Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AM764
Topic Author

MEX keeps growing against all odds: Breaks 50M mark

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:40 am

Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted here but I couldn't find anything regarding this:

Mexico City International Airport (MEX) broke the 50 million passenger mark in November 2019, when it served 50,059,995 passengers in 12 months. For the period January-December 2020, it served 50,308,049 passengers, up 5.5% from 2019. International passengers grew 2.6% accounting for 35% of the total, while domestic passengers increased by 7.1% of the remaining 65%.

59% of the passengers used the awful Terminal 1, while 41% flew through T2, which houses all Aeroméxico operations.

It will be interesting to see how much more the airport can grow considering that:
-There are virtually no slots available
-The airport is already operating at its maximum capacity
-Passenger experience (especially during peak hours) is miserable, to say the least
-There aren't many widebody positions at neither of the two terminals
-The new government plans to relocate traffic to Santa Lucia and Toluca :roll:

Construction of a new 'finger D' began in September 2019, which -as per my understanding- will serve the remote positions used by Aeroméxico Connect. It is still uncertain if the construction of a new Terminal 3 will begin this year. This terminal, however, will not enable the increase of the 432,368 operations in 2019.

Newest entrants to MEX include EK to BCN and DXB, HU to PEK via TIJ, and TK to IST via CUN.

Source: https://www.aicm.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/AICM-EN-CIFRAS-DICIEMBRE-2019.pdf

Ishrion

Re: MEX keeps growing against all odds: Breaks 50M mark

Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am

Isn’t Hainan ending it’s PEK-TIJ-MEX flight?

LAX772LR

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:42 am

For the site where the new airport was being constructed, what's happening to it currently?

Can it be feasibly restarted whenever a new administration is in power?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

alan3

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:08 am

Was so weird taking off recently from MEX and flying right over the now-scrapped-new airport. The site seemed fully under construction but abandoned like a ghost town. Looked like it was going to be quite stunning. Weird decision to scrap it after construction is fully underway.

The existing airport is indeed quite miserable.

Upon my flight arrival at night the doors leading from the jetway to the terminal way got stuck for 15 minutes. Then a few minutes later while walking to immigration the power went out in an entire section of the hallway. We had to turn on our cell phone lights to get to immigration. A few days later upon departure, I couldn’t believe how crowded and undersized the airport was.

Nice to see so much growth in traffic to MEX but I’m sorry to say the airport is an ageing old crowded mess.

Caymanair

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:34 am

MEX is perhaps the worst major airport I've experienced. It is incredibly overcrowded and inefficient and is generally falling apart (at least the areas I've passed through). Abandoning the new airport was/is a huge mistake. It's great that traffic is growing, but with each new passenger the experience worsens and eventually that will begin to negatively impact business!

TheRedBaron

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:52 am

MEX is simply put an embarrassment to Mexicans, the New airport was cancelled and PAID in full with the new government, so we ended with a old, outdated and undersized airport, with low ceilings and dismal services.

I flew FCO to MEX last month and after a 13.5 hour flight we had to wait another hour to get a gate and disembark...

I feel ashamed of the horrible conditions....

Best regards
TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

Gregd75

Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:10 am

I’m not sure I agree that MEX is bad. I’m am AM frequent flier and use their lounges in T2 and the experience is fine.

In terms of waiting once you’ve landed, that happens everywhere. At LHR you land and have to wait quite some time for the plane to taxi, cross runways etc.

MTY is a far worse national airport than MEX, or really bad is CVM.
Internationally, EWR is much much worse an experience than MEX, and also try LGA.

MEX could be better, I don’t deny but it has a metro connection that I use, bus service to downtown. Loads of security screening points. Lounges, restaurants pretty much everything you need as a passenger.

You just need to plan well. Check in online. Arrive with plenty of time and you’ll not go wrong.

Planetalk

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:31 am

LAX772LR wrote:
For the site where the new airport was being constructed, what's happening to it currently?

One hopes such a scenario doesn't emerge given the problems in Mexico after having had essentially the same administration for its entire modern history. A leader who does something, anything whatsoever, for the average person is a complete novelty there.

I expect for the average Mexican, a country that has amongst the lowest minimum wage and worst employment rates on earth, (far worse than far poorer countries in Latin America), the rise to the minimum wage will make far more difference that a new airport. I understand that won't be a popular opinion here though. A new airport that could handle a few more million passengers a year would not transform the average Mexican's life.

That's probably why their president still has a 70% approval rating which I imagine would make any other western leader, especially the one north of the border, green with envy.

MIflyer12

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Planetalk wrote:
I expect for the average Mexican, a country that has amongst the lowest minimum wage and worst employment rates on earth, (far worse than far poorer countries in Latin America)...

The statutory minimum wage is low but most labor participants make more than the minimum. https://latinamericanpost.com/18988-lat ... d-for-2018

GDP per capita on a Purchasing Power Parity Basis is higher than China or Brazil, if not as high as Chile. https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... nk.html#MX

Mexican unemployment rates are low. https://latinamericanpost.com/23549-lat ... res-so-far

Mexican labor force participation rates are far from the lowest. (It's 3 points off the U.S. rate.) https://tradingeconomics.com/country-li ... nt=america

The Mexican economy has lots of problems but generally, the labor force isn't one of them. The government does need to look for investments to improve productivity. Whether a new MEX airport should come before tech school expansion is not a simple question.

Gr8Circle

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Gregd75 wrote:
I’m not sure I agree that MEX is bad. I’m am AM frequent flier and use their lounges in T2 and the experience is fine.

Very few passengers get to use the lounges so that is not a criteria for rating an airport......I flew through MEX last year and it was by far, the worst international airport I've ever flown through......the most shocking part was that the terminal is not even air-conditioned and it was the month of June and the terminal was miserably crowded, hot and stuffy......terrible experience.....corridors leading to the gates are old and tired.....desperately in need of an overhaul.....food options are limited....if you plan on catching a bite at the airport before your flight, you're out of luck.....most of the retail space seems to be taken up by money changers (at least two dozen of them)…..

Yes, the transit facilities into the city are good.....but overall, the airport sucks....

CMA727

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:24 pm

As long as there´s no quality oriented management at MEX, its passengers will suffer the consequences.

vishal1996

Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Isn’t Hainan ending it’s PEK-TIJ-MEX flight?

Yes in May 2020
NExt Flight - DEL-ZRH

AirWorthy99

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:30 pm

The president won by promising canceling the new MEX.

Then they did a referendum asking if construction should be continued, the result was negative.

So this is what the Mexican populace voted for, unfortunately for them (majority of which haven't flown on an airplane), the rest will pay the consequences.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

BanjoYoshi

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:45 pm

So they built a good percentage of the new airport already for nothing? What a waste. So now what toluca and st Lucia is not gonna work for a mega metro like mexico city.

AirWorthy99

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:51 pm

BanjoYoshi wrote:
So they built a good percentage of the new airport already for nothing? What a waste. So now what toluca and st Lucia is not gonna work for a mega metro like mexico city.

Not only that, they paid for it so it can be left abandoned. So its like buying for land to build a house, paying for the land getting a loan for the house, and abandoning it and still paying for the loan. Makes no sense.
“It’s easy to confuse ‘what is’ with ‘what ought to be,’ especially when ‘what is’ has worked out in your favor.” Tyrion Lannister

SCQ83

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 pm

AMLO wants to make CDMX the new Caracas, so in 10 years only 5 million passengers / year will use MEX.

NiMar

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:36 pm

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Then they did a referendum asking if construction should be continued, the result was negative.

So this is what the Mexican populace voted for, unfortunately for them (majority of which haven't flown on an airplane), the rest will pay the consequences.

That was a sham vote asking only a few people in distant AMLO supporting districts. Don't hide behind that garbage.

BuildingMyBento

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:35 pm

More important issue? CDMX has no water.

rabader

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:11 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
More important issue? CDMX has no water.

For sure Mexico City has other issues but the airport is close to the top

KrustyTheKlown

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:29 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:

Not really.

AMLO won because he had been campaigning for 18 years and because Mexicans saw what happened north of the border as said "Hey, we also want a barely literate demagogue that promises he's going to solve all our problems despite having absolutely no plan about anything".

The voters of the presidential election simply didn't care about the airport.

And the referendum was a sham. In opinion polls 60% favored continuing construction of the Texcoco airport so AMLO had to design the "referendum" so that the only polling places were located in districts where his most enthusiastic supporters live and even then it was reported that people could vote as many times as they wanted.

Legally that sham cannot be called a referendum as even with all those tricks they came 39 million voters short of the minimum required by Mexican laws to approve binding referendums.

AM764
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:32 am

AirWorthy99 wrote:

By no means can whatever AMLO pulled out be called a referendum. IIRC, only around 1% of total voters participated and more importantly, it was not organized by the INE (the institution that regulates and monitors democracy in Mexico).

To me, it is a real shame to see how other airports will continue to grow and expand while MEX remains offering its passengers a bad experience.

Yes, Terminal 2 departures are very much OK. Not anything incredible but just OK. However, T2 arrivals are a real mess. Often you find very long queues for migration and don't even get me started on the baggage claim area, they sometimes put 3 or 4 long haul flights on the same conveyor. Terminal 1 is terrible for both departures and arrivals. I can't think of many major airports without arrival/departure segregation.

The new MEX was necessary and without it, airlines hubbed in Mexico City will not see much growth anymore. AM can only bring a few more airplanes before it has nowhere to put them.

KLAM

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:35 am

SCQ83 wrote:
AMLO wants to make CDMX the new Caracas, so in 10 years only 5 million passengers / year will use MEX.

I live in Mexico City. The airport is not good, nobody can deny that. What I can deny is this Caracas statement. AMLO is not the best, I do not even like him that much. I despise his ambivalence, yet I have to admit there are things he is changing, and I applaud that. I am sorry to get into politics, I know it is an itchy topic, but talking about MEX requires a bit of it.

I would love to see a new airport in the city. I do realize, though, that it is definitely NOT a priority given our current situation. Mexico City is composed of a number of social bubbles that barely interact with each other. People in the more privileged bubbles do not tend to realize that there are deep issues like water supply, poverty, a terrible educational system (although the private one is as bad, but many of the people graduating from it do not really need a degree), awful salaries and working conditions (only 4% of mexicans make more than USD $830/month, https://www.eleconomista.com.mx/economia/Solo-4-de-cada-100-trabajadores-en-Mexico-ganan-mas-de-15429-pesos-al-mes-20191013-0002.html Spanish only), and a wide number of complex problems that make the new MEX look like an incongruent, new rich project.

Yes, we need a new airport, but we do not need an X-shaped-greenhouse-looking fancy Norman Foster project. The project was cool, but out of place. Would the new government cancel the airport had it been another more austere and modest project? I think this cancellation was his way of kicking the door upon entry and evidence a government that was focusing on the wrong things: image, protocol, expensive trips, and wanting other countries to see us as the new Singapore, when we are far from it. Having a fancy airport will not make us a developed nation. I would rather spend 5 hours of my vacation (my privilege) in a stinky and sweaty airport, knowing that my taxes are being used to solve more urgent issues.

These are my two cents as a Mexican in love with aviation.
flyOM

GSPSPOT

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:45 am

We transited MEX twice in May last year. We only touched the AM terminal (going DL/AM and vice versa). I found the terminal to be charming. Open air (but not quite to the level of HNL), and not super-crowded. Now, granted we flew First Class and got to use the AM lounge. But we didn't have to wait a long time to take off, etc. The bus to the connecting flight was fun for me.
Great Lakes, great life.

KrustyTheKlown

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:51 am

Planetalk wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

One hopes such a scenario doesn't emerge given the problems in Mexico after having had essentially the same administration for its entire modern history. A leader who does something, anything whatsoever, for the average person is a complete novelty there.

I expect for the average Mexican, a country that has amongst the lowest minimum wage and worst employment rates on earth, (far worse than far poorer countries in Latin America), the rise to the minimum wage will make far more difference that a new airport. I understand that won't be a popular opinion here though. A new airport that could handle a few more million passengers a year would not transform the average Mexican's life.

That's probably why their president still has a 70% approval rating which I imagine would make any other western leader, especially the one north of the border, green with envy.

There are many issues with your comment.

a) AMLO didn't campaign on doing things differently, he ran with the platform of returning to 70's and since then all of his actions has been focused on rebuilding the one-party state that ruled Mexico for most of the 20th century. And exactly from those actions comes his approval rating: All major media is in his pocket. It doesn't matter that the country is in recession or that the murder rate is at an all-time high if all that the average citizen ever sees is positive coverage of him.

Right now the media is selling the story that he's going to raffle the 787 he failed to sell and that with the $100M they expect to get AMLO is going to solve all of Mexico's problems... but what nobody is saying is that he wasted enough money for buying 100 787s just by scrapping the Texcoco airport.

b) Jobs in Mexico rarely set their pay based on the minimum wage. Employees have contracts for a set amount that doesn't change regardless on increases on the minimum wage so the average worker sees no benefit of increases to the minimum wage by decree.

Gregd75

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:52 am

Very few passengers get to use the lounges so that is not a criteria for rating an airport......I flew through MEX last year and it was by far, the worst international airport I've ever flown through......the most shocking part was that the terminal is not even air-conditioned and it was the month of June and the terminal was miserably crowded, hot and stuffy......terrible experience.....corridors leading to the gates are old and tired.....desperately in need of an overhaul.....food options are limited....if you plan on catching a bite at the airport before your flight, you're out of luck.....most of the retail space seems to be taken up by money changers

But the money exchange stores are landside. When you enter T1 there are dozens of food options; 3x starbucks, Subway, McDonalds, Sbarro, krispy creme, 100% natural, Colima, VIPS, Chilis, Wings. What is missing from this list of food outlets?

Same thing. Landside in T1 on the mezzine level located between departures and arrivals there are steakhouses, Italian restaurants, Chilis, the Hilton hotel restaurant, McDonalds, sushi restaurants, Subway, Sbarro, chinese food. Really? What is missing?

A new airport lounge has been opened because so many people use them.

Actually in Mex City, because of the altitude, many places don’t have air-conditioning, including my office. June average high temp is less than 30 degrees.

T2 landside has tonnes of food options located between check in and the carpark, a bit hidden admittedly but they are there. Again, airside there are 6 restaurants I can think of plus convenience stores, coffee shops, Subway and 6 lounges.

Your arguement suggests that you didnt really look at the terminal map to find what you wanted. Thats like going to a new shopping mall and not looking at the map and then complaining bitterly because it didnt have any stores. I insist. Its not a bad airport. Newark, Sao Paolo and Dar Es Salaam are much worse airports.

Please remember that Mexico is a developing country. People cannot and should not judge it to First World standards.

You’re comparing apples to oranges, I’m afraid

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:52 am

Planetalk wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Why are you posting this (which has several arguable inaccuracies BTW) as if the two concepts are mutually exclusive?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

chunhimlai

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:58 am

Cancellation of Texcoco airport is a few decision more idiot than the Trump wall

PacoMartin

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:46 am

KLAM wrote:
Yes, we need a new airport, but we do not need an X-shaped-greenhouse-looking fancy Norman Foster project. The project was cool, but out of place. Would the new government cancel the airport had it been another more austere and modest project? I think this cancellation was his way of kicking the door upon entry and evidence a government that was focusing on the wrong things: image, protocol, expensive trips, and wanting other countries to see us as the new Singapore, when we are far from it. Having a fancy airport will not make us a developed nation. I would rather spend 5 hours of my vacation (my privilege) in a stinky and sweaty airport, knowing that my taxes are being used to solve more urgent issues.

These are my two cents as a Mexican in love with aviation.

I think this post is very sincere but look to US history. In 1869 the construction of the first Grand Central Depot in NYC was begun when the population of the US was less than 40 million. The vase Second Empire style edifice would have seemed out of place to the mobs of poor crowded in the tenements of Manhatten at a density unthinkable to the urban population of even the most crowded city in the world today.

Mexican aviation doesn't look like it is ever going to develop multiple hub airports which are anywhere near as important as MEX. Aviation is extremely important to developing an economy. Like many people, I was aghast at the final price tag of the new airport, as there are almost no infrastructure projects in the US that cost that much money. But with most of the money spent, AMLO may have condemned future generations to more poverty than they deserve.

santi319

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:04 am

PacoMartin wrote:
But with most of the money spent, AMLO may have condemned future generations to more poverty than they deserve

This is literally what he wants/needs for him to stay in power for a while (directly or indirectly).

He knows exactly what he is doing...

KLAM

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:31 pm

PacoMartin wrote:

Mexican aviation doesn't look like it is ever going to develop multiple hub airports which are anywhere near as important as MEX. Aviation is extremely important to developing an economy. Like many people, I was aghast at the final price tag of the new airport, as there are almost no infrastructure projects in the US that cost that much money. But with most of the money spent, AMLO may have condemned future generations to more poverty than they deserve.

I completely agree with you in that it is not a black-or-white matter. We need a new airport for sure, and AMLO is far from solving or even getting close to solve it. The underlying issues of the Mexican social structure surface in this new airport mess. The worrying part of this is whether the man will truly be the voice of the voiceless (as he promised) or if nothing will change. Other than that, I try not to believe everything that I hear in the news.
flyOM

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:31 pm

I fly into and out of MEX 5 or 6 times a year. This past Friday my flight touched down at 19:07. After sitting on the taxiway for about 10 minutes, I guess the pilot was told there were no gates available, so we pulled into a space in the cargo area. We then waited until 20:00 before a bus arrived to take us to the terminal. That's ridiculous. Operations at MEX have outgrown the physical space at Terminal 1 for sure, yet there is still not a good solution. Sta. Lucia is not going to solve these problems.

Dieuwer

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Christmas Day I had a domestic flight out of MEX (to PVR) and I will tell you I will NEVER EVER fly to/from/via MEX again. This place is a dump and extremely disorganized.
No less than two other flights were scheduled to depart at exactly the same time from the same gate as my flight was supposed to leave. The gate area was mobbed with nobody having any clue which bus (yes, a dreadful bus gate) was supposed to leave to what airplane. In fact, at a certain point TWO BUSES pulled up and you had to figure out yourselves which bus went to which airline.
Anyhow, with the little Spanish I speak I could figure it out and ended up on the correct plane, but suffice to say a lot of American families were completely flabbergasted.

PacoMartin

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:27 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Anyhow, with the little Spanish I speak I could figure it out and ended up on the correct plane, but suffice to say a lot of American families were completely flabbergasted.

Fortunately for Americans, they can fly to most Mexican airports without changing planes in MEX. They can transfer through a larger US airport or via GDL or MTY or they can walk over to TIJ.

Frankly, with 7 of the 11 mainline airlines in the USA and two regional airlines plus a Mexican airline flying nonstop from USA to PVR, I wonder why did you end up transferring through MEX?

Alaska Airlines Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (CA) (begins March 19, 2020) Seasonal: Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth, Phoenix–Sky Harbor Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare
American Eagle Los Angeles
Delta Air Lines Atlanta, Los Angeles, Salt Lake City Seasonal: Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle/Tacoma
Frontier Airlines Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare, Denver
Southwest Airlines Denver, Houston–Hobby, San Diego Seasonal: Oakland
Sun Country Airlines Seasonal: Dallas/Fort Worth (begins June 5, 2020), Las Vegas, Minneapolis/St. Paul
United Airlines Denver, Houston–Intercontinental, Newark, San Francisco Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare, Los Angeles
United Express Seasonal: Houston–Intercontinental
Volaris Phoenix–Sky Harbor, Tijuana Seasonal: Chicago–O'Hare

Gregd75

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:39 am

Dieuwer wrote:
No less than two other flights were scheduled to depart at exactly the same time from the same gate as my flight was supposed to leave.

I imagine you flew from gate 75. Trust me, the people that check tickets will make sure you get on the right bus to get to the right plane.

The problem isn’t the airport, it’s Americans expecting their flying experience to be the same in a foreign country as it is in the USA. Adjust your expectations and you’ll realize that things are done differently in other parts of the world.

There is no way you’d have gotten onto the wrong flight. Worry not

Gregd75

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:42 am

IAHWorldflyer wrote:
I fly into and out of MEX 5 or 6 times a year. This past Friday my flight touched down at 19:07. After sitting on the taxiway for about 10 minutes, I guess the pilot was told there were no gates available, so we pulled into a space in the cargo area. We then waited until 20:00 before a bus arrived to take us to the terminal. That's ridiculous. Operations at MEX have outgrown the physical space at Terminal 1 for sure, yet there is still not a good solution. Sta. Lucia is not going to solve these problems.

We’re you flying Internet, by any chance? Their service has really slipped, and with so much talk of them going bankrupt, their operation is in chaos these days.

I’d suggest this is more to do with the airline (avoid Interjet) than the airport itself.

IAHWorldflyer

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:27 pm

Gregd75 wrote:
IAHWorldflyer wrote:

We’re you flying Internet, by any chance? Their service has really slipped, and with so much talk of them going bankrupt, their operation is in chaos these days.

I’d suggest this is more to do with the airline (avoid Interjet) than the airport itself.

Yes, it was Interjet. You are correct, I've not had the same situation occur when on United. I find Interjet's in flight service fine, and enjoy the legroom and clean planes. The whole gate/check in/boarding experience needs improvement though. From my home airport they are often $250 or more cheaper than United. I can put up with some chaos for that amount of money.

TObound

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:35 pm

I wonder if the growth at MEX figures into AM's fleet plans for their regional fleet renewal.

Planetalk

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 pm

The Mexico experience is certainly a lot better than the so called departure lounge I had to endure at Miami last Sunday, on a flight to MEX funny enough. I arrived early as I like to do usually and relax and have something to eat and drink. Only to find myself in a tiny hall with a cafe, a duty free and one bar, it was the F concourse I think. Oh and a pizza hut, mustn't forget that. An international departure lounge. I've been in airports in rural cities in South America that offer more entertainment.

Whether the referendum was a sham or not, while its not how things should be done, I assure you most Mexicans couldn't care less about the airport. Terminal 1 isn't great, nit no worse than plenty in the USA, Stansted, Gatwick in peak season which is a zoo. I also generally wait far longer at US immigration than Mexican. So while it may be terribly uncomfortable for some of you, it just really isn't a priority.

As for that article about the minimum wage I note it doesn't mention how much above the minimum wage people earn, and if you believe only 1000 people in the country live on it, I have a bridge to sell you.

alan3

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:24 pm

Here was my recent late night arrival from YVR to MEX (T1):

1. Nobody was there at the jetbridge to meet the plane for over 20 minutes
2. After finally deplaning, the doors going down the hallway from gate to immigration got stuck (for another 20 minutes). They eventually used a screwdriver to pry it open.
3. On the walk to immigration part of the walkway tunnel lost power. It was complete black darkness in that section of the airport. No staff doing anything.
4. Passengers had to use their own cell phone flashlights to get to immigration (where there was a massive wait)

The post above suggests that Mexicans "don't care about the airport" being bad and other places in the world are also bad. This isn't about having to wait in queues. This airport is almost literally falling apart.

Mexico is a major world economy, one of the largest countries in the world and Mexico City is a major center of economics and finance. When the infrastructure is falling apart and the airport loses power and doors don't even open, things have got to be close to a breaking point where it's not properly operable anymore.

PS: Departure wasn't much better. There was power but airport was hot and crowded.

Gregd75

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:11 am

Curiously, T1 doesnt have one floor for arriving passengers and another for departing. Back in 2005 I remember disembarking and being surprised that I was in the same area as the departing passengers. Over the years partitions have been added to separate passengers. So thats why you had your experience.

Mexico is not a first world country. Don’t judge it by those standards. If you’re in a foreign country you should expect that things are different.

Actually, these differences are what I love about the country.

One time I arrived into London and the airbridge froze. We had to wait 45 minutes for stairs and buses to come and take a B747 full of passengers to the terminal. These things happen.

Antarius

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 am

Gregd75 wrote:
Mexico is not a first world country. Don’t judge it by those standards. If you’re in a foreign country you should expect that things are different.

Well, first world USA still manages to put out LGA, EWR and PHL, which I would argue are far worse than MEX.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Antarius

Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:26 am

alan3 wrote:
Here was my recent late night arrival from YVR to MEX (T1):

1. Nobody was there at the jetbridge to meet the plane for over 20 minutes
2. After finally deplaning, the doors going down the hallway from gate to immigration got stuck (for another 20 minutes). They eventually used a screwdriver to pry it open.
3. On the walk to immigration part of the walkway tunnel lost power. It was complete black darkness in that section of the airport. No staff doing anything.
4. Passengers had to use their own cell phone flashlights to get to immigration (where there was a massive wait)

The post above suggests that Mexicans "don't care about the airport" being bad and other places in the world are also bad. This isn't about having to wait in queues. This airport is almost literally falling apart.

Mexico is a major world economy, one of the largest countries in the world and Mexico City is a major center of economics and finance. When the infrastructure is falling apart and the airport loses power and doors don't even open, things have got to be close to a breaking point where it's not properly operable anymore.

PS: Departure wasn't much better. There was power but airport was hot and crowded.

or, MEX is big enough and relevant enough that this shitshow is tolerable. I mean, look at the US... we welcome people to LAX,ORD and JFK/EWR among others.... absolute embarrassments.

That said, canceling the new airport is extremely stupid, especially where they were in the process. I was in MEX 4 days ago and it was, as expected, atrocious.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

totesen

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:03 am

Gregd75 wrote:

In terms of waiting once you’ve landed, that happens everywhere. At LHR you land and have to wait quite some time for the plane to taxi, cross runways etc.

MTY is a far worse national airport than MEX, or really bad is CVM.
Internationally, EWR is much much worse an experience than MEX, and also try LGA.

MEX could be better, I don’t deny but it has a metro connection that I use, bus service to downtown. Loads of security screening points. Lounges, restaurants pretty much everything you need as a passenger.

You just need to plan well. Check in online. Arrive with plenty of time and you’ll not go wrong.

Being honest, i have no idea what airport you flew in. A few weeks ago we landed from Lima at 9:20PM, the airport was so crowded that we couldnt find a gate untill 11:15PM, even do it was an AM flight they where no gates or remote stands, and had to park at t1 and be bused to t2. I ended up leaving the airport at 12AM almost 3 hours later. Its unbearable to fly to MEX.

after that im never flying to t2 at peak hour.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

Gregd75

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:44 am

totesen wrote:

You’re right. Best not to fly at peak times into T2. Problem solved.

I guess you mean the AM47 that arrives in at 21.55 - 2 hours to get out of an international flight from South America isn’t that surprising. Is it?
Last edited by Gregd75 on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

AM764
Topic Author

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 am

Planetalk wrote:
The Mexico experience is certainly a lot better than the so called departure lounge I had to endure at Miami last Sunday, on a flight to MEX funny enough. I arrived early as I like to do usually and relax and have something to eat and drink. Only to find myself in a tiny hall with a cafe, a duty free and one bar, it was the F concourse I think. Oh and a pizza hut, mustn't forget that. An international departure lounge. I've been in airports in rural cities in South America that offer more entertainment.

Whether the referendum was a sham or not, while its not how things should be done, I assure you most Mexicans couldn't care less about the airport. Terminal 1 isn't great, nit no worse than plenty in the USA, Stansted, Gatwick in peak season which is a zoo. I also generally wait far longer at US immigration than Mexican. So while it may be terribly uncomfortable for some of you, it just really isn't a priority.

As for that article about the minimum wage I note it doesn't mention how much above the minimum wage people earn, and if you believe only 1000 people in the country live on it, I have a bridge to sell you.

The fact that a new airport is not one of the first three things that come to mind when talking about Mexico City's problems doesn't make it less of a necessity, especially when looking at the city as a hub and a growing tourist destination.

There's a very simple GDP equation that people (like AMLO) often forget, that being GDP=Private Consumption+Private Investment+Government Expense+Net Exports. The new MEX was going to bring all first three.

Infrastructure -like many other nations have figured out- is a long-term investment that creates wealth and attracts economic activity. MEX was not able to compete with hubs like PTY due to its high altitude, but airplanes like the 787, A350, 737 MAX, and A320neo, make it operationally and economically competitive. It's a shame that we're going to end up having a similar system like that of Buenos Aires, where you have to drive for an hour to connect from an international flight to a domestic one.

MEX with adequate infrastructure could easily be handling 60M or more passengers per year today.

itripreport

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:12 am

Some of you haven't endured Mexico city Airport the way I have and it shows. Yes the airport has a good variety of shops, but during peak hours, its impossible to even find a seat, find a charging station, or find a store with less than 15. people in line. Then don't get me started with the arrival. I fly yo Mexico City airport 3 times a month, and 70% of that time, our flight always gets delayed over 30 minutes due to atc delays. And even then, I've experienced over an hour of taxi before due to a high amount of traffic backing up into a single taxiway.

Gregd75

Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:24 am

itripreport wrote:
Some of you haven't endured Mexico city Airport the way I have and it shows.

You’re right! Some people have learned how to adjust their travel plans in order to avoid the pain.

1. Fly out early in the morning - there are less delays. Even though you wait a long time to take off, arrival is usually on-time.
2. Fly back on one of the first flights arriving into the airport. The first wave of flights back aren’t usually delayed.
3. Stay the night at the destination ;-)

Any flights from 5pm onwards are often delayed, especially in the rainy season from about June to September.

A tip. Duty-free never has 15 people waiting in line. 7-11 neither. In T1 theres a place by gate 10 called Gloria Jean’s coffee- its good and rarely people waiting.

If you fly 3 times a month, then maybe you qualify for frequent flier status, and you can use the lounges. Always space to sit down, snacks, drinks, sockets to charge - everything you say you need. Its there!

I know MEX is not ideal but it is what it is, and the best thing is for the passenger to adapt so then you don’t get upset.

totesen

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:34 pm

Gregd75 wrote:
totesen wrote:

You’re right. Best not to fly at peak times into T2. Problem solved.

I guess you mean the AM47 that arrives in at 21.55 - 2 hours to get out of an international flight from South America isn’t that surprising. Is it?

The issue was getting of the aircraft!!, interesting enough i flew the interjet flight a month earlier from Lima that has a similar schedule, and T1 was way faster because of gate availability. We also parked at a remote stand at the south gates, but we didnt have to wait over an hour to get it.

The wait on south america flights is crazy, i agree but i try to fly with only carry on luggage when flying to from south america because of the additional dog luggage screening that usually delays the delivery of the bags for an extra hour.

i agree with the comments here, MEX is an embarrassment. But the main problem seems to be management and administration, its incredibly inefficient.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

Planetalk

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:23 pm

itripreport wrote:
Some of you haven't endured Mexico city Airport the way I have and it shows. Yes the airport has a good variety of shops, but during peak hours, its impossible to even find a seat, find a charging station, or find a store with less than 15. people in line. Then don't get me started with the arrival. I fly yo Mexico City airport 3 times a month, and 70% of that time, our flight always gets delayed over 30 minutes due to atc delays. And even then, I've experienced over an hour of taxi before due to a high amount of traffic backing up into a single taxiway.

Welcome to Heathrow! I've flown out of Mexico countless times and only been delayed once which was due to airline incompetence. Yes there can be heavy delays in the rainy season but that applies to anywhere with a monsoon climate. Imagine most European airports trying to handle skies that are 80% embedded cumulonimbus. I think they do rather well.

Planetalk

Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:29 pm

IAHWorldflyer wrote:

Again, this happens at airports all over the world. My parents waited an hour for a stand at LHR. The point is, although it's important to us on an aviation forum, a slightly bigger airport will not substantially help most Mexicans. It is already the 15th busiest airport in the world by departures. The idea a new airport is the key to solving Mexico's problems is laughable.

A lot of political and economic nonsense here that seems to have come straight from fox news

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos