Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
SFAviationGeek
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:24 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
Lots of up gauging for summer. Some routes to note:


BOI-SLC by DL, all mainline at 5x daily
BOI-MSP by DL, all mainline at 3x daily
BOI-DFW by AA, all mainline 3x daily
BOI-SEA by AS, 4x mainline + 7x ERJ/Q400

DL will RON two A321s at BOI. Pretty big seat count increases. Probably see more of this than new destinations in my opinion. BOI-ATL has gone from planned A320 to 737-800.


Seems like DL is showing Boise some love (or maybe, the other way around?) Either way, with all the up gauging, maybe a DTW non-stop isn't as far off as I thought...
 
AAflyguy
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Buddys747 wrote:
BOI-DFW goes mainline at least the mid day turn. We booked a ski trip from MDT (Harrisburg, PA) to BOI end of February to March 5th. Out on UA thru ORD (E-175). Back on AA thru DFW. Got an updated itinerary a few weeks ago that the BOI-DFW changed time and equipment from an E-175 to A-319. Must be doing well! Looking forward to skiing at Tamarack, never been to Idaho.
There are still quite a few NE/east coast cities that would benefit from year round ATL and or IAD one stops!


Enjoy your Winter Idaho Adventure!! Lived in BOI for 4-years. Really enjoyed it, and it has grown significantly since I left. Tamarack took forever to get off the ground. Hope it impresses. Will you get to McCall also? Great lakeside town. MDT is my hometown airport. Always try to fly in there when I visit. Love the ease & convenience. AA’s DFW flight has been a great addition and I hope it does well enough to add a 2nd daily trip eventually. So many connections it opens up as the only hub in that part of the country served from MDT, aside from being AA’s largest hub.

AAflyguy
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:07 pm

SFAviationGeek wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
Lots of up gauging for summer. Some routes to note:


BOI-SLC by DL, all mainline at 5x daily
BOI-MSP by DL, all mainline at 3x daily
BOI-DFW by AA, all mainline 3x daily
BOI-SEA by AS, 4x mainline + 7x ERJ/Q400

DL will RON two A321s at BOI. Pretty big seat count increases. Probably see more of this than new destinations in my opinion. BOI-ATL has gone from planned A320 to 737-800.


Seems like DL is showing Boise some love (or maybe, the other way around?) Either way, with all the up gauging, maybe a DTW non-stop isn't as far off as I thought...

The late SLC flight was A321 through the holidays in 2019. Is MSP getting the A321 too?

It is crazy to see how far DL has come in the Boise market from the days when they merged with Western. For years, the only service was pretty much to SLC (I remember a short-lived route to PDX when they had a small hub there). When I was a kid, UA dominated the market. Now it appears DL is the dominant carrier among the big 3. UA has added a couple of destinations (IAH, LAX), but it's all E-175/CRJ200 service outside some of the DEN flights and the occasional summer SFO flight. AA has had a pretty minimal presence, although they do step things up in the summer. However, DL keeps most of these flights mainline for most of the year, not just summer. It seems like Q1 is the only time they down gauge to regional flights. SEA and LAX are the only routes that are always regional, but those are ones where they compete with other carriers.

When Concourse A opens in a few years, it wouldn't surprise me to see DL and AS take all of the gates.
 
Buddys747
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:32 am

AAflyguy wrote:
Buddys747 wrote:
BOI-DFW goes mainline at least the mid day turn. We booked a ski trip from MDT (Harrisburg, PA) to BOI end of February to March 5th. Out on UA thru ORD (E-175). Back on AA thru DFW. Got an updated itinerary a few weeks ago that the BOI-DFW changed time and equipment from an E-175 to A-319. Must be doing well! Looking forward to skiing at Tamarack, never been to Idaho.
There are still quite a few NE/east coast cities that would benefit from year round ATL and or IAD one stops!


Enjoy your Winter Idaho Adventure!! Lived in BOI for 4-years. Really enjoyed it, and it has grown significantly since I left. Tamarack took forever to get off the ground. Hope it impresses. Will you get to McCall also? Great lakeside town. MDT is my hometown airport. Always try to fly in there when I visit. Love the ease & convenience. AA’s DFW flight has been a great addition and I hope it does well enough to add a 2nd daily trip eventually. So many connections it opens up as the only hub in that part of the country served from MDT, aside from being AA’s largest hub.

AAflyguy

We definitely are looking forward to our trip, and do plan for dinner in McCall one night.
We typically go to Big Sky but wanted to try something different and Idaho was on our list. Sun Valley was planned to coincide but then we decided against it as it would be quite a bit of driving from Tamarack to Sun.
I was shocked that flights weren’t really any more expensive at Sun Valley than BOI, though the connections available were much less.
Just an FYI MDT-DFW also goes A319 in April , so it must be doing well!
I’d like to see UA add IAD-BOI, that would open up more connections for the Northeast.
Take care!
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:21 pm

The airport has a dedicated page now with dates about the expansion. I was getting frustrated as there were lots of articles but everything was very vague. The A Concourse won’t be complete till 2023. https://www.iflyboise.com/commercial-op ... i-upgrade/
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 pm

The official numbers are out from BOI and they easily broke the 4 million passengers mark, with more than 4.1 million in 2019. That was 6% more than the year before.

https://www.iflyboise.com/media/1587/december2019.pdf

It's shaping up to be another busy year, so I will be curious if they break it again.

LAXBUR wrote:
The airport has a dedicated page now with dates about the expansion. I was getting frustrated as there were lots of articles but everything was very vague. The A Concourse won’t be complete till 2023. https://www.iflyboise.com/commercial-op ... i-upgrade/

Thanks for finding that. I agree that everything has been vague. I knew construction was supposed to begin this year, but I thought the car rental facility was first. Seeing that it won't begin until next year, it's not a surprise that Concourse A won't be finished until 2023. It will be interesting to see how the airport handles growth in the meantime. They still have room, but are getting pretty tight on space.
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:34 am

It seems jetway utilization is relatively high now for a smaller airport. Seems like evening arrivals can be the biggest issue. I’ve waited a few times when flying Delta. And I’m curious if the airlines will shuffle around when A is done. I’ve never quite got why United opted for B21.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:03 am

The new concourse A sure is a lot of terminal space for only six gates. They almost look like wide body gates according to the renderings.

Is the new concourse going to have customs and immigration?
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 am

This story has a little more detail about Concourse A. Nothing about wide-bodies or customs. :)

https://boisedev.com/news/2018/09/11/bo ... r-plan-boi
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 am

LAXBUR wrote:
It seems jetway utilization is relatively high now for a smaller airport. Seems like evening arrivals can be the biggest issue. I’ve waited a few times when flying Delta. And I’m curious if the airlines will shuffle around when A is done. I’ve never quite got why United opted for B21.

I agree that jetway utilization is high for a small airport. Obviously, like most smaller airports, it is busiest in the morning and after 9 pm. A lot of the planes that come in at night get moved to hard stands to make way for other flights. I noticed the last time I was there that most of those are OO aircraft that are taken over to the maintenance hangar. However, I noticed some mainline aircraft that were moved to make room.

I think it is strange as well that UA has gates B10 and B11, then uses B21 for their third gate as opposed to B14, which is closest to B10/11. I get that B14 is limited to regional jets, but that should not be a problem for UA, especially considering the number of regional jet flights they have. Meanwhile, DL has gates B20 and B22 and uses B14 as their third gate, as opposed to B21. I'm sure there is a backstory on that. I also hope BOI renumbers the B concourse when A opens, since the numbering was done when the original terminal was still standing and makes no sense now. B currently starts with B10 and skips 12 and 13.

As for who gets Concourse A when it opens, I'd guess it will be AS and DL. AS because they currently have only one jetway, and you still have to go outside to use it. I also think because they have shifted away from the Q400s that Concourse C was designed for and more towards regional jets, which other airlines use their jetways for. As for DL, I think they'd get them because they are the biggest of the 3 legacy carriers in Boise. Moving them to A would free up more space for WN, UA, and maybe AA to grow.
 
HNLSLCPDX
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:31 am

^^^
Or maybe even gate space for Moxy/Breeze :duck:
 
alasizon
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:46 am

LAXBUR wrote:
BOI-ATL has gone from planned A320 to 737-800.


Yet per the most recent OAG thread it is being cut down to 5x weekly along with BZN.

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new concourse A sure is a lot of terminal space for only six gates. They almost look like wide body gates according to the renderings.

Is the new concourse going to have customs and immigration?

Definitely concur that the gate space is quite big for only six gates. Plus, a 30,000 square foot concourse is a lot of space for only six gates but since they aren't capitalizing on the end gate space, it makes sense that they are wasting some space.

By comparison, the existing Concourse B is about 42,000 sq feet by my rough estimate.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:41 pm

Alaska to fly Boise-Everett. I do find this a rather surprising add. Per this article they’re using a PDX-PAE flight for BOI-PAE.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/bus ... 62568.html
 
SFAviationGeek
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:50 pm

^^^^ This makes a lot of sense. The air traffic between SEA-BOI has been EXPLODING. 2nd new destination in BOI for 2020. Nice! Now just waiting for SNA and maybe IAD (hopefully).
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:28 pm

msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
It seems jetway utilization is relatively high now for a smaller airport. Seems like evening arrivals can be the biggest issue. I’ve waited a few times when flying Delta. And I’m curious if the airlines will shuffle around when A is done. I’ve never quite got why United opted for B21.


I think it is strange as well that UA has gates B10 and B11, then uses B21 for their third gate as opposed to B14, which is closest to B10/11. I get that B14 is limited to regional jets, but that should not be a problem for UA, especially considering the number of regional jet flights they have. Meanwhile, DL has gates B20 and B22 and uses B14 as their third gate, as opposed to B21. I'm sure there is a backstory on that. I also hope BOI renumbers the B concourse when A opens, since the numbering was done when the original terminal was still standing and makes no sense now. B currently starts with B10 and skips 12 and 13..


I read awhile ago that the airport intentionally did not change the gate numbers in fear of confusing people. That’s a little “townie”. Being slightly OCD it annoys me it starts at 10 and there’s no B12-13.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:01 pm

msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
It seems jetway utilization is relatively high now for a smaller airport. Seems like evening arrivals can be the biggest issue. I’ve waited a few times when flying Delta. And I’m curious if the airlines will shuffle around when A is done. I’ve never quite got why United opted for B21.

I agree that jetway utilization is high for a small airport. Obviously, like most smaller airports, it is busiest in the morning and after 9 pm. A lot of the planes that come in at night get moved to hard stands to make way for other flights. I noticed the last time I was there that most of those are OO aircraft that are taken over to the maintenance hangar. However, I noticed some mainline aircraft that were moved to make room.

I think it is strange as well that UA has gates B10 and B11, then uses B21 for their third gate as opposed to B14, which is closest to B10/11. I get that B14 is limited to regional jets, but that should not be a problem for UA, especially considering the number of regional jet flights they have. Meanwhile, DL has gates B20 and B22 and uses B14 as their third gate, as opposed to B21. I'm sure there is a backstory on that. I also hope BOI renumbers the B concourse when A opens, since the numbering was done when the original terminal was still standing and makes no sense now. B currently starts with B10 and skips 12 and 13..


UA also uses 14 during the day as I have seen numerous times when walking in. Seems a 3:2 ratio for DL/UA. Mostly during midday, like yesterday when they (UA) had their 4 planes land within 20 minutes. 1 175, 2 CRJ, 1 A319. Looks like a hospital room by the gate door due to DL and UA mobile check-in setups LOL.

As for BOI-PAE, I really an amazed at this. Guess GEG-PAE must be working well, as this would be a similar type route IMO.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:05 pm

sprxUSA wrote:

As for BOI-PAE, I really an amazed at this. Guess GEG-PAE must be working well, as this would be a similar type route IMO.


I’m surprised too. On the surface people may think geographically it makes sense. Obviously they see potential. GEG makes a bit more sense because of intra-State business and I believe Boeing has stuff going on in Eastern Washington. Tech is big in Boise so perhaps there’s enough of that coupled with Seattle Ex-pats/family to make this work.

Alaska will be around 30 flights a day at peak season/days. I thought after the merger BOI would actually see some stagnation or even cuts from possible merger costs. But I’ve been surprised.
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:20 pm

alasizon wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new concourse A sure is a lot of terminal space for only six gates. They almost look like wide body gates according to the renderings.

Is the new concourse going to have customs and immigration?

Definitely concur that the gate space is quite big for only six gates. Plus, a 30,000 square foot concourse is a lot of space for only six gates but since they aren't capitalizing on the end gate space, it makes sense that they are wasting some space.

By comparison, the existing Concourse B is about 42,000 sq feet by my rough estimate.

I am guessing that the rendering you see there is not exact, and more just to highlight where Concourse A will be. It even says they haven't offered the bid to design it yet. Looking at the master plan adds to the confusion though. It shows there will be 10 gates on Concourse A, but that they will be built in 3 separate phases. Phase 1 would only be 3 gates, while phases 2 and 3 would add 4, then 3 more gates.

https://www.iflyboise.com/media/1448/bampu-terminal.pdf

I don't know if this means they only plan to build 3 gates for now, or if they decided to do the entire build-out at once. I noticed that part of the project that will be up for bid is constructing the aprons on both sides of the new concourse, so maybe they are going to do the whole thing. I'm guessing traffic this year might play a role in the decision.

LAXBUR wrote:
msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
It seems jetway utilization is relatively high now for a smaller airport. Seems like evening arrivals can be the biggest issue. I’ve waited a few times when flying Delta. And I’m curious if the airlines will shuffle around when A is done. I’ve never quite got why United opted for B21.


I think it is strange as well that UA has gates B10 and B11, then uses B21 for their third gate as opposed to B14, which is closest to B10/11. I get that B14 is limited to regional jets, but that should not be a problem for UA, especially considering the number of regional jet flights they have. Meanwhile, DL has gates B20 and B22 and uses B14 as their third gate, as opposed to B21. I'm sure there is a backstory on that. I also hope BOI renumbers the B concourse when A opens, since the numbering was done when the original terminal was still standing and makes no sense now. B currently starts with B10 and skips 12 and 13..


I read awhile ago that the airport intentionally did not change the gate numbers in fear of confusing people. That’s a little “townie”. Being slightly OCD it annoys me it starts at 10 and there’s no B12-13.

Yeah, it drives me nuts too and considering how much the region has grown, there is no reason to keep it this way. I don't think people even notice that sort of thing, they just look to see what gate their ticket says they are at. I know they plan to renovate Concourse B after A is built to make it feel similar to travelers. My guess is that's when they'd make the change, if ever.
 
QXorVX
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:45 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:54 am

Interesting to see the potential option for dismantling of the C gates in that render to convert to regular gates. Must be frustrating after they built that out for Horizon’s hub- just for it to disappear.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:52 pm

QXorVX wrote:
Interesting to see the potential option for dismantling of the C gates in that render to convert to regular gates. Must be frustrating after they built that out for Horizon’s hub- just for it to disappear.


Well it has been there 17 years, and things change. Plus, I don't think the upper level gates will be built out for some time after A is built. By then, it'll have been 20+ years.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:15 pm

QXorVX wrote:
Interesting to see the potential option for dismantling of the C gates in that render to convert to regular gates. Must be frustrating after they built that out for Horizon’s hub- just for it to disappear.

Even though the QX "hub" may not exist anymore, I'd argue AS utilizes the C gates more now than they did in the past. I remember shortly after they opened that concourse, QX only used the eastern finger on C, while the western side sat mostly unused (Continental Express used it for a little while when they had ERJ service to IAH). Now, it seems like AS uses all of C, with the eastern finger strictly for Q400 flights, while the E-Jets and the 737s utilize all of the western side. They even added a jet bridge at the end of the western finger.

I think the master plan shows the C gates converted to jet bridges because that is what they will do if QX retires the Q400 fleet and becomes an E-Jet only airline. I could see BOI putting 4 jet bridges for E-Jets down there, similar to how SLC's soon to be demolished B concourse is. Or, AS could move its entire operation to the new concourse A and BOI could put 3 737-sized gates down on C and give WN its own concourse. Or maybe give those gates to the ULCCs.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 784
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:11 pm

msp747 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
The new concourse A sure is a lot of terminal space for only six gates. They almost look like wide body gates according to the renderings.

Is the new concourse going to have customs and immigration?

Definitely concur that the gate space is quite big for only six gates. Plus, a 30,000 square foot concourse is a lot of space for only six gates but since they aren't capitalizing on the end gate space, it makes sense that they are wasting some space.

By comparison, the existing Concourse B is about 42,000 sq feet by my rough estimate.

I am guessing that the rendering you see there is not exact, and more just to highlight where Concourse A will be. It even says they haven't offered the bid to design it yet. Looking at the master plan adds to the confusion though. It shows there will be 10 gates on Concourse A, but that they will be built in 3 separate phases. Phase 1 would only be 3 gates, while phases 2 and 3 would add 4, then 3 more gates.

https://www.iflyboise.com/media/1448/bampu-terminal.pdf

I don't know if this means they only plan to build 3 gates for now, or if they decided to do the entire build-out at once. I noticed that part of the project that will be up for bid is constructing the aprons on both sides of the new concourse, so maybe they are going to do the whole thing. I'm guessing traffic this year might play a role in the decision.

LAXBUR wrote:
msp747 wrote:

I think it is strange as well that UA has gates B10 and B11, then uses B21 for their third gate as opposed to B14, which is closest to B10/11. I get that B14 is limited to regional jets, but that should not be a problem for UA, especially considering the number of regional jet flights they have. Meanwhile, DL has gates B20 and B22 and uses B14 as their third gate, as opposed to B21. I'm sure there is a backstory on that. I also hope BOI renumbers the B concourse when A opens, since the numbering was done when the original terminal was still standing and makes no sense now. B currently starts with B10 and skips 12 and 13..


I read awhile ago that the airport intentionally did not change the gate numbers in fear of confusing people. That’s a little “townie”. Being slightly OCD it annoys me it starts at 10 and there’s no B12-13.

Yeah, it drives me nuts too and considering how much the region has grown, there is no reason to keep it this way. I don't think people even notice that sort of thing, they just look to see what gate their ticket says they are at. I know they plan to renovate Concourse B after A is built to make it feel similar to travelers. My guess is that's when they'd make the change, if ever.


If you zoom in on the photo, you can faintly see 2 additional gates on the south side of the new terminal...they just don't have airplanes parked at the jetway.

I've wondered for a few years when/if BOI would see a connection to YVR? I feel like a daily or less than daily flight on Air Canada would do OK.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:23 pm

If they added more mainline gates to A, the C7C-12 would be removed, as A ones would use that apron area from the second level. Totally as needed scenario.
If BOI was to have any flights to Canada, they would have already been occurring. There is really no correlation between folks that use BOI and SW Canada, IMO. Zip business ties, no VFR traffic, no reason to pay extra taxes flying from YVR either over SEA to BOI.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:38 pm

I don’t see Boise having international flights anytime soon, even to Canada. Unless they wanted to steal some overseas connections via YVR (they’ve done this with Toronto). But I just don’t think there’s enough of that from Boise. Perhaps this decade there may be something to Mexico as the Hispanic population increases. I could see that before Canada.
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:09 pm

Looks like TWF got the grant to chase service to DEN.

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Twin- ... 44691.html
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:09 pm

OAG Thread for 03/01/20 notes for BOI

Fall reductions by AS. PDX and SEA each see one flight cut. SAN sees a reduction back to 1x daily in fall - appears to come back weekend prior to Thanksgiving.

Delta is going to 3x daily to LAX in the fall. A curious time to do so. Not a whole lot of room at LAX for DL, surprised to see this one.
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:42 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
OAG Thread for 03/01/20 notes for BOI

Fall reductions by AS. PDX and SEA each see one flight cut. SAN sees a reduction back to 1x daily in fall - appears to come back weekend prior to Thanksgiving.

Delta is going to 3x daily to LAX in the fall. A curious time to do so. Not a whole lot of room at LAX for DL, surprised to see this one.

Thanks for the update. I have been interested in how the LAX fight shakes out since AS decided to reenter that market. DL obviously is answering with more flights. I will be curious to see what UA does. One of their flights is still on a CRJ, while AS and DL offer E-175 service for all of their flights. I'd have to be quite the UA loyalist to book a flight that long on a CRJ.

As for the other reductions, cutting a SEA and PDX flight does not surprise me. They have a TON of service between those cities, so losing one during the slower season isn't a big deal. Bummed about SAN though... I had hopes that route would keep growing.
 
mysfit
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:56 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
OK. So this isn't aviation related per se. But I've google mapped BOI and Boise, and there seems to be quite a few interesting places to visit. Never been to Idaho and would like to knock that off my "All 50 States" list. Only 7 to go. So to any BOI locals, is it worth my time, like 3-4 days? I would make an out and back day trip of it, just to say I've "been" there but I love smaller walking towns with some character. Plus the downtown hotels are reasonably priced and close to all the things that seem worth a visit. Should I? Thinking of September. Thanks for your input.

Now to av-geek it to remain on topic. I live in STL and DL and WN are my carriers of choice. WN through DEN or DL through MSP or SCL. Is SLC a mess with all the construction going on? I've only been through there once on UA, and I've been through MSP many times so what's the skinny?


World Center for Birds of Prey would be a good stop.

Some decent wineries in the area also.
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:35 am

msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
OAG Thread for 03/01/20 notes for BOI

Fall reductions by AS. PDX and SEA each see one flight cut. SAN sees a reduction back to 1x daily in fall - appears to come back weekend prior to Thanksgiving.

Delta is going to 3x daily to LAX in the fall. A curious time to do so. Not a whole lot of room at LAX for DL, surprised to see this one.

Thanks for the update. I have been interested in how the LAX fight shakes out since AS decided to reenter that market. DL obviously is answering with more flights. I will be curious to see what UA does. One of their flights is still on a CRJ, while AS and DL offer E-175 service for all of their flights. I'd have to be quite the UA loyalist to book a flight that long on a CRJ.

As for the other reductions, cutting a SEA and PDX flight does not surprise me. They have a TON of service between those cities, so losing one during the slower season isn't a big deal. Bummed about SAN though... I had hopes that route would keep growing.


Last time I checked UA will use CRJ200s 6x a day between BOI and SFO. And then a few combined to LAX and DEN. I think it is safe to say they’re the only airline to use any CRJ at BOI - at least going into summer. Not sure how sensitive people in Boise are to this - but not a great look.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:40 am

With the crj and SFO constant delays and problems, I am amazed that anyone would bother trying to go UA to/thru SFO anymore with the available alternate choices available.
DL AS UA and G4 offer well ore LAX service than ever before, hopefully it will remain , but with the uncertainty of current situation, who knows....
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5433
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Just read thru the thread and didn't see mention of G4 starting IDA-SAN this summer. Maybe I missed it.

In any case, I'm glad to see it, even though it's only for the peak summer months and of course, being Allegiant, it's only twice-weekly service (M & F). But it's a start; SAN will now have nonstop service to 2 Idaho airports (on 3 cx!) That's great to see! I wonder if TWF might be next?

Final note: it's been mentioned up-thread that AS's SAN-BOI service is showing as being cut back to a single daily r/t in Sept. There are several increases in intra-CA service from SAN on that date and I'm thinking perhaps AS needed the a/c from the 2nd BOI trip to fund some of those high-capacity route (such as SAN-SJC) increases? Heck, it might even have something to do with fleet pressure due to the damned MAX situation.

Almost every EMJ route from SAN is now at least double-daily so BOI will be a notable exception. (Of course SAN-BOI has WN competition so that might be an important factor too.) I personally hope and expect to see SAN-BOI back to at least twice daily, at least before spring of 2021. I have no doubt that AS is very pleased with the route and will do all possible to remain the leader in the market. Eventually, I expect we'll undoubtedly see mainline service in the market from AS.

bb
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5734
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:35 pm

mysfit wrote:

World Center for Birds of Prey would be a good stop.

Some decent wineries in the area also.


Thanks for the info. Birds of Prey is just my kinda thing! Never would have heard of it.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:38 pm

G4 tried TWF ( although in 2009/10 or so) I don't think they will return. But Zzif they did, I would like to see LAX and advert in LA as cheap way to Sun Valley.....
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
chop69
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:49 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
mysfit wrote:

World Center for Birds of Prey would be a good stop.

Some decent wineries in the area also.


Thanks for the info. Birds of Prey is just my kinda thing! Never would have heard of it.


And Birds of Prey is right by the Airport (and my house). Be prepared, though, the main road down to Birds of Prey is under construction right now.
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:24 am

LAXBUR wrote:
msp747 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
OAG Thread for 03/01/20 notes for BOI

Fall reductions by AS. PDX and SEA each see one flight cut. SAN sees a reduction back to 1x daily in fall - appears to come back weekend prior to Thanksgiving.

Delta is going to 3x daily to LAX in the fall. A curious time to do so. Not a whole lot of room at LAX for DL, surprised to see this one.

Thanks for the update. I have been interested in how the LAX fight shakes out since AS decided to reenter that market. DL obviously is answering with more flights. I will be curious to see what UA does. One of their flights is still on a CRJ, while AS and DL offer E-175 service for all of their flights. I'd have to be quite the UA loyalist to book a flight that long on a CRJ.

As for the other reductions, cutting a SEA and PDX flight does not surprise me. They have a TON of service between those cities, so losing one during the slower season isn't a big deal. Bummed about SAN though... I had hopes that route would keep growing.


Last time I checked UA will use CRJ200s 6x a day between BOI and SFO. And then a few combined to LAX and DEN. I think it is safe to say they’re the only airline to use any CRJ at BOI - at least going into summer. Not sure how sensitive people in Boise are to this - but not a great look.

Yeah, I can't think of another airline that uses CRJ-200s at BOI. AA's ORD service is on a 700, and I've seen DL's MSP flight on a 900 from time to time. The UA 200s are in bad shape too. The last one I was on had a DL interior color scheme, lots of tape holding things together, and my tray table was broken. I think BOI-SFO would be the limit on how far I'd fly on one these days, but even that's debatable considering those flights can often face delays because of weather.

SANFan wrote:
Final note: it's been mentioned up-thread that AS's SAN-BOI service is showing as being cut back to a single daily r/t in Sept. There are several increases in intra-CA service from SAN on that date and I'm thinking perhaps AS needed the a/c from the 2nd BOI trip to fund some of those high-capacity route (such as SAN-SJC) increases? Heck, it might even have something to do with fleet pressure due to the damned MAX situation.

Almost every EMJ route from SAN is now at least double-daily so BOI will be a notable exception. (Of course SAN-BOI has WN competition so that might be an important factor too.) I personally hope and expect to see SAN-BOI back to at least twice daily, at least before spring of 2021. I have no doubt that AS is very pleased with the route and will do all possible to remain the leader in the market. Eventually, I expect we'll undoubtedly see mainline service in the market from AS.

bb

That would make sense that AS needs the plane elsewhere. I'm with you in hoping it returns. I don't have any problems with WN, but I'd personally prefer to fly AS. As for mainline service, I'd love to see some of the flights outside of SEA get up-gauged. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be awhile... although I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of SEA flights that are now mainline.
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:22 pm

The work on an RNP approach into SUN continues. The OO manager in TWF says the testing is going even better than expected. The plan for now is to keep the winter diversion infrastructure in place for one more season and see if it will still be needed.

https://iflysun.com/2019/11/26/november ... rs-minute/
 
evank516
Posts: 2173
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:36 pm

jplatts wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
SFAviationGeek wrote:
It would also be awesome to see a northeast hub connection to EWR or IAD but I think that's a long ways off.


BOI-ORD gets E75s - by both UA and AA - even in summer. BOI-EWR/IAD is far enough to demand mainline. BOI-DTW on an E75 (and good connections to the Northeast) might be a hope sooner fulfilled.


I agree that DL adding BOI-DTW on an E-175 regional jet is a possibility with OO currently operating SEA-MKE nonstop service on behalf of DL using an E-175 regional jet and with the SEA-MKE nonstop route being 34 miles longer than BOI-DTW. OO also already operates some DL Connection flights out of DL's DTW hub.


I believe SEA-MKE is going mainline with an A220 rather soon.
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:01 pm

I had been wondering for the past few weeks what impact COVID-19 would have on the expansion plans at BOI. Well, now we know...

https://boisedev.com/news/2020/04/16/bo ... arage-esi/

I figured some of the other projects might be delayed, but it does surprise me they stopped this one. While actual construction hadn't started, they had been doing site prep and road realignment for this garage.
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:11 pm

msp747 wrote:
I had been wondering for the past few weeks what impact COVID-19 would have on the expansion plans at BOI. Well, now we know...

https://boisedev.com/news/2020/04/16/bo ... arage-esi/

I figured some of the other projects might be delayed, but it does surprise me they stopped this one. While actual construction hadn't started, they had been doing site prep and road realignment for this garage.


The new mayor seemed to be voted in with the idea of more fiscal caution, so this isn’t surprising. While funding is separate from city projects, I’m sure some in town would loudly be complaining about airport projects with virtually no passengers. I suspect Boise won’t get back to last years number till 2022 or later.
 
User avatar
msp747
Topic Author
Posts: 479
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:24 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
msp747 wrote:
I had been wondering for the past few weeks what impact COVID-19 would have on the expansion plans at BOI. Well, now we know...

https://boisedev.com/news/2020/04/16/bo ... arage-esi/

I figured some of the other projects might be delayed, but it does surprise me they stopped this one. While actual construction hadn't started, they had been doing site prep and road realignment for this garage.


The new mayor seemed to be voted in with the idea of more fiscal caution, so this isn’t surprising. While funding is separate from city projects, I’m sure some in town would loudly be complaining about airport projects with virtually no passengers. I suspect Boise won’t get back to last years number till 2022 or later.

Yeah, not faulting the decision. Traffic is down to just about nothing. By my unofficial count, AS is down to 5 or 6 flights a day. Conserving cash is a good move.

The reaction to the decision on the Boise Dev Facebook page has been pretty mixed. A lot of people think it's a short-sighted move. Others are applauding the decision.
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:33 pm

It appears Alaska is adding another jetbridge. The linked article states for “larger” planes. I’m not sure 737-type aircraft could fit in this area unless they remove a couple or more ground load gates. I’m really interested into the necessity of this. Based on future additions such as SFO, Alaska seems committed to the Boise Area.

https://boisedev.com/news/2020/07/09/bo ... -new-gate/
 
superjeff
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:44 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
OK. So this isn't aviation related per se. But I've google mapped BOI and Boise, and there seems to be quite a few interesting places to visit. Never been to Idaho and would like to knock that off my "All 50 States" list. Only 7 to go. So to any BOI locals, is it worth my time, like 3-4 days? I would make an out and back day trip of it, just to say I've "been" there but I love smaller walking towns with some character. Plus the downtown hotels are reasonably priced and close to all the things that seem worth a visit. Should I? Thinking of September. Thanks for your input.

Now to av-geek it to remain on topic. I live in STL and DL and WN are my carriers of choice. WN through DEN or DL through MSP or SCL. Is SLC a mess with all the construction going on? I've only been through there once on UA, and I've been through MSP many times so what's the skinny?



Idaho is the only state I haven't been to yet, so I see where you're coming from. I do know, though, from friends who live and work there, and from familiarity with parts of Montana that are pretty close, that its worth the visit.

As for SLC, I flew through there Friday afternoon, traveling MSO-SLC-DFW, and the airport was not too bad, although the construction was obvious.
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5734
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:42 am

superjeff wrote:

Idaho is the only state I haven't been to yet, so I see where you're coming from. I do know, though, from friends who live and work there, and from familiarity with parts of Montana that are pretty close, that its worth the visit.

As for SLC, I flew through there Friday afternoon, traveling MSO-SLC-DFW, and the airport was not too bad, although the construction was obvious.


I had a 3 night trip booked for next month, DL STL-MSP-BOI-SLC-STL. Booked a room at The Grove. Then a schedule change happened resulting in a misconnect in SLC on the return, and no viable option (on DL) for a same day return. So I had to cancel due to my work schedule. Now the virus is on the upswing again so that may have been the Universe telling me to stay home for a while longer. :lol:

Maybe next year.
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL
 
LAXBUR
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: Idaho Travel

Idaho as a whole is rather underrated (and unknown). There are many unique and beautiful scenic sights in Idaho that aren’t well known such as Craters of the Moon and the Sawtooth range. The latter rivals the Tetons in my opinion in beauty. Northern Idaho has beautiful lakes and scenery as well.

Boise is a great weekend trip. The area, as many “hot towns” are these days, is both overrated and underrated. Summer is the best time to visit as the city is “green” compared to the high desert that surrounds it. The river can be floated through the summer and there’s a beautiful greenbelt along the river. The river is crystal clear and you can see people fly fishing right in the middle of the city. Plenty of breweries, wineries and decent dining scene for a city the size of Boise. You can get around on bikes or scooters to most places in and around Downtown Boise. Boise is probably the cleanest city I’ve ever visited or lived in. The suburbs - where most of the growth is - are pretty blah to me and I don’t understand why so many Californians prefer those areas that are just carbon copies of where they came from.
 
User avatar
smithbs
Posts: 519
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:03 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
Re: Idaho Travel

Idaho as a whole is rather underrated (and unknown). There are many unique and beautiful scenic sights in Idaho that aren’t well known such as Craters of the Moon and the Sawtooth range. The latter rivals the Tetons in my opinion in beauty. Northern Idaho has beautiful lakes and scenery as well.

Boise is a great weekend trip. The area, as many “hot towns” are these days, is both overrated and underrated. Summer is the best time to visit as the city is “green” compared to the high desert that surrounds it. The river can be floated through the summer and there’s a beautiful greenbelt along the river. The river is crystal clear and you can see people fly fishing right in the middle of the city. Plenty of breweries, wineries and decent dining scene for a city the size of Boise. You can get around on bikes or scooters to most places in and around Downtown Boise. Boise is probably the cleanest city I’ve ever visited or lived in. The suburbs - where most of the growth is - are pretty blah to me and I don’t understand why so many Californians prefer those areas that are just carbon copies of where they came from.


Boise can be a good weekend trip if planned out. Being a Spokane native, I've always been partial to the Panhandle. Beautiful camping and boating. GEG is going to be your main airport for that area, though. No commercial service at COE.
 
oosnowrat
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: Idaho Airports and Aviation Thread - 2020

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:32 am

The legislature has formed an intrastate air service committee. Curious what they might come up with. Maybe something along the lines of Wyoming's subsidized service?

https://dnews.com/coronavirus/pullman-a ... d4f0c.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos