Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ibthebigd
Topic Author

Routes America's 2020

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 pm

With Routes America's 2020 coming up I figured there should be a thread on it.

With Indianapolis hosting Routes America's I'm hoping an announcement of a new flight or airline will happen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zackary747

Re: Routes America's 2020

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:24 pm

Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)

Ishrion

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:53 pm

Are new routes actually announced at these events? What routes were announced last year at Quebec?

zackary747

Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:54 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Are new routes actually announced at these events? What routes were announced last year at Quebec?

I heard that the host city usually gets something announced. I think Air Canada announced 2 routes last year in Quebec City.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicknuzzii

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:47 am

Embarrassing that PHL isn’t going...

bravotango75

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:18 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Ditto, appears that BOS will be a "no-show" either, sad... :(

MAH4546

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 am

Ishrion wrote:

No, routes aren't announced at these events.
a.

jbpdx

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:28 am

Conspicuously missing: PDX and SEA. A tale of two cities: one doesn’t need to solicit anything new, for the other these conferences are futile.
^

Thenoflyzone

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:11 am

zackary747 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I heard that the host city usually gets something announced. I think Air Canada announced 2 routes last year in Quebec City.

1. Quebec City hosted Routes America last February. No new routes were announced during the show. AC announced winter seasonal flights to PUJ and CUN in July 2019, so several months later. So the two are unrelated.

2. PUJ and CUN were already served from YQB with TS and WG. So it was nothing ground breaking. AC is the third carrier on both routes.

I expect a similar non-groundbreaking non-announcement at IND this year. Just because you’re the host of one of these things doesn’t mean you get a new route. If IND does get a new route announcement at the show, it’s because that airline has done its homework for several months now and is simply taking advantage of the show to announce it.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:34 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

1. Quebec City hosted Routes America last February. No new routes were announced during the show. AC announced winter seasonal flights to PUJ and CUN in July 2019, so several months later. So the two are unrelated.

2. PUJ and CUN were already served from YQB with TS and WG. So it was nothing ground breaking. AC is the third carrier on both routes.

I expect a similar non-groundbreaking non-announcement at IND this year. Just because you’re the host of one of these things doesn’t mean you get a new route. If IND does get a new route announcement at the show, it’s because that airline has done its homework for several months now and is simply taking advantage of the show to announce it.

Jetlines announced they would serve YQB in the future at Routes 2019, https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... s-success/

Year before AM announced that they would be increasing service to UIO

Regardless, the event is a month away....so this discussion is a bit premature.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Acey559

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:57 am

Curious to see Moxy (or whatever it will be called) on the list. I wonder who will be there to represent them and what if any info they will divulge.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

stlgph

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:56 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:
zackary747 wrote:

Jetlines announced they would serve YQB in the future at Routes 2019, https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... s-success/

????

Premature?

You've been posting since this conference was announced about all the things that'll happen for Indianapolis because of this conference.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 pm

stlgph wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

????

Premature?

You've been posting since this conference was announced about all the things that'll happen for Indianapolis because of this conference.

1. I meant premature for its own thread, most threads about events/announcements are usually made at most a week before the event. It makes sense to post in the IND thread since, it is more relevant to IND at this point since the speakers/attendees aren't finalized yet.
2. I went back through all my posts, and I didn't say anything special would happen to IND due to this conference. I either quoted someone saying that, or I mentioned it as a possibility. Even if I did there are studies showing that hosting this event leads to "host organisations being able to increase their connectivity by over 20% more than their comparators."
https://www.routesonline.com/content/future-hosting/

jasoncrh

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 pm

America’s doesn’t need an ‘. That makes it possessive. Which makes no sense. If you look at the actual title of the event, it’s Routes Americas, not America’s. There is a difference.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:36 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Canada Jetlines is a joke. They've been trying to launch their business for the last 7 years now, and have so far been unsuccessful. Them saying they want to start flights to YQB is just a gimmick to try and get money from investors. It hasn’t worked. They’re broke.

https://biv.com/article/2019/12/funding ... a-jetlines

I was talking about real airlines making real announcements.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

PHLspecial

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:14 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

And we wonder why PHL doesn't get more carriers.

MIflyer12

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:31 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Do you think anybody operating a real airline is unaware of PHL and its passenger numbers? Representatives from 4th rate airports desperate to give away subsidy money need to attend these things. This is a grand waste of public money - since U.S. airports are overwhelmingly publicly-owned not-for-profits.

iFlyDTW

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Appears Detroit isn't attending either. These cities all do not have profiles which make it seem strange.

flymco753

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:57 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:
Appears Detroit isn't attending either. These cities all do not have profiles which make it seem strange.

I emailed the WCAA, they said that the list is wrong and have already requested their meetings. Some airports may not be showing up on the website that are actually attending.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

zackary747

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:39 pm

flymco753 wrote:
iFlyDTW wrote:

I emailed the WCAA, they said that the list is wrong and have already requested their meetings. Some airports may not be showing up on the website that are actually attending.

The list is still in the process of being updated.

SANFan

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:08 pm

I'm curious when and why this Routes convention became a thing of interest on A.net? It's simply a forum to get airlines and airports together to try to secure more air service for airports, probably mostly smaller ones. These get-togethers have been happening for years, right? Resulting service increases at various airports are generally not realized until quite a while later.

What can really be discussed or debated about an upcoming meet-and-greet such as this? Or other similar ones? Seems to me this is no different than a thread discussing one-on-one meetings between an airport's Route Development team and a particular airport Network Planning group, which we all know happen constantly. If there are positive results, we eventually find out; if not, as is usually the case, well, nothing happens. My take is that a convention of this sort simply saves the airport teams some money by being able to fly to one city somewhere in the world and meet with several cx at the same time. But what is there to discuss about this process?

I just don't get the point of this thread. But I certainly am not saying it should be locked or removed. I just don't see the reason for it.

Carry on...

bb

flymco753

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:33 pm

SANFan wrote:
I'm curious when and why this Routes convention became a thing of interest on A.net? It's simply a forum to get airlines and airports together to try to secure more air service for airports, probably mostly smaller ones. These get-togethers have been happening for years, right? Resulting service increases at various airports are generally not realized until quite a while later.

What can really be discussed or debated about an upcoming meet-and-greet such as this? Or other similar ones? Seems to me this is no different than a thread discussing one-on-one meetings between an airport's Route Development team and a particular airport Network Planning group, which we all know happen constantly. If there are positive results, we eventually find out; if not, as is usually the case, well, nothing happens. My take is that a convention of this sort simply saves the airport teams some money by being able to fly to one city somewhere in the world and meet with several cx at the same time. But what is there to discuss about this process?

I just don't get the point of this thread. But I certainly am not saying it should be locked or removed. I just don't see the reason for it.

Carry on...

bb
Kind of a place for wannabe/future network planners to have their own Routes but on a forum.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Canada Jetlines is a joke. They've been trying to launch their business for the last 7 years now, and have so far been unsuccessful. Them saying they want to start flights to YQB is just a gimmick to try and get money from investors. It hasn’t worked. They’re broke.

https://biv.com/article/2019/12/funding ... a-jetlines

I was talking about real airlines making real announcements.

Regardless of your thoughts on the airline itself, it doesn't mean that wasn't an announcement. I'll also point out that you ignored my part about AM and UIO as well

In 2019, AC & AM announced new routes, albeit not from YQB

In 2018, AM announced it would be increasing flights to UIO

Not really worth going back and forth on this though, we will see when the time comes, if anything is announced

SANFan wrote:

Carry on...

bb

Airlines give presentations to the media talking to about their route strategies, that's why most of the media outlets are there at least.

Don't disagree with the jist of what you are saying though

MIflyer12 wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Do you think anybody operating a real airline is unaware of PHL and its passenger numbers? Representatives from 4th rate airports desperate to give away subsidy money need to attend these things. This is a grand waste of public money - since U.S. airports are overwhelmingly publicly-owned not-for-profits.

I take it that if you are running a business you also won't have face-to-face meetings with prospective clients/customers?

zackary747

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:18 am

PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

PHL is now on the list.

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:32 pm

"We may have an announcement during this conference that will benefit the entire community, but I'll keep it to that, since I have been sworn to secrecy"
- Executive Director of IND

WN732

Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:54 pm

SANFan wrote:

Carry on...

bb

It's for people in places like Fresno or even San Bernardino (both are going) to look way too hard between the lines and run up all sorts of speculation because their airport and favorite airline are going to the same event.

FATFlyer

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:31 pm

WN732 wrote:
It's for people in places like Fresno or even San Bernardino (both are going) to look way too hard between the lines and run up all sorts of speculation because their airport and favorite airline are going to the same event.

Those of us who do know something don't put any speculation in to events like this. I consider it like speed dating.

I think it does allow airport managers around the country to be able to honestly respond and say "we have spoken with XX airlines about service to our airport". Keeps the politicians and general public happy with the answer.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

COSPN

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:40 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
"We may have an announcement during this conference that will benefit the entire community, but I'll keep it to that, since I have been sworn to secrecy"

Wow the new Southwest Terminal “secret” project..?. 100 flights a day

SANFan

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:34 pm

WN732 wrote:
SANFan wrote:

Carry on...

bb

Okay, that's as good an explanation as any. After all, this is A.net!

And I do hope IND gets some exciting airport news in the not-too-distant future but I can't imagine it will be in any way related to the upcoming conference other than deliberate timing of some sort of announcement...

bb

zackary747

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Is there a link that you copied and pasted that quote from?

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:13 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It was from the Friday board meeting, skip to the 36 minute mark
http://indianapolis.granicus.com/player ... ?view_id=3

cledaybuck

Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:32 pm

zackary747 wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/events/208/routes-americas-2020/attending-delegates/airlines/p2/?list_order=atoz#attendeeList

Here's the attendee list.

Looking at that list, I am now a fan of Sonoma County Airport.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

zackary747

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:38 am

Midwestindy wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

It was from the Friday board meeting, skip to the 36 minute mark
http://indianapolis.granicus.com/player ... ?view_id=3

Interesting. Even people on the board don't even know what it is.

ibthebigd
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 am

Any big news out of Routes Americas yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Midwestindy

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:12 am

zackary747

Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 am

IND airport will be on Facebook Live tomorrow 11 AM. #LetsFindThisOut.

airlineworker

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:24 am

UA not attending.

TWA772LR

Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:38 am

bravotango75 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Ditto, appears that BOS will be a "no-show" either, sad... :(

Houston is showing up. ;)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Iggy500

Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:06 am

[*]
Midwestindy wrote:

I think that B6 will finally add IND to its route map. With AA adding BOS-IND, and WN resuming that route this summer, I think B6 could do well in Indy.

Here’s my B6 IND wishlist:
BOS-IND
JFK-IND
MCO-IND
FLL-IND

What do you guys think? And what do you think the announcement will be about?

Midwestindy

Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:42 pm

B6 announced today at Routes that they plan to turn FLL into a connecting hub

flyby519

Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:29 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
B6 announced today at Routes that they plan to turn FLL into a connecting hub

Interesting, I'd assume they'd be connecting to S.America in FLL. Maybe with the LR/XLR they will go deeper south?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos