Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cosyr

Re: Upstate New York Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:34 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
It will be very interesting to see over the next couple of weeks how ROC, SYR and BUF will be affected with the planned network reductions. There is no reason to not believe that all 3 airports are facing a significant uphill battle in 2020.

There is no question that every airport will be impacted, but Upstate is not MCO, LAS or Europe. When business gets back to normal, non touristy destinations will get back to normal faster than the touristy ones.

DCA-ROCguy

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:35 am

ROCDLFAN wrote:
It will be very interesting to see over the next couple of weeks how ROC, SYR and BUF will be affected with the planned network reductions. There is no reason to not believe that all 3 airports are facing a significant uphill battle in 2020.

Among the impacts the Coronavirus is having, one that I have thought of is, this exactly what the airline industry in general, airports, and ROC in particular, do NOT need!

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Buffalomatt1027

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:03 pm

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:

Among the impacts the Coronavirus is having, one that I have thought of is, this exactly what the airline industry in general, airports, and ROC in particular, do NOT need!

Jim

Yeah, I think BUF / the NFTA have been trying for a few years to show current / foreign airlines " hey look we can handle direct flights x,y, z " BUF did top the 5 million mark again because of F9. Since the Corona virus, i HIGHLY doubt any airline once everything becomes "normal" again will be thinking about expanding.

SYRAVGEEK

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:52 pm

Viva Aerobus just chartered two A320s from MTY and GDL to SYR, I wonder why.
Syracuse would have gotten 3M pax if COVID hadn’t happened...

SyracuseAvGeek

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:32 pm

SYRAVGEEK wrote:

I asked SYR airports official Instagram, they said “most likely charters, but otherwise we are not at liberty to discuss specific plans of our clients” . Hopefully it will happen again next Saturday so I can see it.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

WeatherPilot

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:46 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

I asked SYR airports official Instagram, they said “most likely charters, but otherwise we are not at liberty to discuss specific plans of our clients” . Hopefully it will happen again next Saturday so I can see it.

Probably ICE flights to either bring in more refugees or to pick up refugees to send back.

SYRAVGEEK

Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:26 pm

WeatherPilot wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

I asked SYR airports official Instagram, they said “most likely charters, but otherwise, we are not at liberty to discuss specific plans of our clients” . Hopefully it will happen again next Saturday so I can see it.

Probably ICE flights to either bring in more refugees or to pick up refugees to send back.

I always thought ICE used World Atlantic and swiftair

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:24 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
WeatherPilot wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I asked SYR airports official Instagram, they said “most likely charters, but otherwise, we are not at liberty to discuss specific plans of our clients” . Hopefully it will happen again next Saturday so I can see it.

I always thought ICE used World Atlantic and swiftair

Your right, the government would never use a commercial airline for ICE flights, especially a Mexican based airline

SYRAVGEEK

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:04 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
DCA-ROCguy wrote:
ROCDLFAN wrote:

Jim

Yeah, I think BUF / the NFTA have been trying for a few years to show current / foreign airlines " hey look we can handle direct flights x,y, z " BUF did top the 5 million mark again because of F9. Since the Coronavirus, i HIGHLY doubt any airline once everything becomes "normal" again will be thinking about expanding.

SYR was about to hit 3 million and likely get a new airline or route, thanks to the coronavirus this will either not happen until next year or we will LOSE pax :weeping:

Buffalomatt1027

Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:46 pm

b6 had 4 planes parked at BUF. Any other NY airports have b6 or any other airlines using their airport as a parking ramp.

bellcc

Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:15 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
b6 had 4 planes parked at BUF. Any other NY airports have b6 or any other airlines using their airport as a parking ramp.

Albany has almost 30 Commutair Embraer ERJ-145s parked up on one of their ramps for temporary storage.

cosyr

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:58 pm

bellcc wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Albany has almost 30 Commutair Embraer ERJ-145s parked up on one of their ramps for temporary storage.

Does Commutair still have larger operations at Albany? I know at one time they had something of a base at Albany, and maybe maintenance, although I know they moved a lot of that to CLE.

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:18 am

cosyr wrote:
bellcc wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Does Commutair still have larger operations at Albany? I know at one time they had something of a base at Albany, and maybe maintenance, although I know they moved a lot of that to CLE.

C5 still uses ALB as a mantinence base.

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:39 am

Judging by the amount of route cuts and load factors, I would think that several routes will be cut and not come back when this pandemic is over (SYR-BOS in particular) but I’ve heard other airports have Had less than profitable routes that still operated (before the pandemic).

aeroc

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Wonder if any airlines will bring the old "tag-on" routes back to the upstate airports? The most recent one I can remember was Colgan running BUF-ROC-BDL and back around the 2005 time period. Before that I remember Delta running ATL-SYR-ROC and the other way on the return. I beleive UA also ran ORD-BUF-ROC for a little while too. I'm sure there are several more the further back in time you look especially with airlines like Allegheny/Empire/Mohawk etc....

I believe there is regulation stating that airlines must keep the same service they had prior to the pandemic to qualify to receive the bailout funds so that's why almost all routes are down to 1x daily if not less than that. Would adding "tag-on's" help to lower cost and still maintain the required service? I believe AS has started doing this out west on several routes.

SYRAVGEEK

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:20 pm

aeroc wrote:
Wonder if any airlines will bring the old "tag-on" routes back to the upstate airports? The most recent one I can remember was Colgan running BUF-ROC-BDL and back around the 2005 time period. Before that I remember Delta running ATL-SYR-ROC and the other way on the return. I beleive UA also ran ORD-BUF-ROC for a little while too. I'm sure there are several more the further back in time you look especially with airlines like Allegheny/Empire/Mohawk etc....

I believe there is regulation stating that airlines must keep the same service they had prior to the pandemic to qualify to receive the bailout funds so that's why almost all routes are down to 1x daily if not less than that. Would adding "tag-on's" help to lower cost and still maintain the required service? I believe AS has started doing this out west on several routes.

I think “tag ons” would be the best bet for airlines to still get DOT funding, however I haven’t read any piece of legislation that says otherwise or like wise

cosyr

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:23 pm

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
aeroc wrote:

I think “tag ons” would be the best bet for airlines to still get DOT funding, however I haven’t read any piece of legislation that says otherwise or like wise

Alaska is already doing it: https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska-ai ... g-flights/

Denials from the DOT to suspend service, in order to get aid, will lead to more airlines doing this, to maintain the necessary presence, without needing extra fuel, crews, and aircraft.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:08 am

Yeah its really smart for AS. The only problem will be the logistical nightmare of rescheduling everything after! Airlines are really use to operating in and out of hubs tough for large airlines if people time out etc.

Desperate times call for desperate measures i guess. We could see United IAD-ALB-PBG for example come to NY. or ORD-SYR-BTV etc etc. I know thats in VT technically but on border with NY. Planes are so empty these days i guess we might have to start seeing tag on flights.

SyracuseAvGeek

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:15 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Yeah its really smart for AS. The only problem will be the logistical nightmare of rescheduling everything after! Airlines are really use to operating in and out of hubs tough for large airlines if people time out etc.

Desperate times call for desperate measures i guess. We could see United IAD-ALB-PBG for example come to NY. or ORD-SYR-BTV etc etc. I know thats in VT technically but on border with NY. Planes are so empty these days i guess we might have to start seeing tag on flights.

SYR-BTV would be interesting to see, but ALB-PBG will NEVER happen. PBG as well as other smaller NY cities on OGS, SLK, ART, and MSS and EAS (essential air service) routes they can cancel or change those without penalties as those flights have already been funded and payed for by the government.

cosyr

Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:49 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

SYR-BTV would be interesting to see,

Fedex already flies that. :bouncy:

aeroc

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:23 am

The latest OAG was pretty depressing...
DL BUF/ROC/SYR/ALB-ATL all down to .5/week
DL ROC/SYR-JFK down to .5/week
WN ROC-MCO/TPA down to .1/week
WN ROC-BWI down to 2x daily

Those are what I could remember off the top of my head. I'm sure there's some more misery I'm forgetting. Reading that list makes me want to throw up each week!

Interesting video of KVCV. Great flyover of one of the runways used for storage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIbXai0l174

MO11

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 am

aeroc wrote:
The latest OAG was pretty depressing...
DL BUF/ROC/SYR/ALB-ATL all down to .5/week
DL ROC/SYR-JFK down to .5/week
WN ROC-MCO/TPA down to .1/week
WN ROC-BWI down to 2x daily

ROC/SYR/ALB-ATL suspended until at least the middle of May. BUF/ROC/SYR-JFK suspended until at east the middle of May. ROC-MCO/TPA on Southwest suspended.

aeroc

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:12 am

This link lists the required service that airlines need to maintain to qualify for CARES during these troubling times. If you scroll down to Appendix B it list the adjusted WEEKLY frequency needed to qualify for the Scheduled Passenger Air Carrier Service (CARES) obligations thru September.

Per page 11 of the document: The Department tentatively determined that the Service Obligation imposed under this Order
would extend through September 30, 2020. So airlines that take advantage of the CARES need to maintain at least the level of service outlined in the link below until September to qualify for aid. After that who knows.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... 0FINAL.PDF

Basically I'm seeing this as.....after September airlines could terminate whatever they wish unless this is extended which will probably be a crap ton of routes!

Looking at KROC because that's my home airport AA can go from 128 to 5 weekly departures and still qualify for this program. Basically a 96% reduction in flights.

SYRAVGEEK

Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:49 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

I think a tag-on we could sea in the near future is SYR-BUF-ORD on AA or UA (or both), ORD-SYR-BTV would be interesting to see mainly because I haven't seen a Upstate-BTV [pax] route since Commutair operated Beech 1900s.

PVD523

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:33 am

G4 appears to be trying out PGD-SYR-PVD-PGD. This routing was flown yesterday and last Thursday.

SyracuseAvGeek

Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:36 pm

Frontier will be beginning MCO-ALB-SYR-MCO beginning the beginning of May.

Spirit is also doing IAG-PBG

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:29 am

Looks like United has began some tag flying, I imagine they will start this in upstate New York in the near future.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2020/04/27/uni ... g-flights/

cosyr

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:11 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
Looks like United has began some tag flying, I imagine they will start this in upstate New York in the near future.

They may expand that, but those are some really small markets. Does anyone know what the outcome of UA's request to suspend ITH?

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:05 pm

cosyr wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

They may expand that, but those are some really small markets. Does anyone know what the outcome of UA's request to suspend ITH?

They were denied the request. The only cities that they granted were in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Saipan (near Guam).

I imagine they will connect ITH with another smaller city... maybe Syracuse or Scranton?

SYRAVGEEK

Wed May 06, 2020 12:21 am

Does anyone know if Freight Runners is taking over the SYR-PBG flight

SYRAVGEEK

Wed May 20, 2020 10:27 pm

Amazon Prime will be occupying a large warehouse in Clay, NY (near Syracuse) does this mean SYR will receive Prime Air service in the coming months, this is supposed to be one of the largest warehouses in Amazon's network.

cosyr

Thu May 21, 2020 1:30 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
Amazon Prime will be occupying a large warehouse in Clay, NY (near Syracuse) does this mean SYR will receive Prime Air service in the coming months, this is supposed to be one of the largest warehouses in Amazon's network.

I think that is a safe bet, and should really help SYR balance the ups and downs of different pax service. Living near Utica, I'm also excited how this should likely keep Amazon shipping times down for more items.

SYRAVGEEK

Wed May 27, 2020 5:38 pm

cosyr wrote:
SYRAVGEEK wrote:

I think that is a safe bet, and should really help SYR balance the ups and downs of different pax service. Living near Utica, I'm also excited how this should likely keep Amazon shipping times down for more items.

Not to mention the increase in business demand...

Buffalomatt1027

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:02 pm

BUF / F9 is bringing back the MIA - BUF flights!

I guess that is a POSITIVE from this whole Corona Virus situation.

December 17th seasonal - Monday Thursday Sundays.

F9 better hope the boarders are opened by then!

jplatts

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:51 pm

AA adding nonstop service to DFW from ALB, ROC, and SYR might be possibilities once demand for domestic air travel out of Upstate New York airports recovers since
(a) ALB, ROC, and SYR are three of the top destinations without nonstop service to DFW or DAL,
(b) DFW-ALB/ROC/SYR are all within the range of E-175 regional jets,
(c) AA still operates E-175 regional jets on its MIA-MSP route, which is longer than DFW-ALB, DFW-ROC, or DFW-SYR,
(d) AA can likely fill E-175 regional jets on DFW-ALB/ROC/SYR nonstop routes once demand returns to normal levels with the amount of O&D that is there to DFW from ALB, ROC, and SYR and the connections that are available at DFW on AA,
(e) AA has nonstop service out of DFW to some destinations that AA doesn't serve nonstop from any of its East Coast hubs,
(f) AA had plans to further expand its DFW hub prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and
(g) ALB, ROC, and SYR are located in three of the largest markets in the U.S. that do not currently have any nonstop service to DFW or DAL.

WingsFan

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

That's right . Isn't border opening for general traffic an important consideration any route out of BUF/ IAG?

Similarly, lack of tourists to Niagara Falls will also affect BUF traffic significantly this summer.

jplatts

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:07 pm

WingsFan wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

That's right . Isn't border opening for general traffic an important consideration any route out of BUF/ IAG?

DL adding BUF-SLC nonstop service might be a possibility with there being a significant amount of passengers connecting to domestic destinations west of SLC from BUF (at least prior to the COVID-19 pandemic), and DL can probably make BUF-SLC nonstop service work without cross-border traffic due to the connections that are available at SLC on DL. DL is also able to operate BUF-SLC nonstop service using A220-100 planes which have fewer seats than the A319 or 737-700.

WN adding BUF-ATL nonstop service might be a possibility with WN having recently re-adding a few other former WN/FL routes out of ATL such as ATL-SDF/MEM/OKC and with FL having served ATL nonstop from BUF prior to the WN-FL merger.

UA adding nonstop service to its DEN, IAH, and SFO hubs from BUF might also be possibilities with BUF-DEN/IAH/SFO being three of the top routes that UA doesn't currently serve nonstop from BUF and with UA having added nonstop service to DEN from some other East Coast cities last year.

Trk1

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Airlines will be cutting back not adding these pipe dream destinations. I think we are out of touch with reality

deltairlines

Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:16 pm

jplatts wrote:
WingsFan wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

DL adding BUF-SLC nonstop service might be a possibility with there being a significant amount of passengers connecting to domestic destinations west of SLC from BUF (at least prior to the COVID-19 pandemic), and DL can probably make BUF-SLC nonstop service work without cross-border traffic due to the connections that are available at SLC on DL. DL is also able to operate BUF-SLC nonstop service using A220-100 planes which have fewer seats than the A319 or 737-700.

WN adding BUF-ATL nonstop service might be a possibility with WN having recently re-adding a few other former WN/FL routes out of ATL such as ATL-SDF/MEM/OKC and with FL having served ATL nonstop from BUF prior to the WN-FL merger.

UA adding nonstop service to its DEN, IAH, and SFO hubs from BUF might also be possibilities with BUF-DEN/IAH/SFO being three of the top routes that UA doesn't currently serve nonstop from BUF and with UA having added nonstop service to DEN from some other East Coast cities last year.

BUF-SLC is a pipe dream. That would overfly two hubs, one of which has pretty good service to the West Coast (MSP) and the other has decent service (DTW). Between those two hubs and ATL, that covers most major markets with a single connect. The only places that wouldn't really get you is some secondary/tertiary west coast markets, such as FAT, MFR, EUG, etc.

BUF-ATL on WN is a possibility. It wouldn't surprise me.

BUF-DEN has the same issue that SLC has. A lot of those larger places can easily be reached over ORD.

As airlines rebuild their networks, a lot of hub-overflights that you've seen added in the past few years will be the last flights to return, and double-connects between secondary cities on the coasts will be a lot more common. You're already starting to see this at DL - ATL-SLC has become their busiest market with 11x flights, mostly on a mix of 757s and 767s.

Buffalomatt1027

Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 am

jplatts wrote:
WingsFan wrote:
Buffalomatt1027 wrote:

Pre corona virus ..... I would agree with what you said. Post corona virus ...... I am REALLY not sure what airlines are going to do. If they were smart, they would reconfigure routes and see where growth could be found.

ROCDLFAN

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Flying in on the first ATL-ROC flight since early April, and it is nice to see that this 737-900 after clearing NonRev’s is filled to the 60% capacity.

ATL returned for ALB last night and ROC and SYR this evening.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

aeroc

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Anyone in the ROC area have any pictures or video of the Kalitta 727 that's been flying CVG-ROC-BDL and return for DHL? Its usually a 737-400 but since late June its been more 727 than 737. I'm not in town otherwise I would go get some video of it since who knows how much longer the 727 will be flying here or anywhere for that matter.

SYRAVGEEK

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:47 am

I believe UA has cut DEN-SYR, we were the first upstate airport to get UA service to DEN. I wonder if they’ll transfer the service to BUF or ALB?

SyracuseAvGeek

Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:58 am

SYRAVGEEK wrote:
I believe UA has cut DEN-SYR, we were the first upstate airport to get UA service to DEN. I wonder if they’ll transfer the service to BUF or ALB?

I don’t think they’ll transfer it to BUF or ALB... both airports have nonstop to DEN on Southwest which SYR doesn’t have. I have a feeling it will come back eventually.

cosyr

Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:33 pm

SYRAVGEEK wrote:

You can still buy tickets in December. I know that UA is only adjusting schedules up to 6 weeks out right now, but when they're determining whether to cut it permanently, it is long term reservations that they will use as a judge. I'm not saying it is unlikely that it will get cut, but F9 continues to fly the route, so I think they will either keep it long term or try it again as travel rebounds.

dekema2

Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:39 pm

Trk1 wrote:
Airlines will be cutting back not adding these pipe dream destinations. I think we are out of touch with reality

How are domestic routes from an upper-medium size city pipe dreams?

rocANDtpa

Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:31 am

Looks like Southwest will be bringing back Florida flight to ROC this winter and even expanding to some degree.

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/lif ... arly-2021/

Orlando (MCO) Non-Stop

January – Daily
February – Daily
March – Daily
April – Daily (through 4/11)

Ft. Myers (RSW) Non-Stop

January – Sat. Only
February – Daily
March – Sat. Only
April – Sat. Only (through 4/11)

Tampa (TPA) Non-Stop

January – Daily
February – Daily
March – Sat. & Sun. Only
April – Sat. & Sun. Only (through 4/11)

Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) Non-Stop

February – Sat. Only
March – Sat. Only
April – Sat. Only (through 4/11)

These additional flights represent 18 more non-stop options to Florida markets than during the same time period in 2020.

bellcc

Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:20 pm

American is starting flights between Rochester and Miami 1x Weekly on the Embraer 175 for $1,087 one way. Seems a little pricey. Wouldn't Buffalo or Syracuse be a better option?

Buffalomatt1027

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm

bellcc wrote:
American is starting flights between Rochester and Miami 1x Weekly on the Embraer 175 for $1,087 one way. Seems a little pricey. Wouldn't Buffalo or Syracuse be a better option?

No wonders they didnt go to BUF / BNIA ...... Frontier would 100% have way better pricing than that money grab in Rochester. GOOD grief. What a scam.

usflyer msp

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:41 pm

Buffalomatt1027 wrote:
bellcc wrote:

No wonders they didnt go to BUF / BNIA ...... Frontier would 100% have way better pricing than that money grab in Rochester. GOOD grief. What a scam.

AA's ROC-MIA nonstop starts at $95 ow. You cannot pay attention to the fares the first few days after a new route is loaded as the airline usually has not opened up all the inventory.