Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
xjetflyer2001
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:35 pm

I had saw a while back, maybe a month ago, an exact opening date for the B West Concourse expansion, but now I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea as to when the exact opening date is for B West?
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:00 pm

xjetflyer2001 wrote:
I had saw a while back, maybe a month ago, an exact opening date for the B West Concourse expansion, but now I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea as to when the exact opening date is for B West?

Tuesday January 26 I believe.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4598
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:07 pm

I have heard they want it ready to go by Thanksgiving. But who knows.... UA would like to get some gates back as about 10 gates are out of service for concrete replacement.
 
DEN1895
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:09 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:
I had saw a while back, maybe a month ago, an exact opening date for the B West Concourse expansion, but now I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any idea as to when the exact opening date is for B West?

Tuesday January 26 I believe.


I am not sure where you heard that, B West will be open this month. Unless anything crazy happens it will be open and in use before Thanksgiving.
 
DEN1895
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Hello everyone, time for the November construction update.

A West
A West topped out back on Oct 30th, the picture is from the airport’s twitter.
Image
The curtain wall has continued to be installed on both the north and south side of the concourse. On the south the curtain wall has passed the first sub-core.
Zoomed in south side curtain wall
Image
Full project from south side
Image
Pictures of the north side, I imagine this side will take longer due to the complexities of the customs corridors.
Zoomed in curtain wall from the north
Image
Full project from the north
Image

B GARDI
The first gates should be reopening next month, the jet bridges for the eastern most gates were recently reinstalled.
Image

B East
B East also continues with curtain wall construction with half of the north side complete, curtain wall construction is just starting on the south side. Picture from the north side.
Image

C East.
The curtain wall construction continues, to the second sub-core on both the north and south, with the first sub-core on the northside having the curtain wall started.

Full project from the south
Image
Zoomed in curtain wall from the north.
Image
Full project from the north
Image

Southwest Hangar
Not sure what is happening with this project, little to no activity has occurred in the past few months. From the picture you can see where weeds have started growing in the area that was cleared out for future pavement. This project still has about 5 months before completion.
Image

B West
While B West will have it’s own update once open but here is a picture of the gate test fitting with a UA A320.
Image
 
User avatar
Frontier14
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:55 pm

Thanks a million for your kindness to post the airport's progress

Frontier 14
 
DEN1895
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:55 pm

Image
Tomorrow (11/20) at 8am there is a ribbon cutting ceremony for the B West expansion, if you are at the airport over the next few days I encourage you to check it out as its very nice and modern. The first flights out will be on Sunday with UA. While I will post full interior pictures tomorrow, here is a quick recap of the project.

-4 gates, 6 holdrooms (waiting areas at gates) and additional support space totaling 89,247 square feet of new space
-All new gates leased to United Airlines
-5,000 sq. ft. of concessions space (not filled yet)
-New outdoor deck with views of the mountains and featuring a pet relief area, outdoor seating and fire pits for ambiance
-The existing restrooms that were at the end of B West were relocated into the new expansion are by far the nicest in the airport.

This is also the start of UA getting a lot of new/refurbished gates over the next 15-18 months.
Nov 2020- 6 Gates B West
Dec 2020- 2-3 gates returned from pavement rehab
Jan-April 2021 - Remainder of 5-6 gates returned from pavement rehab (8 total under rehab)
Q3 2021 - B East opens with 10 gates
Q4 2021 - A West Opens with 8-10 gates at first
Q1-Q2 2021 - The remainder of gates on A get converted bringing UA up to 23 total gates on A

One thing to note is that UA will be loosing some gates as well, they will move out of A East which has 11 RJ positions, and some RJ positions on B East will be closed when the new expansion opens.
 
dfwjim1
Posts: 2561
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:11 pm

I flew out of DIA yesterday and I noticed a couple of dusty and dirty 727s parked near the Southwest terminal. Are those aircraft in use or are they just being stored there?

As a side note this was the first time I have used DIA as an O and D airport and not just to transfer between flights. Needless to say I did a lot of walking!
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:21 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
I flew out of DIA yesterday and I noticed a couple of dusty and dirty 727s parked near the Southwest terminal. Are those aircraft in use or are they just being stored there?

As a side note this was the first time I have used DIA as an O and D airport and not just to transfer between flights. Needless to say I did a lot of walking!


those have been there for years, I think for some emergency response training.
 
LASVegan
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:45 pm

CALMSP wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:
I flew out of DIA yesterday and I noticed a couple of dusty and dirty 727s parked near the Southwest terminal. Are those aircraft in use or are they just being stored there?

As a side note this was the first time I have used DIA as an O and D airport and not just to transfer between flights. Needless to say I did a lot of walking!


those have been there for years, I think for some emergency response training.


The white one was an ex UA bird. The story goes that at some point in the late 90s it had an engine failure on takeoff at DIA and aborted the takeoff. Since UA was planning on retiring it within a few months anyhow, they just opted not to repair it and donated it to the Denver fire department for training.
 
mkorpal333
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:54 pm

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 9242080257

B West opens this weekend. It looks fantastic, can't wait to check it out this spring.
 
ual4life
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:10 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Lol the smell of the pet relief area will mix real well with the musk of jet fuel for the folks enjoying the “nice views.” :)
NNVII
 
mkorpal333
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 am

ual4life wrote:
Lol the smell of the pet relief area will mix real well with the musk of jet fuel for the folks enjoying the “nice views.” :)


Ha. Either way, I'm stoked to have any outdoor space airside.
 
DEN1895
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:19 am

B West Opening - Many pictures for everyone, first flights out will be on Sunday.

From the existing concourse
Image
Boarding area
Image
New gate signage
Image
New seating
Image
Image
Image
Restrooms/ men's restroom
Image
Image
Image
Patio area
Image
View from patio
Image
 
775899
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:17 am

Looks amazing!

I just wish they would’ve throughly renovated the existing portions of the concourses to better match the additions. The existing portions look tacky compared to this.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:20 am

Looks great! That men's room is a huge improvement compared to all the others. That might be the single best feature. More of that, please.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 7M9 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90 ——— AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
atlflyer
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:18 pm

intotheair wrote:
Looks great! That men's room is a huge improvement compared to all the others. That might be the single best feature. More of that, please.


I believe that is the plan. All existing concourses will get renovated.
 
atlflyer
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 pm

https://www.internationalairportreview. ... expansion/

In addition to the 39 new gates, the airport will update ageing facilities across the concourses for an enhanced passenger experience including: Hold rooms, commuter facilities, restrooms, carpeting, furniture, ceilings, updated wayfinding and replacing walkways and escalators. The concourse renewal work is part of Phase II of the programme, which will make much-needed renovations to improve the passenger experience.

Phase II of the project added $560 million to the existing Gate Expansion Program contracts and was approved by Denver City Council in May 2020. By utilising construction teams who are already mobilised at DEN, the airport can efficiently make improvements to enhance the passenger experience while also providing jobs and construction opportunities in Denver. The concourse renewal work will be complete by in 2024, dependent upon traffic levels and airline operations.
 
mkorpal333
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Are they doing concourse renovations on the gates closed for pad rehabilitations? It would make sense to pair the two projects.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 pm

The new SLC terminal looks a lot better than DEN even after the renovations that they’re doing.

Also what with the yellow signs? Looks tacky and cheap.
 
DEN1895
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm

mkorpal333 wrote:
Are they doing concourse renovations on the gates closed for pad rehabilitations? It would make sense to pair the two projects.


Unfortunately, no the gate rehab project was suspended then suddenly expedited this year when COVID hit, the refresh project wasn't suppose to happen yet and got moved up to start sooner. It seems like the timelines didn't match up, even though it would have been great if they did. The refresh project doesn't change a lot in gate areas, just replacing carpet, signage, and new seating, it is mostly in the central walkway areas that see the biggest change.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Eventually is the plan for the existing concourse to match the additions? Right the difference is every obvious.
 
775899
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:03 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new SLC terminal looks a lot better than DEN even after the renovations that they’re doing.

Also what with the yellow signs? Looks tacky and cheap.


Idk, the new portions of the DEN concourses look even better. If they can renovate the existing concourses as well, they’ll be just as nice.

And I don’t have a problem with the yellow signs, the old ones were fairly dated.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:03 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new SLC terminal looks a lot better than DEN even after the renovations that they’re doing.

Also what with the yellow signs? Looks tacky and cheap.


Idk, the new portions of the DEN concourses look even better. If they can renovate the existing concourses as well, they’ll be just as nice.

And I don’t have a problem with the yellow signs, the old ones were fairly dated.


I have to agree with the original post. The new SLC terminal totally kills DEN before and after the Reno.
 
775899
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new SLC terminal looks a lot better than DEN even after the renovations that they’re doing.

Also what with the yellow signs? Looks tacky and cheap.


Idk, the new portions of the DEN concourses look even better. If they can renovate the existing concourses as well, they’ll be just as nice.

And I don’t have a problem with the yellow signs, the old ones were fairly dated.


I have to agree with the original post. The new SLC terminal totally kills DEN before and after the Reno.


You haven’t seen the full concourse renovations yet, so how can you judge? This is just the first new portion to open and frankly it looks stunning.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:48 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

Idk, the new portions of the DEN concourses look even better. If they can renovate the existing concourses as well, they’ll be just as nice.

And I don’t have a problem with the yellow signs, the old ones were fairly dated.


I have to agree with the original post. The new SLC terminal totally kills DEN before and after the Reno.


You haven’t seen the full concourse renovations yet, so how can you judge? This is just the first new portion to open and frankly it looks stunning.


Doesn’t look as stunning as the new SLC terminal. That terminal is immaculate in person.
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

I have to agree with the original post. The new SLC terminal totally kills DEN before and after the Reno.


You haven’t seen the full concourse renovations yet, so how can you judge? This is just the first new portion to open and frankly it looks stunning.


Doesn’t look as stunning as the new SLC terminal. That terminal is immaculate in person.


Actually this looks much better than SLC.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

You haven’t seen the full concourse renovations yet, so how can you judge? This is just the first new portion to open and frankly it looks stunning.


Doesn’t look as stunning as the new SLC terminal. That terminal is immaculate in person.


Actually this looks much better than SLC.


Let’s all be honest with ourselves. I believe I can speak for just about everyone when I say DEN is just putting lipstick on a pig. The new SLC terminal is light years ahead of DEN. SLC actually learned from many of DEN’s mistakes to make sure there’s didn’t have the same issues. That’s a fact, haha.
 
mkorpal333
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Doesn’t look as stunning as the new SLC terminal. That terminal is immaculate in person.


Actually this looks much better than SLC.


Let’s all be honest with ourselves. I believe I can speak for just about everyone when I say DEN is just putting lipstick on a pig. The new SLC terminal is light years ahead of DEN. SLC actually learned from many of DEN’s mistakes to make sure there’s didn’t have the same issues. That’s a fact, haha.


Well, you don't speak for me. Honestly, how could I compare until I've been through both. And airside, all Den really needs is the ongoing interior renovations, some expansion of the train, which I think was eventually going to happen, and the damn Centurion club to open.
 
EssentialBusDC
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:06 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new SLC terminal looks a lot better than DEN even after the renovations that they’re doing.

Also what with the yellow signs? Looks tacky and cheap.


So this is what the new SLC concourse look. Not seeing much difference that makes it a “lot” better. Yellow works as it highlights the gate. I do like the Den update that includes even more glass for views outside.

Image
 
775899
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:27 pm

EssentialBusDC wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new SLC terminal looks a lot better than DEN even after the renovations that they’re doing.

Also what with the yellow signs? Looks tacky and cheap.


So this is what the new SLC concourse look. Not seeing much difference that makes it a “lot” better. Yellow works as it highlights the gate. I do like the Den update that includes even more glass for views outside.

Image


Actually, it seems the concourse is slightly narrower in SLC anyway. DEN has higher ceilings and seems more spread out. The only advantage SLC has is an actual pedestrian tunnel between the concourses.
 
ytib
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:37 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Doesn’t look as stunning as the new SLC terminal. That terminal is immaculate in person.


Actually this looks much better than SLC.


Let’s all be honest with ourselves. I believe I can speak for just about everyone when I say DEN is just putting lipstick on a pig. The new SLC terminal is light years ahead of DEN. SLC actually learned from many of DEN’s mistakes to make sure there’s didn’t have the same issues. That’s a fact, haha.


If it is a fact then please post your source.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3
 
guppyflyer
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:41 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:39 pm

It seems silly to compare a brand new terminal to a 25 year old one. Yes the new SLC is nice (the public art especially so), and I would hope that 25 years of experience would yield some improvements. That said, the new SLC isn't revolutionary in any sense. Nice yes, but not groundbreaking. The expansion gates in DEN are just as nice and renovating the existing portions will bring them closer to this new standard. Airports and terminals first should be functional and efficient, this is especially important when they are hub airports and DEN is outstanding in that category. If an airport can couple these qualities with style and elegance then so much the better. DEN consistently ranks highly in airport ratings and these new additions should improve this.
 
DenverBrian
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 pm

I don't like that narrowing of the space as the new part commences. And, time will tell if the terrazzo floor has a better life than the originals - especially in the main terminal/Great Hall, some of the terrazzo didn't last 10 years.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:32 am

was at DEN yesterday and got a kick out of all the "keep 6 feet apart", etc. etc......but when coming down to the train from security, jam packed in 3 cars and then the special car that is set up to provide "space", not one single person in it. When I got off on B, I waited for the next one to see if it was the same, and of course it was. 3 packed cars and one completely empty.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4598
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:47 am

CALMSP wrote:
was at DEN yesterday and got a kick out of all the "keep 6 feet apart", etc. etc......but when coming down to the train from security, jam packed in 3 cars and then the special car that is set up to provide "space", not one single person in it. When I got off on B, I waited for the next one to see if it was the same, and of course it was. 3 packed cars and one completely empty.


It's like that every day. Ridiculous.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:05 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
was at DEN yesterday and got a kick out of all the "keep 6 feet apart", etc. etc......but when coming down to the train from security, jam packed in 3 cars and then the special car that is set up to provide "space", not one single person in it. When I got off on B, I waited for the next one to see if it was the same, and of course it was. 3 packed cars and one completely empty.


It's like that every day. Ridiculous.


Just another brilliant move by mgmt at DEN - the “socially distant” train car available to those who pay.

You have to love posing for pictures with your new gates while the rest of the airport has, frankly, quickly turned to shambles. Everything from the great hall to the restrooms are a mess. But the new gates are spotless... for now
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7652
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:45 am

joeblow10 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
was at DEN yesterday and got a kick out of all the "keep 6 feet apart", etc. etc......but when coming down to the train from security, jam packed in 3 cars and then the special car that is set up to provide "space", not one single person in it. When I got off on B, I waited for the next one to see if it was the same, and of course it was. 3 packed cars and one completely empty.


It's like that every day. Ridiculous.


Just another brilliant move by mgmt at DEN - the “socially distant” train car available to those who pay.

You have to love posing for pictures with your new gates while the rest of the airport has, frankly, quickly turned to shambles. Everything from the great hall to the restrooms are a mess. But the new gates are spotless... for now

Can't wait for the new restrooms to smell like stale toilet water and poop. Honestly the restrooms alone make DIA a very unpleasant airport. And the train and construction make it worse. They should start offering bus service from the terminal to the concourses for pax, it would take stress off the train.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4598
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:59 am

TWA772LR wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

It's like that every day. Ridiculous.


Just another brilliant move by mgmt at DEN - the “socially distant” train car available to those who pay.

You have to love posing for pictures with your new gates while the rest of the airport has, frankly, quickly turned to shambles. Everything from the great hall to the restrooms are a mess. But the new gates are spotless... for now

Can't wait for the new restrooms to smell like stale toilet water and poop. Honestly the restrooms alone make DIA a very unpleasant airport. And the train and construction make it worse. They should start offering bus service from the terminal to the concourses for pax, it would take stress off the train.


I can't believe they haven't done a "light" renovation for the restrooms to make them a little more tolerable until the concourse wide renovations are done. They wouldn't cost a lot, but would dramatically improve the experience in the interim. Rip out and replace all of the old stalls and install a high-flow ventilation system. Half of the stalls are broken (locks don't work or the gaps are too large for the locks to actually lock), and the air smells like it has been stagnant for years of accumulating airborne fecal molecules.
 
MD88CLE
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:16 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:10 am

joeblow10 wrote:
Just another brilliant move by mgmt at DEN - the “socially distant” train car available to those who pay.


It's free, just requires scheduling ahead of time.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:27 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

It's like that every day. Ridiculous.


Just another brilliant move by mgmt at DEN - the “socially distant” train car available to those who pay.

You have to love posing for pictures with your new gates while the rest of the airport has, frankly, quickly turned to shambles. Everything from the great hall to the restrooms are a mess. But the new gates are spotless... for now

Can't wait for the new restrooms to smell like stale toilet water and poop. Honestly the restrooms alone make DIA a very unpleasant airport. And the train and construction make it worse. They should start offering bus service from the terminal to the concourses for pax, it would take stress off the train.


I thought it was rather odd in the bathrooms on B that to "curb the spread of Coronavirus, these hands-free dryer's are turned off".......what?!
 
ericm2031
Posts: 1467
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:46 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:57 pm

CALMSP wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Just another brilliant move by mgmt at DEN - the “socially distant” train car available to those who pay.

You have to love posing for pictures with your new gates while the rest of the airport has, frankly, quickly turned to shambles. Everything from the great hall to the restrooms are a mess. But the new gates are spotless... for now

Can't wait for the new restrooms to smell like stale toilet water and poop. Honestly the restrooms alone make DIA a very unpleasant airport. And the train and construction make it worse. They should start offering bus service from the terminal to the concourses for pax, it would take stress off the train.


I thought it was rather odd in the bathrooms on B that to "curb the spread of Coronavirus, these hands-free dryer's are turned off".......what?!


Hand dryers have always been unsanitary.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4598
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:02 pm

CALMSP wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Just another brilliant move by mgmt at DEN - the “socially distant” train car available to those who pay.

You have to love posing for pictures with your new gates while the rest of the airport has, frankly, quickly turned to shambles. Everything from the great hall to the restrooms are a mess. But the new gates are spotless... for now

Can't wait for the new restrooms to smell like stale toilet water and poop. Honestly the restrooms alone make DIA a very unpleasant airport. And the train and construction make it worse. They should start offering bus service from the terminal to the concourses for pax, it would take stress off the train.


I thought it was rather odd in the bathrooms on B that to "curb the spread of Coronavirus, these hands-free dryer's are turned off".......what?!


viruses stick to water. air dryers push water into the air.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:03 pm

I flew into Concourse B at DEN on Sunday night and thought I'd share a few pictures. I tried to get some elements that haven't already been shared. It is a very nice space, though it's not huge – it's only six gates after all. If the other extensions look like this, then it will be a nice improvement. I also hope the refresh to the existing concourses will be enough to match.

New vs. old. The lighting difference is stark. I also noticed some of the older gates on the north side (B19-ish) were taped off. Are those being renovated?
Image

Image

Outdoor patio is nice, though smaller than I anticipated. It feels like too much furniture. Also looks like there's some sort of bar area.

Image

Image

Image

Also, there's this rather large and empty space. Is this reserved for consessions? I could see a tiny newsstand in that corner along the white wall area. I'm not sure what the big space by the windows is supposed to be though. There's a divider separating it from the Gate B12 holdroom.

Image

Overall, it looks very nice, and I can't wait to see the rest. The restroom is also very nice, though I do worry people may bottleneck around the two sinks at the entrance instead of going around to the row of sinks on the other side.

Also, this isn't in the new part, but the west end of B is getting a Starbucks underneath the UA Club escalators. This side of the concourse has gone far too long without a passable coffee option.

Image
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 7M9 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90 ——— AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3658
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:28 pm

wow, that patio does look much smaller than I was anticipating as well.
 
jetmatt777
Posts: 4598
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:16 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:42 pm

Those gates are closed off because of the ramp concrete replacement project. There will be a slight re-alignment of jetways requiring construction work on the interior. But no remodeling. UA may do some light updates to the podiums etc. but not a remodel.
 
DEN1895
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:15 pm

intotheair wrote:
I flew into Concourse B at DEN on Sunday night and thought I'd share a few pictures. I tried to get some elements that haven't already been shared. It is a very nice space, though it's not huge – it's only six gates after all. If the other extensions look like this, then it will be a nice improvement. I also hope the refresh to the existing concourses will be enough to match.

New vs. old. The lighting difference is stark. I also noticed some of the older gates on the north side (B19-ish) were taped off. Are those being renovated?
Image

Image

Outdoor patio is nice, though smaller than I anticipated. It feels like too much furniture. Also looks like there's some sort of bar area.

Image

Image

Image

Also, there's this rather large and empty space. Is this reserved for consessions? I could see a tiny newsstand in that corner along the white wall area. I'm not sure what the big space by the windows is supposed to be though. There's a divider separating it from the Gate B12 holdroom.

Image

Overall, it looks very nice, and I can't wait to see the rest. The restroom is also very nice, though I do worry people may bottleneck around the two sinks at the entrance instead of going around to the row of sinks on the other side.

Also, this isn't in the new part, but the west end of B is getting a Starbucks underneath the UA Club escalators. This side of the concourse has gone far too long without a passable coffee option.

Image


You are correct that the open space will be for a future concession, if it is a restaurant the kitchen will be located on ramp level. The Starbucks has been finished with construction since April, but they decided not to open it due to low traffic.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:25 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
You are correct that the open space will be for a future concession, if it is a restaurant the kitchen will be located on ramp level. The Starbucks has been finished with construction since April, but they decided not to open it due to low traffic.


Thanks for your insight as always. I think I knew the Starbucks was there for a while, but I want to say that this was the first time I'd seen it fully uncovered without any sort of temporary construction wall. Notice how the cashwrap machines are on, and it looked to me like it was maybe getting closer to opening.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 7M9 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90 ——— AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
DEN1895
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Great Hall Phase 2 update

First some update photos from Phase 1
Image
Image

Phase 2 overview and renderings
Image
Image
Image
Image

New timeline
Image

More info from: https://denver.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4698921&GUID=8F843C05-A9FE-4104-8FBC-94044075FF81&Options=&Search=
 
mcg
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:49 am

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:54 pm

It's gonna be a long 3 years.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos