Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Opus99
Topic Author

Willie Walsh Retiring from IAG 30 June 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:15 am

Willie Walsh retiring from IAG on 30 June 2020 and being replaced by Iberia CEO Luis Gallego.

https://www.iairgroup.com/en/newsroom/p ... -executive

Do we expect much to change with regards to the direction of the company?

eurotrader85

Re: Willie Walsh Retiring from IAG 30 June 2020

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:38 am

I would say, if there was debate (and I say this as a bit of a fanboy), that it makes the prospect of a purchase of second hand A380s less likely. WW was a supporter of the aircraft, Cruz is well, Cruz.

Also to put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak, it would mean IAG Chairman and CEO are both from the Iberia side. More specifically how will that play out for BA long-term? With the Air Europa bid on the way and LHR continuing to be hamstrung in its expansion, is this the long-term corporate rationale as MAD still has capacity to grow?

Agrajag

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:49 am

Did Boeing make him an offer he couldnt refuse?? :lol: :stirthepot:
The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.
Slartibartfast had a point

leghorn

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:23 am

Dublin isn't an Aviation backwater anymore. If he so wishes he can keep his hand in the game or associated fields while having a less stressful life.

chrisfrommalawi

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 am

First Tim Clark, now WW. Both great leaders. It's an end of an era. And it's time for the new generation to take over.

SCQ83

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:32 am

This will help Madrid to become the global aviation hub it deserves to be.

uta999

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:17 am

Agrajag wrote:
Did Boeing make him an offer he couldnt refuse?? :lol: :stirthepot:

Perhaps Boeing decided they needed someone in charge, who actually knew how to fly a plane. And don't call me Shirley.
Your computer just got better

vhtje

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:22 am

chrisfrommalawi wrote:
First Tim Clark, now WW. Both great leaders. It's an end of an era. And it's time for the new generation to take over.

I don't see STC in the same league at WW. Yes, STC oversaw a massive expansion at EK. But did he deliver the profits? Who knows? EK is privately held so does not have to declare its accounts. We know it publishes accounts, but we do not know how much of the full picture they represent. Has the A380/77W strategy been sound? Time will tell, but what is not debatable is that there are questions about the strategy in the medium and long term. My point is, the jury must still be out calling STC's days at EK a success.

WW's success at BA and subsequently at IAG is much less opaque. He was the driving force that turned BA around, and then built IAG into the powerhouse it currently is.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Andy33

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:23 am

eurotrader85 wrote:
I would say, if there was debate (and I say this as a bit of a fanboy), that it makes the prospect of a purchase of second hand A380s less likely. WW was a supporter of the aircraft, Cruz is well, Cruz.

Yes, Cruz is Cruz. Luckily the appointed successor isn't Cruz, it is Gallegos.

Arion640

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:53 am

vhtje wrote:
chrisfrommalawi wrote:

I don't see STC in the same league at WW. Yes, STC oversaw a massive expansion at EK. But did he deliver the profits? Who knows? EK is privately held so does not have to declare its accounts. We know it publishes accounts, but we do not know how much of the full picture they represent. Has the A380/77W strategy been sound? Time will tell, but what is not debatable is that there are questions about the strategy in the medium and long term. My point is, the jury must still be out calling STC's days at EK a success.

WW's success at BA and subsequently at IAG is much less opaque. He was the driving force that turned BA around, and then built IAG into the powerhouse it currently is.

To be fair, EK get their accounts signed off by PWC.

vhtje

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:54 am

Arion640 wrote:
vhtje wrote:
chrisfrommalawi wrote:

To be fair, EK get their accounts signed off by PWC.

An Enron's were signed off by Arthur Anderson.

My point is, the rules regarding EK's accounting practices and declarations are not the same as for a listed public company. I am not suggesting EK (or PWC) are doing anything even remotely illegal. I am not suggesting EK's declared results are not complete. They may well indeed be, and absolutely everything is above board. My point is, we cannot know if they are complete, or if they are not.

My personal take is: EK declares their financial results for a reason: namely, they are trying to influence public opinion on the success of their operations. To achieve that objective, it stands to reason that they would be creative - within the limits of the law - in how, and what, they declare. But we can't know.

Back on topic: why is WW stepping down? He is too young to retire. He's only 58.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Boeing74741R

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:34 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:

I don't think it makes much difference and I'm personally not banking on more A380's joining the fleet in second-hand form now they've got enough planes delivered/on order to replace the 747's. I reckon Willie Walsh would have ordered more A380's if Airbus sold them to BA on his own terms. As for second-hand A380's, I think the comments made at the time were based on what A380's were becoming/already available at the time and who knows what state A380's coming off-lease in the future will be and how much money would need to be spent bringing them up to BA standards.

vhtje wrote:
Back on topic: why is WW stepping down? He is too young to retire. He's only 58.

If you're wealthy enough to retire before the age of 60 then besides potential boredom and wondering what to do with your days after you've spent the first few months doing the trips you've always promised yourself etc., then I don't blame him. In the UK at least under current circumstances, most people that are half his age probably won't be able to consider retirement until they're closing in on 70 years old than 60! :mad:

It wouldn't surprise me if he keeps his hand in aviation in some way, shape or form, be it as a non-executive chairman or something, or even do something completely different for a bit.

Channex757

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:58 pm

Willie is the right age to be retiring.

His pension fund is probably a nice pot and he's 58. Still got a good few years in him. At 58 I fully expect him to be hot property on the directorship market, especially non-executive posts with good return for minimal commitment. His name has brand value as a board member.

The long notice period says he is the driver here and not IAG. If he was being "retired" it would be a cash payout and fast termination. This way there is stability and order for IAG.

He could even renew his 737 type rating and fly for Ryanair if he gets bored!!

BA777FO

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:20 pm

vhtje wrote:

There's been a rumour for quite a while that Willie hasn't been particularly well. Never had it verified but heard it from multiple sources. He also got divorced recently (again the rumour was that he was carrying on with his PA, again unverified), was forced to sell about €1.5m worth of IAG shares at about 450p each as part of the divorce settlement, the price is now about 620p each! I don't think money is of any issue in this though.

I don't think anything will materially change with the new leadership; IAG will still be focused on cost cuts above else followed by shareholder returns. Labour relations will remain tetchy but ultimately IAG will probably remain the European leader (out of IAG, LH and KLM/AF) for profitability, ROIC and operating margins.

jumpjets

Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:46 pm

vhtje wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
vhtje wrote:

I don't see STC in the same league at WW.....

Looking forward a year or so to when the Uk/EU post brexit relationship is finalised it may be that the shareholding complexities within IAG of keeping The Spanish/Irish IAG airlines as EU owned whilst simultaneously keeping BA as UK owned prove too great. One scenario could be BA is sold off and hey presto Willie is in the wings. Since retirement He has been up Kilimanjaro, he has sailed the Atlantic single handed and is looking to get back and do some work - who better than Willie to come back as Chairman of the newly stand alone BA. (PS This is a bit tongue in cheek but not totally).

airbazar

Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:32 pm

jumpjets wrote:
vhtje wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Looking forward a year or so to when the Uk/EU post brexit relationship is finalised it may be that the shareholding complexities within IAG of keeping The Spanish/Irish IAG airlines as EU owned whilst simultaneously keeping BA as UK owned prove too great. One scenario could be BA is sold off and hey presto Willie is in the wings.

I'm not sure that makes any sense. The whole point of a holding company like IAG is exactly to manage independent [from eachother] companies in different jurisdictions. Otherwise they would just do a real merger like in the U.S.

vhtje

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:39 pm

airbazar wrote:
jumpjets wrote:
vhtje wrote:

Looking forward a year or so to when the Uk/EU post brexit relationship is finalised it may be that the shareholding complexities within IAG of keeping The Spanish/Irish IAG airlines as EU owned whilst simultaneously keeping BA as UK owned prove too great. One scenario could be BA is sold off and hey presto Willie is in the wings.

I'm not sure that makes any sense. The whole point of a holding company like IAG is exactly to manage independent [from eachother] companies in different jurisdictions. Otherwise they would just do a real merger like in the U.S.

He means: with Brexit, it's possible BA could no longer be controlled by a non-UK company (IAG, which is a Spanish company jointly listed in London and Madrid), therefore, IAG, being non-British, may forced to divest itself of BA to UK interests.

I think that is unlikely, and that the UK will remain within the single EU Aviation market.
Last edited by vhtje on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Looking like 2020 is going to be a good year for aviation. DM is gone, STC and WW retiring. Lets hope this is a new beginning.
All posts are just opinions.

VS11

Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm

Willie Walsh deserves a lot of credit for seeing quite early what the impact of the European LCCs would be on the European legacies. He moved Aer Lingus to be more like Ryanair and less like BA, LH, etc.

Arion640

Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:38 pm

Channex757 wrote:
Willie is the right age to be retiring.

His pension fund is probably a nice pot and he's 58. Still got a good few years in him. At 58 I fully expect him to be hot property on the directorship market, especially non-executive posts with good return for minimal commitment. His name has brand value as a board member.

The long notice period says he is the driver here and not IAG. If he was being "retired" it would be a cash payout and fast termination. This way there is stability and order for IAG.

He could even renew his 737 type rating and fly for Ryanair if he gets bored!!

I agree. I’ll be retiring at perhaps before 58 if i can. He probably has plenty of money to see him through. Plus he can probably do consultancy work and directorships for extra cash.

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Looking like 2020 is going to be a good year for aviation. DM is gone, STC and WW retiring. Lets hope this is a new beginning.

Who is DM? But STC is Sir Tim Clark and WW is Willie Walsh. Btw, I hope the new CEO turns BA and IB better than before.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

moa999

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:04 am

VS11 wrote:
Willie Walsh deserves a lot of credit for seeing quite early what the impact of the European LCCs would be on the European legacies. He moved Aer Lingus to be more like Ryanair and less like BA, LH, etc.
Just a shame his predecessor didn't - getting rid of Go! For a cheap price to a PE company who quickly flipped it to easyJet for a big return.

Ishrion

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:08 am

SQ789 wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Who is DM? But STC is Sir Tim Clark and WW is Willie Walsh. Btw, I hope the new CEO turns BA and IB better than before.

Dennis Muilenburg

speedbird52

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:13 am

vhtje wrote:
airbazar wrote:
jumpjets wrote:

He means: with Brexit, it's possible BA could no longer be controlled by a non-UK company (IAG, which is a Spanish company jointly listed in London and Madrid), therefore, IAG, being non-British, may forced to divest itself of BA to UK interests.

I think that is unlikely, and that the UK will remain within the single EU Aviation market.

In the unlikely event of that happening, what would that mean for BA?

vhtje

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 am

speedbird52 wrote:
vhtje wrote:

In the unlikely event of that happening, what would that mean for BA?

Well for it to happen, it would mean the UK would have elected to create its own version of EASA (or UK CAA would assume these responsibilities). There would need to be laws passed that meant UK-based AOC holders need to be majority UK-owned. IF all that happened (and I think it all unlikely: cost, complexity, & for what benefit? Besides, of all the things Brexiteers have been moaning about, aviation safety & regulation hasn't been one of them), then the Spanish IAG would need to divest itself of BA. Presumably it would mean either a trade sale of BA in its entirety to another UK entity, or a new listing on the London stock exchange. They could also split the IAG shares, but I think that would far too complex to negotiate: a trade sale/separate listing would be easier.

The ramifications of a no-deal Brexit on aviation are frighteningly complex. If you want to turn some hairs grey, do read on:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us/Brexit/

moa999

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 am

Will be a way to solve Brexit issues, might be expensive but I'm sure it will get solved.
Whether it's a cross-shareholding dual listing, or some notional shareholders like Virgin Australia

Aisak

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:25 am

vhtje wrote:
Well for it to happen, it would mean the UK would have elected to create its own version of EASA (or UK CAA would assume these responsibilities). There would need to be laws passed that meant UK-based AOC holders need to be majority UK-owned.
[...]
Presumably it would mean either a trade sale of BA in its entirety to another UK entity, or a new listing on the London stock exchange. They could also split the IAG shares, but I think that would far too complex to negotiate: a trade sale/separate listing would be easier.

Well, there is no need for airlines holding XX-AOCs to be XX majority owned. Several countries around the globe have a more relaxed ruling about this. Australia, Brazil, Peru... come to mind. Some other countries are on the other side more restrictive like the US.

British government has said that they have to plans to change the current ownership rules on airlines with a G- reg and Brisith AOC. That would ground almost the entire British aviation industry.
BA being 100% owned by Spanish registered IAG (which ultimately is not 51% British owned)
VS being 49% owned by US Delta and EU AF-KLM
FlybE owned By VS (30%), Irish Stobart (30%) and a hedge fund based in Luxembourg (40%)
Ryanair UK being owned by Irish Ryanair Group (which in the end is not 49%-owned by British)
And the Easyjet group with an even more challenging situation. Easyjet has also to prove that its Austrian arm Easyjet Europe is at least 51% EU owned and controlled

Polot

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:06 pm

Aisak wrote:
vhtje wrote:
Well for it to happen, it would mean the UK would have elected to create its own version of EASA (or UK CAA would assume these responsibilities). There would need to be laws passed that meant UK-based AOC holders need to be majority UK-owned.
[...]
Presumably it would mean either a trade sale of BA in its entirety to another UK entity, or a new listing on the London stock exchange. They could also split the IAG shares, but I think that would far too complex to negotiate: a trade sale/separate listing would be easier.

Well, there is no need for airlines holding XX-AOCs to be XX majority owned. Several countries around the globe have a more relaxed ruling about this. Australia, Brazil, Peru... come to mind. Some other countries are on the other side more restrictive like the US.

British government has said that they have to plans to change the current ownership rules on airlines with a G- reg and Brisith AOC. That would ground almost the entire British aviation industry.
BA being 100% owned by Spanish registered IAG (which ultimately is not 51% British owned)
FlybE owned By VS (30%), Irish Stobart (30%) and a hedge fund based in Luxembourg (40%)
Ryanair UK being owned by Irish Ryanair Group (which in the end is not 49%-owned by British)
And the Easyjet group with an even more challenging situation. Easyjet has also to prove that its Austrian arm Easyjet Europe is at least 51% EU owned and controlled

Often those relaxed rules apply only to domestic flights/airlines. Australia only allows 49% ownership for international flights. Latam Peru is only 49% owned by Latam, the other 51% is owned by Peruvians. Things get tricky come international flights when you start involving other countries and bilateral agreements. UK may have no issue with a UK airline being majority foreign owned...but country X may decide that the airline is not legally British (or country Xian) thus cannot legally fly between the countries as outlined in the bilateral agreement.

Most U.K./EU airlines have already taken steps to have legal U.K./EU subsidiaries though.

Boeing74741R

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Aisak wrote:
vhtje wrote:
[...]

The sale of the stake in VS to Air France-KLM was cancelled just before Christmas, so it remains 51% owned by Sir Richard Branson...

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/richa ... lm-1330277

By my reckoning, the only major airline in the UK that's owned by a British company is Jet2 as Dart Group's HQ is based at LBA, though in turn I don't know how the ownership of Dart Group is split.

All of this is off-topic in relation to Willie Walsh's impending retirement from IAG!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos