Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bennett123

Re: Happy ADS-B Mandate!

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm

767333ER

I suspect that there are plenty of accidents on country roads.

RDUDDJI

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:49 pm

gloom wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
Perhaps something like: "Boeing's MCAS".

Really? Why putting words in my mouth? Common, you can do better than that.
In fact, I don't feel MCAS is a major failure. I'll wait for experts to finish the job.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I was merely using a more recent (and aviation relevant) example of a "technology" gone wrong. Of course Boeing will fix it, but to date, it's been proven to be a poorly conceived system that's contributed to two tragedies and grounded a whole type of airplane for coming up on a year.

I also get the Pentium example, but I'd imagine many of the posters here have never heard of (or were even alive for) the Pentium processor hence my suggestion.

gloom wrote:
RDUDDJI wrote:
Tesla (S/X/3 models) all carry five star safety ratings...in every category. And they have the most advanced Supplemental Driver Assist (SDA)* suite on the market. We would be fortunate to have this level of safety/assistance on every aircraft.
*I will be the first to admit, and I've said this for years: "Autopilot" was a terrible name for an SDA and will cost them dearly.

This system allows completely input-less driving, hence is an autopilot.

False, it does not (yet) allow input-less driving, which is why I said their name is a poor choice. Trust me, I own one. Just like other manufacturers systems you have to grab the wheel every 20-30 seconds.

Tesla has been promising FSD (Full Self Driving) for years, but as of right now, it's not even close to complete. Even when it is, I suspect Tesla will face at least 5 years of regulatory hurdles before it can be used as such in most locations.

RDUDDJI wrote:
Try to control your attitude, please :) you seem overly harsh over a simple statements.

How was I harsh? Just because someone disagrees with you on an internet message board, it doesn't mean they have an attitude. Breathe, Relax, you'll live longer mate.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

HVN2HEL2LAX

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:06 pm

Controlled or uncontrolled airspace regardless, most of those who opt out are the ones who need it most. It's a skill set thing (or lack there of).

reltney

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:32 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Not good enough. If it's an aircraft, it needs to have a transponder that can't be turned off no matter what airspace you are in. You need to be visible.

Well, when you do formation it fouls up the system. All our formation planes have cut out systems which totally removes any transponder ADS whatever. Been installing it for years with FAA approval on the 337s. It’s not fool proof. I am all for ADS A,B,C in all aircraft but issues are still unresolved. “C” won’t work in GA small planes very well.

Quick story. I just installed ADS B in and out in a friends plane. His first time with it operational was comical. As we were west bound at 2000ft he saw a plane behind him at the same altitude and did a super quick 180. We both were fighter pilots so it wasn’t a “standard rate anything”. Saw nothing and I laughed...then he saw it again behind us on the screen and did another quick 180 back west and saw nothing. I laughed and told him it’s his shadow as there is a delay. Bigger delays in some areas and this was one of those areas. Lesson learned.... next was doing acro in a YAK with the ADSB on. Shadows everywhere.....the owner was all over the sky searching for himself... off switch necessary..

It will be a good system over the years....

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

reltney

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:58 pm

3.1.3 Formation Operations. ATC uses established transponder and ADS-B transmission procedures when participating in formation operations. Per the Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) paragraph 4-1-20, if the formation flight is receiving ATC services, pilots can expect ATC to direct all non-lead aircraft to “STOP SQUAWK,” and should not do so until instructed. For visual flight rules (VFR) formation flights not receiving ATC services, ATC directs that only the lead aircraft should squawk the assigned beacon code (1200). All other aircraft should disable transponder and ADS-B transmissions once established within the formation. (emphasis added)

Here is a the formation procedures ..
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

gloom

Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 am

RDUDDJI wrote:
I didn't put any words in your mouth.

Well, I said nothing of MCAS. Since there are many Americans here, and at least some of them prone to go "all American Dream", I was sort of thinking you're going along lines. Sorry, and apologies, if I misjudged.

On MCAS - I don't think it's evil as it is. I think it's Boeing (as an organization) to blame - they clearly misjudged the whole process. Forgot you need to mitigate risks (or rather analysed them poorly). I'd say - they stretched the cost reduction too far. Too many technical problems ignored (like one sensor failure, different trim handling, high speed problems with manual trimming), too many changes during design to keep it as simple as possible (no additional info on MCAS and when it kicks in, no separate disengage, no difference traning minimizing costs, change in maximum effect and not notified to FAA).
And now, they pay for that dearly.

RDUDDJI wrote:
False, it does not (yet) allow input-less driving, which is why I said their name is a poor choice. Trust me, I own one. Just like other manufacturers systems you have to grab the wheel every 20-30 seconds.

Well, that's more or less input-less driving. Not like hours, but how much time do you need to crash? And I have a feeling since Tesla wanted to move wheel 20 secs (I assume it's like train, random time in a range, so I take lower value), most people assumed they have 20 secs free, no need to assist AP.

Breathe, Relax, you'll live longer mate.

Sure I will. Thanks.

Cheers,
Adam

inkjet7

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:35 am

rbavfan wrote:
Not really. Business jets (ie Trump, Tribune, ect) can opt out of tracking access.They have to have ADS-B installed but FR24 cannot track them publicly.

Works the other way around, too. FR24 uses a feature called MLAT to track planes using older transponders. It makes use of the time differences in receiving those to calculate the positions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos