ACDC8

Re: Reports of Ukrainian 737 Crash in Tehran,Iran

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:24 am

So many conspiracy theorists here and not enough tinfoil hats :sarcastic:
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

osiris30

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:25 am

Got a close up of that engine.The major hole is inconclusive because there's been impact damage.Some parts look turned in, some look turned out.

There is a small hole where we have some metal peeled back (on the more silver band), again that peeling itself looks to be impact related. Under that could be a hole point out.

Then on the right side of the engine (in the image) we have what appears to be inward punctures.
Last edited by osiris30 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

chimborazo

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
Watching the video via the twitter feed, it appears the plane is totally out of control and changes course multiple times which is indicative of total loss of control. The fire appears to be coming from the right side of the plane and it appears to be streaking from front to back and not middle to back. At 8000 ft, the plane would have suffered no pressure loss and thus it "should" still have been very much flyable, if it was an engine failure, even if un-contained. The fact that this occurred in darkness is going to result in very few eyewitness accounts. The fact that it happened within Iran is going to make the situation even more compounded because if it was a surface to air missile, then Iran will never admit it. Even if it wasn't, the air investigation will be closed to most worldwide investigative parties. The only hope is that the Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) will demand to be part of the investigation due to the high number of Canadian casualties. Even then though, I would imagine Iran would not allow it. Sad situation all around. I doubt the families of these victims ever get closure.

Re: number of observers. That depends. Obviously it’s easier to see in more detail what is happening and there will be more people about during daylight. But I would think there would be a larger percentage of potential observers who notice a plane on fire dropping out the sky at night time than in the day due to it being easier to notice/have your eye drawn to bright objects at night than in the day.

sevenair

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:28 am

British Airways flights diverted to Istanbul. BA105 and BA109. There is a tweet at 0342 UTC time with a screenshot off BA105 well into its 180 degree turn and diversion to IST.

It appears this was due to the military action and not the downed jet. I believe military action began at 0300 UTC and this plane crashed at around 0345 UTC.

Eirules

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:28 am

Seems to me like a lot of Canadian citizens to me but maybe that’s the norm
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

flybucky

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:31 am

flybucky wrote:
What are some factors/evidence so far that either support or refute the engine failure theory?

AeroplaneFreak wrote:
ADS-B data completely normal until loss of contact

I will caution that the FR24 non-granular plots use sparse data points that are smoothed out, which can be extremely misleading because it looks very smooth, which is usually accurate for a normal flight. But for a catastrophic incident, the granular data can paint a very different picture. Hopefully FR24 will release the granular data as they often do for major incidents: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/cate ... -incident/

SimonL

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:32 am

There is always a possibility of shrapnel passing through parts of the aircraft and thus also makes an exit hole.
It's always hard to speculate but imo the biggest indicator for a missile hit is the location of the shrapnel holes. An engine failure only produces shrapnel in a quite narrow cone perpendicular to the engine, so any damage outside that area is not likely from the engine.

AeroplaneFreak

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:33 am

flybucky wrote:
flybucky wrote:
What are some factors/evidence so far that either support or refute the engine failure theory?

AeroplaneFreak wrote:

I will caution that the FR24 non-granular plots use sparse data points that are smoothed out, which can be extremely misleading because it looks very smooth, which is usually accurate for a normal flight. But for a catastrophic incident, the granular data can paint a very different picture. Hopefully FR24 will release the granular data as they often do for major incidents: https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/cate ... -incident/

This is true but all "current" signs make it hard to say it was engine failure.

sevenair

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 am

osiris30 wrote:

Got a close up of that engine.The major hole is inconclusive because there's been impact damage.Some parts look turned in, some look turned out.

There is a small hole where we have some metal peeled back (on the more silver band), again that peeling itself looks to be impact related. Under that could be a hole point out.

Then on the right side of the engine (in the image) we have what appears to be inward punctures.

Engines would be at climb thrust at this stage. I wonder if whatever happened resulted in debris being ingested into the engine or a shockwave destroying the turbine and leading to uncontained engine failure as a result and not the cause of whatever brought it down accounting for the holes which look like they're caused by something flying out of the engine.

arfbool

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:39 am

flybucky wrote:
flybucky wrote:

AeroplaneFreak wrote:

You can use Flight Aware to view the 6 ADS-B returns without smoothing. The data is monotonic in speed and altitude indicating nothing amiss.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AUI ... B/tracklog

Viper911

osiris30 wrote:

It inconclusive because it can be an unconfined engine failure with engine parts ejected outwards as it can be possible shrapnel damage that was propelled through the engine, as long as we don't see the other side of the engine, we can only speculate. Furthermore, please note that on the video posted earlier, the airplane in question looks to be on fire prior to impact, while the engine on the photo posted is clean of any fire damage.

Viper911
Last edited by Viper911 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LDLT

Eirules wrote:

Iranian diaspora? 200k of them in Canada.
Ukraine Int. has a flight to YYZ from KBP at 11:55 AM

Draken21fx

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:40 am

Two stupid questions but I guess the black box has not been recovered yet cause we would have heard news of it.

Also what was the weather at the time of the crash sub 0c? I know it is pretty chilly at the moment.

Kadish

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:42 am

For those of u who may think that Iranian government took part in this sad crash, Can you tell me why they hit a plane from a foreign country with a lot of Iranian pax on ir, and a country with no issues against them?
It could be plausible If the plane were American,Saudi Arabian....
The most important thing, let the experts work to discover what happened.
And the most important thing RIP to all pax and my condolence to all the families involved.

zeke

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:43 am

Draken21fx wrote:
Two stupid questions but I guess the black box has not been recovered yet cause we would have heard news of it.

Both the CVR and FDR have been recovered.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Eirules

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:44 am

LDLT wrote:
Eirules wrote:

Iranian diaspora? 200k of them in Canada.
Ukraine Int. has a flight to YYZ from KBP at 11:55 AM

Yeah perhaps. Seems a disproportionately high percentage of the passengers, a third in total with not one US citizen but maybe it’s just a tragic coincidence. On the other hand did Canada tell there citizens in Iran to get the hell out and they were fleeing

osiris30

Draken21fx wrote:

Also what was the weather at the time of the crash sub 0c? I know it is pretty chilly at the moment.

Weather appears to have been fine. Iran reports recovering the black boxes as of 25-30 minutes ago.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

sevenair

Draken21fx wrote:

The METAR current at the time of departure indicated winds of 6 knots, good visibility, and a temperature of -1℃. The METARs before and after report similar conditions.

OIIE 080300Z 27006KT CAVOK M01/M04 Q1021
OIIE 080200Z 28006KT CAVOK M01/M04 Q1021 (METAR current at time of departure)
OIIE 080100Z 26006KT CAVOK M01/M04 Q1021

Eirules

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 am

Kadish wrote:
For those of u who may think that Iranian government took part in this sad crash, Can you tell me why they hit a plane from a foreign country with a lot of Iranian pax on ir, and a country with no issues against them?
And the most important thing RIP to all pax and my condolence to all the families involved.

Simple, by mistake... We’ve been here before

Jomar777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 am

flymia wrote:
If those are real videos, anything other than foul play is highly unlikely.

The only way to believe that the plane was shot down by a missile would be if one of those fired by Iran on Iraq had diverted nearly 180º - look at the map of the region.

A separate missile intended only for this aircraft wold have left trail in the sky which the same international agencies - which could predict accurately how many Iranian Missiles were fired to Iraq - that monitor the area 24/7 would clearly pick up (the Ukrainian/Russian Missile that downed the Malaysian Airlines in Ukraine was quicly detected). Besides, to bomb an Ukrainian plane out ot Teheran is beyond comprehension given that the said plane could be stopped within the airport prior to take-off (i.e. if a person of interest was on it). If at least the plane was bound to Western Europe...

At present, it seems very clear that it is a tecnical fault (probably electric) maybe allied to fuel spillage which triggered an explosion. There are different similar cases that could highlight that in history.

How Iran can say in advance it was not shot down? Easy: 1st they were the ones firing missiles during the night and probably have accounted for all those they fired. 2nd, as stated, we yet do not know whether the pilots reported something through the radio (although we cannot see the aircraft turning around) or whether the Tower/ground staff perceived something wrong on take-off, for example.

Ukraine does not have a big bone to pick up with Iran despite their leanings towards the West (more specifically to the EU). Russia does not need to reach out to Ukraine in Iran - it can do so on the Eastern Ukraine Region it already has influence in. Also, besides from the use of questionable poisoning substances, they never recurred on blowing passenger aircrafts before apart from the mistake in the past with a Korean Airlines way back.

I will gladly hold my hands if I am wrong but this unfortunatelly seems clearly a technical fault with the aircraft which, despite being only 3 years old, can still happen.

Hope all that perished and ther families and relatives do find comfort on this difficult moment.

Virtual737

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:46 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
redcap1962 wrote:

That is extremely negligent journalism to list a cause of the accident only hours after it happened. With no facts whatsoever. I thought better of the AV Herald.

Read it again. The Herald just quoted a statement issued by the embassy. They have not reported that as the cause themselves.

Draken21fx

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks zeke and osiris30. Do we know the condition of them?

Does Iran have the capability of extracting the data?

In regards to weather I guess icing is excluded right?

Virtual737

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:48 am

Jomar777 wrote:

At present, it seems very clear that it is a tecnical fault (probably electric) maybe allied to fuel spillage which triggered an explosion.

Just wow.

sevenair

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:50 am

Draken21fx wrote:

I'd expect icing to have caused issues further back in the departure. Id expect it to happen soon after rotation whilst at a slow speed and with induced drag peaking, or perhaps after flap and slat retraction as the shape and area of the wing change. At 8000 I'd expect it to be clean and accelerating or flying at 250kias ish and not picking up any more icing. I don't think icing caused this.

AeroplaneFreak

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:51 am

Jomar777 wrote:
At present, it seems very clear that it is a tecnical fault (probably electric) maybe allied to fuel spillage which triggered an explosion. There are different similar cases that could highlight that in history..

Sorry, what evidence suggests it's "very clear"?

osiris30

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:53 am

Draken21fx wrote:

Unknown to both 1 and 2, icing wasn't the issue, we have video of the plane going down on fire...
Last edited by osiris30 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Virtual737

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:53 am

Draken21fx wrote:

Icing wouldn't explain the fire shown in the video.

SQ32

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 am

Ukraine reported that the crash had been caused by an engine failure rather than terrorism or a missile attack.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... media.html

flybucky

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:56 am

arfbool wrote:
You can use Flight Aware to view the 6 ADS-B returns without smoothing. The data is monotonic in speed and altitude indicating nothing amiss.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AUI ... B/tracklog

I dragged the cursor across that plot and saw 5 ADS-B data points over a 3 minute period. So even if the plot isn't smoothed, it's extremely sparse data points. It could have encountered catastrophic failure before the next data point.

(When FR24 provides granular ADS-B data, they are about every 5 seconds.)

345tas

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:57 am

Kadish wrote:

The same question can be asked of the Russian proxy forces in Ukraine that shot down a Malaysian 777 a few years ago. In the heat of war, mistakes happen.

Tehran's air defences, just hours after Iran launched an attack on US forces, would be at the highest level of alert it is possible to be.

CriticalPoint

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:57 am

SQ32 wrote:
Ukraine reported that the crash had been caused by an engine failure rather than terrorism or a missile attack.

Engine failures don’t cause planes to crash in a fire ball.

cedarjet

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:00 am

Thing about a missile strike is that there would almost certainly be a witness, even if the launch was in a secluded area, of the flame and smoke trail; and Iranian radar would have picked it up, at least in a replay. Might even show up as a primary target on Tehran ATC screens. I don’t know how much they show but I’m writing a chapter about the Turkish DC-10 crash outside Paris at the moment, and the cargo door showed on civilian radar as a primary target, and that was back in 1974, so I would think a SAM would leave a clear radar trace. Time will tell.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

vfw614

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 am

Interesting that only 2 Ukrainian passengers were on board. So apparently the route mainly caters for ethnic travel of people with Iranian heritgage living abroad as a lower cost alternative to the various legacy flag carriers serving Tehran

TTailedTiger

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:04 am

cedarjet wrote:
Thing about a missile strike is that there would almost certainly be a witness, even if the launch was in a secluded area, of the flame and smoke trail; and Iranian radar would have picked it up, at least in a replay. Might even show up as a primary target on Tehran ATC screens. I don’t know how much they show but I’m writing a chapter about the Turkish DC-10 crash outside Paris at the moment, and the cargo door showed on civilian radar as a primary target, and that was back in 1974, so I would think a SAM would leave a clear radar trace. Time will tell.

How can say such things with confidence? Who's to say it didn't show up? Iran would never admit to it or turnover the data.

Jomar777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:04 am

AeroplaneFreak wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:
At present, it seems very clear that it is a tecnical fault (probably electric) maybe allied to fuel spillage which triggered an explosion. There are different similar cases that could highlight that in history..

Sorry, what evidence suggests it's "very clear"?

Simple: the lack of evidence proving otherwise. Just using Sherlock Holmes' approach on this one ;-)

osiris30

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 am

SQ32 wrote:

Higher ranking Ukranian officials have discredited that initial report.

Jomar777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
SQ32 wrote:

If the said engine failure was related to an electric fault, for example, then it might...

arfbool

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:07 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
SQ32 wrote:

Right, and airlines don’t suspend whole routes just because of an engine failure.

nlc1072

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:09 am

having browsed the photos, the nacelles seem rather untouched apart from obvious crash damage, I don't think it was an engine failure.

TTailedTiger

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:09 am

arfbool wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
SQ32 wrote:

Right, and airlines don’t suspend whole routes just because of an engine failure.

Yes, that is the most telling. A mechanical failure wouldn't cause them to pull service from a city.

scbriml

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:11 am

Kadish wrote:

I don't think anyone is suggesting Iran deliberately shot down a passenger airliner, especially not with their history. But, until shown otherwise, in the circumstances an accidental shootdown is a distinct possibility.

See IR655
See MH17
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

CriticalPoint

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:13 am

Jomar777 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
SQ32 wrote:

If the said engine failure was related to an electric fault, for example, then it might...

No it wouldn’t. Electrical faults don’t fail engines. If the FADEC failed the engine would simply roll back not explode.
Last edited by CriticalPoint on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

flybucky

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:14 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Yes, that is the most telling. A mechanical failure wouldn't cause them to pull service from a city.

Well, to be fair, they're pulling service because they're not sure what the cause was. It could be a shootdown or terrorism, or it could be mechanical failure, but they don't know right now. No airline knows right now that it was definitely a shootdown/terrorism.

planewasted

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:22 am

How many 737NG have crashed because of engine explosions? And how many hours have the 737NG flown?
Compared to the risk of departing from a country with all aircraft and missile defence on high alert?
Of course no proof yet but..

SQ32

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:25 am

Update

In an statement on its website, the Ukrainian Embassy in Tehran said that it did not believe the crash was caused by a terrorist or rocket attack, and placed the blame on technical issues with the engine. However, the embassy subsequently deleted its statement.

https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politi ... -iran.html

AMP44

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:26 am

Iran refuses to hand over the black box of the Ukrainian plane to Boeing (Google will translate it as Pyongyang though)

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsArabia_B/sta ... 3866568704

yurieu

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:29 am

Remember those airplane crashes which fire shut down all lights and other electricals? What if this is the case?

xwb777

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:31 am

What are those holes in the aircraft fuselage?

caoimhin

Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:31 am

yurieu wrote:
Remember those airplane crashes which fire shut down all lights and other electricals? What if this is the case?

Which incidents did you have in mind for comparison?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos