Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zeke

Re: AC35 diverts to HNL after passenger dies onboard.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:25 pm

fraT wrote:
From what I can see on Flightradar24, the flight was actually closer to HNL than to Fiji at the time they turned around.

FR24 shows the most westerly position to be 4°49'11"S 174°32'18"W which is around 560 nm from Apia, 1843 nm from HNL, and 2290 nm from BNE.

Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zkojq

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:39 pm

What's the fuel availability like for a widebody dropping into Apia or Pago Pago unscheduled? I know that Air New Zealand and Hawaiian fly widebodies to those places multiple times a week but that's known well in advance. I'd imagine that a 777 dropping in unscheduled and uplifting 40-60tonnes of fuel could cause plenty of issues to other operators.

When the fuel supply at AKL was cut a year or two ago, Air New Zealand used A320s and 77Ws to tanker in fuel from Nandi which caused fuel supply issues in Fiji.
First to fly the 787-9

zeke

Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:57 pm

It was a 787-8, the diversion to Pago Pago would only be an hour out of the way. Uplift would probably be in the region of 10 tonnes.

AC would have an agreement via star alliance with NZ for fuel, engineering, and ground support.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

hnl808
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:51 am

zeke wrote:
You do realise that passengers that were diverted in HNL and do not have a US visa would have been detained ? I sure they are very happy with the outcome. Also the totally flight time back to HNL was closer to 11 hrs, they would have been only 3-4 hours from BNE. At that stage of the flight lots of passengers would have been asleep.

The passengers that did not have a valid visa or ESTA were not detained as this was an unplanned diversion. They were paroled into the US, per INA §212(d)(5). This section of law gives CBP the discretionary authority to temporarily allow someone into the US that did not meet the formal entry requirements. As this was a diversion the passengers on board the aircraft would have not had a requirement to ensure they had a valid visa or ESTA for the US, thus them being eligible for a port parole by CBP.

Jouhou

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:13 am

Guys, I'm surprised no one has said it yet: maybe the passengers and/or crew were uncomfortable with having a corpse on board for hours? Don't people defecate their selves after dying? There's several varieties of gross factor in a very confined space.
情報

WPvsMW

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:20 am

blrsea wrote:
Is there any reason the expired person can't be moved to a location away from other passengers?

Like in a crew rest bunk?? Not going to happen.

cirrusdragoon

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:38 pm

Jouhou wrote:
Guys, I'm surprised no one has said it yet: maybe the passengers and/or crew were uncomfortable with having a corpse on board for hours? Don't people defecate their selves after dying? There's several varieties of gross factor in a very confined space.

i mentioned before , crew distress trying to save the life. perhaps medlink, as air canada does use this service, possibly recommended diversion thinking the life could be saved . we do not have the full details of timeline of events.