Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

x1234
Topic Author

Is the South African market big enough for UA?

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:54 pm

With the recent success of Cape Town (CPT) flights I was wondering since DL & SAA are in the market already if there is room for another flight to JNB. JNB IS the LARGEST market in Africa and DL quickly figured this out. The SAA outdated A346 product is frankly crap. Can the UA 787-9 take off from JNB at night non-stop back to EWR? The DL 77L apparently hauls a lot of cargo too from what I've heard out of JNB. DL 77L mods are also done and JNB has the DL One suites.

dmstorm22

Re: Is the South African market big enough for UA?

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:01 pm

SAA is I believe replacing their outdated A346 with a A359.

Anyway, UA is not banking in the local SA market, but on CPT as a luxury tourist destination from USA. So far it seems the route is doing well.

I think the JNB market might be somewhat saturated between the two non-stops from America and a series of 1-stop options through Europe.

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:08 pm

JNB and CPT aren't geographically the same market. They're farther apart than NYC-CHI.

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:50 pm

I think UA saw seasonal CPT service as a niche market that wasn't being provided by any other carriers. It's similar to what they are doing with service from SFO to PPT. It serves a tourism market that attracts some well off travelers who will pay for the privilege of flying nonstop. I think the last time there was any service to CPT from North America it was provided by DL from ATL via DKR?
I think they looked at the tourism numbers and decided it was worth the effort. Anecdotal evidence I've heard from some UA employees is that the route is doing well. JNB is a whole different animal. Don't forget that SAA is a member of Star Alliance and UA does sell connections on them from IAD to JNB.

AirBoat

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:43 pm

JNB TO CPT is a 2hr flight.
The other destination that CPT is also used for is flights to Antarctica, mainly freight I think.

PHXWRLD

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:44 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I think UA saw seasonal CPT service as a niche market that wasn't being provided by any other carriers. It's similar to what they are doing with service from SFO to PPT. It serves a tourism market that attracts some well off travelers who will pay for the privilege of flying nonstop. I think the last time there was any service to CPT from North America it was provided by DL from ATL via DKR?
I think they looked at the tourism numbers and decided it was worth the effort. Anecdotal evidence I've heard from some UA employees is that the route is doing well. JNB is a whole different animal. Don't forget that SAA is a member of Star Alliance and UA does sell connections on them from IAD to JNB.

That is more or less the way I see it too.

shankly

Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 pm

AirBoat wrote:
JNB TO CPT is a 2hr flight.
The other destination that CPT is also used for is flights to Antarctica, mainly freight I think.

The other destination, apart from LHR, LGW, MUC, FRA, VIE, DOH, ZUR, DXB, IST, ADD, LAD amongst others

On the Antarctica front, met a chap last night running a G5 charter down to Antarctica from CPT...…..for people with a few quid to spare:

https://white-desert.com/
L1011 - P F M

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos