sonicruiser
Topic Author

3-6hr delays ORD

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:18 am

Just looked on FR24, looks like there are numerous delays, some flights delayed 3hrs, some delayed up to 6hrs, many in between. Saw many arrivals stacked up holding over Lake Michigan a few hours ago, TP diverted to MKE.

Delayed 4hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH431/238f2084

Delayed 5hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/CSN438/238f8b85

Delayed 6hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL566/238f664e

TP diversion: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 3#238dd7fe

Bad wx in Chicago area?
Last edited by sonicruiser on Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Martin Luther King wasn't assassinated because he was dreaming. He was assassinated because he woke up."-Louis Farrakhan

bigb

Re: 3-6hr delays ORD

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:19 am

Snow and ice and currently see a ground stop there...

barney captain

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:20 am

180203Z 11016G24KT 1 3/4SM -SN BR FEW010 OVC016 M03/M04 A3030 RMK AO2 P0000 T10281039
Southeast Of Disorder

Planeboy17

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:21 am

Yes, snow has been falling since 4 pm. About 4 inches here in Gurnee, a superb about 20 miles north of ORD. The winds have picked up as well.

Scarebus34

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:22 am

The City of Chicago is incompetent when it comes to keeping a runway open. Downright awful. How the airlines continue to put up with this is beyond me.

strfyr51

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:39 am

as usual about this time of year, Cold wet sloppy snow. I Loved my 12 years working in Chicago for United and Hated all 12 winters, It wasn't the cold or wind as I'd been stationed in colder and windier places in the Navy. (Brunswick Maine, Adak Alaska, Keflavik Iceland, and Misawa Japan.) But after a while? It wears on you. I haven't had to wear much more than a jacket since I retired and Moved back to Northern California. Hell! If you're going to starve to death? Ain't no percentage in Freezing to death while you're doing it!

gabik001

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:43 am

I am living 3mi in a straight line from ORD and about 3 inches of snow here with wind gust accumulation to about 6-7 inches and growing. I'm not suprised about what is going on at O'Hare. But can hear departing a/c's from ORD.
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

maps4ltd

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:47 am

Not uncommon. They've been using the crosswinds a few times today already. As a side note, no snow 200 miles south in St. Louis. Seems to be confined in MN/North Illinois/WI.
Delta Gold Medallion

strfyr51

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:49 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
The City of Chicago is incompetent when it comes to keeping a runway open. Downright awful. How the airlines continue to put up with this is beyond me.

Actually? the city is pretty good at clearing snow on the roads and the Airport? What they need? Is a Deicing rack where planes can taxi through to get de-iced but it would take a Billion or more to install and couldn't be used for the A380 or the 747. Ut coukd however be used for any twin engine airplane. . Trouble is? Who is going to pay for it and Maintain it/. especially the catch Basin and the filters?

Weatherwatcher1

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:49 am

UA 1897 from LAX to ORD got as far as Kansas before deciding to return to LAX because of the groundstop.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KLAX/KLAX

maps4ltd

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:52 am

Scarebus34 wrote:

I mean, you've got to remember that the two furthest apart parallel runways (10R/28L and 9L/27R) are over 3 miles apart.
Delta Gold Medallion

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:05 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
UA 1897 from LAX to ORD got as far as Kansas before deciding to return to LAX because of the groundstop.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KLAX/KLAX

Yikes
"Martin Luther King wasn't assassinated because he was dreaming. He was assassinated because he woke up."-Louis Farrakhan

Scarebus34

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:09 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Actually? the city is pretty good at clearing snow on the roads and the Airport? What they need? Is a Deicing rack where planes can taxi through to get de-iced but it would take a Billion or more to install and couldn't be used for the A380 or the 747. Ut coukd however be used for any twin engine airplane. . Trouble is? Who is going to pay for it and Maintain it/. especially the catch Basin and the filters?

No. The city is not very good at keeping the runways clean. No matter how much or little it snows. They are terrible at it. It gets worse every year. Whatever they are doing isn’t working and they did promise this year they would do better. Well, they haven’t.

strfyr51

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:15 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

No. The city is not very good at keeping the runways clean. No matter how much or little it snows. They are terrible at it. It gets worse every year. Whatever they are doing isn’t working and they did promise this year they would do better. Well, they haven’t.

their only hope is steam Heated runways and ramp areas but sine the Airport was built without them? a retrofit would mean an entire new Airport,

marktci

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 am

YYZ got EVA Air BR56 as a diversion.

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:28 am

Quick scan of FR24:

AA1969 ORD-PHX Delayed 3hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/AAL1969/238f930f

AA3578 ORD-XNA Delayed 3hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/ENY3578/238fa243

UA4691 ORD-SDF Delayed 3hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/LOF4691/238fa2e9

AA2364 ORD-LAX Delayed 4hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/AAL2364/238f3aa3

NH111 ORD-HND Delayed 5hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/ANA111/238efb15

AA630 ORD-PHX Delayed 5hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/AAL630/238f0ca3

AA18 ORD-CLT Delayed 5hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/AAL18/238f1ea3

DL1214 ORD-LGA Delayed 6hrs: https://www.flightradar24.com/DAL1214/238f25c6
Last edited by sonicruiser on Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ORDfan

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:34 am

Scarebus34 wrote:

Great exposition, yet somehow CDA is still able to accommodate 7 million+ pax/month at ORD, even in Q1... maybe the airlines put up with it because they can still seat 7 million+ pax/month.

ORDfan

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:37 am

strfyr51 wrote:
as usual about this time of year, Cold wet sloppy snow. I Loved my 12 years working in Chicago for United and Hated all 12 winters, It wasn't the cold or wind as I'd been stationed in colder and windier places in the Navy. (Brunswick Maine, Adak Alaska, Keflavik Iceland, and Misawa Japan.) But after a while? It wears on you. I haven't had to wear much more than a jacket since I retired and Moved back to Northern California. Hell! If you're going to starve to death? Ain't no percentage in Freezing to death while you're doing it!

It's not actually wet snow tonight, it's really light and fluffy. You can sweep this stuff of the sidewalks. It's the kind of snow that usually super cold temps bring, but it's not that cold (by Chicago standards), but it's coming down pretty quickly, windy, and blowing around. Heard on the news that visibility was less than half-a-mile at ORD and MDW both.

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 am

ORDfan wrote:
It's not actually wet snow tonight, it's really light and fluffy. You can sweep this stuff of the sidewalks. It's the kind of snow that usually super cold temps bring, but it's not that cold (by Chicago standards), but it's coming down pretty quickly, windy, and blowing around. Heard on the news that visibility was less than half-a-mile at ORD and MDW both.

Sounds about right based on ABC7's live cams

sonicruiser
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:53 am

About 1-5 inches snow expected overnight for the first snowstorm of the year. Looks like the good old Chicago winter is finally back after an icy Halloween and a very warm Christmas :D

About 800 cancellations so far, it's going to be a long night at ORD.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/1/17/ ... ng-commute

Planeboy17

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:04 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

They opened one up on the west side of the airport. I have used it twice this year. Not sure how many planes can use it at once but can say that it’s at least several.

Seat1F

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:09 am

Lots of diversions of ORD-bound flights into DTW Friday evening. At least three widebodies (LH from FRA, LH from MUC, UA from LHR). Looks like the UA flight did still make it out and land in ORD late on Friday. Seems the two LH flights (one A346 and one A350) will RON at DTW. Also lots of domestic diversions into DTW for DL but also UA, AA, and AS. Friday evening must have been very busy at the North Terminal. SE Michigan is supposed to get pounded by the storm overnight and into Saturday morning...so DTW may be having its own operational issues on Saturday.

chidino

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:39 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

They opened one up on the west side of the airport. I have used it twice this year. Not sure how many planes can use it at once but can say that it’s at least several.

There are 5 pads, each good for 1 WB (Group 6 included) or 4 NB/regionals at a time. UA runs two, AA runs two, DL and unaffiliates share the remaining pad. I would assume AA and UA take care of at least the prominent partners (BA, JAL, IB, NH, LH, etc). And, yes, the deicing fluid is collected and recycled, as opposed to the old "flush it into the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District" method.

ordpark

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:10 am

Scarebus34 wrote:

Don't know what you're basing that statement on.....I work at ORD and they do an excellent job.....Heavy snow and strong winds would challenge ANY airports ability to keep runways open...

KDCA

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:17 pm

It was a real mess last night. I was onboard AA 2323. A 17:00 flight to MIA. It started snowing right at 4pm. The unbind landed on time and typical for AA, they showed us on time right up until boarding time. Problem was, the aircraft was stuck in traffic on the ramp in the building blizzard and didn’t pull into the gate until almost 5pm.

Slight delay, no problem...we board and push back to deice around 6pm. We finish in the alley and taxi out to the west toward the 10s. Problem: we stop on the taxiway where our bounds are rotating and it’s still snowing. Then apparently coyotes ran onto the runway and the city had to halt departures and clear the runway. We timed out on our deicing and didn’t have enough gas to use the west deicing pad and get dispatched, so back to the gate for deice and gas.

Pull in and the pilot says ok gas and deice and go, gate agent said everyone off and the. They cancelled the flight about 3 hours after original departure time.

FlyingElvii

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:21 pm

KDCA wrote:
It was a real mess last night. I was onboard AA 2323. A 17:00 flight to MIA. It started snowing right at 4pm. The unbind landed on time and typical for AA, they showed us on time right up until boarding time. Problem was, the aircraft was stuck in traffic on the ramp in the building blizzard and didn’t pull into the gate until almost 5pm.

Slight delay, no problem...we board and push back to deice around 6pm. We finish in the alley and taxi out to the west toward the 10s. Problem: we stop on the taxiway where our bounds are rotating and it’s still snowing. Then apparently coyotes ran onto the runway and the city had to halt departures and clear the runway. We timed out on our deicing and didn’t have enough gas to use the west deicing pad and get dispatched, so back to the gate for deice and gas.

Pull in and the pilot says ok gas and deice and go, gate agent said everyone off and the. They cancelled the flight about 3 hours after original departure time.

Welcome to O’Hare in the Winter....

jayunited

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:51 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:

What major airport is able to keep all runways open during a snow storm?

Before coming to Willis Tower I spent 18 years on the ramp at ORD and if there is one thing the City gets right it is snow removal at ORD. The only time during that 18 year history that I ever saw the City of Chicago give up was during the blizzard in 2011 that literally shut down all of Northern Illinois (people were trapped in their cars for 8+ hours on Lake Shore Drive). Besides that event ORD during snow and ice events keeps at least 2 runways open sometimes 3, and most times it is the two longest runways that they focus on. It takes at least 25-30 minutes for the crews to clean the runways and the frequency of the closure depends on the type of contaminant that is falling and how much is falling within a certain time frame.The last thing anyone wants to see is braking action NIL for a runway. So closing down a runway periodically for the crews to do their job is absolutely important and there is no way ORD or any major hub could accommodate a normal arrival rate during a snow storm when coupled with high winds.

The City of Chicago is incompetent as it pertains to ORD construction (people mover), but snow removal from the runways and taxiways those people are out there sometimes working 16-20 hour shifts to keep that airport open.

usflyer msp

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:57 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:

Methinks you know nothing about field maintainence. ORD staff do a great job especially considering the volume of flights and # of runways they have to deal with.

AMollenhauer9

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:00 pm

jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Before coming to Willis Tower I spent 18 years on the ramp at ORD and if there is one thing the City gets right it is snow removal at ORD. The only time during that 18 year history that I ever saw the City of Chicago give up was during the blizzard in 2011 that literally shut down all of Northern Illinois (people were trapped in their cars for 8+ hours on Lake Shore Drive). Besides that event ORD during snow and ice events keeps at least 2 runways open sometimes 3, and most times it is the two longest runways that they focus on. It takes at least 25-30 minutes for the crews to clean the runways and the frequency of the closure depends on the type of contaminant that is falling and how much is falling within a certain time frame.The last thing anyone wants to see is braking action NIL for a runway. So closing down a runway periodically for the crews to do their job is absolutely important and there is no way ORD or any major hub could accommodate a normal arrival rate during a snow storm when coupled with high winds.

The City of Chicago is incompetent as it pertains to ORD construction (people mover), but snow removal from the runways and taxiways those people are out there sometimes working 16-20 hour shifts to keep that airport open.

Minneapolis is quite good at it. As someone who moved from Chicago to Minneapolis, MSP is in much better shape when it snows. I realize that it is not as busy of an airport, but typically they can keep things running very smoothly during snowstorms.

jcwr56

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Interesting....Did you sit in on any of the meetings that you can make this statement or can you actually provide a source for your comment?

Just a question being asked.

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:28 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Minneapolis is quite good at it. As someone who moved from Chicago to Minneapolis, MSP is in much better shape when it snows. I realize that it is not as busy of an airport, but typically they can keep things running very smoothly during snowstorms.

Apples and oranges. MSP can operate normally on two runways. ORD can’t.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

sprxUSA

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:35 pm

"Anchorage got twice as much and they're clean."
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

ericm2031

Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:38 pm

This happens at any congested airport. When weather hits, it becomes even more of a mess than it already is. ORD, any of the NY airports, SFO...

Less congested airports like MSP and DEN have much more room and capacity when weather hits.

deebee278

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
"Anchorage got twice as much and they're clean."

Great! I'm old enough to 'get' that :D

jayunited

Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 pm

AMollenhauer9 wrote:
jayunited wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Really??

CBS4 Minnesota would beg to differ with your assessment, on yesterday according to CBS4, 2 out of 4 runways at MSP were closed do to weather which resulted in over 150 cancellations during the same storm that impacted ORD. Also keep in mind MSP does not have the same volume of flights as ORD. Today January 18th airlines at ORD have canceled a total of 86 originating flights, while airines at MSP have canceled 21 originating flights. Again considering the volume of flights ORD handles compared to MSP on a daily basis the City of Chicago does a great job at keeping ORD open for business.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/44 ... p-airport/

Again I ask the question what major airport is able to keep all runways open during a major snow event?

MIflyer12

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:42 am

jayunited wrote:
AMollenhauer9 wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Really??

CBS4 Minnesota would beg to differ with your assessment, on yesterday according to CBS4, 2 out of 4 runways at MSP were closed do to weather which resulted in over 150 cancellations during the same storm that impacted ORD. Also keep in mind MSP does not have the same volume of flights as ORD. Today January 18th airlines at ORD have canceled a total of 86 originating flights, while airines at MSP have canceled 21 originating flights. Again considering the volume of flights ORD handles compared to MSP on a daily basis the City of Chicago does a great job at keeping ORD open for business.
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/44 ... p-airport/

Again I ask the question what major airport is able to keep all runways open during a major snow event?

You have asked a fair question. Here is another: how many of those MSP cancellations were due to a problem at origin or destination, not MSP?

IPFreely

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:42 am

AMollenhauer9 wrote:

MSP was a disaster yesterday because of snow. I would not go so far to say MSP is incompetent, but they have nothing to brag about when it comes to handling snow.

leo777

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:10 am

Some people just really love to complain! It’s not only the snow there are very strong winds!! You people calling out these small airports being clean and open after snowfall, take a seat back, relax and think before you post! This is January middle of winter at ORD no news so let’s keep it moving!
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

DEN1895

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:11 am

ericm2031 wrote:
This happens at any congested airport. When weather hits, it becomes even more of a mess than it already is. ORD, any of the NY airports, SFO...

Less congested airports like MSP and DEN have much more room and capacity when weather hits.

It does not matter which airport, if it is snowing and the visibility is limited there is really nothing the airport can do. During any moderate snow storm, 1'+, DEN drops from a 114 arrival rate down to a 30-48 arrival rate. This is with 4 runways open and crews constantly cleaning the runways, at DEN they clean runways in about 15 minutes including the 16,000' runway, so I don't know how much more can be improved short of heating the runways.

AMollenhauer9

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:21 am

I am not going to argue, but I still stand by my statement that MSP operates fairly well during snowstorms. Yes, 2 runways were closed during this snowstorm, but the airport typically operates on only 2 or 3 runways. Part of it is the deicing pads located near both ends of the two main runways allowing planes to be deiced right before they depart rather than having to taxi across the field at ORD if they are departing 28R or 22L. With the opening of the deice pad, ORD is probably better than it used to be. I am in no way declaring MSP a perfect operation during snowstorms, but they're efficient and able to keep things moving quite well. There will always be cancellations, but I do not see the crazy long takeoff lines and extreme delays that seem to be more common at ORD. I do realize this is likely because the volume of traffic at ORD is much larger.

ushermittwoch

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am

Last time I flew through ORD, I got to my final destination 11 hours late. But that was due to flying with AA.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

mcdu

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 am

ORDfan wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Great exposition, yet somehow CDA is still able to accommodate 7 million+ pax/month at ORD, even in Q1... maybe the airlines put up with it because they can still seat 7 million+ pax/month.

The CDA is a criminal enterprise. There have been numerous reports over the years of the crooked dealings they have participated and facilitated.

thegreatRDU

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 am

Seat1F wrote:
Lots of diversions of ORD-bound flights into DTW Friday evening. At least three widebodies (LH from FRA, LH from MUC, UA from LHR). Looks like the UA flight did still make it out and land in ORD late on Friday. Seems the two LH flights (one A346 and one A350) will RON at DTW. Also lots of domestic diversions into DTW for DL but also UA, AA, and AS. Friday evening must have been very busy at the North Terminal. SE Michigan is supposed to get pounded by the storm overnight and into Saturday morning...so DTW may be having its own operational issues on Saturday.

My flight from CLT diverted to DTW also.
Add a BA 772 to the list...they diverted and RON'ed. You're correct the UA 763 made it out. It was snowing hard overnight in DTW and the crews were hard at work. By morning time on Saturday everything was under control and delays were just attributed to deicing...
Our Returning Champion

ORDfan

Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:21 am

mcdu wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

The CDA is a criminal enterprise. There have been numerous reports over the years of the crooked dealings they have participated and facilitated.

Haha, wrong forum broski. #sixcontinentsclub

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos