Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EWR22LAS25

Re: Jetblue senior leadership meeting at LGB

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:

I’d bet on this as well. Along with a reduction in flights at LGB. 15ish.

Not even close sadly

To recap:

This day was always coming

The relationship between the city and the airline was just toxic...Im not sure why as they were the largest employer at the airport in a city that needs large employers

This forum and Long Beach are about to find out what demand for those slots is, particularly from WN

I suspect, down the road, this whole mess will be looked on with regret by the City Council. They will have a beautiful new terminal and a lot less passengers to pay for it

Rumor
LGB-AUS 1
LGB-JFK 1
LGB-BOS 1 red eye
LGB-SLC 3

We shall see?
Flyguy

It's ironic to me that the biggest frequency will be to SLC where 30% of the LF consists of non-rev pax.

JoseSalazar

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:34 pm

Should have held on and made it just a 220 base, with a small 321 crew base at LAX. Would have been a lot lower CASM and easier to break even/make money/preserve market share, and probably a lot better for the NIMBYs, as those things are way quieter than A320CEOs.

N757ST

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:35 pm

united75x wrote:
Anyone know when today this meeting is supposed to happen?

9:30 PST

N757ST

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:
Should have held on and made it just a 220 base, with a small 321 crew base at LAX. Would have been a lot lower CASM and easier to break even/make money/preserve market share, and probably a lot better for the NIMBYs, as those things are way quieter than A320CEOs.

There are other plans for the a220. I doubt the LGB city council would budge. They didn’t budge allowing the e90 to use regional slots, they didn’t budge with the customs building. Hey, but look on the bright side, there’s the possibility on the horizon of a lot less airplane noise.

Blueknows

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:41 pm

9:30am

Blueknows

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:43 pm

The rent is crazy at LSC. Also starting in APRIL all workers at JFK/LGA/EWR will get a pay increase. All employees go to starting rate 19hr. That’s per port authority. B6 is not happy about that

catiii

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Blueknows wrote:
catiii wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

I was joking about that. Ever since Marty left everything has been going downhill. This whole 19 flights a day to BOS-DCA. B6 is just getting slowly picked off on routes we used to dominate. No strategy other then make money for the share holders.

First off Joanna isn’t out there. Second off the BOS strategy was in place before Marty St. George left. Third, shareholder return is every airline’s strategy. You probably sit over in LSC whining about how great Delta is. They’re great because they deliver for their shareholders.

What routes is JetBlue “getting picked off on routes that we used to dominate?” SJU with massive OAL capacity adds and still “dominating?”

First off I work in Airports. Second LSC is gone after the lease is up. They are going to move everything to OSC, and only leave small offices in JFK AREA. Take a moment and look at routings. RDU-BOS ( dL-6 /B6-6/aa-3/f9-1). We need to look at more opportunities.

Oh it is huh? That statement right there shows how little you actually know then...

Your response to OAL capacity adds in RDU is what exactly? I do take a look at the routings. Interested to hear what your “analysis” is because thus far all you seem to “know” are falsehoods and misinformation.
Last edited by catiii on Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wnflyguy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:47 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:

JetBlue already expressed interest about SNA with the A220.
It's got the payload and legs to make SNA-BOS/JFK.
Brings a Much higher yelling passenger.
LGB will stay A small spoke city most likely until the arrival of the A220 and SNA.
Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Blueknows

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 pm

catiii wrote:
Blueknows wrote:
catiii wrote:

First off Joanna isn’t out there. Second off the BOS strategy was in place before Marty St. George left. Third, shareholder return is every airline’s strategy. You probably sit over in LSC whining about how great Delta is. They’re great because they deliver for their shareholders.

What routes is JetBlue “getting picked off on routes that we used to dominate?” SJU with massive OAL capacity adds and still “dominating?”

First off I work in Airports. Second LSC is gone after the lease is up. They are going to move everything to OSC, and only leave small offices in JFK AREA. Take a moment and look at routings. RDU-BOS ( dL-6 /B6-6/aa-3/f9-1). We need to look at more opportunities.

Oh it is huh? That statement right there shows how little you actually know then...

Your response to OAL capacity adds in RDU is what exactly? I do take a look at the routings. Interested to hear what your “analysis” is because thus far all you seem to “know” are falsehoods and misinformation.

What department do you work again

catiii

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 pm

Blueknows wrote:
The rent is crazy at LSC. Also starting in APRIL all workers at JFK/LGA/EWR will get a pay increase. All employees go to starting rate 19hr. That’s per port authority. B6 is not happy about that

Look at the market comps. It’s not as “crazy” as you believe.

Oh wait you haven’t looked at the market comps have you.

tphuang

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Can we just stay on topic here and wait for the news to come out?

Blueknows

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Off to park a delayed plane...good luck

EWR22LAS25

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:56 pm

catiii wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Jesus Christ, listen to you two.

Having worked at Blue, I can tell you that Airports, Flight Ops, and Inflight are notorious for having bad info and speculation that they "heard" from an insider - i.e., their TLC. Everyone at that company thinks they know better.
Marty was an amazing executive. The problems weren't his fault, and the ones that continue aren't his fault.
B6 isn't leaving NY for Orlando. Orlando was in play 10 years ago because it was the focus of the company. Blue is a northeastern company with a focus on a well-off northeastern customer. That building and their image is as important to the company as any part of their product. They will find other ways to generate revenue to pay for it. Will they open other offices to place strategic people? Yes. But they're not moving their headquarters.

wetpantsmcgee

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're going to outsource all ground/CSA staff @ LGB. I hate the idea but it could lower costs enough to keep service there.

N757ST

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:04 pm

wetpantsmcgee wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they're going to outsource all ground/CSA staff @ LGB. I hate the idea but it could lower costs enough to keep service there.

Jetblue doesn’t outsource CSA staff. Over a certain threshold they usually insource airport operations.

N757ST

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:09 pm

Blueknows wrote:
catiii wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

What department do you work again

Blue knows... I’d send you a private message if this whole site actually worked worth a damn on any device I own, so at the risk of deletion.... having seen your posts often over the years I have deduced that you tend to post rumor as fact here, like saying it’s a fact that LSC is moving etc. Rumors fly all the time, they aren’t fact and you shouldn’t state them as such. You are a cog in a big machine just like the rest of us, so take rumors that you here or your analysis abilities with a bit less hubris. And yes, I too am a cog in the same machine but in flight ops.

richierich

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Blueknows wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude but there is a lot that goes into making decisions about routes and where facilities are located. I don't know specifics about B6 but I'm going to guess they don't make these decisions based on gut feelings or innuendo.

There are so many factors that go into adding a route, not adding a route, adding capacity, reducing capacity; there's a lot of analytics involved. It doesn't always work out as expected, and that is why all airlines continually make schedule changes and add/eliminate routes and cities.
It's the same with corporate offices...B6 gets a lot of mileage from being based in NYC, I personally don't see that changing when the lease is up (anybody know when that is?) In fact, I would tend to bet that they remain at their current HQ office in Queens, although there may be some changes in the size of the footprint. What that will look like is anybody's guess. There are a lot of factors that go into selecting a HQ, cost being the biggest but hardly the only one. So unless you are involved in the process - I doubt you are - then there is no reason to spew off speculation as fact.

In LGB, the B6 writing has been on the wall for some time, and this may be either a continued draw-down of both services and routes, or it could be a complete closure. That's assuming that there is even bad news being delivered today. A complete Jetblue withdrawal from LGB seems a bit drastic to me, so somewhere in the middle might be more realistic. Even a small reduction is too bad because I actually like LGB airport, even if B6 doesn't. I've passed through a couple of times and it is a pleasure - one of the nicest small airports in the USA, in my opinion.
None shall pass!!!!

flyby519

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:18 pm

richierich wrote:
I personally don't see that changing when the lease is up (anybody know when that is?)

LSC, SSC, DCO, JSC all expire in 2022-2023

catiii

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
JoseSalazar wrote:

JetBlue already expressed interest about SNA with the A220.
It's got the payload and legs to make SNA-BOS/JFK.
Brings a Much higher yelling passenger.
LGB will stay A small spoke city most likely until the arrival of the A220 and SNA.
Flyguy

the -100s do. not the -300s.

MIflyer12

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 pm

JoseSalazar wrote:

For a NIMBY, it's not the noise level of the plane - it's the reality that there is a plane (at a time of day that disagrees with them). They may not acknowledge quieter as better. And they certainly don't want more ops.

catiii

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:25 pm

EWR22LAS25 wrote:
catiii wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

Jesus Christ, listen to you two.

Having worked at Blue, I can tell you that Airports, Flight Ops, and Inflight are notorious for having bad info and speculation that they "heard" from an insider - i.e., their TLC. Everyone at that company thinks they know better.
Marty was an amazing executive. The problems weren't his fault, and the ones that continue aren't his fault.
B6 isn't leaving NY for Orlando. Orlando was in play 10 years ago because it was the focus of the company. Blue is a northeastern company with a focus on a well-off northeastern customer. That building and their image is as important to the company as any part of their product. They will find other ways to generate revenue to pay for it. Will they open other offices to place strategic people? Yes. But they're not moving their headquarters.

Listen to what? He was making sweeping generalizations not rooted in any fact. And it's JetBlue GG...

richierich

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 pm

flyby519 wrote:

I don't know what these mean, I assume LSC is Long Island City (Queens)?
None shall pass!!!!

bluecrew

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:28 pm

acavpics wrote:
With B6 downsizing LGB, have they pretty much given up on having any sort of station on the west coast?

To be fair, they gave up on this years ago.
LGB has been cut and cut and cut down every year I can remember.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was an announcement that the handful of West Coast Airbus routes are going, and the focus city will essentially turn into just another destination from JFK/FLL/MCO/BOS.

Revelation

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:37 pm

united75x wrote:

#32 suggests 9:30 at LGB...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

flyby519

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 pm

richierich wrote:
flyby519 wrote:

I don't know what these mean, I assume LSC is Long Island City (Queens)?

4 different properties. Long Island HQ, Salt Lake City Support Center, Washington DC office, and another JSC is an Orlando customer support facility on John Young parkway.

Midwestindy

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:39 pm

Revelation wrote:
united75x wrote:

#32 suggests 9:30 at LGB...

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Revelation

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:43 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Damn, that seems ominous...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

jfklganyc

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:46 pm

1230ET

jfklganyc

Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:57 pm

flyby519 wrote:
richierich wrote:
I personally don't see that changing when the lease is up (anybody know when that is?)

Correct and this isnt a rumor we actually got an email

it stated “Jetblue will always have a presence in New York but the size and scope of it are under review”

So read between the lines and the headquarters or a good chunk of it is moving unless New York spills out a lot of money to keep them.

11C

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 pm

It’s up to three meetings now, spread throughout the day. If they add grief counselors I’d not be surprised.

USAavdork

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:21 pm

3 meetings?

jetmatt777

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:25 pm

USAavdork wrote:
3 meetings?

Presumably to cover all shifts. Yikes. That sounds like a layoff.

11C

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:29 pm

USAavdork wrote:
3 meetings?

9:30, 13:00, 18:00

USAavdork

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Oh ok

Blueknows

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:31 pm

The witching hours has arrived

SoCalFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:37 pm

The news is trickling in here...it ain’t good. Damn.

catiii

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

So read between the lines and the headquarters or a good chunk of it is moving unless New York spills out a lot of money to keep them.

Or if the relocation costs and packages, attrition, and buyouts make it not attractive to move.

FARmd90

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:39 pm

SoCalFlyer wrote:

Care to share??

catiii

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm

SoCalFlyer wrote:

Funny, what I am seeing is that it is actually much better than everyone anticipated.

CaptCoolHand

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 pm

catiii wrote:
SoCalFlyer wrote:

Funny, what I am seeing is that it is actually much better than everyone anticipated.

don't post anything... no one wants to know anyhow...

maps4ltd

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:52 pm

JetBlue raised bag fees from $30 to $35 (with $5 discount if added before check-in), but that's the only news I've seen from them today.
Delta Gold Medallion

11C

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm

catiii wrote:
SoCalFlyer wrote:

I guess we will have to wait for the details, but it looks like the can got kicked down the road. Maybe there is a plan at work (A220, or something else), who knows. Or, just delaying the inevitable.

CaptCoolHand

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:54 pm

22-->15 flights per day. base stays open as cobase. OAK closing.

maps4ltd

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 pm

CaptCoolHand wrote:

Anything else? This seems close to the increased bag/change announcements from this morning.

Destinations cut? Routes from other hubs added? How did you get this information?
Delta Gold Medallion

Ishrion

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 pm

CaptCoolHand wrote:

Ironically OAK has a route announcement today.

wnflyguy

Heard they are Dropping LGB-SMF,LGB-SJC,LGB-OAK and LGB-RNO
Any truth?

Flyguy
Last edited by wnflyguy on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

maps4ltd

Ishrion wrote:
CaptCoolHand wrote:

Ironically OAK has a route announcement today.

Do you know the airline? AS just added SEA-MRY yesterday.
Delta Gold Medallion

SoCalFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Reduced to 15 flights a day. OAK is closing. Vegas and SMF reduced. No planned flight hour cuts for pilots or inflight at this time. But inflight has a about 180ish people based there. That’s a lot for 15 flights.

unusualattitude

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:02 pm

SoCalFlyer wrote:
Reduced to 15 flights a day. OAK is closing. Vegas and SMF reduced. No planned flight hour cuts for pilots or inflight at this time. But inflight has a about 180ish people based there. That’s a lot for 15 flights.

Yes but they also have all of the LAX non mint flying that they staff as well.

Coronado990

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Maybe B6 will move the OAK flights to SAN since this is a busy route with only WN on it.
Cornucopia

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos