Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DEFlyboy
Topic Author

TG926 descending below MDA

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 am

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d1e782d&opt=0

Anyone with more info or a plot of ADS data?

Seems quite a close call.

Admins, pls delete if double posted. Did a search but found nothing.

Christian

N757ST

Re: TG926 descending below MDA

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:31 am

The weather was clear, seems like an unstable approach and go around. I don’t know how unstable they were but on its face that’s not newsworthy, unless they were REALLY unstable.

zeke

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 am

N757ST wrote:
I don’t know how unstable they were but on its face that’s not newsworthy, unless they were REALLY unstable.

My brain matter makes 800 ft at 7 mm about 1430 ft below profile. Air India got lower at Hong Kong, I think down to around 200 ft above water.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=219044
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

N757ST

Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:55 am

zeke wrote:
N757ST wrote:
I don’t know how unstable they were but on its face that’s not newsworthy, unless they were REALLY unstable.

My brain matter makes 800 ft at 7 mm about 1430 ft below profile. Air India got lower at Hong Kong, I think down to around 200 ft above water.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=219044

Yeah the headline was a smaller font that I didn’t see. Yeah that’s a bit low, maybe there was lower terrain over there and they were using their radar altimeter and got down low, but even then you’d usually do that at around 1500agl. They executed a go around, and I’m guessing if their gear wasn’t down they had all kinds of bells and whistles going off.

conaly

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:09 pm

I've plotted the FR24-path (with some minor tweaks/corrections, to match the data from avherald) into Google Earth for another forum and almost fell out of my chair, when I saw the results:

The red lines show the first approach, which went far to steep and was recovered at around 700ft AGL, the green lines show the second normal approach. Damn, how can they fly this steep at such a low altitude? A few more seconds of descend and they'd have crashed into the city (Rüsselsheim). There must have been more than one thing gone wrong.
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: ALG, CTS, FRA, HKG, HND, MSQ, MUC, NUE, TLV, ZRH

pdp

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Assuming they were doing the ILS into 07R, how did they get so low? I do note that there's a VOR and a LOC approach so it's possible (although unlikely) that they could have been doing one of those and lost situational awareness?

SQ325

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:50 pm

looks like they descended into FFM VOR instead of the runway threshold..

ltbewr

Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Could there have been a wrong reading on their instruments, a mistake by automated systems or wrong info input into control systems ? Fortunately someone in the cockpit saw they were too low and called for a go round.

DEFlyboy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Thank you Conaly,

those plots was what I was asking for.

They were quite high initially during the approach it seems?

Hard to see but it seems they were also right of centerline when they dropped below glide. Intercept from the north it seems?

What is Airbus system logic? Can you capture glide without having captured localizer assuming they were still in auto flight.

What is the workload in A350 during possible late runway change? In older Boeing aircraft it takes some steps, especially manually tuning the active ILS frequency and selecting the approach in the FMC. I guess in Airbus it’s more or less a new selection in the FMS? Charts will maybe also load automatically if EFB is interconnected in Airbus types?

Christian

N14AZ

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:05 pm

conaly wrote:
I've plotted the FR24-path (with some minor tweaks/corrections, to match the data from avherald) into Google Earth for another forum and almost fell out of my chair, when I saw the results:

The red lines show the first approach, which went far to steep and was recovered at around 700ft AGL, the green lines show the second normal approach. Damn, how can they fly this steep at such a low altitude? A few more seconds of descend and they'd have crashed into the city (Rüsselsheim). There must have been more than one thing gone wrong.

Wow, looks as if they wanted to have a closer look at the Opel-factory… I was born in this city and went there to high school. Thank you for these pictures.

Karlsands

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 pm

Downdraft ?

DEFlyboy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm

SQ325 wrote:
looks like they descended into FFM VOR instead of the runway threshold..

No it was RWY07R

zeke

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm

DEFlyboy wrote:
What is Airbus system logic? Can you capture glide without having captured localizer assuming they were still in auto flight.

No in order to capture glide slope the loc must be captured.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos