Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:58 pm

Looks like YVR/YEG-IAH go to redeyes in March. Not what Id prefer but I gather they are trying to improve aircraft utilization and perhaps cater to Central America connections.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7241
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:48 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
Air India is near broke ... I doubt the Houston skies will see any Air India jets anytime in the near future.

I do find it most curious UA cannot make money on a route IAH CDG when I presume CO did for years.

CO served it since the 80s, and then it took off when they joined Sky Team in the 00s. United immediately after the merger was a lot more conservative than United today and felt that CDG was better served through EWR, ORD, IAD, and eventually SFO which timing-wise replaced IAH-CDG. United today is a lot more aggressive and ambitious, I can see IAH-CDG returning in the not too distant future on a 787.

As another poster said, CDG is well served in Latin America, but UA has a very extensive network in Mexico which isnt anything to write off where the smaller cities don't have intercontinental service at all. The hard part is breaking the FF and corporate contract grip that AF has, Schlumberger being the largest by far, plus AFs African network.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7241
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:27 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
Air India is near broke ... I doubt the Houston skies will see any Air India jets anytime in the near future.

I do find it most curious UA cannot make money on a route IAH CDG when I presume CO did for years.

CO served it since the 80s, and then it took off when they joined Sky Team in the 00s. United immediately after the merger was a lot more conservative than United today and felt that CDG was better served through EWR, ORD, IAD, and eventually SFO which timing-wise replaced IAH-CDG. United today is a lot more aggressive and ambitious, I can see IAH-CDG returning in the not too distant future on a 787.

As another poster said, CDG is well served in Latin America, but UA has a very extensive network in Mexico which isnt anything to write off where the smaller cities don't have intercontinental service at all. The hard part is breaking the FF and corporate contract grip that AF has, Schlumberger being the largest by far, plus AFs African network.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
YYZORD
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Looks like YVR/YEG-IAH go to redeyes in March. Not what Id prefer but I gather they are trying to improve aircraft utilization and perhaps cater to Central America connections.


Makes me wonder why AC doesn't add YVR-IAH to compliment the current UA service. I thought AC was trying to build YVR as their trans pacific hub.
 
Rampageric77
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -canceled/

I am guessing this is case of people claiming any big plane is a 747, but does anyone have any idea what was equipment subbed for this?
 
IAHWorldflyer
Posts: 852
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Rampageric77 wrote:
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/01/11/texans-fans-headed-to-kansas-city-get-exclusive-upgrade-after-flight-is-canceled/

I am guessing this is case of people claiming any big plane is a 747, but does anyone have any idea what was equipment subbed for this?



Yeah, Flightaware shows a UA 764 as a charter up there and back. I guess that any plane with 2 aisles counts as a 747 to the media.
 
Rampageric77
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Rampageric77 wrote:
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/01/11/texans-fans-headed-to-kansas-city-get-exclusive-upgrade-after-flight-is-canceled/

I am guessing this is case of people claiming any big plane is a 747, but does anyone have any idea what was equipment subbed for this?



Yeah, Flightaware shows a UA 764 as a charter up there and back. I guess that any plane with 2 aisles counts as a 747 to the media.



I saw the 764 but it didn’t match the Friday timing in the article. The 764 charter makes sense though given the game time.
 
User avatar
drerx7
Posts: 4400
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:19 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:32 pm

ALLEGIANT ANNOUNCES LARGEST SERVICE EXPANSION IN COMPANY HISTORY WITH 3 NEW CITIES AND 44 NONSTOP ROUTES

New destinations Boston, Chicago and Houston headline this major expansion, with introductory fares on all new routes as low as $33*

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 14, 2020 — Allegiant (NASDAQ: ALGT) today announces 44 new nonstop routes, including 14 routes to three new cities: Chicago, Boston and Houston. To celebrate the largest expansion in Allegiant’s history, the company is offering one-way fares on the new routes as low as $33.*

This major addition to service is driven by Allegiant’s goal of connecting leisure travelers in underserved cities to popular destinations around the country. Most of the 44 new routes are non-competitive, with no other airline providing service between those airports.

“There is a lot of leisure demand for cities that are regional destinations, and this route expansion will address some of that need,” said Drew Wells, Allegiant vice president of planning and revenue. “Also, this growth is about Allegiant being true to our mission as a company. We’re increasing the number of low-cost, affordable travel options for people who may otherwise be priced out of air travel.”

The new seasonal routes to Nashville International Airport (BNA) include: BZN, FSD, ORF, PIT, PIA, TUL, FAR, FNT, GSO

The new seasonal routes to Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) include: GRR, AVL, TYS, VPS

The new seasonal routes from Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW) include: ABE, DSM, SAV, AVL, TYS, VPS

The new seasonal routes to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) include: DSM, AVL, TYS, GRR

The new seasonal routes from Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) include: BOS, MDW, HOU, AUS

The new seasonal routes from Des Moines International Airport (DSM) include: MDW, MEM, AUS

The new seasonal routes from Gerald R. Ford Airport (GRR) include: LAX, BOS, AUS

The new seasonal routes from McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) include: BOS, HOU, MDW, AUS, MYR

The new seasonal routes from William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) include: TYS, AVL, SAV, VPS

The new seasonal routes to Savannah International Airport (SAV) include: BLV, HOU, MDW, PGD, SWF

The new seasonal routes to Norfolk International Airport (ORF) include: PIT, LCK, BNA

The new seasonal routes to Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) include: BNA, ORF, MEM

The new seasonal routes to Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport (VPS) include: BOS, DAY, HOU, MDW, SWF

The new seasonal routes from Memphis International Airport (MEM) include: DSM, PBI, PIT, CVG

The new seasonal routes from Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR) include: PGD, TYS, ELM

The new seasonal route from Louisville International Airport (SDF) to Charleston International Airport (CHS) begins May 22, 2020 with fares as low as $55.*

The new seasonal route from Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB) to Albuquerque International Airport (ABQ) begins June 4, 2020 with fares as low as $66.*
HOUSTON, TEXAS
 
jplatts
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:50 pm

drerx7 wrote:
The new seasonal routes from William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) include: TYS, AVL, SAV, VPS


G4 had also stated that it had plans to add nonstop international flights out of HOU in an application that G4 made to the DOT for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity and for Exemption Authority (which can be found at https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2019-0067-0001).
 
jplatts
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:54 pm

There might be a need for at least 1 additional international gate at Hobby with G4 and WN both having plans to add more nonstop international flights out of Hobby Airport.

Is there enough room to accommodate the additional G4 and WN flights out of the 5 existing gates in the international concourse at Hobby, or will the international concourse at Hobby need to be expanded to accommodate the additional G4 and WN international flights out of HOU?
 
COflyerBOS
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Nice to see a new carrier at Hobby. I keep thinking Sun Country would be a good fit with a daily flight to MSP that goes somewhere in Mexico and back.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 pm

COflyerBOS wrote:
Nice to see a new carrier at Hobby. I keep thinking Sun Country would be a good fit with a daily flight to MSP that goes somewhere in Mexico and back.


While I agree that SY re-adding HOU-MSP nonstop service is a possibility, WN adding HOU-MSP nonstop service is also a possibility with MSP being one of the largest markets that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from HOU. MSP is also the largest WN station in the Midwest that doesn't already have nonstop service out of HOU on WN.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3187
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 pm

YYZORD wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Looks like YVR/YEG-IAH go to redeyes in March. Not what Id prefer but I gather they are trying to improve aircraft utilization and perhaps cater to Central America connections.


Makes me wonder why AC doesn't add YVR-IAH to compliment the current UA service. I thought AC was trying to build YVR as their trans pacific hub.


dont forget, any scheduling is done by UA and AC together, so its solely based on what the two airlines decide to schedule vs. AC doing so on their own.
 
LightChop2Chop
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 pm

HOU TYS should be interesting. what would be driving this demand? Cruise traffic at Galveston?
 
User avatar
b727fan
Posts: 257
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:54 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 pm

I really think IAH needs a couple of more European and Asian destinations (at least on seasonal basis). Houston is not only a giant corporate city, but has a substantial diverse population and it is very much growing.
I wouldn't be surprised if Turkish increase their frequency (maybe offering competitive connections to sub-continent + MENA). TAP is definitely plausible for connecting LATAM via IAH from the Iberian peninsula as an alternative to MAI for the star alliance.
In any case, the improvements at IAH are much over due and certainly a welcome change.
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 pm

CALMSP wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Looks like YVR/YEG-IAH go to redeyes in March. Not what Id prefer but I gather they are trying to improve aircraft utilization and perhaps cater to Central America connections.


Makes me wonder why AC doesn't add YVR-IAH to compliment the current UA service. I thought AC was trying to build YVR as their trans pacific hub.


dont forget, any scheduling is done by UA and AC together, so its solely based on what the two airlines decide to schedule vs. AC doing so on their own.


Is it? I didn’t think AC and UA had a JV on transborder?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 pm

b727fan wrote:
I really think IAH needs a couple of more European and Asian destinations (at least on seasonal basis). Houston is not only a giant corporate city, but has a substantial diverse population and it is very much growing.
I wouldn't be surprised if Turkish increase their frequency (maybe offering competitive connections to sub-continent + MENA). TAP is definitely plausible for connecting LATAM via IAH from the Iberian peninsula as an alternative to MAI for the star alliance.
In any case, the improvements at IAH are much over due and certainly a welcome change.


Houston is very diverse and it is a giant corporate city but I don’t know that it leads to more service at this point.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
COflyerBOS
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:02 pm

I think TYS is more about Houstonians escaping summer heat and heading to the Smoky Mountains. Similar to AVL.
 
FlyingSicilian
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

Is it? I didn’t think AC and UA had a JV on transborder?


IIRC they do, but there are a few carve-outs one in particular was Calgary-Houston so AC and UA technically compete on that route, again IIRC.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"
 
jplatts
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:24 pm

There are some markets served by both WN and G4 that don't currently have nonstop service out of Houston Hobby, including the following:
ALB, BOI, BUF/IAG, CVG, CLE, DSM, RSW/PGD, GRR, GSP, ORF, PVD, RNO, RIC, ROC, PBI, and ICT

WN needs to defend HOU against possible adds by G4 as WN has an FF base in Greater Houston end plus connecting feed from AUS, SAT, CRP, and HRL to support additional domestic routes out of HOU.
 
aircountry
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 am

Any update about TAP to IAH?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2674
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:54 am

aircountry wrote:
Any update about TAP to IAH?


What was the list? Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, and Montreal? I don't think any of those have happened...
 
aircountry
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54 am

Ishrion wrote:
aircountry wrote:
Any update about TAP to IAH?


What was the list? Atlanta, Houston, Los Angeles, and Montreal? I don't think any of those have happened...


yes it was on the list see the website https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/t ... 77.article
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:37 am

Do you guys expect Andrew Levy's temporarily named "Houston Air" to be based out of IAH or HOU?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7241
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:
Do you guys expect Andrew Levy's temporarily named "Houston Air" to be based out of IAH or HOU?

I’d imagine there’s more available gate space in IAH despite UA squatting in A than in HOU. Slightly ot, but is there any news of Levys venture? Also, any predictions on how Breeze will serve SE Texas?
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:06 am

TWA772LR wrote:
caribbeanSwag wrote:
Do you guys expect Andrew Levy's temporarily named "Houston Air" to be based out of IAH or HOU?

I’d imagine there’s more available gate space in IAH despite UA squatting in A than in HOU. Slightly ot, but is there any news of Levys venture? Also, any predictions on how Breeze will serve SE Texas?


I'm not sure what's the latest you've seen, but the last that has came out in February, where he secured $125 million in capital. The airline has also leased out at least one Boeing 737-800 which Levy has stated will be the airplane of choice for the entire fleet. He plans on having possible focus cities in Vegas and "a vacation destination in Florida". Plans called to use his leased jets over the summer for charter flights, and beginning commercial service later since year. Due to COVID-19, I would imagine it got delayed. He plans to "organically grow" which is considered hard to due in the airline industry, but I can see it possibly happen if he invests enough in a hub. The current headquarters is at 3262 Westheimer Rd next to the UPS store (which will obviously change as things get rolling).

I also predict IAH as the base, for the same reasons you stated. It will likely reach an agreement to share gates in Terminal A with United and Spirit and as part of the agreement, gates throughout IAH may get utilized.
 
caribbeanSwag
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:57 am

IAH is gaining two destinations in Mississippi. AA's EAS contract to Meridian and Hattiesburg ended and UA was awarded the renewal. Flights start July 1.
 
User avatar
AVENSAB727
Topic Author
Posts: 1386
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:21 am

    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    IAH is gaining two destinations in Mississippi. AA's EAS contract to Meridian and Hattiesburg ended and UA was awarded the renewal. Flights start July 1.

    Good news! Always nice to see a ray of light in these stormy times. The demolition of the old terminal C North is well underway, good to see things progress in the Terminal D rebuild, and this slowdown is a good time to do it. Once this blows over, I hope that IAH will recover some ground this year.
    Always look on the bright side of Life!
     
    Okcflyer
    Posts: 639
    Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:15 pm

    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    TWA772LR wrote:
    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    Do you guys expect Andrew Levy's temporarily named "Houston Air" to be based out of IAH or HOU?

    I’d imagine there’s more available gate space in IAH despite UA squatting in A than in HOU. Slightly ot, but is there any news of Levys venture? Also, any predictions on how Breeze will serve SE Texas?


    I'm not sure what's the latest you've seen, but the last that has came out in February, where he secured $125 million in capital. The airline has also leased out at least one Boeing 737-800 which Levy has stated will be the airplane of choice for the entire fleet. He plans on having possible focus cities in Vegas and "a vacation destination in Florida". Plans called to use his leased jets over the summer for charter flights, and beginning commercial service later since year. Due to COVID-19, I would imagine it got delayed. He plans to "organically grow" which is considered hard to due in the airline industry, but I can see it possibly happen if he invests enough in a hub. The current headquarters is at 3262 Westheimer Rd next to the UPS store (which will obviously change as things get rolling).

    I also predict IAH as the base, for the same reasons you stated. It will likely reach an agreement to share gates in Terminal A with United and Spirit and as part of the agreement, gates throughout IAH may get utilized.


    I’ve been informed the deal is suspended.
     
    bravotango75
    Posts: 103
    Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 5:14 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:54 pm

    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.
     
    tkoenig95
    Posts: 313
    Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:39 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:05 pm

    It might be a while until the international roster fill back to its pre-COVID level, but it will get back to its original level nonetheless. Ethiopian might be the biggest question mark, but the others will likely return within the next 18 months.
     
    caribbeanSwag
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:16 pm

    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Where'd you get this info? Seems like both are suspending their international network for a while. I know many of DFW's soon to start routes have been pushed back until further notice such as the Auckland route. American ruled it out for the remainder of the year.

    I haven't seen Emirates announce a return to either Texas city. Do you have a link? I saw Chicago but not DFW.
     
    CALMSP
    Posts: 3187
    Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:29 pm

    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Where'd you get this info? Seems like both are suspending their international network for a while. I know many of DFW's soon to start routes have been pushed back until further notice such as the Auckland route. American ruled it out for the remainder of the year.

    I haven't seen Emirates announce a return to either Texas city. Do you have a link? I saw Chicago but not DFW.


    airlineroute indicates DFW on June 1 with a 773 and IAH on August 1 with an A380
     
    User avatar
    ojjunior
    Posts: 951
    Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:34 am

    Meanwhile UA apparently reinstated IAH-GRU service on a daily basis since Apr, 10th with the 763.

    UA63 is airborne to IAH as we speak.

    UA63 from Sao Paulo to Houston https://fr24.com/UAL63/245e97d8
     
    Ishrion
    Posts: 2674
    Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:46 am

    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Qatar still flies to DFW but has decreased from daily, then 5x weekly, and now 3x weekly.

    Emirates was set to resume on May 1 but pushed back to June 1.

    Qantas is still in flux.

    I don't think JAL has a set return date?
     
    strfyr51
    Posts: 4900
    Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:59 am

    [quote="jplatts"][quote="AVENSAB727"]
    Predictions for 2020:
    [list]Southwest adds new destinations out of HOU, hopefully to PTY[/list][/quote]

    WN adding nonstop service to CVG, CLE, DTW, MSP, and ONT out of HOU might happen with CVG, CLE, DTW, MSP, and ONT being five of the top domestic destinations that do not currently have nonstop service out of HOU on WN.

    I had previously thought that WN adding HOU-SFO might happen with SFO being one of the top destinations that passengers were connecting to out of HOU on WN, but WN is less likely to add HOU-SFO nonstop service with WN recently increasing HOU-OAK to 3 daily nonstops, with WN dropping nonstop service to SFO out of AUS and DAL, and with WN reducing MKE-SFO seasonal nonstop service to Saturday-only in Summer 2020.

    WN adding HOU-LGB nonstop service is also a possibility if WN acquires extra slots at LGB with HOU being one of the top destinations traveled to from LAX on WN that isn't currently served nonstop from LGB.

    While it seems that WN pulling out of CRP might happen with CRP having the lowest load factors of any WN station in the U.S. in the January 2019 - September 2019 time period, I think that WN will probably continue to serve CRP nonstop from HOU with WN having served the CRP market for over 40 years. I am unsure why the demand for WN service out of CRP is weak when there is more demand for WN service out of markets that are smaller than population than CRP such as AMA, OGG, LBB, MAF, and ECP than there is out of CRP.

    WN might possibly be able to get slightly better load factors out of CRP by adding additional domestic nonstop routes out of HOU such as HOU-CVG/CLE/DTW/MSP/ONT.[/quote]
    Frankly? WN in SFO seems redundant with their Hub in OAK. Their Buildup at DEN Might be precluding a lot of other routes as if they need to go to SFO? they can get there from DEN. and not only that? But fan the west Coast out of DEN as well. The DEN Hub is their Master Stroke as it can be a funneling Hub to strike the west Coast at any location and Feed DEN to the East!
     
    caribbeanSwag
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:20 pm

    Okcflyer wrote:
    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    TWA772LR wrote:
    I’d imagine there’s more available gate space in IAH despite UA squatting in A than in HOU. Slightly ot, but is there any news of Levys venture? Also, any predictions on how Breeze will serve SE Texas?


    I'm not sure what's the latest you've seen, but the last that has came out in February, where he secured $125 million in capital. The airline has also leased out at least one Boeing 737-800 which Levy has stated will be the airplane of choice for the entire fleet. He plans on having possible focus cities in Vegas and "a vacation destination in Florida". Plans called to use his leased jets over the summer for charter flights, and beginning commercial service later since year. Due to COVID-19, I would imagine it got delayed. He plans to "organically grow" which is considered hard to due in the airline industry, but I can see it possibly happen if he invests enough in a hub. The current headquarters is at 3262 Westheimer Rd next to the UPS store (which will obviously change as things get rolling).

    I also predict IAH as the base, for the same reasons you stated. It will likely reach an agreement to share gates in Terminal A with United and Spirit and as part of the agreement, gates throughout IAH may get utilized.


    I’ve been informed the deal is suspended.


    What has been suspended? Levy is still running the company as of a few days ago. If you were talking about aircraft leasing, I wouldn't be surprised. First phase called for summer charter flights is not expected at this point. Now, it seems like Winter summer flights and a 2021 commence are the next steps.
     
    airlineaddict
    Posts: 384
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:37 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:39 pm

    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Given current oil prices, it may be a few months before demand returns from IAH.
     
    ScottB
    Posts: 6923
    Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:07 pm

    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Most of those carriers scheduling a return to DFW are members of oneworld. And, as mentioned in the post above, IAH is going to be in a world of hurt until oil prices recover from the attempt by the Saudis and Russians to obliterate U.S oil production.

    CALMSP wrote:
    airlineroute indicates DFW on June 1 with a 773 and IAH on August 1 with an A380


    I'd take anything published for more than a week out with a grain of salt at this time. Consider those placeholders subject to change.

    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    I also predict IAH as the base, for the same reasons you stated. It will likely reach an agreement to share gates in Terminal A with United and Spirit and as part of the agreement, gates throughout IAH may get utilized.


    If UA squats on gates in Terminal A, why exactly would they come to an agreement with an airline which would almost certainly operate in competition with United? The whole point of squatting on gates is to keep a competitor from using them.
     
    CALMSP
    Posts: 3187
    Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:41 pm

    ScottB wrote:
    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Most of those carriers scheduling a return to DFW are members of oneworld. And, as mentioned in the post above, IAH is going to be in a world of hurt until oil prices recover from the attempt by the Saudis and Russians to obliterate U.S oil production.

    CALMSP wrote:
    airlineroute indicates DFW on June 1 with a 773 and IAH on August 1 with an A380


    I'd take anything published for more than a week out with a grain of salt at this time. Consider those placeholders subject to change.



    regardless, I don't care if it is a placeholder or not, I'm simply sharing where this was published as a poster asked where this was listed for public viewing.
     
    hohd
    Posts: 903
    Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:36 pm

    DFW was designated as one of the 13 airports to receive/send international travelers for the present COVID 19 situation to control the number of airports in US.. At least for a month (until June), this will continue. Reason is that while IAH has more international traffic than DFW - Newark, ORD, IAD. LAX and San Francisco were already designated as one of 13, so adding IAH would make more UA dominant. To distribute airports based on airlines, DFW was chosen along with MIA, ORD and LAX for American.

    Once this situation stabilizes, IAH will regain most of the service back, even with low oil prices. In fact, when prices are low, there is more consolidation and generally the satellite offices get closed or reduced first, and Houston HQ is usually maintained or staffed up. Plus Houston is very diverse city, one of the most diverse (if not the most diverse) in US, so there always will be good international demand in Houston. See the list of 13 airports allowed temporarily.

    Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
    · Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
    · Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
    · Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
    · Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
    · Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
    · John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
    · Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
    · Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
    · Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
    · San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
    · Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
    · Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia
     
    caribbeanSwag
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 pm

    airlineaddict wrote:
    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Given current oil prices, it may be a few months before demand returns from IAH.


    1. That depends on the route, not all routes are oil related.

    2. The oil industry isn't the only one down. the entire economy as a whole is. All routes returned will be with expectations of not being the same yet.
     
    LAXdude1023
    Posts: 6121
    Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:09 am

    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    airlineaddict wrote:
    bravotango75 wrote:
    Looks like Houston is getting snubbed by many of the former int'l carriers that once operated there and yet DFW is seeing several airlines such as Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, JAL scheduling their returns. Sadly, the same is happening here in BOS, with the exception of Emirates, so I guess we are in the same boat, forgotten and tossed aside....tough being the 2nd banana.


    Given current oil prices, it may be a few months before demand returns from IAH.


    1. That depends on the route, not all routes are oil related.

    2. The oil industry isn't the only one down. the entire economy as a whole is. All routes returned will be with expectations of not being the same yet.


    This.

    What gets me is that people from outside this city are under the false impression that this city solely depends on energy (Houston is not the oil capital of the world, it is the ENERGY capital of the world). This isn’t 1986. Yes, there are routes flown from Houston that will be vulnerable in this environment (IAH-YEG/POS/YYC/TAM/VER on UA and SQ, ET, EK, and QR) but the rest are going to be fine including UAs network. That doesn’t mean we won’t lose a few long haul flights, but that will be true everywhere.
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
     
    caribbeanSwag
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:47 am

    LAXdude1023 wrote:
    caribbeanSwag wrote:
    airlineaddict wrote:

    Given current oil prices, it may be a few months before demand returns from IAH.


    1. That depends on the route, not all routes are oil related.

    2. The oil industry isn't the only one down. the entire economy as a whole is. All routes returned will be with expectations of not being the same yet.


    This.

    What gets me is that people from outside this city are under the false impression that this city solely depends on energy (Houston is not the oil capital of the world, it is the ENERGY capital of the world). This isn’t 1986. Yes, there are routes flown from Houston that will be vulnerable in this environment (IAH-YEG/POS/YYC/TAM/VER on UA and SQ, ET, EK, and QR) but the rest are going to be fine including UAs network. That doesn’t mean we won’t lose a few long haul flights, but that will be true everywhere.


    Hey, As Above So Below. About the routes, you're right but the only ones I possibly see IAH losing for low oil prices are TAM, VERand possibly YEG (but I wouldn't bet on this one). Only airline would possibly be ET (but wouldn't bet on this one as of now).

    YYC I would never see us losing no matter how low the price of oil is because both are white collar oil capitals, and there may be reduced demand but not enough. YEG I could potentially see since Edmonton is more blue collar than Calgary. Emirates and Qatar serve a lot more purposes than oil, they'll naturally reduce demand but they have more uses to make them up. Same for SQ.
     
    User avatar
    AVENSAB727
    Topic Author
    Posts: 1386
    Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:02 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:58 am

    The upside to all of this that IAH is taking advantage of this slowdown and getting started on rebuilding Terminal D.
    Always look on the bright side of Life!
     
    LH658
    Posts: 1111
    Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:59 pm

    I noticed they demolished Terminal C North gates such as C14 C16 and etc.
     
    ScottB
    Posts: 6923
    Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:11 pm

    LAXdude1023 wrote:
    What gets me is that people from outside this city are under the false impression that this city solely depends on energy (Houston is not the oil capital of the world, it is the ENERGY capital of the world). This isn’t 1986. Yes, there are routes flown from Houston that will be vulnerable in this environment (IAH-YEG/POS/YYC/TAM/VER on UA and SQ, ET, EK, and QR) but the rest are going to be fine including UAs network. That doesn’t mean we won’t lose a few long haul flights, but that will be true everywhere.


    I have close connections to Houston and I was there for the carnage of the mid-1980s. While referring to Houston as the world's energy capital is a nice spin and not inaccurate, the fact remains that petroleum exploration and production is still the key driver of premium international long-haul traffic to & from Houston. IMO EK and QR might be somewhat less vulnerable than the others you list since they can serve the VFR traffic for the large South Asian diaspora population in Houston -- assuming countries like India reopen their borders.
     
    caribbeanSwag
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 pm

    ScottB wrote:
    LAXdude1023 wrote:
    What gets me is that people from outside this city are under the false impression that this city solely depends on energy (Houston is not the oil capital of the world, it is the ENERGY capital of the world). This isn’t 1986. Yes, there are routes flown from Houston that will be vulnerable in this environment (IAH-YEG/POS/YYC/TAM/VER on UA and SQ, ET, EK, and QR) but the rest are going to be fine including UAs network. That doesn’t mean we won’t lose a few long haul flights, but that will be true everywhere.


    I have close connections to Houston and I was there for the carnage of the mid-1980s. While referring to Houston as the world's energy capital is a nice spin and not inaccurate, the fact remains that petroleum exploration and production is still the key driver of premium international long-haul traffic to & from Houston. IMO EK and QR might be somewhat less vulnerable than the others you list since they can serve the VFR traffic for the large South Asian diaspora population in Houston -- assuming countries like India reopen their borders.


    Houston right now is not even close to similar to how it was in the 1980s. You can’t look at what happened 40 years ago to determine what will happen now.
     
    caribbeanSwag
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:30 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:57 pm

    ScottB wrote:
    LAXdude1023 wrote:
    What gets me is that people from outside this city are under the false impression that this city solely depends on energy (Houston is not the oil capital of the world, it is the ENERGY capital of the world). This isn’t 1986. Yes, there are routes flown from Houston that will be vulnerable in this environment (IAH-YEG/POS/YYC/TAM/VER on UA and SQ, ET, EK, and QR) but the rest are going to be fine including UAs network. That doesn’t mean we won’t lose a few long haul flights, but that will be true everywhere.


    I have close connections to Houston and I was there for the carnage of the mid-1980s. While referring to Houston as the world's energy capital is a nice spin and not inaccurate, the fact remains that petroleum exploration and production is still the key driver of premium international long-haul traffic to & from Houston. IMO EK and QR might be somewhat less vulnerable than the others you list since they can serve the VFR traffic for the large South Asian diaspora population in Houston -- assuming countries like India reopen their borders.


    Houston right now is not even close to similar to how it was in the 1980s. You can’t look at what happened 40 years ago to determine what will happen now.
     
    LAXdude1023
    Posts: 6121
    Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

    Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

    Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 pm

    ScottB wrote:
    LAXdude1023 wrote:
    What gets me is that people from outside this city are under the false impression that this city solely depends on energy (Houston is not the oil capital of the world, it is the ENERGY capital of the world). This isn’t 1986. Yes, there are routes flown from Houston that will be vulnerable in this environment (IAH-YEG/POS/YYC/TAM/VER on UA and SQ, ET, EK, and QR) but the rest are going to be fine including UAs network. That doesn’t mean we won’t lose a few long haul flights, but that will be true everywhere.


    I have close connections to Houston and I was there for the carnage of the mid-1980s. While referring to Houston as the world's energy capital is a nice spin and not inaccurate, the fact remains that petroleum exploration and production is still the key driver of premium international long-haul traffic to & from Houston. IMO EK and QR might be somewhat less vulnerable than the others you list since they can serve the VFR traffic for the large South Asian diaspora population in Houston -- assuming countries like India reopen their borders.


    I think we should bring some data into this.

    The study below was done by Brookings. They identified the number of jobs in each metro that are vulnerable of being lost by the current instability. Here is what they came up with. Ill use other metros to compare:

    Houston: 19.4%
    Atlanta: 18.8%
    Miami: 18.7%
    Charlotte: 18.3%
    Dallas: 18.2%
    Chicago: 18.2%
    Los Angeles: 18.2%
    Phoenix: 18.0%

    Now, one could look and say that Houston has the largest percentage of jobs in danger (of that group) and that is technically correct. It, however, needs a lot of context to really process it. Its not like the current crisis is somehow going to drop a bomb on Houston and other metro areas arent going to be just as damaged isnt accurate. You do have some metro areas that look to be less at risk than these (San Jose has only 12.4% and Detroit has 14.7%) and you have some that are a lot worse (Las Vegas at 33.8% and Orlando at 27.3%), but most of the major metro areas are in a cluster between 15-20% jobs at risk meaning that most metro areas are going to get hit with similar levels of severity.

    https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-aven ... t-hardest/
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

    Popular Searches On Airliners.net

    Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

    Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

    Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

    Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

    Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

    Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

    Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

    Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

    Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

    Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

    Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

    Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

    Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

    Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

    Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos