As promised, here is the second installment of Which Passenger 747-400s are Still Flying in 2020?
. As with previous posts, the data for which aircraft are active is taken from planespotters.net, cross-referenced with Flightradar24 and any comments posted on this thread. I am showing those aircraft listed as active, then for those listed as stored if they have flown in the past seven days I will note the details of last flight. This means some aircraft which may be being brought back to active status won't be listed here; for example there are at least three KLM frames which will become active in the coming week but which are going to be listed here as stored; these will be included in next week's active list if they are active during the week. Full freighters (either new-builds or converted) are not under consideration here.
The following operators have halted their 747-400 passenger operations at this point in time, and may or may not resume operations in the future.
- Air India - 4 aircraft stored: VT-ESO, VT-ESP, VT-EVA, VT-EVB
- Asiana Airlines - 2 aircraft stored: HL7418, HL7418
- China Airlines - 4 aircraft stored: B-18210, B-18211, B-18212, B-18215
- Corsair - 3 aircraft stored: F-GTUI, F-HSEA, F-HSUN
- flynas (leased from Terra Avia) - 2 aircraft stored: ER-BAC, ER-BAE
- Iraqi Airways - 2 aircraft stored: YI-AQQ, YI-ASA
- KLM - 7 aircraft stored: PH-BFL, PH-BFN, PH-BFS, PH-BFT, PH-BFV, PH-BFW, PH-BFY (Combis -BFT, -BFV, -BFW will return to service this week on freight duties)
- Korean Air - 2 aircraft stored: HL7402, HL7461
- Mahan Air - 1 aircraft stored: EP-MNB
- Qantas - 5 aircraft stored: VH-OEE, VH-OEG, VH-OEH, VH-OEI, VH-OEJ (Planespotters no longer lists -OEG with Qantas, but there has been some suggestion it is still in the fleet, stored in MHV, so I'm leaving it here for now)
- Rossiya Russian Airlines - 9 aircraft stored: EI-XLC, EI-XLD, EI-XLE, EI-XLF, EI-XLG, EI-XLH, EI-XLI, EI-XLJ, EI-XLM
- Saudi Arabian Airlines (leased from Air Atlanta Icelandic) - 7 aircraft stored: TF-AAC, TF-AAD, TF-AAH, AF-AAJ, TF-AAK, TF-AAL, TF-AAM
- Thai Airways International - 8 aircraft stored: HS-TGA, HS-TGB, HS-TGG, HS-TGO, HS-TGP, HS-TGW, HS-TGX, HS-TGZ
- Virgin Atlantic Airways - 7 aircraft stored: G-VAST, G-VGAL, G-VLIP, G-VROM, G-VROS, G-VROY, G-VXLG
The following operators have aircraft in service:Air China1 aircraft active, 1 stored
B-2445 25882/1021 Boeing 747-4J6 - airborne from PEK flying northwest as CA45 - Flightradar24 is not showing a destination. The last CA45 operated to Wuhan, but this appears to be headed to Europe.Stored: B-2447Atlas Air1 aircraft active, 4 stored
N464MC 26341/902 Boeing 747-446 - last flew RIV-IAH 11/04/2020Stored: N263SG, N322SG, N465MC (last flew RIV-IAH 07/04/2020), N480MCBritish Airways1 aircraft active, 30 stored
G-BYGF 25824/1200 Boeing 747-436 - last flew LCA-LHR 09/04/2020Stored: G-BNLY, G-BYGA, G-BYGB, G-BYGC (last flew SFO-LHR 04/04/2020), G-BYGD, G-BYGE, G-BYGG, G-CIVA, G-CIVB (last flew MIA-LHR 05/04/2020), G-CIVC, G-CIVD, G-CIVE, G-CIVF (last flew SFO-LHR 05/04/2020), G-CIVH, G-CIVI (last flew DFW-LHR 05/04/2020), G-CIVJ (last flew MIA-LHR 05/04/2020), G-CIVK, G-CIVL, G-CIVN, G-CIVO, G-CIVP, G-CIVR, G-CIVS, G-CIVT, G-CIVU, G-CIVV, G-CIVW, G-CIVX, G-CIVY (last flew DFW-LHR 04/04/2020), G-CIVZLufthansa5 aircraft active, 8 stored
D-ABTL 29872/1299 Boeing 747-430 - last flew CHC-BKK-FRA 09/04/2020
D-ABVM 29101/1143 Boeing 747-430 - last flew CHC-BKK-FRA 10/04/2020
D-ABVP 28284/1103 Boeing 747-430 - airborne CHC-BKK (and then on to FRA) at time of writing
D-ABVR 28285/1106 Boeing 747-430 - last flew CHC-BKK-FRA 11/04/2020
D-ABVX 29868/1237 Boeing 747-430 - last flew CHC-BKK-FRA 08/04/2020Stored: D-ABTK, D-ABVO, D-ABVS, D-ABVT, D-ABVU, D-ABVW, D-ABVY, D-ABVZMax Air2 aircraft active, 2 stored
5N-ADM 30023/1245 Boeing 747-422 - last flew more than 7 days ago, may be stored
5N-DBK 26403/1095 Boeing 747-4B5 - last flew more than 7 days ago, may be storedStored: 5N-HMB, 5N-HMMWamos Air4 aircraft active, 1 stored
EC-KXN 25703/1025 Boeing 747-4H6 - last flew MNL-MAD 10/04/2020
EC-MDS 26910/1180 Boeing 747-419 - airborne BGI-MAD at time of writing
EC-MQK 28427/1147 Boeing 747-4H6 - last flew DPS-MAD 10/04/2020
EC-MRM 28435/1152 Boeing 747-4H6 - airborne from MAD flying northeast as EB401 - Flightradar24 not showing a destination.Stored: EC-KSM
So there we go for passenger 747-400s at the end of this week: 6 airlines operating 14 aircraft with another 46 stored (but 1 of those airlines with 2 active and 2 stored aircraft does appear in fact to have all 4 stored), with 14 more airlines with 63 aircraft all stored (but 1 of those is planning to bring 3 back for freight use).
Of interest to watch over the coming week:
- The return of KLM's Combis
- Whether BA's and Lufthansa's active aircraft will find more use on repatriation flights or all move into storage like their sisters.
- Whether Wamos Air will continue with the repatriation flights they are doing
Finally I want to close with this great photograph I found while pulling together this post. It isn't the most recently dated airborne photo in the database so I haven't made use of it above, but it shows the 747-400 off in all its glory. Enjoy: