Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Web500sjc
Topic Author
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 am

DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:06 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 432211002/

Saw this on the news. DL was operating a special section from LAS-CDG, DL148 (among other LAS flights this week). Just before the A/C reached Labrador canada, there was a mechanical issue that cause a diversion to BOS. Aircraft landed in BOS around 10pm. Another 777 was flown up, and continued the flight to CDG, departing BOS at 3:00am. (So a 5 hour delay.

Any idea what the issue is?

Pretty fast response to get a 777 from ATL-BOS in the middle of the night. For reference that replacement A/C departed from ATL about 20 minutes after the broken A/C landed in BOS.
Boiler Up!
 
2KINF
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:04 pm

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:22 am

LOcal CBS reported a correctionon Friday evening that this was med. emergency.
 
User avatar
SteveXC500
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 am

Web500sjc wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/01/10/delta-flight-makes-emergency-landing-boston-en-route-paris/4432211002/


Pretty fast response to get a 777 from ATL-BOS in the middle of the night. For reference that replacement A/C departed from ATL about 20 minutes after the broken A/C landed in BOS.


I would imagine in the time from deciding to divert to landing in BOS, DL found a plane and crew...
 
DL777200LR
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 am

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:07 am

Was a mechanical diversion not medical. Hence why a recovery flight was sent from ATL
Nothing better than the sound of a 77W GE90-115B on engine start.
 
777Mech
Posts: 997
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:15 am

DL777200LR wrote:
Was a mechanical diversion not medical. Hence why a recovery flight was sent from ATL


It was actually both. It was a airframe vibe and a passenger was having a severe anxiety attack and the flight declared a medical emergency.
 
dstblj52
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:41 am

777Mech wrote:
DL777200LR wrote:
Was a mechanical diversion not medical. Hence why a recovery flight was sent from ATL


It was actually both. It was a airframe vibe and a passenger was having a severe anxiety attack and the flight declared a medical emergency.

I just want to say thank you for being such a great resource to the A.net community
 
rafpen
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 pm

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 pm

I was on this flight. The plane started having problems right after taking off from the LAS. An unidentified hissing sound appeared and disappeared several times. In fact, there was an airframe vibe due to a cracked and loose air conditioning vent (per pilot), as well as constant loud hissing sound. Passengers pressed the pilot to land. So he turned toward Boston, it was an hour before we landed. Several passengers had a serious anxiety attack and during the last hour, the flight announced a medical emergency.
 
USAirwaysfan
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 am

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:36 am

Hi, first time posting here. Was looking at the tail number that diverted on flight aware and plane finder and it appears that this aircraft is the same one that had the emergency en route to Shanghai and would up dumping fuel during the emergency landing in LAX. Seems a little bit suspect to have two mechanical issues that resulted in diversion/emergency landing of the same aircraft. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1836
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 am

USAirwaysfan wrote:
Hi, first time posting here. Was looking at the tail number that diverted on flight aware and plane finder and it appears that this aircraft is the same one that had the emergency en route to Shanghai and would up dumping fuel during the emergency landing in LAX. Seems a little bit suspect to have two mechanical issues that resulted in diversion/emergency landing of the same aircraft. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Not the same a/c. N860DA (the one diverted back to LAX enroute to PVG) is still in LAX waiting for the new engine.

Off topic a little bit but I've heard a rumour that said DL chartered an An-124 to carry the engine but cancelled the order after the a/c arrived into MSP, can anyone confirm this?

Michael
 
USAirwaysfan
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 am

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:49 am

Hi Eamondzhang, thanks for the reply. You are correct, it is still sitting in LAX now; however, I think you may be thinking of the two flights in the wrong order. The DL148 diversion occurred on January 9th. The aircraft then flew several more missions until the 14th, when the Shanghai flight returned to LAX.
 
arfbool
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 am

Re: DL 148 LAS-CDG diverts

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 am

USAirwaysfan wrote:
Hi Eamondzhang, thanks for the reply. You are correct, it is still sitting in LAX now; however, I think you may be thinking of the two flights in the wrong order. The DL148 diversion occurred on January 9th. The aircraft then flew several more missions until the 14th, when the Shanghai flight returned to LAX.


OK...860 was the rescue plane. It subsequently had the failure at LAX and remains there. The original plane was 864. It diverted to Boston but is back in rotation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos