Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

msp747
Topic Author

Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:07 pm

I'm not sure if there is much interest in doing a thread for Idaho or not, considering I have never seen one and couldn't find one when I searched, but I thought I'd give it a shot. My primary interest is what is going on at BOI, but I figured I'd open it up to the entire state, since I doubt it will be a hugely popular thread.

2019 was a huge year for BOI. It is all but guaranteed to break the 4 million passengers mark for the first time ever (Statistics do not include December yet, but the airport surpassed the 3.7 million mark through November)
https://www.iflyboise.com/media/1583/november2019.pdf

The airport is also expected to begin the first phase of its expansion this year, including construction on a new consolidated rental car facility. The new garage will replace the current surface lot, freeing up space for the addition of a Concourse A.
https://idahobusinessreview.com/2019/10 ... xperience/

BOI will also see the addition of its first east coast city since the Great Recession when DL service to ATL returns this summer. AS is also been beefing up its Southern California service in the coming months.
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/loc ... 25098.html
https://www.ktvb.com/article/money/alas ... 0d3f84f55e

So, any other predictions/hopes for BOI in the coming year? Thoughts on the recent growth and if it will last? Any new service you see coming to other airports around the state?

bnabnabna

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:21 pm

Happy to see the growth at BOI! I have family in the area and fly in every few years or so. Glad to see the ATL non-stop, as it provides another connection option from BNA with a reduced total travel time. I’d love a non-stop out of BNA to BOI, but know that’s an absolute long shot unless WN adds it once a week for some reason.

SFAviationGeek

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 pm

I'd love to see Southwest step in and take over BOI-RNO which, unfortunately, ends today (run by Alaska). It would also be awesome to see a northeast hub connection to EWR or IAD but I think that's a long ways off. Maybe some one like Allegiant could add some sunny destinations like PSP or maybe even ABQ?

I think BOI's growth is just getting started considering how hot the economy is in Idaho right now.

Since this is an Idaho aviation thread, I think its also worth noting the incredible growth of dstinations at SUN in the past few years. (SEA, LAX, ORD, SFO, DEN, SLC).

msp747
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:05 pm

bnabnabna wrote:
Happy to see the growth at BOI! I have family in the area and fly in every few years or so. Glad to see the ATL non-stop, as it provides another connection option from BNA with a reduced total travel time. I’d love a non-stop out of BNA to BOI, but know that’s an absolute long shot unless WN adds it once a week for some reason.

Well, WN does offer summer seasonal service from BOI to MDW, so maybe someday they'd try BNA as a seasonal. Unfortunately with the MAX situation, I don't see that happening for at least a few years, if ever. For purely selfish reasons, I was hoping UA would add IAD service as part of their growth at that hub. I suppose there is still an outside chance of that if IAD adds another 2 banks, but I think the new DL flight to Atlanta takes a lot of the traffic that might use that route for connections.

I think any growth BOI sees this year will be up-gauging current flights and or adding flights to current destinations. My guess is any new routes would be west coast focused. I could see AS or WN adding another California destination. Maybe SNA? AS has really beefed up their flight options to California in the last few years, I'm sure largely thanks to the growing number of Californians who are moving to Idaho.

msp747
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:14 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:
I'd love to see Southwest step in and take over BOI-RNO which, unfortunately, ends today (run by Alaska). It would also be awesome to see a northeast hub connection to EWR or IAD but I think that's a long ways off. Maybe some one like Allegiant could add some sunny destinations like PSP or maybe even ABQ?

I think BOI's growth is just getting started considering how hot the economy is in Idaho right now.

Since this is an Idaho aviation thread, I think its also worth noting the incredible growth of dstinations at SUN in the past few years. (SEA, LAX, ORD, SFO, DEN, SLC).

I think WN used to offer service to RNO, but cut it when they scaled back their short hop flights in the Pacific Northwest. They dropped BOI flights to SEA, PDX, and SLC at the same time. I am really surprised AS couldn't make RNO work, especially with a Q400. Seemed like the perfect plane for that route.

I didn't realize that SUN had seen such an expansion, especially considering the limits of that airport. That's great to see an ORD flight. I guess Sun Valley has more of a national pull than I give it credit for.

SFAviationGeek

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:35 pm

msp747 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

I think WN used to offer service to RNO, but cut it when they scaled back their short hop flights in the Pacific Northwest. They dropped BOI flights to SEA, PDX, and SLC at the same time. I am really surprised AS couldn't make RNO work, especially with a Q400. Seemed like the perfect plane for that route.

I didn't realize that SUN had seen such an expansion, especially considering the limits of that airport. That's great to see an ORD flight. I guess Sun Valley has more of a national pull than I give it credit for.

I grew up near SUN and never thought I'd see the day when there were so many nonstop flights. Alaska even ran nonstops to PDX last year but pulled them I'm assuming due to poor load factors.

For some reason, the area is hugely popular with Texans so I could see a seasonal to Dallas or Houston one day not too far from now.

There was a rumor recently that Southwest was going to add SNA to BOI but I think SNA is slot restricted so maybe that was a pipe dream?

sprxUSA

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:37 pm

WN will not be offering BOI-MDW this year, which had been relegated to Sat only for a few weeks after the Sat only DAL n/s ended in August '19.
AS BOI-RNO had only O&D service to offer, with perhaps an odd connection up to GEG. When they had an early AM flight from RNO, that seemed to me to be ass-backwards of what BOI folks would want. The return arr RNO around 10pm. Nobody wants to get there then. Then the flight changed to noonish BOI-RNO-BOI, which seemed a waste by then.. DH4 too much capacity to depend on o and d between the two cities. At least when WN did it, they had through pax to fill it up. Even Western on their 727-200 BOI-RNO am originating flight went onto LAX back in, what 84 or 85. QX was 14th airline to offer BOI-RNO nonstop service from Mountain West EMB 110s to United DC-8s. With a six hour drive time, I still think there is a market to be served, if done right.

Nice to see SUN get more destinations (and TWF more action for diversions) but seems SEA is at lowest level since QX second year there.

Think there will be a day when intrastate service will occur again?
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

jplatts

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:38 pm

WN adding BOI-BWI nonstop service might be a possibility with the Baltimore/DC market being one of the top markets not currently served nonstop out of BOI and the PDEW of BOI-BWI/DCA/IAD being 103 passengers per day in Q2 2019.

WN is also currently the only airline serving the Baltimore/DC market nonstop from ABQ and MKE, and WN will also be the only airline serving the Baltimore/DC market nonstop from TUL when it starts TUL-BWI seasonal nonstop service in June.

There is also some government travel between Boise and Washington, DC with Boise being located in the capital city of Idaho to support nonstop service to BWI out of BOI on WN.

In addition to government travel and BOI being one of the top domestic destinations not currently served nonstop from the Baltimore/DC market, WN would also be able to offer connections to some destinations in the Northeast from BOI through BWI if it adds BOI-BWI nonstop service.

SFAviationGeek

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:47 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
WN will not be offering BOI-MDW this year, which had been relegated to Sat only for a few weeks after the Sat only DAL n/s ended in August '19.
AS BOI-RNO had only O&D service to offer, with perhaps an odd connection up to GEG. When they had an early AM flight from RNO, that seemed to me to be ass-backwards of what BOI folks would want. The return arr RNO around 10pm. Nobody wants to get there then. Then the flight changed to noonish BOI-RNO-BOI, which seemed a waste by then.. DH4 too much capacity to depend on o and d between the two cities. At least when WN did it, they had through pax to fill it up. Even Western on their 727-200 BOI-RNO am originating flight went onto LAX back in, what 84 or 85. QX was 14th airline to offer BOI-RNO nonstop service from Mountain West EMB 110s to United DC-8s. With a six hour drive time, I still think there is a market to be served, if done right.

Nice to see SUN get more destinations (and TWF more action for diversions) but seems SEA is at lowest level since QX second year there.

I think there's a possibility of a BOI-IDA returning one day. A lot of Boise residents head up to Teton or Yellowstone Natinal Park and a lot of Idaho Falls residents go to Boise for state government purposes. Alaska recently ended BOI-LWS probably due to its proximity to GEG and Lewiston's small population. I doubt that'll ever come back.

msp747
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:11 pm

sprxUSA wrote:

Thanks for the insight on the RNO route. I had no idea that Western used to fly that route back in the early 80s. I just remember their flights to SLC. I guess if BOI-RNO ever returns, it probably would be WN. Although with so many nonstop flights to California that didn't exist when WN originally did this route, it seems like a long-shot that there would be enough pass-through passengers to fill it.

As for interstate service, I don't see it. Seems like the drive between Boise and Pocatello/Idaho Falls is easier than paying $100+ for a RT between the two markets. TWF and SUN are too close. As for up north, Coeur d'Alene is served via GEG. LWS and PUW don't seem to have enough traffic to fill the Q400 on a consistent basis.

jplatts wrote:
WN adding BOI-BWI nonstop service might be a possibility with the Baltimore/DC market being one of the top markets not currently served nonstop out of BOI and the PDEW of BOI-BWI/DCA/IAD being 103 passengers per day in Q2 2019.

WN is also currently the only airline serving the Baltimore/DC market nonstop from ABQ and MKE, and WN will also be the only airline serving the Baltimore/DC market nonstop from TUL when it starts TUL-BWI seasonal nonstop service in June.

There is also some government travel between Boise and Washington, DC with Boise being located in the capital city of Idaho to support nonstop service to BWI out of BOI on WN.

In addition to government travel and BOI being one of the top domestic destinations not currently served nonstop from the Baltimore/DC market, WN would also be able to offer connections to some destinations in the Northeast from BOI through BWI if it adds BOI-BWI nonstop service.

Yeah, I should have included WN and BWI when I talked about the DC market. My proximity to IAD made me overlook it. I think WN is just as likely to serve the market as UA. I'd be curious to see if the members of congress who I often see in first class on UA would switch to a direct on WN, where they would have to sit in coach with the rest of us :lol: .

SFAviationGeek

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:59 pm

msp747 wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

As for interstate service, I don't see it. Seems like the drive between Boise and Pocatello/Idaho Falls is easier than paying $100+ for a RT between the two markets. TWF and SUN are too close. As for up north, Coeur d'Alene is served via GEG. LWS and PUW don't seem to have enough traffic to fill the Q400 on a consistent basis.

IDA is an hour further drive to BOI than SLC where I believe they have daily nonstops. Maybe that works due to connections?

oosnowrat

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:16 pm

msp747 wrote:
Any new service you see coming to other airports around the state?

TWF, PIH and IDA all applied for SCASD grants last fall. IDA wants a route to DFW; TWF and PIH are both looking for DEN service. I can't imagine all three would get grants, but one might. Having a UAX station in TWF would be most helpful during the SUN diversion season.

MIflyer12

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:14 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:
It would also be awesome to see a northeast hub connection to EWR or IAD but I think that's a long ways off.

BOI-ORD gets E75s - by both UA and AA - even in summer. BOI-EWR/IAD is far enough to demand mainline. BOI-DTW on an E75 (and good connections to the Northeast) might be a hope sooner fulfilled.

SFAviationGeek

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:
It would also be awesome to see a northeast hub connection to EWR or IAD but I think that's a long ways off.

BOI-ORD gets E75s - by both UA and AA - even in summer. BOI-EWR/IAD is far enough to demand mainline. BOI-DTW on an E75 (and good connections to the Northeast) might be a hope sooner fulfilled.

I can't imagine BOI landing another east coast Delta Hub like DTW after it took so long to get a nonstop to ATL. Even on an E75.

jplatts

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

I agree that DL adding BOI-DTW on an E-175 regional jet is a possibility with OO currently operating SEA-MKE nonstop service on behalf of DL using an E-175 regional jet and with the SEA-MKE nonstop route being 34 miles longer than BOI-DTW. OO also already operates some DL Connection flights out of DL's DTW hub.

flymco753

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:39 pm

jplatts wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

I agree that DL adding BOI-DTW on an E-175 regional jet is a possibility with OO currently operating SEA-MKE nonstop service on behalf of DL using an E-175 regional jet and with the SEA-MKE nonstop route being 34 miles longer than BOI-DTW. OO also already operates some DL Connection flights out of DL's DTW hub.
BOI, BZN, & JAC all seem like places that kind of tie in that category. All 3 are accessible with an E175, it's probably a matter of how much more someone is willing to pay from what market and where in particular they want to go. If JAC-East Coast is willing to pay twice more of what BOI-East Coast is willing to pay, they'll go with JAC.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

sprxUSA

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:13 pm

oosnowrat wrote:
msp747 wrote:

TWF, PIH and IDA all applied for SCASD grants last fall. IDA wants a route to DFW; TWF and PIH are both looking for DEN service. I can't imagine all three would get grants, but one might. Having a UAX station in TWF would be most helpful during the SUN diversion season.

Well I would bet it would be the same SkyWest folks working both sides of the fence as I assume now when OO/UA divert to TWF. I'd like to see a SFO-TWF-PIH-DEN routing, but that probably wouldn't work in today's atmosphere.

OzarkD9S

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 pm

OK. So this isn't aviation related per se. But I've google mapped BOI and Boise, and there seems to be quite a few interesting places to visit. Never been to Idaho and would like to knock that off my "All 50 States" list. Only 7 to go. So to any BOI locals, is it worth my time, like 3-4 days? I would make an out and back day trip of it, just to say I've "been" there but I love smaller walking towns with some character. Plus the downtown hotels are reasonably priced and close to all the things that seem worth a visit. Should I? Thinking of September. Thanks for your input.

Now to av-geek it to remain on topic. I live in STL and DL and WN are my carriers of choice. WN through DEN or DL through MSP or SCL. Is SLC a mess with all the construction going on? I've only been through there once on UA, and I've been through MSP many times so what's the skinny?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

oosnowrat

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:42 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
oosnowrat wrote:
msp747 wrote:

Well I would bet it would be the same SkyWest folks working both sides of the fence as I assume now when OO/UA divert to TWF. I'd like to see a SFO-TWF-PIH-DEN routing, but that probably wouldn't work in today's atmosphere.

It would be the same folks, but with the access to the UA computer system that they lack currently.

oosnowrat

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
OK. So this isn't aviation related per se. But I've google mapped BOI and Boise, and there seems to be quite a few interesting places to visit. Never been to Idaho and would like to knock that off my "All 50 States" list. Only 7 to go. So to any BOI locals, is it worth my time, like 3-4 days? I would make an out and back day trip of it, just to say I've "been" there but I love smaller walking towns with some character. Plus the downtown hotels are reasonably priced and close to all the things that seem worth a visit. Should I? Thinking of September. Thanks for your input.

Now to av-geek it to remain on topic. I live in STL and DL and WN are my carriers of choice. WN through DEN or DL through MSP or SCL. Is SLC a mess with all the construction going on? I've only been through there once on UA, and I've been through MSP many times so what's the skinny?

Boise is nice. It has quite a few breweries now, too, that might appeal to a STL native. SLC isn't a mess at all, they've done a great job with the construction. The new terminal opens in September, you should time your trip to that event.

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 am

oosnowrat wrote:

Boise is nice. It has quite a few breweries now, too, that might appeal to a STL native. SLC isn't a mess at all, they've done a great job with the construction. The new terminal opens in September, you should time your trip to that event.

Well beer ain't my thing, more of a wino :bigthumbsup: here but thanks for the info. I'm definitely looking into it. Glad to hear SLC isn't a hot mess. I have more DL points than WN, but maybe need to build the WN up a bit. Maybe a split ticket depending on schedules. Thanks!
"True, I talk of dreams,

ibthebigd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:08 am

If you haven't been to Oregon it's like an hour away. I know if I go to Boise I plan to go to Oregon to knock it off my state's list

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SFAviationGeek

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 am

OzarkD9S wrote:

I grew up 3 hours northeast of Boise and lived in Boise for a coupe years. Its a great, medium-sized city with a thriving (albeit small) downtown core. The best part of Boise is the nature in and around town. The greenbelt and floating the Boise river is a true gem. The mountains heading north and east offer endless adventure and are unspoiled by crowds or development. Stanley, about two and half hours northeast of Boise, is the country's best hidden gem. More gorgeous than the Tetons and you'll hardly see another soul.

msp747
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:23 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

I grew up 3 hours northeast of Boise and lived in Boise for a coupe years. Its a great, medium-sized city with a thriving (albeit small) downtown core. The best part of Boise is the nature in and around town. The greenbelt and floating the Boise river is a true gem. The mountains heading north and east offer endless adventure and are unspoiled by crowds or development. Stanley, about two and half hours northeast of Boise, is the country's best hidden gem. More gorgeous than the Tetons and you'll hardly see another soul.

I second this! Downtown Boise really surprised me the last few times I was home. It is dominated by local restaurants/brewpubs. You'll have no problem finding a great wine at most of them. When the weather is nice (September is generally a great month), people flock to downtown, so it may surprise you how busy it is, considering the size of the downtown core. I wasn't sure how readily available it would be in a city this size, but Uber/Lyft rides are easy to come by if you enjoy a few glasses of wine/cocktails/beer.

As for other ideas, Bogus Basin is a local ski resort that has summer activities through September. They have a lift that can take you up the mountain and lots of trails to hike down. They also have a "Mountain Coaster" which is a lot of fun. You determine how fast you go. Plus they have concerts and other events at the base. If you've always wanted to see the blue turf at Boise State, you can catch a game during September. As SFAviationGeek said, the Boise River and the Greenbelt are a great way to spend an afternoon. I think tube rentals end Labor Day for floating, but I'd have to look into that. Sun Valley/Ketchum, Stanley, and McCall are great places to visit if you want to venture into the mountains. All can be day trips, although you'll have to get an early jump and understand it will be a long day with lots of driving.

msp747
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:33 pm

jplatts wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

I like the idea, but does DTW offer much to travelers that MSP doesn't? I guess I hadn't really looked at what destinations in the northeast are only accessible through DTW vs. MSP. I just wonder if they'd fear cannibalizing one of their routes to feed another.

It is crazy how many flights OO operates for DL, UA, and AS out of BOI. If you come in late, you'll see upwards of 10 E175s over at the OO maintenance hangar. BOI used to have a major QX operation, but it seems to be down to just the Q400. All of the AS regional jet flights appear to be on OO.

jplatts

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:52 pm

msp747 wrote:
I like the idea, but does DTW offer much to travelers that MSP doesn't? I guess I hadn't really looked at what destinations in the northeast are only accessible through DTW vs. MSP. I just wonder if they'd fear cannibalizing one of their routes to feed another.

There are actually some destinations in Michigan, Indiana, the Northeastern U.S., the Southern U.S., Canada, and Europe that DL serves nonstop from DTW but not from MSP, including ABE, APN, BGM, BHM, BTV, CHA, ELM, ERI, ESC, EVV, FRA, GSO, GSP, MDT, HSV, ITH, LIT, MHT, MUC, MYR, SWF, YOW, PLN, PWM, PVD, SCE, FCO, HPN, AVP, and ORH.

The Q2 2019 on BOI-DTW was only 28 passengers per day, but DL might possibly be able to fill an E-175 on BOI-DTW due to (a) connections not available at SLC or MSP and (b) stimulation of additional O&D traffic on the BOI-DTW route if DL adds BOI-DTW nonstop service.

msp747
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:06 pm

jplatts wrote:
msp747 wrote:

There are actually some destinations in Michigan, Indiana, the Northeastern U.S., the Southern U.S., Canada, and Europe that DL serves nonstop from DTW but not from MSP, including ABE, APN, BGM, BHM, BTV, CHA, ELM, ERI, ESC, EVV, FRA, GSO, GSP, MDT, HSV, ITH, LIT, MHT, MUC, MYR, SWF, YOW, PLN, PWM, PVD, SCE, FCO, HPN, AVP, and ORH.

The Q2 2019 on BOI-DTW was only 28 passengers per day, but DL might possibly be able to fill an E-175 on BOI-DTW due to (a) connections not available at SLC or MSP and (b) stimulation of additional O&D traffic on the BOI-DTW route if DL adds BOI-DTW nonstop service.

Thanks for the info. Obviously I'd love to see as many destinations out of BOI as possible, so I'd like to see it. DL seems to be the strongest of the Big 3 in BOI, so it wouldn't shock me to see them add service to another hub.

oosnowrat wrote:
msp747 wrote:

I've always thought it is funny that PIH and IDA have separate airports, considering they are less than an hour from each other. Seems like it would have made more sense to have 1 airport halfway between each of them, like maybe in Blackfoot. I don't know if it would mean more service for the area, but it does seem like a waste to have both cities competing against each other for service instead of working together.

SFAviationGeek

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:05 pm

I saw on another thread that BOI has the second most PDEW from NYC of any city in the US that doesn't have a non-stop yet behind Tucson at 77. I'm a novice in this area but is that enough to warrant a nonstop soon-ish?

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:42 pm

msp747 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

I second this! Downtown Boise really surprised me the last few times I was home. It is dominated by local restaurants/brewpubs. You'll have no problem finding a great wine at most of them. When the weather is nice (September is generally a great month), people flock to downtown, so it may surprise you how busy it is, considering the size of the downtown core. I wasn't sure how readily available it would be in a city this size, but Uber/Lyft rides are easy to come by if you enjoy a few glasses of wine/cocktails/beer.

As for other ideas, Bogus Basin is a local ski resort that has summer activities through September. They have a lift that can take you up the mountain and lots of trails to hike down. They also have a "Mountain Coaster" which is a lot of fun. You determine how fast you go. Plus they have concerts and other events at the base. If you've always wanted to see the blue turf at Boise State, you can catch a game during September. As SFAviationGeek said, the Boise River and the Greenbelt are a great way to spend an afternoon. I think tube rentals end Labor Day for floating, but I'd have to look into that. Sun Valley/Ketchum, Stanley, and McCall are great places to visit if you want to venture into the mountains. All can be day trips, although you'll have to get an early jump and understand it will be a long day with lots of driving.

msp747 and SFAviation Geek: Thanks for your input! I've pretty much made up my mind to visit BOI in September. From the various responses and suggestions I've received it sounds like the kind of place I would enjoy. I was pleasantly surprised by places like PWM, BTV, CHS and BIL, so BOI seems like a nice little getaway. On many fronts this site has slid into mediocrity, but it's honest contributions like yours that keep me coming back. And the av-geek stuff of course.
"True, I talk of dreams,

DakotaFlyer

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:45 pm

G4 from Boise to Nashville? Think there is enough demand for 2x week service?

OzarkD9S

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:45 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:

I saw on another thread that BOI has the second most PDEW from NYC of any city in the US that doesn't have a non-stop yet behind Tucson at 77. I'm a novice in this area but is that enough to warrant a nonstop soon-ish?

If UA had A220s coming I could see a BOI-EWR flight. LGA is off limits (except Saturday) and JFK is probably too "international" for BOI to work. But who knows?
"True, I talk of dreams,

msp747
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:56 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

If UA had A220s coming I could see a BOI-EWR flight. LGA is off limits (except Saturday) and JFK is probably too "international" for BOI to work. But who knows?

I seem to recall (but of course can't find an article on it) that when BOI applied for a grant to try and get east coast service, it was aimed at DL adding service to either ATL or JFK. With DL deciding to give ATL another go, I'm guessing they decided it was the more profitable option. But if I were to guess, I'd say a future DL flight to JFK was more likely than a UA one to EWR. I'm thinking either is a few years off at best.

Also, glad you liked the recommendations. If I think of anything else, I'll add them to the thread or message you.

oosnowrat

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:14 am

msp747 wrote:

I've always thought it is funny that PIH and IDA have separate airports, considering they are less than an hour from each other. Seems like it would have made more sense to have 1 airport halfway between each of them, like maybe in Blackfoot. I don't know if it would mean more service for the area, but it does seem like a waste to have both cities competing against each other for service instead of working together.

I don't know that they compete much with each other; PIH probably bleeds more traffic to SLC than IDA.

There was talk years ago -- back when it looked like Friedman airport in Hailey would have to be relocated -- of building a central airport for both SUN and TWF. That idea didn't gain much traction.

sprxUSA

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 am

RE one airport for IDA/PIH: Would make zero sense, due to the local airports wouldn't close (due to local fliers and businesses IMO) cost of building it would be uneconomical for about 100 years, and the number of passengers served would not be that great since both IDA and PIH combined are not earth shattering to start with and chances are total numbers would not increase anymore than they would separately. PIH folks would probably just drive to SLC moreso than now since they could be halfway there by the time they would settle in at a midway airport. Back when they built them, I can only imagine the fun IDA-PIH-BYI-TWF-BOI etc flights on the pre West Coast Airlines flights.
I would add a trip through the Old Idaho Penitentiary in Boise as a good side trip. Was used until 1974 and I assume it is still good as I have not gone there since 1987.

SFAviationGeek

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 am

oosnowrat wrote:
msp747 wrote:

I don't know that they compete much with each other; PIH probably bleeds more traffic to SLC than IDA.

There was talk years ago -- back when it looked like Friedman airport in Hailey would have to be relocated -- of building a central airport for both SUN and TWF. That idea didn't gain much traction.

Its such a shame they didn't relocate the airport. I go to Sun Valley once or twice a year and never even bother booking a flight into Friedman since I know I have a 50/50 chance of being redirected to Twin. We just fly to BOI and drive.

sprxUSA

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:52 am

IAC (if anyone cares) :BOI this July 16th has the following:
91 flights. 79 jet 12 DH4
UA 19------2 mainline
DL 19-----10 mainline
AS 28------4 mainline
AA 6 -----2 mainline
WN 16
F9 1 (3/wk)
G4 2 (6/wk)
Just showing the time I waste looking stuff up LOL.

alasizon

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:52 am

SFAviationGeek wrote:
Alaska recently ended BOI-LWS probably due to its proximity to GEG and Lewiston's small population. I doubt that'll ever come back.

AS ended BOI-LWS because it chose to end SEA-LWS due to weak loads and poor yields; nothing to do with proximity to GEG. LWS traffic had been on the decline for a while (ever since the route changed from SEA-PUW-LWS to SEA-LWS and SEA-PUW). The station wasn't viable with a single flight.

Average pax load on BOI-LWS was only about 40-45 pax per flight which isn't viable.

SFAviationGeek wrote:

If it is anything like the attempt that TUS made, likely not without further onward connections through NYC (almost all of which are better served through the existing other hubs served)

sprxUSA wrote:
IAC (if anyone cares) :BOI this July 16th has the following:
91 flights. 79 jet 12 DH4
UA 19------2 mainline
DL 19-----10 mainline
AS 28------4 mainline
AA 6 -----2 mainline
WN 16
F9 1 (3/wk)
G4 2 (6/wk)
Just showing the time I waste looking stuff up LOL.

Summer domestic schedules aren't set yet so I would expect some change in terms of the equipment breakdowns and maybe an added frequency or two. I could see one of the AA DFW flights being on a 319 this year.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

msp747
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:13 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
RE one airport for IDA/PIH: Would make zero sense, due to the local airports wouldn't close (due to local fliers and businesses IMO) cost of building it would be uneconomical for about 100 years, and the number of passengers served would not be that great since both IDA and PIH combined are not earth shattering to start with and chances are total numbers would not increase anymore than they would separately. PIH folks would probably just drive to SLC moreso than now since they could be halfway there by the time they would settle in at a midway airport. Back when they built them, I can only imagine the fun IDA-PIH-BYI-TWF-BOI etc flights on the pre West Coast Airlines flights.
I would add a trip through the Old Idaho Penitentiary in Boise as a good side trip. Was used until 1974 and I assume it is still good as I have not gone there since 1987.

I'm sorry if my post was confusing, but I never meant to suggest they build a shared airport now. I was more implying that it might have made sense back when air travel really began to grow and PIH and IDA developed their current fields for airline service. You're right that it makes no sense now, especially since that part of the state is not seeing anywhere near the growth that Boise/Treasure Valley and Coeur d'Alene/Northern Idaho are (If I am wrong about that, feel free to correct me). The service they have is probably the peak of what they'll get, giving an option to business travelers while the more cost-conscious travelers make the 2+ hour drive to SLC or take advantage of the more limited offerings on G4.

alasizon wrote:
Summer domestic schedules aren't set yet so I would expect some change in terms of the equipment breakdowns and maybe an added frequency or two. I could see one of the AA DFW flights being on a 319 this year.

The past few years, AA has used 738s on both of their DFW flights during the summer, so I would expect that is what we will see again this summer.

SFAviationGeek

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:17 pm

msp747 wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

I'm sorry if my post was confusing, but I never meant to suggest they build a shared airport now. I was more implying that it might have made sense back when air travel really began to grow and PIH and IDA developed their current fields for airline service. You're right that it makes no sense now, especially since that part of the state is not seeing anywhere near the growth that Boise/Treasure Valley and Coeur d'Alene/Northern Idaho are (If I am wrong about that, feel free to correct me). The service they have is probably the peak of what they'll get, giving an option to business travelers while the more cost-conscious travelers make the 2+ hour drive to SLC or take advantage of the more limited offerings on G4.

alasizon wrote:

The past few years, AA has used 738s on both of their DFW flights during the summer, so I would expect that is what we will see again this summer.

IDA has (IMO surprisingly) become a second gateway to Yellowstone for many. It has impacted growth in and around Idaho Falls and I think has largely contributed to the increase in direct flights and some recent hotels being built there. I would agree with you that it would've made sense long ago if PIH and IDA shared an airport but with this trend of IDA being used for national park visits, it probably works better as is now...

msp747
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:
msp747 wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

alasizon wrote:

IDA has (IMO surprisingly) become a second gateway to Yellowstone for many. It has impacted growth in and around Idaho Falls and I think has largely contributed to the increase in direct flights and some recent hotels being built there. I would agree with you that it would've made sense long ago if PIH and IDA shared an airport but with this trend of IDA being used for national park visits, it probably works better as is now...

That is kind of surprising. I figured JAC and BZN handled that traffic, although it appears the drive from BZN and IDA is about the same. I guess it comes down to which airport has the best travel options.

sprxUSA

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:37 am

Well a shared airport back when they were built makes less sense in that at the time, two lane highway thru each town, slower speeds and such, would make trip a lot longer. Also, at the time, seems every podunk place was getting service thanks to government. So there really was no incentive to give up each towns' prestige of scheduled service. All this IMO of course. I would like to see DL do IDA-MSP nonstop as NW did for awhile.

oosnowrat

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:42 am

SFAviationGeek wrote:

It's being priced accordingly, too, which might be driving some of the growth at PIH. Flying out of TWF is usually more expensive than BOI, but flying out of PIH is often cheaper than IDA (G4 being the exception, of course).

SFAviationGeek

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:24 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Well a shared airport back when they were built makes less sense in that at the time, two lane highway thru each town, slower speeds and such, would make trip a lot longer. Also, at the time, seems every podunk place was getting service thanks to government. So there really was no incentive to give up each towns' prestige of scheduled service. All this IMO of course. I would like to see DL do IDA-MSP nonstop as NW did for awhile.

DL does do a IDA-MSP nonstop seasonally. Probably for the aforementioned increasing Yellowstone traffic.

Buddys747

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:38 pm

BOI-DFW goes mainline at least the mid day turn. We booked a ski trip from MDT (Harrisburg, PA) to BOI end of February to March 5th. Out on UA thru ORD (E-175). Back on AA thru DFW. Got an updated itinerary a few weeks ago that the BOI-DFW changed time and equipment from an E-175 to A-319. Must be doing well! Looking forward to skiing at Tamarack, never been to Idaho.
There are still quite a few NE/east coast cities that would benefit from year round ATL and or IAD one stops!

sprxUSA

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:
Well a shared airport back when they were built makes less sense in that at the time, two lane highway thru each town, slower speeds and such, would make trip a lot longer. Also, a- the time, seems every podunk place was getting service thanks to government. So there really was no incentive to give up each towns' prestige of scheduled service. All this IMO of course. I would like to see DL do IDA-MSP nonstop as NW did for awhile.

DL does do a IDA-MSP nonstop seasonally. Probably for the aforementioned increasing Yellowstone traffic.

Well I just checked some dates in latter July and no n/s MSP-IDA.

SFAviationGeek

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:18 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:
Well a shared airport back when they were built makes less sense in that at the time, two lane highway thru each town, slower speeds and such, would make trip a lot longer. Also, a- the time, seems every podunk place was getting service thanks to government. So there really was no incentive to give up each towns' prestige of scheduled service. All this IMO of course. I would like to see DL do IDA-MSP nonstop as NW did for awhile.

Hmm. I just check too and found nothing. Maybe they dropped it and it slipped under my radar..

QXorVX

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:35 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

Hmm. I just check too and found nothing. Maybe they dropped it and it slipped under my radar..

This route was originally operated by NW, daily CRJ2, but dropped around the time of the merger. It came back for a few seasons as summer only, operating a few days a week for a couple years and finally once weekly (Saturday) in 2019. I think it came off the schedule for this summer recently.

DL has been pulling down the number of daily IDA-SLC flights over the last couple years while increasing gauge from CRJ2s to E175s. UA added a 4th IDA-DEN this summer and also scheduled a couple E175s in stead of all 50-seaters. It's probably roughly the same number of seats at the airport as previous years, just a better balance east and south instead of south heavy to SLC as it has always been.

LAXBUR

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:38 am

Lots of up gauging for summer. Some routes to note:

BOI-SLC by DL, all mainline at 5x daily
BOI-MSP by DL, all mainline at 3x daily
BOI-DFW by AA, all mainline 3x daily
BOI-SEA by AS, 4x mainline + 7x ERJ/Q400

DL will RON two A321s at BOI. Pretty big seat count increases. Probably see more of this than new destinations in my opinion. BOI-ATL has gone from planned A320 to 737-800.

maps4ltd

Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:45 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
msp747 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:

msp747 and SFAviation Geek: Thanks for your input! I've pretty much made up my mind to visit BOI in September. From the various responses and suggestions I've received it sounds like the kind of place I would enjoy. I was pleasantly surprised by places like PWM, BTV, CHS and BIL, so BOI seems like a nice little getaway. On many fronts this site has slid into mediocrity, but it's honest contributions like yours that keep me coming back. And the av-geek stuff of course.

As an avgeek, do you mind me asking what routing you're flying to get there?
Delta Gold Medallion

OzarkD9S

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:00 pm

maps4ltd wrote:

As an avgeek, do you mind me asking what routing you're flying to get there?

I live in St Louis and am part of DL and WN's FF programs. Most likely one of those carriers. I've been doing some preliminary research and will be traveling in October so nothing cast in stone as of yet. I've seen a couple of interesting options on DL: STL-MSP-SEA-BOI and STL-ATL-SLC-BOI. I've been thru ATL so many times recently it has little appeal, and the connection times on the two-stop routings are tight.

Schedules change of course and something interesting may pop up closer to booking time. I could just do STL-SLC-BOI as I'm curious to see the construction progress in SLC. Might fly DL one way and WN the other.
"True, I talk of dreams,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos