Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

Flooding at DXB causes EK meltdown

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:38 pm

Dubai experienced strong storms on Saturday causing flooding in both the city and the airport. Electrical systems at DXB experienced outages and caused havoc on EK's network. Most EK flights were delayed by a minimum of 3 hours.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-duba ... ce=twitter

TropicalSky

Re: Flooding at DXB causes EK meltdown

Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:55 pm

Guessing someone forgot to have the drains cleared in a timely fashion

pdp

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:06 pm

It also caused the 24H Dubai at the city's racing circuit to be cancelled due to the water being waist height in places! I understand drainage isn't to the same standard there due to the lack of rain for 95% of the year...

scbriml

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:08 pm

When I lived and worked in Dubai back in 2006/7 there was one almighty storm that caused widespread flooding. It was absolute chaos. Most roads have no camber or drains and next to nobody moderates their driving despite there being inches of standing water on the roads. Madness. But, in all honesty, it's like the south-east of the UK if we have a significant snowfall - chaos ensues.

pdp wrote:
It also caused the 24H Dubai at the city's racing circuit to be cancelled due to the water being waist height in places! I understand drainage isn't to the same standard there due to the lack of rain for 95% of the year...

:checkmark:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

readytotaxi

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:11 pm

Indeed, looking at FR24 departing aircraft heading towards Europe the delays average around 7hrs. Dreadful knock on to come.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

andrej

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:13 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
Guessing someone forgot to have the drains cleared in a timely fashion

What drainage? :wave:
This was most rain we had here in the past three years. It stopped raining this morning in my place and water (pools of water) stands on roundabouts and ramps as of now (just got back from the Mall of Emirates).

Glad that it happened on a weekend. But rain may come tomorrow as well....

TC957

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:15 pm

scbriml wrote:
When I lived and worked in Dubai back in 2006/7 there was one almighty storm that caused widespread flooding. It was absolute chaos. Most roads have no camber or drains and next to nobody moderates their driving despite there being inches of standing water on the roads. Madness. But, in all honesty, it's like the south-east of the UK if we have a significant snowfall - chaos ensues.

pdp wrote:

:checkmark:

I think you have summed it up perfectly comparing Dubai rainstorms to SE UK snow events. Nobody thinks to prepare for it, or how to deal with it.

par13del

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Yes but if it only rains in the desert every 3 years why build drains and infrastructure for it, cheaper to watch the weather channel and if and when you see rain coming, cancel operations.
Bean counter sarcasm

Clackers

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:38 pm

How the hell can it rain in Dubai? I'm not saying the photos are photoshopped, but the desert is a desert for a reason. The Atacama is the driest place on earth.

redcap1962

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Jeddah airport was obviously temporarily closed on january 8 in the evening. Flight SV150 from VIE diverted to Medina, but flew finally to Jeddah after some hours on the ground. Maybe similar weather situation at Jeddah that day?
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

planecrazy20

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 pm

Clackers wrote:
How the hell can it rain in Dubai? I'm not saying the photos are photoshopped, but the desert is a desert for a reason. The Atacama is the driest place on earth.

Most deserts still get rainfall during the winter. Im from Kuwait, not too far from Dubai and it rains regularly between November-February. Rainstorms like the one in Dubai, which cause flooding and widespread travel cancellations are quite rare, but have increased over the past few years to the point where they are now occurring almost annually.

MIflyer12

Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Clackers wrote:

It's not the annual amount of rain - it's the rain that can fall in a short period with no good place to go nor ground cover to absorb it.

scbriml

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Clackers wrote:

It does rain. Not often, admittedly. This storm (and the one I witnessed first hand years ago) appear to be of the "once in ten years" variety. With climate change it may become more frequent than that. Why would anyone spend money on infrastructure to deal with rain like that if it only happens once every ten years? That's exactly the same reason that towns and villages in SE England get cut off for a week if we have a couple of feet of snow - there are no snowploughs and few people drive Landrovers.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

aemoreira1981

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Clackers wrote:

There is always that one day! I chalk this up to Murphy's law...you just live with these rare IRROPS.

lightsaber

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:15 pm

pdp wrote:

It rarely rain in loss angeles too But we have an extensive set of drainage canals, most of the time used to film cheesy TV shows, but I have seen the water flowing over the bridges during 10 year storms. People forget the big parks hold the water with the exit spillways having limited area to prevent downstream flooding.

In Florida, the streets are designed to flood up to 4 feet to be the channels to rivers/canals, or the ocean.

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

gabrielchew

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:27 pm

lightsaber wrote:
It rarely rain in loss angeles too But we have an extensive set of drainage canals, most of the time used to film cheesy TV shows, but I have seen the water flowing over the bridges during 10 year storms. People forget the big parks hold the water with the exit spillways having limited area to prevent downstream flooding.

In Florida, the streets are designed to flood up to 4 feet to be the channels to rivers/canals, or the ocean.

Lightsaber

Average rain fall in Miami is 62 inches, and LA is 15 inches. In Dubai it's 0.4 Inches. Whilst it "rarely rains in LA" (according to you), LA gets x38 more rain than Dubai. I don't think you can really compare any of these locations in terms of preparation for rainfall.

The rainstorm the other day brought "150 mm/hour for 2.5 hours". That's 15 inches of rain .....that's nearly 37 years worth of rain in 3 hours!

https://gulfnews.com/uae/weather/uae-mo ... 8718479311
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

Jouhou

Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Clackers wrote:

Desert climates tend to flood. There's not enough vegetation to soak up the water like a sponge so it takes far less rainfall to produce flooding in comparison to moist climates.
情報

CALMSP

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Clackers wrote:

Desert climates tend to flood. There's not enough vegetation to soak up the water like a sponge so it takes far less rainfall to produce flooding in comparison to moist climates.

its not even vegetation that is the reason, its that there is no drainage system in these desert cities.

Tristarsteve

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:03 pm

I was in Dubai in January 1980. ( I lived in Bahrain then). It rained. At the airport roundabout, they had just completed the very first traffic underpass. It filled up with water completely. They had forgotten to fit the drainage system.

xwb777

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:08 pm

Another thunderstorm is hitting the area now

AstanaMagic

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:18 pm

It’s that time of the year to expect storms and flooding is common, as others have said, they are as prepared for rain as the UK is for snow. I read recently on Gulf News that the UAE and Oman has spent a small fortune cloud seeding - you reap what you sow?
2020: AGP, KSQ, LGW, LHR, MXP, SVQ, TAS, XRY, ZRH
A/C: 32B, 32S, 752, 763, E90
A/L: BA, HY, LX, 2L

Avgeek21

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:12 am

Rain is good for the desert. Cloud seeding or not. Absolute pandamonium just about everywhere. But that's because nothing is designed for it. On purpose. But it does cope well with the heat on the other hand. It only rains a few days per year if you're lucky. Last time it rained this much and consistent was a few years back. The result and respons to it will be the same now as 20 years ago or in 20 years from now. Just the way it is.

mga707

Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:35 am

planecrazy20 wrote:
Clackers wrote:

Most deserts still get rainfall during the winter. Im from Kuwait, not too far from Dubai and it rains regularly between November-February. Rainstorms like the one in Dubai, which cause flooding and widespread travel cancellations are quite rare, but have increased over the past few years to the point where they are now occurring almost annually.

Some desert get the majority of their rainfall in the summer. The Sonoran Desert in which I live is one. A city in my state, Yuma (Arizona), will often get most or all of their average yearly rainfall in one or two summer 'monsoon' storms between July and September.

AKL321NX

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:06 am

Clackers wrote:
The Atacama is the driest place on earth.

The Atacama is the driest place on Earth outside of Antarctica and is the result of very specific climatic/geographical reasons.

SuseJ772

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:11 am

lightsaber wrote:
pdp wrote:

Lightsaber

Except in St Pete, FL where I live where believe it or not, some streets flood pretty heavily for just a moderate rain. We are doomed when the big one hits us - which is why won’t be there :)

That being said, the absolute worst freeways in this country during moderate rain is LA - especially the HOV lane. Lived in Indiana, LA, Atlanta and now St Pete. Never hydroplaned more (luckily short bursts, but still) than in LA
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

SFAviationGeek

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:18 am

Clackers wrote:

It rains in deserts every year (sections of the Atacama being a major exception). If you really want to know "how the hell it can rain in Dubai, This time, its due to the Indian Ocean Dipole being positive (which pushes warm water and moisture towards eastern Africa and lower Middle East).

macc

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:48 am

I went through it yesterday morning, transiting from CGK to PRG. Circling for more than 1.5 hours over Oman before landing.
It was kind of funny to see hundreds of buckets everywhere in the terminal but then finding out that the toilets and showers in the lounge were all closed because of lack of water. Add to it two fire alarms, guess caused by shorts, and a two hour delay on the onward flight partly due to a shortage of ground staff (only 2 people at the gate for a 380 and noone to walk the plane at pushback) and I am glad to have made it to PRG with only a 80 minutes delay in total.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

mjoelnir

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:00 am

How can anybody seeing the snow chaos at North American airports when on snow storm hits the east coast or when snow hits LHR, start talking about DXB being not prepared for rain.
That rain storm is as extrem a weather as a snow storm at JFK, just that it happens less often. Does anybody expect MIA to have extensive snow removal equipment? I mean a snow storm could happen.

Average yearly rainfall at Dubai 0.4 inch and this rainstorm brings 150 mm, 6 inch, in 2 1/2 hours. That is 15 years of average rainfall.
Those numbers do just say it all.

Devilfish

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:09 am

scbriml wrote:
Why would anyone spend money on infrastructure to deal with rain like that if it only happens once every ten years?

CALMSP wrote:
its not even vegetation that is the reason, its that there is no drainage system in these desert cities.

Of what use is a drainage system if it would only be clogged with sand for most of its existence?
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

lightsaber

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 am

mjoelnir wrote:
How can anybody seeing the snow chaos at North American airports when on snow storm hits the east coast or when snow hits LHR, start talking about DXB being not prepared for rain.
That rain storm is as extrem a weather as a snow storm at JFK, just that it happens less often. Does anybody expect MIA to have extensive snow removal equipment? I mean a snow storm could happen.

Average yearly rainfall at Dubai 0.4 inch and this rainstorm brings 150 mm, 6 inch, in 2 1/2 hours. That is 15 years of average rainfall.

Average rainfall is 100mm, or 4 inches. This was a 10 year event.

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climat ... ates/dubai

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

SteelChair

Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:25 am

It would be interesting to know how hard they drove their crews (how many hours they were on duty), prior to cancelling some flights, given no union and a "friendly" regulatory environment.

MileHFL400

Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:00 am

SteelChair wrote:
It would be interesting to know how hard they drove their crews (how many hours they were on duty), prior to cancelling some flights, given no union and a "friendly" regulatory environment.

You had to make this political didn’t you?
Thanks and best Regards
AA

rbavfan

Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:14 am

gabrielchew wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

Average rain fall in Miami is 62 inches, and LA is 15 inches. In Dubai it's 0.4 Inches. Whilst it "rarely rains in LA" (according to you), LA gets x38 more rain than Dubai. I don't think you can really compare any of these locations in terms of preparation for rainfall.

The rainstorm the other day brought "150 mm/hour for 2.5 hours". That's 15 inches of rain .....that's nearly 37 years worth of rain in 3 hours!

https://gulfnews.com/uae/weather/uae-mo ... 8718479311

Phoenix is fairly dry as well and rains certain times a year. Rest of the time drainage systems sit dry. We have a river with no water nearly year round.

erikgrinsvall

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:01 am

Considering that the national newspaper did admit that they are cloud seeding here in the UAE - who would you now call responsible for this mess. The amount of damage that has been cultivated through the last days are mad high - The disruptional cost for EK for delays, rerouting and re accommodating PAX, etc...

I know cloud seeding is more or less feeding silver iodide into a pre mature CB , but you’re still tampering on what is slightly beyond natural in this case.

The National center of metrological here in the UAE is a governmental player, so ideally shouldn’t they be seen as the ones pumping steroids into CB’s.

I know natural weather disruption is a part of any airline operations, however can we really see this as natural? What are you’re thoughts?

https://gulfnews.com/uae/weather/rain-i ... 8651377100

oschkosch

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 am

I once landed at DXB on an A380 during a bad storm, it was the first time I ever saw rain in Dubai. And the A380 was really shook around during the approach to DXB, extreme turbulence. But the rain was not as bad as on the pics currently.
:stirthepot: :airplane: "This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys" :airplane: :stirthepot:

SCQ83

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 am

redcap1962 wrote:
Jeddah airport was obviously temporarily closed on january 8 in the evening. Flight SV150 from VIE diverted to Medina, but flew finally to Jeddah after some hours on the ground. Maybe similar weather situation at Jeddah that day?

I flew out of JED this infamous day in 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Jeddah_floods and the airport was functioning normally other than many leakages inside the terminal (and of course getting to the airport itself was an adventure!). But to me it looked that JED was flood-resistant.
Last edited by SCQ83 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avgeek21

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 am

Why only massive disruption to EK? There is more than 1 local airline suffering massive delays as a rsult of it. Let alone all the others I've seen airlines parked in places I've never seen them, including widebodies. Have you seen the queues of aircraft holding remotely with engines running!?

Rain was torrential again this morning. Couldn't even hear the family over the rain and thunder! Again, good for mother nature and the animals. She needs water.

entdoc

Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:22 pm

not quite the same but Israel had a 50 year record setting rain for the last two weeks\
bad enough that some seven or maybe 9 people died

including a young couple who went to their buidings parking lot on -1 to check their car
rain shorted the elevator and then the cab flooded drowning them
alas rescue did not get there in time.

not sure how bad the delays were in TLV however

CRJ200flyer

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:10 pm

lightsaber wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Lightsaber

Or we could look at average rainfall in January:

“ Preliminary figures suggest that 150mm of rain had fallen every hour, for two and a half hours, at the peak of the downpours, according to Dubai Media Office.

Over a typical January in the UAE, around 10mm of rain usually falls on average, meaning more than 30 times more rain fell in less than three hours than usually falls over the full month.”

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/environment/uae-rain-and-storms-linked-to-climate-change-minister-says-1.963164

In any case, an impressive event!
Last edited by CRJ200flyer on Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjoelnir

Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:12 pm

lightsaber wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Lightsaber

You are right just 1 1/2 years worth of rain in a few hours.

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Concrete jungle surrounded by sand can absorb only so much water. There has to be different technology to allow water to seep through rather than forcing into drainage systems. Covering entire urban landscape with concrete/asphalt is causing problems in most urban areas.

I have seen videos of water rushing from ceiling at JFK,BOM. How are the electrical and IT systems are protected?
All posts are just opinions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos