Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atlflyer
Topic Author

LAX T6 Modernization

Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 pm

In the LAWA 2019 Year in Review, it states T6 Modernization will begin shortly. Anyone know any further details? I was unaware it would receive more improvements.

MODERNIZATION OF EVERY TERMINAL AT LAX

Every terminal at LAX is being modernized, including a $1.86-billion project at Terminals 2 and 3, and a $1.6 billion renovation of Terminals 4 and 5. Modernization of Terminal 6 begins later this year.. In 2019, a designer was selected for the Midfield Satellite Concourse South, an eight-gate addition to the 15-gate MSC North. Work is also well underway for Terminal 1.5, which will provide increased baggage claim area, new ticketing counters and will ultimately allow passengers to move between Terminal 1 and 2 beyond security screening. It will also connect to the new automated people mover in 2023. VIDEO
https://www.lawa.org/en/news-releases/2 ... elease-004

gmcc

Re: LAX T6 Modernization

Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:14 pm

I guess it depends on what they actually mean by T6 modernization.
It could mean just the T core

http://www.laxterminalcores.com

The T Core portion of T6 has already started and has AS down to one baggage conveyor. That can make for a pretty miserable checked bag experience at times. Plus a couple of of improvements in circulation such as an above ground connector from T6 to T5.

Or it could be a more extensive remodel that was proposed in the lease renewal between LAWA and AS which included some regauging of gates and a rebuilt of around 8 gates. The release is just vague enough to not really know what it might be. Guess we should know for sure by Dec 31 2020 :duck:

LAXBUR

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:04 am

I’ve never had an issue with T6. Always seems to function well enough relative to LAX. Seating is limited, but that isn’t a unique issue. Not that it couldn’t use improvement but seems ok to me. Maybe I’m not there at peak times.

gmcc

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:17 am

LAXBUR. I agree it works well enough and the baggage thing will work itself out once they get done with the terminal core work. If there is one thing that I would change it would be the multiple hights of the loading floor. I understand why they are what they are but it leads to a bit of a disjointed feeling. It would be nice if it was all on one level post security.

cooley21

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:48 am

Greetings all. Due to California's CEQA laws, a lot of information regarding project is found via their environmental clearance. Below are the environmental documents for renovations for T-6 and as a bonus T-4 as well.

https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/l ... n_draft_nd

https://www.lawa.org/-/media/lawa-web/l ... cured.ashx

atlflyer wrote:
In the LAWA 2019 Year in Review, it states T6 Modernization will begin shortly. Anyone know any further details? I was unaware it would receive more improvements.

MODERNIZATION OF EVERY TERMINAL AT LAX

Every terminal at LAX is being modernized, including a $1.86-billion project at Terminals 2 and 3, and a $1.6 billion renovation of Terminals 4 and 5. Modernization of Terminal 6 begins later this year.. In 2019, a designer was selected for the Midfield Satellite Concourse South, an eight-gate addition to the 15-gate MSC North. Work is also well underway for Terminal 1.5, which will provide increased baggage claim area, new ticketing counters and will ultimately allow passengers to move between Terminal 1 and 2 beyond security screening. It will also connect to the new automated people mover in 2023. VIDEO
https://www.lawa.org/en/news-releases/2 ... elease-004

ldvaviation

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:56 am

atlflyer wrote:

See this:
https://www.lawa.org/en/lawa-our-lax/en ... on-project

gmcc

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:27 am

Cooley21 thanks for the T6 environmental impact. I had not seen that before.

blacksoviet

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 am

How many gates at T6 are widebody-capable?

usxguy

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:22 am

xx

gmcc

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:51 pm

They are actually keeping the two wide body gate, which I think Air Canada might use. The two new gates will be in the connector portion which is getting wider, of the terminal. It seems yo me they might be missing an opportunity to add more retail space in the satellite portion by added a level a la seatac. The satellite has a lot of volume but not a lot of square footage.

cschleic

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:51 pm

For T6, looks like it includes expanding the AS lounge which is desperately needed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos