marcogr12
Topic Author

Greek Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Hello and Happy New Year everybody! Since i couldn't find anything recent to tie it up to, i thought i'd open up this thread concerning about greek aviation, not just ATH..
So far for 2020 what we know is:

-Aegean will be resuming seasonal ATH-BHX and opening up ATH-NUE,ATH-BIO
It will also open up 5 new directs flights from SKG to BCN,FCO,MXP,BRU,TXL
-Norwegian will start JFK-ATH earlier this year, from April but so will DL..
-Volotea will be connecting ATH to MRS,SPU,LYS,CAG, HER-JMK,SKG,LYS,GOA, SKG-JMK, LYS-CFU
-Ryanair will be resuming domestic ATH-CHQ and opening ATH-TLS,ATH-LWK, SKG-PRG,SKG-BOD,SKG-EVN
-Transavia will be connecting MPL to ATH,HER and BRU to SKG,HER,CFU
-Cyprus Airways, after re-connecting ATH to PFO (where A3 followed suit), will be opening seasonal ATH-TLV..I really don't know how much profit margin is there left on that route considering the fact it will be going against A3,LY,FR,Arkia,Israir..Alitalia OTOH won't be resuming this route..Cyprus will also do the usual seasonal to greek islands, with new flights to CFU,JTR,PVK

-Qatar Airways is expanding in Greece more and more..ATH-DOH goes 4daily..It will also fly DOH-JTR seasonally, on the path of the successful DOH-JMK..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

P1aneMad

Re: Greek Aviation Thread 2020

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Happy New Year!
This topic was long overdue.

FR today announced SKG-EVN and ATH-LWN, that is Shirak Armenia airport.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:05 pm

There is more:

Jet2 is taking Greece by storm presumably to cover TCX gaps and not only..New routes this year will be:
MAN to JMK,JTR,MJT,KLX,PVK,JSI
BHX to JTR,EFL,JSI,PVK
STN to JMK,JTR,JSI,KLX,MJT
BFS to CFU

BA is upping frequencies on LGW-SKG to 9w, on LHR-EFL,PVK by 1 per week, LHR-CFU will be double daily, LHR-JMK will be daily, and they're opening up LHR-RHO 1w and LGW-CFU 2w..
Gulf Air will be connecting Mykonos to BAH on triangular route BAH-JMK-ATH-BAH 3w
Saudia is reopening RUH-ATH along with JED-ATH

Aer Lingus will be flying seasonally DUB-RHO 2w
Greek carrier Ellinair is enhancing connections to Russia,Ukraine and Azerbaidjan..All flights to Kyiv will be transferred to Zhuliany (SKG,HER,CFU,ZTH)
It is also opening GYD-SKG, HKR-HER,ODS-HER

The Vienna routes to the two largest cities in Greece, ATH and SKG are now a bloodbath and nobody knows if all carriers can make it..ATH has got 4: A3,OS,W6,OE and SKG 3: OS,W6,OE..All of them year-round..for now..
To be continued with more news...

georgiabill

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:45 pm

Does anyone think in 2021 either DY or DL might attempt an ATH-BOS-ATH summer seasonal 3x or 4x weekly mid may to mid october?

debonair

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Any news regarding FlyGr8: https://www.flygr8.com/ ? Is there B737 SX-DRA stored or active? Quite strange to start a new Greek airline in October!
Any news regarding ASTRA AIRLINES? Any updates to restart summer 2020; or is the story finally over?

GZM1

Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:40 am

debonair wrote:
Any news regarding FlyGr8: https://www.flygr8.com/ ? Is there B737 SX-DRA stored or active? Quite strange to start a new Greek airline in October!
Any news regarding ASTRA AIRLINES? Any updates to restart summer 2020; or is the story finally over?

SX-DRA? ΩΧ! (ωχ! means oh!) OH! Another Greek DRAma!
But still...it could mean DRAchma...or DRAstic...
Ok,let’s stop DRAma-tising!

PS. Love the thread!
It’s all Greek to me! Aeroplane Basic Category Cycle Dynamic Economics Ecstasy Fantasy Galaxy Geometry Harmony History Horizon Idea Logic Magnetism Music Mystery Nautical Orchestra Organism Phenomenon Political Problem Symphony Technology Telephone Zone

SCQ83

Re: Greek Aviation Thread - 2020

Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:17 am

marcogr12 wrote:
Hello and Happy New Year everybody! Since i couldn't find anything recent to tie it up to, i thought i'd open up this thread concerning about greek aviation, not just ATH..

Those new routes out of SKG are interesting. I reckon that if in 2021 they make a new round out of SKG, MAD would be a top candidate. I think there has never been a MAD-SKG flight. I find surprising though that Aegean doesn't fly SKG-London. Is it because there is so much competition in that city pair?

From ATH to Spain in summer now Aegean will fly to MAD, BCN, VLC, AGP, BIO and IBZ. I could see them launching SVQ and maybe ALC in the future.

Blerg

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:56 am

Starting from 31.03.2020 Air Serbia will be boosting its presence in Greece:

BEG-ATH 7 to 10
BEG-SKG 7 to 8

I know it's not really Greece but we could also include Cyprus in this thread? It's a large market that also belongs to the Hellenic world.

P1aneMad

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:25 am

Blerg wrote:

BEG-ATH 7 to 10
BEG-SKG 7 to 8

I know it's not really Greece but we could also include Cyprus in this thread? It's a large market that also belongs to the Hellenic world.

:thumbsup:
What is the situation with flights to Greece from Kraljevo (KVO), Nis (INI) and Banja Luka (BNX) for 2020?
Any info on charter traffic?
Many thanks for all info.

Blerg

Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:37 am

P1aneMad wrote:
Blerg wrote:

BEG-ATH 7 to 10
BEG-SKG 7 to 8

:thumbsup:
What is the situation with flights to Greece from Kraljevo (KVO), Nis (INI) and Banja Luka (BNX) for 2020?
Any info on charter traffic?
Many thanks for all info.

KVO-SKG is planned for summer, two weekly on the ATR-72. Last month JU inaugurated KVO-VIE and so far loads have been fantastic. I am sure SKG will do really well as road infrastructure from south-west Serbia to Greece is not the best, take at least two hours to reach the highway around Nis. Flight should be around an hour so it will further stimulate demand. It also helps that the area around KVO is quite wealthy.

BNX first got charters to Turkey and then last year charter flights to Athens were added. I think they should resume in 2020 again. However real growth will come from JU and BEG where growth in charter traffic is expected to be around 15%. JU will have three B733 exclusively flying charter flights and then A319s being added here and there. There will be between 9 and 15 daily charter flights in 2020 (current estimate). Greece should dominate once again as is the case each year.

As for INI, from what I know there are no plans to introduce flights to Greece, mostly because northern Greece is too close so most end up driving. I think SKG is about three, four hours from Nish.

Draken21fx

Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am

Any news on SKG airport "redevelopment". When is it planned to finish? The situation last time I passed by was awful. Overcrowded facilities. No place to sit etc. Topping my list of worst airports I have been to.

davidjohnson6

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:15 pm

If KVO-SKG is to work, then KVO-VIE has to achieve consistent performance. There have been 6 flights on KVO-VIE so far since the route started. Out of those 6 flights, 4 of them have been delayed by about 3 hours each, presumably due to fog. If pax in KVO learn that air routes are very prone to lengthy delays and go back to using BEG, then KVO-SKG might see some lousy load factors

Blerg

Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:23 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
If KVO-SKG is to work, then KVO-VIE has to achieve consistent performance. There have been 6 flights on KVO-VIE so far since the route started. Out of those 6 flights, 4 of them have been delayed by about 3 hours each, presumably due to fog. If pax in KVO learn that air routes are very prone to lengthy delays and go back to using BEG, then KVO-SKG might see some lousy load factors

Yes fog is to blame as well as runway limitations at KVO. Government just issued a tender for the construction of a new runway there. BEG is not that easy to reach from that region, sure there is a highway from Chachak now but there are still areas further away for whom BEG isn't that close. Road network in this area is not the best and not to mention that KVO-VIE is cheaper than what is offered from BEG.

As for SKG flights, they are supposed to summer seasonal flights. From what I know Serbia doesn't have fog issues during that time. ;)

OA412

Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:00 pm

AA is resuming seasonal ORD-ATH service inaugurated last year and extending the season by one month to October 23.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

marcogr12
Topic Author

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:25 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Those new routes out of SKG are interesting. I reckon that if in 2021 they make a new round out of SKG, MAD would be a top candidate. I think there has never been a MAD-SKG flight. I find surprising though that Aegean doesn't fly SKG-London. Is it because there is so much competition in that city pair?

From ATH to Spain in summer now Aegean will fly to MAD, BCN, VLC, AGP, BIO and IBZ. I could see them launching SVQ and maybe ALC in the future.

Yes, you are right,apart from a few summer charters by greek airliners,there has never been a scheduled MAD-SKG and it's one of the most wanted routes..As for A3 not flying SKG-LON,well they asked for slots at LHR for S20 but didn't get them. The competition is fierce on the route with U2,FR,W6,Jet2,BA but LHR is a whole lot different ballgame..Plus, a lot of Greeks would prefer Aegean's service to LCCs..In summer U2 and BA charge a fortune with prices reaching 500-600rtn sometimes..For the strong ATH market it may be usual, for the northern greek market is not and it's one of the questions if there ever was a return on the LHR market (OA used to fly it, back in the monopoly days),how profitable would an airline be, either BA or A3..Personally,although BA's short-haul is no different to an LCC i would prefer it over A3 for one reason only, BA's great Heathrow network.. We will see what happens next year ..

OA260

Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:54 pm

Draken21fx wrote:
Any news on SKG airport "redevelopment". When is it planned to finish? The situation last time I passed by was awful. Overcrowded facilities. No place to sit etc. Topping my list of worst airports I have been to.

SKG has been badly in need of an upgrade for years now but then the crisis hit and SKG suffered a lot. Its good to see it finally getting the investment so that it can reach its full potential. I was there a few weeks ago and took these photos :

Blerg

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:25 am

marcogr12 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Yes, you are right,apart from a few summer charters by greek airliners,there has never been a scheduled MAD-SKG and it's one of the most wanted routes..As for A3 not flying SKG-LON,well they asked for slots at LHR for S20 but didn't get them. The competition is fierce on the route with U2,FR,W6,Jet2,BA but LHR is a whole lot different ballgame..Plus, a lot of Greeks would prefer Aegean's service to LCCs..In summer U2 and BA charge a fortune with prices reaching 500-600rtn sometimes..For the strong ATH market it may be usual, for the northern greek market is not and it's one of the questions if there ever was a return on the LHR market (OA used to fly it, back in the monopoly days),how profitable would an airline be, either BA or A3..Personally,although BA's short-haul is no different to an LCC i would prefer it over A3 for one reason only, BA's great Heathrow network.. We will see what happens next year ..

Could the high fares be also explained by high airport charges on both ends? I don't know how expensive LGW is but ATH or LHR are not known to be on the cheaper end.

SCQ83

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:02 am

Regarding MAD, as in the last few years, Iberia is adding a new summer island destination. This year is Kefalonia:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-in-3q20/

Iberia Express in the 3rd quarter of 2020 is adding new seasonal route to Greece, with the scheduling of Madrid – Kefallinia route. From 02JUL20 to 06SEP20, Airbus A320 aircraft will operate this route twice weekly.

Also an only-August service, Air Europa will serve Santorini. UX started Athens last summer:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... ce-in-s20/

Air Europa in the 3rd quarter of 2020 plans to offer new seasonal route to Greece, as the airline schedules Madrid – Thira service. From 03JUL20 to 01SEP20, the airline’s Boeing 737-800 aircraft operates this route twice weekly

In S20, Iberia will serve 6 Greek airports: ATH, CFU, EFL, HER, JMK and JTR. Air Europa will serve ATH and JTR.

In addition, as mentioned by the OP, Aegean will start SKG-BCN and ATH-BIO. Vueling operated a few summers ago BIO-ATH and even BIO-JTR.

Kefalonia is an interesting choice for Iberia. Wouldn't have it make more sense something like RHO/KGS/SKG? For instance in S15, at the heyday of Vueling and before the economic turmoil of Barcelona, Vueling served that summer 8 destinations in Greece: ATH, CFU, HER, JMK, JTR, KGS, RHO and SKG (this year only 5 as ATH, KGS, RHO and SKG have been cancelled ever since).

Blerg wrote:

Could the high fares be also explained by high airport charges on both ends? I don't know how expensive LGW is but ATH or LHR are not known to be on the cheaper end.[/quote]

EUR 500 return in peak summer for a relatively long flight like SKG-LON doesn't seem something particularly weird. London has a big VFR (for Greece certainly as many Greeks live/have moved to London, and SKG is the gateway for a big region = big VFR) coupled with an extremely powerful big market looking for sun (which Greece offers). Even in something much shorter and less-sun friendly like LON-SCQ 250/300 EUR one way fares in Ryanair or easyJet are common in summer.

OA260

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:42 am

Athens International Airport again ranked 22nd among the European Union airports in passenger traffic last year, according to Eurostat, but its annual growth rate of 11.1 percent was almost twice the EU average of 6 percent and far above the national average of 8.1 percent. It was also the third highest among the bloc’s top 30 airports.

www.ekathimerini.com/247464/article/eka ... owth-in-eu

Ethiopian Airlines resumes flights to Athens following 18-year hiatus

Ethiopian Airlines Group CEO Tewolde GebreMariam voiced his enthusiasm for the resumption of direct flights to the Greek capital, saying that Athens will serve as a key destination in a continuously expanding European network.

www.tornosnews.gr/en/transport/airlines ... iatus.html

Blerg

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:16 am

Will be interesting to see how ET performs in ATH. Their 03.00 arrival isn't particularly appealing especially when you have other airlines (TK, EK, QR, MS...) offering flights at much more convenient hours.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:46 pm

I think it will perform well given the demand for Kenya,Jo'burg and the huge nigerian community in Greece..OA used to serve directly Nairobi and Jo'burg in its heyday..A3 has been losing a lot of traffic to TK,AZ,AF,LH by not flying to Lagos,Abuja,Addis Abbaba or Nairobi all these years and one hopes that with the advent of the NEOs they might rethink it since 6h flights in a 174config are totally plausible..

Two other airports in Greece that have shown excellent performance are KLX and IOA...Kalamata is on the up and up every year,as the only airport in South Peloponnese giving access to a vast array of beaches and dreamy places like Mystras,Monemvasia or the small island of Elafonissi..A3 has a seasonal base, BA is flying from its grande hub of LHR and this year Jet2 is coming with flights from MAN and STN, Transavia France with flights from ORY, FR is opening GDN and MXP and Volotea flights to Venice..The luxury resort of Costa Navarino,which is about to get even bigger,is drawing high end tourists from all over the world..

Ioannina, the small but extremely picturesque capital city of Epirus and University city,with its lake,castles,fortresses and lush greenery went from only flights to ATH to flights to Scandinavia in just 2years time,all achieved by the commendable efforts of the city mayor and its team..Plus,Ioannina is near Igoumenitsa-Corfu line,Pindos Mountains and its NATURA bear habitat, near the Metsovo ski village, and the Syvota area with crystal beaches..SAS,Jettime and Wideroe will provide direct flights this year from ARN,GOT,CPH,BLL,OSL,TRD..And there are talks to attract airlines from Germany like Condor and from nearby Italy..

P1aneMad

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:38 am

Athens International Airport reported traffic results for 2019.

Overall, in the year 2019, the Athens International Airport recorded an all-time high performance with 25.57 million
passengers, surpassing previous year’s traffic by 1.4 million (+6%). This outcome was solely driven by the robust growth
of the international market (+1.4 million or +8.6%), while the domestic market retained prior-year levels (+0.3%).

https://www.aia.gr/userfiles/675393df-ab1a-4b77-826c-f3096a3d7f12/pax_2019_dec.pdf

Domestic traffic largely stagnated due to Ryanair cutting almost all of their network between Greek destinations. Also the train journey between the two largest cities Athens and Thessaloniki was reduced and quality of service also improved. During the later moths of 2019 train traffic numbers between the two cities have increased between 40-50% compared with 2018.
Also the number of people traveling by boat to and from the islands increased last year further denting demand for air travel.
On the other hand international traffic figures continued to be excellent and accounts for the 6% increase in overall traffic.

Detroit313

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm

OA412 wrote:
AA is resuming seasonal ORD-ATH service inaugurated last year and extending the season by one month to October 23.

Also, it seems like PHL - ATH will run for 10 extra days this year. It is ending on October the 7th.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Air France seasonal expansion in Greece from 13Jul-30 Aug 2020..New flights from CDG to SKG,JMK,JTR..all with A320
CDG-SKG every 3,4,6
CDG-JMK every 1,3
CDG-JTR every 3

https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pres ... stinations

Meanwhile the CDG-HER which was introduced 3w last,goes daily this summer....Paris-HER is huge market..A3 flies daily, AF will do so, U2 4w, Transavia France flies 3-4 daily! and there are numerous ASL charters..

In other news, Blue Air will be connecting ATH and LCA with BCM 2w but Wizzair seems to be dropping VNO-ATH..I guess FR won that route too against Wizz,as it did on ATH-SOF/OTP..Now we are waiting to see the results of the..austrian LCC bloodbath
On a happier note United will be flying its EWR-ATH with the brand new 787-10 instead of the 764! Yay!..Although as an avgeek i love vintage planes like the rare 764, can't help but feel excited about the beautiful 787-10..!

Blerg

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:06 am

marcogr12 wrote:
Air France seasonal expansion in Greece from 13Jul-30 Aug 2020..New flights from CDG to SKG,JMK,JTR..all with A320
CDG-SKG every 3,4,6
CDG-JMK every 1,3
CDG-JTR every 3

https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pres ... stinations

Meanwhile the CDG-HER which was introduced 3w last,goes daily this summer....Paris-HER is huge market..A3 flies daily, AF will do so, U2 4w, Transavia France flies 3-4 daily! and there are numerous ASL charters..

In other news, Blue Air will be connecting ATH and LCA with BCM 2w but Wizzair seems to be dropping VNO-ATH..I guess FR won that route too against Wizz,as it did on ATH-SOF/OTP..Now we are waiting to see the results of the..austrian LCC bloodbath
On a happier note United will be flying its EWR-ATH with the brand new 787-10 instead of the 764! Yay!..Although as an avgeek i love vintage planes like the rare 764, can't help but feel excited about the beautiful 787-10..!

Anyone know what the product on UA's B764 is like? All of their competitors offer flights with relatively new products: Delta on the A333, Emirates on the B777 and Norwegian on the Dreamliner.

I wonder if in the future we might see some more destinations added from the US to Greece. I wonder if a route like Miami or Los Angeles could work on a summer seasonal basis. After all, Athens is a big city (4 million), Greeks travel a lot, they have a massive diaspora and the country is an extremely popular tourist destination.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:47 am

Well ATH is in need of flights to BOS,IAD and LAX, even if seasonal..Athens has 5mil. population plus the catchment area it serves is so big,from Peloponnese to Evia and Central Greece so one might say 7million are easily reached..But a big gap for ATH airport is the total lack of destinations to S.America and almost no flights to India,SE Asia, with the exception of Singapore and Beijing (back in its heydays there were flights to Tokyo,S.Paolo,Bangkok and of course SYD/MEL)

Blerg

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:49 am

marcogr12 wrote:
Well ATH is in need of flights to BOS,IAD and LAX, even if seasonal..Athens has 5mil. population plus the catchment area it serves is so big,from Peloponnese to Evia and Central Greece so one might say 7million are easily reached..But a big gap for ATH airport is the total lack of destinations to S.America and almost no flights to India,SE Asia, with the exception of Singapore and Beijing (back in its heydays there were flights to Tokyo,S.Paolo,Bangkok and of course SYD/MEL)

Yeah but back then the Persian Gulf carriers and TK weren't such big players, this has since changed. Just look at the amount of seats offered to places like IST, DOH or DXB. I am sure most of the Asian and Australian traffic flies through those hubs.

Also isn't Athens getting flights from Shanghai this year? Juneyao Airlines or something like that.

OA260

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 am

ATH-PVG is 3 times a week on Tues/Thurs/Sun with 789, Juneyao .

P1aneMad

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Funding for new Heraklion (HER) airport secured.

Today the EIB has agreed to provide a 180-million-euro loan to support the construction of the new Heraklion International Airport on the island of Crete.
The new airport will replace the current airport serving Heraklion.
During the summer tourism season, the existing airport is heavily congested and cannot handle additional passengers at the required οptimal level of service using the newest security methods.
The new airport will be built at Kasteli, 30 kilometers (19 miles) from Heraklion. The existing airport will be closed once the new airport is operational.
The 28-year EIB loan to the Hellenic Republic will finance the state’s contribution to the 517-million-euro project.
Construction of the new Heraklion airport is expected to take five years. The project will include a new 18 km (11-mile) long motorway and 6 km (3.7 mile) long access road.

Operator of the new airport will be a joint venture between Greece's GEK-Terna group and India's GMR.
It is expected to become operational by mid 2024 by which time the current HER will close.

More info: https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/01/23/greece-signs-loan-agreement-with-european-investment-bank-for-new-heraklion-airport/

OA412

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:42 pm

Blerg wrote:
Anyone know what the product on UA's B764 is like? All of their competitors offer flights with relatively new products: Delta on the A333, Emirates on the B777 and Norwegian on the Dreamliner.

UA will no longer be flying the 764 to ATH. They're upgauging the flight to the 787-10.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Blerg

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:45 am

OA412 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

UA will no longer be flying the 764 to ATH. They're upgauging the flight to the 787-10.

I'm aware of that but that wasn't my question. I was asking how competitive their B764 is compared to what their competition is sending to Athens. After all they have been sending the 764 for what? Two years now?

DALCE

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:43 am

Good to hear that finally the construction of the new airport near Kasteli will start! What will happen to the military currently in Kasteli? will they move to CHQ or will the new airport be used both for the military and civil?
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,CS3,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

Detroit313

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:45 pm

Don't forget that AA flies brand new 787-8s from ORD to ATH too. So ATH sees the 787 quite often already.

Blerg

Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:52 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Don't forget that AA flies brand new 787-8s from ORD to ATH too. So ATH sees the 787 quite often already.

Seems like the B787 did wonders for Athens, I guess it allowed many airlines to return or launch flights. There is Scoot and Ethiopian from the top of my head. TK also tends to send the 789 while QR sent the B788 in the past. All this in addition to the ones we already mentioned.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:57 pm

TK not so much as QR and EY..TK in summer sends the bigger 777-300ER..This year El Al and Air Europa also did and of course Norwegian..

Blerg

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:55 am

marcogr12 wrote:
TK not so much as QR and EY..TK in summer sends the bigger 777-300ER..This year El Al and Air Europa also did and of course Norwegian..

TK 1842/3 that departs from Athens at 20.10 is currently operated by the B789. In summer capacity is usually increased to a mix of A333 and B777. As for Qatar but from what I can see this winter they are sending a mix of A320 and A333, seems like the route matured enough to be upgauged from the 787 to 330.

P1aneMad

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:10 am

Norwegian's JFK route was the big surprise for me last year. They launched flights and started selling tickets way too late in the season and with flights starting in the first week of July.
Also their equipment was all over the place due to their 787 engine troubles and were using whatever leased frame they could find in the ACMI market but apparently they were quite successful and this year they are starting flights earlier than anyone else.
And if you book with them right now you can get a return ticket for €251.20 all taxes included!

Blerg

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:35 am

I wonder if DY was in a better financial shape, if they might have considered ATH as a future base, both short-haul and long-haul. Yes Aegean is a fantastic airline but I wouldn't really call them affordable most of the time. Their fares can and do get quite high especially in markets with limited competition.

P1aneMad

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:05 pm

I believe both Ryanair and Volotea have beaten them to the LCCs based in ATH and SKG punch. Their costs ain't lower and they are in very big financial trouble to go in a four way battle.
Their seasonal flights from their home bases in Scandinavia seem to work well. Being the only LCC on those four routes certainly helps.

Blerg

Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:07 pm

P1aneMad wrote:
I believe both Ryanair and Volotea have beaten them to the LCCs based in ATH and SKG punch. Their costs ain't lower and they are in very big financial trouble to go in a four way battle.
Their seasonal flights from their home bases in Scandinavia seem to work well. Being the only LCC on those four routes certainly helps.

Aegean managed to defeat Ryanair on many markets and their costs are higher than FR's. Maybe they could focus on long-haul though I don't know what other routes they could try. Isn't New York the only crew base they have in the US?

marcogr12
Topic Author

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Actually A3 did defeat FR on domestic routes but did not defeat Volotea which flies ATH-HER,RHO,JMK,JTR..On the other hand FR defeated A3 on SKG-CHQ and recently decided to restart ATH-CHQ (God knows why and their way of thinking)..As for longhaul it's wishful thinking..So far they have no intention of doing..Most likely they are looking to expand with the Neos to more destinations in ME, India and ex-Soviet countries (the known..-stans)..They are very cautious each year how they expand and if they need to expand..I think in the next few years consolidation phase is in the cards where ATH is concerned, upping frequencies, replacing older A320s and opening a few more euro routes..

Detroit313

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:00 pm

I wonder if American Airlines is going to extend ORD - ATH even more in 2021. It did so well last year that they extended it by 1 month this year.

With so many Greeks in Chicago and no competition I could see this route doing well for 8-9 months a year. March - November would be perfect.

New York is getting kind of saturated with United, Delta, Emirates and Norwegian, but they are all still full so there is huge demand I guess.

Blerg

Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:13 am

Given how well Volotea seems to be doing in Greece, I wonder if they might consider LCA-ATH in the future. It's a relatively competitive market but it's also a massive one with, from what I remember, 1.1 million passengers per year.
TUS seems to be out of the picture leaving Aegean, Blue Air and Cyprus Airways.

Blerg

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:06 pm

Anyone know if Aegean operated flights to Kuwait?

nsapounas

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Blerg wrote:

Yes they used to fly in the past. They had resumed it for a summer but then they cancelled it again. According to an AIA article on routes online, Kuwait Airways will start flights to ATH this year

Blerg

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:51 pm

nsapounas wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Yes they used to fly in the past. They had resumed it for a summer but then they cancelled it again. According to an AIA article on routes online, Kuwait Airways will start flights to ATH this year

Interesting how those flights did not work out in the end. Do you know if KU plans on cooperating with A3 or will they be on their own in Athens?

nsapounas

Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:23 pm

Blerg wrote:
nsapounas wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Interesting how those flights did not work out in the end. Do you know if KU plans on cooperating with A3 or will they be on their own in Athens?

All I know is what is written in the article below. GDS do not show any direct KWI-ATH for the time being.

Aegean codeshare with Etihad to KWI via Abu Dhabi..

https://www.routesonline.com/airports/2360/athens-international-airport-sa-eleftherios-venizelos/news/288790/2020-a-summer-summary

Blerg

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:32 am

That article is quite interesting especially seeing how many new additions there will be in summer 2020. I wonder how much room there is left to grow with current gates and overall capacity? Athens airport tends to be overcrowded in summer, especially in the morning.

nsapounas

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Blerg wrote:
That article is quite interesting especially seeing how many new additions there will be in summer 2020. I wonder how much room there is left to grow with current gates and overall capacity? Athens airport tends to be overcrowded in summer, especially in the morning.

The main terminal building is being expanded and it is almost completed. It will have more check in counters, lounges etc.

There is a tender currently running for the expansion of the satellite terminal by roughly 2,000square meters and the airport will soon issue tender for a new terminal building (please read the article below)

https://ypodomes.com/master-plan-for-athens-international-airport-approved/

Blerg

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm

nsapounas wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The main terminal building is being expanded and it is almost completed. It will have more check in counters, lounges etc.

There is a tender currently running for the expansion of the satellite terminal by roughly 2,000square meters and the airport will soon issue tender for a new terminal building (please read the article below)

https://ypodomes.com/master-plan-for-athens-international-airport-approved/

Thanks for the link. Expanding the satellite terminal is definitely a step in the right direction though I wonder in what direction they might go. Could they add more gates if they link it with the main terminal building or will they add more space towards the west, extending it. I guess we will have to wait and see once the plan comes out.

I remember a time when Athens was quite silent and the satellite terminal was shut down. Today all gates seem to be used up mostly by LCCs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos