• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
SoCalFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:16 am

Updated: Jetblue trims LGB further

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:33 am

https://paxex.aero/2020/01/jetblue-long ... -city-cut/

Top brass at Jetblue sent out an invite to the base for crew members to come to a meeting tomorrow. This is really odd, usually they do this weeks in advance. We got the email late tonight saying the executive team will be there for a meeting in the morning with the base. Multiple inflight were saying all day they found it odd that we had so much leadership sighting on the LAX flights today, and then the email came out.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:38 am

Wouldn’t make sense for it to be cuts since they’re inviting employees...
 
Blueknows
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:43 am

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... er-Traffic

Numbers are not good, and AVC had a meeting on Monday said news will be released on Thursday...of course no clue
 
SoCalFlyer
Topic Author
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:16 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:46 am

Blueknows wrote:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200113005866/en/JetBlue-Airways-Reports-December-Traffic

Numbers are not good, and AVC had a meeting on Monday said news will be released on Thursday


We thought it was odd that senior inflight leadership all above supervisory level, have been there all week. And this the email came out at dinner time tonight, say the exec team was en route. That’s no coincidence.
 
Blueknows
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:48 am

Yah we’ve heard here on east coast that something is about to drop. We’ve also heard they might be getting rid of lead positions.
 
Blueknows
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:49 am

Management is in a free fall
 
Busyboy2
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:57 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:20 am

Blueknows wrote:
Yah we’ve heard here on east coast that something is about to drop. We’ve also heard they might be getting rid of lead positions.


Preparation for the WN acquisition.
 
N757ST
Posts: 900
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 am

Busyboy2 wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
Yah we’ve heard here on east coast that something is about to drop. We’ve also heard they might be getting rid of lead positions.


Preparation for the WN acquisition.


Simply the airplanes can make more elsewhere. It’s not more complicated then that.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:27 am

Ishrion wrote:
Wouldn’t make sense for it to be cuts since they’re inviting employees...


My guess is they're closing the base and will be offering everyone the chance to transfer somewhere else.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
alasizon
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:32 am

intotheair wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Wouldn’t make sense for it to be cuts since they’re inviting employees...


My guess is they're closing the base and will be offering everyone the chance to transfer somewhere else.


Always a possibility they've figured out how to secure more space at LAX and are choosing to notify everyone that they are moving the base up the road. Unlikely but still possible.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15587
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 am

Not saying it’s related but there’s a big AS employee meeting in SEA tomorrow and rumor is there will be some big announcement. Specifically told not a merger but definitely something media-worthy. Maybe a partnership?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
dstblj52
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:40 am

EA CO AS wrote:
Not saying it’s related but there’s a big AS employee meeting in SEA tomorrow and rumor is there will be some big announcement. Specifically told not a merger but definitely something media-worthy. Maybe a partnership?

Possible both are under quite a lot of pressure from Delta these days and working together might help
 
alasizon
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:43 am

dstblj52 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Not saying it’s related but there’s a big AS employee meeting in SEA tomorrow and rumor is there will be some big announcement. Specifically told not a merger but definitely something media-worthy. Maybe a partnership?

Possible both are under quite a lot of pressure from Delta these days and working together might help


Having LGB be the announcement place wouldn't make sense for that.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15587
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:44 am

It’s worth noting that this AS meeting has been planned for some time, but remarks in a previous meeting (there’s a series of them around the system) indicated something was afoot.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
ScottB
Posts: 6762
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 am

intotheair wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Wouldn’t make sense for it to be cuts since they’re inviting employees...


My guess is they're closing the base and will be offering everyone the chance to transfer somewhere else.


All-hands meetings called by senior management on very short notice are never good. I've been invited to enough of those to know what happens. It's not a big deal if good news leaks -- sometimes there's a publicity benefit from good news going viral. Bad news goes out quickly so the company can control the narrative.
 
hz747300
Posts: 2407
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:00 am

Different industry, but about 15 years ago we had a short notice senior meeting in the office in Bethesda, MD. Everyone who received the invite was let go with four month's notice (pretty generous). We had the opportunity to keep our job by transferring to NY, which I did in the end, and I was able to keep my leaving bonus (they paid a bonus if you didn't quit in the four months because they needed us for operational reasons to stay the four months).

So it could be a good news / bad news. But I read it as bad news--hopefully they are generous enough and it's including a chance to transfer.
Keep on truckin'...
 
FSDan
Posts: 2895
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 am

alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
Not saying it’s related but there’s a big AS employee meeting in SEA tomorrow and rumor is there will be some big announcement. Specifically told not a merger but definitely something media-worthy. Maybe a partnership?

Possible both are under quite a lot of pressure from Delta these days and working together might help


Having LGB be the announcement place wouldn't make sense for that.


Are LGB slots able to be traded/sold directly from one airline to another, or is there no way around the rebidding process? I wonder if AS would see an opportunity to put B6's LGB slot portfolio to better use...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
AAflyguy
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:59 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:12 am

FSDan wrote:
alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
Possible both are under quite a lot of pressure from Delta these days and working together might help


Having LGB be the announcement place wouldn't make sense for that.


Are LGB slots able to be traded/sold directly from one airline to another, or is there no way around the rebidding process? I wonder if AS would see an opportunity to put B6's LGB slot portfolio to better use...


Slots are the property of the City, not the airline. So there is no trading. They are relinquished by the airline and the airport will enact its process to allocate those slots to others. They just did this for 3 slots. So it’s going to be a big deal if there are now 20 or so on the table for the taking. WN will want them all.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2218
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:15 am

AAflyguy wrote:
FSDan wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Having LGB be the announcement place wouldn't make sense for that.


Are LGB slots able to be traded/sold directly from one airline to another, or is there no way around the rebidding process? I wonder if AS would see an opportunity to put B6's LGB slot portfolio to better use...


Slots are the property of the City, not the airline. So there is no trading. They are relinquished by the airline and the airport will enact its process to allocate those slots to others. They just did this for 3 slots. So it’s going to be a big deal if there are now 20 or so on the table for the taking. WN will want them all.


Not sure if WN can afford to take on all the slots from an airframe perspective.

I definitely think this has to do with the closure/downsizing/significant modification to the base.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
SWADawg
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 am

alasizon wrote:
AAflyguy wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Are LGB slots able to be traded/sold directly from one airline to another, or is there no way around the rebidding process? I wonder if AS would see an opportunity to put B6's LGB slot portfolio to better use...


Slots are the property of the City, not the airline. So there is no trading. They are relinquished by the airline and the airport will enact its process to allocate those slots to others. They just did this for 3 slots. So it’s going to be a big deal if there are now 20 or so on the table for the taking. WN will want them all.


Not sure if WN can afford to take on all the slots from an airframe perspective.

I definitely think this has to do with the closure/downsizing/significant modification to the base.

It would depend on how soon B6 relinquished the remainder of their slots (assuming that’s what’s happening). Theoretically, if the slots weren’t available until Summer, there’s a small chance that the MAX is flying by then and WN would have enough spare aircraft to take on these vacated slots.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:22 am

I bet UA might be interested in some LGB slots. They're growing like crazy everywhere. If they're adding places like SMX, why not LGB if the opportunity comes up?
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
11C
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:30 am

FSDan wrote:
alasizon wrote:
dstblj52 wrote:
Possible both are under quite a lot of pressure from Delta these days and working together might help


Having LGB be the announcement place wouldn't make sense for that.


Are LGB slots able to be traded/sold directly from one airline to another, or is there no way around the rebidding process? I wonder if AS would see an opportunity to put B6's LGB slot portfolio to better use...


Hasn’t Alaska had plenty of opportunity? What would be different now?
 
KlimaBXsst
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 am

B6 E195 fleet d/b/a as Alaska in a JV of LGB.
You heard it first (:
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!
 
User avatar
acavpics
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 am

With B6 downsizing LGB, have they pretty much given up on having any sort of station on the west coast?
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4303
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:03 am

Could it be they might be looking t moving to LAX? and they don't want the Employees to hear it on MSNBC, CNBC or Fox Business?
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 am

KlimaBXsst wrote:
B6 E195 fleet d/b/a as Alaska in a JV of LGB.
You heard it first (:


Haha B6 as a regional. Would be a real home run w that cost structure.
 
jonair8
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:10 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:25 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Could it be they might be looking t moving to LAX? and they don't want the Employees to hear it on MSNBC, CNBC or Fox Business?


I don't even think LAX has enough gates for B6 to do that in the near future. Unfortunately, I think this may be the end for a west coast focus city for B6. BUR and SNA don't have the space, and it seems as if ONT doesn't have the market. ONT caters too much toward the IE and not enough toward LA itself.
 
phllax
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:11 am

jonair8 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Could it be they might be looking t moving to LAX? and they don't want the Employees to hear it on MSNBC, CNBC or Fox Business?


I don't even think LAX has enough gates for B6 to do that in the near future. Unfortunately, I think this may be the end for a west coast focus city for B6. BUR and SNA don't have the space, and it seems as if ONT doesn't have the market. ONT caters too much toward the IE and not enough toward LA itself.


Actually BUR does have some space. Their gate is only used 3x daily max, plus there is some room to use the B gates as there are only a max of 21 flights out of 5 gates broken down as follows: 5 DL flights, 8 UA flights, 2 NK flights and 6 AS flights. The problem is security and only 1 lane.

ONT has room, and a market. Listen to the interview Crankyflier did with their CEO last week. They pull from as far West as the 710 and into Orange County.

LAX is CUTE now, but they have access to 3 gates, which are prett maxed out, especially in the mornings. Nothing has been settled with the MIdfield concourse, but rumors are at least 5 gates.

SNA could be interesting. Technically there is space. Most airlines, especially WN have permanent and temporary slots. If there is a new entrant, then the temp slots go away to the new entrant. That is why WN has cut flights of late, they've had to give them back to other airlines. They award/take back slots twice annually, based on traffic counts (SNA's slots are based on a max pax cap, not a flight cap), so this could be a possibility. Overnight parking could be an issue, and of course the curfew is a hard close here.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:23 am

phllax wrote:
jonair8 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Could it be they might be looking t moving to LAX? and they don't want the Employees to hear it on MSNBC, CNBC or Fox Business?


I don't even think LAX has enough gates for B6 to do that in the near future. Unfortunately, I think this may be the end for a west coast focus city for B6. BUR and SNA don't have the space, and it seems as if ONT doesn't have the market. ONT caters too much toward the IE and not enough toward LA itself.


Actually BUR does have some space. Their gate is only used 3x daily max, plus there is some room to use the B gates as there are only a max of 21 flights out of 5 gates broken down as follows: 5 DL flights, 8 UA flights, 2 NK flights and 6 AS flights. The problem is security and only 1 lane.

ONT has room, and a market. Listen to the interview Crankyflier did with their CEO last week. They pull from as far West as the 710 and into Orange County.

LAX is CUTE now, but they have access to 3 gates, which are prett maxed out, especially in the mornings. Nothing has been settled with the MIdfield concourse, but rumors are at least 5 gates.

SNA could be interesting. Technically there is space. Most airlines, especially WN have permanent and temporary slots. If there is a new entrant, then the temp slots go away to the new entrant. That is why WN has cut flights of late, they've had to give them back to other airlines. They award/take back slots twice annually, based on traffic counts (SNA's slots are based on a max pax cap, not a flight cap), so this could be a possibility. Overnight parking could be an issue, and of course the curfew is a hard close here.



A split of LGB ops between BUR, SAN and LAX are more plausible and could all be consistent in MINT service being higher yielding stations. LGB never has nor never will be that station as it has always been low yielding. BUR has more growth space, the flights to BOS are gradually gaining momentum little by little, the JFK flights are one of the highest performing/yielding, they’ve upgauged not only to 2 daily, but have now added 321n ops on the flights.

LAX should open up to 1 or two additional gates for B6 with the MidField Concourse opening in the near future.

SAN would see a bump in flights as they have been adding and upgauging service and equipment.

SNA at this point no way. They would not pack up and move from one super restrictive airport to one that is even more restrictive. While they would pay fines for landing after curfew which they are notorious for, SNA doesn’t fine, they divert your ass post curfew to LAX. Let’s not also forget that you cannot ever have a consistent operation from year to year based on the annual SNA slot/annual per seat-allotments. Look at WN. They went from like 51 daily slots to I believe now 22.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120
 
User avatar
DarkSnowyNight
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 am

intotheair wrote:

My guess is they're closing the base and will be offering everyone the chance to transfer somewhere else.


To FedEx or AA...

acavpics wrote:
With B6 downsizing LGB, have they pretty much given up on having any sort of station on the west coast?


LAX is as large an operation now as LGB, so I would not say that, no.


alasizon wrote:
intotheair wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Wouldn’t make sense for it to be cuts since they’re inviting employees...


My guess is they're closing the base and will be offering everyone the chance to transfer somewhere else.


Always a possibility they've figured out how to secure more space at LAX and are choosing to notify everyone that they are moving the base up the road. Unlikely but still possible.


They may be getting more space at LAX, but there will not be base transfers and/or hires there. I would rather not be specific, but I am extremely confident WRT that detail...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."
 
Blueknows
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:57 am

meeting with senior leadership at 9:30am at LGB
 
icebird757
Posts: 423
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2001 7:53 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:12 pm

It’s not a closing of the station.
I kick chocks
 
Blueknows
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:17 pm

icebird757 wrote:
It’s not a closing of the station.

Queen Joanna to the rescue
 
icebird757
Posts: 423
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2001 7:53 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Blueknows wrote:
icebird757 wrote:
It’s not a closing of the station.

Queen Joanna to the rescue

I wouldn’t call her that but ok.
I kick chocks
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:06 pm

reduction to a spoke

Base stays because of LAX

Put it in the books...
 
CaptCoolHand
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:26 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
reduction to a spoke

Base stays because of LAX

Put it in the books...


I’d bet on this as well. Along with a reduction in flights at LGB. 15ish.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:45 pm

CaptCoolHand wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
reduction to a spoke

Base stays because of LAX

Put it in the books...


I’d bet on this as well. Along with a reduction in flights at LGB. 15ish.


Not even close sadly


To recap:

This day was always coming

The relationship between the city and the airline was just toxic...Im not sure why as they were the largest employer at the airport in a city that needs large employers

This forum and Long Beach are about to find out what demand for those slots is, particularly from WN

I suspect, down the road, this whole mess will be looked on with regret by the City Council. They will have a beautiful new terminal and a lot less passengers to pay for it
 
Blueknows
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 pm

icebird757 wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
icebird757 wrote:
It’s not a closing of the station.

Queen Joanna to the rescue

I wouldn’t call her that but ok.


I was joking about that. Ever since Marty left everything has been going downhill. This whole 19 flights a day to BOS-DCA. B6 is just getting slowly picked off on routes we used to dominate. No strategy other then make money for the share holders.
 
twinotter
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:13 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 pm

Blueknows wrote:
No strategy other then make money for the share holders.


Quelle horreur.
 
User avatar
ChrisNH38
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:28 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

The relationship between the city and the airline was just toxic...Im not sure why as they were the largest employer at the airport in a city that needs large employers

This forum and Long Beach are about to find out what demand for those slots is, particularly from WN

I suspect, down the road, this whole mess will be looked on with regret by the City Council. They will have a beautiful new terminal and a lot less passengers to pay for it


:checkmark: :checkmark: This. LGB seemed to be an enclave of NIMBYs. And in reality, the 'noise' from today's aircraft have nothing on the DC-8s and DC-9s that came out of there. Wasn't much whining then.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH
 
sxf24
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:30 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
B6 E195 fleet d/b/a as Alaska in a JV of LGB.
You heard it first (:


Haha B6 as a regional. Would be a real home run w that cost structure.


B6 has higher costs than AS, so I don’t see that working.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1202
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:38 pm

sxf24 wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:
B6 E195 fleet d/b/a as Alaska in a JV of LGB.
You heard it first (:


Haha B6 as a regional. Would be a real home run w that cost structure.


B6 has higher costs than AS, so I don’t see that working.


That was sar-CASM.
 
catiii
Posts: 3285
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Blueknows wrote:
icebird757 wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
Queen Joanna to the rescue

I wouldn’t call her that but ok.


I was joking about that. Ever since Marty left everything has been going downhill. This whole 19 flights a day to BOS-DCA. B6 is just getting slowly picked off on routes we used to dominate. No strategy other then make money for the share holders.


First off Joanna isn’t out there. Second off the BOS strategy was in place before Marty St. George left. Third, shareholder return is every airline’s strategy. You probably sit over in LSC whining about how great Delta is. They’re great because they deliver for their shareholders.

What routes is JetBlue “getting picked off on routes that we used to dominate?” SJU with massive OAL capacity adds and still “dominating?”
Last edited by catiii on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1754
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:01 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
reduction to a spoke

Base stays because of LAX

Put it in the books...


I’d bet on this as well. Along with a reduction in flights at LGB. 15ish.


Not even close sadly


To recap:

This day was always coming

The relationship between the city and the airline was just toxic...Im not sure why as they were the largest employer at the airport in a city that needs large employers

This forum and Long Beach are about to find out what demand for those slots is, particularly from WN

I suspect, down the road, this whole mess will be looked on with regret by the City Council. They will have a beautiful new terminal and a lot less passengers to pay for it

Rumor
LGB-AUS 1
LGB-JFK 1
LGB-BOS 1 red eye
LGB-SLC 3

We shall see?
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
Blueknows
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:11 pm

catiii wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
icebird757 wrote:
I wouldn’t call her that but ok.


I was joking about that. Ever since Marty left everything has been going downhill. This whole 19 flights a day to BOS-DCA. B6 is just getting slowly picked off on routes we used to dominate. No strategy other then make money for the share holders.


First off Joanna isn’t out there. Second off the BOS strategy was in place before Marty St. George left. Third, shareholder return is every airline’s strategy. You probably sit over in LSC whining about how great Delta is. They’re great because they deliver for their shareholders.

What routes is JetBlue “getting picked off on routes that we used to dominate?” SJU with massive OAL capacity adds and still “dominating?”



First off I work in Airports. Second LSC is gone after the lease is up. They are going to move everything to OSC, and only leave small offices in JFK AREA. Take a moment and look at routings. RDU-BOS ( dL-6 /B6-6/aa-3/f9-1). We need to look at more opportunities.
Last edited by Blueknows on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:13 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:

I’d bet on this as well. Along with a reduction in flights at LGB. 15ish.


Not even close sadly


To recap:

This day was always coming

The relationship between the city and the airline was just toxic...Im not sure why as they were the largest employer at the airport in a city that needs large employers

This forum and Long Beach are about to find out what demand for those slots is, particularly from WN

I suspect, down the road, this whole mess will be looked on with regret by the City Council. They will have a beautiful new terminal and a lot less passengers to pay for it

Rumor
LGB-AUS 1
LGB-JFK 1
LGB-BOS 1 red eye
LGB-SLC 3

We shall see?
Flyguy

Are those additions, or what will be left?
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
cpl22586
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

Blueknows wrote:
catiii wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

I was joking about that. Ever since Marty left everything has been going downhill. This whole 19 flights a day to BOS-DCA. B6 is just getting slowly picked off on routes we used to dominate. No strategy other then make money for the share holders.


First off Joanna isn’t out there. Second off the BOS strategy was in place before Marty St. George left. Third, shareholder return is every airline’s strategy. You probably sit over in LSC whining about how great Delta is. They’re great because they deliver for their shareholders.

What routes is JetBlue “getting picked off on routes that we used to dominate?” SJU with massive OAL capacity adds and still “dominating?”



First off I work in Airports. Second LSC is gone after the lease is up. They are going to move everything to OSC, and only leave small offices in JFK AREA. Take a moment and look at routings. RDU-BOS ( dL-6 /B6-6/as-3/f9-1). We need to look at more opportunities.


That statement about LSC gone after the lease is up isn’t completely accurate they still haven’t made a decision yet. The rumors are that they would keep the SOC and possibly consolidate some of the other departments maybe have people work from home so they wouldn’t need all 3 floors.
 
wnflyguy
Posts: 1754
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:23 pm

KLMatSJC wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Not even close sadly


To recap:

This day was always coming

The relationship between the city and the airline was just toxic...Im not sure why as they were the largest employer at the airport in a city that needs large employers

This forum and Long Beach are about to find out what demand for those slots is, particularly from WN

I suspect, down the road, this whole mess will be looked on with regret by the City Council. They will have a beautiful new terminal and a lot less passengers to pay for it

Rumor
LGB-AUS 1
LGB-JFK 1
LGB-BOS 1 red eye
LGB-SLC 3

We shall see?
Flyguy

Are those additions, or what will be left?

What's left is my understanding.
It will free up a lot of aircraft to increase their BOS strong hold.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.
 
united75x
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:01 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Anyone know when today this meeting is supposed to happen?
 
ScottB
Posts: 6762
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
it’s going to be a big deal if there are now 20 or so on the table for the taking. WN will want them all.


I don't think WN takes them all. They might want another 6-10 to beef up the existing network (i.e. 1-2 more daily flights to OAK/SJC/SMF/LAS and making DEN daily, maybe adding PHX) but I doubt the market will support that large of an expansion.

ChrisNH38 wrote:
in reality, the 'noise' from today's aircraft have nothing on the DC-8s and DC-9s that came out of there. Wasn't much whining then.


The Douglas aircraft factory provided a bunch of well-paying manufacturing jobs to people who lived in Long Beach. An airline base supporting 30-40 daily flights doesn't have anywhere near that economic impact.

jfklganyc wrote:
The relationship between the city and the airline was just toxic...Im not sure why as they were the largest employer at the airport in a city that needs large employers

This forum and Long Beach are about to find out what demand for those slots is, particularly from WN

I suspect, down the road, this whole mess will be looked on with regret by the City Council. They will have a beautiful new terminal and a lot less passengers to pay for it


The economic value of the B6 base at LGB really comes down to how many of the pilots, and less so flight attendants, were living in Long Beach. Most of the ground crew jobs don't pay much more than retail or restaurants. The toxicity goes both ways. For whatever reason, B6 didn't try very hard not to bust the curfew on a regular basis. How stupid is that? I mean, the entire slot regime at LGB is based on a Noise Ordinance.

I can't fault B6 for reducing the number of flights at LGB for economic reasons before WN came in -- if they weren't making money (or even enough money) that's a rational response for a business. But it is crummy to squat on slots which aren't being used, especially when there are other carriers interested in slots. As I said above, I don't think WN takes anywhere near all of the slots B6 appears likely to vacate -- but I think the overall level of service will be at or above where it was when WN announced it would enter LGB in 2016. And that's probably enough to keep per-passenger expenses for the new terminal at a reasonable level.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos