Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
jrkmsp
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 1:33 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:10 am

rainaviation2 wrote:
Does anyone have any information on the Concourse G remodel? I saw parts of an article behind a paywall. I knew they planned to "fill in" the gaps between gates, but any idea on when this construction will start and if they are still planning on a Concourse G tram?


For now, only the infill between pod 4 and 5 is moving forward, with a new SkyClub on the mezzanine level. The design is being done to incorporate a future tram, but no decisions on that yet. Construction on this part starts this spring. Other infill could follow soon behind. A tram decision is probably 18-24 months out at least.
 
BAINY3
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:56 am

FlyHappy wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
MSP is much further away from Florida than CVG and DTW so the travel patterns are different. Minnesotans generally do not vacation on the Atlantic coast of Florida. They greatly prefer the Gulf coast or Arizona. This is why routes like MSP-TPA and MSP-RSW see widebodies in the winter while places like JAX and FLL see token service and places like PBI see no service.

I agree with this observation, but I wonder why this is and how that came to be, especially since the winter climate is a bit more reliably tropical in FLL compared to TPA. It also seems like there's more to do in FLL compared to TPA as South Florida in general is a significantly larger metro area than Tampa Bay. It does seem that whenever I know Minnesotans head to FLL or MIA, it's just for a cruise. WN flies MSP-FLL on Saturdays only during the winter for this exact market.

It does seem like different temperate locales all picked their token Florida vacation spots at one point (the Inland South seems to prefer the Panhandle; the Northeast prefers the Atlantic Coast, and the Midwest prefers the Gulf Coast south of the Panhandle).


I think culturally, they're drawn to a quieter, more low key environment not necessarily wanting the bigger market.
I'm not a golfer, but perhaps the Gulf side is more "golfy" ?
Even something like Baseball spring training has an impact, probably...

Twins Spring Training explains MSP-RSW in March, but that's still just one city for one month. Doesn't account for Tampa, or January, etc. The "quieter environment" might be a big part of it. I see a similar trend out west, where MSP-PHX and MSP-LAX are similar-sized airline markets despite LA being much, much bigger than PHX.
 
SanDiegoLover
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:59 am

Minnesotans are used to their lakes and prefer the calmer waters of the gulf. Fishing is also more like home on the gulf. As a surfer I prefer the Atlantic side, but I’m not a native Minnesotan.
 
FlyHappy
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:16 am

BAINY3 wrote:
Twins Spring Training explains MSP-RSW in March, but that's still just one city for one month. Doesn't account for Tampa, or January, etc.


Agreed, but even a minor draw like that brings affluent older folks who then do things like buy condos, vacation homes (because they can), which in turn brings them more often (outside of March) - and pulling their adult kids, grandkids, etc... there is a cascade effect methinks.
 
maxbaby01
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:17 pm

Another record year for passengers and a little lower in aircraft movements in 2019.
39,555,036.
406,076.
 
MSP74702
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:54 pm

Delta is set to cancel all fight in between MSP-AMS, MSP-CDG, and FI from MSP-KEF until I’m guessing around April because of the coronavirus. Does anyone know why MSP isn’t classified as one of the U.S airports that can allow flights from Europe to come in at this time? I know it might seem like a stupid question but is it just because there’s not enough demand?
 
nws2002
Posts: 920
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:25 am

MSP74702 wrote:
Delta is set to cancel all fight in between MSP-AMS, MSP-CDG, and FI from MSP-KEF until I’m guessing around April because of the coronavirus. Does anyone know why MSP isn’t classified as one of the U.S airports that can allow flights from Europe to come in at this time? I know it might seem like a stupid question but is it just because there’s not enough demand?


I heard MAC and DL were pushing for it to be one, but I'm not sure where that stands right now.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:58 am

I think flights to DUB & LHR are remaining.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
Thunderbolt500
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:14 am

This is going to be a downturn in traffic
 
SESGDL
Posts: 2903
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:25 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 am

Thunderbolt500 wrote:
This is going to be a downturn in traffic


??? Duh... not sure how this is relevant to just MSP.

Jeremy
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:29 am

SESGDL wrote:
Thunderbolt500 wrote:
This is going to be a downturn in traffic


??? Duh... not sure how this is relevant to just MSP.

Jeremy


Yes. Last I heard MSP was expecting a 4-6% decline this year but that was before DL announced their 40% cut yesterday. It is a scary time out there.
 
tys777
Moderator
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:43 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Had some friends fly their family to Florida for spring break yesterday. Said the line at security was over an hour, flights full, and airport looked busy from a crowd perspective.

I'm sure once spring break ends, the dropoff will be extreme.
 
jrkmsp
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 1:33 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:09 pm

nws2002 wrote:
MSP74702 wrote:
Delta is set to cancel all fight in between MSP-AMS, MSP-CDG, and FI from MSP-KEF until I’m guessing around April because of the coronavirus. Does anyone know why MSP isn’t classified as one of the U.S airports that can allow flights from Europe to come in at this time? I know it might seem like a stupid question but is it just because there’s not enough demand?


I heard MAC and DL were pushing for it to be one, but I'm not sure where that stands right now.


CDC approves BOS and MIA, but rejected adding MSP. Presumably has to do with volume of international traffic.

DL yesterday announced MSP-LHR would also cancel. I saw some rumors of MSP-DUB cancelling too, but I’m not sure.

The MAC meeting Monday, via teleconference, should be interesting. January traffic was up something like 6-7% — February will be way down and March even worse. I wonder if there’s ever been a faster deceleration.
 
ck8msp
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I think flights to DUB & LHR are remaining.


Not anymore. President just announced that effective Monday all UK flights will also be part of the ban.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 pm

jrkmsp wrote:
nws2002 wrote:
MSP74702 wrote:
Delta is set to cancel all fight in between MSP-AMS, MSP-CDG, and FI from MSP-KEF until I’m guessing around April because of the coronavirus. Does anyone know why MSP isn’t classified as one of the U.S airports that can allow flights from Europe to come in at this time? I know it might seem like a stupid question but is it just because there’s not enough demand?


I heard MAC and DL were pushing for it to be one, but I'm not sure where that stands right now.


CDC approves BOS and MIA, but rejected adding MSP. Presumably has to do with volume of international traffic.

DL yesterday announced MSP-LHR would also cancel. I saw some rumors of MSP-DUB cancelling too, but I’m not sure.

The MAC meeting Monday, via teleconference, should be interesting. January traffic was up something like 6-7% — February will be way down and March even worse. I wonder if there’s ever been a faster deceleration.

Just a feeling but I think the effects of this will last longer than after 9/11.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
DlTechops
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:05 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
Thunderbolt500 wrote:
This is going to be a downturn in traffic


??? Duh... not sure how this is relevant to just MSP.

Jeremy


Yes. Last I heard MSP was expecting a 4-6% decline this year but that was before DL announced their 40% cut yesterday. It is a scary time out there.


Interesting we were told they were going to ramp up flights for the summer before all this industry destroying epidemic came along
Pilots keep passengers safe. We keep the pilots safe.
 
DlTechops
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

I heard MAC and DL were pushing for it to be one, but I'm not sure where that stands right now.


CDC approves BOS and MIA, but rejected adding MSP. Presumably has to do with volume of international traffic.

DL yesterday announced MSP-LHR would also cancel. I saw some rumors of MSP-DUB cancelling too, but I’m not sure.

The MAC meeting Monday, via teleconference, should be interesting. January traffic was up something like 6-7% — February will be way down and March even worse. I wonder if there’s ever been a faster deceleration.

Just a feeling but I think the effects of this will last longer than after 9/11.



I tend to agree.... I think itll ramp up faster than 9/11 only because its a virus not a terrorist threat. whats really gonna be the deciding factor is how fast the economy spools back up
Pilots keep passengers safe. We keep the pilots safe.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:36 pm

DlTechops wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
SESGDL wrote:

??? Duh... not sure how this is relevant to just MSP.

Jeremy


Yes. Last I heard MSP was expecting a 4-6% decline this year but that was before DL announced their 40% cut yesterday. It is a scary time out there.


Interesting we were told they were going to ramp up flights for the summer before all this industry destroying epidemic came along


For clarification, my 4-6% decrease info came this week after the Corona hysteria started but before Delta announced their big cut.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 am

DlTechops wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:

CDC approves BOS and MIA, but rejected adding MSP. Presumably has to do with volume of international traffic.

DL yesterday announced MSP-LHR would also cancel. I saw some rumors of MSP-DUB cancelling too, but I’m not sure.

The MAC meeting Monday, via teleconference, should be interesting. January traffic was up something like 6-7% — February will be way down and March even worse. I wonder if there’s ever been a faster deceleration.

Just a feeling but I think the effects of this will last longer than after 9/11.



I tend to agree.... I think itll ramp up faster than 9/11 only because its a virus not a terrorist threat. whats really gonna be the deciding factor is how fast the economy spools back up

I’m curious to what will happen in the meanwhile domestically. I’m sure it’ll be slowed. But if you have an airline that was struggling prior to this you’re really going to be in a world of hurt.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
MSP74702
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:04 am

ck8msp wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
I think flights to DUB & LHR are remaining.


Not anymore. President just announced that effective Monday all UK flights will also be part of the ban.

Does that make MSP-HND the only international long haul fight from MSP at the moment then?
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:32 am

MSP74702 wrote:
ck8msp wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
I think flights to DUB & LHR are remaining.


Not anymore. President just announced that effective Monday all UK flights will also be part of the ban.

Does that make MSP-HND the only international long haul fight from MSP at the moment then?

Yes
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
DlTechops
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:32 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
DlTechops wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
Just a feeling but I think the effects of this will last longer than after 9/11.



I tend to agree.... I think itll ramp up faster than 9/11 only because its a virus not a terrorist threat. whats really gonna be the deciding factor is how fast the economy spools back up

I’m curious to what will happen in the meanwhile domestically. I’m sure it’ll be slowed. But if you have an airline that was struggling prior to this you’re really going to be in a world of hurt.


I agree.. Im curious whats going on over at Sun Country. I dont know if they were hurting before the virus but I know they weren't making money hand over fist talking with some mechanics that worked there.
Pilots keep passengers safe. We keep the pilots safe.
 
lavalampluva
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:13 pm

DlTechops wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
DlTechops wrote:


I tend to agree.... I think itll ramp up faster than 9/11 only because its a virus not a terrorist threat. whats really gonna be the deciding factor is how fast the economy spools back up

I’m curious to what will happen in the meanwhile domestically. I’m sure it’ll be slowed. But if you have an airline that was struggling prior to this you’re really going to be in a world of hurt.


I agree.. Im curious whats going on over at Sun Country. I dont know if they were hurting before the virus but I know they weren't making money hand over fist talking with some mechanics that worked there.

Well so far there hasn’t been a ban on flying south. This might help their business since no one will be flying to Asia or Europe. Though a lot of their traffic are cruise passengers. This will be an interesting few months.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.
 
DlTechops
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:04 pm

yes it will. hopefully we dont have thousands of folks losing jobs but i know we will
Pilots keep passengers safe. We keep the pilots safe.
 
User avatar
sunking737
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:14 pm

The only thing so far hitting Sun Country is the NCAA charter flights. All NCAA Tournament flights cancelled. It affects other airlines too.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP
 
DlTechops
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:35 pm

sunking737 wrote:
The only thing so far hitting Sun Country is the NCAA charter flights. All NCAA Tournament flights cancelled. It affects other airlines too.



yeah it hits us all but Sunny was the only smaller airline I know that flys into MSP.. I can only work off of what i see on midnight lol
Pilots keep passengers safe. We keep the pilots safe.
 
DakotaFlyer
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:59 pm

Anyone tell me how the concourses look after the governor shutdown sit-in restaurants? Have any closed or they all strictly offering to-go meals?
 
DakotaFlyer
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 pm

Anyone tell me how the concourses look after the governor shutdown sit-in restaurants? Have any closed or they all strictly offering to-go meals?
 
jrkmsp
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 1:33 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:10 am

DakotaFlyer wrote:
Anyone tell me how the concourses look after the governor shutdown sit-in restaurants? Have any closed or they all strictly offering to-go meals?


MSP restaurants and bars are exempt somehow, or so I have been told. Haven’t seen it firsthand.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:52 am

T1 parking is usually around 100% full on Tuesday. As of this morning, it was 23%
 
ck8msp
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:41 am

jrkmsp wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:
Anyone tell me how the concourses look after the governor shutdown sit-in restaurants? Have any closed or they all strictly offering to-go meals?


MSP restaurants and bars are exempt somehow, or so I have been told. Haven’t seen it firsthand.



http://www.startribune.com/the-bar-is-o ... 568872692/


The bar is open — inside Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport security
Bars, restaurants, the food court at the airport are exempt from governor's closure order.
 
TW870
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:59 am

The 7pm arrivals bank on Tuesday 3/17 was crazy. Very busy with Minnesotans repatriating from mostly warm weather destinations. My baggage claim was belt 6 with a PSP, DTW, and ATL flight arriving. All 3 flights had a 20+ minute wait for bags - I would assume because it had been slow the rest of the day and all of a sudden they got swamped with arriving passengers. My 737-900 was turning to MCI, and there was almost no one in the boarding area for the 9pm outbound. I presume that this will give way to a drastic drop-off in the coming days.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:14 pm

TW870 wrote:
The 7pm arrivals bank on Tuesday 3/17 was crazy. Very busy with Minnesotans repatriating from mostly warm weather destinations. My baggage claim was belt 6 with a PSP, DTW, and ATL flight arriving. All 3 flights had a 20+ minute wait for bags - I would assume because it had been slow the rest of the day and all of a sudden they got swamped with arriving passengers. My 737-900 was turning to MCI, and there was almost no one in the boarding area for the 9pm outbound. I presume that this will give way to a drastic drop-off in the coming days.


Yep. DL dumping 60-70% of capacity and parking over half its fleet.
I'd say, get ready for a "shelter in place" order soon.
 
Elementalism
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Just heard Delta is now going to park 600 planes. This is crazy!
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:00 pm

Frontier is moving to Terminal 2 on April 15th. Odd as I've heard rumors that MSP was considering temporarily closing T2 for a few months to save money during this crisis.
 
User avatar
sunking737
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Frontier is moving to Terminal 2 on April 15th. Odd as I've heard rumors that MSP was considering temporarily closing T2 for a few months to save money during this crisis.


Not when SCX and WN have so much equipment over at T2..MX & catering, grooming etc I could be wrong
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP
 
Reddevil556
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 am

Holding out on this fizzling out by mid May, I have an MSP-LAX round trip ticket on Sun Country with the wife. Hasn’t been cancelled yet, but we shall see.
Jumped out of: C130H, C130J, C17A, C212, CH47, and UH60. Bucket list: C160, A400, C2
 
MSP74702
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:45 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Frontier is moving to Terminal 2 on April 15th. Odd as I've heard rumors that MSP was considering temporarily closing T2 for a few months to save money during this crisis.

Does anyone know why frontier is moving terminals?
 
MSP74702
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:46 pm

Looks like JetBlue is trying to drop MSP, sad. I flew them a couple times out of MSP and really liked them.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:20 am

MSP74702 wrote:
Looks like JetBlue is trying to drop MSP, sad. I flew them a couple times out of MSP and really liked them.


Temporarily?
 
MSP74702
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:48 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
MSP74702 wrote:
Looks like JetBlue is trying to drop MSP, sad. I flew them a couple times out of MSP and really liked them.


Temporarily?

Yes. Sorry I misread it, looks like they want to temporarily discontinue service to MSP and 10 other U.S airports until this whole coronavirus is over.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:53 am

I hope the DOT tells B6 to go pound sand.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:20 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I hope the DOT tells B6 to go pound sand.


Why? It's a temporary suspension. It's among a dozen cities proposed, including DFW and IAH. I'd be surprised if they didn't intend to restore service -- not that it matters, because if they'd like to drop one or more cities, it'll eventually happen. But status quo, few people are flying, and removing empty flights is a good thing IMO. I'm just amazed at the affinity people have to their home airport, letting it impact their rationality; for example, I've read on here where people are upset that Gators Creek, GA lost its 320 service to ATL... while completely ignoring the fact that these flights have nobody on them to begin with.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:39 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
I hope the DOT tells B6 to go pound sand.


Why? It's a temporary suspension. It's among a dozen cities proposed, including DFW and IAH. I'd be surprised if they didn't intend to restore service -- not that it matters, because if they'd like to drop one or more cities, it'll eventually happen. But status quo, few people are flying, and removing empty flights is a good thing IMO. I'm just amazed at the affinity people have to their home airport, letting it impact their rationality; for example, I've read on here where people are upset that Gators Creek, GA lost its 320 service to ATL... while completely ignoring the fact that these flights have nobody on them to begin with.


B6 took the bailout money and should abide by the same conditions as the other carriers. If they only wanna fly to these cities 3x week and/or do tag flights like some other carriers are doing that is fine but B6 should not be allowed to temporarily drop cities if no one else is.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:35 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
I hope the DOT tells B6 to go pound sand.


Why? It's a temporary suspension. It's among a dozen cities proposed, including DFW and IAH. I'd be surprised if they didn't intend to restore service -- not that it matters, because if they'd like to drop one or more cities, it'll eventually happen. But status quo, few people are flying, and removing empty flights is a good thing IMO. I'm just amazed at the affinity people have to their home airport, letting it impact their rationality; for example, I've read on here where people are upset that Gators Creek, GA lost its 320 service to ATL... while completely ignoring the fact that these flights have nobody on them to begin with.


I’ll be honest, I don’t see why B6 flies here at all, other than for their New England originating frequent flyer base. One city doesn’t draw me to them, plus bag fees. Don’t get me wrong, all for competition but I just don’t see the point of one city.

As for the temp suspension, why can’t they drop it for a while? I didn’t think you had to maintain all cities if you took the money...
 
tphuang
Posts: 5354
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:41 pm

We will see what DOT tells B6, but imo aside from PR flights, which should be exempted for obvious reason, they should continue to fly to all these other cities if they want to get the bailout grants. It's not fair for big 4 airlines to fly everywhere still and the smaller carriers exempted from that. The smaller carriers have already received a huge gift with the latest changes.
 
User avatar
enilria
Posts: 10284
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:14 pm

tphuang wrote:
We will see what DOT tells B6, but imo aside from PR flights, which should be exempted for obvious reason, they should continue to fly to all these other cities if they want to get the bailout grants. It's not fair for big 4 airlines to fly everywhere still and the smaller carriers exempted from that. The smaller carriers have already received a huge gift with the latest changes.

B6 posted into the docket this morning that they spoke to airport directors at all impacted stations and none of them stated that they would object.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:28 am

usflyer msp wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
I hope the DOT tells B6 to go pound sand.


Why? It's a temporary suspension. It's among a dozen cities proposed, including DFW and IAH. I'd be surprised if they didn't intend to restore service -- not that it matters, because if they'd like to drop one or more cities, it'll eventually happen. But status quo, few people are flying, and removing empty flights is a good thing IMO. I'm just amazed at the affinity people have to their home airport, letting it impact their rationality; for example, I've read on here where people are upset that Gators Creek, GA lost its 320 service to ATL... while completely ignoring the fact that these flights have nobody on them to begin with.


B6 took the bailout money and should abide by the same conditions as the other carriers. If they only wanna fly to these cities 3x week and/or do tag flights like some other carriers are doing that is fine but B6 should not be allowed to temporarily drop cities if no one else is.


B6 has applied for the bailout money, as has NK and most other airlines. NK has already suspended service to numerous communities and will probably seek an exemption as well. Soon, other airlines will follow.
Passenger traffic is down 95% YOY at MSP (similar to the national average) and yet scheduled physical capacity is down roughly 70%. Airlines need to be more aggressive in cutting service, and if few people are flying to/from MSP on B6, they should be able to suspend service.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3865
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:18 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
WidebodyPTV wrote:

Why? It's a temporary suspension. It's among a dozen cities proposed, including DFW and IAH. I'd be surprised if they didn't intend to restore service -- not that it matters, because if they'd like to drop one or more cities, it'll eventually happen. But status quo, few people are flying, and removing empty flights is a good thing IMO. I'm just amazed at the affinity people have to their home airport, letting it impact their rationality; for example, I've read on here where people are upset that Gators Creek, GA lost its 320 service to ATL... while completely ignoring the fact that these flights have nobody on them to begin with.


B6 took the bailout money and should abide by the same conditions as the other carriers. If they only wanna fly to these cities 3x week and/or do tag flights like some other carriers are doing that is fine but B6 should not be allowed to temporarily drop cities if no one else is.


B6 has applied for the bailout money, as has NK and most other airlines. NK has already suspended service to numerous communities and will probably seek an exemption as well. Soon, other airlines will follow.
Passenger traffic is down 95% YOY at MSP (similar to the national average) and yet scheduled physical capacity is down roughly 70%. Airlines need to be more aggressive in cutting service, and if few people are flying to/from MSP on B6, they should be able to suspend service.


I disagree. If B6 (and NK) did not like the clearly stated conditions, it should have not applied for the bailout funding. Exceptions should be only be made on a very limited basis for extraordinary reasons - "we don't have that many flights" or "we don't want to pay our contractors" is not such an excuse.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Minneapolis Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:32 pm

Always an exception and I’m sure DOT will grant it

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos