Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B789
Topic Author

Tanker fighting Australian bushfires crashes

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:05 am

Not much information yet but according to reports a "Large tanker" has been lost in southern NSW. Helicopters currently searching.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... eport.html

Pcoder

Re: Tanker fighting Australian bushfires crashes

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 am

lightsaber

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:52 am

Sad. It is risky fighting fires. My thoughts go out to the families.
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

BoeingVista

Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:55 am

lightsaber wrote:
Sad. It is risky fighting fires. My thoughts go out to the families.

Unfortunately at least the 3rd firefighting aircraft crash in a year in Australia. Firefighting is dangerous work whether on the ground or in the air
BV

zeeth

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 am

Three crew fatalities confirmed regrettably. All three crew were US citizens. Coulson C130 N134CG
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... aro-region

sprxUSA

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:46 am

Wonder if wings seperated like the H&P C-130 in Calif years ago?
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

aerorobnz

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:51 pm

Very sad indeed, I believe this to be the one I was very kindly able to visit onboard with the team who gave me a guided tour onboard that and the DC10 when it was based at San Bernardino. They were very welcoming to me as a plane spotter and aviation enthusiast from the ither side of the world and I thanked them very much for their heroic service. I sincerely hope it wasn't those guys, but I do know that if they have been taken, they died doing what they loved. Their passion for their work shone through.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

smokeybandit

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Reminds me of the 1989 movie Always

ual747den

Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:17 am

I know the owner of this aircraft very well, my thoughts and prayers are with the families of the crew. It is a terrible tragedy when a firefighter dies in the line of duty, that is something I will never get used to and something that never becomes less sad. This crew was fighting the fire from above and providing support to their coworkers on the ground to make sure everybody was safe and they lost their life trying to protect others. I hope everyone recognizes This Crew as the heroes they are and recognizes that they are also firefighters. May we never forget these firefighters who gave it all in the line of duty and keep those who do this every single day not far from our thoughts.

God bless this crew and God bless the firefighters
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

VirginFlyer

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:41 am

Video of this accident has been put up on YouTube. Looks like the aircraft is structurally fine throughout the drop sequence, then enters a smoke cloud, then shortly after arrives at the ground.

https://youtu.be/84Dhkw2PwuE

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

N14AZ

Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:40 pm

VirginFlyer wrote:
Video of this accident has been put up on YouTube. Looks like the aircraft is structurally fine throughout the drop sequence, then enters a smoke cloud, then shortly after arrives at the ground.

V/F

Strange. You cannot see what happened after the aircraft enters the smoke cloud. Would be good to know what the man saw who shot that video. Although, he maybe didn’t see much either.

T4thH

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:35 pm

N14AZ wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:

V/F

Strange. You cannot see what happened after the aircraft enters the smoke cloud. Would be good to know what the man saw who shot that video. Although, he maybe didn’t see much either.

Possibly a whiteout, they have dropped the extinguishing agent, hove flown in the cloud, lost the skyline and orientation and were just not aware, they were on the way to the ground. If the crew expected, that the smoke cloud is thin...and missed to check the gyro horizon right in time...

Has the C130 had a black box on board?

RyanairGuru

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:24 pm

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01- ... fmredir=sm

The crew were posthumously recognised with an RFS Commissioner's Commendation in a ceremony attended by the families of two of the victims.

That article also says that ATSB have the CVR and expect to release a preliminary report in a month.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

md83ftw

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:45 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-30/nsw-bushfire-air-tanker-crash-victims-honoured-at-memorial-serv/11913924?pfmredir=sm

The crew were posthumously recognised with an RFS Commissioner's Commendation in a ceremony attended by the families of two of the victims.

That article also says that ATSB have the CVR and expect to release a preliminary report in a month.

I'm so glad that their heroism has been recognised. It does make me a little sad that this accident has so 'flown under the radar' relative to the recent crash of a multi-millionaire going about his daily helicopter commute.

Thank you for fighting our fires Coulson! We are eternally grateful for you contributing to the effort and for the losses you have suffered doing so.

PC12Fan

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:51 pm

Pure speculation on my part as I know nothing of flying in the firefighting role.

It appears that he flew into a smoke cloud. Would it not be substantially hotter in this airmass? If it is, desity is much less . . . potential for a stall in less dense air mass?
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos