Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lh600
Topic Author

LH600 Frankfurt to Tehran returning to Frankfurt

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 pm

According to Flightradar24, LH600 is returning to Frankfurt. Does anyone know what is happening?

https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH600/2377a7a5

hoons90

Re: LH600 Frankfurt to Tehran returning to Frankfurt

Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:55 pm

Also, OS871 VIE-IKA is diverting to SOF.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

Dutchy

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:00 pm

It seems logical not to fly to Tehran at this time. Safety is paramount.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

N757ST

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:02 pm

There’s a lot of evidence now that the crash in Iran was an accidental shoot down. With that in mind I doubt anyone is going to assume the liability of operations in that theater until safety can be assured.

Blerg

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:42 pm

hoons90 wrote:

Sofia is barely an hour flying time from Vienna, why not return to the base in stead of landing in Bulgaria. Quite odd.

YYZYYT

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:44 pm

More odd: why did they take off today in the first place? I recall seeing that they turned back yesterday (buried somewhere in the monster thread on the crash)

Edit: it's (also?) in the separate thread re flights to / through Iranian airspace.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438593&start=100

tapairbus370

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 pm

N757ST wrote:
There’s a lot of evidence now that the crash in Iran was an accidental shoot down. With that in mind I doubt anyone is going to assume the liability of operations in that theater until safety can be assured.

Can you indicate your source please, honest request.

zippy

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:08 pm

tapairbus370 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html
Last edited by zippy on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sw733

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Blerg wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Sofia is barely an hour flying time from Vienna, why not return to the base in stead of landing in Bulgaria. Quite odd.

Yeah, that's odd to me too. Obviously had the fuel to make it back to VIE if it had enough to make it to Tehran. Curfew issue, perhaps? Still pretty early in Vienna, though...

sevenair

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:11 pm

Disappointed that LH group and the MEB3 continued to risk the lives of their crew and passengers by continuing Tehran ops. Surely they could have canned the flights just for a day or so to try figure out what happened. When the airline whose plane was downed cancels all flights it suggests that perhaps they know something.

Blerg

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:13 pm

sw733 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

Yeah, that's odd to me too. Obviously had the fuel to make it back to VIE if it had enough to make it to Tehran. Curfew issue, perhaps? Still pretty early in Vienna, though...

I might be wrong but I think VIE doesn't have a curfew. I checked and Aeroflot has a scheduled/regular departure tonight at 00.10.

N757ST

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:13 pm

tapairbus370 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Main page of most US media outlets.

Plus this. https://mobile.twitter.com/NarimanGhari ... 6937928705

runway23

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:14 pm

sw733 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

OS871 is showing planned to leave SOF at 2145 and arrive at VIE at 2225. Of course it's past that time now in SOF, but who knows.

Blerg

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:14 pm

sevenair wrote:
Disappointed that LH group and the MEB3 continued to risk the lives of their crew and passengers by continuing Tehran ops. Surely they could have canned the flights just for a day or so to try figure out what happened. When the airline whose plane was downed cancels all flights it suggests that perhaps they know something.

Various Middle Eastern carriers have cancelled flights to Iraq once tensions rose. I am sure they had their reasons for not cancelling Iran as well.

Blerg

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:17 pm

N757ST wrote:
tapairbus370 wrote:
N757ST wrote:

They are merely speculating it, they have no concrete proof that it actually happened. Furthermore, if you open the link you posted you would read that the guy can't verify the video just yet. On top of that, once that explosion happens there is darkness. On another video we can see the plane falling from the sky and there being fire. So...

runway23

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:19 pm

N757ST wrote:

You probably have multiple aspects:

-Insurers or insurance policy doesn't cover or severely limits coverage in an area where a plane was shot down or other incidents recently happened (could also be union agreements).
-Possible reputational risk - other airlines have come out and said they won't fly over Iraq/Iran, here you have LH/OS continuing to fly to the country itself. If something were to happen to the aircraft, crew or passengers then the media would have a field day with either carrier.
-Government, authorities or intelligence strongly advising/forbidding to fly there, flight plan possibly cancelled in this case.
-Information that further military intervention is imminent and that you're better not to have your aircraft or crew there.

N757ST

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:21 pm

Blerg wrote:
N757ST wrote:
tapairbus370 wrote:

They are merely speculating it, they have no concrete proof that it actually happened. Furthermore, if you open the link you posted you would read that the guy can't verify the video just yet. On top of that, once that explosion happens there is darkness. On another video we can see the plane falling from the sky and there being fire. So...

It’s not just the Americans, the Canadians also indicate their intel says an accident shoot down. Don’t know what to tell you. I’m sure the government manage talking to the airlines and that’s likely causing them to err on the side of caution.

Arion640

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:25 pm

sevenair wrote:

Same Qatar has operated to Baghdad the whole time, while Emirates pulled Baghdad for yesterday but seems to have resumed today.

Arion640

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:25 pm

sevenair wrote:

Same.

Qatar has operated to Baghdad and Tehran the whole time, while Emirates pulled Baghdad for yesterday but seems to have resumed today.

Blerg

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:26 pm

Arion640 wrote:
sevenair wrote:

Same.

Qatar has operated to Baghdad and Tehran the whole time, while Emirates pulled Baghdad for yesterday but seems to have resumed today.

Interestingly enough, QR also overflies Syria.

NW747-400

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:37 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
runway23 wrote:
-Insurers or insurance policy doesn't cover or severely limits coverage in an area where a plane was shot down or other incidents recently happened (could also be union agreements).
-Possible reputational risk - other airlines have come out and said they won't fly over Iraq/Iran, here you have LH/OS continuing to fly to the country itself. If something were to happen to the aircraft, crew or passengers then the media would have a field day with either carrier.
-Government, authorities or intelligence strongly advising/forbidding to fly there, flight plan possibly cancelled in this case.
-Information that further military intervention is imminent and that you're better not to have your aircraft or crew there.

I am surprised the US allows LH, OS or the ME3 to fly to Iran.

The US has absolutely no control over where other sovereign nations allow their flagged carriers to operate.

Strato2

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:44 pm

I thought LH were sensible Germans and err on the side of caution. Disappointed they took off at all.

DXTraveler

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:44 pm

"They are merely speculating it, they have no concrete proof that it actually happened."
Of course they do. No they are not, speculating. Do you honestly think they are going to divulge their methods and capabilities to the media.

Blerg

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:46 pm

DXTraveler wrote:
"They are merely speculating it, they have no concrete proof that it actually happened."
Of course they do. No they are not, speculating. Do you honestly think they are going to divulge their methods and capabilities to the media.

Without wanting to go into politics here, let's not forget their methods and capabilities also lead them to believe Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. All I'm saying is that we should not jump to conclusions at this point before we have more information.

redcap1962

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Blerg wrote:
sw733 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I might be wrong but I think VIE doesn't have a curfew. I checked and Aeroflot has a scheduled/regular departure tonight at 00.10.

No curfew at VIE. 24h operation. Just some restrictions as to which runways my be used during the night -> noise abatement.
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

Blerg

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:01 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
Blerg wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Sorry. Your assessment is bonkers.

Care to expand on that?

AirFiero

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 pm

Blerg wrote:
N757ST wrote:
tapairbus370 wrote:

Difficult to tell what happened when...

Iran refuses to hand over the crashed Ukrainian Boeing 737's black box to the embattled manufacturer
https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine ... ing-2020-1

OceanAir

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 pm

NW747-400 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

The US has absolutely no control over where other sovereign nations allow their flagged carriers to operate.

Sure they do. Mahan dropped FCO and MXP after the U.S. "suggested" the Italian government step in and pull their landing rights. They can no longer fly to Italy in general. The U.S. can easily give LH and OS (and the ME3) an ultimatum: fly to the U.S. or Iran. The choice is yours. Done.

RossW

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:09 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Blerg wrote:
N757ST wrote:

Iran refuses to hand over the crashed Ukrainian Boeing 737's black box to the embattled manufacturer

As mentioned elsewhere, this isn't out of the ordinary.

JoseSalazar

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Blerg wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Sorry. Your assessment is bonkers.

Care to expand on that?

The US and Canadian governments aren’t speculating. There is plenty of hard evidence, especially above open source levels.
Last edited by JoseSalazar on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speedbird52

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:12 pm

AirFiero wrote:
Blerg wrote:
N757ST wrote:

If I was Iran I would also refuse to give the blackboxes to the US. If the US wanted war with Iran, this would be the perfect pretext to start one.

fltbumped

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 pm

LH initially suspended operations temp, as new findings may suggest an accidental shoot down LH may have decided to suspend operations furthermore ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq ... SKBN1Z71TY
Last edited by fltbumped on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoseSalazar

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Blerg wrote:

If I was Iran I would also refuse to give the blackboxes to the US. If the US wanted war with Iran, this would be the perfect pretext to start one.

Not really. This was an accidental shooting (as far as we know right now) of a Ukrainian plane, not an intentional shooting of a US plane. Generally not something that starts a war with a third party country.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 pm

OceanAir wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Sure they do. Mahan dropped FCO and MXP after the U.S. "suggested" the Italian government step in and pull their landing rights. They can no longer fly to Italy in general. The U.S. can easily give LH and OS (and the ME3) an ultimatum: fly to the U.S. or Iran. The choice is yours. Done.

Mahan Air has US sanctions all over it. Rome will have wanted a favour from Washington in return for doing their bidding. Berlin would want a very big favour form Washington to stop Lufthansa flying to Tehran long term - the question is how willing are the Americans to grant a favour

SEA

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:21 pm

OceanAir wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Mahan still flies to MXP, saw the A346 yesterday

leghorn

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 pm

I think there is nowhere safe to land near Tehran except maybe Turkmenistan and Azerbijan which are both a day or more bus ride away from Tehran.
It isn't like if Dusseldorf is closed you fly to Cologne just down the road.

eamondzhang

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Why should LH, OS and ME3 flying to anywhere but USA matter to the USA authority when they're not even a USA based airline?

Michael

NW747-400

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:41 pm

OceanAir wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Let’s say that’s a plausible scenario. On what grounds will the US cite a ban on LH flights to the states without revealing they were pressuring Germany to abandon Tehran service?

jscottwomack

Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm

cnn has a video showing an object in the sky being hit over Tehran.
https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-new ... estigation
TWA, Ozark, Braniff, Piedmont, USAir, American, Delta, Frontier, Midwest Express, Western, Eastern, Southwest, Northwest, PanAm, United, Mississippi Valley, Britt, Continental, Trans America, Midway, America West, National, American Trans Air, Sun Country

OA412

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Kindly please stop steering this thread into politics. The topic is LH600 returning to FRA. Thank you!
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

concordeforever

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:26 pm

NW747-400 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
runway23 wrote:

I think the US put pressure on the UK/British Airways to stop flying to Tehran after the US said they were pulling out of the nuclear deal and increasing sanctions.

Up until then the BA flight was operating at a profit I believe, but was terminated pretty suddenly.

dampfnudel

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 pm

The German government most likely got access to intelligence from the US which probably hasn’t been released to the public (yet) and felt it would be prudent to bring the flight back to FRA. I don’t know if LH has announced the suspension of all future flights to Tehran until further notice, but I would guess they will soon.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

eagles94

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:41 pm

Austrian have crews which nightstop in Tehran, wonder what happened to them since the aircraft coming to pick them up has turned around?

dampfnudel

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:55 pm

eagles94 wrote:
Austrian have crews which nightstop in Tehran, wonder what happened to them since the aircraft coming to pick them up has turned around?

Another day or two of sightseeing in Tehran until a recovery flight arrives I would guess. If the airspace is deemed unsafe for that, then another option could be an overland option to Turkey.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

mac74

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 pm

Strato2 wrote:
I thought LH were sensible Germans and err on the side of caution. Disappointed they took off at all.

Very disturbing that they planned to fly to Iran. Was Lufthansa so very sure it was safe and the ukrainien 737 had technical problems??? Unbelievable...

clrd4t8koff

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:42 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Mahan Air has US sanctions all over it. Rome will have wanted a favour from Washington in return for doing their bidding. Berlin would want a very big favour form Washington to stop Lufthansa flying to Tehran long term - the question is how willing are the Americans to grant a favour

Huh? The US wouldn’t need to do any favors for Berlin. All the US has to do is ban LH from flying to the US if they chose to continue serving IKA and watch LH pull out immediately long term. LH needs the US wayyyyyy more than any US carrier needs *any* German destinations. It would financially devastate LH to not be able to serve its US (and potentially Canadian) destinations.

Not to mention LH doesn’t even serve IKA daily. They wouldn’t be that dumb to request a favor to axe what will now be a loss making route. It’ll probably get axed on its own.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:46 pm

If Washington bans Lufthansa from flying to the USA, the EU would react pretty fast...

aemoreira1981

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:08 am

I'm surprised that LH600 or OS871 even went airborne to begin with.

clrd4t8koff wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

Huh? The US wouldn’t need to do any favors for Berlin. All the US has to do is ban LH from flying to the US if they chose to continue serving IKA and watch LH pull out immediately long term. LH needs the US wayyyyyy more than any US carrier needs *any* German destinations. It would financially devastate LH to not be able to serve its US (and potentially Canadian) destinations.

Not to mention LH doesn’t even serve IKA daily. They wouldn’t be that dumb to request a favor to axe what will now be a loss making route. It’ll probably get axed on its own.

If the USA did that, I do believe that the EU would retaliate by banning any N-registered planes from its airspace, which would severely disrupt FedEx and UPS.

AirFiero

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:49 am

speedbird52 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Except that the manufacturer of the aircraft, Boeing, is in the United States. And, the NTSB often gets involved in crashes all over the world because they are very good at analysis.

Cubsrule

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:06 am

AirFiero wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Except that the manufacturer of the aircraft, Boeing, is in the United States. And, the NTSB often gets involved in crashes all over the world because they are very good at analysis.

The United States is the country of manufacture of the airframe. It has the absolute right to participate in the investigation.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos