Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Checklist787

Re: Airbus To Offer Dimmable Windows

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:24 am

A320FlyGuy wrote:

The L-1011 was an amazing aircraft! My grandfather was the chief engineer who designed it and I’ve always been really proud of his work on that plane.

Congratulations!

It is an honour for me...

A320FlyGuy wrote:
I’d love to chat with you more about it if you want - send me a private message and we can chat about it!

Once more time It is an honour for me...
See you soon
"No limit to my poooWer!!!
Do it! "...

pune

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am

hongkongflyer wrote:
Exeiowa wrote:
Your ticket entitles you for a trip from A to B for an often additional amount, or by benefit of being in a higher ticket category (such as when flying under an airline-company contract) you get to pick the window seat preferentially. is the additional perk guaranteed having to climb over people to pee or access to an external view?

Only if airline no longer charging seat selection fee, some airlines charge higher for a window seat and arise seat.

what is 'arise seat' ?

chimborazo

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:39 am

pune wrote:
hongkongflyer wrote:
Exeiowa wrote:
Your ticket entitles you for a trip from A to B for an often additional amount, or by benefit of being in a higher ticket category (such as when flying under an airline-company contract) you get to pick the window seat preferentially. is the additional perk guaranteed having to climb over people to pee or access to an external view?

Only if airline no longer charging seat selection fee, some airlines charge higher for a window seat and arise seat.

what is 'arise seat' ?

Aisle seat. More to pay for selection of window and aisle than middle seats.

Noshow

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:44 am

First they widen the window size, to make flying more comfortable for the passengers seeing the horizon line at any one time, and then they restrict visibility with centrally controlled dimming tools because people cannot look at their -not bright enough- screens anymore.

Jomar777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:46 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
and become 100 times darker, effectively eliminating more than 99.999% of visible light.

Nice... though it's gonna suck on those airlines where the crew uses a mother-switch to just override everyone's window and make the cabin dark as throughout the flight.

Quite right you are. You can bring the innovation but cannot control how it is going to be used...

Jomar777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Nice... though it's gonna suck on those airlines where the crew uses a mother-switch to just override everyone's window and make the cabin dark as throughout the flight.

the 787 has that feature and I hear it's not all that popular, though with some individual tweaks it could be.

This website is about the only place they are even up for debate. Out in the real world, they almost universally disliked.

Errr... nope!! Opnion on those is fairly split but I see that most of people (including myself) actually do like them - mainly on a day flight when you can partially darken them enabling you to have light without disturb people around you.

it is not because you do not like that everyone follows suit.

rbretas

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:49 am

The airlines will most definitely make a market research before making the choice, as it was with the shell seats (which, in my minority opinion, unfortunately were not popular). But as someone else said before, only a little more than 20% of the seats have windows, so I guess the result is easy to predict.

The dimming windows are great to control that one obnoxious passenger that insists in lifting the shade every 15 minutes while half of the airplane is sleeping (the adult version of the "dad, are we there yet?"). And there is always some light leak in any eyeshade, specially those cheap ones you get on the airplane (or maybe my nose is too big...).

Also a lot of people choose window seats not for the window but for the wall, which offers some extra support when you are trying to sleep.

Jomar777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 am

L0VE2FLY wrote:
There's no words in the English language or any language for that matter to describe how much I hate this terrible gimmick! What's the point of paying for a window seat if you have no control over your window?! I refuse to fly on the 787 because of the stupid dimming windows. I'm beyond disappointed! :mad:

Colonia wrote:
It is horrible (at least the way Boeing has installed it on the 787). My five cents.

:checkmark: What makes it so horrible is the crew override feature, a friend of mine missed out on seeing the stunning glaciers of Greenland and the Northern Lights 'cause the crew dimmed and locked all the windows. :banghead:

You might AVOID to fly on a B787 but would certianly fly on one if it is your only feasible option on a flight you might need/want to take.

Also, let's not judge a feature on the way people/crew/etc. use them. I, for example, really like the sound quality of the iPhone XR when using Spotify and SoundHound to listen to music but abhors having to use a train/bus with people using those and other music playing apps 100db loud with no headphones whatsoever. Does not mean the device/app is bad, isn't it?

Complain with the airline in regards to their approach...

Jomar777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 am

Exeiowa wrote:
The glaciers of Greenland are an amazing site when the light is right. When I first got to experience them the captain came on the radio to advice us of the opportunity and banked the aircraft a little to give us a better view and encouraged the sharing of the view with our fellow passengers who were not sitting directly at the window. Or alternatively you can sit in perpetual darkness, its up to you.

Or you can choose an Airline which does not have dimmable windows but that has a FA harassing you for not closing your blinds and a pilot that tells you to sod off to sleep when you question to the crew whether you could have a chance to see the Glaciers.

It is not the aircraft or its windows that are the problem - it is the cabin crew on the flight you take (and maybe their airline training) that is the issue.

scbriml

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:02 am

So much bitching about "god given rights". God given? :rotfl:

On the other hand are all the unsubstantiated claims about how many like or dislike dimmable windows. Cite sources otherwise it's just opinion.

a.net can be hilarious at times. Thinking about it, we haven't had a crying baby rant-thread for some time. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Noshow

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:10 am

I think it is legitimate for a passenger to define one's own preferences. Those need to be coordinated with other passengers interests but finally on a dayflight there is no god given right to sit in the dark.
It's one of those innovations that have some real world disadvantages. I.E. it's almost impossible to ever take a picture through electric shaded windows.
Like bulky IFE boxes within your legspace. I prefer no IFE and space over IFE and no space.

yurieu

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:25 am

I wish we had an automatic other people smartphones and notebooks dimming feature, the I'd only have to deal with people's headphones cranked at max volume.

skipness1E

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm

chimborazo wrote:
It’s not just about seeing the view... it can be hard to see the IFE sometimes with light blazing in- especially of course when directed at your own screen, so just saying everyone affected should get an eye mask is not the answer.
Often it’s possible to go look out the galley window when all the windows are dimmed. I’ve done That. To be fair... it’s more likely for the crew to be okay with it when you’re up front.

I was on a Qatar 787 recently where in business the seat backs are relatively low. I was in 5K and IIRC the young lad in 3A had pointed his personal light at his (highly reflective)IFE screen. It was shining right in my eyes as I was sat up for feed time. Asked the FA to move it and he kindly did.

I’ve often sat on planes and someone’s watch/phone is reflecting the light through an open window either repeatedly flashing across my face or flitting about all over the inside of the cabin. How will wearing an eye mask stop this but allow me to watch the IFE?

Therefore we all have to sit in the pitch dark and watch a movie?
I have not been troubled by this in 28 years of flying, it has happened a couple of times, solved by me putting my arm up on the seat in front to block the light until it stops. Personally I find noise more instrusive than light, like the couple on the *opposite* side of an A346 who decided to watch a movie on her laptop with the sound up to share the experience, or the two pensioners behind me last week flying MCO-CLT with an ipad game with the volume at max making lou d"PING" PONG" SPLASH" sounds randomly. Look, most of the time the sun is not bouncing off screens or in anyone's eyes, it's too high in the sky most of the time. Most of the time, it's simply a brighter ambient light. Now in the circumstances where it is right in your eyes, or on your IFE, then that's the time to speak up. However, this minority of times, is it really reason enough to have the whole cabin sitting in darkness on a day flight?

Reddevil556

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:50 pm

scbriml wrote:

On the other hand are all the unsubstantiated claims about how many like or dislike dimmable windows. Cite sources otherwise it's just opinion.

a.net can be hilarious at times. Thinking about it, we haven't had a crying baby rant-thread for some time. :sarcastic:

Oh you forgot that on the back of the 10 Commandments, are the airline passenger Bill of Rights.
Jumped out of: C130H, C130J, C17A, C212, CH47, and UH60. Bucket list: C160, A400, C2

chimborazo

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:03 pm

skipness1E wrote:
chimborazo wrote:
It’s not just about seeing the view... it can be hard to see the IFE sometimes with light blazing in- especially of course when directed at your own screen, so just saying everyone affected should get an eye mask is not the answer.
Often it’s possible to go look out the galley window when all the windows are dimmed. I’ve done That. To be fair... it’s more likely for the crew to be okay with it when you’re up front.

I was on a Qatar 787 recently where in business the seat backs are relatively low. I was in 5K and IIRC the young lad in 3A had pointed his personal light at his (highly reflective)IFE screen. It was shining right in my eyes as I was sat up for feed time. Asked the FA to move it and he kindly did.

I’ve often sat on planes and someone’s watch/phone is reflecting the light through an open window either repeatedly flashing across my face or flitting about all over the inside of the cabin. How will wearing an eye mask stop this but allow me to watch the IFE?

Therefore we all have to sit in the pitch dark and watch a movie?
I have not been troubled by this in 28 years of flying, it has happened a couple of times, solved by me putting my arm up on the seat in front to block the light until it stops. Personally I find noise more instrusive than light, like the couple on the *opposite* side of an A346 who decided to watch a movie on her laptop with the sound up to share the experience, or the two pensioners behind me last week flying MCO-CLT with an ipad game with the volume at max making lou d"PING" PONG" SPLASH" sounds randomly. Look, most of the time the sun is not bouncing off screens or in anyone's eyes, it's too high in the sky most of the time. Most of the time, it's simply a brighter ambient light. Now in the circumstances where it is right in your eyes, or on your IFE, then that's the time to speak up. However, this minority of times, is it really reason enough to have the whole cabin sitting in darkness on a day flight?

Put some ear plugs in then. What’s the difference between someone watching a laptop with the sound on inflicting that on everyone else versus you thinking it’s okay to inflict your personal desire to fill the cabin with light on everyone? FYI I had the same happen and asked the cabin crew member to have a word with them. And I also had a bloke in the seat behind me doing the same... I asked him if he’d mind using his headphones... he was, but hadn’t plugged them in! Poor guy was very embarrassed but we laughed about it together.

Many of the comments in this thread reflect a lot about modern society: “I” want “my right” to do what I want so everyone else must put up with it. It’s pitiful.

I travel a lot in my job, as do many other people. Many people in flights are on different time zones. So for one person they may be up all of that day flight... many others are not. If you don’t like a carrier that puts the shades down/dims the windows on a day forget... use a different carrier. Or fly on a private jet.

I suspect a lot of the “it’s my window, I paid for it, I’ll damn well control it myself, not the CC” are the same lot who think people should be shot for any other kind of disagreement with the CC.

WayexTDI

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:06 pm

Checklist787 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Checklist787 wrote:

Except there are some who say the opposite... :duck:

So, let's make it simple as it appears you have comprehension issues:
- some customers (a good chunk of them?): hate the 787 dimmable windows as the crew can lock the PAX out of their control;
- Colonia: "It is horrible (at least the way Boeing has installed it on the 787)";
- you: what's so horrible? Look, the manufacturer says the FA can centrally control them.

Do you see the flaw in your argumentation?

In truth it is that even if some crews (not all of them, is not true) obscure the windows beacause many passengers appreciate

they do not want daylight for wtch movies for exemple

And your argument actually doesn't help 70-80% of the passengers.

You are just trying to split the wave with a sword. Good luck with that.

Case closed..

Did you even read the number of posts in this very thread that hate the fact the crew lock the passenger out of being able to brighten the window?

Thing is, this override feature appear to be a very polarizing one; and to say that "it must be good since Boeing is adding it to the 777X" brings nothing to the debate.
Some passengers hate it with a passion, you seem to think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Good for you, you appear to be in a minority.

End of discussion.

Noshow

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:09 pm

If you don’t like a carrier that puts the shades down/dims the windows on a day forget... use a different carrier. Or fly on a private jet.

It's funny that you demand darkness during the day as your right but refuse to accept the natural level of brightness to others. A bit like everybody has to eat veggie style just because some people prefer it and similar modern world experiences where minorities try to reign over majorities.

chimborazo

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:12 pm

Further Skipness, I do take your point about if the lights not shining in etc. Sure fine. Can 78 windows be set one side dark, one medium etc? That’d work. But then it’s more for CC to deal with and we all know how “busy” they are on many flights ( the ones where even I with my ear plugs and noise cancel over the top have to nip to the galley an politely ask them to tone it down) :-)

chimborazo

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Noshow wrote:
If you don’t like a carrier that puts the shades down/dims the windows on a day forget... use a different carrier. Or fly on a private jet.

It's funny that you demand darkness during the day as your right but refuse to accept the natural level of brightness to others. A bit like everybody has to eat veggie style just because some people prefer it and similar modern world experiences where minorities try to reign over majorities.

I demand nothing except not having the sun on me/my screen/ flitting around the cabin. Other than that, speak to the airline about their policy. I don’t set it.

Flip side: BA and QR and various others enforce shades open on take off and landing. That can be genuinely uncomfortable in a window seat with sun blazing in. Should the “my window, my control” person be able to shut it then...?

Checklist787

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:53 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Checklist787 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
So, let's make it simple as it appears you have comprehension issues:
- some customers (a good chunk of them?): hate the 787 dimmable windows as the crew can lock the PAX out of their control;
- Colonia: "It is horrible (at least the way Boeing has installed it on the 787)";
- you: what's so horrible? Look, the manufacturer says the FA can centrally control them.

Do you see the flaw in your argumentation?

In truth it is that even if some crews (not all of them, is not true) obscure the windows beacause many passengers appreciate

Case closed..

Thing is, this override feature appear to be a very polarizing one; and to say that "it must be good since Boeing is adding it to the 777X" brings nothing to the debate.

End of discussion.

This brings to the debate since Gentex can make them today opaque at 99.9999%.

For some people they were not opaque enough...

They are therefore more opaque and there were several improvements from the 787, to the 777-X in this context (and the A350!) ...

Case closed...
Do it! "...

WayexTDI

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:16 pm

chimborazo wrote:
Noshow wrote:

I demand nothing except not having the sun on me/my screen/ flitting around the cabin. Other than that, speak to the airline about their policy. I don’t set it.

Flip side: BA and QR and various others enforce shades open on take off and landing. That can be genuinely uncomfortable in a window seat with sun blazing in. Should the “my window, my control” person be able to shut it then...?

Aren't some Aviation Authorities mandating the shades to be open in the TTL phase? In this case, they override the companies policies, and even more the personal preference.

WayexTDI

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Checklist787 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Checklist787 wrote:

Case closed..

End of discussion.

This brings to the debate since Gentex can make them today opaque at 99.9999%.

For some people they were not opaque enough...

They are therefore more opaque and there were several improvements from the 787, to the 777-X in this context (and the A350!) ...

Case closed...

Geez dude, have you even read the thread? Or were you just offended as someone criticized a 787-only (so far) feature?

The complain was not about the fact that they weren't opaque enough; the complain was about the fact that some cabin crews (or some companies altogether) do lock the passengers out of adjusting the brightness of the dimmable windows.
Stay on topic a bit.

End of discussion.

TObound

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm

fun2fly wrote:
It's one of the things I treasure on a 787. Just of an AC 788 and it's great. Darkened windows allow me to still see outside vs. those mechanical shades, not to mention the inevitable one that doesn't stay up.

Yep. Don't get the complaints (from a pax/user perspective). It's a substantial improvement on flooding the cabin with sunlight just because you want to look outside.

pune

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:08 pm

scbriml wrote:

any citation one way or the other is going to be biased and also reek of majoritism one way or the other. Neither are all flights same, people same or moods same. For e.g. If I'm fresh, baby-faced for the flight I may be enthused but if I'm on a layover and the layover isn't good would be just going through motions . In the end, too many dynamics which make us the way it is. Many a times I don't wanna be sleeping although do know the FA's wanna make us sleep, while at other times, can't wait to be sleep, so it all depends.

Checklist787

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 pm

sergegva wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:
I love the dimmable windows on the 787. It’s a great compromise between being able to see outside and being respectful to those in the cabin who want to sleep. You can still see outside pretty decently, and the seat mates get to sleep. Better than the alternative which would be the crew asking everyone to have their window shades shut completely preventing someone from being able to see out the window.

It is not a great compromise at all. You can barely see the landscape when it's dimmmed at the maximum. 50% dimmed, maybe.
A great compromise would be airlines giving eyeshades to pax who want to sleep.
I will happily buy eyeshades to my fellow seat mate if he wants to sleep. But if a dimmable window makes me miss the Himalaya or the Altaïr mountain in a magic light, like during my last HKG-AMS, I will loudly complain during the whole flight (and after).

I never understood why some people think it's ok to bother your neighboor with your reading light or your screen, watching a blockbuster, while watching outside is an offense?? And I am not talking of 5h nonstop with direct sunlight right into the cabin. When the light is strong there are ways to watch carefully.

I don't understand
You complain that you cannot watch the Himalaya and you complain about 5 hours of flight with light in the cabin. What exactly do you want?

In all transport, it's all about compromise...
Do it! "...

YYZatcboy

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:20 pm

My issue with the 787 shades is how HOT they get, along with much of the surrounding side wall. It can be almost scalding if you are on the sunny side of the airplane. No good for sleep either since the wall is too hot to lean against.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

sergegva

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 pm

Checklist787 wrote:
I don't understand
You complain that you cannot watch the Himalaya and you complain about 5 hours of flight with light in the cabin. What exactly do you want?
In all transport, it's all about compromise...

Perhaps I expressed myself poorly. What I meant to say was that wanting to look at the landscape reasonably by raising one's window shade does not imply that the entire cabin is flooded with light for several hours at a time, as the sleep gurus would have us believe.

JannEejit

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:53 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Only A.netters would get their knickers in a knot over airplane windows that dim without their consent because how dare anyone take away their god given right to look through them at the expense of everyone else's rest...
:rotfl:

Fortunately, no one else gives much of a damn.

Worse are the window seat dwellers when you're stuck in a middle seat who decide it's their god given right to keep the blind closed from take off to landing whilst they ignore the view, or sleep. In that respect a cabin crew override would be welcome.

chimborazo

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:38 am

JannEejit wrote:
Francoflier wrote:
Only A.netters would get their knickers in a knot over airplane windows that dim without their consent because how dare anyone take away their god given right to look through them at the expense of everyone else's rest...
:rotfl:

Fortunately, no one else gives much of a damn.

Worse are the window seat dwellers when you're stuck in a middle seat who decide it's their god given right to keep the blind closed from take off to landing whilst they ignore the view, or sleep. In that respect a cabin crew override would be welcome.

Maybe they are on a last minute booked flight to go see a sick relative and ended up in the middle seat and haven’t slept for a long time. You just don’t know what people’s situation is.... horses and courses.

I spend a lot of time on planes (as a passenger unfortunately, not enough flying myself as I would want) and always sit at the back of the cabin where possible - away from the screaming babies and so I don’t get my seat kicked. I like to observe what’s going on and anecdotally find that most folks just aren’t interested in looking out the window. Too busy with IFE/tablet etc. A-net is different because people here are aviation enthusiasts: it doesn’t represent the average traveller who just wants to get from A to B sometimes via C cheaply and quickly. I go back to my earlier point: if folk want a guaranteed view then go on a private jet. Or get together a group and charter a plane.

Question: if you’ve paid to select a window seat does that give you more authority over the window control than someone on the aisle? What about if someone has paid for an aisle and middle seat for a pair and you end up in a window seat by chance that you’ve not paid for? Does that give them more authority on the window control?

Or do we need to accept that flying is a collection of the public temporarily trapped inside a metal or plastic sardine can and that we should be mindful that there are other people on the plane and not just do what suits only one person?

tigerzhong13

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 am

Some Chinese airlines lock it to the brightest level throughout the flight. It's a torture.

bennett123

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:33 am

If you want to look outside, rather than watch a movie or sleep, go on a private jet.

Given that this is not a real option for most people, what you mean is STFU.

seb76

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:25 am

Many people seem to have a very sharp opinion on whether it's good or bad for their body to sleep or not on a certain daily flight but I think they are too quickly considering that what applies to them is good for everybody.
Myself, I tried and succeeded to stay awake on night flights or sleep on day flights knowing where/when the rest of my journey would bring me. Many seem to assume that the other people they travel with follow the same routing. But some people are on their way home, some on the way out, and some may have another (or several) connecting flights leading them to different time zone after the current flight.

zkncj

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:45 am

At least Boeing and Airbus aren’t currently offering an option to delete the passenger windows and have them plugged! Would imagine that Ryan Air would be all over that, replacing the windows slots with LED screens displaying adds...

Some airlines don’t lock the windows the windows, I just experienced that on an Scoot 789 this morning when the sun came up at 4am blearing into the cabin.

bennett123

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Don’t give MOL ideas.

Rara

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:51 pm

trad01 wrote:
I fly Hainan from China from time to time on their 787s. In December coming into LAX from China was the first time that the windows were locked in the dimmed position for the entire flight. It didn't bother me much as I wanted to sleep, but we landed with the windows dimmed at about 5pm.

Is this not a violation to landing procedures? (return your seat to the upright position, stow your table tray and open your window)

On most airlines, they want the shades open for departure and landing so that the cabin doesn't go completely dark if there's an emergency, and also for the passengers to have some degree of orientation to the outside world.

Then again, last time I flew Hainan they served breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast, so go figure.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Erebus

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:10 pm

zkncj wrote:
At least Boeing and Airbus aren’t currently offering an option to delete the passenger windows and have them plugged! Would imagine that Ryan Air would be all over that, replacing the windows slots with LED screens displaying adds...

LED technology is advancing!The dimmable windows apparently work in a similar manner to conventional LCDs where applying current through the gel renders the crystals opaque. This is the first step. Maybe in the future, there will be fully functioning transparent LCD screen windows!

Edit: I probably should say LCDs?

WayexTDI

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:18 pm

Erebus wrote:
zkncj wrote:

LED technology is advancing!The dimmable windows apparently work in a similar manner to conventional LCDs where applying current through the gel renders the crystals opaque. This is the first step. Maybe in the future, there will be fully functioning transparent LCD screen windows!

I think you missed the jab: if they could, Ryanair would order windowless planes (less maintenance, less weight) and "offer" passengers outside views using cameras and LED (or other tech) screens, and those screens would also display advertisement (since it's Ryanair).

Erebus

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:35 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Erebus wrote:
zkncj wrote:

I think you missed the jab: if they could, Ryanair would order windowless planes (less maintenance, less weight) and "offer" passengers outside views using cameras and LED (or other tech) screens, and those screens would also display advertisement (since it's Ryanair).

Oh, I got what he said.

The tech I was alluding to is like a normal see-through LCD window with the ability to display ads, without the need for actually deleting the windows.

Noshow

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:35 pm

I'd say Ryanair will certainly keep the old window blinds that are cheap to order and maintain. As they resell their aircraft young they prefer any "mainstream" configuration available. This is why the -fun- idea of no windows wouldn't make sense to them even if available.

WA707atMSP

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:53 pm

I'm a staunch opponent of dimmable window shades, because I enjoy being able to look out the window, and don't like having my viewing controlled by others.

However, I think within ten years, advances in virtual reality will render the controversy moot.

Once VR headsets become common, I think airlines will offer passengers the option to see the terrain the aircraft is passing over through a VR headset. This will give people who aren't in window sets the option to enjoy the view if they wish. If everyone is viewing IFE on their VR headsets, or choosing to sleep with their VR headsets on, the "light vs dark cabin" controversy will also be a thing of the past.

SQ22

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Thread went off topic and will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos