Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
hooverman
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Although the OP’s article states there is more pax demand, it’s most likely not bussiness pax. So the non ULR will be sufficient.
Also in the article:
“The flight will also be the only non-stop air cargo link from the north-east of the US to Singapore, which is a regional distribution hub for many major US-based companies.”

This makes me believe it’s cargo first, pax a bonus.
 
DylanHarvey
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:21 pm

AECM wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
AECM wrote:

According to EASA A350 TCDS, last updated on 26 June 2020, the A359 has the following Usable Fuel numbers:

Basic: 110,523 Kg
Mod 110211: 130,693 Kg

Assuming a fuel density of 0.785 kg/l

OK if the usable fuel is 110.5 then I see no issues. They should be able to comfortably get at least 6-9t of reserve then. I thought I read 108 somewhere lol that’s my bad.


I think the usable fuel for the basic version was lower than 110 ton in the past.

Looking at FR24 average flight times

SQ22, SIN - EWR = 17h06
SQ21, EWR - SIN = 17h42

I have seen anywhere from 108.33 to 112.4 for the max usable fuel for the standard. I think this is also depending on how much reserves they are taking. If they only want to land with 4-5 tons of reserve and yes it is doable with probably full pax, if they want to land with like 10t then they are going to have issues
 
User avatar
Web500sjc
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:34 pm

The Schedule is

SQ24 D:[email protected]:25, A:[email protected]:30+0
SQ23 D:[email protected]:30-A:[email protected]:10+2

Looks very O& D focused, full work days on either side of the route. Doesn’t connect to any obvious cargo banks. That being said, I would think a lot of the cargo demand on this may be for connections to the US East Coast, South America and Caribbean.
 
blooc350
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:38 pm

EMB170 wrote:
I'm booked on EWR-SIN and return next June/July. Will my flight be changed to JFK?

I also paid for W (Premium Economy) on both legs. Will that still be honored onboard the new flight?

EMB-170


I wouldnt see why they wouldnt, the JFK flight will be operated with PEY.
 
clrd4t8koff
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
lostsound wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

No one is gonna fly SIN-JFK-LAX....


But some may fly SIN-JFK-BOS or SIN-JFK-PHL. There are other cities in America.


And yo sure aware UA flies none of these routes?


UA & SQ have never had a strong partnership have they? I think SQ & B6 are more closely aligned and B6 can provide feed from JFK to BOS or other cities on the east coast.
 
lostsound
Posts: 702
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
lostsound wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

No one is gonna fly SIN-JFK-LAX....


But some may fly SIN-JFK-BOS or SIN-JFK-PHL. There are other cities in America.


And yo sure aware UA flies none of these routes?


Are you aware that they are returning to JFK?
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:04 pm

lostsound wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
lostsound wrote:

But some may fly SIN-JFK-BOS or SIN-JFK-PHL. There are other cities in America.


And yo sure aware UA flies none of these routes?


Are you aware that they are returning to JFK?


Yeah with routes like JFK-LAX and SFO. Not PHL and BOS.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:05 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
lostsound wrote:

But some may fly SIN-JFK-BOS or SIN-JFK-PHL. There are other cities in America.


And yo sure aware UA flies none of these routes?


UA & SQ have never had a strong partnership have they? I think SQ & B6 are more closely aligned and B6 can provide feed from JFK to BOS or other cities on the east coast.


I believe that’s only a mileage partnership. Other than that B6 is growing a lot in EWR.
 
tomcat
Posts: 828
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:14 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:36 pm

If such a long iconic route will manage to attract passengers and keep them consistently safe (avoiding covid contaminations), it could act as a catalyst to convince the public that flying is safe. Interesting times ahead.
 
paperwastage
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Sq partners with alaska and jetblue. Potentially connecting jfk-bos I guess

If you look at sq load lax-sin, it's horrible in Y - this route is likely for cargo (and as mentioned above, consumer confidence). Sq.com is selling non discounted tickets (sgd$2800 round trip sin-jfk economy , couldn't quote economy for jfk-sin though)

It's using different flight #, so theroetically anyone originally booked on sq22/21 (ewr) needs to rebook?
 
jayunited
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:14 pm

andrew1996 wrote:
Surprising they chose nyc over restarting sfo first— maybe they are predicting UA will reinstate sfo-sin soon to avoid competition?
Maybe sfo isn’t really a cargo focus for SQgven the lax cargo hub to serve California



Americans are still banned from entering Singapore. Singapore residents or those holding dual citizenship are permitted entry but still must quarantine for 14 days.

Not sure when the government of Singapore will ease restrictions but with COVID cases now on the rise across the U.S. I think it is safe to say it will be some time before Singapore welcomes Americans.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/singapore ... -york-jfk/

Read the last two paragraphs of TPG article, I didn't know Singapore was still closed to ALL Americans even those traveling for business, so I'm not sure why SQ is launching this route unless they have an exclusive cargo contract that is so lucrative it will make operating a flight of this stage length profitable.

United operates cargo only flights to SIN but we make a tech stop in GUM for crew change this is required since Americans are banned from entry into Singapore.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7777
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:21 pm

It's all part of UAs plan to relaunch JFK and close EWR, and WN to make EWR their NYC megahub. :stirthepot:
 
moyangmm
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:22 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:37 pm

At this range there isn't much payload left even in ULR, let alone regular A359. I guess the reason SQ to switch to regular 359 as oppose to ULR is that they want the forward cargo compartment for bulky but lightweight cargos.

I wonder how much the actual payload be. Can it make 5000kg? The cargo need to be super premium to justify the cost of non-stop JFK-SIN. Not sure what type of cargo can it be. Maybe COVID vaccine.
 
DTWLAX
Posts: 1225
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:49 am

lostsound wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
jhsusman wrote:
Some decent Star Alliance feeds into JFK with UA re-opening the station next year. . .


No one is gonna fly SIN-JFK-LAX....


But some may fly SIN-JFK-BOS or SIN-JFK-PHL. There are other cities in America.

But UA does not fly JFK-BOS or JFK-PHL. Even if UA reenters JFK, it will most likely be for transcontinental JFK - LAX/SFO and to connect their ORD, IAH and IAD hubs. ORD and IAH can be better connected via LAX and SFO. UA is not going to build a mini-EWR right next to EWR.
And if you are not aware, SQ and UA do not cooperate much even when both are in the same alliance.
 
longtin23
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:18 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:13 am

hooverman wrote:
Although the OP’s article states there is more pax demand, it’s most likely not bussiness pax. So the non ULR will be sufficient.
Also in the article:
“The flight will also be the only non-stop air cargo link from the north-east of the US to Singapore, which is a regional distribution hub for many major US-based companies.”

This makes me believe it’s cargo first, pax a bonus.


This is exactly what SQ is thinking. They see the demand for cargo, and considering adding pax service will just ramp up perhaps 50% of the handling charges on ground, plus the meals/crew, they could change the cargo flight into pax+cargo. As US is approved to transit in Singapore, it could add some transit pax to SEA/West Asia as well.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3963
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:13 am

Pretty sure it's almost all for cargo, and any passengers booked on the flight will be gravy on top. The major hotels where the crew would stay (before flying back) are also in NYC. 2 of the 3 ground stays are slated for 15 hours and 1 is for 39 hours. I presume this would require 2 complete crews for the flight.
 
Grrflyer
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:19 am

Web500sjc wrote:
The Schedule is

SQ24 D:[email protected]:25, A:[email protected]:30+0
SQ23 D:[email protected]:30-A:[email protected]:10+2

Looks very O& D focused, full work days on either side of the route. Doesn’t connect to any obvious cargo banks. That being said, I would think a lot of the cargo demand on this may be for connections to the US East Coast, South America and Caribbean.

My company has handled several semi-conductor loads for SQ and CI at JFK from SIN for end customers in Virginia and along the east coast. These are extremely light loads but do take up a fair amount of space.

Judging by the invoices I’ve seen I’m not at all surprised by this route starting back up based off past cargo volume and how lucrative it pays. Any passenger volume is probably a nice cherry on top.
 
airzona11
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:45 am

DTWLAX wrote:
lostsound wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

No one is gonna fly SIN-JFK-LAX....


But some may fly SIN-JFK-BOS or SIN-JFK-PHL. There are other cities in America.

But UA does not fly JFK-BOS or JFK-PHL. Even if UA reenters JFK, it will most likely be for transcontinental JFK - LAX/SFO and to connect their ORD, IAH and IAD hubs. ORD and IAH can be better connected via LAX and SFO. UA is not going to build a mini-EWR right next to EWR.
And if you are not aware, SQ and UA do not cooperate much even when both are in the same alliance.


Not to mention ULh is for O/D not connecting traffic.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Does anyone know how many meals are served on this 18 hour flight? Is it 2 or 3?
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:37 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Does anyone know how many meals are served on this 18 hour flight? Is it 2 or 3?


On SQ21/22, in W it was 3, one close to take-off, another mid-flight, one close to land.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:58 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Does anyone know how many meals are served on this 18 hour flight? Is it 2 or 3?


On SQ21/22, in W it was 3, one close to take-off, another mid-flight, one close to land.


Is the midflight meal served on a standard tray? Are all three meals about the same size?
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Does anyone know how many meals are served on this 18 hour flight? Is it 2 or 3?


On SQ21/22, in W it was 3, one close to take-off, another mid-flight, one close to land.


Is the midflight meal served on a standard tray? Are all three meals about the same size?


I've taken it SIN-EWR twice and every meal was served on a full tray but the order of the meals switched oddly.
First time it went dinner -> larger than normal snack -> breakfast (which made sense given we leave SIN at night and arrive EWR early morning)
Second time it was dinner -> breakfast -> larger than normal snack (which makes sense in terms of the local-SIN time at the various points of the flight)
 
airbazar
Posts: 10546
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:21 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Yeah of all routes to come back this seems odd and an uphill battle. I mean you can't blame them for trying planes sitting on the ground cost alot of money they are just going to try and see if there is demand to stimulate some cash see if theres some premium passengers? If the plane is empty they can carry a little premium cargo. Doesn't mean it will work out , they can always reduce to 1-2x a week if this proves to be too much which I think it will . I don't think these flyers are out there yet in enough numbers. The holidays might work there might be enough expats who want to go home or see friends


Unreal. After all of these years people still thing this is a prestige route despite all the evident to the contrary.
They are restarting the route because like they said, they see demand. Some times it's that simple.
 
User avatar
DLHAM
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:10 am

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 pm

onwFan wrote:
I am interested to see what happens to the FRA-JFK leg. Recently, SQ secured rights for launching NRT-JFK. I wonder if we might seem them move the routing to SIN-NRT-JFK at some point...

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... -new-york/


That would be sad, after or next to Emirates HAM-JFK (which is long gone already) this was the most luxurious way to get from Germany to the US. Furthermore these 5th freedom segments tend to be not too expensive compared to other average flights.
 
dmstorm22
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:12 pm

DLHAM wrote:
onwFan wrote:
I am interested to see what happens to the FRA-JFK leg. Recently, SQ secured rights for launching NRT-JFK. I wonder if we might seem them move the routing to SIN-NRT-JFK at some point...

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... -new-york/


That would be sad, after or next to Emirates HAM-JFK (which is long gone already) this was the most luxurious way to get from Germany to the US. Furthermore these 5th freedom segments tend to be not too expensive compared to other average flights.


I'm skeptical anyway that when the world returns to normal they would stop SIN-FRA-JFK in favor of SIN-NRT-JFK.

From what I've gathered TYO-NYC is a notoriously tough market to compete in, and from what I've anecdotally heard over the years SQ holds itself well in JFK-FRA - as you said its the most luxurious way to fly the route.

Anyway, that's all with pre-March 2020 mindset...
 
andrew1996
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: SQ to launch SIN-JFK 3x weekly

Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:54 am

jayunited wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:
Surprising they chose nyc over restarting sfo first— maybe they are predicting UA will reinstate sfo-sin soon to avoid competition?
Maybe sfo isn’t really a cargo focus for SQgven the lax cargo hub to serve California



Americans are still banned from entering Singapore. Singapore residents or those holding dual citizenship are permitted entry but still must quarantine for 14 days.

Not sure when the government of Singapore will ease restrictions but with COVID cases now on the rise across the U.S. I think it is safe to say it will be some time before Singapore welcomes Americans.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/singapore ... -york-jfk/

Read the last two paragraphs of TPG article, I didn't know Singapore was still closed to ALL Americans even those traveling for business, so I'm not sure why SQ is launching this route unless they have an exclusive cargo contract that is so lucrative it will make operating a flight of this stage length profitable.

United operates cargo only flights to SIN but we make a tech stop in GUM for crew change this is required since Americans are banned from entry into Singapore.


US citizens that are flight crew are allowed entry into SIn i believe. Singapore has always allowed flight crew without the testing that hk does but you must stay in your hotel room. There were stats from the Singapore gov that showed monthly visitors and Americans have still entered Singapore since the border closure and I assumed it was flight crew like for FedEx, ups, atlas air etc and maybe the gulf carriers using us citizen pilots etc

I think gum stop was more so to ensure a full payload all the way through and more efficient
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5292
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:24 pm

 
User avatar
calstanford
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:44 am

Eating and shopping are basically the things Singaporeans do. So this is a good way for SQ to stay connected to the local populace.
 
Noshow
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:55 am

It's a shock to see a hight tech tool like an airworthy big aeroplane being used as a makeshift restaurant for ground use because there is not enough air traffic at the moment.
 
User avatar
MetalNeutral
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:05 am

If you remove costs associated with flying (fuel, maintenance, pilots, landing slots, overflying rights, etc), 40-470USD is a remarkably high price for offering just some aircraft food.

I'm not even sure they are employing their own staff or contracted external servers dressed in SQ uniforms, so they may get away with an even lower cost base. This must be the highest yielding pax load they've seen in a while :eyepopping: :duck:

And moreover it's an excellent, cost-free marketing tool to keep their home market engaged with the brand. All companies did so to some extent during lockdowns across the globe, and I don't see anything wrong or shameful in doing so. Kudos to them and similar initiatives around the world, being it sightseeing flights, branded restaurants (like Thai did) or whatever bright ideas these marketing people will come up with.

Cheers,
MN
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8997
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:11 am

airbazar wrote:
My family and I were planning to ride SQ's A380 on EWR-FRA-SIN this Summer, on our way to Bali. I live outside of Boston and was planning to drive to EWR just to fly with SQ on the A380. It would be a shame if they get rid of it. I can't imagine that I'm the only person going out of my way to fly an SQ A380.

Surprising that you’re claiming to be passionate about a certain airline/airframe combination but don’t know where it flies from. To the second part of your post, people might prefer an SQ A380 vs EY 787 (say) but maybe to the tune of a couple of passengers a day. Doesn’t pay for two extra engines or 150 empty seats.
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:57 am

MetalNeutral wrote:
If you remove costs associated with flying (fuel, maintenance, pilots, landing slots, overflying rights, etc), 40-470USD is a remarkably high price for offering just some aircraft food.

I'm not even sure they are employing their own staff or contracted external servers dressed in SQ uniforms, so they may get away with an even lower cost base. This must be the highest yielding pax load they've seen in a while :eyepopping: :duck:

And moreover it's an excellent, cost-free marketing tool to keep their home market engaged with the brand. All companies did so to some extent during lockdowns across the globe, and I don't see anything wrong or shameful in doing so. Kudos to them and similar initiatives around the world, being it sightseeing flights, branded restaurants (like Thai did) or whatever bright ideas these marketing people will come up with.

Cheers,
MN


Why SQ need to hire external staffs to act as the FA?
All the FA have the minimum flying hours, it means that even they don’t need to perform the duty in the 380 restaurant, they still get the same paid from SQ
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1137
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:47 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
MetalNeutral wrote:
If you remove costs associated with flying (fuel, maintenance, pilots, landing slots, overflying rights, etc), 40-470USD is a remarkably high price for offering just some aircraft food.

I'm not even sure they are employing their own staff or contracted external servers dressed in SQ uniforms, so they may get away with an even lower cost base. This must be the highest yielding pax load they've seen in a while :eyepopping: :duck:

And moreover it's an excellent, cost-free marketing tool to keep their home market engaged with the brand. All companies did so to some extent during lockdowns across the globe, and I don't see anything wrong or shameful in doing so. Kudos to them and similar initiatives around the world, being it sightseeing flights, branded restaurants (like Thai did) or whatever bright ideas these marketing people will come up with.

Cheers,
MN


Why SQ need to hire external staffs to act as the FA?
All the FA have the minimum flying hours, it means that even they don’t need to perform the duty in the 380 restaurant, they still get the same paid from SQ


BTW it is not just a meal. It includes tour of the plane, chance to see the cockpit, talk to the pilots take photograms, the a photo in Singapore Suites etc. Booking is through kris flyer and mainly a way to keep long term customers engaged, not earn some money on dining. Most people probably pay with miles which expire otherwise. I skipped the dinner but plan to book the facilities tour in November (using miles). They even offer 45 min session in a flight simulator (I believe it is the 777 simulator) for $500.- or 40,000 miles.

SIA has been aggressively sending out staff to external postings. FA's are working in shopping centres, public transport and other places just to get the costs down to a minimum. They do work like customer service, support social distancing in subway stations, public parks and other places as "safe distancing ambassadors" and other activities involving the public. I am working with a government agency and they are planning to hire trainee pilots who are completing their training in the next few months. The assumption is that they work for the agency 2 years and then go back to SIA and start their pilot career. It is all about getting costs down to rock bottom while keeping trained staff in the long term and ensure that this staff is keeping a base salary during this difficult time. There is definitely no temp external staff for this event.
 
User avatar
FrenchPotatoEye
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Not sure the highs prices is actually the values for money. And no flight either.

Still, fall from grace for SQ.

The Qantas does better selling brancded merch and 787 flights
 
blooc350
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:58 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Not sure the highs prices is actually the values for money. And no flight either.

Still, fall from grace for SQ.

The Qantas does better selling brancded merch and 787 flights



This savors strongly of bitterness.
 
MileHFL400
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:42 pm

blooc350 wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Not sure the highs prices is actually the values for money. And no flight either.

Still, fall from grace for SQ.

The Qantas does better selling brancded merch and 787 flights



This savors strongly of bitterness.


Agreed. I think this is a fantastic initiative. They can use one of their assets that would otherwise be gathering dust and get large revenues at a low cost. Win win.
 
User avatar
MetalNeutral
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:33 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:

Why SQ need to hire external staffs to act as the FA?
All the FA have the minimum flying hours, it means that even they don’t need to perform the duty in the 380 restaurant, they still get the same paid from SQ


I was just speculating but mostly it was light-hearted comment, of course I don't have any insight on how they are managing their staff with the crisis. Thanks for the explanation.

AngMoh wrote:
BTW it is not just a meal. It includes tour of the plane, chance to see the cockpit, talk to the pilots take photograms, the a photo in Singapore Suites etc. Booking is through kris flyer and mainly a way to keep long term customers engaged, not earn some money on dining. Most people probably pay with miles which expire otherwise. I skipped the dinner but plan to book the facilities tour in November (using miles). They even offer 45 min session in a flight simulator (I believe it is the 777 simulator) for $500.- or 40,000 miles.


Admittedly, I would gladly join if I didn't leave on the other side of the globe :D That's a cool package, although none of those activities cost (much of) a thing to implement as side dishes (no pun intended) to the dinner. And miles are a liability so it's good to find ways to make customers offload them. But my comment about the yield was a funny remark not to be taken very seriously, hence the smilies :)

SIA has been aggressively sending out staff to external postings. FA's are working in shopping centres, public transport and other places just to get the costs down to a minimum. They do work like customer service, support social distancing in subway stations, public parks and other places as "safe distancing ambassadors" and other activities involving the public. I am working with a government agency and they are planning to hire trainee pilots who are completing their training in the next few months. The assumption is that they work for the agency 2 years and then go back to SIA and start their pilot career. It is all about getting costs down to rock bottom while keeping trained staff in the long term and ensure that this staff is keeping a base salary during this difficult time. There is definitely no temp external staff for this event.


I think that's a commendable approach to retain staff loyalty and somehow invest in their future (assuming SQ pays for their pilot training?), so thank you for the educated insight on their approach. Unfortunately hard to replicate elsewhere.

Cheers,
MN
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 27048
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:51 pm

Confuscius wrote:
If this restaurant concept is a success, perhaps Airbus might reconsider and build the stretch version.

Or maybe SIA can saw the nose off one, tail off another, and join them together to make a double-long double-wing A380-1600 restaurant?
 
andrew1996
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:10 am

Wonder why SQ and other airlines that have domestic terminals not run these restaurants on a more regular basis for customer engagement and some very marginal cash flow. Also although expensive this may be the cheapest way for many to experience buisness class seat and service for a few hours
 
VMCA787
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:39 am

andrew1996 wrote:
Wonder why SQ and other airlines that have domestic terminals not run these restaurants on a more regular basis for customer engagement and some very marginal cash flow. Also although expensive this may be the cheapest way for many to experience buisness class seat and service for a few hours


Obviously, you haven't been to Singapore. Singapore has no domestic market, it is an Island with no service to any other domestic destination as there aren't any!
 
andrew1996
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:43 am

VMCA787 wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:
Wonder why SQ and other airlines that have domestic terminals not run these restaurants on a more regular basis for customer engagement and some very marginal cash flow. Also although expensive this may be the cheapest way for many to experience buisness class seat and service for a few hours


Obviously, you haven't been to Singapore. Singapore has no domestic market, it is an Island with no service to any other domestic destination as there aren't any!

I never said Singapore has a domestic market? I separated it out to say and airlines with a domestic market so that the Logistics are easier to plan for people entering airside
 
VMCA787
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:45 am

andrew1996 wrote:
Wonder why SQ and other airlines that have domestic terminals


Here is what you wrote. Sure reads like you are stating SQ has a domestic terminal.
 
User avatar
FrenchPotatoEye
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:04 am

blooc350 wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Not sure the highs prices is actually the values for money. And no flight either.

Still, fall from grace for SQ.

The Qantas does better selling brancded merch and 787 flights



This savors strongly of bitterness.


On contrarty, I highlighting the costs for SQ.

Struggle to see how this is profitable. Sq already burned thru lots of aid from shareholder temasek. Cheaper to mothball no? Like Lufthansa or the air france?

Money aside, I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for a food meal on grounded airplane. Economic hardship times across world means protecting pennies, not the squander thems on frivolos meals like this. It's absurd almost.
 
MrBryan86
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 am

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
Not sure the highs prices is actually the values for money. And no flight either.

Still, fall from grace for SQ.

The Qantas does better selling brancded merch and 787 flights


Except SQ’s plans for Flights to Nowhere was met with protest from local environmentalists saying that such initiatives should be reconsidered because it releases unnecessary carbon emissions, while initiatives like Cruises to Nowhere wasn’t met with the same protests. SQ only ended up with this Dine Onboard A380 initiative because they want to protect their branding and reputation in fear of such environmentalists.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 27048
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:52 pm

Looks like the fleet will be cut back to 12 A380s:

@SingaporeAir confirms in its HY20/21 results that 7 A380’s have been deemed surplus, part of 26 aircraft to be retired.
No further details, but expect these to be SKF to SKL (pic). This leaves SIA with 12 A380’s:


Image

Ref: https://twitter.com/a380fanclub/status/ ... 6446046209

Does anyone have "further details"?
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Topic Author
Posts: 25652
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:44 pm

Per today's earnings announcement, 26 aircraft have been deemed surplus by the group.

2 x A319
9 x A320
4 x 772ER
4 x 773
7 x A380

Additionally, 7 aircraft previously operated by NokScoot also deemed surplus.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ ... fy2021.pdf
 
User avatar
FrenchPotatoEye
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:03 pm

If SQ still loses money in future, the 12 380s left may also exit fleet.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 12428
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:10 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Per today's earnings announcement, 26 aircraft have been deemed surplus by the group.

2 x A319
9 x A320
4 x 772ER
4 x 773
7 x A380

Additionally, 7 aircraft previously operated by NokScoot also deemed surplus.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/ ... fy2021.pdf

Eh, still either not wanting to admit reality or refusing to show their cards. Other than the A380s these are all planes they were going to be getting rid of in the nearish future anyways.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 10211
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Polot wrote:
Eh, still either not wanting to admit reality or refusing to show their cards. Other than the A380s these are all planes they were going to be getting rid of in the nearish future anyways.


What should they have done? They took an impairment charge. That doesn't commit them to immediate scrapping or selling the aircraft but it does mean they don't expect them ever to fly again for SIA.
 
andrew1996
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Re: SIA to review fleet plan; future of A380 in limbo

Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Sad day but I was expecting more A380s gone judging by other airlines so I guess at least there's hope on the horizon. With just 12 A380s left I suspect SQ will withdraw using the A380 on some of its China+India+ Japan routes and focus the A380 on its Europe and Australian routes. Not sure if A380s will still serve JFK with a reduced fleet as it takes 2-3 A380 to serve JFK daily. Part me also thinks SQ was going to retire these 7 A380s in the next few years anyways when the 777X comes into service.

Its interesting that no 77W were retired even though some of the models are getting old; I suspect it is to keep first class on routes that will not have the A380 anymore. I wonder if the 77W converted to cargo recently will be retired after COVID is over since 1) they removed all the seats and may not want to pay the price to get them back in and 2) they chose the Star Alliance livery one and SQ has used the Star Alliance livery before a plane retires to keep the costs of repainting an aircraft to all white lower. Not sure though but I don't think SQ really needs 27 77Ws with all the A359s they have

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos