Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bfitzflyer

Re: Denver Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:15 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
was at DEN yesterday and got a kick out of all the "keep 6 feet apart", etc. etc......but when coming down to the train from security, jam packed in 3 cars and then the special car that is set up to provide "space", not one single person in it. When I got off on B, I waited for the next one to see if it was the same, and of course it was. 3 packed cars and one completely empty.

It's like that every day. Ridiculous.

Is there any long term solution for the trains?

DEN1895

Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:28 am

bfitzflyer wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
was at DEN yesterday and got a kick out of all the "keep 6 feet apart", etc. etc......but when coming down to the train from security, jam packed in 3 cars and then the special car that is set up to provide "space", not one single person in it. When I got off on B, I waited for the next one to see if it was the same, and of course it was. 3 packed cars and one completely empty.

Buy more of them, unfortunately there are not a lot of good solutions to the problem due to the way the system was designed. That is why after A,B, and C are built out the next gates would be built to the East or West of the terminal.

panam330

Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:30 pm

mcg wrote:
It's gonna be a long 3 years.

Suuuure is. :grumpy:

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:30 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

Buy more of them, unfortunately there are not a lot of good solutions to the problem due to the way the system was designed. That is why after A,B, and C are built out the next gates would be built to the East or West of the terminal.

Was the old Stapleton airport more of a connecting hub or O&D airport? As brilliant as DIA is, I just cannot believe they didn’t take into account more O&D friendly features when designing things.

bfitzflyer

Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:33 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

Was the old Stapleton airport more of a connecting hub or O&D airport? As brilliant as DIA is, I just cannot believe they didn’t take into account more O&D friendly features when designing things.

Was a connecting hub for UA, CO and old Frontier.

DEN1895

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:15 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

You are correct there, originally was designed for 60-65% transfer traffic, instead last year I believe the airport had 65% O&D traffic. I don't have the numbers over the years, but I have heard with WNs entrance and the rapid growth of Denver have been big factors. UA is only 40% O&D vs WN at 70%, just for fun F9 is also at 70%.

DEN1895

Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:16 pm

panam330 wrote:
mcg wrote:

Hopefully once the center of the terminal is no longer under construction it will be a little bit better as that is the biggest annoyance right now.

GmoneyCO

Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:11 pm

I flew out of DIA on Monday morning. The new expansion on B is very nice. The patio will be a nice for plane watching. One thing they will need to figure out how to handle is keeping birds out of the concourse. I saw two flying around ~B22 who had come in from the patio.

Frustratingly some things never change with DIA. On Concourse B on Monday, two escalators serving the train were out of service causing backups on both down and up escalators do to 50% capacity on one side. The ceiling tiles around the air vents on B have gotten really bad. I attached one image showing how bad now. I imagine the HVAC systems are running non-stop to filter the air but would have expected higher quality filters to be used at this point to filter out COVID which should reduce this level of build up.

atlflyer

Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:31 pm

GmoneyCO wrote:
I flew out of DIA on Monday morning. The new expansion on B is very nice. The patio will be a nice for plane watching. One thing they will need to figure out how to handle is keeping birds out of the concourse. I saw two flying around ~B22 who had come in from the patio.

Frustratingly some things never change with DIA. On Concourse B on Monday, two escalators serving the train were out of service causing backups on both down and up escalators do to 50% capacity on one side. The ceiling tiles around the air vents on B have gotten really bad. I attached one image showing how bad now. I imagine the HVAC systems are running non-stop to filter the air but would have expected higher quality filters to be used at this point to filter out COVID which should reduce this level of build up.

Yeah that is years of not cleaning! Let’s hope it’s better after they install new ceiling tiles during the renovation as well as new escalators and moving walkways.

CALMSP

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:06 pm

GmoneyCO wrote:

there's been birds flying inside for years, not necessarily a reflection of the last couple days. But, certainly another easy way to get in.

MIflyer12

Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:27 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:

DIA was always planned for big volumes of connecting traffic, going back to national plans for incremental airport capacity in 1990. DEN has been open for fully 25 years now. One would hope that +/- 10 points of O&D traffic wouldn't be a big deal. (In terms of O&D %, it slots between MSP and SEA. It doesn't have the O&D count of ORD, let alone LAX.) It's probably a bigger issue that DEN is well over original passenger design capacity.

If you want to argue that the U.S. just doesn't spend enough Federal money on airports, that's another thread.

panam330

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:22 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
panam330 wrote:
mcg wrote:

Hopefully once the center of the terminal is no longer under construction it will be a little bit better as that is the biggest annoyance right now.

I’d settle for them fixing the damn escalators and trains! If there was ever a good time to do it, anytime in the last 8 months would’ve been appropriate. Yes, I know that costs are a big deal with income down, but maintaining what you have should’ve been allocated for already. It’s been an ongoing issue for DEN since I first moved here in 2009.

mcg

Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:40 pm

panam330 wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
panam330 wrote:

I’d settle for them fixing the damn escalators and trains! If there was ever a good time to do it, anytime in the last 8 months would’ve been appropriate. Yes, I know that costs are a big deal with income down, but maintaining what you have should’ve been allocated for already. It’s been an ongoing issue for DEN since I first moved here in 2009.

It's always seemed basic maintenance has been a low priority at DEN. I wonder what percentage of bathroom stalls actually have a coat hook, small thing but sort of symbolic. Early on I thought it was because debt service swallowed all the cash flow.

DEN1895

Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:42 pm

panam330 wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
panam330 wrote:

The struggle that the airport has is that everything is reaching the end of it's life at exactly the same time, combined with the amount of total conveyances, They have started to replace the moving walkways & elevators, escalators should start next year. As far as replacing more during the pandemic the struggle has been getting the materials with economies around the world disrupted. One example is the additional train cars, they were scheduled to arrive this Dec, but have been pushed back to next year due to materials shortages. I know the airport and it's contractors have been struggling to find workers to complete these projects as well.

intotheair

Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:40 am

I thought I'd share some photos of B-East as I hadn't seen much about that project.

The view of the north side of it as seen from what used to be Gate ~B61:

C-East construction from that same vantage point:

View from the connector corridor to the B80-95 mini-concourse:

View from Gate B85. While it is a pandemic, these gates were still almost as packed as they were in normal times. I believe the odd-numbered gates will be removed, and if that's the case, I hope extra holdroom space will help.

A look at some of the A-West construction while I was taxiing:

A nice sight to see again:

300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 7M9 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90 ——— AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:18 am

https://youtu.be/sBu1uejwO1o

Found this short video of someone who did Denver-Alamosa, Colo. on Boutique Air. I know they switched to United/SkyWest on Nov.1 .

Does Denver to Alamosa actually fill a 50 seat jet or is it pointless?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

joeblow10

Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:38 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

Found this short video of someone who did Denver-Alamosa, Colo. on Boutique Air. I know they switched to United/SkyWest on Nov.1 .

What a mess that changeover must’ve been. I thought OO wasn’t going to start it up because of certification issues at ALS, but clearly they did. It wasn’t too long ago in one of Enilria’s weekly post that OO removed ALS thru the spring...

To answer your question: no chance of filling a 50 seater. But im sure the town felt the same way I do: I’d rather have 2x daily service on a jet than 4-5x daily in a turboprop

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:54 am

joeblow10 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

What a mess that changeover must’ve been. I thought OO wasn’t going to start it up because of certification issues at ALS, but clearly they did. It wasn’t too long ago in one of Enilria’s weekly post that OO removed ALS thru the spring...

To answer your question: no chance of filling a 50 seater. But im sure the town felt the same way I do: I’d rather have 2x daily service on a jet than 4-5x daily in a turboprop

I agree, I saw a post on AirlineGeeks saying the airport didn’t have certification because they missed a bunch of steps, but then they suddenly got it.

A lot of those smaller cities are falling for what I’ve heard some call “shiny jet syndrome” . Other former Boutique cities have also fallen for it including Victoria and Johnstown. They lost all three of those cities this fall to SkyWest

joeblow10

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I agree, I saw a post on AirlineGeeks saying the airport didn’t have certification because they missed a bunch of steps, but then they suddenly got it.

A lot of those smaller cities are falling for what I’ve heard some call “shiny jet syndrome” . Other former Boutique cities have also fallen for it including Victoria and Johnstown. They lost all three of those cities this fall to SkyWest

OO doesn’t bid very high on the contracts. I don’t know what sort of profit margin (or I guess more properly... how full they still need the planes to make money) it represents but it can’t be very high.

With bids so close, I’d have shiny jet syndrome too. OO’s CR2s aren’t the most reliable operation in the world, but it’s a lot more stable than 135 operations that can collapse in a second or be constantly delayed

SyracuseAvGeek

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:10 am

joeblow10 wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

OO doesn’t bid very high on the contracts. I don’t know what sort of profit margin (or I guess more properly... how full they still need the planes to make money) it represents but it can’t be very high.

With bids so close, I’d have shiny jet syndrome too. OO’s CR2s aren’t the most reliable operation in the world, but it’s a lot more stable than 135 operations that can collapse in a second or be constantly delayed

That is true. There is a larger gap that needs to filled, there is a huge jump from 8/9 seat planes and 50 seat jets. Some of these smaller airlines should start flying bigger prop planes, then these communities wouldn’t be so inclined to go with these jets that are always empty

CALMSP

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:37 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

no, but everyone's tax dollars fills United's pockets

jetmatt777

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:45 pm

CALMSP wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

I am not so sure about that. I believe SkyWest has been applying for a lot of these markets on their own, (at risk) with UA's nod of approval. I would assume OO gets the subsidy, and UA gets the downline passenger contributions. I could be wrong.

MAH4546

Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:01 pm

CALMSP wrote:
SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

No. It’s at risk flying by Skywest.
a.

DEN1895

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Great Hall Phase 2 was approved by City Council last night, this means that construction will start next summer. This is a step in the right direction, one short term impact that will be unpleasant is that from the start of construction until Q3 2023, 5 of 13 of the North Screening Checkpoint will be temporarily closed due to construction overhead. If the airport returns to a higher passenger traffic by the end of 2021, or 2022 security will be very tight as 15% of the airports lanes will be closed for 2 years.

In unrelated news, the airport is receiving some of the new CT bag scanners for the checkpoints from TSA, I have heard that each checkpoint is getting 2 new scanners, this should improve throughput as these are the scanners that do not require you to remove everything from your bags. South checkpoint already has the new devices installed.

jetmatt777

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:39 pm

B East

mcg

Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:45 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:

Forty or so years ago I flew DEN-ALS-DRO in Convair 580 on Frontier. Great flight I recall very much enjoying the views of the mountains. Time flies.

DEN1895

Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:58 pm

October passenger numbers are now available:

Overall the airport was down 45.4% for the month and 52.2% for the year, domestic is down 43.9% and international 81.7%. Flights for the month were down 29% and flights for the full year were down 32.4%

Next stats for each airline for Oct:
UA: 1,190,537 (-44.8%)
WN: 915,833 (-44.3%)
F9: 522,895 (-37.9%)
AA: 181,278 (-34.3%)
DL: 113,774 (-64.1%)

YTD stats for each airline.
UA: 11,540,817 (-55.3%)
WN: 8,397,612 (-46.6%)
F9: 3,851,299 (-46.2%)
AA: 1,456,175 (-46.8%)
DL: 1,195,521 (-61.5%)

Out of all the smaller airlines at DEN, Volaris is still doing the best with only 52 fewer passengers this October(-.6%), followed up by Alaska down only 32.6%.

DEN1895

Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:02 am

Over on B West UA is piloting a new gate area set up, it involves having no gate agent podium and only having iPad like devices available for assistance. Another new feature is these new towers that give the flight information that would normally be behind the gate agent. The screens look nice and it will be interesting to see how the pilot plays out, if it works out it would help with adding more space in the gate areas.

From the walkway:
From the jet bridge, complete with baggage claim info and connection information.

DEN1895

Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Hello everyone, time for the December construction update.

A West
A West is still making good progress, the curtain wall construction is now to the 2nd subcore and will probably be mostly complete this month or the beginning of January.

Full project from south side
Pictures of the north side, the international corridor elevator/escalator sections have been partially complete, they have a different all glass look compared to the rest of the concourse.
Zoomed in FIS corridor from the north
Full project from the north

B GARDI
While I dont have a picture this month, the first gate(B31) has received its ground paint, and should be turned over to UA sometime soon, another gate(B29) is nearing completion and could be turned over before the end of the month.

B East
B East also continues with curtain wall construction with half of the north and south side complete.
Picture from the north side.
Picture from the south side

C East.
Curtain wall construction continues, also out to the 2nd subcore, with the 1st and 2nd subcore having their glass started as well.

Full project from the south
Zoomed in subcore from the north.

Southwest Hangar
Still not a lot happening with this project and haven't really seen much progress recently, so here's a picture of some planes instead. This project still has about 4 months before completion.

theAviationGeek

Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:45 am

DEN1895 wrote:

DEN1895,

Thank you for posting these. I look forward to your progress photos each month along with your various other updates.

Stay Warm...
Ryan

mkorpal333

Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:58 am

DEN1895 wrote:

A West
A West is still making good progress, the curtain wall construction is now to the 2nd subcore and will probably be mostly complete this month or the beginning of January.

Pictures of the north side, the international corridor elevator/escalator sections have been partially complete, they have a different all glass look compared to the rest of the concourse.

B GARDI
While I dont have a picture this month, the first gate(B31) has received its ground paint, and should be turned over to UA sometime soon, another gate(B29) is nearing completion and could be turned over before the end of the month.

B East
B East also continues with curtain wall construction with half of the north and south side complete.

C East.
Curtain wall construction continues, also out to the 2nd subcore, with the 1st and 2nd subcore having their glass started as well.

Southwest Hangar
Still not a lot happening with this project and haven't really seen much progress recently, so here's a picture of some planes instead. This project still has about 4 months before completion.

Is that a Delta widebody at A north?

GmoneyCO

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:02 am

mkorpal333 wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:

A West

B GARDI

B East

C East.

Southwest Hangar

I believe it is a Delta A350 that is being stored on the west side of A. I saw it the other week but didn't get close enough to confirm that it was an A350, the winglets did look like A350 winglets though.

mkorpal333

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:06 am

GmoneyCO wrote:
mkorpal333 wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:

A West

B GARDI

B East

C East.

Southwest Hangar

I believe it is a Delta A350 that is being stored on the west side of A. I saw it the other week but didn't get close enough to confirm that it was an A350, the winglets did look like A350 winglets though.

I just pulled up Flightradar. Looks like they flew a 764 on one of the Atlanta flights today. Odd one for sure.

DEN1895

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:14 am

mkorpal333 wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:

A West

B GARDI

B East

C East.

Southwest Hangar

It is a DL 767-400 it has been running daily sine the beginning of Dec to ATL.
Some fun pics both here and there.

intotheair

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:47 am

DL used to run 767s to ATL daily up until maybe 8-10 years ago. The 764 still pops up occasionally, especially around the holidays. Still though, that's somewhat surprising to see one there during pandemic times.

There's a DL A350 being stored at DEN?
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 7M9 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90 ——— AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

smokeybandit

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:11 pm

https://twitter.com/DenverGazette/statu ... 62575?s=20

DIA hits second milestone of Great Hall terminal renovation project

I flew through there last week, and if any milestone was met, it surely wasn't anything visible to regular passengers.

DEN1895

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:38 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
https://twitter.com/DenverGazette/status/1343647911335362575?s=20

I flew through there last week, and if any milestone was met, it surely wasn't anything visible to regular passengers.

This milestone was the completion of the new Central Monitoring Facility for TSA and the baggage workers. While this milestone is not it the public area, the amount of construction that has occurred in the past 9 months with the new company compared to the previous 18 months with the old is outstanding. Also one thing to note is that the milestone was again completed weeks ahead of the revised schedule.

CALMSP

Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:51 pm

DEN1895 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

This milestone was the completion of the new Central Monitoring Facility for TSA and the baggage workers. While this milestone is not it the public area, the amount of construction that has occurred in the past 9 months with the new company compared to the previous 18 months with the old is outstanding. Also one thing to note is that the milestone was again completed weeks ahead of the revised schedule.

what is the expected advantage on the last 9 months for the new company with little traffic compared to the old company with record high traffic?

DEN1895

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:06 pm

CALMSP wrote:
DEN1895 wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

what is the expected advantage on the last 9 months for the new company with little traffic compared to the old company with record high traffic?

While the lower traffic has helped, it really seems like the 1st company was doing everything they could to not complete the work, with them saying the concrete was not up to par, work stopped for several months. Both an independent contractor and the new construction company said it was not an issue. Even after the construction resumed it seemed as though it was going very slowly. The new company has also done their best to work with the airport during irregular operations, while the previous never really tried to help with improving day to day operations. And finally, the new company has not caught anything on fire, also a plus.

jplatts

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 pm

While I probably would not have expected WN to add DEN-GSP nonstop service in the past, WN adding DEN-GSP nonstop service might be a possibility with
(a) F9 no longer serving GSP,
(b) WN having reduced frequencies on ATL-DEN/LAS nonstop service,
(c) WN having dropped ATL-LAX nonstop service,
(d) DEN-GSP being one of the top routes out of DEN not currently served nonstop by WN,
(e) WN's plans to significantly expand at DEN,
(f) the PDEW of DEN-GSP being around 95 passengers/day in 2019, and
(g) WN being able to offer connections to destinations west of the Rocky Mountains through DEN.

DEN-GSP would probably be an underserved market if demand were at 2019 levels with UA currently planning on operating only 1x daily nonstop on DEN-GSP on an E-175 regional jet in Summer 2021, but DEN-GSP is not currently an underserved market with (a) demand being significantly down as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and (b) the 1-stop connecting options that are there to GSP from DEN on AA, DL, and WN.

AndoAv8R

Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:23 pm

I've noticed Delta operating quite a few more 757's/767's into Denver lately (more than I can remember in years), as well as more flights overall. Are these actually flying in/out with full loads or is Delta just keeping aircraft active?

Venezuela747

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:04 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:
I've noticed Delta operating quite a few more 757's/767's into Denver lately (more than I can remember in years), as well as more flights overall. Are these actually flying in/out with full loads or is Delta just keeping aircraft active?

I was on a 763 DEN-ATL flight Saturday morning 12/19. First class went out full. There were 4 open seats at check in and I missed the upgrade by 1 :( Comfort+ seemed full with it's regular middle seat blocking and I would say Economy has maybe 30-40 open seats (from the stand by list and taking into account blocked middle seats). So not bad, I would say that's a >85% load
ROLL TIDE!!!

xjetflyer2001

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:57 pm

Venezuela747 wrote:
AndoAv8R wrote:

I was on a 763 DEN-ATL flight Saturday morning 12/19. First class went out full. There were 4 open seats at check in and I missed the upgrade by 1 :( Comfort+ seemed full with it's regular middle seat blocking and I would say Economy has maybe 30-40 open seats (from the stand by list and taking into account blocked middle seats). So not bad, I would say that's a >85% load

Good to know, I was actually curious of the same thing myself, so thank you for the info.

smokeybandit

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:20 pm

Delta has a "Thank You" livery that went through DEN today

https://twitter.com/DENAirport/status/1 ... 91456?s=20

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:26 pm

DEN now has service to five airports in Utah. SGU, VEL, CNY, SLC, and PVU. I think that’s the most for Utah. Pretty impressive.

AA321T

Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:14 am

Noticed that an AA 788 operating as AA280 ICN-DFW diverted to DEN today due to the Dallas area airspace closure. Did anyone happen to grab a picture?

SQ22
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Please continue to post your news and your discussion here:

Denver Aviation Thread - 2021

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos