Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Santa Maria, CA (SMX) New Service Announcement Jan 10 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:43 am

Santa Maria, CA Public Airport (SMX) has called a press conference for Friday January 10, 2020.

The press conference will be to announce "new routes for flights beginning later this year which will connect to great domestic and international destinations."
http://www.facebook.com/events/442478589964009/

Currently SMX's only service is Allegiant to LAS 3X or 4X weekly.

Assuming the wording in the announcement is accurate ("routes") it sounds like more than one destination.

I don't expect a large level of new SMX service since San Luis Obispo (SBP) is only 35 miles north and Santa Barbara (SBA) is only 60 miles south. SMX does have a new service incentive but that only applies to Phoenix, Denver or Salt Lake City flights. Flights to one of those hubs would be a surprise to me.

But any new attempt at flights from SMX is nice to see.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

zackary747

Re: Santa Maria, CA (SMX) New Service Announcement Jan 10 2020

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:53 am

More routes from Allegiant possibly?

They're suppose to announce their Mexico service soon. Maybe they'll announce some domestic destinations as well for SMX and others.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

jbpdx

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:56 am

Santa Maria. Isn’t that the town where the pods were coming from in Invasion of the Body Snatchers?
^

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:05 am

zackary747 wrote:

They're suppose to announce their Mexico service soon. Maybe they'll announce some domestic destinations as well for SMX and others.

There is no FIS at SMX so Mexico flights seem unlikely.

jbpdx wrote:
Santa Maria. Isn’t that the town where the pods were coming from in Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

In the original version it was Santa MIRA, CA.

zackary747

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:06 am

FATFlyer wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

There is no FIS at SMX so Mexico flights seem unlikely.

jbpdx wrote:

In the original version it was Santa MIRA, CA.

Read my post one more time. "Maybe they'll announce some domestic destinations as well for SMX and others."
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:25 am

zackary747 wrote:
Read my post one more time. "Maybe they'll announce some domestic destinations as well for SMX and others."

I didn't dispute Allegiant domestic destinations, only your comment about Mexico since it seemed like you were also thinking about that for SMX.

However, if you read my post new Allegiant domestic routes does not seem likely since the press release says "which will connect to great domestic and international destinations." Allegiant does not do connections so I don't think they would mention connections in the release if it was G4.

If you want to discuss specific Allegiant domestic routes then among the western destinations: G4 tried SMX-Phoenix in the past and dropped it; PSP would not make sense; LAX and OAK seems unlikely given the proximity of other airline service; SAN would compete with AS starting flights 30 miles away at SBP this year.

SeaDoo

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:48 am

My first guess would be UA to SFO. If it is truly multiple routes, then add in another UA flight (first guess for the second flight is DEN and the second guess for the second flight is LAX) When UA previously served SMX, did they have flights to LAX?

My second guess would be AA to PHX.

It would be interesting to see if there is any chance of AS entering. It seems to small and far to be served from SEA, but I am guessing if you asked me if they would have service from SEA to STS and SPB, I didn't see those routes coming. I also would have thought with the MRY service, Seattle would have been served (also showing why I don't work in route planning.)

ericm2031

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:53 am

With G4 not allowing connecting flights on one ticket, if read literally, then that would eliminate them...although SMX-AZA would be a natural add for them.

I could see SMX becoming a ULCC hub for the Central Coast at some point as it offers much lower costs than SBA and SBP. Relocate F9 from SBA and attract NK and SY in there.

Something more out of left field would be a Canadian carrier (maybe a LCC/ULCC) in there. There is quite a bit of traffic between the Central Coast and Canada, and I have heard there has been interest in the past.

If it's a traditional carrier, and includes "routes" then it would probably either be UA to SFO/DEN or AA to PHX/DFW although I kind of think that one is a little less likely than UA...or they could split the difference and do UA to DEN and AA to PHX.

AS is also trying to grab a chunk of the market, but with new routes SBP-SAN/PDX and a 2nd daily SBA-SEA, that would seem premature to add even another route so soon.

GTFspotter

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:01 am

SMX used to get United and I believe American (don't remember where they flew to) along with Allegiant as well. The problem I see with this is there is only one stand at the terminal. Granted, G4 is only occupying that ramp space 3/4 times weekly for roughly 1/1.5 hours during the days they are here. It would be nice to see some more activity!

psa1011

Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:28 am

UA tried SFO a couple of years ago, so that seems unlikely but I could be wrong.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:16 am

There is currently no DL service at SBP. I suppose it is possible this might be a SMX-SLC to serve the Central Coast.

flyboy7974

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:18 am

My guess AA 1X daily to PHX/DFW each

Ionosphere

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:32 am

Sounds like something Contour would be interested in

N292UX

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:44 am

UA to DEN seems possible.

sbaflyer

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:47 am

psa1011 wrote:
UA tried SFO a couple of years ago, so that seems unlikely but I could be wrong.

They flew LAX-SMX for years with EMB-120. After those retired, they moved service to SFO which ultimately ended.

WALmsp

Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:59 am

FATFlyer wrote:
There is currently no DL service at SBP. I suppose it is possible this might be a SMX-SLC to serve the Central Coast.

But there is 3x SBA-SLC on DL so flying from SMX may not work
In memory of my Dad, Robert "Bob" Fenrich, WAL 1964-1979, MSP ONT LAX

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 am

WALmsp wrote:
FATFlyer wrote:

But there is 3x SBA-SLC on DL so flying from SMX may not work

It is flown from SBA (60 miles south) but not from SBP (30 miles north). There is no DL service at SBP.

DEN, DFW, LAX, PDX, PHX, SAN, SEA and SFO are all flown (or will be) from both SBA and SBP.

The only other possible route that comes to my mind would be SMF. But there are more state employees in San Luis Obispo than in Santa Maria.

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:49 am

It would not surprise me the least if it turned out to be AS with routes to SEA and maybe SAN. It'll be interesting to see what that announcement will be...if it really happens.

KLMatSJC

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:37 am

FATFlyer wrote:

There is a ton of money in the San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles area, which is not necessarily there in Santa Maria. If Delta returns to the area, it will 100% be into SBP. It is the same with all the legacy airlines (AA, UA, DL, AS, etc).

The suggestion of SY, NK, or F9 does make sense, but I personally don't think there is much of a market for any of them with the exception of an F9 to DEN flight, and that might even be a stretch (UA does 3x daily CRJs to DEN from SBP). Contour doesn't seem like a terrible idea, but with them being in both SBA and SBP, that isn't likely either (especially when I talked to Contour's CEO at their SBP launch about future endeavors).

My money is on G4 adding AZA and one of BLI, PSP, SAN, or TUS. Another weird thing to think about is having G4 flip the script on SMX. Central Coast tourism is at an all-time high, from Paso Robles to Ventura. SMX is very centrally located. I could maybe see them turning SMX into a destination, rather than a hub. This is a little less likely, but something to think about, especially when considering it's multiple destinations.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

FlyingElvii

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:23 pm

More Skywest CRJ Service, I suspect. SFO and LAX on United colors

Midwestindy

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:38 pm

Probably one of the US3, they usually announce on Fridays. I'll take AA on this one
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

AirFiero

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:50 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
It would not surprise me the least if it turned out to be AS with routes to SEA and maybe SAN. It'll be interesting to see what that announcement will be...if it really happens.

This was my first thought, but with AS at SBP only 30 miles away would they be competing with their own service?

sbaflyer

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:24 pm

https://keyt.com/lifestyle/travel/2020/ ... next-week/

The package would be used only for east-bound hub service to either Phoenix, Denver or Salt Lake City.

So perhaps one of those 3? I'd bet AA to PHX

workhorse

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:04 pm

What is the status of the Zodiac Seats plant that is bordering SMX and that used to build Cirrus seats shells? Last time I've been there it was running but struggling. During its best days, it provided some good business traffic to the airport (together with the Coca-Cola plant nearby).

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:19 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
There is a ton of money in the San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles area, which is not necessarily there in Santa Maria. If Delta returns to the area, it will 100% be into SBP. It is the same with all the legacy airlines (AA, UA, DL, AS, etc).

I am very familiar with the Central Coast as a former resident of SLO County. I still have business and personal connections in the in the area.

I expect DL has looked at SBP and the opening of OO's maintenance base at SBP would add some credence to the SBP-SLC possibility.

But there are not many options that are not already at both SBP and SBA.

KLMatSJC wrote:
The suggestion of SY, NK, or F9 does make sense, but I personally don't think there is much of a market for any of them with the exception of an F9 to DEN flight................

..........My money is on G4 adding AZA and one of BLI, PSP, SAN, or TUS.

Except the SMX press release mentions connections ("connect to great domestic and international destinations"). That seems like it would eliminate Allegiant.

SY is already operating seasonally at SBA unless they want to move the service. I don't see NK doing the Central Coast yet.

F9 is a possible but as you also said, SBP and SBA both have DEN flights already on UA.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:26 pm

sbaflyer wrote:
https://keyt.com/lifestyle/travel/2020/01/03/santa-maria-airport-to-announce-expanded-air-service-next-week/

The package would be used only for east-bound hub service to either Phoenix, Denver or Salt Lake City.

I mentioned that incentive and those cities in my original post.

I have tried to look at those 3 cities from the idea of business travel in the Santa Maria area. Farming and Vandenberg AFB would be 2 of the larger business draws.

SMX has a fee waiver/marketing fund incentive program. In contrast, I believe SBP chose to go with a revenue guarantee for new service.

ericm2031

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:45 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
KLMatSJC wrote:

I am very familiar with the Central Coast as a former resident of SLO County. I still have business and personal connections in the in the area.

I expect DL has looked at SBP and the opening of OO's maintenance base at SBP would add some credence to the SBP-SLC possibility.

But there are not many options that are not already at both SBP and SBA.

KLMatSJC wrote:
The suggestion of SY, NK, or F9 does make sense, but I personally don't think there is much of a market for any of them with the exception of an F9 to DEN flight................

..........My money is on G4 adding AZA and one of BLI, PSP, SAN, or TUS.

Except the SMX press release mentions connections ("connect to great domestic and international destinations"). That seems like it would eliminate Allegiant.

SY is already operating seasonally at SBA unless they want to move the service. I don't see NK doing the Central Coast yet.

F9 is a possible but as you also said, SBP and SBA both have DEN flights already on UA.

SY isn't returning to SBA and has removed it from the route map, so could be a possibility.

SMX would maybe do better if it were to rebrand itself so more people would know where it is.

AirFiero

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:20 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
sbaflyer wrote:
https://keyt.com/lifestyle/travel/2020/01/03/santa-maria-airport-to-announce-expanded-air-service-next-week/

I mentioned that incentive and those cities in my original post.

I have tried to look at those 3 cities from the idea of business travel in the Santa Maria area. Farming and Vandenberg AFB would be 2 of the larger business draws.

SMX has a fee waiver/marketing fund incentive program. In contrast, I believe SBP chose to go with a revenue guarantee for new service.

If we’re talking subsidized or incentivized flights to hubs, that should narrow it down to three airlines or their regional subsidiaries...

DL to SLC
UA to DEN
AA to PHX

Unless it’s WN, but I wouldn’t make that bet! ;)

AirFiero

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:30 pm

Oh, what the hell, let’s have some fun with this. Let’s say WN wanted to pull off a coup, and serve the south central coast. SBP and SBA already have established air service, and are higher yield. SMX Area is supposedly lower yield. At approximately 60 miles of SMX are Santa Barbara Area, Solvang, Lompoc/Vandenburg, Cambria/Hearst Castle, and Paso Robles. San Luis Obispo is only 30 miles. WN could fly a half dozen flights a day, divided between two of their hubs and you could connect to most of their network. Say, SAN and LAS or DEN.

It’s a long shot, to be sure, but interesting to speculate.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:31 pm

AirFiero wrote:
If we’re talking subsidized or incentivized flights to hubs, that should narrow it down to three airlines or their regional subsidiaries...

DL to SLC
UA to DEN
AA to PHX

Which then takes it back to the question of would an airline duplicate a route offered only 35 miles north and/or 60 miles south.

SMX is not that large of an area to be separated from SBA and SBP.

It makes for an interesting guessing game.

AirFiero

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:34 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

DL to SLC
UA to DEN
AA to PHX

Which then takes it back to the question of would an airline duplicate a route offered only 35 miles north and/or 60 miles south.

SMX is not that large of an area to be separated from SBA and SBP.

It makes for an interesting guessing game.

Do those airlines all fly those routes already from SBP?

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:56 pm

AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

This was my first thought, but with AS at SBP only 30 miles away would they be competing with their own service?

Maybe. But I wouldn't put it passed them, considering that they are expanding service to SBP, adding frequency on the SEA-SBA route (seasonal increase?). AS seems very interested in that part of CA lately. It would be funny if they decided to open OXR. LOL!

lavalampluva

Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:56 pm

If SY wasn’t already flying to SBA it might be a good candidate.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:18 pm

My bet is on F9. I think SBA is far enough away that they are the one airline willing to try it seasonally to pull traffic from SMX and points north.

AirFiero

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:22 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Maybe. But I wouldn't put it passed them, considering that they are expanding service to SBP, adding frequency on the SEA-SBA route (seasonal increase?). AS seems very interested in that part of CA lately. It would be funny if they decided to open OXR. LOL!

I would think they might expand service at SBP and SBA first. There are a few other candidate cities in CA for AS service, such as BFL and SCK.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:30 pm

AirFiero wrote:
[Do those airlines all fly those routes already from SBP?

Those routes look like this currently near SMX -

UA to DEN - from SBP 3X daily (1 CR7/2 CR2); from SBA 3X daily (2 A319/1 CR2)
AA to PHX - from SBP 4X daily (all CR7); from SBA 4X daily (1 A319/2 CR7/1 CR9)

DL to SLC - from SBP 0 flights; from SBA 3X daily (all E175)

The above is why I think among their incentive target cities only SLC makes sense for the US3.

Could someone like F9 start DEN? Possible but then can they pull enough market from SBA and SBP.

intotheair

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:59 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Oh, what the hell, let’s have some fun with this. Let’s say WN wanted to pull off a coup, and serve the south central coast. SBP and SBA already have established air service, and are higher yield. SMX Area is supposedly lower yield. At approximately 60 miles of SMX are Santa Barbara Area, Solvang, Lompoc/Vandenburg, Cambria/Hearst Castle, and Paso Robles. San Luis Obispo is only 30 miles. WN could fly a half dozen flights a day, divided between two of their hubs and you could connect to most of their network. Say, SAN and LAS or DEN.

Hilarious!

WN isn't that stupid.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

AirFiero

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 pm

intotheair wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Hilarious!

WN isn't that stupid.

Once again, a less than cordial response on a.net, even to a fun speculation.

wnflyguy

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:29 pm

It's definitely not WN.
The Airport lacks ample passenger parking availability for a sizeable WN operation.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

AirFiero

Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
It's definitely not WN.
The Airport lacks ample passenger parking availability for a sizeable WN operation.

Flyguy

Agreed. It’s just fun to think about the possibilities. Especially at this slow airline time of the year.

KLMatSJC

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:38 pm

With SBA now off the route map for SY, I'm willing to bet it's them. MSP and PDX or LAS.

I personally know that SBP is looking hard at DL to SLC, and I think it will be the next flight we see from there.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

OzarkD9S

Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:53 pm

10 flights a day to DTW?

Seriously, I'm interested in the announcement.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

flyfresno

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:19 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
With SBA now off the route map for SY, I'm willing to bet it's them. MSP and PDX or LAS.

I personally know that SBP is looking hard at DL to SLC, and I think it will be the next flight we see from there.

SY to SMX before FAT? Kinda doubt it.

My money is AA to PHX.
Or, maybe UA to SFO.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:22 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Agreed. It’s just fun to think about the possibilities. Especially at this slow airline time of the year.

Here is another wild idea to have fun with.

SMX has been working to reopen its Customs office formerly staffed with one officer which closed in 2009.

Windset Farms in the Santa Maria area is owned by a British Columbia company HQ'd less than 10 miles from YVR.

Windset has offered to help pay some of the costs of Customs at SMX since it has employees flying in every week to Santa Maria.

Maybe SMX has been secretly working to open a FIS for commercial flights instead of just a Customs office for GA.

Maybe YVR-SMX flights are on the horizon??? :rotfl:

wnflyguy

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:31 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Here is another wild idea to have fun with.

SMX has been working to reopen its Customs office formerly staffed with one officer which closed in 2009.

Windset Farms in the Santa Maria area is owned by a British Columbia company HQ'd less than 10 miles from YVR.

Windset has offered to help pay some of the costs of Customs at SMX since it has employees flying in every week to Santa Maria.

Maybe SMX has been secretly working to open a FIS for commercial flights instead of just a Customs office for GA.

Maybe YVR-SMX flights are on the horizon??? :rotfl:

Alaskaair to SEA daily E175

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

ericm2031

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 pm

FATFlyer wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
[Do those airlines all fly those routes already from SBP?

Those routes look like this currently near SMX -

UA to DEN - from SBP 3X daily (1 CR7/2 CR2); from SBA 3X daily (2 A319/1 CR2)
AA to PHX - from SBP 4X daily (all CR7); from SBA 4X daily (1 A319/2 CR7/1 CR9)

DL to SLC - from SBP 0 flights; from SBA 3X daily (all E175)

The above is why I think among their incentive target cities only SLC makes sense for the US3.

Could someone like F9 start DEN? Possible but then can they pull enough market from SBA and SBP.

Considering it took them this long to add SBA, I don’t think they would go into a secondary city such as SMX.

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 pm

I guess UA to LAX. Did SMX has flight to LAX already?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 pm

SQ789 wrote:
I guess UA to LAX. Did SMX has flight to LAX already?

The only current service at SMX is Allegiant to LAS.

The last time any airline operated SMX-LAX was Mokulele's short-lived California operation which ended in 2017.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:06 am

I just went back and reread the press conference announcement I originally posted.

It does say:
The Santa Maria Public Airport District is excited to announce new routes for flights beginning later this year which will connect to great domestic and international destinations. These routes are a result of continued efforts from airport officials, SMART (Santa Maria Airline Recruitment Team), community, military, and business leaders, and airport partner agencies including the City of Santa Maria, Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce, and the Economic Development Commission.

The use of the plural word "routes" more than once indicates several destinations.

We may all be looking at this the wrong way.

MIflyer12

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:06 am

AirFiero wrote:
intotheair wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Hilarious!

WN isn't that stupid.

Once again, a less than cordial response on a.net, even to a fun speculation.

That model of WN route planning has been dead and buried for 20 years, under 260 flights/day ops at MDW and 249/day at DEN. They're going where the passengers are, not to tertiary airports and expecting everyone to drive an hour to get there.