WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 am

Final numbers from 2019 are in:
(XNA) in Highfill announced Tuesday (Jan. 14) enplanements rose 17% to a record of 922,533 in 2019, from 788,261 in 2018.

“The record growth in 2019 is a reflection of XNA’s efforts to cultivate continued working relationships with airline partners, the addition of new non-stop destinations and the region continuing to invest in our growing airport,” said XNA CEO Aaron Burkes.



https://talkbusiness.net/2020/01/xna-se ... d-in-2019/

XNA is chasing down LIT without WN's help and this time next year will be interesting.
 
LongLayover
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:15 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:01 am

I can see AA adding PHX and maybe even a very very very slim chance of BOS. DL should add SLC back. UA just needs to add IAD and I believe they are complete unless they want to give LAX a try. F9 should add a few more cities too. UA to IAD and AA to PHX seem the most likely,
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:09 pm

LongLayover wrote:
I can see AA adding PHX and maybe even a very very very slim chance of BOS. DL should add SLC back. UA just needs to add IAD and I believe they are complete unless they want to give LAX a try. F9 should add a few more cities too. UA to IAD and AA to PHX seem the most likely,


XNA got the CRJ 550 the first day of commercial service between here and Ohare. I think it is on every frequency. They want all eastern connecting traffic thru ORD outside of EWR on that plane it seems.

XNA is getting up among the airports with WN service, plus the airport is growing as is the market, it is not mature in way, shape or form. It looks to surpass Wichta after 2019, if not, will in 2020 for example. Some believe it will not happen but one poster here said they were coming pre MAX debacle but had issues with the FBO at XNA. The Allegaint BNA flight shows some amount of leasure travel so DAL, DEN, MDW/STL and BNA seem like very safe, logical adds if and when they come into the market. I could see HOU and LAS/PHX added in short order, MCO is there as well.

I can see Frontier shifting a flight like ORD-XNA-DFW from Branson as it seems to not be coming back there to expand XNA and adding MCO. Pretty much the same kind of routing, timing.
 
jb1087xna
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 am

Interesting that XNA may rival LIT at the end of the year if the trend continues.

I still think WN is a long-shot in the short term. If not, then I see F9 retreating and G4 cutting back. I'd assume WN would drop a minimum of 450 seats into the market per day...maybe closer to 600-750 depending on the day. I don't get how that number is sustainable without some combination of less seats offered by incumbent airlines and leakage to other airports lessening. AA, DL, or UA blinking seems unlikely because of the business traffic (maybe AA drops 1 of the 9 DFW flights?), so that leaves F9 and G4.

I wouldn't be surprised if AA added PHX but I don't see what it would offer that DFW and LAX do not. My perpetual wish is for DL to bring back SLC.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:44 am

AA flies LAX 2x daily, no PHX if it effects that if you ask me.

Currently, the two county MSA of Washington and Benton Co is around 600k, projections indicate around 2040 it will be 800k. XNA sits in a robust emerging market. This also doesn't take Carroll and Madison Counties in Arkansas or McDonald and Newton Counties in extreme Southwest Mo. Those currenty add up to to a little over 100k. Then there's the River Valley/ Ft. Smith and it's MSA of 300k. FSM reported a 5% increase in enplanements for 2019, around 95k. They say 80% of that was business related traffic vs. leasure. From Fort Smith proper, XNA is 45 minutes closer than TUL, but many drive to TUL for Southwest. I know these people and I work with people that do that, they have even driven to LIT.

I believe Southwest could come in with 3 to 4 stations and it be more of a stimulus than detriment. Yes...Delta, AA and United may reduce a frequency to ATL, DFW and ORD but I think it may be short term as it is a growing market.

Southwest can diversify it's offering between TUL and XNA at the beginning, it can offer ATL and/or BNA, MCO, and BWI and MDW and only repeats would a TEX station(DAL,HOU)or two and DEN at the start.

I saw and continue to see the WN dynamic play out with MEM/LIT. MEM with MDW, BWI, MCO, ATL, DEN and LIT with LAS, STL and PHX(seasonally), both with DAL and HOU.


On that note I see Allegiant possible giving Ft. Smith a try with Orlando



If Allegiant flies 4x weekly Orlando/Stanford during the summer without offering a single connecting flight on Airbuses, I think WN can handle a 737-700 daily with a plethora of connections.

I could then see Allegiant trying out FSM for Orlando
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 pm

I for one would LOVE WN to jump on BNA-XNA, but it probably won’t happen anytime soon. If they had a smaller plane like the A220, it would be perfect.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:40 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
I for one would LOVE WN to jump on BNA-XNA, but it probably won’t happen anytime soon. If they had a smaller plane like the A220, it would be perfect.



Allegiant could fly TYS, MSY, FLL, and now BOS and all would do well in the May to Aug season, I'd keep MSY and FLL year round, lots of cruising traffic potential there.

If Southwest comes I would prefer ATL from a connection point to the southeast perspective.
 
CitrusCritter
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:36 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:53 pm

The bleed to TUL and LIT will stop when someone comes in with stimulus through seats and lower fares, whether it’s WN or F9 or someone else. Very little hope given how F9 and NK operate though. Yet another example of the downside of consolidation.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA
 
BNAMealer
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:19 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
I for one would LOVE WN to jump on BNA-XNA, but it probably won’t happen anytime soon. If they had a smaller plane like the A220, it would be perfect.



Allegiant could fly TYS, MSY, FLL, and now BOS and all would do well in the May to Aug season, I'd keep MSY and FLL year round, lots of cruising traffic potential there.

If Southwest comes I would prefer ATL from a connection point to the southeast perspective.


Not much you could connect to in ATL that you couldn’t in BNA. Plus, BNA is less crowded and will eventually be a much bigger WN station than ATL.

DL would be better for BOS IMO.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:54 pm

G4 to BOS for leasure purposes only. It would do very well, I'd book it.

If Delta wants to bless us with a nonstop, then fine. Add SLC while they are at it. Shocked SLC isn't done seasonally as it is.

It's Jan and no one knows what the hell F9 is going to fly from and where to for many of their markets and folks are already making plans for Summer. Unless you want to piss off a hotel room in DEN their overnight connections stink. That is truely a one way stoner express.

Clarksville AR is about the equidistant point in travel time(not factoring in traffic delays) between XNA and LIT. TUL is sabout 40 minutes longer a drive from Fort Smith than XNA and requires tolls, which isn't much

XNA is closer than TUL from Joplin. Springfield is closer but only 15 minutes or so. Cost wise that is a wash outside of additional Allegiant routes Springfield has, plus there's that token AA service at Joplin itself that sucks off the EAS teet.
 
jb1087xna
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:27 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
If Delta wants to bless us with a nonstop, then fine. Add SLC while they are at it. Shocked SLC isn't done seasonally as it is.


IMO, SLC should be year round...not for SLC as a destination but for making west coast connections easier on DL. TUL seems to support it, though we have 2 MSP flights whereas they only have 1.
 
n2dru
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 am

BNAMealer wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
I for one would LOVE WN to jump on BNA-XNA, but it probably won’t happen anytime soon. If they had a smaller plane like the A220, it would be perfect.



Allegiant could fly TYS, MSY, FLL, and now BOS and all would do well in the May to Aug season, I'd keep MSY and FLL year round, lots of cruising traffic potential there.

If Southwest comes I would prefer ATL from a connection point to the southeast perspective.


Not much you could connect to in ATL that you couldn’t in BNA. Plus, BNA is less crowded and will eventually be a much bigger WN station than ATL.

DL would be better for BOS IMO.


Connecting thru ATL on WN generally doesn't require a change of concourse (unless its INTL to domestic) meaning less walking to your connection gate. WN is consolidated on the southend of C concourse. More gates/space then they currently have in BNA.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:38 pm

n2dru wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:


Allegiant could fly TYS, MSY, FLL, and now BOS and all would do well in the May to Aug season, I'd keep MSY and FLL year round, lots of cruising traffic potential there.

If Southwest comes I would prefer ATL from a connection point to the southeast perspective.


Not much you could connect to in ATL that you couldn’t in BNA. Plus, BNA is less crowded and will eventually be a much bigger WN station than ATL.

DL would be better for BOS IMO.


Connecting thru ATL on WN generally doesn't require a change of concourse (unless its INTL to domestic) meaning less walking to your connection gate. WN is consolidated on the southend of C concourse. More gates/space then they currently have in BNA.


I think ATL currently offers a couple more connections than BNA, but with BNA growing, that may be negated.

I would take anything, beggars can't be choosers but going to ATL would really get Delta's goat considering XNA sees a lot of those old AirTran 717s via Delta

I guess I would love to see SLC/XNA on a regional and LAX/XNA on an A220 from Delta one day even at the cost of one of the AA frequencies because I believe competition is best.
 
superjeff
Posts: 1294
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:10 pm

CitrusCritter wrote:
The bleed to TUL and LIT will stop when someone comes in with stimulus through seats and lower fares, whether it’s WN or F9 or someone else. Very little hope given how F9 and NK operate though. Yet another example of the downside of consolidation.



I'm amazed that it took this long to mention this. I live in Dallas, and when I travel to XNA, my contacts there all say that they have to drive to TUL because the fares are so high. During the week, from DFW, I've paid as much as $800 for a round trip DFW-XNA-DFW in Economy, which is ludicrous. That's why AA, DL, and UA love the place - they can command ridiculous fares. If Southwest goes in, I don't think it will lower fares (they're really not a low fare leader these days anymore), but you might reduce service on the Legacies. F9 may make some sense, since they're there already and have the ULLC market; perhaps Allegiant as well. But I don't think Southwest brings much to the table except for reputation.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 pm

superjeff wrote:
CitrusCritter wrote:
The bleed to TUL and LIT will stop when someone comes in with stimulus through seats and lower fares, whether it’s WN or F9 or someone else. Very little hope given how F9 and NK operate though. Yet another example of the downside of consolidation.



I'm amazed that it took this long to mention this. I live in Dallas, and when I travel to XNA, my contacts there all say that they have to drive to TUL because the fares are so high. During the week, from DFW, I've paid as much as $800 for a round trip DFW-XNA-DFW in Economy, which is ludicrous. That's why AA, DL, and UA love the place - they can command ridiculous fares. If Southwest goes in, I don't think it will lower fares (they're really not a low fare leader these days anymore), but you might reduce service on the Legacies. F9 may make some sense, since they're there already and have the ULLC market; perhaps Allegiant as well. But I don't think Southwest brings much to the table except for reputation.


In previous year versions of this thread, it has been stated that XNA expects that they lose at least 20% bleed to mainly to TUL but I have had co workers drive elsewhere to take international flights. I suspect that 80% of those going to Tulsa are flying Southwest, I have on many occasions,.especially to LAS. Going to see The Who in May this way. 20% now almost equates to 200k more enplanements. I'm not doing the math on how many a day that is and how many WN 737-700s that equals. That is strictly for Benton and Washington Cos. Not if they pulled from elsewhere.

Fares arebnot near as outrageous as it once was but it is high. Planning in advance is key at XNA. Where there is competition, the price is rock bottom all things considered, we are going to NYC in June and our fare options range from $200 to 250 for noonstop R/T for basic on every carrier, AA/UA/DL.
Comfort + on Delta runs 360 to 400.

I can fly nonstop to DFW in June this far out for 250 and LAX for 309 on AA using basic.
 
jb1087xna
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Fares arebnot near as outrageous as it once was but it is high. Planning in advance is key at XNA. Where there is competition, the price is rock bottom all things considered, we are going to NYC in June and our fare options range from $200 to 250 for noonstop R/T for basic on every carrier, AA/UA/DL.
Comfort + on Delta runs 360 to 400.

I can fly nonstop to DFW in June this far out for 250 and LAX for 309 on AA using basic.


Timing is definitely the key. I can't speak to last minute business travel....but when I've booked lesiure travel ~3 months out, I've paid maybe $50-$100 more than something out of TUL or MCI for domestic travel. I'm solo and for me, a 90 minute (TUL) or especially 3 hour (MCI) drive aren't worth saving that. I get it if there are 2 adults and ~2 kids...that adds up. But for an individual ticket, I think if you're generally flexible in your dates and with enough notice, the fares are still higher, but as you mentioned, not really "outrageous".
Obviously non of that would apply to last minute business travel, though I do have a friend who travels here semi-regularly for work with only 2-3 weeks notice and he has mentioned that even those fares aren't what they used to be.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 am

jb1087xna wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
Fares arebnot near as outrageous as it once was but it is high. Planning in advance is key at XNA. Where there is competition, the price is rock bottom all things considered, we are going to NYC in June and our fare options range from $200 to 250 for noonstop R/T for basic on every carrier, AA/UA/DL.
Comfort + on Delta runs 360 to 400.

I can fly nonstop to DFW in June this far out for 250 and LAX for 309 on AA using basic.


Timing is definitely the key. I can't speak to last minute business travel....but when I've booked lesiure travel ~3 months out, I've paid maybe $50-$100 more than something out of TUL or MCI for domestic travel. I'm solo and for me, a 90 minute (TUL) or especially 3 hour (MCI) drive aren't worth saving that. I get it if there are 2 adults and ~2 kids...that adds up. But for an individual ticket, I think if you're generally flexible in your dates and with enough notice, the fares are still higher, but as you mentioned, not really "outrageous".
Obviously non of that would apply to last minute business travel, though I do have a friend who travels here semi-regularly for work with only 2-3 weeks notice and he has mentioned that even those fares aren't what they used to be.


My same travel dates in June out of Tulsa run about 100 dollars higher for NYC for connecting flights in Basic on AA, now for LAX, it is 289 for a round trip nonstop on AA, 20 bucks cheaper, but a 2 hr drive, 20 bucks in gas, 6 bucks toll and parking for 7 days. Not worth it for a family of four as we can be dropped off and picked with ease at XNA.
 
sfjeff
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:46 pm

I was looking at the two terminal maps of XNA on the airport website, flyxna.com. The maps confirmed what I already knew, which is that the upper level concourse with jetways is Concourse A and the lower level concourse is Concourse B. However, the flight information page shows a UA flight leaving from Gate C2 and another UA flight leaving from Gate C3. Where are these gates located? Also what gate does Frontier use? Is Allegiant the only airline using Concourse B?
Jeff in Málaga
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:11 pm

I'm not 100% but that is downstairs to the left after security. On the map it's called departure lounge at lower level B Gates, basically no jet bridges, just air stairs.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm

I wanted to post this article that's nearly half a year old just because it points to stuff we'll be hearing about in late summer and early fall in regards to more gates, a club for business traveler, ect.
https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/aug ... illion-in/


This follow on, says the airport is nearing full capacity at existing gates and it has now become a hindrance on landing new service. It mentions up to 8 new gates

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/sep ... rport-get/


And this one is from this month
http://arkrealestate.com/xna-planning-m ... me-change/


The sentiment seems to be "Get'r Done!"
 
CitrusCritter
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:36 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:38 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
I wanted to post this article that's nearly half a year old just because it points to stuff we'll be hearing about in late summer and early fall in regards to more gates, a club for business traveler, ect.
https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/aug ... illion-in/


This follow on, says the airport is nearing full capacity at existing gates and it has now become a hindrance on landing new service. It mentions up to 8 new gates

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/sep ... rport-get/


And this one is from this month
http://arkrealestate.com/xna-planning-m ... me-change/


The sentiment seems to be "Get'r Done!"


Certainly positive news, and I would think these are all part of a strategy to capture passengers fleeing elsewhere in a bid to land WN.

Hearsay, but I understand the airport director recently spoke to a business group and doubted the airport’s ability to land WN. It was reported to me that he said that WN required at least 9 daily flights to open a station and that XNA cannot support that.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA
 
jplatts
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm

CitrusCritter wrote:
Certainly positive news, and I would think these are all part of a strategy to capture passengers fleeing elsewhere in a bid to land WN.

Hearsay, but I understand the airport director recently spoke to a business group and doubted the airport’s ability to land WN. It was reported to me that he said that WN required at least 9 daily flights to open a station and that XNA cannot support that.


WN had actually opened some contiguous U.S. stations with fewer than 9 daily departures, including ABQ, AMA, AUS, BOI, CHS, CLT, MDW, CVG, CMH, CRP, DSM, ELP, FLL, GRR, GSP, HRL, MCI, LIT, LGB, LBB, MAF, MSP, BNA, LGA, EWR, OKC, ONT, ECP, PDX, PWM, RIC, ROC, SAT, SAN, SEA, GEG, TUS, TUL, DCA, and ICT.

Most of the WN stations that opened with fewer than 9 daily departures opened with at least 7 daily departures on WN, and many of these stations also now have more than 9 daily departures on WN.

WN might be willing to open XNA with fewer than 9 daily departures if there is enough demand for at least 7 daily departures out of XNA on WN since WN opened ECP, CHS, GSP, and CVG with fewer than 9 daily departures in the 2010's.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Little Rock on June 1st 2020, 2x STL, 2x DAL, 1x Hou, 1x PHX, 1x LAS for a total of 7. There are others like ICT that offer less to less destinations, just saying. If XNA can not support that why in the world do they want 8 more gates. At near the same results of the past two years, XNA passes LIT. Again, the projected pop of just the two county area in 2040 is 800k. It is around 600k at the moment. If this was the case, WN will never expand markets in the 48 again.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Just some quick glancing and it's just that, nothing scientific, XNA looks to have surpassed COS, ICT, ISP, DAY in 2019 when the numbers are out, likely a top 100 airport in enplanements
 
jplatts
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:21 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
If XNA can not support that why in the world do they want 8 more gates.


There are probably some additional nonstop routes that might be added out XNA by AS, DL, and UA to destinations that probably would not be served nonstop by WN out of XNA, including the following:
XNA-SEA on AS
XNA-BOS/DTW/SLC on DL
XNA-IAD on UA
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:38 pm

You know, Brockman from MEM hinted on the podcast I linked that Airlines(Delta) what to serve MEM/BOS with mainline, we saw that at play with the SLC service being mainline for MEM. So, if DL ever added BOS/XNA would it be mainline as well and how does that stack with the LGA service on the larger regional birds? XNA has a long way to go to get to even MEM level traffic. I don't see SEA on AS for a long time to come.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Little Rock on June 1st 2020, 2x STL, 2x DAL, 1x Hou, 1x PHX, 1x LAS for a total of 7. There are others like ICT that offer less to less destinations, just saying. If XNA can not support that why in the world do they want 8 more gates. At near the same results of the past two years, XNA passes LIT. Again, the projected pop of just the two county area in 2040 is 800k. It is around 600k at the moment. If this was the case, WN will never expand markets in the 48 again.


There are only 8 contiguous U.S. airports with WN service that carried fewer domestic passengers than XNA did in the November 2018 - October 2019 time period, and these 8 airports are ICT, ISP, MAF, ECP, LBB, AMA, HRL, and CRP.

WN isn't certainly done expanding in the contiguous U.S. as WN will still add some more new nonstop routes between existing WN stations in the contiguous U.S. and as there have been some individuals who had mentioned WN possibly adding service to a few additional contiguous U.S. destinations such as COS and FAT.
 
jplatts
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
I don't see SEA on AS for a long time to come.


AS can operate XNA-SEA nonstop service on E-175 regional jets as XNA-SEA nonstop service is within the range of E-175 regional jets. AS also already operates DAL-SEA nonstop service (which is a longer nonstop route than XNA-SEA) on E-175 regional jets.

AS even previously had regional jets on its MKE-SEA nonstop route, which is even longer than DAL-SEA, but AS has since upgauged MKE-SEA nonstop service to mainline.

I had mentioned AS adding XNA-SEA nonstop service as a possibility due to (a) a few of Walmart's vendors being located in the Seattle area, (b) Walmart having stores in Washington State and Alaska, and (c) Walmart having some employees in Washington State and Alaska who might need to travel to Walmart's headquarters in Bentonville, AR.

I am unsure if there is enough demand for XNA-SEA nonstop service as the PDEW on XNA-SEA was 39 passengers/day in Q3 2019, but there might possibly be enough demand to support AS XNA-SEA nonstop service on E-175 regional jets if AS can stimulate additional demand to SEA from XNA.

I can understand AS not adding XNA-SEA nonstop service in the near future with SEA already having 1-stop connecting options from XNA on AA and UA.
 
WaywardMemphian
Topic Author
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:56 pm

FAT year to date increase in enplanements around the Sept 2019 timeframe was at 11.5 percent for the year. If that held true, that would give it around 951, 700 enplanements for 2019. XNA has announced 922,538 enplanements for 2019, around a 30K difference and a narrowing from 2018 numbers of around 65K. Both look to come in ahead of COS. Just for comparison's sake. Fresno is larger than NWA population wise and it is growing but at lesser rate, I 'm not delving into the economics of it all but I imagine the growth in NWA is more affluent, just an assumption. COS are kinda similar but COS is even closer to Denver than XNA is to Tulsa and it's many choices across the United, Southwest, and Frontier smorgasbord while TUL offers nada outside of WN service to NWA, well seasonal SLC on Delta.

As for your AS theories, I hope so. Too bad they are growing apart from AA as it could have been a nice combo team from XNA.
 
sprxUSA
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:17 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 pm

jplatts wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
I don't see SEA on AS for a long time to come.


AS can operate XNA-SEA nonstop service on E-175 regional jets as XNA-SEA nonstop service is within the range of E-175 regional jets. AS also already operates DAL-SEA nonstop service (which is a longer nonstop route than XNA-SEA) on E-175 regional jets.

AS even previously had regional jets on its MKE-SEA nonstop route, which is even longer than DAL-SEA, but AS has since upgauged MKE-SEA nonstop service to mainline.

I had mentioned AS adding XNA-SEA nonstop service as a possibility due to (a) a few of Walmart's vendors being located in the Seattle area, (b) Walmart having stores in Washington State and Alaska, and (c) Walmart having some employees in Washington State and Alaska who might need to travel to Walmart's headquarters in Bentonville, AR.

I am unsure if there is enough demand for XNA-SEA nonstop service as the PDEW on XNA-SEA was 39 passengers/day in Q3 2019, but there might possibly be enough demand to support AS XNA-SEA nonstop service on E-175 regional jets if AS can stimulate additional demand to SEA from XNA.

I can understand AS not adding XNA-SEA nonstop service in the near future with SEA already having 1-stop connecting options from XNA on AA and UA.

After reading your last sentence, I wonder why the bother of your whole post, as per usual.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"
 
jb1087xna
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:33 pm

sfjeff wrote:
I was looking at the two terminal maps of XNA on the airport website, flyxna.com. The maps confirmed what I already knew, which is that the upper level concourse with jetways is Concourse A and the lower level concourse is Concourse B. However, the flight information page shows a UA flight leaving from Gate C2 and another UA flight leaving from Gate C3. Where are these gates located? Also what gate does Frontier use? Is Allegiant the only airline using Concourse B?


I was through XNA twice this month. They have added two new jet bridges above where the downstairs departure lounge is.....to the left of that store that's straight in-front of you against the terminal wall when you clear security. They've labeled those as B1 and B2. The downstairs gates are now labeled as C gates.
 
jb1087xna
Posts: 457
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:11 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 am

jplatts wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
If XNA can not support that why in the world do they want 8 more gates.


There are probably some additional nonstop routes that might be added out XNA by AS, DL, and UA to destinations that probably would not be served nonstop by WN out of XNA, including the following:
XNA-SEA on AS
XNA-BOS/DTW/SLC on DL
XNA-IAD on UA


Other than AS wanting a gate by themselves (which seems like a big ask for just one flight on a regional jet), I would think those flights could be accommodated in their existing spaces. WN starting service would obviously be the exception to needing gate space.
 
CitrusCritter
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:36 am

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2020

Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:18 pm

jplatts wrote:
CitrusCritter wrote:
Certainly positive news, and I would think these are all part of a strategy to capture passengers fleeing elsewhere in a bid to land WN.

Hearsay, but I understand the airport director recently spoke to a business group and doubted the airport’s ability to land WN. It was reported to me that he said that WN required at least 9 daily flights to open a station and that XNA cannot support that.


WN had actually opened some contiguous U.S. stations with fewer than 9 daily departures, including ABQ, AMA, AUS, BOI, CHS, CLT, MDW, CVG, CMH, CRP, DSM, ELP, FLL, GRR, GSP, HRL, MCI, LIT, LGB, LBB, MAF, MSP, BNA, LGA, EWR, OKC, ONT, ECP, PDX, PWM, RIC, ROC, SAT, SAN, SEA, GEG, TUS, TUL, DCA, and ICT.

Most of the WN stations that opened with fewer than 9 daily departures opened with at least 7 daily departures on WN, and many of these stations also now have more than 9 daily departures on WN.

WN might be willing to open XNA with fewer than 9 daily departures if there is enough demand for at least 7 daily departures out of XNA on WN since WN opened ECP, CHS, GSP, and CVG with fewer than 9 daily departures in the 2010's.


It’s possible that 7 is what they are seeking. Like I said, I heard second hand from a person who is not familiar with aviation issues, so that person may have misheard or misremembered.

Either way, I get the sense that the airport does not feel they can land WN in the short or medium-terms.
- CitrusCritter
Long Live the 717!
XNA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos