Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stasisLAX

Re: Frontier Has Cancelled 97 Flights So Far Today??

Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:10 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
lightsaber wrote:
How us the performance today?

I'm perplexed how any airline today could have insufficient pilots and crew on reserve.

Here's the latest Frontier cancellations:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/FFT/cancelled

HOLY CRAP..... That's AMAZINGLY bad planning. :banghead:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

flyboy7974

Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:45 pm

lightsaber wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
lightsaber wrote:
How us the performance today?

I'm perplexed how any airline today could have insufficient pilots and crew on reserve.

Here's the latest Frontier cancellations:

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/FFT/cancelled

Jaw hits floor.

One day of dropped performance is bad.
A second, albeit I count a mere 21 cancelled flights, is just poor management.

So who will be losing their job?

Lightsaber

So how many total this weekend so far? Friday was the highest and I thought yesterday was 60-70 cxld.

silentbob

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:34 pm

lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Demanding someone's head on a pike every time there is an issue is ridiculous. Step one is always to figure out exactly why the problem occurred. I've worked for companies where everyone has followed procedure to a "T" and there have still been significant issues. Those situations required a review and modification of procedures, rather than a sacrificial lamb.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:51 pm

silentbob wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Demanding someone's head on a pike every time there is an issue is ridiculous. Step one is always to figure out exactly why the problem occurred. I've worked for companies where everyone has followed procedure to a "T" and there have still been significant issues. Those situations required a review and modification of procedures, rather than a sacrificial lamb.

There should have already been processes in place. There is such a huge surplus of pilots, I cannot come up with a reasonable scenario for this level of fail over a holiday weekend.

Normally, I would agree with you. But with that many surplus pilots?!? There is zero risk of a pilot hitting FAA hour limits right now.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:58 pm

lightsaber wrote:
silentbob wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

There should have already been processes in place. There is such a huge surplus of pilots, I cannot come up with a reasonable scenario for this level of fail over a holiday weekend.

Normally, I would agree with you. But with that many surplus pilots?!? There is zero risk of a pilot hitting FAA hour limits right now.

Lightsaber

Do you know how many are out on leave? In March/April/May several airlines offered thousands of pilots multi month leaves.

If it’s true that Frontier didn’t offer premium pay then that’s their fault. Premium pay would have gotten the active pilots off the side line.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:05 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
silentbob wrote:

Lightsaber

Do you know how many are out on leave? In March/April/May several airlines offered thousands of pilots multi month leaves.

If it’s true that Frontier didn’t offer premium pay then that’s their fault. Premium pay would have gotten the active pilots off the side line.

It’s impossible to believe you would even need to offer premium pay at a time like this. You have more than enough pilots to just schedule to the flights.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:05 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
silentbob wrote:

Lightsaber

I don't know how many are on leave. However, that was a known prior to scheduling the flights. There still should have been enough pilots.

If well managed, no premium required. This is a royal botch.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:26 pm

32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

It’s impossible to believe you would even need to offer premium pay at a time like this. You have more than enough pilots to just schedule to the flights.

Maybe.......do YOU know how many are out on leave? Do you know how many got vacation swaps approved? Do you know how many were allowed to bid unused vacation?

Back in March and April the airlines were scrambling to get people to leave right now. A lot of things you don’t normally see with regards to staffing were offered. Unless you know how many pilots were actually sitting around doing nothing, as you put it, your outrage is rediculous.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 pm

lightsaber wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

I don't know how many are on leave. However, that was a known prior to scheduling the flights. There still should have been enough pilots.

If well managed, no premium required. This is a royal botch.

Lightsaber

There is no doubt someone dropped the ball. But when you screw up you pay or you cancel.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:42 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

Maybe.......do YOU know how many are out on leave? Do you know how many got vacation swaps approved? Do you know how many were allowed to bid unused vacation?

Back in March and April the airlines were scrambling to get people to leave right now. A lot of things you don’t normally see with regards to staffing were offered. Unless you know how many pilots were actually sitting around doing nothing, as you put it, your outrage is rediculous.

If they already got rid of too many pilots then they shouldn’t have added so many flights. They should have known they were going to add flights back at some point. Very poor management.

FLALEFTY

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:48 pm

Only 31 cancelations (1%) by F9 today, so things seem to be getting back to "normal":

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/FFT/ ... t;sort=ASC

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:56 pm

32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

If they already got rid of too many pilots then they shouldn’t have added so many flights. They should have known they were going to add flights back at some point. Very poor management.

You should charge companies for a look into your crystal ball.

32andBelow

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:00 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

they make the schedule! It’s not like they get a surprise line up from a supreme being.

CriticalPoint

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:14 pm

32andBelow wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

they make the schedule! It’s not like they get a surprise line up from a supreme being.

There’s no don’t someone dropped the ball. They scheduled motley flights than crews. However you seem to think that there are pilots just sitting around. That may or may not be the case and unless you know you anger should be directed elsewhere.

tphuang

Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
Only 31 cancelations (1%) by F9 today, so things seem to be getting back to "normal":

https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/FFT/ ... t;sort=ASC

They normally have 3100 daily flights? That sounds like completely untrue.

AmericanAir88

Re: Frontier Airlines Network Thread - 2020

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:21 am

How is F9 doing at EWR? Are they doing well with routes like EWR-LAS?

Curious how they are establishing their footprint there and the revenue.

BusBlitz

Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:50 pm

F9 I'd guess they are doing well. Winter, they really shrink in EWR so we'd have to see what happens in the spring.

Ishrion

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:41 pm

Frontier announces 19 new routes and 3 new destinations: https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... tinations/

New destinations: Cozumel, Oakland, St. Thomas

Routes:

- DEN-CZM/OAK/PVR
- OAK-LAS/PHX
- ONT-ORD/LAS/MIA/PHX/SMF/SFO
- MCO-CUN/STT/MIA/ILG/ONT/PUJ/SDQ
- SMF-PHX
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

hiflyeras

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:28 pm

Ridiculous....this sounds like a quick way to bankruptcy.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Weird no EWR/PHL/TTN

avi8

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Frontier announces 19 new routes and 3 new destinations: https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... tinations/

Routes:

- DEN-CZM/OAK/PVR
- OAK-LAS/PHX
- SMF-PHX

I wonder if GUA and SAL will ever launch
avi8

jeffh747

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:59 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

What exactly is so ridiculous? These seem like smart, logical additions that complement their existing network.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Frontier14

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:16 pm

hiflyeras wrote:

Very few of these newly announced routes are daily and many are just 2XWEEK. If they do not perform to F9's par there will not be a huge impact financially. I expect we will see more announcements in the not to far future.

Frontier 14

sprxUSA

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Didn't they try ILG-MCO before? Or did that never get off the round?
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

rph99

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:26 pm

I’ve heard from insiders at F9 that things are going relatively well - given the circumstances, of course.

Congrats on these new adds! Short hops, cross country and international adds! Nice mix.

Bigant0408

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:29 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Didn't they try ILG-MCO before? Or did that never get off the round?

Yea they tried it before but they ended service around June 2015. They planned to start this route again early this year but due to the pandemic and a few push backs they are now aiming for next year to come back
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

SurfandSnow

Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:59 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Routes:

- DEN-CZM/OAK/PVR
- OAK-LAS/PHX
- SMF-PHX

Wow! Lots of expansion in California. I guess things must be going quite well for F9 at ONT, and surely this is a very welcome boost for OAK (which recently lost all AA and B6 services). I would tend to think scarce gate space may now be available at LAX and SFO, but perhaps F9 sees greater opportunity at secondary airports in each metropolitan area.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

randyh3253

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:06 pm

Wonder if we will ever see F9 resume service to the cities they suspend due to Covid such as GSP...my guess is no. I noticed GSP has actually removed F9 from airport signage.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:31 pm

randyh3253 wrote:
Wonder if we will ever see F9 resume service to the cities they suspend due to Covid such as GSP...my guess is no. I noticed GSP has actually removed F9 from airport signage.

Such a shame, I used them a few times.

AAflyguy

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:56 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

Routes:

- DEN-CZM/OAK/PVR
- OAK-LAS/PHX
- SMF-PHX

Wow! Lots of expansion in California. I guess things must be going quite well for F9 at ONT, and surely this is a very welcome boost for OAK (which recently lost all AA and B6 services). I would tend to think scarce gate space may now be available at LAX and SFO, but perhaps F9 sees greater opportunity at secondary airports in each metropolitan area.

F9 finally adding OAK is great. Gives folks another choice when flying in/out of the Bay Area on Frontier. PHX was a smart call especially since AA pulled out leaving only Southwest. And they will give WN some competition to DEN as well, another monopoly route. LAS will almost always work on those heavy inbound & outbound days. The ONT growth is very interesting, specifically the transcon routes. One to watch, perhaps, to see if it all sticks. And more to SMF, too. Seems things are going relatively well there under the circumstances. Good news all around for F9 in CA.

AAflyguy

AC4500

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:09 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Routes:

- DEN-CZM/OAK/PVR
- OAK-LAS/PHX
- SMF-PHX

Surprised that ONT-SEA isn't on that list given that they announced this route shortly before the pandemic, and canceled the route before it even started. The ONT additions seem pretty ambitious, ad SMF-PHX is also an interesting one as well.

I'm also surprised that its taken them this long to start OAK.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-BWI
WN: BWI-STL-PDX

jonair8

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:07 am

Congrats to F9 and ONT. Before the pandemic, ONT was on F9's radar with anticipated new routes of MIA, GUA, SAL, EWR, LAS, and SEA. I had thought that they were going to turn ONT into their primary SoCal operation since NK was starting to set up shop in BUR and G4 was already in LAX, and F9 hadn't had a key operation in SoCal at all. When F9 was responding to the pandemic and rethought the network to focus mainly on DEN, Florida, and LAS, I thought ONT's future as a key in F9's network was done at least short term.

It would appear though that F9 sees something they like in ONT and is ready to continue their experiment there, but changed to better meet the needs of a changed industry. GUA, and SAL were long shots but seemed to have the Latino traffic so not surprised to see them not back. F9s strategy in EWR seems to have changed, and SEA seems to have been curtailed by DL's recent addition of 2x E7Ws and then AS responding quickly to DL by adding a 4th mainline flight, and then skipping the planned down gauge to 2 QX E75s during the winter. Continuing LAS and adding PHX, SMF, and SFO show that they're focusing seriously on the ONT market specifically, being some of the biggest markets out of there. They aren't afraid to go head to head with WN. ORD has shown potential since AA did it seasonal recently, and MIA was going to be part of the bridge with SAL and GUA flights, so glad to see MIA at least stay.

evank516

Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:53 am

Congrats to ILG on getting air service back...for now.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:01 am

Anyone know why F9 can’t make EWR-ATL/RSW/TPA/PBI work?

Jshank83

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:58 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Cause they won’t stay on a route long enough for people to even know it started before they axe it.

jplatts

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Cause they won’t stay on a route long enough for people to even know it started before they axe it.

Another issue was that F9 was facing nonstop competition from both UA and NK on the EWR-ATL/RSW/TPA/PBI routes, and both UA and NK still serve ATL, RSW, TPA, and PBI nonstop from EWR.

In addition to UA and NK serving ATL nonstop from EWR, DL also still has a significant amount of nonstop service to ATL from EWR.

I can understand F9 dropping EWR-ATL nonstop service with the significant amount of competition that is there on the EWR-ATL route.

jetmatt777

F9 (Frontier) adding LAS-ICT/OKC/ELP/LIT/SJD/PVR

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:44 pm

https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... op-routes/

Looks like 2x weekly service to all 6 markets.

AC4500

Re: F9 (Frontier) adding LAS-ICT/OKC/ELP/LIT/SJD/PVR

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:59 pm

Frontier's expansion in LAS has been interesting to watch play out overtime. I'm surprised that they are able to keep up with so much ULCC competition, especially when travel demand is so low at the moment.
Next:
UA: PDX-ORD-BWI
WN: BWI-STL-PDX

timberwolf24

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:30 pm

F9 has also announced;
MIA-MCO/ONT/GUA/SAL/SDQ/CUN
ORD-CZM
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

enplaned

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:33 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-airlines-announces-expanded-las-vegas-service-with-6-new-nonstop-routes/

ICT-LAS is odd, given presence of G4 and WN.

enplaned

jetmatt777 wrote:
https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-airlines-announces-expanded-las-vegas-service-with-6-new-nonstop-routes/

Duplicate, sorry.
Last edited by enplaned on Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enplaned

jetmatt777 wrote:

Duplicate, sorry.

jplatts

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:40 pm

enplaned wrote:

WN has already reduced ICT-LAS nonstop service to Saturday-only (and a few other dates around the holidays) through the end of its current schedule on 8/16/2021.

FATFlyer

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:49 pm

enplaned wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I believe both G4 and WN are also operating OKC and ELP to Las Vegas.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

MIflyer12

Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:53 pm

timberwolf24 wrote:
F9 has also announced;
ORD-CZM

MIA-ONT? ONT hasn't seen much East Coast love. Good luck.

joeblow10

Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:02 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
timberwolf24 wrote:
F9 has also announced;
ORD-CZM

MIA-ONT? ONT hasn't seen much East Coast love. Good luck.

MIA and ONT must be working decently for them... they’re growing rapidly at both. I’m guessing this is more of a way to move frames thru the system than anything

SQ22
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:02 pm

Please continue to post your news and your discussion here:

Frontier Airlines Network Thread - 2021

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos