Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 14
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8250
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:56 am

Most companies are continuing to extend remote work and travel restrictions beyond what they thought would be early September now until the end of the year. Due in part to the continuing spread of the virus but also to help families deal with the start of the school year in what is increasing going to be remote and home learning. Also so many people have left NYC for the time being living with parents, access to family vacation properties, or renting places in more remote places for the summer and now into fall.
 
Lootess
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:14 am

ATL-HND should be able to return, with SEA-AMS back online, they might not be in a rush to re-add LHR.

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Most companies are continuing to extend remote work and travel restrictions beyond what they thought would be early September now until the end of the year. Due in part to the continuing spread of the virus but also to help families deal with the start of the school year in what is increasing going to be remote and home learning. Also so many people have left NYC for the time being living with parents, access to family vacation properties, or renting places in more remote places for the summer and now into fall.


Companies are also not going to deal with designation states mandating quarantines from their state, they'll just stay home. Soon enough no one outside of New York will be able to visit that state.
 
panamair
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:28 am

rjbesikof wrote:
What Intl routes is Delta reinstating in August?
I know Atlanta and LAX to HND. Any others?


So far, 1x daily JFK-LHR and 3x weekly JFK-MXP as well.
 
PhilMcCrackin
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:13 am

I find it interesting DL is continuing to fly LAX-SYD, considering QF isn't flying to the US and it's damn near impossible for anyone other than an Australian citizen to get into OZ right now.
 
panamair
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:24 am

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
I find it interesting DL is continuing to fly LAX-SYD, considering QF isn't flying to the US and it's damn near impossible for anyone other than an Australian citizen to get into OZ right now.


It's primarily for the cargo; pre-crisis, the flight was already a good cargo performer anyway.
 
DeltaMD95
Posts: 555
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:37 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 pm

Has the 763ER ORD-DTW tag-on (for cargo purposes) as part of DTW-LHR (if I’m not mistaken), already been discontinued? I was looking to book this rare short haul domestic widebody, but can no longer seem to find it in the schedule.
Did you know that a Boeing 717-200 is really a McDonnell Douglas MD95-30? ;-)
 
MrPeanut
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:09 am

jplatts wrote:
kavok wrote:
Interesting.
Network wise DL has been pretty quiet as of late, and is letting AA make all of the big moves. Though this is a sharp observation in regards to DAL, and arguably is a low hanging fruit opportunity with minimal risk and potentially high return for DL. If nothing else, it probably could help their lawsuit case if they are being denied gate usage to unused gates.


There is a market for LGA-DAL nonstop service on DL, even with WN already serving DAL nonstop from LGA, with there being some business travel between NYC and Downtown Dallas due to companies in the banking, accounting, and auditing industries with offices in both Manhattan and Downtown Dallas such as Chase Bank, Bank of America, KPMG, PWC, Deloitte, and Ernst & Young.

LGA can also likely support nonstop service to DAL on more than just WN with VX and AS having previously served DAL nonstop from LGA. DL is also more likely to be successful on LGA-DAL than AS was due to DL having a much bigger FF base in the NYC market.

There is also a market for DTW-DAL nonstop service on DL, even with WN having plans to resume DTW-DAL nonstop service, due to some business travel between Greater Detroit and Downtown Dallas with Comerica Bank having its headquarters in Downtown Dallas, with Comerica Bank having its former headquarters in Detroit, and with Comerica Bank still having many branches in the Detroit area.

There are also some business travelers in both the Detroit and NYC markets who would choose to fly into DAL instead of DFW if DL adds DAL-DTW/LGA nonstop service with DAL being closer to Downtown Dallas than DFW is.


If DL decides on Dallas / NYC, I can't help but think DFW is the better option than DAL. Average fares out of DFW are about $100 higher than DAL.

Network wise, however, AA has to be the one to make the moves right now. I don't think many people realize how bad half of AA's hubs perform relative to their competitor's hubs. Its actually quite eye opening when you look at the data available. Part of AA's problem is that they have 10 hubs and never rationalized after the merger with US. Therefore, instead of focusing on strengthening 7 or 8 key hubs, they spread their resources over 10 hubs resulting in 5ish marginal hubs.
 
AZORMP
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:11 am

DeltaMD95 wrote:
Has the 763ER ORD-DTW tag-on (for cargo purposes) as part of DTW-LHR (if I’m not mistaken), already been discontinued? I was looking to book this rare short haul domestic widebody, but can no longer seem to find it in the schedule.


Attached is the Delta Cargo Widebody schedule for August.
Kalamazoo’s Radio Man

The RJ2 sucks.
 
goboeing
Posts: 2572
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 5:31 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:16 pm

AZORMP wrote:
DeltaMD95 wrote:
Has the 763ER ORD-DTW tag-on (for cargo purposes) as part of DTW-LHR (if I’m not mistaken), already been discontinued? I was looking to book this rare short haul domestic widebody, but can no longer seem to find it in the schedule.


Attached is the Delta Cargo Widebody schedule for August.


Not seeing it, can you try posting again?
 
Ishrion
Posts: 3052
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:20 pm

goboeing wrote:
AZORMP wrote:
DeltaMD95 wrote:
Has the 763ER ORD-DTW tag-on (for cargo purposes) as part of DTW-LHR (if I’m not mistaken), already been discontinued? I was looking to book this rare short haul domestic widebody, but can no longer seem to find it in the schedule.


Attached is the Delta Cargo Widebody schedule for August.


Not seeing it, can you try posting again?


Here https://www.deltacargo.com/content/dam/ ... ?from=home
 
jplatts
Posts: 3794
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:50 pm

MrPeanut wrote:
If DL decides on Dallas / NYC, I can't help but think DFW is the better option than DAL. Average fares out of DFW are about $100 higher than DAL.


DL was actually wanting to add 8 additional flights out of DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic if it gained access to additional gates at DAL, and there is room at DAL to accommodate additional DL flights with the cuts that WN has made at DAL due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

While DL already serves DFW nonstop from LGA, I had mentioned DL adding LGA-DAL nonstop service as a possibility due to
(a) Downtown Dallas being a major business destination for companies in the banking, finance, auditing, and accounting industries that have offices in both Manhattan and Downtown Dallas such as Chase Bank, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG, and PWC,
(b) DAL being closer to Downtown Dallas than DFW, and
(c) DL wanting to add more flights out of DAL if there was enough room.

Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors of VX/AS DAL-LGA in 2016, 2017, and 2018:
VX DAL-LGA in 2016: 245138 passengers, 301556 seats, 81.29% load factor
VX/AS DAL-LGA in 2017: 181074 passengers, 215140 seats, 84.17% load factor
AS DAL-LGA in 2018: 132772 passengers, 156940 seats, 84.60% load factor

DL can probably do better on LGA-DAL nonstop service than VX or AS did once demand and fares return to normal levels with DL having a much bigger customer base in the NYC market than AS does. There are also some DL FF's in the NYC market who would choose to fly into DAL instead of DFW if DL adds LGA-DAL nonstop service with DAL being closer to Downtown Dallas.
 
gsg013
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:03 pm

jplatts wrote:
MrPeanut wrote:
If DL decides on Dallas / NYC, I can't help but think DFW is the better option than DAL. Average fares out of DFW are about $100 higher than DAL.


DL was actually wanting to add 8 additional flights out of DAL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic if it gained access to additional gates at DAL, and there is room at DAL to accommodate additional DL flights with the cuts that WN has made at DAL due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

While DL already serves DFW nonstop from LGA, I had mentioned DL adding LGA-DAL nonstop service as a possibility due to
(a) Downtown Dallas being a major business destination for companies in the banking, finance, auditing, and accounting industries that have offices in both Manhattan and Downtown Dallas such as Chase Bank, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG, and PWC,
(b) DAL being closer to Downtown Dallas than DFW, and
(c) DL wanting to add more flights out of DAL if there was enough room.

Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors of VX/AS DAL-LGA in 2016, 2017, and 2018:
VX DAL-LGA in 2016: 245138 passengers, 301556 seats, 81.29% load factor
VX/AS DAL-LGA in 2017: 181074 passengers, 215140 seats, 84.17% load factor
AS DAL-LGA in 2018: 132772 passengers, 156940 seats, 84.60% load factor

DL can probably do better on LGA-DAL nonstop service than VX or AS did once demand and fares return to normal levels with DL having a much bigger customer base in the NYC market than AS does. There are also some DL FF's in the NYC market who would choose to fly into DAL instead of DFW if DL adds LGA-DAL nonstop service with DAL being closer to Downtown Dallas.


Back when VX was on the LGA-DAL route I would often chose to fly into love field over LGA-DFW. DAL is so much more convenient than DFW. I would only chose DFW if the fare was significantly lower. (I'm talking more that $150-200 RT difference). I am a loyal DL Platinum Medallion and usually chose DL. I could see post pandemic LGA-DAL on DL working out pretty well.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5435
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Looks like DL extended some more suspensions this weekend though Christmas:

SEA-IND/TPA/MCI
RDU-AUS/BNA/CLE/IND/PIT/CMH
CVG-STL/IAH/BDL/MCI (CVG-YYZ looks completely gone after December)
BOS-MEM/ORF/BUF/PBI/MIA
SLC-CMH/CLE/MSN
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
tjerome
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:03 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Looks like DL extended some more suspensions this weekend though Christmas:

SEA-IND/TPA/MCI
RDU-AUS/BNA/CLE/IND/PIT/CMH
CVG-STL/IAH/BDL/MCI (CVG-YYZ looks completely gone after December)
BOS-MEM/ORF/BUF/PBI/MIA
SLC-CMH/CLE/MSN


Not surprising on some of those. BOS-MEM was scheduled to start in October I believe, and DL will still serve BOS-FLL looks like so that should suffice in place of PBI/MIA.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:05 pm

MSNSLC is a little surprising to me. It's a route driven by business traffic, which obviously hasn't rebounded. But it's also the fastest way to the Mountain West, which is doing (relatively) better than other regions. Hopefully, it comes back in 2021...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Has anybody heard about Delta dropping Düsseldorf? They closed ATL-DUS and ATL-STR for the whole Winter, while ATL-STR is bookable again from summer ATL-DUS isnt.
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
x1234
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:40 pm

They should fly DTW-DUS instead like NW did with the B752. DUS is a automotive city and has lots of ties to Detroit.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8250
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:50 pm

"Dropping" a market is all relative in this low-tide demand environment. Nothing is every permenant either way in this industry.
I imagine there are a number of routes they have already determined they will not operate in Summer 2021 that they've cancelled inventory. Doesn't mean it may not be back in Summer 2022 or beyond, it just means what it does at this point.

DL isn't going to be flying TATL 752s like that. That traffic won't be there for DTW-DUS next summer anyways.
Plus the people in auto I knew that needed go to DUS or Colonge region from DTW would just fly to AMS, take an extra day/night there and take the train into Germany.
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:30 pm

x1234 wrote:
They should fly DTW-DUS instead like NW did with the B752. DUS is a automotive city and has lots of ties to Detroit.


Well when NWA flew DTW-DUS with the 757 they failed. Loads were catastrophic and 2008 brought a quick end of that flight.
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
MAH4546
Posts: 26286
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2001 1:44 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:10 am

x1234 wrote:
They should fly DTW-DUS instead like NW did with the B752. DUS is a automotive city and has lots of ties to Detroit.


DUS is not an automotive city nor does it have ties to Detroit.
a.
 
panamair
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 am

DLHAM wrote:
Has anybody heard about Delta dropping Düsseldorf? They closed ATL-DUS and ATL-STR for the whole Winter, while ATL-STR is bookable again from summer ATL-DUS isnt.


Yes, they are closing the DUS station. Also closing in Europe are SNN, GLA, PRG and CPH.
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am

panamair wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
Has anybody heard about Delta dropping Düsseldorf? They closed ATL-DUS and ATL-STR for the whole Winter, while ATL-STR is bookable again from summer ATL-DUS isnt.


Yes, they are closing the DUS station. Also closing in Europe are SNN, GLA, PRG and CPH.


Wow thats a pity! The DUS flight was perfect for nonrev in Business but that obviously says it all. I would have thought that they also cut Berlin. Were Glasgow, Prague seasonal flights? Copenhagen was seasonal AFAIK. What about Shannon?
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
panamair
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:19 am

DLHAM wrote:
panamair wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
Has anybody heard about Delta dropping Düsseldorf? They closed ATL-DUS and ATL-STR for the whole Winter, while ATL-STR is bookable again from summer ATL-DUS isnt.


Yes, they are closing the DUS station. Also closing in Europe are SNN, GLA, PRG and CPH.


Wow thats a pity! The DUS flight was perfect for nonrev in Business but that obviously says it all. I would have thought that they also cut Berlin. Were Glasgow, Prague seasonal flights? Copenhagen was seasonal AFAIK. What about Shannon?


They were all seasonal; DUS was the only year-round.

So far, for 2021 they plan on keeping:

Traditional year-round destinations: LHR, DUB, AMS, CDG, BRU, FRA, MUC, ZRH, MXP, FCO, MAD, BCN, LIS (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter), EDI (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter) and STR (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter)

Traditional seasonal destinations currently planned for a S21 return: ATH, NCE, VCE, BER and KEF
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8250
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:43 am

Instead of saying they are closing the station, it is more appropriate to say that there will not be any nonstop flights from the US operated by DL next summer. These cities will still be easily accessible over AMS and CDG in Skyteam.

It’s very possible they could return down the road in better yeasts ahead.
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:02 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
It’s very possible they could return down the road in better yeasts ahead.


May or may not ... Past crises showed that of course the number of flights/routes started to increase again and airlines switched back to an "expansion mode" over the atlantic at some point. But the cards are being reshuffled and except a few routes airlines did not just restarted the routes they canceled a few years earlier. Some never came back, other came new that were never there before or not in decades. What I mean: one or some of these flights may never come back short/midterm.
My Instagram Account: Instagram
 
jb1087xna
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:57 am

Any ideas what is bringing a DL 763 to XNA tomorrow? Looks like it started a charter rotation of ATL-GLA-DTW-XNA-ATL yesterday.
 
gdavis003
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:59 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 am

jb1087xna wrote:
Any ideas what is bringing a DL 763 to XNA tomorrow? Looks like it started a charter rotation of ATL-GLA-DTW-XNA-ATL yesterday.


Call sign beginning with an 88 tends to be military charter. I would assume this is a charter for Fort Smith
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 5435
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:16 pm

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List
 
FSDan
Posts: 3340
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:11 pm

panamair wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
panamair wrote:

Yes, they are closing the DUS station. Also closing in Europe are SNN, GLA, PRG and CPH.


Wow thats a pity! The DUS flight was perfect for nonrev in Business but that obviously says it all. I would have thought that they also cut Berlin. Were Glasgow, Prague seasonal flights? Copenhagen was seasonal AFAIK. What about Shannon?


They were all seasonal; DUS was the only year-round.

So far, for 2021 they plan on keeping:

Traditional year-round destinations: LHR, DUB, AMS, CDG, BRU, FRA, MUC, ZRH, MXP, FCO, MAD, BCN, LIS (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter), EDI (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter) and STR (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter)

Traditional seasonal destinations currently planned for a S21 return: ATH, NCE, VCE, BER and KEF


I thought BER was getting dropped as well...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
panamair
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2001 2:24 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:17 pm

FSDan wrote:
panamair wrote:
DLHAM wrote:

Wow thats a pity! The DUS flight was perfect for nonrev in Business but that obviously says it all. I would have thought that they also cut Berlin. Were Glasgow, Prague seasonal flights? Copenhagen was seasonal AFAIK. What about Shannon?


They were all seasonal; DUS was the only year-round.

So far, for 2021 they plan on keeping:

Traditional year-round destinations: LHR, DUB, AMS, CDG, BRU, FRA, MUC, ZRH, MXP, FCO, MAD, BCN, LIS (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter), EDI (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter) and STR (was year-round but made seasonal this coming winter)

Traditional seasonal destinations currently planned for a S21 return: ATH, NCE, VCE, BER and KEF


I thought BER was getting dropped as well...


It is..but it was still bookable when I made that earlier post. BER was pulled just sometime late last week
 
jonair8
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:10 am

Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Southern California’s Ontario International Airport (ONT) will soon offer air travelers a new option to reach Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) when Delta Air Lines service takes off October 1. The new service is the latest in a series of welcomed airline announcements of new and restored air service at ONT in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Delta will operate two roundtrip flights a day on the following schedule.

Flt 3632 ONT-SEA 11:15a-2:05p Daily E175
Flt 3608 ONT-SEA 5:35p-8:25p Daily E175
Flt 3656 SEA-ONT 7:40a-10:25a Daily E175
Flt 3640 SEA-ONT 2:00p-4:45p Daily E175


Interesting add. From what I see, there are no additional adds from SEA in the news. Also, the start date is Oct 1st, which is a rather aggressive start. DL seems to be chasing some leisure market because ONT has been rebounding faster than other CA from the pandemic. F9 was also supposed to begin this route pre-COVID, but their change of market strategy ultimately mixed that plan. Looks like AS has company on yet another route. I expect this to be another successful add at DL in the long run.

https://www.flyontario.com/press/delta- ... ia-seattle
 
DLASFlyer
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:06 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:08 pm

I thought I read on A.nut the Delta SEA hub was dead?
 
airlinepeanuts
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:31 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:
I thought I read on A.nut the Delta SEA hub was dead?


It’s alive and well!! Two regional flights being added is a total indication of a hubs health and longevity!!
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 2038
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delta-air-lines-to-fly-ontario-california-to-seattle-301116713.html

ONT-SEA starts October 1st


Wow this is out of Left field.
This should also give LGB hope DL will use all of its 12 slots.
Maybe they see some demand returning in the SoCal area.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8495
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 pm

jonair8 wrote:
From what I see, there are no additional adds from SEA in the news.


Delta's TPAC and TATL press release was dated last Friday.

I wonder how the timing will work to/from SEA's TPAC flights with the 'final' schedules.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3794
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:41 pm

I had thought that DL adding SEA-ONT nonstop service might happen with
(a) DL expanding at both ONT and SEA prior to the COVID-19 pandemic,
(b) AS already serving ONT nonstop from SEA, and
(c) DL's desire to compete against AS at SEA.

DL adding SEA-BUR nonstop service might be a possibility for similar reasons as the SEA-ONT add that was announced by DL today.

While DL dropped plans to resume SEA-DFW nonstop service as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the resumption of DL SEA-DFW nonstop service might be a possibility once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels with DFW being one of the top markets that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from SEA.

There are some other nonstop routes that could be added out of SEA by DL once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels such as SEA-ABQ, SEA-IAH, SEA-PHL, SEA-RNO, SEA-STL, and SEA-SAT.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8495
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:13 pm

jplatts wrote:
There are some other nonstop routes that could be added out of SEA by DL once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels such as SEA-ABQ, SEA-IAH, SEA-PHL, SEA-RNO, SEA-STL, and SEA-SAT.


SEA-IAH has not just AS in SEA but UA hubbing at IAH; SEA-PHL has AA; SEA-STL has WN - so forgive me if I discount the likelihood of those routes a bit in spite of historic O&D counts.
 
dbo861
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 2:20 am

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:30 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
There are some other nonstop routes that could be added out of SEA by DL once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels such as SEA-ABQ, SEA-IAH, SEA-PHL, SEA-RNO, SEA-STL, and SEA-SAT.


SEA-IAH has not just AS in SEA but UA hubbing at IAH; SEA-PHL has AA; SEA-STL has WN - so forgive me if I discount the likelihood of those routes a bit in spite of historic O&D counts.


He means well, but I had a nickel for every route that guy suggested, I could probably start my own airline. Especially around the time of WN schedule releases. He picks random airports and will just list every possible city a certain airline could add from that hub/focus city and doesn’t put much thought into it beyond that.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3794
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
There are some other nonstop routes that could be added out of SEA by DL once demand for domestic air travel returns to normal levels such as SEA-ABQ, SEA-IAH, SEA-PHL, SEA-RNO, SEA-STL, and SEA-SAT.


SEA-IAH has not just AS in SEA but UA hubbing at IAH; SEA-PHL has AA; SEA-STL has WN - so forgive me if I discount the likelihood of those routes a bit in spite of historic O&D counts.


I understand that SEA-IAH, SEA-PHL, and SEA-STL are already served nonstop by competitors other than AS, but some of DL's nonstop routes out of SEA have nonstop competition on airlines other than AS.

List of some routes served nonstop out of SEA on AS, DL, and at least one other airline:
  • SEA-BOS - AS, DL, B6
  • SEA-CHI (ORD/MDW) - AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
  • SEA-DEN - AS, DL, F9, UA, WN
  • SEA-HNL - AS, DL, HA
  • SEA-LAS - AS, DL, F9, NK, WN
  • SEA-LAX - AS, DL, AA, UA (plus B6 starting on 10/7/2020)
  • SEA-MSP - AS, DL, SY
  • SEA-NYC (JFK/EWR) - AS, DL, B6, UA
  • SEA-PHX - AS, DL, AA, WN
  • SEA-SMF - AS, DL, WN
  • SEA-SFO - AS, DL, UA
  • SEA-SJC - AS, DL, WN
  • SEA-WAS (IAD/DCA/BWI) - AS, DL, UA (seasonal WN SEA-BWI nonstop service dropped due to COVID-19 pandemic)
 
tphuang
Posts: 5462
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:36 pm

It does make me wonder when DFW/CMH will start up. It seems strange to start something like ONT before DFW/CMH.

They are clearly committed to SEA market. AS is also bringing SEA capacity back aggressively. So if they want to somewhat match AS's capacity restoration at SEA, I think they are inevitably going to have to sacrifice somewhere else. In light of recent announcement, DL seems to be planning for less capacity next summer than they had project 2 months ago.
 
alfa164
Posts: 3710
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 pm

tphuang wrote:
It does make me wonder when DFW/CMH will start up. It seems strange to start something like ONT before DFW/CMH.
They are clearly committed to SEA market. AS is also bringing SEA capacity back aggressively. So if they want to somewhat match AS's capacity restoration at SEA, I think they are inevitably going to have to sacrifice somewhere else. In light of recent announcement, DL seems to be planning for less capacity next summer than they had project 2 months ago.


SEA-ONT is much cheaper to operate (i.e., much shorter), and allows DL to maintain a claim to its gates in SEA without the risk of higher losses. I am sure some frequencies will be allocated to longer routes (including the aforementioned DFW) once demand returns.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....
 
by738
Posts: 3116
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2020

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:34 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
Any ideas what is bringing a DL 763 to XNA tomorrow? Looks like it started a charter rotation of ATL-GLA-DTW-XNA-ATL yesterday.


Was golf charter
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5746
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:03 pm

tphuang wrote:
It does make me wonder when DFW/CMH will start up. It seems strange to start something like ONT before DFW/CMH.

They are clearly committed to SEA market. AS is also bringing SEA capacity back aggressively. So if they want to somewhat match AS's capacity restoration at SEA, I think they are inevitably going to have to sacrifice somewhere else. In light of recent announcement, DL seems to be planning for less capacity next summer than they had project 2 months ago.


It's pretty simple, DL is adding where people from SEA are traveling post-pandemic. OO or QX are operating most AS flights up & down the West coast. AS has been adding where others have chosen to put their resources elsewhere. DL will continue with shaping SEA into whatever it ever comes into being. I don't think SEA will ever be that important to DL as all routes can be flown from LAX, DTW or MSP.

AS has taken the Covid scare as a way on entering markets (in a few cases only) earlier than had been anticipated, I was told a fourth FL destination was imminent, but did not know it was RSW. But there are a few cities I did know, like CLE, when CMH was announced, I stated in that thread that there would be another Ohio city coming soon. which was CLE.

I think that AAG has done an amazing job of reassessing the air needs of their customers post-pandemic very quickly. I know there are still several last minute cancels & my GF that is a FA for them, has shown for a flight to BOS & ended up flying only to SEA & was overnighted, then deadheaded back the next day. But using OO & QX E-175's have given them the fleet flexibility they needed vs flying empty 737's
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M
 
Pi7472000
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:09 pm

Awesome to see Delta expanding in SEA!! Love their service out of SEA!!! Def. the premium airline for SEA travel.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3794
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 pm

RWA380 wrote:
It's pretty simple, DL is adding where people from SEA are traveling post-pandemic. OO or QX are operating most AS flights up & down the West coast. AS has been adding where others have chosen to put their resources elsewhere. DL will continue with shaping SEA into whatever it ever comes into being. I don't think SEA will ever be that important to DL as all routes can be flown from LAX, DTW or MSP.


DL also has SLC as a hub in addition to LAX, DTW, and MSP, and there are also some destinations in the Midwest, Southwest, South, and Northeast that DL serves nonstop from SLC but not from SEA.

RWA380 wrote:
AS has taken the Covid scare as a way on entering markets (in a few cases only) earlier than had been anticipated, I was told a fourth FL destination was imminent, but did not know it was RSW. But there are a few cities I did know, like CLE, when CMH was announced, I stated in that thread that there would be another Ohio city coming soon. which was CLE.


AS announced SEA-CVG nonstop service but not SEA-CLE nonstop service, but AS had pushed the start date of SEA-CVG nonstop service to 5/1/2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. AS also doesn't currently have any SEA-CLE nonstop flights in its flight schedules.

While F9 currently plans on resuming less-than-daily SEA-CLE nonstop service in April 2021, I had mentioned AS adding SEA-CLE nonstop service as a possibility with the lack of SEA-CLE nonstop service on a non-ULCC being a huge hole. I had also mentioned that AS is more likely to add SEA-CLE nonstop service than DL is as most of the DL domestic adds out of SEA in the last 6 years were to markets that AS was already serving nonstop from SEA. The PDEW of SEA-CLE was 228 passengers per day in Q3 2019, and over 64% of the passengers traveling between SEA and CLE were connecting on airlines other than F9 in Q3 2019.
 
flyboy7974
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:57 am

Noticed today that JSX announced BUR BFI nonstop service
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 5287
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:04 am

flyboy7974 wrote:
Noticed today that JSX announced BUR BFI nonstop service


Interesting...yet they haven't brought back the OAK-BFI flights.

Although, if you look at the booking, it's a one-stop flight through LAS. It's not a new nonstop flight.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1306
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:13 pm

DL adding EWR-SEA would really make sense. AS has pulled back EWR and NYC as a whole so much since the pandemic began and it doesn’t seem like they will be adding much service back anytime soon. DL already serves(d) EWR-RDU/BOS/CVG before this and even AMS and CDG until a few years ago. PHL would also be a good choice but the O&D simply isn’t as full and you have the double connecting competition from AA and AS.
 
flyboy7974
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:30 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:
Noticed today that JSX announced BUR BFI nonstop service


Interesting...yet they haven't brought back the OAK-BFI flights.

Although, if you look at the booking, it's a one-stop flight through LAS. It's not a new nonstop flight.


Ahhhhh ok, I hadn’t looked yet at their website, just noticed their announcement on their IG.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3794
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: Delta to add SEA-ONT

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
DL adding EWR-SEA would really make sense. AS has pulled back EWR and NYC as a whole so much since the pandemic began and it doesn’t seem like they will be adding much service back anytime soon. DL already serves(d) EWR-RDU/BOS/CVG before this and even AMS and CDG until a few years ago. PHL would also be a good choice but the O&D simply isn’t as full and you have the double connecting competition from AA and AS.


I agree that DL adding EWR-SEA nonstop service is a possibility with
(a) DL having a FF base in both the NYC and SEA markets due to DL hubs at LGA, JFK, and SEA to support EWR-SEA nonstop service,
(b) SEA being outside of the LGA perimeter,
(c) EWR being one of the top destinations that DL doesn't currently serve nonstop from SEA, and
(d) DL being able to offer connections to some destinations in Asia, Alaska, Hawaii, and British Columbia through SEA.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 14

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos