mkorpal333

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:59 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
https://twitter.com/united/status/1225821637012021248

The rendering of the outdoor patio in the terminal is interesting.

Fantastic use of FS98.

BNAMealer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:29 am

intotheair wrote:
I still can't imagine that would be the case. DIA also has to sort out DL's space because they will be losing all of their gates to UA. It's not like the airport is going to approve expansions for UA and WN but then leave F9 and DL shorthanded. There must be another solution coming.

DEN1895 wrote:
It is not really about F9 or DL expansion, UA is taking 11 gates from F9 and DL on A, 5 from F9 and 6 from DL. After UA moves out of the A East ground load facility that will give F9 the same number of gates but DL is still without a home. Without reducing the number of gates from everyone on A concourse I don't see a way that everyone currently on A can stay.

The simple solution is AA/DL move to the east side of A and F9 uses the temporary ground boarding gates on A. I think there's enough room to make it work until more gates are built, which will be needed. It'll be tight, but WN needs the gates.

lessredtape

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:37 am

are there any airports in Denver region that could take an A220 or Breeze e-jets, that couldn't take any bigger aircraft such as A319/B737 ?

DEN1895

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:48 am

BNAMealer wrote:

The simple solution is AA/DL move to the east side of A and F9 uses the temporary ground boarding gates on A. I think there's enough room to make it work until more gates are built, which will be needed. It'll be tight, but WN needs the gates.

Unless every airline on A agrees to reduce their gate gates considerably there would be no way for them to work it out.
F9 would go from 9>6
AA 5>4
DL 6>4

While some flights can be accommodated on the city gates, all of the Mexican flights and Jet Blue, Sun Country and Allegiant, and DL,AA, and F9 all use those gates during the day already. While UA moving off the city gates would free up some space, there is no way they could accommodate all 7 gates worth of flights( probably 50+ flights). All other airlines besides UA and WN at the airport would have to reduce their flights to accommodate the growth.

BNAMealer

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:59 am

DEN1895 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Unless every airline on A agrees to reduce their gate gates considerably there would be no way for them to work it out.
F9 would go from 9>6
AA 5>4
DL 6>4

While some flights can be accommodated on the city gates, all of the Mexican flights and Jet Blue, Sun Country and Allegiant, and DL,AA, and F9 all use those gates during the day already. While UA moving off the city gates would free up some space, there is no way they could accommodate all 7 gates worth of flights( probably 50+ flights). All other airlines besides UA and WN at the airport would have to reduce their flights to accommodate the growth.

SY and G4 operate less than daily irregular flights so that’s not an issue. But I think UA should have waited to take the 11 existing gates on A until it is built out to the east.

trexel94

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:12 am

lessredtape wrote:
are there any airports in Denver region that could take an A220 or Breeze e-jets, that couldn't take any bigger aircraft such as A319/B737 ?

Rocky Mountain Airport was mentioned in an article recently regarding possible destinations.

Centennial Airport would be best since it’s closest to the city, surrounded by upper class suburbs and tech offices but I do believe there is an ordinance against commercial flights there. Although the runways are sufficient, I don’t think either airfield is arranged to handle regular commercial flights (i.e no TSA, no baggage handling etc). I’m curious to know how much investment is needed for the aforementioned.

Both airports can handle mid-sized commercial jets.

intotheair

Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:41 am

trexel94 wrote:
lessredtape wrote:

Rocky Mountain Airport was mentioned in an article recently regarding possible destinations.

Centennial Airport would be best since it’s closest to the city, surrounded by upper class suburbs and tech offices but I do believe there is an ordinance against commercial flights there. Although the runways are sufficient, I don’t think either airfield is arranged to handle regular commercial flights (i.e no TSA, no baggage handling etc). I’m curious to know how much investment is needed for the aforementioned.

DEN is like ATL – there's not much appetite for any secondary airports. The biggest service that's ever happened was probably when G4 served FNL. Centennial is politically unviable, and Front Range Airport has no geographic advantage over DIA. Rocky Mountain might be possible, but again, it doesn't have much over DIA, and nobody has ever had much success trying anything scheduled out of there. Also, COS is never going to be a secondary airport for Denver, despite what some out of state armchair CEOs may think. DIA is still relatively easy for airlines to enter and add service (especially compared to places like LAX and SFO), and I don't think that's going to change for a long time.

With that said, I did grow up not too far away from Centennial and my parents' house is under a flight path, and I've always wanted to fly in or out of it, even if it's only in a Challenger.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

lessredtape

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 am

intotheair wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
lessredtape wrote:

DEN is like ATL – there's not much appetite for any secondary airports. The biggest service that's ever happened was probably when G4 served FNL. Centennial is politically unviable, and Front Range Airport has no geographic advantage over DIA. Rocky Mountain might be possible, but again, it doesn't have much over DIA, and nobody has ever had much success trying anything scheduled out of there. Also, COS is never going to be a secondary airport for Denver, despite what some out of state armchair CEOs may think. DIA is still relatively easy for airlines to enter and add service (especially compared to places like LAX and SFO), and I don't think that's going to change for a long time.

With that said, I did grow up not too far away from Centennial and my parents' house is under a flight path, and I've always wanted to fly in or out of it, even if it's only in a Challenger.
DIA is one crowded mess. For arrivals it takes good 1/2 hour or more, just to get from gate to rental cars. For departures, have been at DIA many times, where there seems to be a 1000 people in front of me trying to get through TSA.

Never been to Front Range airport, but a quick search on maps, seems to show same time by car from downtown Denver, so if it can handle Breeze jets, it seems like the perfect airport for Breeze. Most pax & esp. business types, want to get in & out of an airport as fast as physically possible.

When in Colorado, we always try to use EGE, as often there is no queue(line) for TSA whatsoever & no one is stressed. Could Front Range airport be like EGE ?

Don't quite understand the American idea of queuing for everything (lining up). Australians don't line up, they go elsewhere, especially if trying to hand over $$$.

jhsusman

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:00 am

United is going to have a lot of slack with their widebodies with the significant cutbacks in their Asian flying due to the coronavirus. I wonder if they would consider a seasonal experiment from DEN to CDG or AMS using some of their under-utilized widebodies. It would need to happen pretty quick as summer is coming soon. . .

rph99

Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 am

Where are last years numbers? Dying to see how close the DEN got to 70 million passengers in 2019. I’m thinking 68.5M-69.5M is what they’ll report.

DEN1895

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:46 pm

rph99 wrote:
Where are last years numbers? Dying to see how close the DEN got to 70 million passengers in 2019. I’m thinking 68.5M-69.5M is what they’ll report.

Numbers just posted, looks like just over 69 million.

Link: http://flydenver.com/about/financials/passenger_traffic

I will break down the numbers more later today.

DEN1895

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:52 pm

End of year numbers are in, final count for the year is 69,015,703 which is a 7.0% increase from last year(4.5 million more passengers). Here is a nice graphic highlighting the year the airport put together.

Increases are posted below for each major airline:

Airline ...DEC ...YTD
UA .......13.7% ...10.0%
WN ......6.8% ....0.9%
F9 .......4.2% ....13.7%
DL .......11.5% ....6.1%
AA .......13.8% ...0.9%
BA .......3.5% .....3.3%
LH .......16.0% ....9.2%
NK .......34.1% ...23.7%

-For the year the amount of connecting traffic actually shrank from 35.8% to 35.6% showing that even with all of the new flights added, most of these flights are filled with O&D traffic.
-It looks like Hawaiian operated one flight to the airport in December as they recorded 321 passengers, maybe one day they will have regular scheduled flights. :smile:

diatraveler

Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
End of year numbers are in, final count for the year is 69,015,703 which is a 7.0% increase from last year(4.5 million more passengers). Here is a nice graphic highlighting the year the airport put together.

Airline ...DEC ...YTD
UA .......13.7% ...10.0%
WN ......6.8% ....0.9%
F9 .......4.2% ....13.7%
DL .......11.5% ....6.1%
AA .......13.8% ...0.9%
BA .......3.5% .....3.3%
LH .......16.0% ....9.2%
NK .......34.1% ...23.7%

-For the year the amount of connecting traffic actually shrank from 35.8% to 35.6% showing that even with all of the new flights added, most of these flights are filled with O&D traffic.
-It looks like Hawaiian operated one flight to the airport in December as they recorded 321 passengers, maybe one day they will have regular scheduled flights. :smile:

The Hawaiian flight was the Oakland Raiders charter flight when they payed the Broncos in Denver. The O&D statistics are really interesting. A lot of United's future growth will probably increase the connecting ratio.

BNAMealer

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:10 am

DEN1895 wrote:

Airline ...DEC ...YTD
UA .......13.7% ...10.0%
WN ......6.8% ....0.9%
F9 .......4.2% ....13.7%
DL .......11.5% ....6.1%
AA .......13.8% ...0.9%
BA .......3.5% .....3.3%
LH .......16.0% ....9.2%
NK .......34.1% ...23.7%

Probably would’ve been even higher if not for the MAX grounding. That really hampered WN’s growth.

strfyr51

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:16 am

ericm2031 wrote:
I know UA is bigger in ORD, but does UA connect more passengers through DEN or ORD? I only ask because I'm wondering if their plan is to make DEN more of a connecting hub where they have the ability to add tons of flights, while using it's more limited opportunities at ORD for O&D.
ow their vision,
And is it still true that WN gets more O&D in DEN than UA? I vaguely remember that, but can't remember if those were excluding regionals or not.

with ORD coming under construction? the O&D expansion ,may be limited for the near future DEN can and very well may surpass in UAORD. DEN has ben crown Jewell in UA's route network for Many years and now their vision is being seen by most everybody. I thought they got a raw deal when Pena closed Stapleton. But closing Stapleton?
Was the Best deal for UA and Denver.

jetmatt777

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 am

Looks like Starbucks is going in in front of New Belgium between B32 and B28
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

OKCDCA

Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 am

airbazar wrote:
For what it's worth, we flew to DEN for a skiing vacation over the Xmas holiday period and on the return used the remote bag drop by the Pikes Peak parking lot. That has to be the best kept secret at DIA. It made for the best airport experience I have ever had in the U.S. DIA should upgrade that from "a shack on the side of the road" to a "real" facility and other airports should adopt a similar service. Being able to drop off our bags before dropping off the rental car and not having to schlep heavy luggage on the shuttle and skipping the long bag drop lines at the terminal was such a liberating and stress free experience. Well done DIA.

Used this “shack on the side of the road” (and it’s definitely a shack) and agree it was absolutely phenomenal.

However, I checked two bags: a regular bag and my golf clubs. I was flying DEN-LAX-SAN on AA and my regular bag made the DEN-LAX leg but my sticks ended up going DEN-PHX-SAN two hours later. I’ve gotten used to my sticks getting additional screening but they always make the flight. Does anyone know if golf clubs and sporting equipment in general using this service at DIA are open to additional screening and should require additional time? Or is this simply an AA screw up?

panam330

Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Looks like Starbucks is going in in front of New Belgium between B32 and B28

And a Snooze and Shake Shack on the B mezzanine. I can’t wait for those.

303dk

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:03 pm

What’s being built upstairs by A32?

jplatts

Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:22 pm

It was mentioned in the Rest of New England Aviation Thread that F9 has suspended DEN-PVD nonstop service indefinitely, and that post can be found at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438013&p=22021213#p22021213.

I had mentioned WN re-adding DEN-PVD nonstop service as a possibility as there is enough demand for the return of WN DEN-PVD nonstop service with the amount of O&D that is there between DEN and PVD and with the significant amount of passengers that connect to destinations west of the Rockies from PVD.

WN would probably be able to easily fill DEN-PVD nonstop flights if it re-adds DEN-PVD nonstop service due to the amount of demand that exists to Denver, Vegas, Phoenix, Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Greater Los Angeles from PVD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos