Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Alias1024
Topic Author

Delta CES 2020 Keynote Address

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 pm

This morning Delta CEO Ed Bastian gave a keynote presentation at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The presentation gave a glimpse into Delta’s vision for the passenger experience of the future, and what they’ve been doing to leverage technology and make that vision a reality. It’s a long address but has some interesting ideas, especially “parallel reality” displays.

Bastian takes the stage around the 34:00 mark.

https://live.ces.tech/detail/videos/fea ... ry-address
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

gatibosgru

Re: Delta CES 2020 Keynote Address

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:34 pm

Very cool, thanks for posting! We'll see how well the virtual queue will work, people already seem clueless when boarding announcements are shouted at them.
@DadCelo

fanoftristars

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:58 am

Very cool technologies. Would love the bluetooth headphone compatibility and all the app integrations!
"FLY DELTA JETS"

IPFreely

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:12 am

Any comments on past CES announcements? I believe Ed said free wifi on all Delta planes/flights was coming soon at CES a couple of years ago.

dstblj52

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:14 am

IPFreely wrote:
Any comments on past CES announcements? I believe Ed said free wifi on all Delta planes/flights was coming soon at CES a couple of years ago.

I thought and from what I have seen Ed said their working on making wifi free of charge, but are limited on a cost and capacity thing, he said that they are a few years away from it yet, and they are rolling out some free limited internet, IE free texting and delta.com, delta app, and delta net.

JAMBOJET

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:02 pm

TPG did a nice review of it from a half-full perspective: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-air ... las-vegas/

Followed by the normal Gary Leff half-empty style: https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-ceo-e ... he-reveal/
Both were interesting takes

IPFreely

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 pm

JAMBOJET wrote:
TPG did a nice review of it from a half-full perspective: https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-air ... las-vegas/

Followed by the normal Gary Leff half-empty style: https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-ceo-e ... -he-reveal

Both are actually accurate. The tech that Delta talks about is always highly impressive to the point of being overwhelming. The tech that Delta actually implements is always underwhelming and lags their competitors, as the article mentions.

flyingcat

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Parallel reality is very intriguing, families could all watch one large TV and all be enjoying different programs. TV manufacturers will love it because it's another excuse to buy new displays. Although one wonders what people will be playing if they now have a much more fool proof way to ensure only they will see the display.

The more nefarious applications remind me of "They Live" imagine billboards programmed to specifically address you. Someone could conceivably send messages only to you that others cannot see.

LawAndOrder

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm

IPFreely wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

Followed by the normal Gary Leff half-empty style: https://viewfromthewing.com/delta-ceo-e ... -he-reveal

Both are actually accurate. The tech that Delta talks about is always highly impressive to the point of being overwhelming. The tech that Delta actually implements is always underwhelming and lags their competitors, as the article mentions.

In what way do they lag their competitors with technology? No other airline in the US give real time boarding group notifications. Hell American just got regular boarding notifications.

LawAndOrder

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 pm

You all are missing the point his talk was on the future of air travel as Delta sees it. It set a North Star for what the organization is and should be working on. No one knows how far along they are in any of the fronts and I think that was intentional.

The video was aspirational yet had no details. I can ensure you they are well along the way in a lot of the presented. It would have been easy for them to just ship every piece of technology and new idea and place it in a booth (that they are working on). New seats, new podiums, new blah blah But that would have been expected for an airline and can also be seen at every employee event.

fanoftristars

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:09 pm

IPFreely wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

I'm curious the ways in which Delta lags their competitors in technology? I can think of some key technological items that DL was first on and some still exclusive to Delta or that their closest competitors can't match, for instance, now over 80% of Delta's fleet has AVOD. Most of delta's fleet has 2ku satellite wifi. Push notifications from the app tell you when the flight is boarding, when your bag is on the plane, when your bag is hitting the carousel, etc. I fly Delta, Southwest and AA. I find that Delta's systems and technology are superior to Southwest by a long shot, and mostly superior to AA, and this drives a superior operation to WN/AA with baggage handling, on-time performance, involuntary denied boarding, cancellations, turbulence avoidance, passenger experience, catering, and on and on.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

bkflyguy

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:32 pm

fanoftristars wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
JAMBOJET wrote:

I'm curious the ways in which Delta lags their competitors in technology? I can think of some key technological items that DL was first on and some still exclusive to Delta or that their closest competitors can't match, for instance, now over 80% of Delta's fleet has AVOD. Most of delta's fleet has 2ku satellite wifi. Push notifications from the app tell you when the flight is boarding, when your bag is on the plane, when your bag is hitting the carousel, etc. I fly Delta, Southwest and AA. I find that Delta's systems and technology are superior to Southwest by a long shot, and mostly superior to AA, and this drives a superior operation to WN/AA with baggage handling, on-time performance, involuntary denied boarding, cancellations, turbulence avoidance, passenger experience, catering, and on and on.

DL's app is far superior to AA's. Just yesterday I was flying AA through ORD. The app told me my connection was at H17, then I received a notification telling me H11. The actual gate (for which I received no notification?) H9.

Alias1024
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:41 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
Very cool, thanks for posting! We'll see how well the virtual queue will work, people already seem clueless when boarding announcements are shouted at them.

I don't doubt Delta's ability to push individual boarding group announcements through the app. I doubt passenger's willingness to stay seated until their group is boarding. Most of those people hovering around near the boarding area are doing so because they want to ensure they have space for their carry on bags, preferably right near their seat. That's not going to change because their phone announces the individual boarding group.

What will be an improvement though is that too often there are competing announcements from different gates and the general airport public address system. Passengers don't hear the announcement and either cannot see the boarding display or are at an airport that does not have the displays, and don't know what group is boarding. With virtual queue, if they have their phone out and their travel plans linked to the app they'll know what group is boarding. Not a big benefit, but a benefit none the less.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

IPFreely

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:46 am

fanoftristars wrote:

United's website, specifically ability to search across dates and by miles is light years ahead of Delta (not to mention value of miles).

United's app is light years ahead of Delta's. Real-time notification of boarding, gate changes, bag status (load/unload/etc.). And instant display of options and online rebooking via the app in event of a delay.

United's inflight entertainment with streaming to personal devices is light years ahead of Delta's AVOD on all planes (that still hasn't happened and will be obsolete by the time it's finished, if it ever is).

When it comes to technology Delta wins in promises made (e.g. free wifi on all flights). United, Alaska, and others win in actually delivering technology of value.

NWAESC

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:32 pm

The technology DL put on display is certainly novel, but I can't help but notice that when distilled down, it basically eliminates any face-to-face interaction at all. I'm totally aware that it's 2020, but I can't help but feel a little sad about that.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

invertir

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:56 pm

IPFreely wrote:
fanoftristars wrote:

United's website, specifically ability to search across dates and by miles is light years ahead of Delta (not to mention value of miles).

United's app is light years ahead of Delta's. Real-time notification of boarding, gate changes, bag status (load/unload/etc.). And instant display of options and online rebooking via the app in event of a delay.

United's inflight entertainment with streaming to personal devices is light years ahead of Delta's AVOD on all planes (that still hasn't happened and will be obsolete by the time it's finished, if it ever is).

When it comes to technology Delta wins in promises made (e.g. free wifi on all flights). United, Alaska, and others win in actually delivering technology of value.

I work in airline technology, and everything you’ve mentioned sans the search by mile amount on airline.com was launched by Delta before United. As an example, specifically, Delta launched RFID bag tags and RebookMe (automated rebooking engine via API) 2 years before United.

invertir

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Example... bag tracking. Delta was spring of 2016. United was winter of 2017.

https://news.delta.com/delta-introduces ... -process-0
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united- ... g-app.html

ethernal

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:48 pm

IPFreely wrote:
fanoftristars wrote:

I'm a little confused as all of the things that you listed are done by Delta as well except for the first. I believe that United technically beat Delta to personal device streaming from a launch perspective, but Delta had it deployed to its whole fleet very quickly whereas United didn't finish that deployment until late 2016.

On the search, I completely agree. That said, I imagine that is a revenue management decision more than it is a technology piece. Delta doesn't want you to find good value for miles - including on partners. They want you to blow 600K SkyMiles for a business class seat, not 160K. Same reason why they refuse to publish or make visible upgrade space. They could, but they don't want to. It's incredibly frustrating.

If you want to highlight where United is superior on the tech front, how about the fact that you can actually do a same-day change effectively via the app? The fact that I have to call in to Delta is pathetic. United has had this for 5+ years. You can now do it via the website, but it is clunky and non-intuitive, plus half the time it doesn't work for me anyways. Same thing with calling in to apply upgrade certificates. Those are legitimate instances where Delta just needs to get it together.

capejet

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:05 am

Did any other airline speak at this convention? I am amazed at how DL has put so much emphasis on attracting high yield traffic at the high tech cities in the US that were formerly dominated by AA (RDU, BOS, SJC, AUS, BNA). Has DL surpassed AA in traffic at all of these cities?

admanager

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:18 am

invertir wrote:
Example... bag tracking. Delta was spring of 2016. United was winter of 2017.

https://news.delta.com/delta-introduces ... -process-0
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united- ... g-app.html

Alaska app bag tracking...still waiting.

LawAndOrder

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:27 am

IPFreely wrote:
fanoftristars wrote:

United app isn’t better. They focused on something while DL focused on others. Every airline (big three) has real time boarding notification. Delta took it to the next step by having real time boarding group/zone. Something that United has on the road map but has not delivered. Majority of United media day was to preemptively announce what they knew Delta was working on besides the crj 550.

For instance United has a uber link embedded into their app but it’s simply a interface for uber app and does not connect to your flight information.

alasizon

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:45 am

capejet wrote:
Did any other airline speak at this convention? I am amazed at how DL has put so much emphasis on attracting high yield traffic at the high tech cities in the US that were formerly dominated by AA (RDU, BOS, SJC, AUS, BNA). Has DL surpassed AA in traffic at all of these cities?

No other airline has had the plans to speak and realistically, airlines don't need to speak at CES.

As far as the high tech cities, AA still surpasses DL at AUS by a big margin. BNA and RDU are about even with DL just this year starting to pull ahead.

Every airline has tech on the horizon. Yes, DL has RFID bag tags but AA chose to leapfrog that tech and is working on full bag imaging, does that mean DL is ahead of AA because they rolled out RFID while AA hasnt rolled out their new solution? Who knows. Each airline makes the choice it feels is best for it when it comes to any given technology and there is no one path fits all. I personally find boarding notifications beyond the initial one to be useless and not required when there is no improvement in the number of people crowding a boarding lane.

I'd much rather see airlines invest in technology to help customer service agents identify alternative routings, alternative airports, etc. when rebooking passengers or technology to help the fleet service folks with better practices to reduce damaged bags and wasted supplies. Yes, it isn't as pretty on the front end but service recovery is more important than all else.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

FlyHPN

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm

Forgive this question if it's daft, but is it normal to refer to Airbus models without the preceding "A" as Ed does ("Airbus 350" and "Airbus 330-900")?

QF744

Full video of Delta CEO Ed Bastian's keynote speech at CES 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Here is a full video of Delta CEO Ed Bastian's opening keynote speech at CES 2020 in Las Vegas.

https://wayfarer.travel/wayfarer-tv-del ... -ces-2020/

There are a lot of interesting initiatives that Bastian has unveiled... what does everyone think of the airline's concepts?
OVER 150 FLIGHTS PER YEAR.

LHUSA

Re: Full video of Delta CEO Ed Bastian's keynote speech at CES 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Another thread in this?

AaronPGH

Re: Full video of Delta CEO Ed Bastian's keynote speech at CES 2020

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 pm

This all feels like a giant paid PR stunt, honestly. Every airline's future technology team is probably researching the same things. The whole point of this seems like it was just to get a big flashy Delta ad in front of the tech industry. Pretty smart, honestly. But as for actual substance, I doubt Delta is any further ahead than anyone use. UA's app already has baby steps towards some of these things embedded in it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos