Strange, I was just going to provide the source but it seems the moderator has deleted my post on first results of Ukraininian investigators.
Anyway, posting this again - after examination of engine leftovers investigators found no evidence of burn damage. Therefore they conclude that fire observed on the video was not coming from engines.
Here is the source article: https://censor.net.ua/news/3168988/na_d ... toyatelstv
It is a respectable Ukrainian news site. Unfortunately, they don't have this article in English, but you can use google translate.
So,as someone posted here before, the question is - can the engine explosion due to mechanical failure leave no burn marks on the engine itself?
Thanks for reposting with a source.
As a reminder for everyone: When posting facts please always provide a link to your source, otherwise posts will be deleted. Thanks.
Wow, there are a lot of first hand information on that source ! I just copy the conclusions:
"So, what do we understand at the moment, what are the preliminary findings for January 9, 2 p.m.
1. The plane crashed, a fire broke out on board, but not as a result of engine malfunction, but as a result of another reason. Thus, the causes of the fire on board are not known. But apparently, the fire was in the cabin
2. The aircraft was actually new, and the communication and control system itself, repeatedly duplicated, could not fail, there are no signs of a malfunction that the ground services would be aware of.
3. At the helm were the most experienced first pilot Aleksey Naumkin, with a flight time of 12 thousand hours, the second pilot was Sergey Khomenko with a flight time of 7.6 thousand hours, a former military pilot. There is no doubt that both of these people were highly resistant to stress and were well prepared for action in extreme conditions. Only a sudden incident could damage them, which would simultaneously hit the communications, control and crew of a huge aircraft
. There can be no ordinary technical reasons for this. Even if the engines collapsed in the air without explosion and without fire, the crew would have time to go on air.
4. The absence of any negotiations with the dispatcher and the absence of a fire in the engines suggests that a version of a terrorist attack, a collision with a drone or an anti-aircraft missile explosion is very likely
5. Records of airport radars will show the situation at the time of the disaster, and then it will be clear whether any objects were approaching or not. Thus, even the wildest rocket version cannot be ruled out at the moment.
6. Iran at the moment does not show any signs of hiding the circumstances of the tragedy, is ready to provide all the information and act in accordance with the rules of the international civil aviation organization.
In my opinion, a fire in the baggage compartment fit the actual reported elements as well as the observation of all the small solids tiny parts in fire at the crash site and in the security video of the crash. As the conclusion above say, only a massive event could let no time to the crew and immediately disable the communication, so this strongly suggest an explosion in the baggage compartment.
Last edited by PixelFlight
on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.