Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Transavia 737 Takes Off With Gear Pin In

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:01 pm

TRANSAVIA BOEING LANDS WITH LOCKED WHEELS

AMSTERDAM - A Boeing 737-800 from Transavia blocked the Buitenveldertbaan at Schiphol for a short time after landing due to a safety pin that was still in the landing gear. After the landing, the Transavia technical department pulled out the pin, which should have been removed before Ivalo, Finland.

According to Air Traffic Control the Netherlands, the Buitenveldertbaan was kept free for a device with technical problems and other incoming air traffic was sent to the Zwanenburgbaan. A spokeswoman for Transavia confirms to Aviation News media partner NH News that it is a Boeing of them and that the HV706 has been able to make a safe landing. After removing the safety pin, the device was taxed to the gate on its own.

Investigation
Why the safety pin, which is inserted into the front wheels of the landing gear at airports in order to be able to tow the aircraft, was still in the Boeing, must be investigated.

It is not clear how it is possible that the Boeing 737-800 could use a safety pin to taxi to the runway in Ivalo. Such a pin ensures that the pilots cannot accidentally steer the device to the left or right while towing. "That too is included in the research," said the Transavia spokeswoman.

Link

How, I mean how is this possible? Like the article says, it taxi-ed out in Finland, and it can't taxi to the stand at its home? And I thought these pins are quite obvious to spot in the alk around.

I am sure one of you of our little community, can shet some light on this incident.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Rossiya747

Re: TRANSAVIA BOEING LANDS WITH LOCKED WHEELS

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:19 pm

bruh how do you even do that.
223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

CriticalPoint

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:22 pm

It sounds like it was the bypass pin......it happens

CriticalPoint

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:

AMSTERDAM - A Boeing 737-800 from Transavia blocked the Buitenveldertbaan at Schiphol for a short time after landing due to a safety pin that was still in the landing gear. After the landing, the Transavia technical department pulled out the pin, which should have been removed before Ivalo, Finland.

According to Air Traffic Control the Netherlands, the Buitenveldertbaan was kept free for a device with technical problems and other incoming air traffic was sent to the Zwanenburgbaan. A spokeswoman for Transavia confirms to Aviation News media partner NH News that it is a Boeing of them and that the HV706 has been able to make a safe landing. After removing the safety pin, the device was taxed to the gate on its own.

Investigation
Why the safety pin, which is inserted into the front wheels of the landing gear at airports in order to be able to tow the aircraft, was still in the Boeing, must be investigated.

It is not clear how it is possible that the Boeing 737-800 could use a safety pin to taxi to the runway in Ivalo. Such a pin ensures that the pilots cannot accidentally steer the device to the left or right while towing. "That too is included in the research," said the Transavia spokeswoman.

Link

How, I mean how is this possible? Like the article says, it taxi-ed out in Finland, and it can't taxi to the stand at its home? And I thought these pins are quite obvious to spot in the alk around.

I am sure one of you of our little community, can shet some light on this incident.

Also they didn’t land with the wheels locked suggest changing title.

ericm2031

Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:53 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Investigation

Link

You wouldn't do anything about it on a walk around. You don't remove it until it's pushed back.

7673mech

Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:01 pm

I think you guy are missing the point.
It was probably the landing gear down lock pin the was left in - so the gear could not be retracted.
The would only be able to taxi straight with the steering by pass pin.

kruiseri

Re: Transavia 737 Takes Off With Gear Pin In

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:03 pm

This doesn’t add up. Did they fly 3+ hrs from IVL with gear down ? Also I don’t think there is a pushback at IVL. The planes usually ”swing” in front of the terminal, there are no jet bridges there.

barney captain

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 pm

7673mech wrote:
It was probably the landing gear down lock pin the was left in - so the gear could not be retracted.

Exactly.

It's amazing how off the rails a simple issue gets taken - even by the "investigators".

Gear pins are not at all the same as the steering bypass pin typically used during pushback. Gear pins are used to lock the gear down (the culprit in this case), and are used for various mx functions - like a tire change. Up until just a few years ago, WN put the gear pins in on every overnight aircraft and it was the FO's duty on pre-flight the next morning to remove them. There was never an instance where one or more were forgotten or missed. ;)

This is hardly newsworthy - but such is the world today, especially if it involves a Boeing.
Southeast Of Disorder

Eikie

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:27 pm

barney captain wrote:
7673mech wrote:

Exactly.

It's amazing how off the rails a simple issue gets taken - even by the "investigators".

Gear pins are not at all the same as the steering bypass pin typically used during pushback. Gear pins are used to lock the gear down (the culprit in this case), and are used for various mx functions - like a tire change. Up until just a few years ago, WN put the gear pins in on every overnight aircraft and it was the FO's duty on pre-flight the next morning to remove them. There was never an instance where one or more were forgotten or missed. ;)

This is hardly newsworthy - but such is the world today, especially if it involves a Boeing.

The question is, if it were the gear pins, why would they fly for three hours to Amsterdam?
And why would they block the runway for some time after landing?

barney captain

Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:33 pm

The article appears a bit disjointed (likely due to translation) but I interpreted it as they took off, couldn't retract the gear and returned for landing.

Gear pins = nose wheel steering is available but you cannot retract that gear.

Steering bypass = No nose wheel steering available but gear will retract (but there would be no way to taxi).
Southeast Of Disorder

godsbeloved

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:54 am

They took off, flew for 3 hours landed on [email protected] stopped on the runway and where stuck there for 6 minutes until the concerning pin was removed. Thereafter the plane taxied to the gate by itself. (PH-HXB)

hOMSaR

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:32 am

barney captain wrote:
The article appears a bit disjointed (likely due to translation) but I interpreted it as they took off, couldn't retract the gear and returned for landing.

Gear pins = nose wheel steering is available but you cannot retract that gear.

Steering bypass = No nose wheel steering available but gear will retract (but there would be no way to taxi).

According to FR24, HV706 is IVL-AMS, so if the blocked the runway at AMS, they did so after the normal flight.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

marcelh

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:51 am

barney captain wrote:

I miss your point regarding “especially if it involves a Boeing”. It’s a HV bird, which happens to be a Boeing because they don’t fly an Airbus.

Avgeek21

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:56 am

Did they fly all the way back with the gear down? That is bloody noise, phenomenal drag penalty and performance issues. They'd have to stay below FL280 ish with a fuel burn of just over 3.6 tonnes per hour. Iso around 2.4 tonnes per hour. Did they have all that extra fuel? Why not swing around in IVL and pull the pin(s) out and depart again? These are 738 numbers, not 73G and I don't know the weather at IVL. (other than cold)

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:00 pm

Only thing I can imagine is that they used a towing truck to tow it to the runway in Ivalo. That's how the steering bypass could be forgotten because they didn't need it in Ivalo.

This is of course easy to check, Ivalo must have records of it. That would also make sure who would have been responsible for removing the steering bypass.

Revelation

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:39 pm

marcelh wrote:
barney captain wrote:

I miss your point regarding “especially if it involves a Boeing”. It’s a HV bird, which happens to be a Boeing because they don’t fly an Airbus.

Use the little triangle alongside the post to suggest a title change.
I agree, the fact that it's a 737 is not relevant and keeping it in the title comes across as piling on.
Referring to the flight number HV706 instead of the aircraft type would be more informative.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Tristarsteve

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:46 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Only thing I can imagine is that they used a towing truck to tow it to the runway in Ivalo. That's how the steering bypass could be forgotten because they didn't need it in Ivalo.

This is of course easy to check, Ivalo must have records of it. That would also make sure who would have been responsible for removing the steering bypass.

It must be the steering lock out pin. They would not have been able to fly with the NLG pin installed. They would have run out of fuel.

My hypothesis. On arrival one ramp worker fitted the bypass pin, expecting a pushback.
On departure, pushback was not required, so no-one had to remove the pin, and the aircraft taxied away. The ramp there is probably icy, and the aircraft was steered using engine power. On sheet ice, nose wheel steering is very ineffective.
Nose steering pins are not controlled, and every start up ramp man has his own in his pocket. (Someone in Ivalo has to find a new one now).

ps, if you tow the aircraft you need a steering pin.

barney captain

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:55 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

It must be the steering lock out pin. They would not have been able to fly with the NLG pin installed. They would have run out of fuel.

My hypothesis. On arrival one ramp worker fitted the bypass pin, expecting a pushback.
On departure, pushback was not required, so no-one had to remove the pin, and the aircraft taxied away. The ramp there is probably icy, and the aircraft was steered using engine power. On sheet ice, nose wheel steering is very ineffective.
Nose steering pins are not controlled, and every start up ramp man has his own in his pocket. (Someone in Ivalo has to find a new one now).

ps, if you tow the aircraft you need a steering pin.

Except they would have never made it to the runway. You have no nose wheel steering with the bypass pin installed - no way they 'slid' all the way to the runway using differential power. No way.
Southeast Of Disorder

aircatalonia

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Is it possible that the pin was left in such a position that the plane was only able to steer in one direction?

miegapele

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:54 pm

Could it be that plane was towed up to runway, given it's small airport and planes need to backtrack?

CanadianNorth

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 pm

Seems clear as mud what pin was left in reading the article? Poor translation I suspect.

There are two types of gear pins on the 737...

"Gear pins" = there are three pins, one for each gear leg, that lock that gear leg in the down position. Often used by maintenance for a wide variety of things, anything from only wanting to swing one gear at a time, wanting to move the gear handle in the cockpit out of the way to replace an FMS screen without the airplane falling down, etc. I've seen these get missed. Yes the pilots are supposed to confirm all the gear pins are removed and stowed on the pre-departure checks, but it's a small item and pilots are humans too. If one is left in all that will happen is that gear leg will not retract.

"Bypass pin" - locks out the hydraulic pressure to the nose wheel steering, should be installed any time a tow bar is connected. The tow bar will break your legs if you are near it and someone moves the tiller upstairs and that pin isn't in. At the airline based here the rampies typically install it while chalking the airplane on arrival, and remove it as they disconnect the tow bar after pushback for departure. If the pin is left in all that happens is the pilots can move the steering tiller all day long and the nose gear will remain pointed straight.

"How but how does this happen"... I've sent a jet on it's way with a bypass pin still in myself - it's a small item in a place you'd not normally be looking directly at, we were a little flustered in the heat of the moment as we were running late due to other issues and needed the ramp space for another airplane already landing, and maintenance was helping ramp that day as they were short staffed for whatever reason. There is a "Remove before flight" flag on the pin but the wind sometimes blows it just such that it wraps up around something in the wheel well and is no longer easily visible as you walk by, and of course that happened that day. Classic case of swiss cheese holes lining up. 100% my mistake though, I knew better but I just had a brain fart and did something dumb. I owned it all the way, told the safety department I did a dumb thing, told my ramp kids what I did and don't let me do that again, bought some beer for the crew that night and then life carried on as if nothing happened. We are all humans, it happens. What happened after was the pilots started up and taxied away, got about 30 feet, stopped, radioed me to come and look at their nose gear because it wouldn't steer, and standing in the terminal by the radio as soon as I heard the word steer I immediately I knew exactly what I just did so I went out and removed the pin, and everyone was on their way again. That's how but how that happens.

If you know how to completely eliminate human error from aviation please do share it with the airlines and authorities - you'd make millions. I'm serious.

As far as being stuck on the runway it could be just a pin in but like my case the pilots although able to taxi they had no way of knowing for sure it was a pin so did not want to taxi any further until someone looked at the gear to confirm it was just a pin and not something more serious?
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

Patroni1

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:33 pm

Gear pins are installed as a standard practice during maintenance for safety.

zuckie13

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:10 am

Is there a full mechanical connection between the tiller and nose wheel? I'm wondering if maybe ice/snow at the departure point let them manage to steer even with the pin in place. Maybe someone notified them in-flight that they pin was still in there.

jpiddink

Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Interesting development on this otherwise unspectacular event: in the aftermath of the HV airplane stuck on the runway, ATC diverted 12 airplanes to runway 36C and allowed them to land, before they realized the runway wasn’t released for service yet.

Radio traffic captured at https://youtu.be/EV-lR4pdRuA

Dutch Safety Research Board is investigating the event.

par13del

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:03 pm

barney captain wrote:
Except they would have never made it to the runway. You have no nose wheel steering with the bypass pin installed - no way they 'slid' all the way to the runway using differential power. No way.

I keep coming back to this, if it was the bypass pin, how did they ever get to the runway for take off?
If the landing gear pin, then they flew the flight with the gear down.

I will go with those two until we get more details which may include a broken pin if that is possible.

Winterapfel

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:28 pm

par13del wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Still that seems to be the story:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4d229d16

EFHK

Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:52 pm

par13del wrote:
barney captain wrote:

I keep coming back to this, if it was the bypass pin, how did they ever get to the runway for take off?

As linked above, according to avherald: "This had not been noticed on departure from Ivalo due to the slippery ground, so that they steered the aircraft with engine power rather than nose wheel steering."

And how is that possible? Welcome to Ivalo:

professorpryor

Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:16 pm

Decades ago I was on a United Express CRJ flight on which the plane took off, circled the airport (Washington-Dulles) and landed again. The captain said over the PA that he couldn't retract the landing gear (apparently because it had been locked in place with a pin). The paperwork required took about ninety minutes. Then we took off again on the same plane. Everything was done so smoothly and professionally that few of us realized there was a problem. Only the FA seemed to be upset, but for our trouble, we received *extra* inflight snacks.

barney captain

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:37 pm

Winterapfel wrote:
par13del wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Still that seems to be the story:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4d229d16

There are so many holes in this story it makes my head spin. I stand by my previous statement that there's no way the steered all the way to the runway with differential power. Just the take off roll alone would have been damn near impossible. Additionally, how in the world would they then realize airborne that the lock-out pin was still installed? None of this makes any sense.
Southeast Of Disorder

F9Animal

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:49 pm

I can give an example of how it can be forgot!!! Yep, almost happened to me. Almost. I was walking out an Airbus 321 several years ago when I worked for US Airways. Finally got out and driver requested they set brakes. All was good till I tried disconnecting the tow bar from the nose wheel! The pushback driver was still at an angle, and the damn bar wouldn't budge. I tried putting the hydraulic wheels on the tow bar up and down a few times, hoping it would at least pop off. Nope. So, I went to the push back tractor and removed the pin, and motioned him to reverse. Well... That's when all hell broke loose. I forgot to put the hydraulic wheels on the tow bar down.... Meaning, when the push back tractor moved back, the tow bar came down with a massive thud on my foot. And let me just say, steel toe boots would have saved my butt that day. I screamed in agony, and could barely walk. The pain was insane. I had to crawl to finish the duties, and remembered to pull the bypass pin from the nose wheel. Somehow I managed to crawl out and salute the crew and send them off. I know they heard this below, and they radioed if I needed an ambulance.

But, that was a very rare occasion. So, stuff can happen and things can be forgotten when something odd happens. I honestly can't believe I remembered to even remove that pin! I was in such pain and agony, all I wanted to do at that point was go home.

For those who patiently read this and wants to hear the fire? Gotcha!!! I broke a single toe!!! It snapped in half actually. Went to the hospital the next day and well, had to wear a boot. I went to work the next day, boot and all! We ramp rats are tough!!!

That bypass pin though. I don't think they can steer or anything it it's not removed, can they?
I Am A Different Animal!!

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:21 pm

I’m guessing they used Differential thrust and differential braking to get out of Ivalo. Ivalo doesn’t have a parallel taxiway so they would be making 2-3 tight turns Before takeoff. If it was icy the pilots may have thought they were just dealing with slippery conditions and not realize that they had no steering.

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:23 pm

aircatalonia wrote:
Is it possible that the pin was left in such a position that the plane was only able to steer in one direction?

It’s a hydraulic bypass pin, so the pin blocks all hydraulic pressure to the metering valve. My guess is the runway was icy and they used differential braking

barney captain

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:35 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
I’m guessing they used Differential thrust and differential braking to get out of Ivalo. Ivalo doesn’t have a parallel taxiway so they would be making 2-3 tight turns Before takeoff. If it was icy the pilots may have thought they were just dealing with slippery conditions and not realize that they had no steering.

At some point a 90 degree tun onto the runway is required. No way the did that and didn't realize they had no NWS.
Southeast Of Disorder

9MMPQ

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:07 pm

It was the bypass pin & they did use differential thrust & braking to get out. Someone i know at HV mentioned the crew was invited for a talk at head office & placed on leave. He had quite the chuckle about it as there was no tug to the runway & nobody understands how they pulled it off without asking the real questions in IVL.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

hooverman

Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:17 pm

jpiddink wrote:
Interesting development on this otherwise unspectacular event: in the aftermath of the HV airplane stuck on the runway, ATC diverted 12 airplanes to runway 36C and allowed them to land, before they realized the runway wasn’t released for service yet.

Radio traffic captured at https://youtu.be/EV-lR4pdRuA

Dutch Safety Research Board is investigating the event.

It seems to be an administrative issue. ATC wise it's just another runway change.

EFHK

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:16 am

barney captain wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

At some point a 90 degree tun onto the runway is required. No way the did that and didn't realize they had no NWS.

9MMPQ wrote:
It was the bypass pin & they did use differential thrust & braking to get out. Someone i know at HV mentioned the crew was invited for a talk at head office & placed on leave. He had quite the chuckle about it as there was no tug to the runway & nobody understands how they pulled it off without asking the real questions in IVL.

I can imagine the Swiss cheese lining up on this one.

I consider it a fact that the crew declared PAN when approaching Amsterdam, and after landing emergency services and maintenance confirmed that the pin was still in the gear. So how did it stay there?

Based on hearsay after the incident on the Internet, this winter is the first season that Ivalo airport has a pushback capability - obviously to be used in high capacity requirement situations. The HV flight wasn't actually supposed to be pushed back, but the boarding stairway next to the aircraft broke down, disabling the aircraft to get going on its own. So probably someone who might not have been all that prepared or too experienced in doing it had to push the aircraft back to get it on its way. But that someone then forgot about removing the pin...

IVL often has a lot of snow, and I checked the METARs, it had been snowing that morning. I'm willing to bet that the HV crew was much more used to milder, Mediterranean conditions on their outstations, than a completely snow-covered tarmac. It could have even been the first time they were facing such conditions. So, even before the (very) short taxi, their mindset would have probably been geared towards thinking about how the airplane would behave/steer with such a snowy ground. So when they faced difficulty with turning, it was all too easy for them to attribute it to the snowy ground!

The tricky part is how they found out about it airborne - maybe they realized it themselves, or maybe someone at IVL realized they're missing a steering pin, and informed the crew. Finns are famous for their honesty.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos