Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Vicarious Voyager did an amazing trip report two days ago on the new AC A330 Signature Biz Class YVR-YYZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7f4K2Jco44
 
junyou
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm

C-GEGP FIN#942 has been ferried back to Vancouver. Presumably aircraft has completed cabin reconfiguration works.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:46 pm

junyou wrote:
C-GEGP FIN#942 has been ferried back to Vancouver. Presumably aircraft has completed cabin reconfiguration works.


Not sure of that since it's about to depart YVR for BFM.
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Update time?

New Config (32C/24W/241Y)
934 C-GFUR MSN 344 - active
942 C-GEGP MSN 1015 - highly likely to feature the new config, possibly some rework needed before re-entry into service

In Refurbishment
944 C-GKUG MSN 1149 - transferred from SIN to QPG for refurb on 2nd March
947 C-GOFW MSN 1485 (no listed flights, probably in Singapore, possibly already at QPG)

Old Config (27C/21W/244Y)
931 C-GFAF MSN 277 - active
932 C-GFAH MSN 279 - active
933 C-GFAJ MSN 284 - active
935 C-GHKR MSN 400 - stored in YMX
936 C-GHKW MSN 408 - in YUL since 17 July after storage in YMX
937 C-GHKX MSN 412 - active
938 C-GHLM MSN 419 - active

ex Singapore Config (30CW255Y)
939 C-GEFA MSN 997 - active with mostly 7000 flight numbers, assuming cargo ops
940 C-GEGC MSN 1006 - active with mostly 7000 flight numbers, assuming cargo ops
941 C-GEGI MSN 1012 - active with mostly 7000 flight numbers, assuming cargo ops
943 ?
945 C-GKUH MSN 1156 (stored in Marana)
946 ?


Possible SQ frames more or less available for the last 2 "missing" frames
9V-STC MSN 986 active with SQ
9V-STS MSN 1157 (apparently stored after 1 year with Transasia, wfu Oct2016)
9V-STW MSN 1447 (stored after being wfu Jul2019)
9V-SSC MSN 1544 active with SQ (6 year lease ends theoretically around JUL2020)
9V-SSD MSN 1562 active with SQ (6 year lease ends theoretically around SEP2020)
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)
 
krisyyz
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:04 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:50 pm

MaxiAir wrote:
Update time?

New Config (32C/24W/241Y)
934 C-GFUR MSN 344 - active
942 C-GEGP MSN 1015 - highly likely to feature the new config, possibly some rework needed before re-entry into service

In Refurbishment
944 C-GKUG MSN 1149 - transferred from SIN to QPG for refurb on 2nd March
947 C-GOFW MSN 1485 (no listed flights, probably in Singapore, possibly already at QPG)

Old Config (27C/21W/244Y)
931 C-GFAF MSN 277 - active
932 C-GFAH MSN 279 - active
933 C-GFAJ MSN 284 - active
935 C-GHKR MSN 400 - stored in YMX
936 C-GHKW MSN 408 - in YUL since 17 July after storage in YMX
937 C-GHKX MSN 412 - active
938 C-GHLM MSN 419 - active

ex Singapore Config (30CW255Y)
939 C-GEFA MSN 997 - active with mostly 7000 flight numbers, assuming cargo ops
940 C-GEGC MSN 1006 - active with mostly 7000 flight numbers, assuming cargo ops
941 C-GEGI MSN 1012 - active with mostly 7000 flight numbers, assuming cargo ops
943 ?
945 C-GKUH MSN 1156 (stored in Marana)
946 ?


Possible SQ frames more or less available for the last 2 "missing" frames
9V-STC MSN 986 active with SQ
9V-STS MSN 1157 (apparently stored after 1 year with Transasia, wfu Oct2016)
9V-STW MSN 1447 (stored after being wfu Jul2019)
9V-SSC MSN 1544 active with SQ (6 year lease ends theoretically around JUL2020)
9V-SSD MSN 1562 active with SQ (6 year lease ends theoretically around SEP2020)


C-GOFW is listed as a A330E, not a X version. Will this be the first A330 enhanced for AC? I think the A330Es have the higher MTW and the moving map display.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Air ... d-a330.htm

KrisYYZ
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:14 pm

krisyyz wrote:

C-GOFW is listed as a A330E, not a X version. Will this be the first A330 enhanced for AC? I think the A330Es have the higher MTW and the moving map display.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Air ... d-a330.htm

KrisYYZ


First, the "moving map", you mean on the IFE systems? Thats purely depending on the installed system and the retrofitted original AC 333s have them, as every other aircraft fitted with a capable IFE system.

I wouldn't give too much on what airfleets writes generally. They've been wrong often.

Planespotters lists them without X or E.
https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... 30&sort=cn

The official type certificate data sheet also knows no X or E designation. An "enhanced" version is mentioned however. I'm very familiar with the cabin being classic or enhanced. In reference to the cabin, all ex SQ frames would be "enhanced", while the original Air Canada 330s would be considered "classic".
In the TCDS they list the 242t variant seperately, as they do with the "regional" version Saudia for example took. They also list a variant called "growth". All Air Canada 333s are 330-343 so can't be EIS versions, but should count as "growth" version. All variants come with various weight configurations, the "growth" variation reaching to 233 tons, the Enhanced to 238t.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... sue_57.pdf

Searching a bit through google, "Enhanced" is mostly mentioned in combination with SAS and Delta's 242t versions.

And I found that article, which talks about the Enhanced version with a higher DSG, but does not link improvements like the LED screens in the cockpit to the Enhanced version.
https://www.aviationbusinessnews.com/mr ... intenance/
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)
 
krisyyz
Posts: 1303
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:04 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:54 am

MaxiAir wrote:
krisyyz wrote:

C-GOFW is listed as a A330E, not a X version. Will this be the first A330 enhanced for AC? I think the A330Es have the higher MTW and the moving map display.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Air ... d-a330.htm

KrisYYZ


First, the "moving map", you mean on the IFE systems? Thats purely depending on the installed system and the retrofitted original AC 333s have them, as every other aircraft fitted with a capable IFE system.

I wouldn't give too much on what airfleets writes generally. They've been wrong often.

Planespotters lists them without X or E.
https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... 30&sort=cn

The official type certificate data sheet also knows no X or E designation. An "enhanced" version is mentioned however. I'm very familiar with the cabin being classic or enhanced. In reference to the cabin, all ex SQ frames would be "enhanced", while the original Air Canada 330s would be considered "classic".
In the TCDS they list the 242t variant seperately, as they do with the "regional" version Saudia for example took. They also list a variant called "growth". All Air Canada 333s are 330-343 so can't be EIS versions, but should count as "growth" version. All variants come with various weight configurations, the "growth" variation reaching to 233 tons, the Enhanced to 238t.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... sue_57.pdf

Searching a bit through google, "Enhanced" is mostly mentioned in combination with SAS and Delta's 242t versions.

And I found that article, which talks about the Enhanced version with a higher DSG, but does not link improvements like the LED screens in the cockpit to the Enhanced version.
https://www.aviationbusinessnews.com/mr ... intenance/


Thanks for the information! What I meant was the moving map display on the ND. The A330 “enhanced” have the A350/380 moving map and BTV systems. But you’re probably right, the future AC birds from SQ have higher MTOW, but are not the true A330-343Es like SAS’s new builds.

KrisYYZ
 
trees
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:24 am

krisyyz wrote:
MaxiAir wrote:
krisyyz wrote:

C-GOFW is listed as a A330E, not a X version. Will this be the first A330 enhanced for AC? I think the A330Es have the higher MTW and the moving map display.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Air ... d-a330.htm

KrisYYZ


First, the "moving map", you mean on the IFE systems? Thats purely depending on the installed system and the retrofitted original AC 333s have them, as every other aircraft fitted with a capable IFE system.

I wouldn't give too much on what airfleets writes generally. They've been wrong often.

Planespotters lists them without X or E.
https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... 30&sort=cn

The official type certificate data sheet also knows no X or E designation. An "enhanced" version is mentioned however. I'm very familiar with the cabin being classic or enhanced. In reference to the cabin, all ex SQ frames would be "enhanced", while the original Air Canada 330s would be considered "classic".
In the TCDS they list the 242t variant seperately, as they do with the "regional" version Saudia for example took. They also list a variant called "growth". All Air Canada 333s are 330-343 so can't be EIS versions, but should count as "growth" version. All variants come with various weight configurations, the "growth" variation reaching to 233 tons, the Enhanced to 238t.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... sue_57.pdf

Searching a bit through google, "Enhanced" is mostly mentioned in combination with SAS and Delta's 242t versions.

And I found that article, which talks about the Enhanced version with a higher DSG, but does not link improvements like the LED screens in the cockpit to the Enhanced version.
https://www.aviationbusinessnews.com/mr ... intenance/


Thanks for the information! What I meant was the moving map display on the ND. The A330 “enhanced” have the A350/380 moving map and BTV systems. But you’re probably right, the future AC birds from SQ have higher MTOW, but are not the true A330-343Es like SAS’s new builds.

KrisYYZ


Those are all customer options so it would depend entirely on what SQ had installed. On the A350 and A380 BTV is part of the Runway Overrun Prevention System (ROPS). On the A330 it would be a software change. There is no distinction between X or E in any official documentation, but there are multiple weight variations customers can choose from depending on the missions required. By “true A330-343Es like SAS’s” I’m assuming you mean the 242t variant which was only available from MSN 1627 and above.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:59 am

MaxiAir wrote:
krisyyz wrote:

C-GOFW is listed as a A330E, not a X version. Will this be the first A330 enhanced for AC? I think the A330Es have the higher MTW and the moving map display.

https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Air ... d-a330.htm

KrisYYZ


First, the "moving map", you mean on the IFE systems? Thats purely depending on the installed system and the retrofitted original AC 333s have them, as every other aircraft fitted with a capable IFE system.

I wouldn't give too much on what airfleets writes generally. They've been wrong often.

Planespotters lists them without X or E.
https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... 30&sort=cn

The official type certificate data sheet also knows no X or E designation. An "enhanced" version is mentioned however. I'm very familiar with the cabin being classic or enhanced. In reference to the cabin, all ex SQ frames would be "enhanced", while the original Air Canada 330s would be considered "classic".
In the TCDS they list the 242t variant seperately, as they do with the "regional" version Saudia for example took. They also list a variant called "growth". All Air Canada 333s are 330-343 so can't be EIS versions, but should count as "growth" version. All variants come with various weight configurations, the "growth" variation reaching to 233 tons, the Enhanced to 238t.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/defaul ... sue_57.pdf

Searching a bit through google, "Enhanced" is mostly mentioned in combination with SAS and Delta's 242t versions.

And I found that article, which talks about the Enhanced version with a higher DSG, but does not link improvements like the LED screens in the cockpit to the Enhanced version.
https://www.aviationbusinessnews.com/mr ... intenance/


I remember we already encountered such understanding "issue" 15-20 years ago with the A340-300, -300X & -300E. Which one was what.

On airlinerlist.com, the former SQ A330 are listed as -343E.
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:01 pm

krisyyz wrote:

Thanks for the information! What I meant was the moving map display on the ND. The A330 “enhanced” have the A350/380 moving map and BTV systems. But you’re probably right, the future AC birds from SQ have higher MTOW, but are not the true A330-343Es like SAS’s new builds.

KrisYYZ


Do you mean that the ND can display ground charts and the aircraft moving on them? Because the ND shows how you move along the programmed route and surrounding airports and such, even on the first 330s/340s built?!
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:57 am

First cabin video of C-GEGP. Guess thats the best aircraft in the Air Canada fleet for now. Enhanced interior and all new products throughout the whole cabin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phtGLHpUi3s
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:07 am

With C-GEGP number 2 is due to enter service tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEStTXOjDdN/?igshid=f0xha268qfws
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:16 am

Update:

New Config (32C/24W/241Y)
934 C-GFUR MSN 344 - active
942 C-GEGP MSN 1015 - active

In Refurbishment
944 C-GKUG MSN 1149 - transferred from SIN to QPG for refurb on 2nd March
947 C-GOFW MSN 1485 (no listed flights, probably in Singapore, possibly already at QPG)

Old Config (27C/21W/244Y)
931 C-GFAF MSN 277 - parked at YUL since 01JUL
932 C-GFAH MSN 279 - active
933 C-GFAJ MSN 284 - parked at YUL since 11AUG
935 C-GHKR MSN 400 - stored in YMX since 03JUN
936 C-GHKW MSN 408 - in YUL since 17 July
937 C-GHKX MSN 412 - active
938 C-GHLM MSN 419 - active

ex Singapore Config (30CW255Y)
939 C-GEFA MSN 997 - active, cargo ops
940 C-GEGC MSN 1006 - active cargo ops
941 C-GEGI MSN 1012 - active cargo ops
943 ?
945 C-GKUH MSN 1156 (stored in Marana)
946 ?


Possible SQ frames more or less available for the last 2 "missing" frames

9V-STC MSN 986 stored
9V-STW MSN 1447 stored after being wfu Jul2019
9V-SSC MSN 1544 stored (6 year lease ends theoretically around JUL2020)
9V-SSD MSN 1562 stored (6 year lease ends theoretically around SEP2020)
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)
 
andrew1996
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:18 pm

Does AC prefer the 333 over the 788 for at least shorter tatl or transcons route because of its lower cost to purchase? It’s interrsting that AC chose to use 333 for cargo flying too when a 77w carries more cargo or even a 77L
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 3015
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:16 am

andrew1996 wrote:
Does AC prefer the 333 over the 788 for at least shorter tatl or transcons route because of its lower cost to purchase? It’s interrsting that AC chose to use 333 for cargo flying too when a 77w carries more cargo or even a 77L


The 77W can carry more cargo, but it also burns more fuel. So it all depends on what the cargo is. PPE isn't very heavy, so the added weight capability of the 77W might not be needed for that type of cargo.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10878
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:49 am

andrew1996 wrote:
Does AC prefer the 333 over the 788 for at least shorter tatl or transcons route because of its lower cost to purchase? It’s interrsting that AC chose to use 333 for cargo flying too when a 77w carries more cargo or even a 77L

1) AC has converted a few 77Ws for cargo flying too.

2) Note which A330s they are using for cargo...they are all exSQ frames still in the SQ configuration. Air Canada was going to be ripping out those seats anyways to convert the plane to the new AC layout. All they have done is taken the seats out earlier and begun using the plane for cargo before eventually converting them to the new layout. Iirc there are no plans for changing the 788 configuration at this time, so it makes less sense to rip the seats out of them just to reinstall them at a later date.

3) the A333 is larger than the 788. With weight not really being a problem they can put more cargo on the A330, and the reasons listed in 2) explain why 789s are not used.

Purchase costs have nothing to do with it- AC is not buying up planes for these ops. They have already paid for the 787s and these A330s.
 
EdmFlyBoi
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:58 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:21 pm

MaxiAir wrote:
Update:

New Config (32C/24W/241Y)
934 C-GFUR MSN 344 - active
942 C-GEGP MSN 1015 - active

In Refurbishment
944 C-GKUG MSN 1149 - transferred from SIN to QPG for refurb on 2nd March
947 C-GOFW MSN 1485 (no listed flights, probably in Singapore, possibly already at QPG)

Old Config (27C/21W/244Y)
931 C-GFAF MSN 277 - parked at YUL since 01JUL
932 C-GFAH MSN 279 - active
933 C-GFAJ MSN 284 - parked at YUL since 11AUG
935 C-GHKR MSN 400 - stored in YMX since 03JUN
936 C-GHKW MSN 408 - in YUL since 17 July
937 C-GHKX MSN 412 - active
938 C-GHLM MSN 419 - active

ex Singapore Config (30CW255Y)
939 C-GEFA MSN 997 - active, cargo ops
940 C-GEGC MSN 1006 - active cargo ops
941 C-GEGI MSN 1012 - active cargo ops
943 ?
945 C-GKUH MSN 1156 (stored in Marana)
946 ?


Possible SQ frames more or less available for the last 2 "missing" frames

9V-STC MSN 986 stored
9V-STW MSN 1447 stored after being wfu Jul2019
9V-SSC MSN 1544 stored (6 year lease ends theoretically around JUL2020)
9V-SSD MSN 1562 stored (6 year lease ends theoretically around SEP2020)


931 and 937 were ferried to Rockford for either maintenance or possible refurbishment? AAR, located in Rockford, does do both. There are now only 4 frames in active non-cargo service, pretty much dedicated to YUL-YVR/LHR with some occasional other routes thrown in.
 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:32 pm

MaxiAir wrote:
First cabin video of C-GEGP. Guess thats the best aircraft in the Air Canada fleet for now. Enhanced interior and all new products throughout the whole cabin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phtGLHpUi3s


The new interior works so well with the Airbus Enhanced bins, ceiling and sidewalls vs the legacy ones. Wish AC had added Airbus Enhanced interiors to the upgrades of the other 330s, those old bins and sidewalls look ancient.
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Polot wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:
Does AC prefer the 333 over the 788 for at least shorter tatl or transcons route because of its lower cost to purchase? It’s interrsting that AC chose to use 333 for cargo flying too when a 77w carries more cargo or even a 77L

1) AC has converted a few 77Ws for cargo flying too.

2) Note which A330s they are using for cargo...they are all exSQ frames still in the SQ configuration. Air Canada was going to be ripping out those seats anyways to convert the plane to the new AC layout. All they have done is taken the seats out earlier and begun using the plane for cargo before eventually converting them to the new layout. Iirc there are no plans for changing the 788 configuration at this time, so it makes less sense to rip the seats out of them just to reinstall them at a later date.

3) the A333 is larger than the 788. With weight not really being a problem they can put more cargo on the A330, and the reasons listed in 2) explain why 789s are not used.

Purchase costs have nothing to do with it- AC is not buying up planes for these ops. They have already paid for the 787s and these A330s.


I believe there was also some sort of issue with stripping the 787 interior and converting it to cargo only. Westjet was going to convert a couple 787s as well until the issue popped up, not sure exactly what it was though.
 
andrew1996
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:08 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
Polot wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:
Does AC prefer the 333 over the 788 for at least shorter tatl or transcons route because of its lower cost to purchase? It’s interrsting that AC chose to use 333 for cargo flying too when a 77w carries more cargo or even a 77L

1) AC has converted a few 77Ws for cargo flying too.

2) Note which A330s they are using for cargo...they are all exSQ frames still in the SQ configuration. Air Canada was going to be ripping out those seats anyways to convert the plane to the new AC layout. All they have done is taken the seats out earlier and begun using the plane for cargo before eventually converting them to the new layout. Iirc there are no plans for changing the 788 configuration at this time, so it makes less sense to rip the seats out of them just to reinstall them at a later date.

3) the A333 is larger than the 788. With weight not really being a problem they can put more cargo on the A330, and the reasons listed in 2) explain why 789s are not used.

Purchase costs have nothing to do with it- AC is not buying up planes for these ops. They have already paid for the 787s and these A330s.


I believe there was also some sort of issue with stripping the 787 interior and converting it to cargo only. Westjet was going to convert a couple 787s as well until the issue popped up, not sure exactly what it was though.

I see. I don’t think any airlines have removed seats from 787s but I think Scoot considered it. Maybe 787 have issues or airlines don’t want to do it to new planes that may renter service soon. I kind of meant my original question on comparing to 788 in the passenger context since AC is all Boeing for long haul except for like 8-12 A330s and no A350 or A339 on order and curious why they kept the A330 and getting more 330s
 
beechnut
Posts: 937
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:27 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:10 pm

andrew1996 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
Polot wrote:
I kind of meant my original question on comparing to 788 in the passenger context since AC is all Boeing for long haul except for like 8-12 A330s and no A350 or A339 on order and curious why they kept the A330 and getting more 330s


AC decided to keep the A330s, and add more as "swing capacity". They work very well and are economical especially on transatlantic routes, they are reliable, they have a pool of pilots for them, maintenance knows how to maintain them, and they are relatively cheap to acquire on the used market. Their original intent was to replace them all with 787s, but that required a large capital outlay and in the end, I think it was cheaper to keep the original 8 A330s and use them where they shine, transcon and transatlantic. AC have also not taken up 787 options; their 787 fleet size is comparable to the 767 fleet size at its peak, but with higher capacity.

The new A330 acquisitions are part of the "swing capacity" idea, aircraft that can be cheaply acquired on the used market, and easily shed if there's a downturn. They're like buying a good used Corolla: cheaper to acquire than the latest SUV do the job very well, dead-bolts reliable, and easy to sell with good retained value if you decide to spring for something fancier when finances improve or your finances need you to get rid of your car quickly. I believe the fleet will be up to 15.

They happen to be my favourite AC wide body, from a pax comfort viewpoint, along with the 767 but those are now gone.

Beech
 
codyul
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:50 pm

^^Dang that was well said Beech^^
YUL PNC :weightlifter:
 
EdmFlyBoi
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:58 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:15 am

beechnut wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:


AC decided to keep the A330s, and add more as "swing capacity". They work very well and are economical especially on transatlantic routes, they are reliable, they have a pool of pilots for them, maintenance knows how to maintain them, and they are relatively cheap to acquire on the used market. Their original intent was to replace them all with 787s, but that required a large capital outlay and in the end, I think it was cheaper to keep the original 8 A330s and use them where they shine, transcon and transatlantic. AC have also not taken up 787 options; their 787 fleet size is comparable to the 767 fleet size at its peak, but with higher capacity.

The new A330 acquisitions are part of the "swing capacity" idea, aircraft that can be cheaply acquired on the used market, and easily shed if there's a downturn. They're like buying a good used Corolla: cheaper to acquire than the latest SUV do the job very well, dead-bolts reliable, and easy to sell with good retained value if you decide to spring for something fancier when finances improve or your finances need you to get rid of your car quickly. I believe the fleet will be up to 15.

They happen to be my favourite AC wide body, from a pax comfort viewpoint, along with the 767 but those are now gone.

Beech


There were supposed to be up to 17 - see page 39 of the fourth quarter report from 2019:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... MDA_q4.pdf

The fleet plan kind of went off the rails with COVID, with AC no longer indicating where the fleet would past the quarter being reported on (the most recent being out to June 30, 2020). They may have not gone ahead with the further 2 aircraft (which were likely ex-SG birds). Wikipedia and Planespotters both indicate there is 1 to come.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:44 am

FR24 has C-GFAF/931 last noted flying Jul 1st YUL-RFD. What's it doing in Chicago? Cabin refit?
 
yyztpa2
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:19 pm

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
beechnut wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:


AC decided to keep the A330s, and add more as "swing capacity". They work very well and are economical especially on transatlantic routes, they are reliable, they have a pool of pilots for them, maintenance knows how to maintain them, and they are relatively cheap to acquire on the used market. Their original intent was to replace them all with 787s, but that required a large capital outlay and in the end, I think it was cheaper to keep the original 8 A330s and use them where they shine, transcon and transatlantic. AC have also not taken up 787 options; their 787 fleet size is comparable to the 767 fleet size at its peak, but with higher capacity.

The new A330 acquisitions are part of the "swing capacity" idea, aircraft that can be cheaply acquired on the used market, and easily shed if there's a downturn. They're like buying a good used Corolla: cheaper to acquire than the latest SUV do the job very well, dead-bolts reliable, and easy to sell with good retained value if you decide to spring for something fancier when finances improve or your finances need you to get rid of your car quickly. I believe the fleet will be up to 15.

They happen to be my favourite AC wide body, from a pax comfort viewpoint, along with the 767 but those are now gone.

Beech


There were supposed to be up to 17 - see page 39 of the fourth quarter report from 2019:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... MDA_q4.pdf

The fleet plan kind of went off the rails with COVID, with AC no longer indicating where the fleet would past the quarter being reported on (the most recent being out to June 30, 2020). They may have not gone ahead with the further 2 aircraft (which were likely ex-SG birds). Wikipedia and Planespotters both indicate there is 1 to come.


****I suggest ignoring this schedule. There are way too many unrealistic flights planned to make this a serious publication.******

In the 'Our Fleet' section in the latest Air Canada pdf schedule for dates Oct 1, 2020 to Jan 3, 2021, they are highlighting 8 A330 in the fleet.
https://services.aircanada.com/portal/r ... ble-en.pdf

Reviewing for recent flights, of the original 8 the following 4 appear to be regularly flying:
C-GFAH C-GFUR C-GHKX C-GHLM
while of the ones recently picked up, these 4 are regularly flying:
C-GEGP C-GEGI C-GEGC C-GEFA

However, PDF also shows other anomalies such as E190 at 25 while not showing for BCS3
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:39 pm

yyztpa2 wrote:
EdmFlyBoi wrote:
beechnut wrote:

AC decided to keep the A330s, and add more as "swing capacity". They work very well and are economical especially on transatlantic routes, they are reliable, they have a pool of pilots for them, maintenance knows how to maintain them, and they are relatively cheap to acquire on the used market. Their original intent was to replace them all with 787s, but that required a large capital outlay and in the end, I think it was cheaper to keep the original 8 A330s and use them where they shine, transcon and transatlantic. AC have also not taken up 787 options; their 787 fleet size is comparable to the 767 fleet size at its peak, but with higher capacity.

The new A330 acquisitions are part of the "swing capacity" idea, aircraft that can be cheaply acquired on the used market, and easily shed if there's a downturn. They're like buying a good used Corolla: cheaper to acquire than the latest SUV do the job very well, dead-bolts reliable, and easy to sell with good retained value if you decide to spring for something fancier when finances improve or your finances need you to get rid of your car quickly. I believe the fleet will be up to 15.

They happen to be my favourite AC wide body, from a pax comfort viewpoint, along with the 767 but those are now gone.

Beech


There were supposed to be up to 17 - see page 39 of the fourth quarter report from 2019:

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/a ... MDA_q4.pdf

The fleet plan kind of went off the rails with COVID, with AC no longer indicating where the fleet would past the quarter being reported on (the most recent being out to June 30, 2020). They may have not gone ahead with the further 2 aircraft (which were likely ex-SG birds). Wikipedia and Planespotters both indicate there is 1 to come.


****I suggest ignoring this schedule. There are way too many unrealistic flights planned to make this a serious publication.******

In the 'Our Fleet' section in the latest Air Canada pdf schedule for dates Oct 1, 2020 to Jan 3, 2021, they are highlighting 8 A330 in the fleet.
https://services.aircanada.com/portal/r ... ble-en.pdf

Reviewing for recent flights, of the original 8 the following 4 appear to be regularly flying:
C-GFAH C-GFUR C-GHKX C-GHLM
while of the ones recently picked up, these 4 are regularly flying:
C-GEGP C-GEGI C-GEGC C-GEFA

However, PDF also shows other anomalies such as E190 at 25 while not showing for BCS3


EGI, EGC, and EFA are the cargo aircraft I believe....EGP has the new seating
 
EdmFlyBoi
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:58 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:48 pm

skipness1E wrote:
FR24 has C-GFAF/931 last noted flying Jul 1st YUL-RFD. What's it doing in Chicago? Cabin refit?


There are 3 birds in Rockford - 931, 935, and 937. Not sure if it's for maintenance or refit. Refit has historically been done in Asia (QPG specifically). They do do cabin refits in Rockford so it is quite possible that they moved the refits to North America.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:54 am



This one has been moved.

A330 -343 1156 C-GKUH Air Canada ferried 08oct20 MZJ-RFD ex 9V-STR
 
User avatar
MaxiAir
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:26 am

Update:

New Config (32C/24W/241Y)
934 C-GFUR MSN 344 - active
942 C-GEGP MSN 1015 - active

In Refurbishment
944 C-GKUG MSN 1149 - transferred from SIN to QPG for refurb on 2nd March
947 C-GOFW MSN 1485 (no listed flights, probably in Singapore, possibly already at QPG)

Chicago Rockford RFD - visits for Maintenance or refit??
931 C-GFAF MSN 277 - just returned from Chicago after close to 6 weeks, due to reenter service 10-OCT-2020 on YUL-YVR
935 C-GHKR MSN 400 - in RFD since 14-SEP-2020
937 C-GHKX MSN 412 - in RFD since 02-SEP-2020
945 C-GKUH MSN 1156 - just ferried to Chicago 08-OCT-2020

Old Config (27C/21W/244Y)
932 C-GFAH MSN 279 - active
933 C-GFAJ MSN 284 - active
936 C-GHKW MSN 408 - stored in YUL since 17-JUL-2020
938 C-GHLM MSN 419 - active

ex Singapore Config (30CW255Y)
939 C-GEFA MSN 997 - active, cargo ops
940 C-GEGC MSN 1006 - active cargo ops
941 C-GEGI MSN 1012 - active cargo ops
943 C-GHKC MSN 986 - stored
946 C-GOFV MSN 1447 - stored
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)
 
andrew1996
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Curious why AC also converted A333 for cargo flying compared to 77W when the latter holds more cargo and the A333 holds less pax and it may make sense to fly the 333 on pax routes and use the better cargo hauler on cargo flights as opposed to pax flights. Does it have to do with some ports not requiring the 77W cargo belly load notwisthanding the current cargo capacity crunch? Or is it more so because they have to remove the seats from SQ planes anyways to put in AC seats?
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: AC A330 Fleet News and Updates Discussion Thread - 2020

Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:38 am

andrew1996 wrote:
Curious why AC also converted A333 for cargo flying compared to 77W when the latter holds more cargo and the A333 holds less pax and it may make sense to fly the 333 on pax routes and use the better cargo hauler on cargo flights as opposed to pax flights. Does it have to do with some ports not requiring the 77W cargo belly load notwisthanding the current cargo capacity crunch? Or is it more so because they have to remove the seats from SQ planes anyways to put in AC seats?


The aircraft were the ex SQ and Tap and scheduled to have the new seats and interiors installed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos