Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Arion640

Re: FAA suspends US carrier overflights over entire Gulf Region

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:41 am

To note, some BA flights diverted to Istanbul last night.

kevertje

Re: KLM routes over dangerous areas

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:02 am

CURQ400 wrote:
artflyer wrote:
A bit late isn't it? And what does it mean "over dangerous parts" in Iran ie they still overfly Iran?

Those are the OP’s words. The article simply states that they’ve stopped overflying Iran and Iraq.

In fact the news article changed this morning. First it states "parts of Iran" and now it states "whole Iraq and Iran".
They also say air france stopped flying over these countries and Lufthansa cancelled their Frankfurt-Teheran flights.

KFTG

Re: KLM routes over dangerous areas

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:11 am

MH17 was shot down, not MH16.

theaviator380

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:25 am

Looks like EK flights departing DXB/DWC avoiding Iranian air space. Just checked EK cargo flight to LHR departing DXB and going northerly over Iraq instead of Iran. EK162 to DUB might follow the same path...SIN-LHR SQ avoided Iranian space so as Etihad flight to LHR.

SQ22

Re: Airlines Suspending Overflights over entire Gulf Region Thread

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:28 am

I have updated the title and merged another thread into this thread. We do not need to have a single thread for every airlines suspending flights to and over Gulf Region.

720B

Ukraine International closes Tehran reservations from Jan 2020

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:38 am

Ukraine International closes Tehran reservations from Jan 2020; as per routes online

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -jan-2020/

Philippine747

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:43 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
incitatus wrote:
What happens to Qatar Airways if the Iranian airspace becomes unsafe? It appears that would make their European network impossible to serve.

Might have to make a fuel stop in Amman, Jordan.

Thing is... they're gonna have to cross Saudi airspace, which is impossible as a Qatari carrier.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

Polot

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 am

Philippine747 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
incitatus wrote:
What happens to Qatar Airways if the Iranian airspace becomes unsafe? It appears that would make their European network impossible to serve.

Thing is... they're gonna have to cross Saudi airspace, which is impossible as a Qatari carrier.

It depends, if Iraqi airspace is still safe they can go through Kuwait/Iraq. That is actually the route QR usually takes for their European routes. The issue is if Iraqi airspace is also deemed too unsafe along with Iran. Then the only way QR can currently operate is flying all their flights through Oman on the southern side of the Strait of Hormuz then swinging northward or southward around Iran/Saudi Arabia. Which would basically make anything westbound undoable or noncompetitive.

NonTechAvLover

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 am

Polot wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

It depends, if Iraqi airspace is still safe they can go through Kuwait/Iraq. That is actually the route QR usually takes for their European routes. The issue is if Iraqi airspace is also deemed too unsafe along with Iran. Then the only way QR can currently operate is flying all their flights through Oman on the southern side of the Strait of Hormuz then swinging northward or southward around Iran/Saudi Arabia. Which would basically make anything westbound undoable or noncompetitive.

How would they fly Istanbul-Doha?

Polot

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:03 pm

NonTechAvLover wrote:
Polot wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

How would they fly Istanbul-Doha?

Like I said, they would have to go East through Oman then swing North or South and go all the way around Iran/Iraq or Saudi Arabia and approach Turkey from the Northeast or South, entering Turkish airspace from the Mediterranean or Black Sea/Georgia/Armenia. Technically doable with their aircraft (available in fleet, not sure what is usually used on route), but it would not be competitive with TK who would be able to use Saudi airspace.

lawair

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:37 pm

vahancrazy wrote:
Sad story and a bit sad it is in civil aviation forum; no comments about politics.

As long as it is FAA only, ME3 carriers do not care and can overfly the area unless mil/jet take off, no?

Non-US carrier operations can be affected by the FAA NOTAM if their flights in the area carry a U.S. carrier code. DOT put out this notice back in 2015: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... 98-20-0690

They also took action against QR a few years ago:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsu ... 2016-11-10
Last edited by lawair on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boeing727

Re: Airlines Suspending Flights to and over entire or parts of Gulf Region Thread

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:38 pm

UPS76 not overflying Iraq anymore...it shows a more southerly route

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS76

Gonzalo

Re: Airlines Suspending Flights to and over entire or parts of Gulf Region Thread

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:45 pm

Considering the current geopolitical situation and the countless number of twisted minds with access to missile launchers in that part of the world, I would say that EVERY SINGLE AIRLINE with some survival instinct should avoid the airspace of several countries. I understand the cost related to a detour for every single flight in a heavy jet is massive, but is nothing compared to a jet downed with hundreds of deaths ala MH17. In the foreseeable future I think the route planners at the main airlines would have a very interesting job.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

Western727

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:10 pm

EK211 just crossed over Iran, maintaining its status quo. Puzzling, and as someone who will fly his family on EK211/212 (IAH-DXB-IAH) in March, this makes me nervous. Thoughts?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE211
Jack @ AUS

Varsity1

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:19 pm

Western727 wrote:
EK211 just crossed over Iran, maintaining its status quo. Puzzling, and as someone who will fly his family on EK211/212 (IAH-DXB-IAH) in March, this makes me nervous. Thoughts?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE211

As more facts come out, the reaction will change. I don't think EK will continue to use Iranian airspace, neither will Saudi Arabia or Kuwait.

steman

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Lufthansa´s LH758 FRA-MAA seems to be heading on a southerly route. It´s currently over Sinai, whereas in the past several days it used to fly over Turkey and northern Iran.

P1aneMad

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:26 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
Considering the current geopolitical situation and the countless number of twisted minds with access to missile launchers in that part of the world, I would say that EVERY SINGLE AIRLINE with some survival instinct should avoid the airspace of several countries. I understand the cost related to a detour for every single flight in a heavy jet is massive, but is nothing compared to a jet downed with hundreds of deaths ala MH17. In the foreseeable future I think the route planners at the main airlines would have a very interesting job.

+1000
If Russian yahoos managed to shoot down a Malaysian 777 thinking it was an enemy fighter or drone then Iranian yahoos are more than capable of the same feat.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Gonzalo wrote:

Easier said than done. With so many flashpoints usable airspace is getting narrower by the day in the region. It seems to be business as usual for ME3.
All posts are just opinions.

Clackers

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:46 pm

What power does Trump have to tell the US3 where to fly or not to fly?

I know safety is at risk, but let's be frank here, the airlines make these decisions for themselves, not be bullied by someone like Trump.

For all we know, Delta might continue to fly over the Gulf with no shootdowns... what's Trump gonna do about it? Try and revoke their aviation licence :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with him.
Last edited by Clackers on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Varsity1

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Clackers wrote:

I know safety is at risk, but let's be frank here, the airlines make these decisions for themselves, not be bullied by someone like Trump.

For all we know, Delta might continue to fly over the Gulf with no shootdowns... what's Trump gonna do about it? Try and revoke their aviation licence :rolleyes:

Trump hasn't said anything. The FAA issued a NOTAM banning flight in that region. They do it anytime it's unsafe to operate somewhere eg: ash cloud, natural disaster, Hurricane dorian, or when MH17 was shot down over Ukraine.

The FAA absolutely 100% can and DOES tell US certificate holders where they can fly.

dtw2hyd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:58 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

The FAA absolutely 100% can and DOES tell US certificate holders where they can fly.

What about N-regs on wet lease in the region. Do they have to follow FAA or local CAA?
All posts are just opinions.

adi00654

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:59 pm

panamair wrote:
Looks like today's DL025 BOM-JFK flew over Pakistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, and then the Polar route through Greenland. Don't know if they had to weight restrict or not as it was booked full but left with about two dozen empty seats.

It is the regular route which DL,UA Are taking usually.

ATLgaUSA

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:01 pm

Clackers wrote:

For all we know, Delta might continue to fly over the Gulf with no shootdowns... what's Trump gonna do about it? Try and revoke their aviation licence :rolleyes: It has nothing to do with him.

U.S. based airlines fall under the regulatory jurisdiction of the FAA, an agency whose primary purpose is to ensure the safety of the American aviation system. The FAA has unquestionable authority to ban U.S. flag carriers from operating in unsafe regions. If a U.S. based airline ignored a FAA ban, they would be subject to penalties from fines up to having their operating certificate revoked.

Clackers

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:01 pm

A flight I regularly take is SQ317 LHR-SIN. I have been taking this flight at least 2-3 times a year since 2011.

The flight paths have changed over the years due to political situations, but thought I would mention that SQ317 on 7 Jan 2020, flew south east through Germany, Austria, and then north of Turkish airspace, before south east again through Turkmenistan and Afghanistan, and then pretty much the usual route down to Singapore (via India and Bay of Bengal (woah, turbulence!) and then perpendicular to the west coast of Thailand as breakfast is warmed up in the galley).

Today - 8 Jan 2020 - SQ317 is flying north of Netherlands, north of Germany, north of Poland, and now into Russia (currently just past Moscow). I presume it will soon deviate south east and take a more usual route through the 'stans' of central Asia. But this Nordic detour in the first 4 hours is not something I would have predicted. Still, better be safe than sorry.

One of SQ's A380 return legs (SIN-LHR), namely SQ322 is basically a 14hr red eye, and it often flies north of Netherlands at the end of the flight (this is usually the first sign of daylight in the cabin btw). But the outbound flight from LHR never takes such a northern route in my personal experience.

readytotaxi

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:31 pm

Imagine airline insurers are going to have a big say in where they fly and at what cost.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

sonicruiser

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:32 pm

Seems like business as usual for all Middle East airlines. Busy day over the Persian Gulf. None of them are avoiding Iran and Iraq which I guess isn’t that surprising.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

airbazar

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:33 pm

SQ317 wrote:
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-could-add-singapore-stopover-to-perth-london-boeing-787-flight?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

QF9 badly affected - blocking 90 seats on PER-LHR to allow for a ~50 minute diversion across Afghanistan, may tech stop in SIN or HKG if the situation continues. Presumably they'll reroute non-PER pax onto SIN services as they have to stop anyway, but are there 90 free seats on QF1 SIN-LHR?

Seems a bit extreme. Maybe they're being overly cautious at this early stage until they have a better plan.
A routing over Oman, Saudi Arabia and Egypt would be almost identical in length to their normal route over the Gulf.
2 days ago (9,172mi)
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/QFA ... /YPPH/EGLL
A similar route "via" Cairo (~9,193mi)
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=per-sll-ca ... =wls&DU=mi
Does QF have a problem flying over Saudi Arabia?

acavpics

And once again the gulf carriers are at risk of a shutdown?

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:37 pm

In summer 2019, tensions between the US and Iran were escalating. This jeopardized the fate of the gulf carriers (Mainly the ME3). But fortunately, tensions seemed to settle down a short while later, allowing airlines to continue flying as they used to.

But now, tensions in the regions are clearly worse. Not only that, PS752 just crashed in Tehran. While the cause of the crash is not known yet, the possibility of an MH17 style shoot down has not been ruled out. This poses an extreme threat to the ME3, who use Iranian airspace for a vast majority of their operations. QR will not be able to fly anywhere if the airspace is closed, since it has already been banned from UAE, Saudi, and Bahraini airspace.

theaviator380

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:42 pm

It's baffling some most of the EK flights avoiding Iranian space but flight to Stockholm and Moscow went over Iranian space.

Western727

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:06 pm

theaviator380 wrote:
It's baffling some most of the EK flights avoiding Iranian space but flight to Stockholm and Moscow went over Iranian space.

Agreed. EK212 (IAH-DXB on a 380) just flew above eastern Iraq skirting Iranian airspace, BUT the sister flight, EK211, continued its trait of overflying Iran just a few hours ago on its way out. As a holder of 4 tickets for my family on a March trip on said flights to visit my sister and her expat family of 6 in the UAE, I'm concerned.
Jack @ AUS

theaviator380

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 pm

Western727 wrote:
theaviator380 wrote:

Agreed. EK212 (IAH-DXB on a 380) just flew above eastern Iraq skirting Iranian airspace, BUT the sister flight, EK211, continued its trait of overflying Iran just a few hours ago on its way out. As a holder of 4 tickets for my family on a March trip on said flights to visit my sister and her expat family of 6 in the UAE, I'm concerned.

I can understand the concern...hope things calm down by then. I wouldn't want to fly over conflict zone...rather most of us wouldn't.

Adipocere

Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:25 pm

steman wrote:
Lufthansa´s LH758 FRA-MAA seems to be heading on a southerly route. It´s currently over Sinai, whereas in the past several days it used to fly over Turkey and northern Iran.

It’s kind of baffling how airlines plan to divert one flight and not another. LH755 nearly overflow the crash site near Tehran a couple of hours after the incident.

zoek34

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:02 pm

HV6902 (DXB-AMS, with a stopover in BOJ, which is sometimes skipped) is probably also avoiding the airspace of Iraq and Iran.

As a result of this, instead of BOJ as stopover, now ATH is going to be used (according to Flightaware).

COEWR787

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:10 pm

panamair wrote:
Looks like today's DL025 BOM-JFK flew over Pakistan, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Russia, and then the Polar route through Greenland. Don't know if they had to weight restrict or not as it was booked full but left with about two dozen empty seats.

That is the normal great circle route. UA and DL nonstops to or from India (EWR-DEL, EWR-BOM, SFO-DEL, JFK-BOM) do not normally fly over the Middle East unless the airspace over Pakistan is closed for some reason, and that is not the case now. When they fly over the middle east either they have to take weight restrictions or stop for refueling (more so on 77E, 77Ls and Ws can make it without refueling to EWR, but not to SFO), since they have had to avoid Iran for quite a while anyway.

xwb777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:29 pm

President Donald Trump speech is over without announcing any further actions towards Iran. We can assume that the game is over and the situation will go back to normal.

Emirates,Etihad, Flydubai, Qatar Airways are still using Iraq and Iran airspaces.

johhnieonion

Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:20 pm

I have to fly EK8 within the next two weeks and as an already slightly nervous flyer, well, the prospect of flying over a conflict zone isn't doing much for my nerves. EK8 normally goes over Iraq but today it went over Iran, which doesn't seem any safer.

ek2.png

cpd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:06 pm

theaviator380 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
theaviator380 wrote:

I can understand the concern...hope things calm down by then. I wouldn't want to fly over conflict zone...rather most of us wouldn't.

I’m also flying through DXB this year a few times so I hope things will settle down by then.

minister

Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:12 pm

All US & EU flights avoided Iran and Iraq airspace today. Northern tracks went through Central Asia with southern tracks through the Mediterranean, around Israel through the Arab peninsula (as per FR24).

UA49 BOM-EWR proceeded to turn north after depart to take the northern track. Let's see the others through the night.

COEWR787

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:40 pm

minister wrote:
All US & EU flights avoided Iran and Iraq airspace today. Northern tracks went through Central Asia with southern tracks through the Mediterranean, around Israel through the Arab peninsula (as per FR24).

UA49 BOM-EWR proceeded to turn north after depart to take the northern track. Let's see the others through the night.

That is what it always does. It is its normal route. Has nothing to do with Iran/Iraq/US conflict.

It tends to take a more northerly route than the great circle route westbound to minimize the effect of the jet stream on its nose. The great circle route is north/est of Iran, through Turkmenistan anyway.
Last edited by COEWR787 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightsaber

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:40 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Imagine airline insurers are going to have a big say in where they fly and at what cost.

This was my first thought. Airlines can fly, insurers can refuse to cover without a rider. This impacts all airlines.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

fortunerunnner

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 pm

panamair wrote:

I believe thats typical route for the flights, check AI BOM-EWR flight and it typically flies similar routing though in the past it might have gone over Iran as well. I doubt DL had to weight restrict 77L considering AI flies 77W and if 77W can make it to EWR, 77L should have no problem to get to JFK though its purely my opinion without any technical knowledge about operating an airplane :).

PS- UA also has BOM-EWR flight and it has also been taking similar route as well even before current flare up happened.

TC957

Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:57 pm

Clackers wrote:
A flight I regularly take is SQ317 LHR-SIN. I have been taking this flight at least 2-3 times a year since 2011.

The flight paths have changed over the years due to political situations, but thought I would mention that SQ317 on 7 Jan 2020, flew south east through Germany, Austria, and then north of Turkish airspace, before south east again through Turkmenistan and Afghanistan, and then pretty much the usual route down to Singapore (via India and Bay of Bengal (woah, turbulence!) and then perpendicular to the west coast of Thailand as breakfast is warmed up in the galley).

Today - 8 Jan 2020 - SQ317 is flying north of Netherlands, north of Germany, north of Poland, and now into Russia (currently just past Moscow). I presume it will soon deviate south east and take a more usual route through the 'stans' of central Asia. But this Nordic detour in the first 4 hours is not something I would have predicted. Still, better be safe than sorry.

One of SQ's A380 return legs (SIN-LHR), namely SQ322 is basically a 14hr red eye, and it often flies north of Netherlands at the end of the flight (this is usually the first sign of daylight in the cabin btw). But the outbound flight from LHR never takes such a northern route in my personal experience.

There is a strong Jetstream from the Atlantic heading NE across the UK to Northern Europe right now so that routing you mention for SQ317 will get a really good push as far as the Baltic states.

tnair1974

Re: Safety of Flying over The Middle East

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:45 am

andrej wrote:
Thunderbolt500 wrote:
Does any us carrier fly to dubai

As far as I am aware, only UPS and FedEx are scheduled US flagged carriers. There are no US scheduled passenger carriers in DXB, but at least one (Delta) used to fly there.

Depending on winds and other weather, UPS's SDF-DXB flight often goes over Iraq very near the Iranian border. Witness this track before hostilities started...
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS ... /KSDF/OMDB

Same flight a day later...
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UPS ... /KSDF/OMDB

a320fan

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:10 am

Seems to be mostly business as usual today with lots of traffic still using the typical paths through Iraq and Iran, particularly the ME3.

A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Velocity7

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:57 am

This morning on the Singapore Airlines Facebook page:

Travel advisory on Iranian airspace

In view of the current situation in the Middle East, all Singapore Airlines flights to and from Europe have not been flying over the Iranian air space since 6 January 2020. The new routes do not significantly change flight times for these flights. Regarding flights operating over Iraqi airspace, Singapore Airlines has not operated flights over this area since 2012. We are closely monitoring the situation in the region and will take the appropriate precautions if necessary

steman

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 am

Adipocere wrote:
steman wrote:

It’s kind of baffling how airlines plan to divert one flight and not another. LH755 nearly overflow the crash site near Tehran a couple of hours after the incident.

That´s probably because the plane was alreasy en route and could not change flight plan that quickly.

KLSMB

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:04 am

CBC News is reporting that Air Canada will be rerouting it's flights from Toronto to Dubai (AC 56/AC 57) for the time being to avoid Iraqi airspace. The airline has not used Iranian airspace since mid-2019.

LOT Polish Airlines, Air France, KLM, Lufthansa, S7, Qantas, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Emirates, and flydubai have all announced that they will be rerouting or cancelling flights in the region given the current situation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/airlin ... -1.5418717

johhnieonion

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:37 pm

Why are all these major airlines rerouting planes yet Emirates continues to compromise passenger safety? If they've all decided it is for the best, I would trust multiple risk assessments versus Emirates' single risk assessment.

Uli72

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Lufthansa and Austria are flying to Teheran again today and tomorrow. I do not see how they can do that avoiding Iranian airspace :)

johhnieonion

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:54 pm

Can anyone provide a snippet of reassurance about my upcoming EK8 flight from LHR to DXB in 10 days? In light of the fact Iran seems to be (accidentally or otherwise) shooting down civilian aircraft and also the fact that Emirates continues to fly over Iraqi/Iranian airspace, am I overreacting by worrying about this flight much more than I normally would? The prospect of having to be on an airplane worrying about getting blown out of the sky for ~2.5 hours of my flight, or however long it takes to get from northern Iraq through the Persian Gulf to land in DXB, doesn't sound enticing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos