Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CRJ5000
Topic Author

Spirit Airlines announces flights to Barranquilla and Bucaramanga, Colombia

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Spirit has just announced service from FLL to BAQ (Barranquilla) and BUC (Bucaramanga) Colombia. Service starts 4/22. That makes 7 destinations in Colombia for the airline. Pretty impressive.

santi319

Spirit announces Barranquilla and Bucaramanga from FLL

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:46 pm

They are now the US airline with the most Colombian destinations.

Spirit Airlines will add two more cities in Colombia to its route map in April, giving it the most destinations in the South American country of any U.S. carrier.

The South Florida-based discounter will add service between its Fort Lauderdale (FLL) base and Barranquilla (BAQ) on April 23, and Bucaramanga (BGA) on April 22, Spirit said Tuesday. Both routes will operate thrice-weekly on Airbus A320 family aircraft.

With the additions Spirit will serve seven cities in Colombia: Armenia (AXM), Barranquilla, Bogota (BOG), Bucaramanga, Cali (CLO), Cartagena (CTG), and Medellin (MDE). By comparison, American Airlines serves six cities in the country, and JetBlue Airways three cities, according to Cirium schedules

https://thepointsguy.com/news/spirit-airlines-colombia-barranquilla-bucaramanga/

juan885

Re: Spirit announces Barranquilla and Bucaramanga from FLL

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:16 pm

What a great surprise! Finally a direct link to BGA. The last time BGA had a flight to FLL was on 4C with a stop in CTG back in 2010

pipeafcr

Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:23 pm

BGA is a surprise but a welcomed one. If AXM worked im sure bga will too
Felipe Carrillo

tphuang

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Is there that much demand to Colombia?

DCA350

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm

Disappointed in B6 for not being more aggressive in Colombia, huge market but they have been stagnant.. Spirit is seizing the opportunity, kudos to them.

dfw88

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:13 pm

In a the-MAX's-are-flying world I would expect a response from AA out of MIA, but in the current, grounded world I'm not so sure.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:18 pm

tphuang wrote:

From south Florida and the New York/New Jersey area yes. Perhaps not for the rest of the country. These routes are O&D VFR focused.

juan885

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:28 pm

tphuang wrote:

FL to Colombia is large in volume, perhaps not yield outside of BOG. AA flies to 6 cities from MIA and AV about 5
Last edited by juan885 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juan885

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:31 pm

DCA350 wrote:
Disappointed in B6 for not being more aggressive in Colombia, huge market but they have been stagnant.. Spirit is seizing the opportunity, kudos to them.

Agreed. B6 was close to start CLO from FLL but the plans fizzled out and now even BOG is seasonal from MCO....

tphuang

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:40 pm

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
tphuang wrote:

From south Florida and the New York/New Jersey area yes. Perhaps not for the rest of the country. These routes are O&D VFR focused.

Well at least from NYC (when I looked a while back), it's around the same as Guyana and Haiti back in 2011. https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning/do ... apter5.pdf
JFK-BOG is so over-served that AV always comes up in my searches as the cheapest R/T J tickets to Europe!!!!!

Although according to wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombian_Americans, the NYC/NJ Colombian population seems a lot bigger than Guyana and Haiti. Weird.

Is the South Florida Colombian population so large to support flights to 7 different cities? I'd imagine there has to be some leisure stuff right? At least JFK-CTG is more of a leisure flight than VFR flight.

DCA350 wrote:

The B6 focus has shifted from FLL in the past few years. The new stations they are adding are based on the largest VFR markets from JFK like GYE, GEO and highly rumoured GUA.

juan885

Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:59 pm

tphuang wrote:
Is the South Florida Colombian population so large to support flights to 7 different cities? I'd imagine there has to be some leisure stuff right? At least JFK-CTG is more of a leisure flight than VFR flight.

I believe there is. PEI and AXM have some proportion of tourism draw from the nearby coffee region and ecotourism areas. There's also a lot of Colombians visiting SoFL to consider.
Overall, Colombia has strong ties to the US and it's easily served by narrowbodies to justify the level of flights.

UALFAson

Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:27 pm

tphuang wrote:

You obviously have access to more data than my anecdotal experiences and I know you're talking more about secondary Colombian cities, but it doesn't surprise me that there is this much demand, at least for now. The major U.S.-based travel publications frequently profile Colombia--it's a mix of an undiscovered country for most Americans that is now relatively safe after the drug violence of the 80s has died down, plus a way to experience Latin culture without having to go to deep South America. It's only 4-ish hours from ATL and 2.5 from MIA/FLL, so long weekends there are possible. Several of my Nashville co-workers have been to the country on vacation and raved about it.

I am assuming Spirit sells connections via FLL, especially to the major business and tourist destinations?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

pipeafcr

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:01 pm

BGA is also relatively close to the Venezuelan border and may even be used by Venezuelans unable to find flights to/from their country
Felipe Carrillo

Summa767

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:30 pm

It's good to see these 2 additions, particularly BGA, which sees its first link to the US.
BAQ was previously tried by Spirit, but it was not so much the bad schedule as a ridiculous airport charge (something like 95 US$ on every international ticket) that was negotiated as part of a concession by an incompetent government, and thankfully made away by the previous administration, that is also ensuring a much needed terminal update.

it would be good to see expansion on the Colombian market by JetBlue. It would be good to see JFK-MDE. I expect that we will also see increases on the MDE-MCO sooner rather than later.

2travel2know2

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:40 pm

It'll be no surprise that NK would open CUC after the 1st numbers for BGA O/D start coming out.
CUC is on the Venezuelan border and an slightly different market than BGA.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos