkWeekend wrote:
            I don't have any pictures unfortunately. I recall tile floors and small boarding areas with round back 50's Danish style seats on A and B Concourses. Maybe 30 seats max. Remember you could show up at the airport 15 minutes before your flight departed and still make the flight. And have a smoke before you walked out on the ramp. The windows were just like the ones you probably had in elementary school that were aluminum and you could open. I remember on night my brother brought a tape recorder so we opened the window and recorded the sounds of the jets. Imagine doing that today. There was a barber shop and a sit down restaurant in the "Grand Hall" of the airport which is where the middle security station is today. It really classy and impressive to me at the time. I'm sure that behind the drywall on the north side of the TSA line is the large mechanical board that showed all the flights arriving and departing. Almost like Fenway Park


            I bet they removed that original flight information display system, although it was another historic first for CLE. Thanks, again, for these memories!
             
            User avatar
            CLEguy
            Posts: 372
            Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

            Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

            Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:34 pm

            UA flight attendants fear for themselves and their passenger: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020 ... vjy9BlksQ4
             
            Trk1
            Posts: 162
            Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm

            Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

            Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:42 pm

            When I was in elementary school in the 1960's I had several Birthday meals at the Hopkins Restaurant that overlooked the west and north concourses.
            Does anyone remember its name. Also during that time period my parents would wait in the car as I would run down the ticket counter areas (in the old lower level) to pick ip airline timetables. I also remember the big deal when the United baggage claim area got automatic belts and the other airlines
            had bins that the unloaded bags were placed on. If I recall the order of the ticket counters was North Central, United, American, Eastern, TWA, North West,Trans Canada, Lake Central and Mohawk. (correct me if I have the order wrong. I remember also the big deal when the West Concourse added gates 8/9 along with the customs area for Trans Canada and the North Concouse added gates for American and Northwest. If I recall gates. 1,3 for TWA,and North Central, 5/7 Eastern. 9 Trans Canada. 2,4,6,8. United and 20,22,24,26,28 United. 21 Allegheny, 23, Mohawk, 25,27 Northwest and the 29/30/31 American.
             
            MohawkWeekend
            Posts: 348
            Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

            Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

            Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm

            That is an amazing memory you have. I don't recall the name of the restaurant either. I only flew out of the Trans Canada gate once - Parma schools had a program where 3rd year language students could fly to Europe for a one week trip. The school chartered an Air France 707 for the flight in 1973.
              300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
               
              greenair727
              Posts: 1490
              Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:27 am

              Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

              Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:34 pm

              Was the restaurant the Mark IV? or am I thinking of something else?
               
              joeman
              Posts: 869
              Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

              Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

              Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 pm

              MohawkWeekend wrote:
              That's where I saw it too. Bet we were at the airport at the same time. I can only imagine what the noise level would have been at your house when they used Rwy 18-36.

              lol, thinking you're so right l...lived on west 210, south of Lorain lined up with the glidepath for that old north-south runway....great backyard views, especially landings. Take-offs could be great too but definitely annoying when watching tv or on the phone when something like a UA Caravelle or Mohawk BAC 1-11 were climbing out.

              For CLEguy...No interior pictures but a couple crappy (kid taken) ones from the ole observation deck of things like UA Caravelle, EA DC-8-61, and NE DC-9
              Last edited by joeman on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
               
              Trk1
              Posts: 162
              Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 pm

              Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

              Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:03 pm

              If I remember the Mark was on the second floor of Burke
               
              joeman
              Posts: 869
              Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

              Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

              Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:05 pm

              Trk1 wrote:
              When I was in elementary school in the 1960's I had several Birthday meals at the Hopkins Restaurant that overlooked the west and north concourses.
              Does anyone remember its name. Also during that time period my parents would wait in the car as I would run down the ticket counter areas (in the old lower level) to pick ip airline timetables. I also remember the big deal when the United baggage claim area got automatic belts and the other airlines
              had bins that the unloaded bags were placed on. If I recall the order of the ticket counters was North Central, United, American, Eastern, TWA, North West,Trans Canada, Lake Central and Mohawk. (correct me if I have the order wrong. I remember also the big deal when the West Concourse added gates 8/9 along with the customs area for Trans Canada and the North Concouse added gates for American and Northwest. If I recall gates. 1,3 for TWA,and North Central, 5/7 Eastern. 9 Trans Canada. 2,4,6,8. United and 20,22,24,26,28 United. 21 Allegheny, 23, Mohawk, 25,27 Northwest and the 29/30/31 American.

              Hi Trk1, I think you are right on in the order of the ticket counter, with Mohawk at the end and sideways? I remember being disappointed when NE came in 1969, shared the North Cental Ticket counter but only put an NE logo placard on the their counter for check in. I was excited when they went daily for awhile in the summer of 70, on a Cleveland-Detroit-Burlington routing instead of weekend only Burlington-Cleveland-Chicago Midway one from when they started....I went to those counters and collected timetables too!!! Saved em in a big suitcase for years...dumped em after I got married, then E-Bay happened....lol
               
              User avatar
              CLEguy
              Posts: 372
              Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

              Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

              Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:13 pm

              joeman wrote:
              Trk1 wrote:
              When I was in elementary school in the 1960's I had several Birthday meals at the Hopkins Restaurant that overlooked the west and north concourses.
              Does anyone remember its name. Also during that time period my parents would wait in the car as I would run down the ticket counter areas (in the old lower level) to pick ip airline timetables. I also remember the big deal when the United baggage claim area got automatic belts and the other airlines
              had bins that the unloaded bags were placed on. If I recall the order of the ticket counters was North Central, United, American, Eastern, TWA, North West,Trans Canada, Lake Central and Mohawk. (correct me if I have the order wrong. I remember also the big deal when the West Concourse added gates 8/9 along with the customs area for Trans Canada and the North Concouse added gates for American and Northwest. If I recall gates. 1,3 for TWA,and North Central, 5/7 Eastern. 9 Trans Canada. 2,4,6,8. United and 20,22,24,26,28 United. 21 Allegheny, 23, Mohawk, 25,27 Northwest and the 29/30/31 American.

              Hi Trk1, I think you are right on in the order of the ticket counter, with Mohawk at the end and sideways? I remember being disappointed when NE came in 1969, shared the North Cental Ticket counter but only put an NE logo placard on the their counter for check in. I was excited when they went daily for awhile in the summer of 70, on a Cleveland-Detroit-Burlington routing instead of weekend only Burlington-Cleveland-Chicago Midway one from when they started....I went to those counters and collected timetables too!!! Saved em in a big suitcase for years...dumped em after I got married, then E-Bay happened....lol


              I have a great picture of the old CLE terminal's ticketing counters, but have no clue how to share it (I can send it via email, if you'd like-message me). But you were pretty close with the airlines order: North Central, United, American, Air Canada, Eastern, TWA, Northwest, Allegheny, Lake Central and Mohawk.
               
              cledaybuck
              Posts: 1812
              Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

              Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

              Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 pm

              Trk1 wrote:
              When I was in elementary school in the 1960's I had several Birthday meals at the Hopkins Restaurant that overlooked the west and north concourses..

              I remember having birthday meals at the Brown Derby across Brookpark Road.
              As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
               
              MohawkWeekend
              Posts: 348
              Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

              Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

              Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:25 am

              My brother did the same thing with the time tables. Those ticket agents must have thought you guys sold them or something.
              I recall when NE started that single flight to Burlington.That was such a big deal when a new carrier began service. I always wondered how in the world did that flight made financial sense. But then there were flights to Elmira (or Ithaca I forget which), and London Ontario too. Delta didn't show up in Cleveland until they bought NE.
                300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
                 
                joeman
                Posts: 869
                Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

                Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

                Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:53 am

                MohawkWeekend wrote:
                My brother did the same thing with the time tables. Those ticket agents must have thought you guys sold them or something.
                I recall when NE started that single flight to Burlington.That was such a big deal when a new carrier began service. I always wondered how in the world did that flight made financial sense. But then there were flights to Elmira (or Ithaca I forget which), and London Ontario too. Delta didn't show up in Cleveland until they bought NE.

                I think the agents just thought we were airplane nuts. lol I use to write airlines asking for any airplane pictures/postcards they might have. I don't remember never getting something from any carrier, some better than others,and some outstanding 8 x10 or so glossy duplicates of their fleet types, sometimes general info on the airline or plane type too. Always wondered even back then how NE could get many passengers on the route and why they couldn't come in to some larger east coast destination but realized they pretty much all had at least 2 CAB assigned carriers already flying. So right about those other small destinations. I think Mohawk may have flown to Ithaca for some maybe short period, but Elmira is probably what you were thinking about with 2 daily round trip BAC 1-11's for a good stretch of time.
                 
                MohawkWeekend
                Posts: 348
                Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

                Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

                Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:12 am

                I do think it was Ithaca. Service was on a FH-227 and it ran only briefly. The flight landed in the early afternoon as I recall.
                  300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11
                   
                  joeman
                  Posts: 869
                  Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:55 am

                  Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

                  Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:14 pm

                  MohawkWeekend wrote:
                  I do think it was Ithaca. Service was on a FH-227 and it ran only briefly. The flight landed in the early afternoon as I recall.

                  Looks like Ithaca and Elmira during this period:
                  http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages ... o67-04.jpg
                  and then Elmira here:
                  http://www.departedflights.com/MO020172p6.html
                   
                  masseybrown
                  Posts: 5582
                  Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

                  Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2020

                  Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:18 pm

                  Now and for some while, New York will be considered part of Greater Philadelphia. AA, DL, and UA have all pulled the plug on CLE-NYC, leaving PHL the closest alternate.

                  Popular Searches On Airliners.net

                  Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

                  Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

                  Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

                  Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

                  Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

                  Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

                  Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

                  Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

                  Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

                  Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

                  Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

                  Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

                  Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

                  Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

                  Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos