Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ironyClad
Topic Author

St Helena (HLE) "The World's Most Useful Airport" - Wendover Productions

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:08 am

The World's Most Useful Airport [Documentary] - Wendover Productions

Some of you may be familiar with the history of St Helena's airport, but Wendover Productions latest video is very interesting. It's incredible to think what a difference an airport can have on remote communities.

Might have to add HLE to the bucket list.

sprxUSA

Re: St Helena (HLE) "The World's Most Useful Airport" - Wendover Productions

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:53 am

I just watched this earlier today. Very interesting. Near the end, discussing future services, I was thinking maybe a S Africa-HLE-Ascension-Brazil run could be maybe a decent try.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

N126DL

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:11 am

I actually watched this also, as I am a Wendover subscriber and saw it before seeing this thread. I love that channel. Epic fail at not realiIng the the weather patterns in the location, but it seems like that may have been the only location with enough land. Also wondered if there was any traffic going to Brazil that could more easily connect elsewhere outside of Europe or Africa.
DH84 E135/145/175/190 CR2/7/9 A319/20/21 A332/3 D95 M80/83/88/90/95 73W/8/9 752/3 763/4 772/L

ClassicLover

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Great documentary about St. Helena Airport. Really enjoyed seeing both the island and hearing the story of the airport. I had known some of it, so it was good to see an update and to hear from those on the ground in St. Helena. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:55 pm

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=ACC-HLE&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=nm&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=

A much more useful route for "outsiders" to visit St Helena would be via Accra, Ghana, which is becoming one of the better connected airports in Africa. At 1328 nautical miles away, this is within range of most aircraft, with transfers possible without being out of the way like backtracking to South Africa.

mjoelnir

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:27 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=ACC-HLE&RANGE=&PATH-COLOR=&PATH-UNITS=nm&PATH-MINIMUM=&SPEED-GROUND=&SPEED-UNITS=kts&RANGE-STYLE=best&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=

A much more useful route for "outsiders" to visit St Helena would be via Accra, Ghana, which is becoming one of the better connected airports in Africa. At 1328 nautical miles away, this is within range of most aircraft, with transfers possible without being out of the way like backtracking to South Africa.

The point is actually about flights being offered. Not everybody has the money to hire a private pane.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:37 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

The point is actually about flights being offered. Not everybody has the money to hire a private pane.

Who said anything about private planes? My point was that the most useful route an airline could offer to connect St Helena to the rest of the world would be Accra, Ghana, as flying back to South Africa is out of the way for most travelers. Other posts mentioned Brazil; I mentioned ACC due to its close proximity (relatively speaking) to St Helena, as a possible connecting point for those who wish to visit the island.

However, given the historical ties between South Africa and St. Helena, I'm not surprised this is the first route. Other routes will develop as time goes on.

rnav2dlrey

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:52 pm

wendover's aviation videos are generally good, but he seems to always make a few significant mistakes/errors in each video that i've watched.

he seems like an intelligent guy; i'm guessing he might intentionally add errors to get his comment section flowing.

kjeld0d

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:37 pm

I thought this airport was nearly unusable due to poor planning exposing it to high winds and wind shear?

NWAESC

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:40 pm

As another user noted, it was great to see a lot of the backstory. Thanks for sharing this!
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

LHUSA

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:47 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
I thought this airport was nearly unusable due to poor planning exposing it to high winds and wind shear?

Errrm, did you not watch the video?

ro1960

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:14 pm

Great documentary on this unusual airport. It seems like the there is only one photo in the database and it could be the Medevac flight talked about in the film.

You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

kjeld0d

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:36 pm

LHUSA wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

Errrm, nope! I figure, given the 300 or so discussions of why the 764 was not as popular as the 763, that someone will summarize it.

MoReZ84

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:55 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

Errrm, nope! I figure, given the 300 or so discussions of why the 764 was not as popular as the 763, that someone will summarize it.

here's a fantastic idea..........go watch the video

On a related note I do think a flight to Accra or Windhoek might be feasible as well but more SA frequencies would be ultimately very beneficial to the island.

Revelation

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:11 am

I agree it was a well made video.

I did catch one or two debatable statements, but that's just because like most a.net members I can be pretty damn pedantic about such things.

I enjoyed the interviews, the tour of the airport, and the overall photography very much.

Wendover has done a large number of aviation related videos that are all well done and quite informative.

kjeld0d wrote:
LHUSA wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

In short, the media overreacted to one set of information. Go figure.

The flights now land in the opposite direction of the early trial flights, despite the predominant tail wind, because it avoids being low and slow on the end of the runway with the biggest wind shear problem.

This means the planes in use are smaller than the originally proposed ones, but no one seems to mind.

This is the early days of the operation, and the video said the operator already has turned a small profit.

I wish the documentary did go more into the operational issues and whether or not the situation will change over time as more data is gathered.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

mjoelnir

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:39 am

MoReZ84 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

On a related note I do think a flight to Accra or Windhoek might be feasible as well but more SA frequencies would be ultimately very beneficial to the island.

The current flight is actually via Windhoek to Johannesburg.

o0OOO0oChris

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:22 am

Thanks for the link. Very good video. It`s hard to get information on how the airport is doing.

What I thought is very interesting is that despite the windshear problems, there wasn`t a single cancled flight in those early years of operation. And I never thought the airline would find a way to make it profitable. I was wrong. Very good news. And they even got a second flight a week. :smile:

Revelation wrote:
The flights now land in the opposite direction of the early trial flights, despite the predominant tail wind, because it avoids being low and slow on the end of the runway with the biggest wind shear problem.

I think they still land from the north, through the problematic windshear and not from south with tailwind. In the video, the plane is coming in from north. I think I read somewhere that the steep approach capability of the E-Series helps a lot to migitate the problem. That`s also why the BAe 146 had less problems.

ironyClad
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 am

rnav2dlrey wrote:
wendover's aviation videos are generally good, but he seems to always make a few significant mistakes/errors in each video that i've watched.

he seems like an intelligent guy; i'm guessing he might intentionally add errors to get his comment section flowing.

He'll have to make another "Every Mistake We've Ever Made" video:

https://youtu.be/VSmseO4dguM

https://youtu.be/xaZ6xXzwnfY

(Yes, technically those are from his other channel).

CarlosSi

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:04 am

A little bit of wind shear isn't the end of the world ;) . Just fly a tad faster then really slam on those brakes on touchdown if normal braking would use too much runway, right?

brucetiki

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:16 am

A good video, and a fascinating look at HLE
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video

DexSwart

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:53 am

I think as much as they push for tourism, one of the big things the airport does, as the video mentions, is connect to diaspora of Saints.

Most of them are in Cape Town and as such flights to South Africa make the most sense. On top of that, SA is the closest for full and advanced medical aid in the need of evac flights.
Durban. Melbourne. Denver. Hong Kong.

GRJGeorge

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:18 am

mjoelnir wrote:
MoReZ84 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

In fact not anymore. The video just jumps to the change but don't mention that there's been a change.
WDH was chosen by Airlink at first as the stop-over both ways, due to them having operations there already and the hope of being granted 5th freedom rights together with the connecting to a CPT-WDH flight...however the Namibian government for some reason didn't want to grant it and had issues with the transfers.
Shortly after the start they realized it's not really necessary to do the tech-stop inbound again and changed the return to non-stop HLE-JNB...since they're also now not allowed to change pax in WDH anyway.
In the meantime Airlink started their own operations at Walvis Bay, JNB-WVB, since SA Express ran into several troubles and suspensions.
So now, since mid-2019, Airlink decided to change the outbound flight to the somewhat more favourable tech-stop position at WVB...so both the JNB and the current seasonal CPT flights use WVB as tech-stop outbound and then nonstop return.

SQ317

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:40 am

GRJGeorge wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
MoReZ84 wrote:

In fact not anymore. The video just jumps to the change but don't mention that there's been a change.
WDH was chosen by Airlink at first as the stop-over both ways, due to them having operations there already and the hope of being granted 5th freedom rights together with the connecting to a CPT-WDH flight...however the Namibian government for some reason didn't want to grant it and had issues with the transfers.
Shortly after the start they realized it's not really necessary to do the tech-stop inbound again and changed the return to non-stop HLE-JNB...since they're also now not allowed to change pax in WDH anyway.
In the meantime Airlink started their own operations at Walvis Bay, JNB-WVB, since SA Express ran into several troubles and suspensions.
So now, since mid-2019, Airlink decided to change the outbound flight to the somewhat more favourable tech-stop position at WVB...so both the JNB and the current seasonal CPT flights use WVB as tech-stop outbound and then nonstop return.

Stopping at WVB, (closer to HLE, lower and cooler), apparently also allows Airlink to carry a full payload rather than restricted to 87 pax https://web.archive.org/web/20190306235 ... y-20190306

VV

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 pm

What's the most useless airport in the world?

Bambel

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm going to watch this video right now but could not resist:

VV wrote:

BER?

aemoreira1981

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:13 pm

N126DL wrote:
I actually watched this also, as I am a Wendover subscriber and saw it before seeing this thread. I love that channel. Epic fail at not realiIng the the weather patterns in the location, but it seems like that may have been the only location with enough land. Also wondered if there was any traffic going to Brazil that could more easily connect elsewhere outside of Europe or Africa.

The problem is the wind that prevents landing in the ideal direction (windshear). That makes the A319, B737 (73G) or the A220-300 (BCS3) the largest plane that can land at HLE...which previously had to have goods shipped in via boat, since aircraft have to land with a tailwind. Currently, 4Z operates to HLE using an E190, with one seat blocked and a fuel stop in WVB. However, bad weather can disrupt the schedule in northern winter. (If 4Z ordered the BCS3, I wonder if this could be done without a fuel stop (needing to tanker fuel for 3,000 miles) once the MTOW increase for the BCS3 is implemented.) with only 2 rows blocked.

If Runway 20 could have been used, HLE could accommodate aircraft as large as a B752. BY had planned on a route from STN or LGW to HLE, with a fuel stop in BGF (although ACC might have made more sense for fuel planning).

ADOB

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:35 pm

VV wrote:

BYJ, CQM...

devron

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:53 pm

Cool documentary. After a trip throughout the south pacific I realize how importent airport are even with 2 or 4 weekly connections.

9252fly

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:10 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
[quote="N126DL"4Z operates to HLE using an E190, with one seat blocked and a fuel stop in WVB. However, bad weather can disrupt the schedule in northern winter. (If 4Z ordered the BCS3, I wonder if this could be done without a fuel stop (needing to tanker fuel for 3,000 miles) once the MTOW increase for the BCS3 is implemented.) with only 2 rows blocked.

In my view, the most ideal aircraft for this route is an A221 which could operate the route non-stop to HLE and likely have enough fuel to hold ASI as an alternate. E190s are much cheaper to acquire so I don't see that happening. WVB will likely continue to be used as a stop en-route to HLE as it's the last opportunity to check the weather before proceeding. Interesting historical fact, WVB was once up until the mid 90s an enclave that was South African territory and returned to Namibia when they gained independence.

kjeld0d

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:34 pm

Revelation wrote:
I agree it was a well made video.

I did catch one or two debatable statements, but that's just because like most a.net members I can be pretty damn pedantic about such things.

I enjoyed the interviews, the tour of the airport, and the overall photography very much.

Wendover has done a large number of aviation related videos that are all well done and quite informative.

This means the planes in use are smaller than the originally proposed ones, but no one seems to mind.

This is the early days of the operation, and the video said the operator already has turned a small profit.

I wish the documentary did go more into the operational issues and whether or not the situation will change over time as more data is gathered.

Perfect summary. Thanks! So the airport doesn't work as originally intended, there are problems with wind shear but they've sorta been glossed over and people are mostly happy.

Revelation

Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:09 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
Perfect summary. Thanks! So the airport doesn't work as originally intended, there are problems with wind shear but they've sorta been glossed over and people are mostly happy.

Thank you for the compliment!

I think the way I would say it is that the problems have been worked around rather than glossed over.

They are operating smaller aircraft than originally intended, but no one is hiding this fact.

As written by others above they chose aircraft with lighter weight so shorter stopping distance with tail wind factored in can be accommodated and picked smaller aircraft that can land with a steeper glide slope so exposure to wind shear is minimized.

Of course this means less pax/cargo payload, but it's not clear to me if the restrictions will be eased as more operational data is gathered, or not. If it does not, the only way to increase pax/cargo handling would be to add flights, but as you say, the status quo is working out OK for now, and it's the early days of this operation.

Personally I wonder if the main issue is that the 737-800 originally targeted just wasn't a good match for the job and wasn't ever really in the cards.

The documentary does a good job of pointing out that no one knows how this really will end up turning out economically.

One thing Wiki points out that I don't think the documentary did:

A freight ship, M/V Helena, handles all freight to the island (some express mail is transported by air). It sails from Cape Town to Saint Helena and Ascension Island, from the beginning of 2018. It uses a wharf at Ruperts Bay which was built to assist the airport construction. It can take a few passengers.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena

Thus one very useful side effect of building the airport was that they had to upgrade the wharf, presumably to land the heavy equipment and materials needed to build the airport, and now it can be used for cargo. This means the airport didn't really replace RMS St. Helena, it just replaced the passenger aspects of it, whereas M/V Helena has replaced the freight aspects.

The freighter looks like:

Ref: https://www.facebook.com/saintsdidnext/ ... 613060434/

I thought I read elsewhere that the island has off-shore facilities to allow tankers to visit and off-load petroleum products.

The outcome of all of this is the island has a much more useful setup moving forward. I think it's reasonable to expect that tourism will grow slowly over time and Saints will feel less isolated especially with regard to access to medical services.

caribny

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:04 pm

I have been fascinated by this extremely isolated and remote island for a while. When news of the shipping ending service was announced I saw in a documentary that there was quite a bit of concern. I guess places like this have long learned to make the best lemonade with the lemons that they have been dealt so I am confident that this project will succeed. The reality is that either the UK moves people off the island, watch them starve, or accept the fact that they will always need help in dealing with their tremendous challenges.

It doesn't take too many visitors to impact an island like this and I can imagine a niche market of big city dwellers wanting to make a one time visit to see a place almost untouched by the rest of the world. I noted that the use of internet isn't something that many tourists will likely engage in due to cost, so it will be a real "off the grid" week.

vfw614

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:32 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Not at all. Most of the traffic is "local", not from overseas. Economical and cultural ties are with South Africa - the JNB/CPT flight(s) replaced a ferry that went to South Africa for decades. For overseas/UK traffic, paper airline ASA suggested a flight from London via Banjul in The Gambia to St. Helena (operated with a wet-leased TUI 737-800).

dcaproducer

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:37 pm

rnav2dlrey wrote:

He actually did a video last year addressing errors and he admitted to making mistakes from time to time. As someone who produces video and documentaries for a living, I can tell you mistakes can happen ;). You hope to catch them.

AaronPGH

Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:40 pm

Very cool documentary. Thanks for posting. Has BA arranged any kind of independent agreement with South African / Airlink for interlining? I know they are Star Alliance, but seems like something that would be beneficial to work out to tap into UK tourism better.

TMccrury

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:23 am

A new addition to my bucket list of places to visit. That is in addition to doing the island hopper run on UA from HNL to GUM. I checked on flights and for a random date in July of 2020, it was about 1000.00 USD out of JNB. Me getting to JNB, depending on if I drive to IAD instead of departing from my home airport of RIC ranges in price from about 900.00 to 2000.00. Guess I'll be saving for a bit on that one.

YLWbased

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:44 am

VV wrote:

HRI
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Embraer did a video about Santa Helena airport back in 2017

https://youtu.be/MXDieYvYrdU

grjplanes

Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:52 pm

It seems today's flights actually didn't go. It went to Walvis Bay, but landed back at CPT an hour ago...see it's rescheduled for tomorrow.

In the video I think it is said that there's been no cancellations...which is technically not correct, as this has happened a few times before, where the flight did actually turn back...but has been rescheduled for the next day then.

Revelation

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 pm

grjplanes wrote:
It seems today's flights actually didn't go. It went to Walvis Bay, but landed back at CPT an hour ago...see it's rescheduled for tomorrow.

In the video I think it is said that there's been no cancellations...which is technically not correct, as this has happened a few times before, where the flight did actually turn back...but has been rescheduled for the next day then.

On one hand I hate the use of such slogans, they put undo pressure on the crews. It's a challenging flight with poor alternates. There will be cancellations, technical or otherwise. The sloganeers need to back off.

On the other hand, given how utterly slagged the airport was in the press a few years back, they could really use some public relations victories.

Hopefully it'll be a steady climb to meeting the airport's goals.

sebasang

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:58 am

Has anyone got stats on how often they used RWY 20 instead of 02. I've got a feeling we'll find 02 wasn't used much - which would beggar the question why all the fuss.

Toinou

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:00 am

Revelation wrote:
The documentary does a good job of pointing out that no one knows how this really will end up turning out economically.

I would say that this is typically a where this aspect is not the first one that will be observed. It is a case where that link has such importance that it will be supported so that it stays with only a marginal look to the economical performance.

vfw614 wrote:
Not at all. Most of the traffic is "local", not from overseas. Economical and cultural ties are with South Africa - the JNB/CPT flight(s) replaced a ferry that went to South Africa for decades.

I would be very interested if someone could provide numbers for that fact.
I agree that the ship linked the island with South Africa but it doesn't mean that people did not go on to the UK. I have been unable to see where most Saints settle when they leave the island but I remember reading someone that since the got back UK citizenship, they move more to the UK. Can someone provide numbers about where goes Saint-Helena emigration? And for where the traffic is headed?

edina

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:34 am

Toinou wrote:
Revelation wrote:

I would say that this is typically a where this aspect is not the first one that will be observed. It is a case where that link has such importance that it will be supported so that it stays with only a marginal look to the economical performance.

vfw614 wrote:
Not at all. Most of the traffic is "local", not from overseas. Economical and cultural ties are with South Africa - the JNB/CPT flight(s) replaced a ferry that went to South Africa for decades.

I would be very interested if someone could provide numbers for that fact.
I agree that the ship linked the island with South Africa but it doesn't mean that people did not go on to the UK. I have been unable to see where most Saints settle when they leave the island but I remember reading someone that since the got back UK citizenship, they move more to the UK. Can someone provide numbers about where goes Saint-Helena emigration? And for where the traffic is headed?

Saints frequently travelled to the UK pre HLE. There is a sizeable Saint diaspora in the Wiltshire town of Swindon a.k.a. Swindelena to many of them. Many, needing faster access, would travel via Ascension Island and the RAF airbridge flight to BZZ.
Worked on - Caravelle Mercure A300 A320 F27 SD3-60 BAe146 747-100/200/400 DC10-30 767 777 737-400 757 A319 A321

Revelation

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Toinou wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Indeed. I've read many reports that say the economic justification for the airport was to bring the island to self sufficiency via increased tourism. To me that always seemed to be a big ask. I agree that now that the link is in place it will be supported regardless of economic results, it's just too important a resource to allow it to go away.

2travel2know2

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:49 pm

B737-600 or A318 would have been ideal for HLE range and runway.
As it has probably been discussed before, the major O/D markets for HLE are South Africa (CPT more than JNB), ASI Ascension Island and LON.
While HLE-REC could open the island to South America and perhaps some North American connecting traffic, it's quite doubtful Brazilian G3 or AD would dare flying to HLE.
Two major things work against HLE - South America flights: St Helena hardly has any ties with South America and the only place in South America which could have some of a sustainable demand for HLE is MPN (same kind of traffic as ASI).
If HLE was located at the same distance it's from REC, but from SAO, surely the island would have some appeal and perhaps may even attract high end Brazilian tourism.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos