Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SonomaFlyer
Topic Author

STS Service Expansion

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Based on record passenger traffic and strong year-over-year growth, airlines will be adding second daily flights to the following cities as well as resumption of service:

SNA second flight (evening) via AS E75
SAN second flight (morning) via AS E75;
DEN second flight (morning outbound and evening return) via UA CR2
DFW resumption of service via AA (year round) E70;
PHX second flight (evening) via AA CR9;
LAX once daily via AA (AS currently offers three daily flights) E75;
Sun Country resuming MSP seasonal flights MSP-STS-LAS 738.

Hopefully, we'll see UA ramp up to E75s on the Denver flight as the CR2 is not awesome for that stage length (2:45 - 3 hrs).

STS will be up to 19 out of the 21 allowable departures under the current operations plan. Temporary terminal upgrades will be done soon and larger ones come online in 2022.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1059 ... ear-sonoma

AAtakeMeAway

Re: STS Service Expansion

Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Woo hoo at DFW going year round! I've really enjoyed the seasonal service on my trips to Napa; a great alternative to SMF!

alasizon

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:53 am

The problem still is the lack of parking spaces and terminal room. Flights are routinely taking delays or having to divert due to a lack of ground space. Plus they just switched to a new private security contractor and they have been having problems getting bags cleared in time for flights.

Given the limit of 21 scheduled departures per day; at some point someone is going to have to go Mainline to continue to grow (although it is limited to 7 Mainline flights/day). Interesting part is the new master plan doesn't include any Mainline capable gates and everything has regional airlines listed as the preferred carriers (bordering on anti-Mainline).
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

SANFan

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:12 am

alasizon wrote:
The problem still is the lack of parking spaces and terminal room. Flights are routinely taking delays or having to divert due to a lack of ground space. Plus they just switched to a new private security contractor and they have been having problems getting bags cleared in time for flights.

Given the limit of 21 scheduled departures per day; at some point someone is going to have to go Mainline to continue to grow (although it is limited to 7 Mainline flights/day). Interesting part is the new master plan doesn't include any Mainline capable gates and everything has regional airlines listed as the preferred carriers (bordering on anti-Mainline).

Interesting info. I had no idea STS was constrained. I'm very glad, therefore, that SAN got a 2nd frequency before things fill up! Looking at AS's current version of end-of-the- year skeds, however, I'm seeing only a single r/t in the market (Nov and Dec.) That certainly could change and I'm sure there would be no problem filling 2 daily r/t; the market has grown and matured nicely. I'll be keeping an eye on the situation.

bb

as739x

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:40 am

alasizon wrote:

Divert due to ground space? I have flown the E175 in there over a dozen times, never had an issue. STS has weather diversions, but space? They can hold us on Bravo, Delta even runway 20, so diverting due to ground space seems odd.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

SurfandSnow

Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:40 am

SonomaFlyer wrote:
Based on record passenger traffic and strong year-over-year growth

Wine Country locals and visitors alike just love this airport. I'm sure the additional flight options will be appreciated and supported accordingly.

SonomaFlyer wrote:
SNA second flight (evening) via AS E75

Interesting that this p2p route worked out for AS when the airline's other experiments from SNA (PVR, RNO, SJD) did not. I wonder if BUR-STS could be a possible addition in the future?

SonomaFlyer wrote:
SAN second flight (morning) via AS E75

Exactly the kind of niche service that makes sense for AS to offer from its SAN focus city. Hopefully the likes of SAN-PAE/RDM/SBP are also doing well?

SonomaFlyer wrote:
DEN second flight (morning outbound and evening return) via UA CR2

Wow! That didn't take long. I wonder if UA will keep the SFO-STS feeder service, though.

SonomaFlyer wrote:
DFW resumption of service via AA (year round) E70

DFW offers all kinds of connectivity that LAX/PHX do not. I know the Healdsburg winery that I work for has found *a lot* of success in places like Baton Rouge, LA and Augusta, GA - let alone throughout Texas itself!

SonomaFlyer wrote:
PHX second flight (evening) via AA CR9

There isn't a better place to connect than PHX. Never any congestion or weather issues, much unlike any of the other major hubs available to STS travelers...

SonomaFlyer wrote:
LAX once daily via AA (AS currently offers three daily flights) E75

I know in the days of the AS monopoly prices were atrocious on the LAX-STS route. I wonder if they'll be any more reasonable now?

SonomaFlyer wrote:
Sun Country resuming MSP seasonal flights MSP-STS-LAS 738

Very exciting! If MSP is working from STS, some sort of Chicago service probably can't be far off...

SonomaFlyer wrote:
Hopefully, we'll see UA ramp up to E75s on the Denver flight as the CR2 is not awesome for that stage length (2:45 - 3 hrs)

It does seem like UA is finally getting around to upgauging routes operated by equipment that is uncomfortably small. Sadly, there's so many cases where they have to do this (DEN-BUR springs to mind). IIRC I flew a UAX CR2 on the YYC-DEN route a few years ago...

SonomaFlyer wrote:
STS will be up to 19 out of the 21 allowable departures under the current operations plan.

Wow! So DL really is locked out of STS (for now, at least)...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

williaminsd

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Been flying SAN-STS regularly since 2016 and have never been diverted due to space. Just lucky I guess...

Really going to appreciate the second daily flight so I can take care of biz in one day and sleep in own bed that night... SO looking forward to it!

I have not seen the first phase plans, but does anyone know if they are moving the rental car counters? While I love the convenience, it can get a little cozy in there with the security line, baggage claim, and rental line all funneled into the same, small area.

The big tent makes the holding area less chaotic, but I kind of miss the old days of two flights packed into that tiny hold with nothing but a couple of vending machines for sustenance (read: no bar). Also, much the same staff for years now and the friendliest, most helpful people you will ever meet.

My favorite time to fly-out is Friday afternoon when you see all the families waiting at the arrival gate for "daddy" to come home from his work travels. (Please note that's not meant to be sexist. It's an accurate reflection of what I witness.) I have a photo I took of several families pressed against the fence and all waving, arms stretched high, at daddy as he cleared the ramp. Pretty darn sweet and puts you in a great mood for your flight home.

Yeah... I love this airport.

jsnww81

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:25 pm

My parents live in Santa Rosa - they retired there from the Dallas area about five years ago and they are THRILLED with the STS-DFW service, as they can go back to visit my siblings and their grandchildren without having to schlep to SFO or SMF. I live in Los Angeles and flying LAX-STS makes visiting a breeze as well.

While the terminal building is cute and charming, it's well overdue for expansion - security can be a real disaster at times and baggage claim is often wall-to-wall people when a flight comes in. American and United's check-in counters are inside what is essentially an elementary-school portable classroom. The tent gate area has definitely helped on the airside, but the portapotties don't leave a very good impression.

It's good to hear that some remodeling is on the way, but it's too bad the complex can't be reshaped into something that doesn't feel so piecemeal. The complex is evolving into what LGB used to look like - a bunch of haphazard temporary additions tacked together. It'd be great to see STS evolve into something more like the 'new' LGB... scaled appropriately to the constraints placed on the airport by locals, but permanent and comfortable. This is California, though, so I'm not holding my breath...

alasizon

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:02 am

as739x wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Divert due to ground space? I have flown the E175 in there over a dozen times, never had an issue. STS has weather diversions, but space? They can hold us on Bravo, Delta even runway 20, so diverting due to ground space seems odd.

Can't speak to the whys but since Nov/Dec there have been 3-4 diversions for space as well as multiple GDPs for airline only volume.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

mountainwest90

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:40 am

I'm not sure why Delta hasn't jumped on the STS bandwagon. I'm feel 2x/3x daily STS-SLC on a E175 would be successful.

Probably not going to happen now that the airport is so close to capacity.

KLMatSJC

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:53 am

mountainwest90 wrote:
I'm not sure why Delta hasn't jumped on the STS bandwagon. I'm feel 2x/3x daily STS-SLC on a E175 would be successful.

Probably not going to happen now that the airport is so close to capacity.

DL is not great at secondary CA cities: STS, MRY, SBP. Even SBA just got DL. I think they'll all get added soon.
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos