EA CO AS

Re: A DL 772, Flying LAX-PVG, Makes Emergency Landing And Dumps Fuel On School

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
ATLANTA, GA - PR NEWSWIRE

"We thank the residents of Los Angeles for participating in our profit sharing event today where we gave away thousands of gallons of fuel.", said a Delta spokesperson. "We are thrilled to be a part of the Los Angeles community."

I hereby declare you winner of the internet for today!

:rotfl:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NiMar

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:44 pm

If I were a parent of one of those kids I'd be suing the beep out of DL. Raining carcinogens on them...

CriticalPoint

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:47 pm

NiMar wrote:
If I were a parent of one of those kids I'd be suing the beep out of DL. Raining carcinogens on them...

We have to know the reason first. If it was a fire I would have done the same thing or just landed overweight. Depending on the fire.

D L X

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
NiMar wrote:

We have to know the reason first. If it was a fire I would have done the same thing or just landed overweight. Depending on the fire.

I dunno.

Generally, if you break something, even if by accident, you are liable to the owners for what you broke. The reason why you broke it may have an effect on punitive damages to convince people not to do it again.

I’d say it’s too early to talk lawsuits, but this IS Los Angeles.

gatibosgru

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 pm

N212R wrote:
Delta PR will find a way to spin it though won't be easy with a bunch of burned kiddies. Helps to have friends in the Media. Delta legal will get the settlement signatures asap...back to business as usual.

The dramatics of some of the posts here.

Glad the plane managed to land safely.
@DadCelo

alan3

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 pm

n92r03 wrote:
Would Kansas City make it ok? C'mon people, let's be rational. Pretty sure the pilots did not think "cool, let's dump fuel when we don't need to and let's aim for a school". Some of you are such sensational alarmists, similar to the media these days.

The other day I spilled fuel on my hands, I was not happy as it smelled for a while. I did not call for a press conference or go to hospital. Good grief.

I don't get the impression that people are panicking or enraged, I think some people are genuinely curious about why fuel was dumped over buildings and schools when the ocean was about 15 miles away. Of course we're sure the captain has a rational explanation, but nothing wrong with wondering out loud.

Cubsrule

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 pm

alan3 wrote:
n92r03 wrote:
Would Kansas City make it ok? C'mon people, let's be rational. Pretty sure the pilots did not think "cool, let's dump fuel when we don't need to and let's aim for a school". Some of you are such sensational alarmists, similar to the media these days.

The other day I spilled fuel on my hands, I was not happy as it smelled for a while. I did not call for a press conference or go to hospital. Good grief.

I don't get the impression that people are panicking or enraged, I think some people are genuinely curious about why fuel was dumped over buildings and schools when the ocean was about 15 miles away. Of course we're sure the captain has a rational explanation, but nothing wrong with wondering out loud.

Curiosity is ok, though that explanation is relatively benign: if the aircraft needed to get on the ground ASAP, landing west was almost certainly the way to accomplish that. Loitering over the ocean waiting for ATC to clear traffic so they could land on a 6 or 7 almost certainly wasn’t.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Atlwarrior

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Man those kids about to get paid.

Kitesandtrains

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 pm

ual763 wrote:
Sidenote: Must’ve been really darn low for the gasoline to not evaporate before hitting ground.
Actually, it was more a case of what's not there cannot evaporate there.
Jet fuel isn't gasoline, it's more closely related to kerosene.

D L X

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:

I bet they get a free trip to Atlanta.

clrd4t8koff

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:20 pm

DL's taking a beating on social media right now. Don't think there's much worse DL could do (aside from crash) then harming children. I get it wasn't directly intentional, but don't mess with a scorned parent. Yikes!

ual763

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 pm

Kitesandtrains wrote:
ual763 wrote:
Sidenote: Must’ve been really darn low for the gasoline to not evaporate before hitting ground.
Actually, it was more a case of what's not there cannot evaporate there.
Jet fuel isn't gasoline, it's more closely related to kerosene.

Sorry, meant to just say gas. But, yes, Jet A is not gasoline.
From flying to the NOTAM office

FredrikHAD

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:29 pm

This is just a cover up. No fuel was dumped, it was the chemicals. The chemtrail system failed and they needed ti fix it in order to have the correct amount on board when reaching the target.

[/joke]

FLALEFTY

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Here's Avherald's report on the incident: https://www.avherald.com/h?article=4d1f4f9a&opt=0

dstblj52

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 pm

D L X wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
NiMar wrote:

I dunno.

Generally, if you break something, even if by accident, you are liable to the owners for what you broke. The reason why you broke it may have an effect on punitive damages to convince people not to do it again.

I mean unless you're going to sue for phycological damage you're going to have a hard time showing damages, and so long as it was dropped 2000 feet above the tallest building on the path it was legal, so no regulatory fines.

CriticalPoint

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:36 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
D L X wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

I dunno.

I mean unless you're going to sue for phycological damage you're going to have a hard time showing damages, and so long as it was dropped 2000 feet above the tallest building on the path it was legal, so no regulatory fines.

Well if AV Herald is correct and they did not request a fuel dump......

n729pa

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:38 pm

NiMar wrote:

Kinda sets the tone of this thread doesn't it....

I dare say had you been on that plane you might have had a different opinion, but still sued DL for emotional distress.

ikramerica

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 pm

dstblj52 wrote:
D L X wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

I dunno.

City hall elevation is 120’. So hopefully no 12 story buildings there. Considering it’s one of the most densely populated cities in America, I think dumping at 2300’ was probably irresponsible and unprofessional.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

dstblj52

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
D L X wrote:
I dunno.

Well if AV Herald is correct and they did not request a fuel dump......

I haven't see that but if thats true its definetely worse

PepeTheFrog

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:44 pm

D L X wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

You mean their parents will team together and sue the hell out of DL?

N649DL

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 pm

Meh, the kids will walk it off ;-)

Out of LAX with an engine emergency issue you're kind of screwed either way as it's a city with an approach surrounded by densely populated suburbs, ocean, mountains and DTLA. I'm sure there was a reason for it.

Could it be that LAX Tower or ATC asked for it or something like that?
Last edited by N649DL on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FlyPNS1

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 pm

D L X wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

Ouch, the poor kids just got fuel dumped on them and now you want to punish them again!

LittleFokker

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 pm

If the flight never got above 8,000 and some emergency caused them to immediately return to field, how the heck did the crew have time to ask for, get permission to, and execute a fuel dump? While simultaneously getting the aircraft ready for landing and handling whatever that emergency was? Fuel dumps are for situations where everything is stable but you want to avoid landing overweight during a diversion.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

dtw2hyd

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:48 pm

dstblj52 wrote:

It was at 2375 ft. over Park Elementary, Cudahy CA. But there are several other schools and churches in its path. Not sure when they stopped dumping.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:49 pm

Lead story on ABC/NBC/CBS nightly news. It’s so juicy they can’t resist.

The first responders treated the children with soap and water.....

Regardless of the sensationalism there are legit questions about why they were doing a fuel dump at that location, school or not.
Last edited by PSU.DTW.SCE on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boeing773er

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:50 pm

Just saw this on ABC evening news. It sounded like it was this terrible thing, 60+ emergency personnel showed up to treat the children, with soap and water. Poor children, they received a bath by a complete stranger.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

btfarrwm

The FAA will be investigating, according to their Twitter feed...

https://twitter.com/FAANews/status/1217213895066169345
Last edited by btfarrwm on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D L X

dstblj52 wrote:
D L X wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

I dunno.

You are correct that harm is required.

But neither you nor I would be willing to stand 2000’ under a fuel dump. Fuel fumes are dangerous.

Headaches, nausea, memory loss, neurological delay...

I hope these kids don’t suffer these effects.

flybucky

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
If the flight never got above 8,000 and some emergency caused them to immediately return to field, how the heck did the crew have time to ask for, get permission to, and execute a fuel dump?

According to AVHerald, "The crew did not request fuel dump."

NiMar

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:52 pm

So according to AVHerald they got the engine under control, did not request a fuel dump but merely requested to land... This should have been done over the ocean before landing.

CriticalPoint

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:54 pm

N649DL wrote:

Out of LAX with an engine emergency issue you're kind of screwed either way as it's a city with an approach surrounded by densely populated suburbs, ocean, mountains and DTLA. I'm sure there was a reason for it.

How are you screwed over the ocean?

NiMar

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:54 pm

boeing773er wrote:
Just saw this on ABC evening news. It sounded like it was this terrible thing, 60+ emergency personnel showed up to treat the children, with soap and water. Poor children, they received a bath by a complete stranger.

I'm sure the kids held their breath the whole time too. Lawyers are going to have a field day. Seems like an easy one to sway a jury. Surely DL is already figuring out what amount of money shuts this up.

LittleFokker

Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 pm

flybucky wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
If the flight never got above 8,000 and some emergency caused them to immediately return to field, how the heck did the crew have time to ask for, get permission to, and execute a fuel dump?

According to AVHerald, "The crew did not request fuel dump."

I wonder how big of a violation that is and what sort of punishment the pilot could expect for executing an unauthorized fuel dump.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

N649DL

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
N649DL wrote:

The aircraft can easily be ripped apart if it tries to ditch in the ocean. See US 1549 or that Ethiopian flight hijacked by terrorists. It depends on how dire the engine situation actually was.

washingtonflyer

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:05 am

Not going to disagree with you, but the ET crash wasn't really a controlled ditching.....They were having a brawl in the cockpit.

CriticalPoint

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:06 am

N649DL wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
N649DL wrote:

The aircraft can easily be ripped apart if it tries to ditch in the ocean. See US 1549 or that Ethiopian flight hijacked by terrorists. It depends on how dire the engine situation actually was.

Why would you ditch for an engine failure?

Oilman

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:07 am

dstblj52 wrote:

I’ve worked many large oil spills in my career and exposure to gasoline and kerosene (like jet fuel) has been well litigated. There are several large speciality law firms in the US that are able to provide financial guidance to Delta’s legal group and attorneys representing the exposed. I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think anyone is due a windfall here (from what I’ve seen in the past). My biggest concern is what people inhaled. Jet fuel has benzene in it. I would be pretty upset if my family had jet fuel rain down on it.

GE90man

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:07 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
N649DL wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:

US 1549 did. Well, rather a dual engine failure, but you get the point.

CriticalPoint

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:12 am

GE90man wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
N649DL wrote:

US 1549 did. Well, rather a dual engine failure, but you get the point.

No I don’t get the point a single engine failure does not cause a ditch.........massive difference between a dual and single engine failure. One is catastrophic the other is a nucance

dstblj52

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 am

Oilman wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:

I’ve worked many large oil spills in my career and exposure to gasoline and kerosene (like jet fuel) has been well litigated. There are several large speciality law firms in the US that are able to provide financial guidance to Delta’s legal group and attorneys representing the exposed. I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think anyone is due a windfall here (from what I’ve seen in the past). My biggest concern is what people inhaled. Jet fuel has benzene in it. I would be pretty upset if my family had jet fuel rain down on it.

Good to know but if I had to guess delta wants this buried yesterday and if that can happen for say 50 million dollars its probably going to happen, because delta is very protective of their brand image and having it dragged through the mud by a crusading attorney not something they're going to want to have happen.

Oilman

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24 am

dstblj52 wrote:
Oilman wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:

Good to know but if I had to guess delta wants this buried yesterday and if that can happen for say 50 million dollars its probably going to happen, because delta is very protective of their brand image and having it dragged through the mud by a crusading attorney not something they're going to want to have happen.

Fair point and I agree with you.

DoctorVenkman
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:25 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
I doubt the vapors touched unprotected skin are of any measurable quantity, assuming kids were playing outside in a short and t-shirt. The fumes might have scared them.

The kids were soaked per news reports. People on the ground said "it was raining fuel". This is not just people smelling some fumes and freaking out.

jetmatt777

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 am

Can Delta also receive an EPA fine for this since it appears as if it was not approved and/or justified?
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

dragon6172

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 am

DoctorVenkman wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
I doubt the vapors touched unprotected skin are of any measurable quantity, assuming kids were playing outside in a short and t-shirt. The fumes might have scared them.

The kids were soaked per news reports. People on the ground said "it was raining fuel". This is not just people smelling some fumes and freaking out.

News reports say a lot of things for clicks and ratings.
Phrogs Phorever

flybucky

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 am

The real question is whether DL89 dropped Prop 65 Warning leaflets before dumping fuel.

dstblj52

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
Can Delta also receive an EPA fine for this since it appears as if it was not approved and/or justified?

Maybe, it wasn't approved but it might have been justified, and if they made a mayday call a lot of rules go out the window so it might be legal, that's all investigating it means.

DoctorVenkman
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 am

dragon6172 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Do you have any evidence that this was not the case? Or are you just baselessly defending Delta? The science posted upthread indicates that a large amount of fuel would not atomize given the low altitude it was dumped at. Unless you have any evidence to the contrary I am going to believe the news reports which are in line with our scientific understanding of how jet fuel behaves.
Last edited by DoctorVenkman on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

washingtonflyer

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 am

Fuel drops Keep Fallin' On My Head.........

dtw2hyd

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:36 am

DoctorVenkman wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

You can listen to KTLA5 talking to first responders in the link I posted above.

I am still waiting for pax interview with Daily Mail. The usual "we thought we all going do die".

GE90man

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 am

DoctorVenkman wrote:
dragon6172 wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:

Do you have any evidence that this was not the case? Or are you just baselessly defending Delta? The science posted upthread indicates that a large amount of fuel would not atomize given the low altitude it was dumped at. Unless you have any evidence to the contrary I am going to believe the news reports which are in line with our scientific understanding of how jet fuel behaves.

As per Los Angeles Times:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-14/fuel-dumping-kids-jet-fuel-witness

“I saw an airplane and I thought smoke was coming out,” Miguel said. “Then when it got closer, I knew it was gas because a little bit fell on me.”

Miguel said fuel hit parts of his shirt and pants and that within an hour he had been sent home.

His mother, Ana, received a call about the events and rushed over to Park Avenue.

“Just a small amount landed on my son’s clothes and on his arms, but we washed him with soap and changed his clothes and he seems fine,” Ana Cervantes said.

When asked if she would destroy her son’s clothes as a precaution, Cervantes said such a measure was too drastic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos