TWA772LR

Re: Houston Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:48 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
Air India is near broke ... I doubt the Houston skies will see any Air India jets anytime in the near future.

I do find it most curious UA cannot make money on a route IAH CDG when I presume CO did for years.

CO served it since the 80s, and then it took off when they joined Sky Team in the 00s. United immediately after the merger was a lot more conservative than United today and felt that CDG was better served through EWR, ORD, IAD, and eventually SFO which timing-wise replaced IAH-CDG. United today is a lot more aggressive and ambitious, I can see IAH-CDG returning in the not too distant future on a 787.

As another poster said, CDG is well served in Latin America, but UA has a very extensive network in Mexico which isnt anything to write off where the smaller cities don't have intercontinental service at all. The hard part is breaking the FF and corporate contract grip that AF has, Schlumberger being the largest by far, plus AFs African network.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:27 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
Air India is near broke ... I doubt the Houston skies will see any Air India jets anytime in the near future.

I do find it most curious UA cannot make money on a route IAH CDG when I presume CO did for years.

CO served it since the 80s, and then it took off when they joined Sky Team in the 00s. United immediately after the merger was a lot more conservative than United today and felt that CDG was better served through EWR, ORD, IAD, and eventually SFO which timing-wise replaced IAH-CDG. United today is a lot more aggressive and ambitious, I can see IAH-CDG returning in the not too distant future on a 787.

As another poster said, CDG is well served in Latin America, but UA has a very extensive network in Mexico which isnt anything to write off where the smaller cities don't have intercontinental service at all. The hard part is breaking the FF and corporate contract grip that AF has, Schlumberger being the largest by far, plus AFs African network.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

YYZORD

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Looks like YVR/YEG-IAH go to redeyes in March. Not what Id prefer but I gather they are trying to improve aircraft utilization and perhaps cater to Central America connections.

Makes me wonder why AC doesn't add YVR-IAH to compliment the current UA service. I thought AC was trying to build YVR as their trans pacific hub.

Rampageric77

Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm

https://www.click2houston.com/news/loca ... -canceled/

I am guessing this is case of people claiming any big plane is a 747, but does anyone have any idea what was equipment subbed for this?

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Rampageric77 wrote:
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/01/11/texans-fans-headed-to-kansas-city-get-exclusive-upgrade-after-flight-is-canceled/

I am guessing this is case of people claiming any big plane is a 747, but does anyone have any idea what was equipment subbed for this?

Yeah, Flightaware shows a UA 764 as a charter up there and back. I guess that any plane with 2 aisles counts as a 747 to the media.

Rampageric77

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:48 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
Rampageric77 wrote:
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/01/11/texans-fans-headed-to-kansas-city-get-exclusive-upgrade-after-flight-is-canceled/

Yeah, Flightaware shows a UA 764 as a charter up there and back. I guess that any plane with 2 aisles counts as a 747 to the media.

I saw the 764 but it didn’t match the Friday timing in the article. The 764 charter makes sense though given the game time.

drerx7

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:32 pm

ALLEGIANT ANNOUNCES LARGEST SERVICE EXPANSION IN COMPANY HISTORY WITH 3 NEW CITIES AND 44 NONSTOP ROUTES

New destinations Boston, Chicago and Houston headline this major expansion, with introductory fares on all new routes as low as $33*

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 14, 2020 — Allegiant (NASDAQ: ALGT) today announces 44 new nonstop routes, including 14 routes to three new cities: Chicago, Boston and Houston. To celebrate the largest expansion in Allegiant’s history, the company is offering one-way fares on the new routes as low as $33.*

This major addition to service is driven by Allegiant’s goal of connecting leisure travelers in underserved cities to popular destinations around the country. Most of the 44 new routes are non-competitive, with no other airline providing service between those airports.

“There is a lot of leisure demand for cities that are regional destinations, and this route expansion will address some of that need,” said Drew Wells, Allegiant vice president of planning and revenue. “Also, this growth is about Allegiant being true to our mission as a company. We’re increasing the number of low-cost, affordable travel options for people who may otherwise be priced out of air travel.”

The new seasonal routes to Nashville International Airport (BNA) include: BZN, FSD, ORF, PIT, PIA, TUL, FAR, FNT, GSO

The new seasonal routes to Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) include: GRR, AVL, TYS, VPS

The new seasonal routes from Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW) include: ABE, DSM, SAV, AVL, TYS, VPS

The new seasonal routes to Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) include: DSM, AVL, TYS, GRR

The new seasonal routes from Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) include: BOS, MDW, HOU, AUS

The new seasonal routes from Des Moines International Airport (DSM) include: MDW, MEM, AUS

The new seasonal routes from Gerald R. Ford Airport (GRR) include: LAX, BOS, AUS

The new seasonal routes from McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) include: BOS, HOU, MDW, AUS, MYR

The new seasonal routes from William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) include: TYS, AVL, SAV, VPS

The new seasonal routes to Savannah International Airport (SAV) include: BLV, HOU, MDW, PGD, SWF

The new seasonal routes to Norfolk International Airport (ORF) include: PIT, LCK, BNA

The new seasonal routes to Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) include: BNA, ORF, MEM

The new seasonal routes to Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport (VPS) include: BOS, DAY, HOU, MDW, SWF

The new seasonal routes from Memphis International Airport (MEM) include: DSM, PBI, PIT, CVG

The new seasonal routes from Myrtle Beach International Airport (MYR) include: PGD, TYS, ELM

The new seasonal route from Louisville International Airport (SDF) to Charleston International Airport (CHS) begins May 22, 2020 with fares as low as $55.*

The new seasonal route from Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB) to Albuquerque International Airport (ABQ) begins June 4, 2020 with fares as low as $66.*
HOUSTON, TEXAS

jplatts

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:50 pm

drerx7 wrote:
The new seasonal routes from William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) include: TYS, AVL, SAV, VPS

G4 had also stated that it had plans to add nonstop international flights out of HOU in an application that G4 made to the DOT for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity and for Exemption Authority (which can be found at https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2019-0067-0001).

jplatts

Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:54 pm

There might be a need for at least 1 additional international gate at Hobby with G4 and WN both having plans to add more nonstop international flights out of Hobby Airport.

Is there enough room to accommodate the additional G4 and WN flights out of the 5 existing gates in the international concourse at Hobby, or will the international concourse at Hobby need to be expanded to accommodate the additional G4 and WN international flights out of HOU?

COflyerBOS

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Nice to see a new carrier at Hobby. I keep thinking Sun Country would be a good fit with a daily flight to MSP that goes somewhere in Mexico and back.

jplatts

Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 pm

COflyerBOS wrote:
Nice to see a new carrier at Hobby. I keep thinking Sun Country would be a good fit with a daily flight to MSP that goes somewhere in Mexico and back.

While I agree that SY re-adding HOU-MSP nonstop service is a possibility, WN adding HOU-MSP nonstop service is also a possibility with MSP being one of the largest markets that WN doesn't currently serve nonstop from HOU. MSP is also the largest WN station in the Midwest that doesn't already have nonstop service out of HOU on WN.

CALMSP

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 pm

YYZORD wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Looks like YVR/YEG-IAH go to redeyes in March. Not what Id prefer but I gather they are trying to improve aircraft utilization and perhaps cater to Central America connections.

Makes me wonder why AC doesn't add YVR-IAH to compliment the current UA service. I thought AC was trying to build YVR as their trans pacific hub.

dont forget, any scheduling is done by UA and AC together, so its solely based on what the two airlines decide to schedule vs. AC doing so on their own.

LightChop2Chop

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 pm

HOU TYS should be interesting. what would be driving this demand? Cruise traffic at Galveston?

b727fan

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:27 pm

I really think IAH needs a couple of more European and Asian destinations (at least on seasonal basis). Houston is not only a giant corporate city, but has a substantial diverse population and it is very much growing.
I wouldn't be surprised if Turkish increase their frequency (maybe offering competitive connections to sub-continent + MENA). TAP is definitely plausible for connecting LATAM via IAH from the Iberian peninsula as an alternative to MAI for the star alliance.
In any case, the improvements at IAH are much over due and certainly a welcome change.

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 pm

CALMSP wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

dont forget, any scheduling is done by UA and AC together, so its solely based on what the two airlines decide to schedule vs. AC doing so on their own.

Is it? I didn’t think AC and UA had a JV on transborder?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 pm

b727fan wrote:
I really think IAH needs a couple of more European and Asian destinations (at least on seasonal basis). Houston is not only a giant corporate city, but has a substantial diverse population and it is very much growing.
I wouldn't be surprised if Turkish increase their frequency (maybe offering competitive connections to sub-continent + MENA). TAP is definitely plausible for connecting LATAM via IAH from the Iberian peninsula as an alternative to MAI for the star alliance.
In any case, the improvements at IAH are much over due and certainly a welcome change.

Houston is very diverse and it is a giant corporate city but I don’t know that it leads to more service at this point.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

COflyerBOS

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:02 pm

I think TYS is more about Houstonians escaping summer heat and heading to the Smoky Mountains. Similar to AVL.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

Is it? I didn’t think AC and UA had a JV on transborder?

IIRC they do, but there are a few carve-outs one in particular was Calgary-Houston so AC and UA technically compete on that route, again IIRC.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos