Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

Oklahoma City Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 am

Welcome to the Oklahoma City Aviation Thread 2020. Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411891

jplatts

Re: Oklahoma City Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 pm

I had previously mentioned that the lack of OKC-LGA nonstop service is a huge hole with OKC being located in the largest U.S. city proper and largest U.S. metro area within the LGA perimeter that currently doesn't have nonstop service to LGA. OKC-LGA nonstop service could be added by either AA or UA.

DL adding OKC-BOS nonstop service using an E-175 regional jet is a possibility with BOS being one of the top destinations that isn't currently served nonstop out of OKC. While most of DL's regional jet nonstop routes are shorter than OKC-BOS, OO currently operates E-175 regional jets on behalf of DL on DL's MKE-SEA nonstop route, which is longer than OKC-BOS.

AS adding OKC-PDX nonstop service on E-175 regional jets is also a possibility with PDX being one of the top destinations not currently served nonstop from OKC. AS also currently operates regional jets on its DAL-PDX nonstop route, which is longer than OKC-PDX is.

malev2012

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:29 pm

jplatts wrote:
I had previously mentioned that the lack of OKC-LGA nonstop service is a huge hole with OKC being located in the largest U.S. city proper and largest U.S. metro area within the LGA perimeter that currently doesn't have nonstop service to LGA. OKC-LGA nonstop service could be added by either AA or UA.

DL adding OKC-BOS nonstop service using an E-175 regional jet is a possibility with BOS being one of the top destinations that isn't currently served nonstop out of OKC. While most of DL's regional jet nonstop routes are shorter than OKC-BOS, OO currently operates E-175 regional jets on behalf of DL on DL's MKE-SEA nonstop route, which is longer than OKC-BOS.

AS adding OKC-PDX nonstop service on E-175 regional jets is also a possibility with PDX being one of the top destinations not currently served nonstop from OKC. AS also currently operates regional jets on its DAL-PDX nonstop route, which is longer than OKC-PDX is.

No way UA added OKC-LGA. From LGA UA only serves hubs or former hubs: IAH, DEN, ORD, IAD, CLE. I honestly see DL as more likely to add LGA-OKC.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

jplatts

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:39 pm

malev2012 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

No way UA added OKC-LGA. From LGA UA only serves hubs or former hubs: IAH, DEN, ORD, IAD, CLE. I honestly see DL as more likely to add LGA-OKC.

I actually meant to say DL adding OKC-LGA nonstop service instead of UA adding OKC-LGA nonstop service, and I agree that DL adding OKC-LGA nonstop service is a possibility.

malev2012

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I actually meant to say DL adding OKC-LGA nonstop service instead of UA adding OKC-LGA nonstop service, and I agree that DL adding OKC-LGA nonstop service is a possibility.

Yes but I think its a few years out, the downturn in the energy sector definitely has put a damper on business travel from OKC.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

jplatts

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:56 pm

WN is going to be ending OKC-DAL nonstop service tomorrow after serving DAL nonstop from OKC for almost 40 years.

I had previously mentioned that over 90% of the passengers on WN DAL-OKC nonstop flights were connecting to other destinations through DAL in Q2 2019. In addition, PDEW's have also been decreasing on OKC-DAL since the 9/11 attacks over 18 years ago, even prior to WN adding DAL-MCI/STL nonstop service or the enactment of the Wright Amendment Reform Act of 2006.

I can understand WN discontinuing OKC-DAL nonstop service with (a) OKC-DAL having significantly lower PDEW's than the other destinations that have daily nonstop service out of DAL on WN, (b) OKC being closer to DAL than any of the other destinations served by WN, and (c) the majority of passengers on WN's OKC-DAL nonstop flights connecting to places that already have 1-stop connecting service out of OKC through other airports on WN.

georgiabill

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:01 pm

Would AA consider LGA-OKC-LGA with their E-175'S?

jplatts

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:32 am

georgiabill wrote:
Would AA consider LGA-OKC-LGA with their E-175'S?

I agree that AA adding OKC-LGA nonstop service is a possibility with OKC being one of the largest markets that AA doesn't currently serve nonstop from LGA, even though there are a few bigger markets within the LGA perimeter such as GSP, IAH, MCI, and MKE that AA doesn't currently serve nonstop from LGA.

jplatts

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:48 pm

The PDEW on WN's DAL-OKC nonstop route was only 32 passengers/day in Q3 2019, which is much lower than the other WN daily nonstop routes out of DAL. Over 89% of the passengers on WN's DAL-OKC nonstop flights were connecting to other destinations through DAL on WN in Q3 2019.

It actually made sense for WN to drop DAL-OKC nonstop service due to decreasing O&D traffic on the DAL-OKC route.

747superliner

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 am

Seems AA/Eagle are pretty happy with their combined service at OKC, and probably have doubled their flying base here with all of the new service they have added (latest being MIA) so I wouldn't be surprised if LGA was next on the list of airports they connect nonstop to OKC. Seems like a natural progression anyway. But it will need to have better timings than UAX's current seasonal-only nonstop to/from EWR. From what I gather there is more leisure than business traffic between Oklahoma City and the New York City/Newark area.

9w748capt

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:40 am

747superliner wrote:
Seems AA/Eagle are pretty happy with their combined service at OKC, and probably have doubled their flying base here with all of the new service they have added (latest being MIA) so I wouldn't be surprised if LGA was next on the list of airports they connect nonstop to OKC. Seems like a natural progression anyway. But it will need to have better timings than UAX's current seasonal-only nonstop to/from EWR. From what I gather there is more leisure than business traffic between Oklahoma City and the New York City/Newark area.

It is nice how much AA has expanded at OKC. If only they'd get rid of Dougie and start sucking less, I'd be much happier about it.

Agree though OKC-LGA seems like a longshot. PHL is AA's east coast connecting hub, so there must not be the O&D on OKC-NYC for that service. But we'll see. With this growth trajectory I'd assume a yearlong daily flight to LGA on DL or AA isn't out of the question.

malev2012

Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:27 pm

9w748capt wrote:
747superliner wrote:

It is nice how much AA has expanded at OKC. If only they'd get rid of Dougie and start sucking less, I'd be much happier about it.

Agree though OKC-LGA seems like a longshot. PHL is AA's east coast connecting hub, so there must not be the O&D on OKC-NYC for that service. But we'll see. With this growth trajectory I'd assume a yearlong daily flight to LGA on DL or AA isn't out of the question.

And just like that I'm shocked to see AA is starting LGA in JUNE with 1x daily on E175. Will be interesting to see how it does against the UA EWR flight.

https://www.flyokc.com/american-airline ... ia-airport

9w748capt

Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:56 pm

malev2012 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
747superliner wrote:

And just like that I'm shocked to see AA is starting LGA in JUNE with 1x daily on E175. Will be interesting to see how it does against the UA EWR flight.

UA has superior connectivity at EWR but AA will have the upper hand in literally every other aspect of OKC-NYC. The E75 is AA's best ride IMO, and thankfully can't be Oasised. A year-round daily E75 trumps a seasonal ER4 any day of the week.

747superliner

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:06 am

Like I said, not really that surprising ;).

Even though Eagle has daily nonstop to/from PHL, this serves a different market entirely, and given that NYC is mainly an O&D market for many travellers from Oklahoma City. Kind of bummed to see a similar schedule as the seasonal-only UAX nonstop to/from EWR but we'll take it I guess. One definite advantage of this over the UAX nonstops is a. it will be a year-round flight (at least as of now) and b. LGA is the closest-in airport to NYC so it will serve both, business and leisure travellers alike pretty well. Plus the new terminal will help as well. Great addition for OKC.

AWACSooner

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:56 am

With the daily AS SEA flight now mainline, I sincerely hope AS gives OKC a better look...read: another SEA flight and a daily to PDX

777222LR

Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:52 pm

malev2012 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
747superliner wrote:

From OKC here, noticed a few of my friends posting on Facebook that AA was adding OKC-LGA and immediately thought of this thread. I had to remind my friends who were ecstatic about the new flight that we have had service to New York for years with UA. Okay, Newark...but we could still get there nonstop. This is a great addition to OKC service. I'm hoping that one day these OKC-SFO/LAX/NYC flights can go mainline instead of E175s. Much nicer on the traveler than 3-3.5 hours in a regional jet. Remember when the OKC-EWR flight used to be on an ERJ-145? Eeeeek...

747superliner

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:07 pm

777222LR wrote:
Remember when the OKC-EWR flight used to be on an ERJ-145? Eeeeek...

Yep, I do :lol: Bordering on 4 hours westbound when the winds were not that cooperative...

9w748capt

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 pm

777222LR wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
9w748capt wrote:

From OKC here, noticed a few of my friends posting on Facebook that AA was adding OKC-LGA and immediately thought of this thread. I had to remind my friends who were ecstatic about the new flight that we have had service to New York for years with UA. Okay, Newark...but we could still get there nonstop. This is a great addition to OKC service. I'm hoping that one day these OKC-SFO/LAX/NYC flights can go mainline instead of E175s. Much nicer on the traveler than 3-3.5 hours in a regional jet. Remember when the OKC-EWR flight used to be on an ERJ-145? Eeeeek...

Gonna disagree there. The E75 is AA's most comfortable ride, and it's not even close. I'd take 4 hours on an E75 over the sardine can 738 100 times out of 100. Not to mention the excellent F to Y ratio, and the fact that Eagle's food in F is generally fresher and tastier. I'm ecstatic that all of these new routes out of OKC are on E75s.

As far as UA to EWR, a seasonal ER4 doesn't even compare to a daily E75. The E75 is infinitely more comfortable than any ER4. Plus LGA is still NYC's preferred O&D airport.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos