Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nightdesigns
Topic Author

Ethiopian B737 opens cockpit window in flight, twice, to clear debris from windshield

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 am

Extenuating circumstances cause for extreme measures. Is this written in a operations manual somewhere?

=====
https://avherald.com/h?article=4d1de8cc ... pW-g3yf1NY

Incident: Ethiopian B737 at Dire Dawa on Jan 9th 2020, swarm of grasshoppers

By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, Jan 12th 2020 21:26Z, last updated Wednesday, Jan 15th 2020 19:45Z
An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737-700, registration ET-ALN performing flight ET-363 from Djibouti (Djibouti) to Dire Dawa (Ethiopia), was on final approach to Dire Dawa's runway 15 when the aircraft flew through a swarm of grasshoppers and received a huge number of insect impacts into engines, windshield and nose of the aircraft. The crew went around, attempted a second approach but again needed to go around and diverted to their ultimate destination Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), where the aircraft landed safely about 90 minutes after departure from Djibouti.

The aircraft remained on the ground for about 11.5 hours for cleaning and a thorough inspection, which found no damage.

The United Nation's Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) reported on Jan 6th 2020: "The Desert Locust situation remains extremely serious in the Horn of Africa where it threatens pastures and crops in Ethiopia, Somalia and Kenya. Numerous swarms have formed in eastern Ethiopia and adjacent areas of northern Somalia. A number of large immature swarms moved south in the Ogaden of eastern Ethiopia and adjacent areas of central Somalia and reached southern Somalia, southeast Ethiopia and, on 28 December, northeast Kenya." The FAO warns a dangerous situation arises at the Horn of Africa and on both sides of the Red Sea.

On Jan 15th 2020 The Aviation Herald received information based on a screenshot reportedly showing the report of the captain of the flight, that the aircraft was on approach to Dire Dawa's runway 15 when the aircraft entered a swarm of locust, it was like rain. The windscreen wipers were not able to clear the windshield anymore. The crew went around, climbed to 8500 feet, depressurized the aircraft, opened the cockpit side window and cleaned the windscreen by hand. The same happened on second approach to Dire Dawa. The crew again climbed to 8500 feet, cleaned the windscreen by hand again and diverted to Addis Ababa.

enilria

Re: Ethiopian B737 opens cockpit window in flight, twice, to clear debris from windshield

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:39 am

How did it not tear his hand off? Weren’t they going at least 200-250mph?

jetero

Re: Ethiopian B737 opens cockpit window in flight, twice, to clear debris from windshield

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 am

What a stud!

ParkFSI

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 am

That’s a good “war story “ !
Thread killer

Pudelhund

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:14 am

wow based

Jouhou

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:38 am

Glad the industry is doing their part to help solve the locust problem... I bet those engines are an efficient way to reduce the population.
情報

zionite

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:47 am

OP: Welcome to A.net Nightdesigns

The captain was brave enough to clean the windshield by hand. Without this window cleaning bravery, it would be nearly impossible to land with zero visibility. I thought like cars, planes also had a windshield water sprayer, although with some additives and heater to prevent freezing.

planecane

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:11 am

zionite wrote:

The captain was brave enough to clean the windshield by hand. Without this window cleaning bravery, it would be nearly impossible to land with zero visibility. I thought like cars, planes also had a windshield water sprayer, although with some additives and heater to prevent freezing.

What windshield wiper/washer combo have your ever seen that would clean that quantity of squished insects? Even if a plane has fluid it wouldn't help for that.

longhauler

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:16 am

planecane wrote:
zionite wrote:

What windshield wiper/washer combo have your ever seen that would clean that quantity of squished insects? Even if a plane has fluid it wouldn't help for that.

No. There is no “washer fluid” type dispersal system to clean windshields.

In the “old days” aircraft used to have spray Rain Repellent that made it easier to see during heavy rain events. But, we were warned that if sprayed on a dry windshield, it would cause an opaque smear. Today, windshields are coated with a water repellent “permanent” coating.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Jshank83

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:25 am

enilria wrote:
How did it not tear his hand off? Weren’t they going at least 200-250mph?

I’d guess they were going below that. I think landing speed is 175ish but they can fly slower than that. I think I’ve seen stall is 110 knots if you are in landing config so they could probably have gotten it down to 150 mph. Still a lot of wind but not quite as bad.

devron

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:08 am

Creative thinking.

The root cause problem of all of this is that since the population is worried about chemtrails we really see the lotus population increasing. We need more chemtrails to keep us happy and to keep the lotus population under control.

usflyer msp

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:16 am

This is why *seasoned* African pilots are some of the best in the world. They have seen it all. Where else are you going to run into a biblical plague on final approach?

wetpantsmcgee

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:04 am

devron wrote:
Creative thinking.

The root cause problem of all of this is that since the population is worried about chemtrails we really see the lotus population increasing. We need more chemtrails to keep us happy and to keep the lotus population under control.

I don't believe chemtrails work on flowers.

L0VE2FLY

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:10 am

Lucky it wasn't a 787 or A350! :silly:

sandyb123

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 am

I must admit I was thinking ‘yeah right’ on this tread, but the video does seem to corroborate this story.

https://youtu.be/LeTKIWmCDbY

Kudos to the pilot for their quick thinking!

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

barney captain

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:41 am

cedarjet wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
This is why *seasoned* African pilots are some of the best in the world. They have seen it all. Where else are you going to run into a biblical plague on final approach?

Yet Boeing lobbyists and their ilk love pretending these guys don’t know how to fly, to protect a flawed design

I guess I'll join the "ilk" in questioning whether this was a good idea.

I wasn't there and maybe there were no other choices, but it does seem a bit dubious.
Southeast Of Disorder

Chrisba320

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am

barney captain wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Yet Boeing lobbyists and their ilk love pretending these guys don’t know how to fly, to protect a flawed design

I wasn't there and maybe there were no other choices, but it does seem a bit dubious.

What other choices? I’m sure they didn’t have the option of pulling into a sky truck stop to have the windshield cleaned. Kudos to the crew for their innovative thinking, from the YouTube video it is clear visibility would have been zero if they didn’t do something.

Boeing757rb211

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:08 am

I'm quite impressed that the news broadcaster speaking about the video actually said Boeing 737-700. Not Just Aircraft, or 737, or Airbus, or 787 Ect... :checkmark: :bigthumbsup:

barney captain

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am

Chrisba320 wrote:
barney captain wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

What other choices? I’m sure they didn’t have the option of pulling into a sky truck stop to have the windshield cleaned. Kudos to the crew for their innovative thinking, from the YouTube video it is clear visibility would have been zero if they didn’t do something.

Autoland?

I've landed with some pretty lousy fwd vis - are you sure it was truly zero or just severely limited?

There are many airliners where opening a window wouldn't be an option. What would they have done?
Southeast Of Disorder

VSMUT

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 am

Jouhou wrote:
Glad the industry is doing their part to help solve the locust problem... I bet those engines are an efficient way to reduce the population.

Sufficient quantities of insects can extinguish an engine, so not really something you want to try.

kalvado

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:20 am

barney captain wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Autoland?

I've landed with some pretty lousy fwd vis - are you sure it was truly zero or just severely limited?

There are many airliners where opening a window wouldn't be an option. What would they have done?

There is a view from inside of cockpit in the video above. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't see runway at all.

Jouhou

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:46 am

VSMUT wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Sufficient quantities of insects can extinguish an engine, so not really something you want to try.

No, but at least they're a little less crunchy than birds and their damn bones. The nerve of those birds having bones! They should be boneless.
情報

KFLLCFII

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:47 am

barney captain wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Autoland?

Find some rain.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

SimonL

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:51 am

The video shows that they had absolutely no visibility at all. Even though it is risky to clean the windshield in flight there arent many options. A landing with zero visibility is even more risky.

tonystan

Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:59 am

Some at Ethiopian has clearly pissed off Moses!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Clackers

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:07 pm

Could they not have landed on auto pilot?
And I thought runways had radar to help landings in poor visibility? Surely ADD has this?

ltbewr

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Why did they fly through it in the first place ? I suspect that it was an ongoing and known risky situation where the flight shouldn't have gone. Is it not detectable on radar ?

zeke

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:21 pm

SimonL wrote:
The video shows that they had absolutely no visibility at all. Even though it is risky to clean the windshield in flight there arent many options. A landing with zero visibility is even more risky.

What about using wipers just after making contact with the insects ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

SimProgrammer

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:29 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:

Autoland?

Find some rain.

In Ethiopia?
Drive a bus, an Airbus, easier than a London bus!

SuseJ772

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:28 pm

But... and here's the most important question, did they get ATC permission to open their window </sarcasm>

Quick thinking. All ended well. Good job. I am little with Barney Captain (who is a very experienced 737 pilot) in wondering if there were other options. But assuming there weren't, very impressed with the improvising and creative thinking to increase the survivability odds of the situation.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

T4thH

Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:57 pm

zeke wrote:
SimonL wrote:

What about using wipers just after making contact with the insects ?

So you are asking for a 100% perfect smear of insect parts, like fat, protein, intestines, liquids e.g. to cover the whole windshield? Without water, the wipers will not help, they will only perfect cover the windshield with this smear; you have to wash the insects away, but there is no wash-solution.

zeke

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:12 pm

T4thH wrote:
So you are asking for a 100% perfect smear of insect parts, like fat, protein, intestines, liquids e.g. to cover the whole windshield? Without water, the wipers will not help, they will only perfect cover the windshield with this smear; you have to wash the insects away, but there is no wash-solution.

I know from personal experience they are pretty effective removing what is left of a bird.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Tristarsteve

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:23 pm

longhauler wrote:
planecane wrote:
zionite wrote:

No. There is no “washer fluid” type dispersal system to clean windshields.

In the “old days” aircraft used to have spray Rain Repellent that made it easier to see during heavy rain events. But, we were warned that if sprayed on a dry windshield, it would cause an opaque smear. Today, windshields are coated with a water repellent “permanent” coating.

The Tristar had a windscreen washer, and rain repellent. You used the windscreen washer first, then the wipers, then gave it a dose of rain repellent.
Surprised that the washers did not last, they worked OK. But rain repellent was awful. The nozzles were always blocked, and hard to clean. Soaking in Coca Cola worked well!!

Varsity1

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:47 pm

barney captain wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Autoland?

Autoland requires a CATIII ILS and an aircraft equipped to do it and a crew trained to do it.

A lot, if not most 737's don't have auto land. Southwest for example, flies CATIII hand flown.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

T4thH

Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:56 pm

zeke wrote:
T4thH wrote:

I know from personal experience they are pretty effective removing what is left of a bird.

This was an Ethiopian airlines crew, this was not the first incident with swarms of locusts for Ethiopian airlines, so pretty sure, the Ethiopian airline crews knows best, what they can do and what they shall better not do. As we can see in the video, the crew has not used the wipers. I am more than willed to accept, that the Ethiopian airline crew has done the job accordingly.

Tristarsteve

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:

Autoland?

Autoland requires a CATIII ILS and an aircraft equipped to do it and a crew trained to do it.

A lot, if not most 737's don't have auto land. Southwest for example, flies CATIII hand flown.

If you can't see through the windscreen, you do what you can.
In Bahrain in around 1979 we met a Iraqi Airways B737-200 that had diverted in.
It had taken off from DOH en route to Bagdad, and had flown through a thunderstorm. the capt said that there was a black line on the weather radar, that they assumed was a fault so they flew through it. The plane was hit by a hailstorm. All six cockpit windows were crazed and nearly opaque. The slats and leading edge of the tailplane was missing, and the nose cones of the engines were bent sideways. They diverted to BAH because we had an ILS, and used the autopilot to land the aircraft, opening the DV windows on finals to have a look.
A team of technicians arrived from Iraq, led by a fearsome young Iraqi lady and they changed the windows, and used filler and speedtape everywhere else and flew it back.

The pilots could not believe the damage.

DocLightning

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:06 pm

I remember driving through Colorado one early summer during the breeding season for some kind of fly and my windshield got so schmutzed up that I had to stop three times in ten miles to scrape them off at a gas station. So I can only imagine what this would be like in an airplane flying through a biblical swarm of locusts.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:09 pm

zeke wrote:

Interestingly, insects have a much higher protein content (~80% by dry mass) than a bird (~40-50% by dry mass). Protein tends to get really sticky (which is why it's so awful if someone eggs your car).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

dtw2hyd

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:20 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
Find some rain.

How high an ARFF truck can shoot water? Maybe a low pass?
All posts are just opinions.

Bhoy

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
If you can't see through the windscreen, you do what you can.
In Bahrain in around 1979 we met a Iraqi Airways B737-200 that had diverted in.
It had taken off from DOH en route to Bagdad, and had flown through a thunderstorm. the capt said that there was a black line on the weather radar, that they assumed was a fault so they flew through it. The plane was hit by a hailstorm. All six cockpit windows were crazed and nearly opaque. The slats and leading edge of the tailplane was missing, and the nose cones of the engines were bent sideways. They diverted to BAH because we had an ILS, and used the autopilot to land the aircraft, opening the DV windows on finals to have a look.
A team of technicians arrived from Iraq, led by a fearsome young Iraqi lady and they changed the windows, and used filler and speedtape everywhere else and flew it back.

The pilots could not believe the damage.

Not forgetting BA9 coming back to KUL after the Volcanic ash induced in-flight shut down of all 4 engines, with the Windscreen effectively sandblasted with ash, not allowing any forward view.

spacecadet

Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:04 pm

This is actually SOP in at least some airliners. For example, I know the E-Jets and at least some A32X's have this as the last ditch procedure in the QRH if visibility is insufficient for landing and autoland is not available (which it never is in the E-Jets). I'm not sure of other airliners, but it may be SOP in the 737 as well. Usually there is a max speed given for it, but it's usually much higher than you'd be on final approach. Technically the procedure is to open the window and just look out, but it's probably safer to just try to clean the window than sticking your head out, and you're not going to rip your hand off at 150 knots.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

IADCA

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:08 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:
Find some rain.

How high an ARFF truck can shoot water? Maybe a low pass?

Not sure you've thought this one through, or even at all. How are you safely going to make a low pass - low enough for a firetruck to spray you with water, and directly over the truck - if you can't see? If you have the equipment, training, and certification to do that, why wouldn't you just land?

Q

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:08 pm

737 uses a full flaps and slow speed just like landing so the pilot is able to open window and wash front windshield as fast as he can best do. Copilot is flying so captain is washing the window then divert to airport arrive using ILS for safety reasons. Good job pilots.

Q

ewt340

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:21 pm

I'm pretty sure at 8500ft they could deployed some flaps and reduces the speed to below 200 mph.

airtechy

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Maybe they could try an improved version of this ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390.

barney captain

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 pm

There have been many examples of aircraft safely landing with limited forward visibility. I'm glad this improvised technique worked out for this crew, I'm just not sure it's a path I would have taken. I've looked at the video and while certainly restricted, I'm not convinced there was zero forward visibility. The only approved procedure I'm aware of in Boeing aircraft is using goggles to look out the open L2 window - but staying safely out of the slipstream. You would never stick your head or any part of your body out of the window.

Here's the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEMcD-RWA9A

Southeast Of Disorder

ABpositive

Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 am

devron wrote:
Creative thinking.

They should establish bird colonies around the airport to keep the locus population down...

69bug

Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:40 am

So on the Dc-8 they would have to stick their arm out and clean the windows? No wipers on that aircraft!.

bug

Acey559

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:43 am

Varsity1 wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Chrisba320 wrote:

Autoland?

If the airplane was capable of autoland, and not hand-flown CATIIIa as you mentioned, a CATIII ILS isn’t required. Any autoland equipped plane will autoland just fine with a vanilla CATI ILS. A CATIII is of course required if the airport is experiencing low visibility but this was a unique issue.

Heck, even if it was CATIIIa with HGS, you could still follow that down to a dead stop on the runway if need be. When I was at QX, I was paired with an upgrading captain and as an exercise to get him comfortable with the HGS, they had him fly all the way to a dead stop on the runway with zero visibility. When the brake was set, they raised the visibility and were dead on centerline every time. Pretty cool stuff.

But I have no idea how these 737s are equipped so none of that may have been an option, but if either of the above were, I’d take either option above scraping the windscreen in flight! Even if the plane was autoland capable but the operator wasn’t approved for it, that falls under emergency authority. But I wasn’t there so it’s easy to armchair quarterback from the comfort of my bed. :)
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

enzo011

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:53 am

Here is a screenshot of the windshield from the newsclip linked above.